"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Karuu30 said:

I pulled a random Leanne, she is the first one I have but is -spd +def. Should I build her or keep her for fodder? 

Do you have other Dancers or Singers you can use freely?

Refreshing units generally don't see combat unless they are forced into it, and Leanne lacking a color means there's not even a certain type of unit she can bait in and expect to live against. And as a Flying Dancer who can potentially have 3 move, that's just even more reason to keep her around.

...there's also the fact that she's not exactly the best for fodder. Mirror Stance is probably her best fodder skill, but it's not exactly a highly desired skill except with magic tanks, where Hone Beasts is probably second best (great if running a Beast team, especially if Kaden is around) and Flier Formation... eh.

10 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Refreshing units generally don't see combat unless they are forced into it, and Leanne lacking a color means there's not even a certain type of unit she can bait in and expect to live against.

You have a point. I decide to keep and build her for full support.

I was thinking which B-skill is better for her, as a dancer WoM is obviously a good choice but she have 3 movement when transformed so... would a chill be better than WoM?

I’m planning to use her in a beast/dragon emblem if it helps to choose a skill

1 minute ago, Karuu30 said:

You have a point. I decide to keep and build her for full support.

I was thinking which B-skill is better for her, as a dancer WoM is obviously a good choice but she have 3 movement when transformed so... would a chill be better than WoM?

I’m planning to use her in a beast/dragon emblem if it helps to choose a skill

Depending on the units you put in that Beast/Dragon team, each Chill will serve a different purpose.

~Chill Atk is generally good for all units, as it means the strongest foe is... well, not that strong anymore. It doesn't have any impact on boosting damage of course.
~Chill Spd lets the more offensive of beasts get in follow-up attacks. Panne, Lethe, Ranulf, just to name a few. It does not have that great an impact on defensive units, Caineghis and the most popular of Dragons, since defensive units generally drop all Spd anyway, and it especially becomes useless when fighting exclusively defensive units, though there are a few Spd tanks out there...
~Chill Def and Res do affect damage dealt. Which you take would depend on which of Beasts or Dragons you take in, as Beasts do exclusively Physical damage while Dragons, while dealing Adeptive damage to ranged units, otherwise do Magical.

You can also consider a Sabotage. While it means she needs to boost her Res, and while yes Sabotage skills right now are very rare, it does affect more than one target for pretty much the same debuff. Just something to consider once Sabotages become more available.

As for if to take a Chill or WoM, I'd say do a Chill. WoM is great for Dancers because their otherwise 2 move can mean they can't reach their allies who are in the thick of battle, but having 3 move means Leanne is able to reach most any ally as long as she is positioned correctly.

30 minutes ago, Karuu30 said:

I pulled a random Leanne, she is the first one I have but is -spd +def. Should I build her or keep her for fodder? 

I would keep her. She can help buff up Tibarn and Naesala.

She can also tank most dragons with her high Spd and Res if you want her to fight.

If you get additional Leannes and if you want to fodder her, I would prioritize Flier Formation or Hone Beasts. Flier Formation is invaluable for flier ball Aether Raids defense teams. Hone Beast is great for beast Dancers on Player Phase beast teams.

12 hours ago, Karuu30 said:

She’s good as a one-of for AA and AR for supporting Tibarn. Her Res is also pretty good after Eir buffs.

Additional copies should be used for Flier Formation. Unless you don’t mind using grails on Loki copies.

So I have a few units I'm not sure how to build up.  I have a list here of my units (which funnily enough hasn't been able to fit in my sig for some reason, despite the link taking place of another one) that I'd like some suggestions for to help improve them or figure out their niche based on my play style.  I felt posting each individual hero would be a bit much here, so they're all in one place in the link.  I'll be sure to mark the ones who I feel are complete when I get the list done.

Thank you for both help and suggestions.

Looking for some guidance on "Aether Raids for (Lazy) Dummies." Essentially, I'm after a step-by-step guide for a minimal investment and minimal effort setup for ARs while getting a decent baseline reward - ideally by having auto-battle on everything and not having to change anything on a week-to-week basis. I do have multiple Eirs for what it's worth.

To be clear, the things I have absolutely no idea about are structure placement and unit selection. I figure a good generic pre-fabricated plan for both of those would mean I'm most of the way there. Bear in mind I literally have not even unlocked the mode yet, so "explain like I'm five" is the target audience here.

15 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Looking for some guidance on "Aether Raids for (Lazy) Dummies." Essentially, I'm after a step-by-step guide for a minimal investment and minimal effort setup for ARs while getting a decent baseline reward - ideally by having auto-battle on everything and not having to change anything on a week-to-week basis. I do have multiple Eirs for what it's worth.

To be clear, the things I have absolutely no idea about are structure placement and unit selection. I figure a good generic pre-fabricated plan for both of those would mean I'm most of the way there. Bear in mind I literally have not even unlocked the mode yet, so "explain like I'm five" is the target audience here.

Auto battle won’t get you anywhere here sadly.

Easiest way to climb is by focussing on offense first, defense later.

You use stones to build structures and get dew from that. This is the structure priority:

1 Resources (aether fountain and amphorae)

2 offense fort

3 defense fort

Useful structures to upgrade are heavy trap, tactics room for offense and later defense. The movement type schools are useful to build since they give a bonus every few weeks, same as the bolt and healing tower. However, you only need them at lvl1 for the full bonus when they are active.

@Vicious Sal Depends what "getting anywhere" means I guess. Trying to read through the wiki article and it says you can't lose lift below 4000, so getting there would a reasonable starting point perhaps. Getting around 20-30 grails from lift each week would be more than acceptable to me - no idea what that translates to in terms of rank though.

27 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

• You can completely ignore your defense map until you hit Tier 11. You don't lose points for a defense loss if you are still Tier 10 or lower.
  • Focus on your offense performance first, then work on defense after you have seen what other players are running and know what kind of maps give you trouble.
  • You can access the Aether Raids offense team setup from the Allies Menu (under Edit Special Teams > Edit Raiding Parties). From that screen, you should immediately change the option to have separate teams for Light and Astra seasons, which will prevent you from having to switch you teams every week.
  • When you initiate a match, you can preview the opponent's map and then choose one of your five teams after you see the map.
  • Auto-battle will get you killed.

Offense scoring (you can skip everything except the bolded line and come back later if you don't want to read all of this):

• 80 points base
  • +20 points for having at least 1 bonus unit (you can see next week's bonus units by tapping the arrow next to the header). This doesn't stack for multiple bonus units.
  • +10 points times the number of Light/Astra Mythic Heroes (whichever element matches the current season) times the number of Heroes with a matching blessing (Legendary Heroes matching the current Arena season always count as if they have a matching blessing. For example,
    • On Light season, 1 Eir + 1 Light blessed unit = 10 × 1 × 1 = +10 points
    • On Light season, 2 Eir + 2 Light blessed units = 10 × 2 × 2 = +40 points
    • On Light season, 2 Eir + 1 Light blessed unit + 1 Legendary Hero matching the current season = 10 × 2 × (1 + 1) = +40 points
  • +1 point for every merge on your Light/Astra Mythic Heroes (whichever element matches the current season)
  • -20 points for each unit that dies in combat
  • You get zero points if you lose the battle, and the Aether used to initiate the battle is not refunded, so winning should be your priority, even if you lose a unit
    • The Escape Ladder (O) building allows you to be refunded for a loss a certain number of times each season. The number of times increases as you level the building up, and you need to deploy the building to use it.

Building your offense team:

• There are give or take four basic archetypes for teams, and you generally want at least two or three of them:
    • Bulky baiter: One or more extremely bulky unit that can safely bait while heavily buffed by the rest of the team. You want at least one heavy hitter on the team to clean up after baiting.
      • Surtr is extremely common for this role, though many teams may be over-prepared for him. Same goes for other armors. I also see Fjorm a lot when she is a bonus unit.
    • Dancer offense: Two mobile nukes with dancer support.
      • When you have 5 offense team slots, I see a lot of Reinhardt + Brave Lyn + 2 dancers + bonus unit.
    • Galeforce offense: Galeforce nukes, preferably with teleportation and teleporting dancer support.
    • Vantage sweep: One Vantage sweeper, preferably with Savage Blow or similar skills to soften enemies up for the sweep. You need to make sure you can trigger Vantage off of either an enemy Bolt Trap or counterattack damage and that there are no enemy units with Hardy Bearing or a Festival in Hoshido weapon that disables your Vantage.
      • Jaffar, Laevatein, and Litrblade mages work well for this job.

Building structures:

• Focus on offense structures and Resource structures first.
  • Make sure you build and deploy the bonus structure for the week. It goes down the list of buildings in order every week.
  • Just like with Refining Stones, spending Aether Stones to build structures gives you an equal amount of Dew. Make sure you spend your rocks so that you get dew to upgrade your Fortress and Resource structures.

Once you have a handle on the mode, we have a thread on offense team building for suggestions and fielding questions if you want to go into more depth:

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

@Vicious Sal Depends what "getting anywhere" means I guess. Trying to read through the wiki article and it says you can't lose lift below 4000, so getting there would a reasonable starting point perhaps. Getting around 20-30 grails from lift each week would be more than acceptable to me - no idea what that translates to in terms of rank though.

You can get 40 grails a week just by auto-battling on three different days (you'll get a minimum of 20 grails as rank/tier rewards and 20 grails as the third daily bonus reward).

If you feel like trying it out, just build a team and try to get to Tier 11 (4000 lift) - as you say, you can't lose lift before then so there's no pressure. If you decide you don't like it, you can auto-battle it and you'll be guaranteed 50 grails a week even if you stay at Tier 11.

Edited by Baldrick

@Ice Dragon Appreciate it, pretty much what I was looking for. Well, other than things like specific building placement, but it seems I was misguided on looking for something like that, since at my level defensive building placement apparently has no impact and offensive ones are based on weekly bonuses.

Things I've gathered:
- Merges on non-Mythic heroes count for nothing so it's probably ideal for me to use the Mythic blessings on my +0 heroes that otherwise see no real use.
- I have no Mythic heroes other than Eir, so I should simply field a decent balanced team plus one bonus unit on non-Light weeks and settle for the 100 base points.
- On Light weeks I may as well field as many active legendary units that I can make a balanced team out of.

One thing I'm not clear on is how many battles someone would typically fight a week, given the variable cost for starting battles. I see that early on I would need to essentially always drain my Aether to get to rank 11, but after that I have no idea how many times I would need to fight a week to simply maintain rank. Would the three weekly fights (for the 20 grail reward) be woefully inadequate? Or would I be able to maybe get to 12-15 by doing that, or say 5 fights a week at most?

Edited by Humanoid

12 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

One thing I'm not clear on is how many battles someone would typically fight a week, given the variable cost for starting battles. I see that early on I would need to essentially always drain my Aether to get to rank 11, but after that I have no idea how many times I would need to fight a week to simply maintain rank. Would the three weekly fights (for the 20 grail reward) be woefully inadequate? Or would I be able to maybe get to 12-15 by doing that, or say 5 fights a week at most?

After you reach Tier 11, you will lose 80 points when your defense team loses (reduced by 20 for each unit your team kills), but you are protected from losing points for 20 hours after each match that "counts". In practical terms, this comes out to "once per day", so you'll lose an absolute maximum of 560 (80 points × 7 days) per week. To maintain rank, you should aim to earn 560 points on offense, which is 6 wins (if you're getting just the base 100 points per win).

However, if you really aren't motivated to play this mode all that much, you can maintain Tier 10 indefinitely and obtain the weekly placement rewards by playing only 1 match per week.

That said, you may as well earn all 5 daily rewards because you don't need to actually win a match to earn the reward. Playing a match and surrendering will still count for the reward.

Edited by Ice Dragon

@Ice Dragon Cool, seems reasonable enough. I certainly don't intend to put more effort into this than I do into the other Arena-like game modes, so ultimately how seriously I'll take it will depend on how much of a hassle each individual battle is. Some weeks I do AA properly, some weeks I can't be bothered and just autobattle 7x beginner fights at the end of the week - I wouldn't be surprised if ARs end up similar, maybe more effort in Light weeks.

I don't expect to ever intentionally pull for a Mythic hero (other than Eir merges for non-AR purposes), so there's a fairly low self-imposed ceiling I've set for myself, which I don't mind at all. It'll get worse as more blessing types are added, but I would never sacrifice the general performance of regular legendaries and their blessings for AR purposes.

P.S. How are match-ups determined anyway? Since it seems regular arena point scoring doesn't apply, is it simply people in your own tier? If so then I might be able to pick up a few easy-ish ranks above 11 before settling into my "natural" tier.

1 minute ago, Humanoid said:

P.S. How are match-ups determined anyway? Since it seems regular arena point scoring doesn't apply, is it simply people in your own tier? If so then I might be able to pick up a few easy-ish ranks above 11 before settling into my "natural" tier.

I'm not sure, but it appears to be tier-based with a little bit of wiggle room (you'll get opponents who are close to your tier, just not always the exact same tier as you).

7 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

So I have a few units I'm not sure how to build up.  I have a list here of my units (which funnily enough hasn't been able to fit in my sig for some reason, despite the link taking place of another one) that I'd like some suggestions for to help improve them or figure out their niche based on my play style.  I felt posting each individual hero would be a bit much here, so they're all in one place in the link.  I'll be sure to mark the ones who I feel are complete when I get the list done.

Thank you for both help and suggestions.

That is a long list. I gave a quick glance over it. I will go over some main things first.

1. Do NOT run Vantage, with a few exceptions. Vantage is completely useless on the vast majority of units. If the unit cannot kill the foe in one shot, then Vantage is pointless because the foe will just take the counterattack and kill your unit afterwards. The ONLY units that should run Vantage are units that can reach insanely high Atk or can simulate insanely high Atk and kill foes in one shot.

2. Do NOT use Atk Refinement, again with a few exceptions. Atk Refinement is a complete waste of stats because Spd, Def, and Res Refinement contributes to combat performance a lot more. Atk Refinement is fine for units with Refinable Brave Weapons, if they are running Desperation-Brash Assault, or if they are going for some kind of one shot build.

3. Do NOT give Spd boosting skills to units with low Spd. Low Spd is a GOOD thing. Enemy Phase units need low Spd because they need foes to double them so they can activate a stronger Special. In case of Surtr, he has Wary Fighter so giving him more Spd does absolutely nothing.

4. Do NOT use Noontime or Sol. Sustainability is best offloaded to a separate dedicated unit like Eir, Herons, healers, and HP batteries (Reciprocal Aid/Ardent Sacrifice-Renewal).

5. Do NOT use Defiants. Defiants simply just suck and they are a waste of SP. Use Brazens instead.

I will just go over the original characters and any other units I find notable.

Spoiler

Alfonse

Get rid of Vantage and Sol. As stated above, Alfonse's Atk is too low to utilize Vantage properly. If you want Alfonse to have more sustainability, I recommend running a healer because they can regenerate Alfonse's HP so much more efficiently and quicker.

Here is a Player Phase build I run for Arena to reliably get Bonus kills.
Fólkvangr [Atk]
Reposition
Aether
Brazen Atk/Def
Desperation
(Any C) — Atk Tactic
Brash Assault

HATF!Alfonse

Vantage and Noontime needs to go.

Player Phase:
Slaying Axe [Spd] — Giant Spoon [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
(Any A that boosts Atk/Spd, such as Life and Death and Fury)
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow — Heavy Blade

Sharena

Vantage needs to go.

This is what I use for Arena.
Fensalir [special]
Reposition
Aether
Distant Counter
Renewal
Atk Smoke
Atk/Spd Bond

This is what I use for Aether Raids.
Fensalir [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
Distant Counter
Guard
Atk Smoke
Distant Def

HATF!Sharena

Player Phase:
Gronnblade — Muninn's Egg
Reposition
Moonbow
(Any A that boosts Atk/Spd)
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow — Heavy Blade — Flashing Blade

Anna

This is what I use for Arena. If you do not see a lot of armor units, then I recommend Wo Gùn or Slaying Axe.
Slaying Hammer [Def]
Reposition
Aether
Distant Counter
Renewal
Atk Smoke
Atk/Def Bond

RR!Bruno

Player Phase:
Ovoid Staff [Wrathful Staff]
(Any Assist)
(Any Special)
Atk/Def Push
Dazzling Staff
(Any C)
Attack +3

Player Phase:
Pain [Wrathful Staff] — Pain [Wrathful Staff]
(Any Assist)
(Any Special)
Attack +3
Dazzling Staff
(Any C)
Attack +3

AOTB!Veronica

Her skill set is fine as is, although you may want to switch out Live to Serve for Attack +3. She should not be hit as she will most likely die if she gets initiated on by foes, so Live to Serve is not really necessary in my opinion.

However, I highly discourage giving any of your free units merges and Dragonflowers, especially if you need them to copy strategy videos. 1 Dragonflower might not be much, but there is a chance that it may affect how the AI moves, which makes copying strategy videos more difficult.

Fjorm

I would just leave her as is, and since this copy is your free neutral one, I recommend keeping her away from merges and Dragonflowers.

If you get a second Fjorm and want to build her up, this is what I would recommend if you have the resources.
+Spd
Leiptr
(Any Assist) — Swap
Glacies
(Any A that boosts Spd/Def or Spd/Res) — Darting Breath (not yet released)
Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Atk/Spd Bond

If you just want her to focus on mages and ranged units:
+Res
Leiptr
(Any Assist) — Swap
Ice Mirror
Warding Breath — Warding Stance — Distant Def
Shield Pulse
(Any C)
Quick Riposte

Hríd

Replace Luna with Moonbow. Otherwise, it is fine is.

NYOFAI!Hríd

Just needs some minor tweaking.

Enemy Phase:
Geishun [Def] — Safeguard [Def]
Swap
Bonfire
Atk/Def Bond
Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Atk/Def Bond

Ylgr

Player Phase:
Sylgr
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow

Surtr

Get rid of Darting Stance Sacred Seal. I recommend Moonbow over Bonfire so Surtr will have his Special charged when Player Phase comes around. I personally prefer Swap over Pivot as Swap gives finer control over rearranging formation in an armor team.
Sinmara
Swap
Moonbow
Steady Stance
Wary Fighter
Surtr's Menace
Close Def

If you want a more traditional Enemy Phase build:
Slaying Axe [Def] — Slaying Axe [Res]
Swap
Aether
Distant Counter
Vengeful Fighter
Ward Armor
Atk/Def Bond — Wardng Stance

Laegjarn

Player Phase:
Níu
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

NYOFAI!Laegjarn

Player Phase
Wagasa [Spd] — Slaying Lance [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

Laevatein

Since you already have her, I highly recommend building her for Aether Raids as she is a great Counter-Vantage unit.

Laevatein
Swap — Reposition
Moonbow
Distant Counter
Vantage
Def Smoke
Brazen Atk/Def

Helbindi

Being slow is a good thing. As an Enemy Phase unit, I recommend +HP/Def/Res over +Atk, ideally +Def/Res.

Býleistr — Wo Gùn [Def] — Wo Gùn [Res] — Slaying Axe [Def] — Slaying Axe [Res]
Swap
Bonfire — Ignis
Distant Counter — (Any A that boosts Atk/Def or Atk/Res)
Guard — Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Quick RIposte — Atk/Def Bond — Warding Stance — Close Def — Distant Def

Eir

I recommend Reposition over Swap. I would also recommend Moonbow to increase her damage output since it activates more frequently than Iceberg, but if she does not see combat often, then you can just leave it as Iceberg.

As I have said with AOTB!Veronica, I do not recommend giving merges nor Dragonflowers to your free neutral units as it may cause problems following guides.

Loki

If you want to utilize Thökk:
Thökk
(Any Assist)
(Any Special)
C Duel Infantry
Dazzling Staff
(Any C) — Panic Ploy
HP+5

Counter-Vantage:
Pain [Wrathful]
(Any Assist)
Miracle
Close Counter
Vantage
Savage Blow
Savage Blow — Brazen Atk/Def — Brazen Atk/Res

Player Phase:
Pain [Wrathful Staff] — Pain [Dazzling Staff] — Gravity [Wrathful Staff] — Gravity [Dazzling Staff] 
(Any Assist)
(Any Special)
Attack +3
Dazzling Staff — Wrathful Staff
Savage Blow
(Any C)
Savage Blow — Attack +3

RR!Loki

Player Phase:
Firesweep Bow
Reposition
Moonbow — Luna
Life and Death
Poison Strike
(Any C)
Poison Strike — Atk/Spd

Wrys

I do not see the point in giving him Attack +3 and Wrathful Staff Refinement. Other more offensive healers would appreciate Attack +3 a lot more.

Faye

I would get rid of Speed +3. Faye wants to be slow.

Enemy Phase:
Bow of Devotion [special]
Swap
Moonbow — Iceberg
Distant Def
Guard
(Any C)
Distant Def

Celica

No to Vantage.

Player Phase:
Ragnarok [special]
Reposition
Moonbow
(Any A that boost Atk/Spd)
Desperation
(Any C)

Genny

I recommend giving her Savage Blow.

Delthea

Player Phase:
Blárblade — Dark Aura
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

Ishtar

Player Phase:
Mjolnir
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

Chrom

Enemy Phase:
Falchion [special]
Swap
Bonfire
(Any A that boosts Atk/Def)
Guard — Quick RIposte
(Any C)
Quick RIposte — Atk/Def Bond — Close Def

M!Robin

Tactical Bolt
Swap
Glimmer
Triangle Adept
Bowbreaker — Guard — Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Distant Def — Quick Riposte

FH!M!Robin

Unless you are using him for Arena or something, I would get rid of Aether. It takes too long to charge for crap damage and crap healing.

F!Robin

Tactical Gale
Swap
Glimmer
Triangle Adept
(Any C)

FV!F!Robin

Vantage does nothing for her, and her skill set is a mishmash of Player Phase and Enemy Phase skills that does not synergize with each other.

Enemy Phase:
Expiration
Swap
Moonbow
Dragonskin
Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Atk/Spd Bond — Spd/Res Bond — Darting Stance

Player Phase:
Expiration — Dark Breath [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow — Flashing Blade

YS!Gaius

Player Phase:
Brave Bow
Reposition
Luna
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow

Player Phase:
Firesweep Bow
Reposition
Moonbow — Luna — Blazing Wind — Growing Wind
Life and Death
Poison Strike
(Any C)
Poison Strike — Atk/Spd — Darting Blow — Flashing Blade

Lon'qu

Galeforce:
Solitary Blade
Reposition
Galeforce
Desperation
(Any C)
Flashing Blade

Tharja

Player Phase:
Tharja's Hex [special]
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

SF!Lucina

I would run Moonbow over Luna and give her Desperation.

GA!Lucina

She comes with Swift Sparrow, so I am not sure why you are running Attack +3 on her. I would also get rid of Aether.
Thögn
Future Vision
Moonbow
Swift Sparrow
Desperation — Wings of Mercy
(Any C)

M!Morgan

Death Blow 4 is a waste on Morgan in my opinion since he does not have access to Brave Weapons and his Atk is not high enough to reliably one shot things. I would stick with a regular Player Phase build so he can double more reliably:
Rauðrblade
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

F!Morgan

I think it is a waste to give her Iote's Shield as her physical bulk and Spd are too low to tank archers.

VS!Azura

I would run something other than Iote's Shield. It does nothing for her since her physical bulk is not that high to begin with.

Mikoto

If you are using her as a nuke, I would not run Brazens nor Bonds. Healers should not eat counters nor get initiated on, so Brazens are not a good idea in my opinion. As a nuke, Bonds are horrible for Player Phase units since they need to break formation often to attack foes, rendering Bonds useless.

WOF!Hinoka

Player Phase:
Firesweep Bow
Reposition
Moonbow — Luna
Life and Death
Poison Strike
(Any C)
Poison Strike — Atk/Spd

Azama

Again, like Wrys, I think Attack +3 is better utilized by other healers.

ASS!Takumi

Player Phase:
Firesweep Bow
Reposition
Moonbow — Luna
Life and Death
Poison Strike
(Any C)
Poison Strike — Atk/Spd

Xander

He needs a complete rehaul of his kit.

Enemy Phase:
Siegfried
Swap
Moonbow — Bonfire
Warding Stance
Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Warding Stance — Close Def — Atk/Def Bond

FIH!Xander

Enemy Phase:
Barb Shuriken [Def]
Dance
Ignis
Close Counter
Quick Riposte
Odd Def Wave
Even Def Wave

2 hours ago, XRay said:

That is a long list. I gave a quick glance over it. I will go over some main things first.

1. Do NOT run Vantage, with a few exceptions. Vantage is completely useless on the vast majority of units. If the unit cannot kill the foe in one shot, then Vantage is pointless because the foe will just take the counterattack and kill your unit afterwards. The ONLY units that should run Vantage are units that can reach insanely high Atk or can simulate insanely high Atk and kill foes in one shot.

2. Do NOT use Atk Refinement, again with a few exceptions. Atk Refinement is a complete waste of stats because Spd, Def, and Res Refinement contributes to combat performance a lot more. Atk Refinement is fine for units with Refinable Brave Weapons, if they are running Desperation-Brash Assault, or if they are going for some kind of one shot build.

3. Do NOT give Spd boosting skills to units with low Spd. Low Spd is a GOOD thing. Enemy Phase units need low Spd because they need foes to double them so they can activate a stronger Special. In case of Surtr, he has Wary Fighter so giving him more Spd does absolutely nothing.

4. Do NOT use Noontime or Sol. Sustainability is best offloaded to a separate dedicated unit like Eir, Herons, healers, and HP batteries (Reciprocal Aid/Ardent Sacrifice-Renewal).

5. Do NOT use Defiants. Defiants simply just suck and they are a waste of SP. Use Brazens instead.

I will just go over the original characters and any other units I find notable.

Reveal hidden contents

Alfonse

Get rid of Vantage and Sol. As stated above, Alfonse's Atk is too low to utilize Vantage properly. If you want Alfonse to have more sustainability, I recommend running a healer because they can regenerate Alfonse's HP so much more efficiently and quicker.

Here is a Player Phase build I run for Arena to reliably get Bonus kills.
Fólkvangr [Atk]
Reposition
Aether
Brazen Atk/Def
Desperation
(Any C) — Atk Tactic
Brash Assault

HATF!Alfonse

Vantage and Noontime needs to go.

Player Phase:
Slaying Axe [Spd] — Giant Spoon [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
(Any A that boosts Atk/Spd, such as Life and Death and Fury)
Desperation
(Any C)

Sharena

Vantage needs to go.

This is what I use for Arena.
Fensalir [special]
Reposition
Aether
Distant Counter
Renewal
Atk Smoke
Atk/Spd Bond

This is what I use for Aether Raids.
Fensalir [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
Distant Counter
Guard
Atk Smoke
Distant Def

HATF!Sharena

Player Phase:
Gronnblade — Muninn's Egg
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

Anna

This is what I use for Arena. If you do not see a lot of armor units, then I recommend Wo Gùn or Slaying Axe.
Slaying Hammer [Def]
Reposition
Aether
Distant Counter
Renewal
Atk Smoke
Atk/Def Bond

RR!Bruno

Player Phase:
Ovoid Staff [Wrathful Staff]
(Any Assist)
(Any Special)
Atk/Def Push
Dazzling Staff
(Any C)
Attack +3

Player Phase:
Pain [Wrathful Staff] — Pain [Wrathful Staff]
(Any Assist)
(Any Special)
Attack +3
Dazzling Staff
(Any C)
Attack +3

AOTB!Veronica

Her skill set is fine as is, although you may want to switch out Live to Serve for Attack +3. She should not be hit as she will most likely die if she gets initiated on by foes, so Live to Serve is not really necessary in my opinion.

However, I highly discourage giving any of your free units merges and Dragonflowers, especially if you need them to copy strategy videos. 1 Dragonflower might not be much, but there is a chance that it may affect how the AI moves, which makes copying strategy videos more difficult.

Fjorm

I would just leave her as is, and since this copy is your free neutral one, I recommend keeping her away from merges and Dragonflowers.

If you get a second Fjorm and want to build her up, this is what I would recommend if you have the resources.
+Spd
Leiptr
(Any Assist) — Swap
Glacies
(Any A that boosts Spd/Def or Spd/Res) — Darting Breath (not yet released)
Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Atk/Spd Bond

If you just want her to focus on mages and ranged units:
+Res
Leiptr
(Any Assist) — Swap
Ice Mirror
Warding Breath — Warding Stance — Distant Def
Shield Pulse
(Any C)
Quick Riposte

Hríd

Replace Luna with Moonbow. Otherwise, it is fine is.

NYOFAI!Hríd

Just needs some minor tweaking.

Enemy Phase:
Geishun [Def] — Safeguard [Def]
Swap
Bonfire
Atk/Def Bond
Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Atk/Def Bond

Ylgr

Player Phase:
Sylgr
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow

Surtr

Get rid of Darting Stance Sacred Seal. I recommend Moonbow over Bonfire so Surtr will have his Special charged when Player Phase comes around. I personally prefer Swap over Pivot as Swap gives finer control over rearranging formation in an armor team.
Sinmara
Swap
Moonbow
Steady Stance
Wary Fighter
Surtr's Menace
Close Def

If you want a more traditional Enemy Phase build:
Slaying Axe [Def] — Slaying Axe [Res]
Swap
Aether
Distant Counter
Vengeful Fighter
Ward Armor
Atk/Def Bond — Wardng Stance

Laegjarn

Player Phase:
Níu
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

NYOFAI!Laegjarn

Player Phase
Wagasa [Spd] — Slaying Lance [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

Laevatein

Since you already have her, I highly recommend building her for Aether Raids as she is a great Counter-Vantage unit.

Laevatein
Swap — Reposition
Moonbow
Distant Counter
Vantage
Def Smoke
Brazen Atk/Def

Helbindi

Being slow is a good thing. As an Enemy Phase unit, I recommend +HP/Def/Res over +Atk, ideally +Def/Res.

Býleistr — Wo Gùn [Def] — Wo Gùn [Res] — Slaying Axe [Def] — Slaying Axe [Res]
Swap
Bonfire — Ignis
Distant Counter — (Any A that boosts Atk/Def or Atk/Res)
Guard — Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Quick RIposte — Atk/Def Bond — Warding Stance — Close Def — Distant Def

Eir

I recommend Reposition over Swap. I would also recommend Moonbow to increase her damage output since it activates more frequently than Iceberg, but if she does not see combat often, then you can just leave it as Iceberg.

As I have said with AOTB!Veronica, I do not recommend giving merges nor Dragonflowers to your free neutral units as it may cause problems following guides.

Loki

If you want to utilize Thökk:
Thökk
(Any Assist)
(Any Special)
C Duel Infantry
Dazzling Staff
(Any C) — Panic Ploy
HP+5

Counter-Vantage:
Pain [Wrathful]
(Any Assist)
Miracle
Close Counter
Vantage
Savage Blow
Savage Blow — Brazen Atk/Def — Brazen Atk/Res

Player Phase:
Pain [Wrathful Staff] — Pain [Dazzling Staff] — Gravity [Wrathful Staff] — Gravity [Dazzling Staff] 
(Any Assist)
(Any Special)
Attack +3
Dazzling Staff — Wrathful Staff
Savage Blow
(Any C)
Savage Blow — Attack +3

RR!Loki

Player Phase:
Firesweep Bow
Reposition
Moonbow — Luna
Life and Death
Poison Strike
(Any C)
Poison Strike — Atk/Spd

Wrys

I do not see the point in giving him Attack +3 and Wrathful Staff Refinement. Other more offensive healers would appreciate Attack +3 a lot more.

Faye

I would get rid of Speed +3. Faye wants to be slow.

Enemy Phase:
Swap
Moonbow — Iceberg
Distant Def
Guard
(Any C)
Distant Def

Celica

No to Vantage.

Player Phase:
Ragnarok [special]
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

Genny

I recommend giving her Savage Blow.

Delthea

Player Phase:
Blárblade — Dark Aura
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

Ishtar

Player Phase:
Mjolnir
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

Chrom

Enemy Phase:
Falchion [special]
Swap
Bonfire
(Any A that boosts Atk/Def)
Guard — Quick RIposte
(Any C)
Quick RIposte — Atk/Def Bond — Close Def

M!Robin

Tactical Bolt
Swap
Glimmer
Triangle Adept
(Any C)

FH!M!Robin

Unless you are using him for Arena or something, I would get rid of Aether. It takes too long to charge for crap damage and crap healing.

F!Robin

Tactical Gale
Swap
Glimmer
Triangle Adept
(Any C)

FV!F!Robin

Vantage does nothing for her, and her skill set is a mishmash of Player Phase and Enemy Phase skills that does not synergize with each other.

Enemy Phase:
Expiration
Swap
Moonbow
Dragonskin
Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Atk/Spd Bond — Spd/Res Bond — Darting Stance

Player Phase:
Expiration — Dark Breath [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow — Flashing Blade

YS!Gaius

Player Phase:
Brave Bow
Reposition
Luna
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow

Player Phase:
Firesweep Bow
Reposition
Moonbow — Luna — Blazing Wind — Growing Wind
Life and Death
Poison Strike
(Any C)
Poison Strike — Atk/Spd — Darting Blow — Flashing Blade

Lon'qu

Galeforce:
Solitary Blade
Reposition
Galeforce
Desperation
(Any C)
Flashing Blade

Tharja

Player Phase:
Tharja's Hex [special]
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

SF!Lucina

I would run Moonbow over Luna and give her Desperation.

GA!Lucina

She comes with Swift Sparrow, so I am not sure why you are running Attack +3 on her. I would also get rid of Aether.
Thögn
Future Vision
Moonbow
Swift Sparrow
Desperation — Wings of Mercy
(Any C)

M!Morgan

Death Blow 4 is a waste on Morgan in my opinion since he does not have access to Brave Weapons and his Atk is not high enough to reliably one shot things. I would stick with a regular Player Phase build so he can double more reliably:
Rauðrblade
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

F!Morgan

I think it is a waste to give her Iote's Shield as her physical bulk and Spd are too low to tank archers.

VS!Azura

I would run something other than Iote's Shield. It does nothing for her since her physical bulk is not that high to begin with.

Mikoto

If you are using her as a nuke, I would not run Brazens nor Bonds. Healers should not eat counters nor get initiated on, so Brazens are not a good idea in my opinion. As a nuke, Bonds are horrible for Player Phase units since they need to break formation often to attack foes, rendering Bonds useless.

WOF!Hinoka

Player Phase:
Firesweep Bow
Reposition
Moonbow — Luna
Life and Death
Poison Strike
(Any C)
Poison Strike — Atk/Spd

Azama

Again, like Wrys, I think Attack +3 is better utilized by other healers.

ASS!Takumi

Player Phase:
Firesweep Bow
Reposition
Moonbow — Luna
Life and Death
Poison Strike
(Any C)
Poison Strike — Atk/Spd

Xander

He needs a complete rehaul of his kit.

Enemy Phase:
Siegfried
Swap
Moonbow — Bonfire
Warding Stance
Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Warding Stance — Close Def — Atk/Def Bond

FIH!Xander

Enemy Phase:
Barb Shuriken [Def]
Dance
Ignis
Close Counter
Quick Riposte
Odd Def Wave
Even Def Wave

1. Oh boy, yes I know that one because I've seen that happen to a few misplaced heroes.  Though I haven't gotten much in the way of desperation fodder because summoning luck is brutal as we all know

2. Mostly I try to keep to the if they need atk give them it.  My play style seems to revolve around OKO the enemy before said enemy can counter on Player Phase, so I try to gear my units to that.

3. This stems from the whole problem of units who happen to be weaker than the ones they're supposed to be dealing with.  I'd rather they not get doubled and risk losing units- something that happens way too often for my liking.

4. I prefer units to have the ability to sustain themselves since healers are way too frail to keep up with their job at times (nearly all of them on the more annoying PvE content I've found)

5. That...would be a bit of default builds showing up.  I think a couple heroes have their default skills because I haven't been able to get new skills (5☆ locked) or may not actually be doing more than the bare minimum to have them level 40 +0 5☆.

Partly the builds are what's worked for me in heroes thus far.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

1 hour ago, TheSilentChloey said:

2. Mostly I try to keep to the if they need atk give them it.  My play style seems to revolve around OKO the enemy before said enemy can counter on Player Phase, so I try to gear my units to that.

The vast majority of units do not have the stats to OHKO, and it is far easier to just increase their Spd and run Desperation so they can double and deal twice the damage, or give them Brave Weapons if they are slow.

3. This stems from the whole problem of units who happen to be weaker than the ones they're supposed to be dealing with.  I'd rather they not get doubled and risk losing units- something that happens way too often for my liking.

Surtr comes with Wary Fighter and that already prevents doubles, and even if you remove Wary Fighter, his Spd with Darting Stance is still in the 20s, which is nowhere near close enough to prevent anything from doubling him, as slow armor units often run Bold Fighter and nukes in general will pretty much always double him as most have 45+ Spd. Surtr should double down on his Def with Close Def or Atk/Def Bond which prevents 12 and 10 damage respectively if he gets doubled. If your Def/Res tanks are dying to units they are supposed to deal with, that means you are not stacking their Def/Res high enough. If you need a tank that can prevent doubles, then you need to run a Spd tank, not Def/Res tanks and trying to patch their Spd.

Take Faye for example, she is a Def/Res tank that needs Def/Res stacking, not Spd stacking to avoid doubles. Speed +3 or even Darting Stance will not prevent nukes from doubling her and killing her as her Spd is in the 30s and her Def/Res is too low to meaningfully mitigate damage. The following Faye compared to your Faye mitigates over 10 damage more per hit and well over 30 damage per round of combat by nullifying Specials or over 40 damage per round if you also factor in enemy buffs, practically doubling the amount of her HP.

Faye
(Any Assist)
Moonbow — Iceberg
Distant Def 4
Guard
(Any C)
Distant Def

Assuming the same nature, this Faye gets Def+14 and Res+12 in raw stats alone compared to your Faye, reaching 44 Def and 46 Res. Even if you cannot afford Distant Def 4, Distant Def 3 or Warding Stance 3 on the A slot is still better than Speed +3 or Darting Stance on the A slot.

4. I prefer units to have the ability to sustain themselves since healers are way too frail to keep up with their job at times (nearly all of them on the more annoying PvE content I've found)

You have ASS!Takumi and WOF!Hinoka who are flying archers and can run Brave Bow or Firesweep Bow, as well as flying mages to form a flier team to trivialize any Infernal map. Even if you are adamant about using Enemy Phase units, Distant Counter-Ward Armor teams can take a fair amount of punishment and you can bring a Physic healer to further create distance between the healer and the front line for safety.

For Abyssal maps, Noontime and Sol do not heal enough to be sustainable, and since your units are not running a damage Special, foes will often be left alive to continue to deal tons of damage by having their Specials charged or just simply flanking your formation and hitting more vulnerable units.

5 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Most slow units use something other than their Spd stat to double you (Bold Fighter, Quick Riposte, etc.). Increasing your Spd stat does jack squat if your own unit also has low Spd because fast units will still double you with their Spd advantage and slow units will still double you with their alternative mechanic.

5 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Self-sufficient sustain should typically come from skills like Firesweep weapons or Desperation, not Noontime or Sol.

Noontime does have its place on very specific units like Michalis, who is bulky enough to not need huge amounts of healing and has a weapon that contributes damage on Special activation. Otherwise, the only healing Special that is actually relevant is Aether (also Radiant Aether) and even then only on units that have fast Special charge rate or extremely high natural bulk due to its high cooldown.

7 hours ago, XRay said:

The vast majority of units do not have the stats to OHKO, and it is far easier to just increase their Spd and run Desperation so they can double and deal twice the damage, or give them Brave Weapons if they are slow.

Surtr comes with Wary Fighter and that already prevents doubles, and even if you remove Wary Fighter, his Spd with Darting Stance is still in the 20s, which is nowhere near close enough to prevent anything from doubling him, as slow armor units often run Bold Fighter and nukes in general will pretty much always double him as most have 45+ Spd. Surtr should double down on his Def with Close Def or Atk/Def Bond which prevents 12 and 10 damage respectively if he gets doubled. If your Def/Res tanks are dying to units they are supposed to deal with, that means you are not stacking their Def/Res high enough. If you need a tank that can prevent doubles, then you need to run a Spd tank, not Def/Res tanks and trying to patch their Spd.

Take Faye for example, she is a Def/Res tank that needs Def/Res stacking, not Spd stacking to avoid doubles. Speed +3 or even Darting Stance will not prevent nukes from doubling her and killing her as her Spd is in the 30s and her Def/Res is too low to meaningfully mitigate damage. The following Faye compared to your Faye mitigates over 10 damage more per hit and well over 30 damage per round of combat by nullifying Specials or over 40 damage per round if you also factor in enemy buffs, practically doubling the amount of her HP.

Faye
(Any Assist)
Moonbow — Iceberg
Distant Def 4
Guard
(Any C)
Distant Def

Assuming the same nature, this Faye gets Def+14 and Res+12 in raw stats alone compared to your Faye, reaching 44 Def and 46 Res. Even if you cannot afford Distant Def 4, Distant Def 3 or Warding Stance 3 on the A slot is still better than Speed +3 or Darting Stance on the A slot.

You have ASS!Takumi and WOF!Hinoka who are flying archers and can run Brave Bow or Firesweep Bow, as well as flying mages to form a flier team to trivialize any Infernal map. Even if you are adamant about using Enemy Phase units, Distant Counter-Ward Armor teams can take a fair amount of punishment and you can bring a Physic healer to further create distance between the healer and the front line for safety.

For Abyssal maps, Noontime and Sol do not heal enough to be sustainable, and since your units are not running a damage Special, foes will often be left alive to continue to deal tons of damage by having their Specials charged or just simply flanking your formation and hitting more vulnerable units.

Care to explain the abbreviations please because I have NO IDEA which Takumi/Hinoka you're referring to.  I get confused way too easily unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Most slow units use something other than their Spd stat to double you (Bold Fighter, Quick Riposte, etc.). Increasing your Spd stat does jack squat if your own unit also has low Spd because fast units will still double you with their Spd advantage and slow units will still double you with their alternative mechanic.

Self-sufficient sustain should typically come from skills like Firesweep weapons or Desperation, not Noontime or Sol.

Noontime does have its place on very specific units like Michalis, who is bulky enough to not need huge amounts of healing and has a weapon that contributes damage on Special activation. Otherwise, the only healing Special that is actually relevant is Aether (also Radiant Aether) and even then only on units that have fast Special charge rate or extremely high natural bulk due to its high cooldown.

I see.  That means I'll have to wait until Chrom's done then, since there isn't any chance I'd be getting Lucinas for that.  And I'd need to build up the Ikes I have...wish me luck!

3 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Care to explain the abbreviations please because I have NO IDEA which Takumi/Hinoka you're referring to.  I get confused way too easily unfortunately.

Takumi: Prince at Play, from A Sketchy Summer Focus, colorless bow flier.

Hinoka: Blue Sky Warrior, from Wings oFate Focus, colorless bow flier.

41 minutes ago, XRay said:

Takumi: Prince at Play, from A Sketchy Summer Focus, colorless bow flier.

Hinoka: Blue Sky Warrior, from Wings oFate Focus, colorless bow flier.

Thanks.  That makes sense, though doubtless the abbreviations will still go over my head :/ because I don't tend to remeber their focus banners.  So Kinoka and Summerkumi will make more sense at least to me.