"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Can Time Pulse be used with Wrath or would Wrath activate first and make Time Pulse useless?

Start-of-turn effects all calculate whether they will activate at the same time and then all activate at the same time. That way, the effects of other start-of-turn skills will never affect whether a skill activates or not.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Start-of-turn effects all calculate whether they will activate at the same time and then all activate at the same time. That way, the effects of other start-of-turn skills will never affect whether a skill activates or not.

In other words, they'll stack right? Neat. Cant actually make use of it right now but it helps for theorycrafting.

2 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

In other words, they'll stack right? Neat. Cant actually make use of it right now but it helps for theorycrafting.

Yeah, they'll stack. Time's Pulse also stacks with all of the start-of-first-turn skills like Quickened Pulse, Wolfpup Fang, Missiletainn, etc.

So I've decided to go with Grima's super boon and was wondering if my testing was correct for making him a player phase killer armour, the set up I am considering is a budget one until I can get some premium fodder for him:

Spoiler

Weapon: Expiration (no brainer)

Assist: Swap/Pivot/Reposition

Special: Aether/???

A Skill: Life and Death 3/Attack Defense solo 3

B Skill: Special Fighter 3/ (Bold Fighter 3 for the premium skill I have yet to get a second duma/hecotor etc who has it all will go into feeding my precious wings of despair XD)

C Skill: Attack Smoke

S Seal: Attack +3/Attack boosting seals

I'm unsure if there are other skills that will help Grima really punch through some of the more difficult enemies he could have to face.  Also don't even speak of Aether Raids because I don't care for that mode beyond vegetating around rank 17 or whatever.  So anything regarding that mode is useless to me.

4 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Hide contents

Weapon: Expiration (no brainer)

Assist: Swap/Pivot/Reposition

Special: Aether/???

A Skill: Life and Death 3/Attack Defense solo 3

B Skill: Special Fighter 3/ (Bold Fighter 3 for the premium skill I have yet to get a second duma/hecotor etc who has it all will go into feeding my precious wings of despair XD)

C Skill: Attack Smoke

S Seal: Attack +3/Attack boosting seals

Special Fighter isn’t really budget, unless he already inherited it.

If you want him to be pure player phase power, Death Blow 3/4 and Luna would give you the best results against the bulkiest enemies.

57 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Special Fighter isn’t really budget, unless he already inherited it.

If you want him to be pure player phase power, Death Blow 3/4 and Luna would give you the best results against the bulkiest enemies.

Well I had a spare fallen Tiki so she became Grima food, hence budget.  I was also looking at Life and Death 3 but I'm not sure if that is good for his mixed phase bulk or if he wants Attack/Defense Solo 3 more.

1 hour ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Well I had a spare fallen Tiki so she became Grima food, hence budget.  I was also looking at Life and Death 3 but I'm not sure if that is good for his mixed phase bulk or if he wants Attack/Defense Solo 3 more. 

Expiration isn't as much a no brainer as you might think, something like a refined Dark Breath+ would be better unless you specifically need the DC effect.

Aether is something you'll struggle to charge with it's cooldown of 5. For actually killing things you might want a shorter cooldown ability.

- One with a cooldown of 2 would be guaranteed to fire at the start of the second engagement even if you one-shot the first enemy. This would be true regardless of whether you take Special Fighter or keep Vengeful Fighter.

- One with a cooldown of 3 would be charged by both Special and Vengeful Fighter if the enemy survives to retaliate.

- One with a cooldown of 4 would be charged by either Special Fighter by a single enemy retaliation, or by Vengeful Fighter if you get doubled on retaliation.

Take the Solo skill for the A slot.

For the B slot, consider the scenarios regarding the specials above. The cooldown reduction is subtly but importantly different between Special and Vengeful Fighter. For special, you get 2 charges both when you hit the enemy and when you take a hit. For Vengeful Fighter it only works when you hit, being hit only grants the regular single charge. If you go with a 3 CD special, going with one over the other will often not matter, at least offensively. Special Fighter is superior for your player phase purposes, but if there's any element of mixed phase combat going on, consider the survival value of one-rounding the attacker to death instead of just denying them their special charges.

Atk Smoke is fine but is redundant if you go Dark Breath (same with Spd Smoke). Unfortunately Res Smoke is only on F Grima at the moment so it's pretty hard to get.

Edited by Humanoid

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Expiration isn't as much a no brainer as you might think, something like a refined Dark Breath+ would be better unless you specifically need the DC effect.

Aether is something you'll struggle to charge with it's cooldown of 5. For actually killing things you might want a shorter cooldown ability.

- One with a cooldown of 2 would be guaranteed to fire at the start of the second engagement even if you one-shot the first enemy. This would be true regardless of whether you take Special Fighter or keep Vengeful Fighter.

- One with a cooldown of 3 would be charged by both Special and Vengeful Fighter if the enemy survives to retaliate.

- One with a cooldown of 4 would be charged by either Special Fighter by a single enemy retaliation, or by Vengeful Fighter if you get doubled on retaliation.

For the B slot, consider the scenarios regarding the specials above. The cooldown reduction is subtly but importantly different between Special and Vengeful Fighter. For special, you get 2 charges both when you hit the enemy and when you take a hit. For Vengeful Fighter it only works when you hit, being hit only grants the regular single charge. If you go with a 3 CD special, going with one over the other will often not matter, at least offensively. Special Fighter is superior for your player phase purposes, but if there's any element of mixed phase combat going on, consider the survival value of one-rounding the attacker to death instead of just denying them their special charges.

Atk Smoke is fine but is redundant if you go Dark Breath (same with Spd Smoke). Unfortunately Res Smoke is only on F Grima at the moment so it's pretty hard to get.

We are talking here about Armorers. An Armorer without DC is really trash because you can kite them all day and all night and they die quick without the threat of DC. Special Fighter is a good skill, but it really depends what you want to do with Grima. Special Fighter really shines perfect on Speedy Armorers. on Grima it will make his Playerphase garbage because of his lack of speed, he wont get any special off. As an Enemyphase tank Special Fighter adds some bulk in the sense that the enemy doesnt get their Specials faster off but he is then prone to being doubled because no Wary Fighter.

In all honesty though Dragon Armorers are not a good pick for any form of AR Offense Team or Defense Team. There are way many Armor and Dargon effectiv weapons. My Dancing Dagger Olivia just annihilated with her Bucket an entire Dragon Defense Team consistent of Idunn, Legendary Tiki, Sothis and Nowi.

Also Kagero with Rend Heaven pre charged (which is really easy with 2 charges) kills almost all dragons and doesnt get killed on the counter.
Or Naga, i park Naga in my Defense Team during Astra/Anima season, it stops any form of Dragons that want to supertank the Team, because you cant supertank 4 units (Hrid, Sonya, BrideFjorm and Naga herself) with Dragon effectivness with a Dragon. (until a 2. Anima/Astra Defense Mythic comes out that synergizes better with Duma)

Grima will shine again once a A-Slot comes out with Dragon effectivness removal (which hopefully never happens).

@Hilda Chloey's request was explicitly about modes other than Aether Raids, so I'm thinking more about just making a fun unit to use in non-competitive content, or stuff like GHBs at most. I'm guessing the intention is just to build an Awakening-themed posse to do general content with. Sure, it's a bit of a round hole square peg thing but when Bold Fighter fodder finally arrives I can see how it can be kind of fun to do something out of the ordinary.

Edited by Humanoid

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

We are talking here about Armorers. An Armorer without DC is really trash because you can kite them all day and all night and they die quick without the threat of DC. Special Fighter is a good skill, but it really depends what you want to do with Grima. Special Fighter really shines perfect on Speedy Armorers. on Grima it will make his Playerphase garbage because of his lack of speed, he wont get any special off. As an Enemyphase tank Special Fighter adds some bulk in the sense that the enemy doesnt get their Specials faster off but he is then prone to being doubled because no Wary Fighter.

In all honesty though Dragon Armorers are not a good pick for any form of AR Offense Team or Defense Team. There are way many Armor and Dargon effectiv weapons. My Dancing Dagger Olivia just annihilated with her Bucket an entire Dragon Defense Team consistent of Idunn, Legendary Tiki, Sothis and Nowi.

Also Kagero with Rend Heaven pre charged (which is really easy with 2 charges) kills almost all dragons and doesnt get killed on the counter.
Or Naga, i park Naga in my Defense Team during Astra/Anima season, it stops any form of Dragons that want to supertank the Team, because you cant supertank 4 units (Hrid, Sonya, BrideFjorm and Naga herself) with Dragon effectivness with a Dragon. (until a 2. Anima/Astra Defense Mythic comes out that synergizes better with Duma)

Grima will shine again once a A-Slot comes out with Dragon effectivness removal (which hopefully never happens).

Um...I said no AR, I kind of meant it.  I absolutely HATE aether raids with a passion and as I said I pretty much float around rank 17 or whatever because I don't care about AR.  Also bring the A Skill I welcome it to put idiot annoying red/colourless dragons in their place with the effective against dragon weapons.

6 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Grima is likely going to need his DC and I doubt he'd want a refineable weapon tbh.  I was glad I got to test a few builds and found some really scary builds that would take out all but the most stubborn of red units so...I might make use of it.

Hey there, I'm lost trying to build a new team so I've come here for some help, I have lot of characters I don't use but I'm a bit of a perfectionnist so when I build a team I want it to be near flawless and the problem is that I've always built team around tactics skills, hone and fortify fliers/cavalry/armored and this time I want to build an infantry team or with 1-2 fliers but I don't intend to use tactics because I have no spd tactic fodders and without all those +6 everywhere I feel like my team is bad... So which skills could I use to get good boosts without having to rely on tactics ?

Sorry for my poor explaination

1 hour ago, Instaburst said:

Hey there, I'm lost trying to build a new team so I've come here for some help, I have lot of characters I don't use but I'm a bit of a perfectionnist so when I build a team I want it to be near flawless and the problem is that I've always built team around tactics skills, hone and fortify fliers/cavalry/armored and this time I want to build an infantry team or with 1-2 fliers but I don't intend to use tactics because I have no spd tactic fodders and without all those +6 everywhere I feel like my team is bad... So which skills could I use to get good boosts without having to rely on tactics ?

Sorry for my poor explaination

I like drives on my three infantry one flier main team. It’s not as high of a boost as tactics but it’s not visible so it can’t be panicked, and the positioning for them is easy to satisfy (plus they’re a pretty cheap option). I also suggest guidance (seal or as a c slot) if you do stick a flier on there because it’s good to have different movement options. Wave skills can be pretty hit or miss (unless it’s someone like Nino who has one in her weapon) thanks to the turn limitation, plus the atk and spd ones are very rare besides the one that comes with Fallen Delthea.

The joint hones are great though if you ever manage to pull one. Just one less point to the stat and it effects the user too. Smokes can be useful too, especially atk smoke on a tank. Really it depends on your team and what they need.

And I’ve got a question for y’all: any non-Victorious Axe suggestions for Edelgard? The guaranteed follow up is nice but it and the rest of her kit don’t really synergize with a team, especially since she’s a melee infantry unit. That two move hurts, and I don’t want to have to run a dancer with her to use her well. She’s +def -hp if that helps

23 minutes ago, kirauza343 said:

And I’ve got a question for y’all: any non-Victorious Axe suggestions for Edelgard? The guaranteed follow up is nice but it and the rest of her kit don’t really synergize with a team, especially since she’s a melee infantry unit. That two move hurts, and I don’t want to have to run a dancer with her to use her well. She’s +def -hp if that helps

What are you looking for exactly? Victorious Axe is a personal Killer Axe with the more enemies than allies to guarantee a follow-up attack check. That's pretty good. Axes are kind of shafted when it comes to inheritable axes and ones in the regular summoning pool. They don't have Firesweep Axe to this day, if you really hate cavalry units, then you'd need to sacrifice a Gerome and possibly use grails for that, and they don't have any of the Stance weapons like swords have Barrier Sword and Safeguard and lances have Barrier/Berkut's Lance and Vanguard. You're mainly looking at inheriting Brave Axe, Emerald Axe+, Silver Axe+ and choosing the Mt refine for 18 Mt shenanigans, a Slaying Axe to keep the -1 special cooldown effect and to gain stats in return for 2 Mt and the follow-up effect, Slaying Hammer to fight armors, and Wo Gun which she can use, but being able to follow-up with it would be a good thing to activate a special which Victorious Axe already does for her. Everything else is seasonal or limited.

For seasonal:

• Beach Banner+ (Atk/Spd/Def/Res+2 when initiating) from summer Innes who is currently the fast axe flier
  • Carrot Axe+ (when refined, restores 4 HP if the user attacked during combat) from spring Chrom
  • Faithful Axe+ (Atk/Spd/Def/Res+3 during combat when adjacent to an ally) from GD Greil who has Fury 4 and Armor March 3. You can get this axe, Fury 4, and Aether onto Edelgard if you have her inherit Luna/Sol and Fury 3 so she can inherit Faithful Axe, Faithful Axe+, Aether, and Fury 4 from him.
  • Giant Spoon+ (deals +10 damage when triggering a special) from spring Alfonse which is the same as Wo Gun, so unless you want Edelgard to fight with a spoon, it would be better to get Def Smoke 3 from him onto her or someone else.
  • Hagoitia+ (grants Def/Res+2 to allies within 2 spaces during combat) from New Year's Azura
  • Handbell+ or Sack o' Gifts+ (Atk/Spd/Def/Res+2 when foe initiates combat) from winter Lissa or winter Chrom
  • Lilith Floatie+ (grants Atk/Spd+1 to allies within 2 spaces during combat) from summer Xander. I'd rather get Infantry Pulse from him which =HP Edelgard can sort of use. She has 41 HP to summer Xander's 43 HP.
  • Melon Crusher+ (at start of combat, if unit's HP = 100%, grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res+2 and deals 2 HP after combat if unit attacked) from summer Tiki

For limited units:

• Ardent Service+ (Hone Atk 3) from groom Marth
  • Hack-o'-Lantern+ (Guard effect with no HP requirement other than being alive) from TLB Dorcas. You could pick up the axe, Swap, and Sturdy Stance 2 from him, but that would require getting Sturdy Stance 1 from someone else and the only other unit with Sturdy Stance is legendary Ephraim.
  • Legion's Axe+ (when refined, inflicts Panic on target and foes within 2 spaces of target after combat if unit attacked) from Legion. If you don't have Fury on Edelgard, then at least inherit Fury 1 so she can pick up Legion's Axe+ and Fury 3 from him. If you want Reprisal or Obstruct 3 for whatever reason, then you'd want at at least Fury 2 and Retribution or Obstruct 2 inherited so she can pick up Legion's Axe, Legion's Axe+, Fury 3, and Reprisal or Obstruct 3 from him.
  • Poleaxe+ (effective against cavalry foes) from Gerome as covered above
  • Shoreline Rake+ (grants Atk/Def+4 during combat if unit has a field buff) from summer Ylgr. Edelgard probably doesn't have the speed, so if you go for this, picking up Even Def Wave 3 with the rake would be a good idea. You'd only need Even Def Wave 1 from a Silas since Edelgard would then inherit Shoreline Rake, Shoreline Rake+, Even Def Wave 2, and Even Def Wave 3 from summer Ylgr. And from Silas, if she already inherited Reposition, then you can grab Steady Stance 3 and Even Def Wave 1 from 4* Silas and complete Even Def Wave from summer Ylgr while inheriting her rake.

1 hour ago, kirauza343 said:

Inheritable options for axes kind of suck.

Victorious Axe is pretty much strictly better than Brave Axe+ and Slaying Axe+ on player phase, meaning the only real competition is Slaying Hammer+ and enemy-phase Slaying Axe+.

As for team synergy, she's intended to be a soloist, either running off on her own to snipe something that's separated from the rest of the enemy team or to get Repositioned or Smited into the fray without needing to be pulled out afterwards.

59 minutes ago, kirauza343 said:

I like drives on my three infantry one flier main team. It’s not as high of a boost as tactics but it’s not visible so it can’t be panicked, and the positioning for them is easy to satisfy (plus they’re a pretty cheap option). I also suggest guidance (seal or as a c slot) if you do stick a flier on there because it’s good to have different movement options. Wave skills can be pretty hit or miss (unless it’s someone like Nino who has one in her weapon) thanks to the turn limitation, plus the atk and spd ones are very rare besides the one that comes with Fallen Delthea.

The joint hones are great though if you ever manage to pull one. Just one less point to the stat and it effects the user too. Smokes can be useful too, especially atk smoke on a tank. Really it depends on your team and what they need.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll do a mix between wave and drive and I'll show you when my team is done

If he's merged then it doesn't matter, he'll be +speed either way. Merging destroys the bane - or, in the case of neutral units, gives a +1 boost to three different stats.

Edited by Parrhesia

I just thought about something

Isn't Gunthraa new year and Brave Micaiah an excellent combo ?

Hikami : Grants Spd+3. At start of turn, inflicts Atk/Spd/Def/Res-4 on nearest foes within 4 spaces through their next actions.

Light of Dawn : Effective against armored and cavalry foes. Grants Res+3. Grants bonus to Atk/Spd/Def/Res during combat = current penalty on each target's stats. Calculates each stat bonus independently.

2 hours ago, Instaburst said:

I just thought about something

Isn't Gunthraa new year and Brave Micaiah an excellent combo ?

Hikami : Grants Spd+3. At start of turn, inflicts Atk/Spd/Def/Res-4 on nearest foes within 4 spaces through their next actions.

Light of Dawn : Effective against armored and cavalry foes. Grants Res+3. Grants bonus to Atk/Spd/Def/Res during combat = current penalty on each target's stats. Calculates each stat bonus independently.

They do work together well. Though Micaiah can debuff atk and spd with her own skill and they don’t stack, so only the def and res will work most of the time.

18 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

They do work together well. Though Micaiah can debuff atk and spd with her own skill and they don’t stack, so only the def and res will work most of the time.

I guess so, but looking at it another way, that saves you a B skill on B.Micaiah.

It's arguably the best B-skill in the game, pretty much twice as good at the Sabotage skills that were already incredible on the right chassis. I'd sooner save a squad slot on bridal Gunnthra.

9 hours ago, Instaburst said:

I guess so, but looking at it another way, that saves you a B skill on B.Micaiah.

Yune's Whisper is pretty reliable since enemies like to bunch up together a lot, and its reach is global.

Hikami is not global, and while it does have a pretty far reach, it is not as reliable since it is dependent on how the enemy sets up the map. For example, against a line of ranged cavalry on Desert Terrain in Aether Raids, Hikami would be extremely ineffective.

Is Fury better than Swift Sparrow in Katarina? I’m planning on build her, but want to keep Reese tome. She is +Def -Hp.

However, I’m wonder if is it worth to give her a good build or just save her as SS fodder. 

18 minutes ago, Karuu30 said:

Is Fury better than Swift Sparrow in Katarina? I’m planning on build her, but want to keep Reese tome. She is +Def -Hp.

However, I’m wonder if is it worth to give her a good build or just save her as SS fodder. 

Fury boosts her Res a bit for Ploying purposes, as well as giving her an easy way to get down to Desperation range while still retaining a boost to her Atk and Spd.
Swift Sparrow is a flat Atk/Spd boost that isn't susceptible to being Chilled.

Fury has a slight edge in that regard, though the fact she has SS at all is something to consider. You should not, however, consider giving her Fury for the Defense boost, because even a Superbooned 19, extra 3 from Fury, and potential +6 from Owltome effect is still not worth trying to fix when you could focus on her actually good stats.