"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

5 hours ago, XRay said:

I mean, having a Dancer/Singer in itself is not bad, but I feel that the opportunity cost to bringing one is losing out on stats. Peony does offer a total of 15 stats, which is not very far off of M!Corrin's 16, but it is 5 of that is in HP which I feel is not that great, and 6 of those stats in Atk/Spd requires a stricter requirement in terms of placement which makes it a little more clunky.

I get it, even though I don't entirely agree that it's a risky trade-off, if only because there are way too many situations that call for throwing your super tank right into the enemy line:

• Pulse party, but you can kill or weaken one of their key Pulse activation units on your turn 1
  • Dancers, particularly if multiple are spread out preventing Bridal Fjorm (if you have her) from making them a non-issue
  • Likewise with the dancers, Legendary Lucina
  • Traps, Wings of Mercy, etc preventing anyone else from getting near your tank safely
  • Other elements that prevent an entirely enemy phase strategy, such as Firesweep foes when you can't/don't have Null C-Disrupt

Sometimes these strategies absolutely require a dancer, and a Corrin who can't get close might as well be just about any other unit

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Johann said:

Pulse party, but you can kill or weaken one of their key Pulse activation units on your turn 1

A strong enough super tank doesn't care about the opponent activating Specials, and bringing more buffs is how you make your super tank that strong.

1 hour ago, Johann said:
  • Dancers, particularly if multiple are spread out preventing Bridal Fjorm (if you have her) from making them a non-issue
  • Likewise with the dancers, Legendary Lucina
  • Traps, Wings of Mercy, etc preventing anyone else from getting near your tank safely

Again, if your super tank is strong enough, it doesn't matter how many enemies attack you because they cannot kill you. Most maps that I've run into have enough structures on them that you can force the enemy to funnel into your tank and prevent them from going around.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

Other elements that prevent an entirely enemy phase strategy, such as Firesweep foes when you can't/don't have Null C-Disrupt

I have yet to run into a map with more than 2 units running counterattack disruption, and the only time they are actually an issue are when the map is designed so that there are traps preventing you from moving forward to attack them.

In the specific case of Peony, though, because this is going to be Light season, the alternative to Peony is Eir, who is perfectly capable of initiating attack against staff users (Mystic Boost nullifies Wrathful Staff) and Firesweepers (who cannot counterattack) from a distance.

So, question with an odd caveat...

I've been running Caineghis as my tank in light season, and it's the best luck I've had in AR overall. I'd like to improve it if possible, since I know he's not the best he can be. So I'd like to improve my strategy, with a caveat- I only want to spend a ton of resources on Tellius units. So, if the unit is cheap to build up to be useful, great! But it would take quite a bit to convince me to throw a ton of resources into a non-Tellius unit.

A typical team:

• Eir+1: Draw Back, Iceberg, Swift Sparrow, WofM, Sparkling, Res Tactic
  • Eir+1: Reposition, Iceberg, SS, Mystic Boost, Sparkling, Def Tactic
  • Leanne+1 (support with Caineghis): Moonbow, Mirror Stance, WofM, Hone Beasts, Atk Ploy (probably should be a spur or drive)
  • Caineghis+7 (+Res): Pivot, Aether, Distant Def 4, VF, Distant Guard 3, Distant Def 3
  • Bonus, if reasonable

I do have Peony, but her SPD wouldn't be as helpful to Caineghis as Eir's Res. Leanne is my biggest concern- she provides Hone Beasts, yes, but I don't actually use her dance very often. There might be a better choice.

I'm also concerned about relying so heavily on visible boosts. But my issue with spurs is I can't have Eirs next to Caineghis, because otherwise he can't transform. That also factors into his support partner choice as well- he can't start the turn next to a non-dragon/non-beast.

So... any ideas?

Edited by Venmi

Is Lull Atk/ Spd any good? It always seems like the best Lull skills are the ones that debuff one offensive stat (Atk, Spd) and one defensive stat (Def, Res). I got pitybroken by Perceval a while back and wondering what I can fodder him off for.

Thanks in advance!

36 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Is Lull Atk/ Spd any good? It always seems like the best Lull skills are the ones that debuff one offensive stat (Atk, Spd) and one defensive stat (Def, Res). I got pitybroken by Perceval a while back and wondering what I can fodder him off for.

Thanks in advance!

Lull Atk/Spd is the best Lull skill for fast tanks, like Sothis and Perceval himself.

1 hour ago, Venmi said:

So I'd like to improve my strategy, with a caveat- I only want to spend a ton of resources on Tellius units. So, if the unit is cheap to build up to be useful, great! But it would take quite a bit to convince me to throw a ton of resources into a non-Tellius unit.

M!Corrin and Aversa are pretty cheap in my opinion as supports. M!Corrin does need Divine Dew, but unless you are a new player or you keep spending it frivolously, most veteran players should be swimming in Refining Stones and Divine Dew. Aversa is expensive in terms of Grails, but she should still be useful with low merges. BH!Lucina and Kaden are not cheap to get, but they are pretty cheap to build.

Mandatory skills are in bold underlined red. Everything else is optional.

M!Corrin Build #1
+Spd
Yato [special]
Reposition
Moonbow
Life and Death
(Any Chill)
(Any Drive) — Distant Guard — Close Guard
(Any Drive)
— Distant Guard — Close Guard

M!Corrin Build #2
+Res
Yato [special]
Reposition
Moonbow
Fort Def/Res
(Any Sabotage)
(Any Drive)

Aversa
Aversa's Night
Reposition
Moonbow
HP+5 — HP/Res
(Any Chill) — (Any Sabotage)
(Any C) — (Any Ploy)
HP+5 — HP/Res

BH!Lucina
+Spd
Geirskögul [special]
Reposition
Moonbow
Life and Death
(Any Chill)
(Any Drive)

Kaden
+Spd
Kitsune Fang
Reposition
Moonbow
Life and Death
(Any Link)
(Any Drive)
With Kaden, your want the other stat buffer/debuffer running the opposite Link skills, so if your Kaden has Spd/Res Link, you want the other support unit to run Atk/Def Link.

Eir
+Res
Temari — (Any Refinable Weapon)
Res Refinement
Reposition
Moonbow
Fort Def/Res
(Any Sabotage) — (Any Chill)
Sparking Boost
Fortress Res

1 hour ago, Venmi said:

I do have Peony, but her SPD wouldn't be as helpful to Caineghis as Eir's Res.

Spd is necessary if you need Caineghis to tank Alm: Saint King and Celica: Queen of Valentia. Those two hit extremely hard if you allow them to double and will quickly bring your tank's HP down to dangerously low levels where nukes that can only deal single digit damage becomes dangerous due to your tank's HP being so low.

1 hour ago, Venmi said:

Leanne is my biggest concern- she provides Hone Beasts, yes, but I don't actually use her dance very often. There might be a better choice.

I'm also concerned about relying so heavily on visible boosts. But my issue with spurs is I can't have Eirs next to Caineghis, because otherwise he can't transform. That also factors into his support partner choice as well- he can't start the turn next to a non-dragon/non-beast.

So... any ideas?

I personally do not think bonus buffs are worth the hassle in my opinion. In my experience the danger from Panic mostly comes from Panic staff users. Panic Manors (D) are usually easy to snipe or easy to avoid, very few are hard to snipe and hard to avoid at the same time. Sudden Panic and Aversa are not really an issue in my opinion since your super tank will usually have a higher HP than them.

An alternative to buffing your supertank is to debuff the enemy. Buffing and debuffing are basically the same thing in terms of giving your super tank a massive stat advantage.

If you have other teams capable of dealing with SK!Alm and QOV!Celica, you can run something like 3 Eirs, 1 Aversa, and 1 Caineghis so you can just double down on Caineghis's bulk. Fort Def/Res and Sabotage skills are rare, but I do not think there any other units more worthy of those skills than Eir and the support units I mentioned above; while these support units can function without those rare skills, it really makes them help Caineghis shine in my opinion if you get lucky to summon those skills.

58 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Thanks in advance!

It depends on the unit.

Lull Atk/Spd:
This is best on a super tank or a Spd tank. Lull Atk portion increases both bulk while Lull Spd portion helps prevent the unit from being doubled.

Lull Atk/Def and Lull Atk/Res
This is useful for slow Brave nukes who are dependent on Heavy Blade Sacred Seal to spam Moonbows. This is also useful for slow Def tanks or Res tanks to increase both their bulk and increase their damage output.

Lull Spd/Def and Lull Spd/Res
This is best for Firesweep nukes and nukes with Desperation on their Weapon. Slow Brave nukes can also use this if they are not dependent on Heavy Blade Sacred Seal to give them a chance to quad really slow units.

Lull Def/Res
This is the worst Lull skill in my opinion since half the skill is useless. Slow Brave nukes can obviously still use this skill pretty well, but it does not help them activate Heavy Blade and it does not give them a slight chance to quad. The only one I can think of who really wants this skill over others is F!Kana and that is pretty much it I think.

Edited by XRay

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

An alternative to buffing your supertank is to debuff the enemy. Buffing and debuffing are basically the same thing in terms of giving your super tank a massive stat advantage.

Debuffing (non in combat debuffs) is even less reliable in AR then visible buffs due to Rally Traps, Restore Traps and Dancers for a Super tank. The most reliable is Spurs with a high base stat

17 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Debuffing (non in combat debuffs) is even less reliable in AR then visible buffs due to Rally Traps, Restore Traps and Dancers for a Super tank. The most reliable is Spurs with a high base stat

Drives are fine, but Spurs will get the support unit killed. While Restore Traps and Dancers/Singers are a thing, that only fixes one or two units on the defense team and most of the defense team will still be debuffed. Debuffers also have the benefit of working literally anywhere on the map, so you can have them sit in a corner or go after pots instead of being near the super tank all the time. And with beast units being racist, it helps to have Beorc support units who support from afar incase you accidentally put your Beorc unit next to your beast unit.

I do not think Rally Traps counter debuffs though since the debuffs should still be on there, they just balance out.

Edited by XRay

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

Drives are fine, but Spurs will get the support unit killed. While Restore Traps and Dancers/Singers are a thing, that only fixes one or two units on the defense team and most of the defense team will still be debuffed. Debuffers also have the benefit of working literally anywhere on the map, so you can have them sit in a corner or go after pots instead of being near the super tank all the time. And with beast units being racist, it helps to have Beorc support units who support from afar incase you accidentally put your Beorc unit next to your beast unit.

I do not think Rally Traps counter debuffs though since the debuffs should still be on there, they just balance out.

Drives/Spur is the same to me (Drives are preferable just for avoiding Aversa or getting hit). Rally Traps counter debuffs directly. Like basicly almost every Infantry Pulse Team has a Rally Trap. The powerfull unit Rallys the baited unit (and thus it looses all debuffs) gets danced, and proceeds to nuke the living crap out of the supertank. That is the whole point of a Rally trap.

Obviously the Rallied unit is still debuffed, but thats not the point of a Rally trap.

Restore Traps are a little bit different. Because if you hit multiple enemies with debuffs, you dont know who will get Restored on Turn 1. They are usually used to enhance the reach of a Cav Healer immensely and can mess your Team up in combination with stuff like Ground Order expanding the reach of other units greatly in combination with Dancers.

This makes placement (depending on the map) rather difficult because you dont want a unit to get suddenly sniped by a Cav Healer or by a unit that expands its range with Ground Order followed by a Dance.

If I am not mistaken @Johann Defense map has a working Restore trap. Although i have seen Restore traps that are far more disgusting then his.

9 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Drives/Spur is the same to me (Drives are preferable just for avoiding Aversa or getting hit). Rally Traps counter debuffs directly. Like basicly almost every Infantry Pulse Team has a Rally Trap. The powerfull unit Rallys the baited unit (and thus it looses all debuffs) gets danced, and proceeds to nuke the living crap out of the supertank. That is the whole point of a Rally trap.

Obviously the Rallied unit is still debuffed, but thats not the point of a Rally trap.

If the player is running Aversa like I recommended, would not Rallies just make their debuffs worse? Rallies only become threatening if the AI manages to Rally and Dance/Sing the unit correctly to get rid of the debuffs and keep the buffs.

9 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Restore Traps are a little bit different. Because if you hit multiple enemies with debuffs, you dont know who will get Restored on Turn 1. They are usually used to enhance the reach of a Cav Healer immensely and can mess your Team up in combination with stuff like Ground Order expanding the reach of other units greatly in combination with Dancers.

This makes placement (depending on the map) rather difficult because you dont want a unit to get suddenly sniped by a Cav Healer or by a unit that expands its range with Ground Order followed by a Dance.

Firesweepers are the least of a supertank's concern though. They just do not deal enough damage to be a real threat, and as long as you are simply walling them instead of trying to kill them, they do not really do anything. And the beauty of debuffers is that they can be far away from the front lines so being sniped or flanked is not really an issue they worry about.

Edited by XRay

25 minutes ago, XRay said:

If the player is running Aversa like I recommended, would not Rallies just make their debuffs worse? Rallies only become threatening if the AI manages to Rally and Dance/Sing the unit correctly to get rid of the debuffs and keep the buffs.

Firesweepers are the least of a supertank's concern though. They just do not deal enough damage to be a real threat, and as long as you are simply walling them instead of trying to kill them, they do not really do anything. And the beauty of debuffers is that they can be far away from the front lines so being sniped or flanked is not really an issue they worry about.

Rallys and Dances have an order and they allways follow the same order. Someone who creates a Rally trap understands that and thus you also have to bait correctly. Obviously they will use a Rally like Rally Res that doesnt hurt the rallied unit much.

Restore Traps: that depends entirely on the design of the map and a Restore Trap Cav Healer might find an opening on a non support unit you are running with your tank you cant wall of the entire map with your super tank. Besides as I said the sole point of a Restore trap is not alone the healer, but also the extension of reach of the other units in combination with ground orders/Rally and 1-2 Dancers. What makes Restore traps more tricky is that you dont know their Restore priority until after Turn 1 IF all of their units get debuffed.
My Veronica runs 60 atk without any Seal/Buff or Blessing buffs, just with an A-Slot and merges. So unless you have some form of support on your super tank they will most likely take a significant hit from the healer or the support unit might get sniped and then there is still Panic staves... on top of that.

You are also not accounting for the Miracle that is starting to go down with every turn you dont bait on a Restore Trap which can open up even a greater can of worms.

38 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Rallys and Dances have an order and they allways follow the same order. Someone who creates a Rally trap understands that and thus you also have to bait correctly. Obviously they will use a Rally like Rally Res that doesnt hurt the rallied unit much.

If the team is only using Rally Res, then the Rally Trap is not really do anything useful. That would just be Dancers/Singers undoing the debuff.

Restore Traps: that depends entirely on the design of the map and a Restore Trap Cav Healer might find an opening on a non support unit you are running with your tank you cant wall of the entire map with your super tank. Besides as I said the sole point of a Restore trap is not alone the healer, but also the extension of reach of the other units in combination with ground orders/Rally and 1-2 Dancers. What makes Restore traps more tricky is that you dont know their Restore priority until after Turn 1 IF all of their units get debuffed.

The only map that comes to mind where you cannot completely wall off consistently is with cav line.

While having a Restore healer will undo debuffs on one unit, they cannot do debuffs on all units, and a super tank should be able to handle one undebuffed nuke just fine. The AI does not know to withhold debuffed units back and only send in the undebuffed nuke to attack.

My Veronica runs 60 atk without any Seal/Buff or Blessing buffs, just with an A-Slot and merges. So unless you have some form of support on your super tank they will most likely take a significant hit from the healer or the support unit might get sniped and then there is still Panic staves... on top of that. S

60 Atk is really low against super tanks. Most super tanks reach over 70 HP and can be buffed to at least 50 Def/Res, so 60 Atk is not really that threatening. Caineghis +Res +1 with Distant Def Sacred Seal got 61 Res, so he will be taking minimal damage.

You are also not accounting for the Miracle that is starting to go down with every turn you dont bait on a Restore Trap which can open up even a greater can of worms.

If the supertank is not taking much damage, there is no rush to kill a Firesweep unit that is not doing much.

Edited by XRay

6 hours ago, XRay said:

If the team is only using Rally Res, then the Rally Trap is not really do anything useful. That would just be Dancers/Singers undoing the debuff.

The only map that comes to mind where you cannot completely wall off consistently is with cav line.

While having a Restore healer will undo debuffs on one unit, they cannot do debuffs on all units, and a super tank should be able to handle one undebuffed nuke just fine. The AI does not know to withhold debuffed units back and only send in the undebuffed nuke to attack.

60 Atk is really low against super tanks. Most super tanks reach over 70 HP and can be buffed to at least 50 Def/Res, so 60 Atk is not really that threatening. Caineghis +Res +1 with Distant Def Sacred Seal got 61 Res, so he will be taking minimal damage.

If the supertank is not taking much damage, there is no rush to kill a Firesweep unit that is not doing much.

you are missing the entire point

5 hours ago, Hilda said:

you are missing the entire point

I am not sure what the point is. The super tank should generally have no issue tanking one undebuffed nuke. Assuming the defense team does not have SK!Alm or QOV!Celica, you just put Cainheghis in front of as many nukes as possible. Dancers/Singers cannot undebuff everyone.

23 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

A strong enough super tank doesn't care about the opponent activating Specials, and bringing more buffs is how you make your super tank that strong.

Again, if your super tank is strong enough, it doesn't matter how many enemies attack you because they cannot kill you. Most maps that I've run into have enough structures on them that you can force the enemy to funnel into your tank and prevent them from going around.

I have yet to run into a map with more than 2 units running counterattack disruption, and the only time they are actually an issue are when the map is designed so that there are traps preventing you from moving forward to attack them.

In the specific case of Peony, though, because this is going to be Light season, the alternative to Peony is Eir, who is perfectly capable of initiating attack against staff users (Mystic Boost nullifies Wrathful Staff) and Firesweepers (who cannot counterattack) from a distance.

What an unhelpful post. Come on dude, you know there's no unit in the game that can tank every threat, everybody has a weakness. There's also a serious risk involved with not killing a unit as well, which some of the most dangerous builds make impossible for enemy phase. The point of bringing up dancers is that people shouldn't write off extra strategic options, especially when they don't have access to premium skills or other high investment options.

21 hours ago, Hilda said:

If I am not mistaken @Johann Defense map has a working Restore trap. Although i have seen Restore traps that are far more disgusting then his.

Yeah, it's my preferred Def setup. It doesn't work as well without schools/shrines though, and I don't feel a need to invest heavily in it when I've already got 2 Dumas and 2 Sothises. It still gets a consistent kill or two and that is good enough for me.

@XRay the big thing is that Restore/Rally traps are designed to catch people off guard and go around the supertanks. It's why I love using Takumi in Light season, since everyone has Eir and/or Peony, so with a good setup, you can limit their placement options and pick them off.

Another benefit to giving units Rallies is that, if they can't deal enough damage, they'll instead jump around Rallying people, wasting time for a player who is expecting they'll charge in. Between that and Restore charging Miracle, I end up with plenty of Def wins where super safe enemy builds time out.

@XRay - thanks for the support advice! I've actually summoned a couple of Kaden's (and a couple of Lucina's, but I think I might save her for another team... still need to build a good tank team for Astra). I think I'll take a closer look at him, and if not him, male Corrin. My Aversa currently has an Astra blessing, so I'll keep her there for now. But Kaden is likely a good choice for my purposes.

Also, I'm not sure I can push Caineghis's speed up high enough to keep someone like Alm from doubling him. That's why I tend to worry when I come across Alm teams... I probably need someone else to deal with him.

13 minutes ago, Johann said:

@XRay the big thing is that Restore/Rally traps are designed to catch people off guard and go around the supertanks. It's why I love using Takumi in Light season, since everyone has Eir and/or Peony, so with a good setup, you can limit their placement options and pick them off.

That is why I mentioned debuffers as an alternative. You do not have to worry about enemies flanking your super tank if there is nothing behind it, and the debuffers are all the way on the other side of the map hiding in a corner.

To threaten the whole offensive team, you need something like a cav line setup so that they have nowhere to hide.

And specifically for Caineghis, even if the defense team nukes gets Rallied and Danced/Sung to correctly, Caineghis will still shut down their buffs via Distant Def 4. As long as the defense team is not running SK!Alm and QOV!Celica, Caineghis should have little trouble tanking a ranged defense team.

39 minutes ago, Johann said:

Another benefit to giving units Rallies is that, if they can't deal enough damage, they'll instead jump around Rallying people, wasting time for a player who is expecting they'll charge in. Between that and Restore charging Miracle, I end up with plenty of Def wins where super safe enemy builds time out.

I guess that is true, especially with an armor unit like Caineghis with low movement.

29 minutes ago, Venmi said:

Also, I'm not sure I can push Caineghis's speed up high enough to keep someone like Alm from doubling him. That's why I tend to worry when I come across Alm teams... I probably need someone else to deal with him.

Yeah, I would just run someone else. Caineghis has his limits on what he can and cannot tank.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

What an unhelpful post. Come on dude, you know there's no unit in the game that can tank every threat, everybody has a weakness. There's also a serious risk involved with not killing a unit as well, which some of the most dangerous builds make impossible for enemy phase.

The best tanks in the game can reach 80+ Def and Res while also nullifying enemy Atk buffs, which is capable of tanking virtually everything the game can throw at you outside of extremely dedicated counters. I know full well what the limits to super tanking are, and they are higher than you think.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

That is why I mentioned debuffers as an alternative. You do not have to worry about enemies flanking your super tank if there is nothing behind it, and the debuffers are all the way on the other side of the map hiding in a corner.

To threaten the whole offensive team, you need something like a cav line setup so that they have nowhere to hide.

And specifically for Caineghis, even if the defense team nukes gets Rallied and Danced/Sung to correctly, Caineghis will still shut down their buffs via Distant Def 4. As long as the defense team is not running SK!Alm and QOV!Celica, Caineghis should have little trouble tanking a ranged defense team.

I guess that is true, especially with an armor unit like Caineghis with low movement.

Yeah, I would just run someone else. Caineghis has his limits on what he can and cannot tank.

Yes, though of course, debuffing is what makes Restore maps work, after all (well, unless you have Bridal Fjorm). For what it's worth, I think Aversa and Bridal Fjorm are two of the best units in AR because of how reliable and effective and easy to use they are (and I'm a Hrid fan so it works great). AR also arguably favors fliers over other types for the most part due to terrain issues, so it's easy to provide extra support, whether through Goads, etc, or Tactics if your primary units aren't flying.

Threatening the entire offensive team is great if you can do that, but there's enough value in simply making spaces seem safer than they are. That's what makes the Restore and Rally traps work; many players don't understand the AI sequence, and a clever Def map makes the best supertank locations require putting support units in those seemingly safe spaces. Most of my AR def kills are Eirs, Peonys, Azuras, Aversas, Corrins, etc. Side note that Alm and Celica are a mixed bag for Rally use since they will always attack if they have a target in range.

Funny enough, my first def match this week (a full win) included a super buffed Caineghis, who got absolutely wrecked by Black Luna. As you can imagine, I'm not a fan of armors for AR offense, but then my armor units are largely underdeveloped.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

The best tanks in the game can reach 80+ Def and Res while also nullifying enemy Atk buffs, which is capable of tanking virtually everything the game can throw at you outside of extremely dedicated counters. I know full well what the limits to super tanking are, and they are higher than you think.

Do I have to repeat myself? Well, since you decided to leave it out when you quoted me: The whole point is about not dismissing alternate options. Most players are not in a position to build an 80+ Def/Res unit and need to consider different ways to approach threats. Save your self-aggrandizing replies for someone else.

6 minutes ago, Johann said:

Do I have to repeat myself? Well, since you decided to leave it out when you quoted me: The whole point is about not dismissing alternate options. Most players are not in a position to build an 80+ Def/Res unit and need to consider different ways to approach threats. Save your self-aggrandizing replies for someone else.

You're the one missing the point. A super tank is called "super" for a reason. Using a normal tank is not the same as using a super tank, and the strategies you use with each are different because normal tanks have to have contingency plans for the threats that they cannot deal with. Super tanks are super because they do not need these contingency plans outside of extraordinary cases. If the strategies and alternate options you are suggesting are for use with a normal tank, then don't say that they are for use with a super tank.

Even if you do not have the resources to reach 80+ Def and Res, it's still more than feasible to hit ~70 by simply prioritizing your resources towards such a build. Double Corrin is not prohibitively expensive, so all it comes down to is pulling a single copy of one of the several low-investment super tank options.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:59 AM, Ice Dragon said:

You're the one missing the point. A super tank is called "super" for a reason. Using a normal tank is not the same as using a super tank, and the strategies you use with each are different because normal tanks have to have contingency plans for the threats that they cannot deal with. Super tanks are super because they do not need these contingency plans outside of extraordinary cases. If the strategies and alternate options you are suggesting are for use with a normal tank, then don't say that they are for use with a super tank.

Even if you do not have the resources to reach 80+ Def and Res, it's still more than feasible to hit ~70 by simply prioritizing your resources towards such a build. Double Corrin is not prohibitively expensive, so all it comes down to is pulling a single copy of one of the several low-investment super tank options.

What are some units that can be potent super tanks? I don't really understand how can 70+ def/Res is possible, the best I have is 52 with Fallen Corrin and Sothis. 

Also, talking about Sothis, this is her current build. 

Spoiler

Is this build good? For General content with L.Eliwood she becomes a monster, but in AR defense I am not sure. As I do not have proper buffs. What are some ways to improve her? Also what are some units other than L.Eliwood and Azura that can give her buffs properly (both are legendaries so they can't be run always).

Edited by SuperNova125

41 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

I don't really understand how can 70+ def/Res is possible

You use stat buffers/debuffers.

Getting a super tank to 80+ Def/Res is pretty feasible (assuming no budget limitations). If budget is a concern, 70+ Def/Res should still be very doable.

Budget Build:
Nowi has a total of 52 Def/Res on her build, and Atk Smoke will indirectly add Def/Res +7.
2 M!Corrins provide Def/Res +15.
52+7+15=74 Def/Res

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Nowi (5*+10 +def -spd)  
Weapon: Lightning Breath+  
Special: Luna  
A: Steady Breath  
B: Lull Atk Spd 3  
C: Atk Smoke 3  
S: Steady Posture 2  
Upgrade Path: 4  

Corrin(M) (5*)  
Weapon: Yato  
C: Drive Res 2  
S: Drive Def 2  
Upgrade Path: 5  

Corrin(M) (5*)  
C: Drive Def 2  
S: Drive Res 2  

Eir (5*)  
Weapon: Lyfjaberg  
Special: Iceberg  
A: Swift Sparrow 2  
B: Mystic Boost 3  
C: Sparkling Boost  

Eir (5*)  
Weapon: Lyfjaberg  
Special: Iceberg  
A: Swift Sparrow 2  
B: Mystic Boost 3  
Upgrade Path: 3  

Premium Build:
Nowi has a visible Def/Res of 45, Water Breath and Lull Atk/Spd takes that up to 52 Def/Res, with Distant Def providing an additional Def/Res +6.
Melee Def/Res = 52; Ranged Def/Res = 58
2 M!Corrins, one with Drive Def and Drive Res and the other with Distant Guard and Close Guard, provides Def/Res+16.
Melee Def/Res = 68; Ranged Def/Res = 74
Eir with Sabotage Atk will indirectly give an additional Def/Res+7.
Melee Def/Res = 75; Ranged Def/Res = 81

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Nowi (5*+10 +def -spd)  
Weapon: Water Breath+  
Special: Sol  
A: Distant Counter  
B: Lull Atk Spd 3  
C: Pulse Smoke 3  
S: Distant Def 3  

Corrin(M) (5*+10 +res -atk)  
Special: Moonbow  
A: Fort Def Res 3  
B: Sabotage Spd 3  
C: Close Guard 3  
S: Distant Guard 3  

Corrin(M) (5*+10 +spd -atk)  
A: Life and Death 4  
B: Chill Spd 3  
C: Drive Def 2  
S: Drive Res 2  

Eir (5*+10 +res -atk)  
Weapon: Splashy Bucket+  
A: Fort Def Res 3  
B: Sabotage Atk 3  
S: Fortress Res 3  

Eir (5*+10 +atk -hp)  
Weapon: Sky Maiougi+  
A: Sturdy Impact  
B: Chill Res 3  
S: Chill Atk 3  

The hard part is dealing with SK!Alm and QOV!Celica who shit on your bulk. To counter them, you basically need to divert a lot of points away from Def/Res into Spd.

1 hour ago, SuperNova125 said:

Is this build good? For General content with L.Eliwood she becomes a monster, but in AR defense I am not sure. As I do not have proper buffs. What are some ways to improve her? Also what are some units other than L.Eliwood and Azura that can give her buffs properly (both are legendaries so they can't be run always).

For Aether Raids, bonus buffs are not good in my opinion. Panic staff will ruin your day, and they are not uncommon. I recommend supporting you super tank via Drives and/or debuffs. Drives are the simplest and cheapest to work with since all you really need are just 2 M!Corrins, some Drive fodder, and some Divine Dew.

On 1/17/2020 at 4:27 PM, XRay said:

I personally do not think bonus buffs are worth the hassle in my opinion. In my experience the danger from Panic mostly comes from Panic staff users. Panic Manors (D) are usually easy to snipe or easy to avoid, very few are hard to snipe and hard to avoid at the same time. Sudden Panic and Aversa are not really an issue in my opinion since your super tank will usually have a higher HP than them.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:59 PM, Ice Dragon said:

Dude, would it kill you to listen to what people are saying? Nobody's disputing the theoretical limits of super tanks. We had been talking about the merits of keeping a diverse set of offensive options open.

Got a +res -hp Hubert in the Chill skills banner. I’m not sure if I should build him or just fodder him for Infantry Hexblade, which I’ve heard is a decent skill for some mages. 
Thanks!

2 hours ago, Karuu30 said:

Got a +res -hp Hubert in the Chill skills banner. I’m not sure if I should build him or just fodder him for Infantry Hexblade, which I’ve heard is a decent skill for some mages. 
Thanks!

Infantry Hexblade is honestly not worth it unless you're already comfortable with using adjacent positioning buffs and you're using the unit in a game mode that isn't Aether Raids.

I'd say that Hubert is still worth building since he has the highest Atk of all red tomes without also dumping his Spd (like Kiria did), though if you already have Lilina or Tharja built, you don't have to prioritize him too much.