"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

15 hours ago, Etheus said:

That leaves skill inheritance. His SS4 is a great skill, but who would be really optimal candidates for this thing. Camus, Boey, and Xander immediately come to mind, and I'm already running it on Michalis. Anyone else, from a dolphin/semi-free perspective?

I'd prioritize pure-Def tanks with Distant Counter or Close Counter on their weapon first, especially those that can't run Breath skills (like Boey and Xander).

After that, depending on your play style, you can either go for mixed tanks with Distant Counter on their weapon (like Fjorm, if you don't mind passing up on a Breath skill) or for pure-Def tanks that don't have Distant Counter (like Haar).

3 hours ago, Tree said:

I've been using +atk Dorcas which works well, but I got a +res copy on his recent banner. Not sure which is better overall. The extra attack often helps with survival, since he can one-shot tomes fairly easily with double Fierce Stance or a Brazen skill. However, +res is a superboon. Mine would have nine total merges and ten flowers, so the extra four resistance could be useful. (At +10, it's 29 resistance with +atk, and 33 resistance with +res.)

Prioritizing a superboon for no reason other than "it's a superboon" is not worth it. It's not worth giving up 3 points in a useful stat for 4 points in a less useful stat.

Defensive stats make more sense to use as an Asset the fewer merges you have on a unit. The more merges you have, the more you should lean towards Atk (or Spd for fast tanks).

Edited by Ice Dragon

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Tree said:

I've been using +atk Dorcas which works well, but I got a +res copy on his recent banner. Not sure which is better overall. The extra attack often helps with survival, since he can one-shot tomes fairly easily with double Fierce Stance or a Brazen skill. However, +res is a superboon. Mine would have nine total merges and ten flowers, so the extra four resistance could be useful. (At +10, it's 29 resistance with +atk, and 33 resistance with +res.)

33 Res is average at best, which is bad for Dorcas whose total 28 Spd at +9 merge 10 Flower won't stop any doubles whatsoever, which the majority of mages pack far more of.
If you really want to have a Res Asset, you'd go all out on his Res. I'm thinking Warding Stance 4 and Warding Stance SS for a grand total of 47 Res on Enemy Phase, not counting ally skills boosting Res, and going up to 48 once you manage to +10 him. Maybe pack Distant Defense 4 instead if you want to take on Bladetomes better. Either way, support from either Infantry Breath or Spec. Refine Brave Lucina will go a long way as well.

Even still, it's niche. The only advantage Dorcas has over other Axes is that he owns the only Distant Counter axe in the game, which lets him pack a powerful A passive over Distant Counter, but there are other Melee Greens with far better Res even packing Distant Counter, not to mention Axes who simply delete all incoming damage anyway (cough cough).

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Prioritizing a superboon for no reason other than "it's a superboon" is not worth it. It's not worth giving up 3 points in a useful stat for 4 points in a less useful stat.

Defensive stats make more sense to use as an Asset the fewer merges you have on a unit. The more merges you have, the more you should lean towards Atk (or Spd for fast tanks). 

The higher attack has certainly worked well so far. Extra resistance probably wouldn't change that much. It would help a little against dragons, but he's not that great against dragons anyway, so that probably wouldn't help much overall.

7 hours ago, Xenomata said:

33 Res is average at best, which is bad for Dorcas whose total 28 Spd at +9 merge 10 Flower won't stop any doubles whatsoever, which the majority of mages pack far more of.
If you really want to have a Res Asset, you'd go all out on his Res. I'm thinking Warding Stance 4 and Warding Stance SS for a grand total of 47 Res on Enemy Phase, not counting ally skills boosting Res, and going up to 48 once you manage to +10 him. Maybe pack Distant Defense 4 instead if you want to take on Bladetomes better. Either way, support from either Infantry Breath or Spec. Refine Brave Lucina will go a long way as well.

Even still, it's niche. The only advantage Dorcas has over other Axes is that he owns the only Distant Counter axe in the game, which lets him pack a powerful A passive over Distant Counter, but there are other Melee Greens with far better Res even packing Distant Counter, not to mention Axes who simply delete all incoming damage anyway (cough cough).

Yeah, 33 resistance isn't really all that high I guess.

So there are some units I want to use but I don't know how to properly. The first is Dimitri he is -Atk +res which isn't the best but this isn't the problem. Problem is that Noble lance is really hard to keep always activate. I want to have him as a Galeforce cavalier since I have none of these. What can I do to keep his lance active

The second one is a +Hp -spd Nah. The problem is that her base kit is makes her an awesome tank but doesn't leave space for DC which is something I like at dragons. Then I thought of lighting breath but the problem remains that if she wants any form of buffs in my dragon team she has to do it herself. So I am gravitating towards making her a supertank in AR any help?

2 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

So there are some units I want to use but I don't know how to properly. The first is Dimitri he is -Atk +res which isn't the best but this isn't the problem. Problem is that Noble lance is really hard to keep always activate. I want to have him as a Galeforce cavalier since I have none of these. What can I do to keep his lance active

Give Dimitri Savage Blow on the C slot. The first enemy he initiates on should have full HP. After combat, Dimitri should have taken counterattack damage and everyone in the surrounding area would be damaged due to Savage Blow, thus allowing Noble Lance to continue to activate.

5 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

The second one is a +Hp -spd Nah. The problem is that her base kit is makes her an awesome tank but doesn't leave space for DC which is something I like at dragons. Then I thought of lighting breath but the problem remains that if she wants any form of buffs in my dragon team she has to do it herself. So I am gravitating towards making her a supertank in AR any help?

For super tanking in Aether Raids, you want to put Distant Counter on the A slot and run stat buffers/debuffers to offset the loss of an A slot stat booster. For example, a standard super tank team consists of 1 super tank, 2 buffers/debuffers, and 2 Eirs/Nagas.

I recommend 2 buffers of M!Corrin if you want something cheap and simple, but you can also mix and match buffers and debuffers such as using 1 M!Corrin and 1 Aversa (she is pretty cheap too). For super tank buffers, I only recommend M!Corrin, Kaden, and BH!Lucina. M!Corrin works with anyone and is reliable. Kaden can give more buffs than M!Corrin but is less reliable due to his buffing ability being hard countered by Panic. BH!Lucina works with only physical units and gives slightly less stat buffs than M!Corrin, but is just as reliable as M!Corrin; the slightly weaker stat buff is made up for giving the supertank Steady Breath/Warding Breath effect buff.

In my opinion, Oracle's Breath-Distant Counter is better than Lightning Breath-Warding Breath. Being able to stop doubles basically halves an enemies damage output.

48 minutes ago, XRay said:

For super tanking in Aether Raids, you want to put Distant Counter on the A slot and run stat buffers/debuffers to offset the loss of an A slot stat booster. For example, a standard super tank team consists of 1 super tank, 2 buffers/debuffers, and 2 Eirs/Nagas.

I recommend 2 buffers of M!Corrin if you want something cheap and simple, but you can also mix and match buffers and debuffers such as using 1 M!Corrin and 1 Aversa (she is pretty cheap too). For super tank buffers, I only recommend M!Corrin, Kaden, and BH!Lucina. M!Corrin works with anyone and is reliable. Kaden can give more buffs than M!Corrin but is less reliable due to his buffing ability being hard countered by Panic. BH!Lucina works with only physical units and gives slightly less stat buffs than M!Corrin, but is just as reliable as M!Corrin; the slightly weaker stat buff is made up for giving the supertank Steady Breath/Warding Breath effect buff.

In my opinion, Oracle's Breath-Distant Counter is better than Lightning Breath-Warding Breath. Being able to stop doubles basically halves an enemies damage output.

What I was thinking is for the light season. Eir, Kaden (swap, Def/res link), healer(Brave Camila with hone spd 4), brave Michy (B slot, sacrifice and some help when needed) and finally Nah. 

Spoiler

Lightning breath+(Atk or Def refined) 

Swap 

Bonfire 

Bonus Doubler (on her kit) 

QR

Atk smoke (Def wave) 

Heavy blade(Def wave) 

For double Def waves Kaden has Atk res link. 

1 hour ago, SuperNova125 said:

What I was thinking is for the light season. Eir, Kaden (swap, Def/res link), healer(Brave Camila with hone spd 4), brave Michy (B slot, sacrifice and some help when needed) and finally Nah. 

I recommend using 2 or more buffer/debuffers. Kaden by itself does not provide enough stats in my opinion.

I do not recommend using BE!Camilla because she does not provide anything significant to the team. Slowing people down with Gravity is not necessary and her healing role is better filled with a second Eir who can heal at any distance at the start of the turn and her healing does not take up her action, so Eir can still bait or fight. Eir also increases HP to make Nah less susceptible to Panic. I recommend replacing BE!Camilla with a second Eir or another buffer/debuffer.

BE!Micaiah should be running Rally Spd if Nah is using Oracle's Breath to activate it (Panicking her Spd is not really a detriment if it happens). Sacrifice is not really necessary with Eir present in my opinion, but it is still worth keeping if you find Nah taking a lot of damage in a sudden burst, so it is a good "Oh shit!" button.

1 hour ago, SuperNova125 said:

Lightning breath+(Atk or Def refined) 

Swap 

Bonfire 

Bonus Doubler (on her kit) 

QR

Atk smoke (Def wave) 

Heavy blade(Def wave) 

For double Def waves Kaden has Atk res link. 

I would tweak the build to the following:
Lightning Breath [Spd] — Lightning Breath [Def] — Lightning Breath [Res]
Swap — Reposition
Bonfire — Moonbow
Bonus Doubler
Quick Riposte
Atk Smoke
Distant Def

The problem with Lightning Breath-Bonus Doubler is that the tank will be completely shut downed by Panic and Lulls, which is relatively common in higher tiers. Unlike Player Phase teams who can just wave off the Panic status with 2 Dancers/Singers or simply just position themselves better, Enemy Phase teams do not have that luxury. It is fine for now in the meantime, but as you encounter more Panic and Lulls, I recommend saving up for Distant Counter so you can eventually switch over to Oracle's Breath-Distant Counter.

Depending on how fast Nah gets from her buffs and enemy debuffs, you might need to switch to Moonbow if Nah is too fast to be reliably doubled. I do not recommend Atk Refinement for any unit unless they are utilizing Brave or Counter-Vantage set ups.

For Assists, I generally lean towards Swap on Enemy Phase units, but I find Reposition more useful on super tanks to help get things out of the way quickly or propel another unit to break Aether Structures. Either Assists are fine, so if you feel more comfortable with Swap, then I would stick with that.

I do not recommend running Wave skills because they take up too much skill slots.

Heavy Blade is a crap skill. It has its niche uses where it is really good on certain builds, but it is not a skill for tanking.

— — — — — — —

This is what I would build towards over time:
+Spd/Def/Res
Oracle's Breath
Swap
— Reposition
Moonbow — Bonfire
Distant Counter
Lull Atk/Spd (Not Yet Released) — Lull Atk/Res (NYR) — Quick Riposte — Null C-Disrupt
Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Quick RiposteDistant Def

If you are maxing her out eventually, you may want to consider +Spd nature. With max investment (bolded and underlined), Nah can achieve 51 Spd. 51 Spd usually is not enough to avoid doubles from the fastest units, but Lull Atk/Spd gets rid of enemy buffs so it should be enough in most cases. Even if they can out Spd Nah, the fact that they are running that much Spd means they have neglected their bulk, so Nah will just kill them on the counter attack.

51 = 29 (+Spd) + 4 (M+10) + 1 (DF+5) + 2 (S. Support) + 3 (Lull Atk/Spd) + 12 (2 M!Corrins providing equal Drives)

If you are going with the Spd build, between Quick Riposte and Distant Def, I think I lean slightly towards Quick Riposte so you can be sure to finish off enemies quickly to have ample time to break Aether Structures. If you care more about just finishing the fight as safely as possible then I would go with Distant Def.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Sacrifice is not really necessary with Eir present in my opinion, but it is still worth keeping if you find Nah taking a lot of damage in a sudden burst, so it is a good "Oh shit!" button. 

Sacrifice also has the Harsh Command effect. Maybe not as good as a healer with Restore+ or a unit with Harsh Command+, but it is helpful being a heal through Micaiah's HP and a Harsh Command in one.

For Nah, Micaiah could heal her and also convert a debuff into a buff letting Oracle's Breath work if Nah didn't have a buff active on her already. It'd be situational, but you could make it so Nah is purposely taking Chill debuffs or similar debuffs to use against the enemy.

Edited by Kaden

4 hours ago, Kaden said:

Sacrifice also has the Harsh Command effect. Maybe not as good as a healer with Restore+ or a unit with Harsh Command+, but it is helpful being a heal through Micaiah's HP and a Harsh Command in one.

For Nah, Micaiah could heal her and also convert a debuff into a buff letting Oracle's Breath work if Nah didn't have a buff active on her already. It'd be situational, but you could make it so Nah is purposely taking Chill debuffs or similar debuffs to use against the enemy.

Thing with Harsh Command and its improved version is that it does not really protect a unit from Panic. Sure you can Harsh Command/Sacrifice your tank, but lull and behold, the tank got Panicked again during the start of Enemy Phase.

The only reason to go with Harsh Command is if you need your tank to do Player Phase combat on your turn. If you do not need your tank to do Player Phase combat much, Harsh Command is pretty pointless as all debuffs wear off once you move the unit.

What would really help is if Harsh Command++ immunizes a tank from penalties and debuffs. That would be huge.

Edited by XRay

I got +spd -def Dancing Ishtar and -atk +res , which should I build for next arena ? Ishtar have lower BST, but she can reliably kill all enemies on the map and get +12 arena score, or Dancing Berkut? What should I put on his weapon , B and C skill to use him as a tank? My aim is simply to get into rank 20 once if I decide to skip the 19th banner so I consistently got 5 orbs per week.

Edited by DraceEmpressa

I kinda feel, after asking which unit to 5* +10 as casually as I would ask whose weapon to refine, that this is a kind of simple question, but hey nothing wrong with simplicity.

So Love Abounds Roy. +Atk +2 merge. Runs a standard Brave Bow+ set, minus the fact he runs Blazing Flame (leftover from my original clear of Legendary Eirika's Abyssal Hero Battle). He runs it well all things considered (After this, in fact, I'll give him enough Dragonflowers to give him an extra point in Atk). He runs Swordbreaker right now, but I realized he can learn Lull Atk/Def from Dimitri.

I have a spare Dimitri, but my main Dimitri might appreciate the additional power. Problem there, he is +Atk -Res, so removing his Flaw does nothing while the merge does a very small level of benefit in comparison.
As for Roy... I think it's the best B Passive he can get. Swordbreaker is the strongest Breaker available to him, but it pales in comparison to Lull Atk/Def. While I know it can give good results, considering it's an extra 3 Atk that ignores Defense field buffs, it's also the only copy of the skill I own, and I can't exactly hope to +10 Roy one day (in fact I have no plans to, considering he is a seasonal unit).
I don't prefer one unit over the other, IMO they're both great powerhouses, so it'd be a strict matter of who I think would benefit from additional strength.

So... opinions?

@DraceEmpressa There is no reason to build -Atk +Res, not even for the SuperAsset to get a little more Arena score. Since IMO Ishtar doesn't have any notable SI, you can just merge into +Spd -Def.

Edited by Xenomata

5 hours ago, DraceEmpressa said:

I got +spd -def Dancing Ishtar and -atk +res , which should I build for next arena ? Ishtar have lower BST, but she can reliably kill all enemies on the map and get +12 arena score,

As @Xenomata said, +Spd is better, not really a contest. +Res does not do anything for killing.

5 hours ago, DraceEmpressa said:

or Dancing Berkut? What should I put on his weapon , B and C skill to use him as a tank? My aim is simply to get into rank 20 once if I decide to skip the 19th banner so I consistently got 5 orbs per week.

The trade off is up to you. Between getting a higher score or getting easy bonus kills, I always go for easy bonus kills. There is no point in going for higher score unless it actually makes a difference in helping you stay.

If you want to use ASS!Berkut as a tank, he needs Distant Counter or else it is going to be a huge pain in the ass to use him. He needs Quick Riposte either on his B slot or Sacred Seal slot. Atk Smoke would be good for his C slot.

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I kinda feel, after asking which unit to 5* +10 as casually as I would ask whose weapon to refine, that this is a kind of simple question, but hey nothing wrong with simplicity.

So Love Abounds Roy. +Atk +2 merge. Runs a standard Brave Bow+ set, minus the fact he runs Blazing Flame (leftover from my original clear of Legendary Eirika's Abyssal Hero Battle). He runs it well all things considered (After this, in fact, I'll give him enough Dragonflowers to give him an extra point in Atk). He runs Swordbreaker right now, but I realized he can learn Lull Atk/Def from Dimitri.

I have a spare Dimitri, but my main Dimitri might appreciate the additional power. Problem there, he is +Atk -Res, so removing his Flaw does nothing while the merge does a very small level of benefit in comparison.
As for Roy... I think it's the best B Passive he can get. Swordbreaker is the strongest Breaker available to him, but it pales in comparison to Lull Atk/Def. While I know it can give good results, considering it's an extra 3 Atk that ignores Defense field buffs, it's also the only copy of the skill I own, and I can't exactly hope to +10 Roy one day (in fact I have no plans to, considering he is a seasonal unit).
 I don't prefer one unit over the other, IMO they're both great powerhouses, so it'd be a strict matter of who I think would benefit from additional strength.

So... opinions?

I have a bias towards ranged units, so I would say LA!Roy. Lull Atk/Def helps him with activating Heavy Blade-Moonbow too.

What should I make Moredecais A slot skill? Steady stance 4? Steady breath? Or Fierce Stance 3?

Is there a better option then these 3? I have a lot of fodder ATM so say any skill and I may have it!

Edited by Zihark11

3 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

What should I make Moredecais A slot skill? Steady stance 4? Steady breath? Or Fierce Stance 3?

Assuming he is a support unit, I lean towards Fury, Life and Death, or a Fortress skill to draw Chills and Shrines away from the units he is supporting.

If you are using Mordecai as a combat unit, I personally lean toward Steady Stance or Steady Breath. Stance is the more defensive option while Breath is more offensive. Fierce Stance is kind of weak in my opinion since Steady Breath can do more damage with a higher cooldown Special and it boosts your Def too. It is slightly cheaper in terms of being on more units, but it is still a 5* exclusive skill.

3 hours ago, Yukiko said:

Which boon is better for Zelgius between Def and Res? 

Assuming he is used as a super tank, I lean towards Res. With 2 Eirs, they can pump it up to 34 if he is neutral and at merge +0. Skills, Summoner Support, buffs, etc. can take that to 50+.

If he is not used as a super tank, then I would go with +Def. Gronnblade mages in Desperation range and Lewyn can blow him away unless you stack his Res like crazy, so I do not think it is worth beefing up his Res at the cost of sacrificing his performance in other areas.

I pulled another Caineghis to fix my +Res -Atk one, and lo and behold, the second copy was +Atk. Should the +Atk be saved or should I use the +Res one? I used him as my super tank in AR so I'm leaning more towards res to help survive Ophelias but I'm open to other ideas.

18 hours ago, XRay said:

Assuming he is used as a super tank, I lean towards Res. With 2 Eirs, they can pump it up to 34 if he is neutral and at merge +0. Skills, Summoner Support, buffs, etc. can take that to 50+.

If he is not used as a super tank, then I would go with +Def. Gronnblade mages in Desperation range and Lewyn can blow him away unless you stack his Res like crazy, so I do not think it is worth beefing up his Res at the cost of sacrificing his performance in other areas.

Ok, thank you!

4 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I pulled another Caineghis to fix my +Res -Atk one, and lo and behold, the second copy was +Atk. Should the +Atk be saved or should I use the +Res one? I used him as my super tank in AR so I'm leaning more towards res to help survive Ophelias but I'm open to other ideas.

I lean towards Res. Although if you do not face Blazing mages often enough, +Atk might be better for killing things since you are already taking minimal damage anyways against most other foes as a super tank. As a super tank, other than enemies with Effective Weapons, the only other enemies really threatening you are Blazing mages since they are the only enemies who can bypass in combat buffs with their Blazing hit, so if you do not see them often or if you already have a Galeforce teams to deal with them, Caineghis might not need the Res buff.

7 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I have a +2 one, and +res is better in my opinion. I resort to QR seal since even a + atk would often miss out on kills with fierce stance. +Atk is probably better at +10/5 or so.

4 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

I resort to QR seal since even a + atk would often miss out on kills with fierce stance. +Atk is probably better at +10/5 or so.

Can I ask why this is? Caineghis comes with Vengeful Fighter by default, and that's more or less an Armor-exclusive upgrade of Quick Riposte.

22 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Can I ask why this is? Caineghis comes with Vengeful Fighter by default, and that's more or less an Armor-exclusive upgrade of Quick Riposte.

Special fighter denies cooldown charging on the enemy, which mine has. 

10 hours ago, XRay said:

I lean towards Res. Although if you do not face Blazing mages often enough, +Atk might be better for killing things since you are already taking minimal damage anyways against most other foes as a super tank. As a super tank, other than enemies with Effective Weapons, the only other enemies really threatening you are Blazing mages since they are the only enemies who can bypass in combat buffs with their Blazing hit, so if you do not see them often or if you already have a Galeforce teams to deal with them, Caineghis might not need the Res buff.

8 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

I have a +2 one, and +res is better in my opinion. I resort to QR seal since even a + atk would often miss out on kills with fierce stance. +Atk is probably better at +10/5 or so.

Thanks for the advice. I went with +Res. Every point might count vs Blazing mages.

Today I'm getting my last merge on W!Cecilia. Now I'm looking for the next merge project. With Cecilia and Aversa finished, I don't have an obvious choice.

Just saw in my barracks that most of my Galeforce units are Red (Caeda, Eliwood, Elincia, B!Roy and Cordelia). I'm also considering giving it to my B!Eliwood but haven't done it yet. Could also pass it to Est, who is +10 and Cherche, who is on her way to +10. 
Looking on Grail units that can use Galeforce well, there's Linus, Naesala and Panne. Linus is kinda similar to Raven and I already have copies of him enough for a +10, just need the feathers to build him. Naesala and Panne have good move tipes for the skill and I consider Naesala the better unit overall, but Panne has that effective damage that can come in handy sometimes.

Aside from Galeforcers, I could consider good units all around, since I already have good tank units for both Astra and Light but need more balanced units and support units (my W!Cecilia is paired with M!Corrin on support and B!Ike is paired with B!Lucina on support).

Who would you guys advice me on spending Grails?

7 hours ago, Rinco said:

Looking on Grail units that can use Galeforce well, there's Linus, Naesala and Panne. Linus is kinda similar to Raven and I already have copies of him enough for a +10, just need the feathers to build him. Naesala and Panne have good move tipes for the skill and I consider Naesala the better unit overall, but Panne has that effective damage that can come in handy sometimes.

I lean towards Naesala. Panne's effective damage may be detrimental to a Galeforce build since it could kill things in one hit, which causes Galeforce to fail to activate without enough charges. My Cordelia oftentimes run into that problem where she could not Galeforce because she killed something in one shot.

10 hours ago, XRay said:

I lean towards Naesala. Panne's effective damage may be detrimental to a Galeforce build since it could kill things in one hit, which causes Galeforce to fail to activate without enough charges. My Cordelia oftentimes run into that problem where she could not Galeforce because she killed something in one shot.

Yeah, that makes sense. 
Any other unit worth investing Grails on?