"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

Hi there!

I was playing heroes back when it came out but stopped after some time. Now I would like to give it another try. Am I too late? Is the game too advanced to start?

Which units are best to reroll for (with the current banners in mind)? Which free units are best to pick? 

Thankful for any advice

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'd run +Atk for general use regardless of build (Distant Counter included) and either +Atk or +Res for Aether Raids.

Slaying Axe+ [Def / Res] is his best option for general use. Hack-o'-Lantern+ [Res] is optimal for Aether Raids.

How good Byleistr is really just depends on whether or not you have teammates that are already providing buffs. The more visible buffs your teammates run, the less valuable Byleistr is.

...oh. Well then, guess the original Helbindi stays the base.

Since Arena Assault is generally where bindi will be most used (an environment where I can control how many buffers are on the field), Byleistr should in that case be fine for the forseeable future. I'll consider Hack-o'-Lantern if I ever build an element team with Helbindi in it.

It bugs me whenever I see this mentioned because while +Def boosts Bonfire and Ignis more than +HP, +Spd, or +Res, it doesn't boost Bonfire and Ignis more than +Atk.

It doesn't, I generally pick +Def/+Res if I intend for the unit to be a tank rather than slightly stronger Special Triggers. It is a point to add in, at least, since Iceberg triggers on Helbindi will never be as strong as Bonfire triggers, and HP only matters for special triggers if Vengeance/Reprisal are involved.

...the only way I see it mattering is on a Slaying Weapon + Stance Breath + Bonfire/Iceberg build (such as what my own Lukas runs), where stacking the defensive stat as high as possible also means stronger special triggers, which as long as Guard/Special Fighter aren't on the enemy you get a special every counterattack. Of course Atk will still matter, but trading Def/Res for Atk on such a build would lessen the raw defensive ability of the unit.

@Nimrod First off, do you intend to reset your entire FEH account to be able to reroll for your first 5* unit? It seems doubtful you have any valuable units if you quit soon after the game launched.

Is it too late to start? No. Sure you don't have as many of the resources we who have been playing since launch have had, but you can still catch up over time. The game has also not become... well, not so complex that it's impossible for a newbie to understand what's going on. There's certainly a lot of elements of combat to try and understand though...

As for valuable units in current banners, as of today...

Spoiler

>Bride Tharja from Bridal Bloom is a direct stat upgrade from normal Tharja, but normal Tharja has a strong personal weapon that may make her more worth investing in. Also in Bridal Bloom is Bride Ninian, a flying Dancer. I personally recommend trying for her, as while she isn't Legendary Azura, she is still a flying dancer and worth grabbing.

>From Bridal Blessings, Bride Cordelia remains one of the stronger Infantry Bows in the game. There are better bow users overall, but as of now you probably won't get any of them that easily without a lot of luck, so if you want a strong Bow user, consider Bride Cordelia.

>The New Heroes: From a Future Past banner features Kjelle (who is basically a better Effie), Yarne (a potent Green Beast Cav), and Nah (a really tanky Red Manakete). Brady is nothing special as far as healers go, but that's in comparison to a number of other healing units in the game, so for you he may be a good start to look at.

>Weekly Revival banners will be cycling every week. Right now we have Celica, one of the strongest Red Mages in the game at her maximum investment, Delthea, who is pretty good for a Blue Mage, and Genny, valuable fodder for the Wrathful Staff skill. You should check the Weekly Revival banners schedule to see if any units coming in the next few weeks catches your eye.

>The Focus: New Power banner has a few units available at lower rarities on it, but also has Elincia, a fast Sword Flier with a Prf Brave Sword that has a low speed penalty compared to normal Brave weapons. She's worth considering IMO.

>On the Summer Returns banner, pretty much everyone is worth considering. Laegjarn probably has the most raw power potential for getting you through most any content though.

>On the Tempest Trials banner, all 3 units are good at their respective roles: Ylgr is fast and raw power, Laegjarn is fast and bulky and also punishes heavy use of Field Buffs (from skills such as Rallys, Hones, Fortifys, etc), and Helbindi is a raw tank.

>Worth considering as well is that in the next week, two more banners will come up, featuring the Summer 2017 and Summer 2018 units.

So out of all of the above... I personally recommend aiming for Bride Ninian above all else. She has a powerful role in the army as a Dancer, and flying dancers are not common yet. While Legendary Azura remains the top of Flying Dancers, Bride Ninian is still a great dancer to have. If you want her, however, you will need to hurry, as her banner ends at midnight PST, aka 12 hours from now.

As for free units, I honestly don't know what the currently available free units are.

Edited by Xenomata

28 minutes ago, Nimrod said:

I was playing heroes back when it came out but stopped after some time. Now I would like to give it another try. Am I too late? Is the game too advanced to start?

You will be fine. It will be a bit more difficult to Refine Weapons and upgrade Sacred Seals since you did not have as much time to build up a stockpile, but it should not be a huge hindrance.

28 minutes ago, Nimrod said:

Which units are best to reroll for (with the current banners in mind)? Which free units are best to pick? 

The best free units to pick fot copying strategy videos aee are "Lyn: Brave Lady" from Brave Heroes and "Veronica: Brave Princess" from Arrival of the Brave.

For the best rerolls, I recommend waiting for Legendary/Mythic Hero Foci and they generally all feature desirable units, so getting any of them will help. If you have a preferred play style, then I recommend trying to reroll for units that suit your play style. I love Player Phase ranged units, so if I were to reroll, I would aim for WOF!Hinoka, SF!Nino, etc.

Edited by XRay

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

You will be fine. It will be a bit more difficult to Refine Weapons and upgrade Sacred Seals since you did not have as much time to build up a stockpile, but it should not be a huge hindrance.

The best free units to pick fot copying strategy videos aee are "Lyn: Brave Lady" from Brave Heroes and "Veronica: Brave Princess" from Arrival of the Brave.

For the best rerolls, I recommend waiting for Legendary/Mythic Hero Foci and they generally all feature desirable units, so getting any of them will help. If you have a preferred play style, then I recommend trying to reroll for units that suit your play style. I love Player Phase ranged units, so if I were to reroll, I would aim for WOF!Hinoka.

Thanks!

@MrSmokestack and @XRay, took some time to digest your posts.

Attack stacking works, but as XRay noted and as I was concerned about, Kagero and Sothe for that matter, don't really hit ridiculously high attack like Ares, regular Hector with Berserk Armads or LA Hector who are guaranteed damage with Wrath's effect dealing damage, Laevatein, or a -blade mage. Probably Ayra and possibly Karel too, but I digress. Something else was that it might be better to attack stack with The Cleaner, Ouch Pouch, or an effective damage dagger which would limit them specializing against those units, but regardless. Those three options have their own issues like The Cleaner relying on enemy buffs, Ouch Pouch only really being Glimmer/Moonbow on turn 1 without Infantry Pulse, Ostia Pulse, Velouria or whatever else to charge specials with +3 cooldown and Special Spiral if I wanted to spam Glimmer/Moonbow, and the effective damage thing already noted.

That being said, they both have high attack all things considered. The day will come with ~35 base neutral attack is considered low. I've repeated this to myself already, but higher attack lets Kagero pass her Dart's attack check giving her more attack and more speed. Higher speed lets her double more units and would let her perform better in general at the cost of not passing as many attack checks and not only losing extra attack, but even speed. It's a tough cookie. A Kagero Dilemma if you will.

Before I asked the question, I had already promoted my +Spd, -HP Kagero. She was the first Kagero I summoned I believe and I do have a +Atk, -HP one. I think I'll see how it goes before deciding if I need more attack or more speed from her. Actually building her is another story which you can ask Bartre with his +Atk, -Res, +Spd, -Res, and +Def, -Res copies sitting around. +Atk scales well with effective damage, but +Spd Bartre is hilarious with double Fury or Fury and L&D. The +Def one sits there as I keep thinking to myself that I might want to build a defense tank Bartre even though I generally want to use the unique refinement.

On 6/16/2019 at 6:48 PM, Xenomata said:

200 Divine Dews, but... I don't know what to do with them.

I know holding onto them is an option, but... that's the thing, I think I am gonna hold onto them. But it's because I have literally no one I want to use them on right now.

I'm kinda just hoping someone has a sound opinion on what I could strive to do, especially since I could consider +10ing whoever gets the Divine Refine.

Late response and the others have covered them, but before that, what exactly are you looking for because that would narrow things down. Using dew or any resource for the sake of them isn't that better than never using it. It's getting used, but not meaningfully if that's the right word for it.

Saber [Atk] Conditional DC with stat bonus is a sound concept, but I don't know how well it does on execution since... honestly I've not heard much of Saber since. Right now he has a somewhat stock build.

Saber's not exactly a common unit. He was rare before and rarer now, so that's probably why you haven't heard much of him or Luke for that matter. XRay mentioned the Luna/3 cooldown special, Special Spiral, Quick Riposte/Darting Stance build and while that would be great on him, it does cost you a Special Spiral that could be used on someone else which in the case of a sword infantry, vanguard Ike might be a better option.

Saber's default skills, mainly Shield Pulse, mesh well with Golden Dagger. You could even say that Golden Dagger's unique refinement was tailored with Shield Pulse in mind as something to start him off with Distant Counter and Atk/Spd/Def/Res+3 on his first turn. Aegis helps out with the Distant Counter part where before, he was mainly tanking a hit with Aegis and Shield Pulse, but now with unique refined Golden Dagger, he can tank and retaliate allowing him charge partially or completely Aegis again for the next round of combat which also preserves his conditional DC and stat boosts. If he's fighting melee units more, you could give him Pavise instead.

Since he can reduce a lot of damage against melee or ranged damage by running Pavise or Aegis, Saber is a good user of Fierce Breath which would allow him to reliably charge his special with one hit instead of needing to hit back twice. Seliph similarly is a good user of Fierce Breath since his bulk is insane at times with refined Tyrfing that more defense or resistance might not be as worth it as having more attack. Steady Breath and Warding Breath works as well if you want more of those defensive stats. This still runs into the problem that the Special Spiral build does where you need to sacrifice a rare unit to get the skill and in this case, there's only one unit for each of the Breath skills where two of them are seasonal and one doesn't appear in new heroes banners.

Lloyd: What do?

Try to have him always be near an infantry mage ally. A bit rough, but if you can get it to work, then he'd be a good user of Sorcery Blade, but that requires him to be right next to the infantry mage ally. Same dealio with Sorcery Blade Anna, but at least Anna can teleport to an ally's side with unique refined Noatun.

4 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Late response and the others have covered them, but before that, what exactly are you looking for because that would narrow things down. Using dew or any resource for the sake of them isn't that better than never using it. It's getting used, but not meaningfully if that's the right word for it.

Er... nothing at all. Like I said, I was mostly hoping someone had ideas for what I could strive to do. I already have a number of units that do all the jobs I need done, and I'll probably still be holding onto my dews for the foreseeable future, or at least until inspiration strikes.

9 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Saber's not exactly a common unit. He was rare before and rarer now, so that's probably why you haven't heard much of him or Luke for that matter. XRay mentioned the Luna/3 cooldown special, Special Spiral, Quick Riposte/Darting Stance build and while that would be great on him, it does cost you a Special Spiral that could be used on someone else which in the case of a sword infantry, vanguard Ike might be a better option.

Saber's default skills, mainly Shield Pulse, mesh well with Golden Dagger. You could even say that Golden Dagger's unique refinement was tailored with Shield Pulse in mind as something to start him off with Distant Counter and Atk/Spd/Def/Res+3 on his first turn. Aegis helps out with the Distant Counter part where before, he was mainly tanking a hit with Aegis and Shield Pulse, but now with unique refined Golden Dagger, he can tank and retaliate allowing him charge partially or completely Aegis again for the next round of combat which also preserves his conditional DC and stat boosts. If he's fighting melee units more, you could give him Pavise instead.

Since he can reduce a lot of damage against melee or ranged damage by running Pavise or Aegis, Saber is a good user of Fierce Breath which would allow him to reliably charge his special with one hit instead of needing to hit back twice. Seliph similarly is a good user of Fierce Breath since his bulk is insane at times with refined Tyrfing that more defense or resistance might not be as worth it as having more attack. Steady Breath and Warding Breath works as well if you want more of those defensive stats. This still runs into the problem that the Special Spiral build does where you need to sacrifice a rare unit to get the skill and in this case, there's only one unit for each of the Breath skills where two of them are seasonal and one doesn't appear in new heroes banners.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. As if Special Spiral is a problem for me! Sorry sorry, but I not only +10ed Lewyn, but I still have spares of him!

Eheh... anyway, thanks for the input there. Saber always struck me as having potential, but nobody seemed to want to talk about him.

4 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA. As if Special Spiral is a problem for me! Sorry sorry, but I not only +10ed Lewyn, but I still have spares of him!

Eheh... anyway, thanks for the input there. Saber always struck me as having potential, but nobody seemed to want to talk about him.

To quote a lovable if rough dork: "You laughing at me? I will end you!"

I meant more that Special Spiral going to Saber might not be as good as it going to the Black Knight, vanguard Ike, Ishtar, Lilina, Mareeta, Navarre?, Ophelia, Sonya, Tailtiu, Zelgius, and whoever else I'm missing that can do nutty or nuttier stuff like charged Black Lunas, charged Radiant Aethers, and your usual AoE special spam.

I wished Saber among others were demoted. Saber's a good unit and Shield Pulse being more plentiful would make it easier for me to slap it onto Karla, Linus, and Raven for Pavise, L&D3, Shield Pulse shenanigans. I'd even devote myself into making Luke into a legend, but nope, they're all lost into the non-new heroes banners.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:50 PM, Xenomata said:

...oh. Well then, guess the original Helbindi stays the base.

Since Arena Assault is generally where bindi will be most used (an environment where I can control how many buffers are on the field), Byleistr should in that case be fine for the forseeable future. I'll consider Hack-o'-Lantern if I ever build an element team with Helbindi in it.

It doesn't, I generally pick +Def/+Res if I intend for the unit to be a tank rather than slightly stronger Special Triggers. It is a point to add in, at least, since Iceberg triggers on Helbindi will never be as strong as Bonfire triggers, and HP only matters for special triggers if Vengeance/Reprisal are involved.

...the only way I see it mattering is on a Slaying Weapon + Stance Breath + Bonfire/Iceberg build (such as what my own Lukas runs), where stacking the defensive stat as high as possible also means stronger special triggers, which as long as Guard/Special Fighter aren't on the enemy you get a special every counterattack. Of course Atk will still matter, but trading Def/Res for Atk on such a build would lessen the raw defensive ability of the unit.

@Nimrod First off, do you intend to reset your entire FEH account to be able to reroll for your first 5* unit? It seems doubtful you have any valuable units if you quit soon after the game launched.

Is it too late to start? No. Sure you don't have as many of the resources we who have been playing since launch have had, but you can still catch up over time. The game has also not become... well, not so complex that it's impossible for a newbie to understand what's going on. There's certainly a lot of elements of combat to try and understand though...

As for valuable units in current banners, as of today...

Reveal hidden contents

>Bride Tharja from Bridal Bloom is a direct stat upgrade from normal Tharja, but normal Tharja has a strong personal weapon that may make her more worth investing in. Also in Bridal Bloom is Bride Ninian, a flying Dancer. I personally recommend trying for her, as while she isn't Legendary Azura, she is still a flying dancer and worth grabbing.

>From Bridal Blessings, Bride Cordelia remains one of the stronger Infantry Bows in the game. There are better bow users overall, but as of now you probably won't get any of them that easily without a lot of luck, so if you want a strong Bow user, consider Bride Cordelia.

>The New Heroes: From a Future Past banner features Kjelle (who is basically a better Effie), Yarne (a potent Green Beast Cav), and Nah (a really tanky Red Manakete). Brady is nothing special as far as healers go, but that's in comparison to a number of other healing units in the game, so for you he may be a good start to look at.

>Weekly Revival banners will be cycling every week. Right now we have Celica, one of the strongest Red Mages in the game at her maximum investment, Delthea, who is pretty good for a Blue Mage, and Genny, valuable fodder for the Wrathful Staff skill. You should check the Weekly Revival banners schedule to see if any units coming in the next few weeks catches your eye.

>The Focus: New Power banner has a few units available at lower rarities on it, but also has Elincia, a fast Sword Flier with a Prf Brave Sword that has a low speed penalty compared to normal Brave weapons. She's worth considering IMO.

>On the Summer Returns banner, pretty much everyone is worth considering. Laegjarn probably has the most raw power potential for getting you through most any content though.

>On the Tempest Trials banner, all 3 units are good at their respective roles: Ylgr is fast and raw power, Laegjarn is fast and bulky and also punishes heavy use of Field Buffs (from skills such as Rallys, Hones, Fortifys, etc), and Helbindi is a raw tank.

>Worth considering as well is that in the next week, two more banners will come up, featuring the Summer 2017 and Summer 2018 units.

So out of all of the above... I personally recommend aiming for Bride Ninian above all else. She has a powerful role in the army as a Dancer, and flying dancers are not common yet. While Legendary Azura remains the top of Flying Dancers, Bride Ninian is still a great dancer to have. If you want her, however, you will need to hurry, as her banner ends at midnight PST, aka 12 hours from now.

As for free units, I honestly don't know what the currently available free units are.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I didn't manage to recruit Ninian. Not that I didn't pull her at all, it's more like I did some tier list research on that gamepress site and began to shoot for Ophelia and Lewyn.

In the end I settled for this, using 37 of the initial 60 orbs and performing about 100 rerolls on two phones 🙂

Screenshot_2019-06-22-21-57-30.thumb.png.a13080c6236bb304ce78b675a67cc55c.png

Granted I had better rolls with even up to 5 five star units but getting them both was crucial to me (for whatever reason).

Another problem was IVs. If one of the was acceptable the other one was lacking. 

Finally I got my perfect match (if gamepress recommendations can be trusted)

Lewin +spd-hp

Screenshot_2019-06-22-21-57-06.thumb.png.da1513d9f67a7a9f48ce2b1fe738e241.png

Ophelia +atk-def

Screenshot_2019-06-22-21-56-35.thumb.png.3ca05a6eb3a6f86c8eaa592a127244b3.png

Quite happy with this roll. Who needs a ton of units anyway 🙂

1 hour ago, Nimrod said:

Not that I didn't pull her at all, it's more like I did some tier list research on that gamepress site and began to shoot for Ophelia and Lewyn.

Tier lists right now are hot garbage, though Ophelia and Levn are both solid picks (though ideally, you'd have Ophelia eat Levn for Special Spiral).

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Tier lists right now are hot garbage, though Ophelia and Levn are both solid picks (though ideally, you'd have Ophelia eat Levn for Special Spiral).

May I ask what the problem is with tier lists?

Not that I overly care about tier lists. it's just when you start a game you want to pull for some good carry units.

48 minutes ago, Nimrod said:

May I ask what the problem is with tier lists?

The Gamepress tier list claims to be an Arena offense tier list. It cannot possibly be accurate because an Arena offense tier list in the current babysitter meta would have only male Corrin, Legendary Azura, Kaden, Surtr, and some staff units being the only S-tier characters with everyone else in A-tier or lower. A-tier would consist exclusively of Firesweep builds and units with exceptional (but not quite S-tier) exclusive support skills.

As for tier lists in general, the primary problem is that all of the existing tier lists I'm aware of are either trash or are horribly out-of-date.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

The Gamepress tier list claims to be an Arena offense tier list. It cannot possibly be accurate because an Arena offense tier list in the current babysitter meta would have only male Corrin, Legendary Azura, Kaden, Surtr, and some staff units being the only S-tier characters with everyone else in A-tier or lower. A-tier would consist exclusively of Firesweep builds and units with exceptional (but not quite S-tier) exclusive support skills.

As for tier lists in general, the primary problem is that all of the existing tier lists I'm aware of are either trash or are horribly out-of-date.

Oh thanks. 

Well, tier lists in gacha games are prone to change rapidly at times. Guess it's not different here. I rather play for the fun and try to build a few units I like, like Nino and Nowi, no matter which tier they are, and who knows maybe they will become S-tier one day :). Speaking of tier lists, feh consists of quite a respectable number of units atm, when I looked at the banners I wouldn't even know who to pull for, so I just went for the hero fest banner.

5 minutes ago, Nimrod said:

Well, tier lists in gacha games are prone to change rapidly at times.

It's been more than half a year since the Arena scoring rules were last changed and the only tier list that appears to have changed its criteria to reflect the new rules is the Gamepedia tier list, which was just plainly retired because of the triviality of the tier list (noting that I was basically able to summarize the entire tier list in two sentences).

Gamepress's tier list is continually updating with new content, but is pretending like the new rules somehow don't exist.

(Tier lists for Arena Assault and most PvE modes are useless because you can always counterpick against the opponent's team, and tier lists for Aether Raids don't appear to exist yet because the meta hadn't settled down until recently.)

Does fielding more than 1 Velouria grants further Special cooldown count similar to how 2 M!Corrins grants twice the buffs? If I field 2 Velourias for example, does that mean I can instantly charge a Blade mage's Luna? I assume it does, but I just want to confirm.

Edited by XRay

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

Does fielding more than 1 Velouria grants further Special cooldown count similar to how 2 M!Corrins grants twice the buffs? If I field 2 Velourias for example, does that mean I can instantly charge a Blade mage's Luna? I assume it does, but I just want to confirm.

Yes, that is correct.

I have a neutral Legendary Eirika, but I have one that is +defense as well and I'm having trouble deciding which one to merge into. Merging into the neutral one would get her some extra speed, but defense is a super boon. What would benefit her the most? I generally use her for Galeforce in Aether Raids, and it feels like there are situations where both the extra speed and extra defense could have been the optimal choice.

Also, I asked this in the general thread yesterday and got some responses, but I'll ask here as well because I got conflicting answers: What would be the best boon for a Summer Tana? I'm planning on making her +10, and I can choose between +atk and +spd. She usually runs one of Rauðrblade or Fruit of Iðunn, mainly in a flier team. I feel like she has more ways to make up for her speed than her attack, and it's easy to get into overkill speed territory when she has buffs from teammates. On the other hand I also want to use her on AR defense, where she might not consistently get as many buffs and thus speed might be more important. I might be making a bigger deal out of this choice than it is, but it's my first time merging a 5-star exclusive unit to +10 and that makes it feel important to me because I couldn't easily change it if I regret it later.

Is Wrath still as big a deal now as it was when Nephenee first released? I got a free Neph on the Revival Banner and she has better IVs than the one I currently have (+ATK/-HP vs +ATK/-SPD), so I want to know whether it's worth merging her or foddering the first. The only SI I did for the original was Fury 3, so I don't mind giving her up if that's the smarter choice.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, BoaFerox said:

I have a neutral Legendary Eirika, but I have one that is +defense as well and I'm having trouble deciding which one to merge into. Merging into the neutral one would get her some extra speed, but defense is a super boon. What would benefit her the most? I generally use her for Galeforce in Aether Raids, and it feels like there are situations where both the extra speed and extra defense could have been the optimal choice.

Offensive power is generally more important than bulk. High bulk is not necessary for Player Phase units since most Enemy Phase enemies can rarely one shot your unit on the counter attack. If you are also running Wings of Mercy Dancers/Singers, you want your Galeforce nuke to have low bulk.

1 hour ago, BoaFerox said:

Also, I asked this in the general thread yesterday and got some responses, but I'll ask here as well because I got conflicting answers: What would be the best boon for a Summer Tana? I'm planning on making her +10, and I can choose between +atk and +spd. She usually runs one of Rauðrblade or Fruit of Iðunn, mainly in a flier team. I feel like she has more ways to make up for her speed than her attack, and it's easy to get into overkill speed territory when she has buffs from teammates. On the other hand I also want to use her on AR defense, where she might not consistently get as many buffs and thus speed might be more important. I might be making a bigger deal out of this choice than it is, but it's my first time merging a 5-star exclusive unit to +10 and that makes it feel important to me because I couldn't easily change it if I regret it later.

As I mentioned previously, this depends on how you use her and how you prioritize different game modes. I personally prioritize Aether Raids the most, so I prefer +Spd for the vast majority of my Desperation nukes as I want to be sure that I can double as reliably as possible. If you are using her often against high Spd units in Aether Raids defense, +Spd is crucial to reliably get doubles as players' super tanks can easily get 40+ Spd with 2 M!Corrins backing their super tank up. If she is mostly just used for clearing content in Abyssal, then +Atk is usually better as enemies there are super bulky but rarely super fast.

Overkilling Spd is not an issue in my opinion since the Spd ceiling is slowly but always rising.

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Is Wrath still as big a deal now as it was when Nephenee first released? I got a free Neph on the Revival Banner and she has better IVs than the one I currently have (+ATK/-HP vs +ATK/-SPD), so I want to know whether it's worth merging her or foddering the first. The only SI I did for the original was Fury 3, so I don't mind giving her up if that's the smarter choice.

Thanks in advance!

For Player Phase units, it is great if you can reliably count on Bolt Traps or if you have DW!Berkut to get your unit's HP low. It can charge Moonbow every round when you pair it with a Slaying Weapon, turning a lot of melee units into one-shot nukes. Unfortunately, you cannot pair it with Desperation since that Seal is not out yet and none of the inheritable A Sketchy Summer Weapons are melee, so the only Desperation melee nuke you can use it with right now is just Lyn.

It also works great with Enemy Phase units to boost their damage output, but just be aware that you will also be reducing their survivability since that B slot could have went to something like Dull Range or Guard instead.

4 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Thanks in advance!

Characters that come to mind that would be good Wrath users would be Fir, Karel, Hector with Berserk Armads, LA Hector, Mia, Mordecai, and Nailah. All of them have weapons that have some form of a Wo Dao effect, deals +10 damage when special triggers. If you can set it up, get them into Wrath range, then every time they activate their special, they will deal +20 damage on top of whatever their special does like Aether, Bonfire, Glacies, Glimmer, Iceberg, Ignis, Luna, Moonbow, Nootime, and Sol. Fir and Hector have a high defense stat they can use, namely resistance for Fir and defense for Hector, but Fir can't reduce Iceberg or any 3 cooldown special to charged when she's in Wrath range since her and Karel's Nameless Blade have a Killer and Wo Dao effect while Hector can since Berserk Armads has a Killer and Wrath effect. She and Karel can have charged 2 cooldown specials, however, and the upside is when they're not in Wrath range, they still get the +10 damage when triggering a special unlike Hector who only gets his special's damage boost. Mia and Mordecai are the only ones who can't have a charged special when in Wrath range since their personal weapons don't have a Killer effect. Mordecai and Nailah also need to be transformed for their personal weapons to have the Wo Dao effect when they trigger their special. Back to Hector, with double Wrath, Hector can have charged Bonfires meaning on top of guaranteed 20 damage, there's the +18 added damage he gets from Bonfire; regular Hector's neutral 37 defense means 18 damage from Bonfire while LA Hector's 40 neutral defense means 20 damage from Bonfire.

Additionally, there's Ayra who can have Wrath boosted Regnal Astra. It can be charged as well when she's in Wrath range if she runs Slaying Edge and Wo Dao will let her do more damage, but Slaying Edge might be better with charged Regnal Astra. Karla who comes with Wrath, Linus, Lon'qu, and Raven have very high attack that they can do a number with charged Glimmer or Moonbow. All four have high offenses and a personal Killer weapon where Karla's Vassal Blade guarantees her up to +7 damage if her speed is that much higher than her opponent's and Linus, Lon'qu, and Raven have weapons with a L&D3 unique refinement.

Anyway, the thing is setting it up which might be difficult depending on the circumstances and as XRay noted, you can't run Wrath the skill and something else like Desperation and Vantage since they're not seals yet. For instance, Quickened Pulse is used to set up Wrath 6, Bonfire for Hector on the first round of combat, but his defense is very high which could mean he won't drop to <= 75% against a physical damage unit. If and when Desperation and Vantage becomes seal, regular Hector with Berserk Armads and LA Hector with a Vantage seal would be terrifying, but then they run into an issue where they don't have Quickened Pulse to set up Wrath 6, Bonfire.

3 hours ago, XRay said:

For Player Phase units, it is great if you can reliably count on Bolt Traps or if you have DW!Berkut to get your unit's HP low. It can charge Moonbow every round when you pair it with a Slaying Weapon, turning a lot of melee units into one-shot nukes. Unfortunately, you cannot pair it with Desperation since that Seal is not out yet and none of the inheritable A Sketchy Summer Weapons are melee, so the only Desperation melee nuke you can use it with right now is just Lyn.

Mareeta has a small window where she can do the same thing as Lyn with unique refined Sol Katti and Wrath, but it's definitely impractical when she needs to be at >= 50% HP for Shadow Sword's reverse Desperation effect and <= 75% HP for Wrath. Mareeta's probably better off with Special Spiral and pairing that with her default Luna or some other special like an AoE, Aether, Astra, Bonfire, Draconic Aura, Dragon Fang, or Ignis. I think her defense can be high enough, especially if she were merged and Bonfire would be a good option if she's fighting more average to low defense units than high ones where Luna would scale better, but I digress.

Edited by Kaden

3 hours ago, XRay said:

Offensive power is generally more important than bulk. High bulk is not necessary for Player Phase units since most Enemy Phase enemies can rarely one shot your unit on the counter attack. If you are also running Wings of Mercy Dancers/Singers, you want your Galeforce nuke to have low bulk.

This makes sense. Would be more practical for me to merge into the neutral one as well, since I wouldn't have to level her up again. Thanks!

3 hours ago, XRay said:

As I mentioned previously, this depends on how you use her and how you prioritize different game modes. I personally prioritize Aether Raids the most, so I prefer +Spd for the vast majority of my Desperation nukes as I want to be sure that I can double as reliably as possible. If you are using her often against high Spd units in Aether Raids defense, +Spd is crucial to reliably get doubles as players' super tanks can easily get 40+ Spd with 2 M!Corrins backing their super tank up. If she is mostly just used for clearing content in Abyssal, then +Atk is usually better as enemies there are super bulky but rarely super fast.

Overkilling Spd is not an issue in my opinion since the Spd ceiling is slowly but always rising.

The hard part is that I use her for everything 😛 But I get what you're saying. I guess extra speed would be future proofing her in a way, even though I like seeing her reach over 60 attack as well.

I also thought about what you said about giving her Sturdy Impact yesterday, and I think I'll hold on to my Tibarn a bit longer. Sturdy Impact would also put her at a slightly beefy 35 defense on initiation, which could make her not get into Wings of Mercy range sometimes. The solution to my A-slot skill problem seems to have dropped into my hands just now however, as I got an extra Summer Laegjarn while spending my tempest orbs trying to get Summer Helbindi. Now I could give Tana Swift Sparrow 3, I assume this is the new optimal skill for most speedy player phase units? With a speed boon it would put her over 50 speed on initiation without buffs.

3 minutes ago, BoaFerox said:

Now I could give Tana Swift Sparrow 3, I assume this is the new optimal skill for most speedy player phase units?

It really depends on how much you need the extra Spd compared to other stats and which Sacred Seal you're planning to run since Sturdy Impact and Fury 4 are still strong competition for the slot, especially with Darting Blow available as a Sacred Seal.

Sturdy Impact + Darting Blow, for example, is superior to Swift Sparrow 3 + Armored Blow, but Swift Sparrow 3 has better pairings with Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade (especially the latter for infantry), and Fury 4 has better pairings with Brazen skills for longer game modes.

2 hours ago, Kaden said:

[snip]

That...is a lot more information than I was expecting, thank you! The only problem is that I don't have most of the units you describe; just regular Hector with regular Armads and a 4* Mordecai I haven't had the chance to train yet (I also have an Ayra, but she's -Spd). I get that Wrath is still a useful Skill though, so I'll hold off on merging for now.

Assuming I keep the new Neph, what are some good builds? The two on Gamepress use Fury and SB, but I'm wondering if everyone here has some other suggestions. If I refine Dauntless Lance I'm thinking of going for the Spd or possibly the Eff refine. Is there a consensus on the latter?

It really depends on how much you need the extra Spd compared to other stats and which Sacred Seal you're planning to run since Sturdy Impact and Fury 4 are still strong competition for the slot, especially with Darting Blow available as a Sacred Seal.

Sturdy Impact + Darting Blow, for example, is superior to Swift Sparrow 3 + Armored Blow, but Swift Sparrow 3 has better pairings with Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade (especially the latter for infantry), and Fury 4 has better pairings with Brazen skills for longer game modes.

Ah, and here I just assumed Swift Sparrow 3 was just a no-brainer replacement for SS2 on speedy units!

Edited by DefyingFates

Assuming I keep the new Neph, what are some good builds? The two on Gamepress use Fury and SB, but I'm wondering if everyone here has some other suggestions. If I refine Dauntless Lance I'm thinking of going for the Spd or possibly the Eff refine. Is there a consensus on the latter?

How you build her depends on whether you want to use her on Enemy Phase or Player Phase.

Player Phase:
Dauntless Lance [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
(Any A that boosts Atk/Spd)
Desperation
(Any C)
(Any Sacred Seal that boosts Atk, Spd, or Atk/Spd) — Heavy Blade — Flashing Blade

If you want her to do one shot kills:
Dauntless Lance [Atk]
Reposition
Moonbow
Death Blow
Wrath
(Any C)
(Any Sacred Seal that boosts Atk)

Blazing Spam:
Dauntless Lance [Atk]
Reposition
Blazing Light
Life and Death
Special Spiral
(Any C)
Hardy Bearing — Attack +3

For Enemy Phase Spd tanking:
Dauntless Lance [special]
Swap — Reposition
Moonbow — Bonfire — Ignis
Distant Counter — Darting Breath (not released yet) — (Any A that boosts Atk/Spd, Spd/Def, or Spd/Res)
Quick Riposte — Wrath — Null C-Disrupt — Null Follow-Up
(Any C)
(Any Sacred Seal that boosts Spd, Spd/Def, or Spd/Res) — Quick Riposte

For Enemy Phase Def/Res tanking
Dauntless Lance [special]
Swap — Reposition
Moonbow — Bonfire — Ignis
Distant Counter — Steady Breath — Steady Stance — Warding Breath — Warding Stance
Quick Riposte — Wrath — Null C-Disrupt — Guard
(Any C)
(Any Sacred Seal that boosts Def, Res, Spd/Def, Spd/Res, or Def/Res) — Quick Riposte

Ah, and here I just assumed Swift Sparrow 3 was just a no-brainer replacement for SS2 on speedy units!

Each A skill have different uses and are tailored to different playstyles. It is generally a no brainer if you are used to a certain play style.

I would slap Swift Sparrow on everything if I can afford it, with very few exceptions. It is easy to use and provides huge bonuses.

However, some players prefer Fury on everything for getting into Desperation range easier, so Fury would be their ideal A skill. It is also good for optional first round Spd tanking.

Other players do not mind the risk of giving up first round performance, or they have an easy way of setting up Desperation without putting the nuke through combat, so their ideal would be to aim for the crazy stat bonuses of Brazen Atk/Spd.

Atk/Spd Solo is an all round great skill on open maps with its high stat bonuses and it works on both phases, but its positioning requirement is not great for cramped maps so you will need to switch to another A skill, so there could be a huge reliability problem if a lot of content you want to tackle suddenly have lots of cramped maps.

There is also the wacky Atk/Spd Push-Renewal combo, but I do not recommend it for difficult content since it seems really difficult to use with its high maintenance cost.

Edited by XRay

Does Fallen Corrin!F want Attack or Speed more?  I'm trying to work out what build will make her handle lunatic PvE content like Chain Challenge/Squad Assault etc without having to rely on Grima for it.  She's likely going to be on a mixed team with VS!Azura if that helps.

1 minute ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Does Fallen Corrin!F want Attack or Speed more?  I'm trying to work out what build will make her handle lunatic PvE content like Chain Challenge/Squad Assault etc without having to rely on Grima for it.  She's likely going to be on a mixed team with VS!Azura if that helps.

Even for Abyssal content, +Atk is generally more than sufficient, as enemies are often bulky but rarely reach beyond 45+ Spd, with fast ones hovering around 40 to 45 and often times less. With buffs, she can easily reach 50 Spd even at +0. There are rare cases where an enemy is super fast, but that is rare and far between.