"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

4 hours ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

I can get my hands on Guard, but not Attack Smoke (without sacrificing my build of the Flame Emperor). Further, any alternatives that could be used instead of Attack Smoke? 

I recommend waiting for Atk Smoke. You can always use Res Smoke in the meantime as @TheSilentChloey suggests in the meantime.

2 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

What I do recommend is to run her native Res Smoke (which is conveniently glossed over by @XRay) as it will help her secure more kills, though since Suzukaze is in the 3-4 star pool getting him shouldn't be too difficult.

Also do not run lightning breath.  It slows down her specials far too much thb and not worth the refine, even if she gets boosted stats, you're better off using dragonflowers and having more reliable specials (e.g 2 cooldown for Moonbow for example with Expiration vs 3 cooldown with Lightning Breath just not worth it) than having the extra hastle of trying to get her to have specials happening in every round of combat.  I should know since I actually use Female Grima a lot and her male counterpart even more so and the two couldn't be more different aside from their weapons of choice.

Generally speaking, I agree that you do want to activate a Special during every round combat. However, in my opinion, a super tank needs to hold the line more than they need to secure kills, since the supertank will need to go through multiple rounds of combat. If a super tank falls, the rest of the team falls with it. In the case of Spd super tanks with double M!Corrins, not much can get past them outside of Blazing nukes. Killing enemies is important too, but with enough stat stacking and the ability to target the lower of Def/Res against ranged units, flying dragons can more easily forego not activating a Special during every round of combat. And with double M!Corrins with all Drives, that is Atk/Spd/Def/Res+12. An extra 12 damage per hit is more than enough to offset not activating Moonbow during every round of combat.

If Robin: Fell Vessel is not being used as a supertank, then Expiration and Moonbow is good, as long as she is not facing multiple rounds of combat per turn. I would still recommend Atk Smoke over Res Smoke though, as bulk is generally more important than damage output, as a Special trigger is usually enough of a boost to kill something. The less damage a tank has to heal, the easier it is on the support units.

1 hour ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

Yes, res smoke does seem quite good. I am also considering if quick riposte would be good, considering that speed penalty and I find it unlikely I will get a merge any time soon. But maybe guard is better? 

I have found that guaranteed follow-up attacks are quite good.

Super tanks of the Spd variety can rely on having enough Spd to double naturally against most units. My Sharena for example reaches 50 something Spd with the help of buffs during her bonus season.

If she is not being used as super tank, then Quick Riposte would be good. I recommend putting it on the Sacred Seal slot so you can run Guard on the B slot.

Speaking of the Flame Emperor, I am currently running them with guard axe+, swap, ignis, bracing stance 3 and quick rispote 2 and attack smoke 3. Does this work? Should I replace Ignis with something with less cooldown? I should also try to get quick ripsote 3 on them. What seal would work with this? The Flame Emperor is obviously an enemy phase unit

I was originally thinking ignis as the flame member has a ridiculous defence, so it does quite a bit of damage. 

If you are not using Vengeful Fighter, then you need to downgrade Ignis to Bonfire. You want to time your Special to activate during every round of combat if possible. In this case, you do not want to use Ignis because the Flame Emperor will not be able to trigger it during every round of combat. Frequency of activation is more important than the damage of the activation.

So what would you suggest in order to make female Grima into a better player phase unit? I need something on the b slot as they think her basic one doesn't really have any impact given being colorless and Raven mage units being rare. I also seek a way to mitigate that speed penalty or build it in a way where it doesn't matter as much.

She has the stat spread ideal for a Player Phase build. However, dragons have a lack of access to Weapons dedicated to Player Phase combat. The best Player Phase dragons have exclusive Weapons. While the Spd Flaw hampers her ability as a Player Phase unit, you can still build her that way so that she will be ready to go once she gets a merge.

+Spd
Flametongue [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
(Any A that boosts Atk/Spd)
Desperation
(Any C)
(Any Sacred Seal that boosts Atk/Spd)

I should also probably address that I use Veronice grave princess on basically every team as she is the best healer I have. I have mainly been using her with her basic skills, but is there any improvements that can be made? She is pretty much my most frequently used unit.

Her Weapon is fine as is, but you may want to consider Pain and Gravity in the future if you do not find much use for her default Weapon. I recommend sticking with her vanilla Weapon for now since I think Pain and Gravity is best given to other cavalry staff units first.

As a support unit, I recommend giving her Restore and Physic. Restore gets rid of negative status effects. Physic can heal from 2 spaces away, which is useful on certain maps. These are the two most important healing Assists in my opinion.

For her Special, I recommend giving her Miracle, Imbue, and Heavenly Light. Miracle is helpful to turn her into a temporary tank. Imbue increases the amount of healing on a single unit. Heavenly Light mass heals the team.

For her A slot, I recommend Attack +3 as the best budget option. If you are willing to spend Orbs on her, then I recommend Atk/Spd Solo or Atk/Spd Push. If you are using Atk/Spd Push, I recommend changing her Assist to Reconcile or run Renewal on her Sacred Seal slot to keep her HP up.

She should stick with Wrathful Staff.

For her C slot, I recommend adjusting it based on team composition. Once you have built up your fodder reserves, C slot skills would be pretty cheap, so I recommend giving her the full complement of:

Spoiler

Hone Atk
Hone Spd
Fortify Def
Fortify Res
Drive Atk
Drive Spd
Drive Def
Drive Res
Hone Cavalry
Fortify Cavalry
Savage Blow

On a Player Phase team, Hone Cavalry, Fortify Cavalry, and Savage Blow would be the most relevant depending on team composition.

For her Sacred Seal slot, I recommend Savage Blow or Atk/Spd. And as mentioned above, she should run Renewal if she is using Atk/Spd Push.

+Atk/Spd
Hliðskjalf — Pain — Gravity
Restore — Physic — Reconcile
Windfire Balm — Miracle — Imbue — Heavenly Light
Attack +3 — Atk/Spd Solo — Atk/Spd Push (with Renewal)
Wrathful Staff
(Any C)
Savage Blow — Atk/Spd — Renewal (with Atk/Spd Push)

1 minute ago, Steilison said:

how can people +10 a GHB unit?

You use Grails. You tap <Allies>, then tap <Use Heroic Grails>, then tap on a Grail unit that you want to summon.

Edited by XRay

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, XRay said:

I recommend waiting for Atk Smoke. You can always use Res Smoke in the meantime as @TheSilentChloey suggests in the meantime.

Generally speaking, I agree that you do want to activate a Special during every round combat. However, in my opinion, a super tank needs to hold the line more than they need to secure kills, since the supertank will need to go through multiple rounds of combat. If a super tank falls, the rest of the team falls with it. In the case of Spd super tanks with double M!Corrins, not much can get past them outside of Blazing nukes. Killing enemies is important too, but with enough stat stacking and the ability to target the lower of Def/Res against ranged units, flying dragons can more easily forego not activating a Special during every round of combat. And with double M!Corrins with all Drives, that is Atk/Spd/Def/Res+12. An extra 12 damage per hit is more than enough to offset not activating Moonbow during every round of combat.

If Robin: Fell Vessel is not being used as a supertank, then Expiration and Moonbow is good, as long as she is not facing multiple rounds of combat per turn. I would still recommend Atk Smoke over Res Smoke though, as bulk is generally more important than damage output, as a Special trigger is usually enough of a boost to kill something. The less damage a tank has to heal, the easier it is on the support units.

Super tanks of the Spd variety can rely on having enough Spd to double naturally against most units. My Sharena for example reaches 50 something Spd with the help of buffs during her bonus season.

If she is not being used as super tank, then Quick Riposte would be good. I recommend putting it on the Sacred Seal slot so you can run Guard on the B slot.

If you are not using Vengeful Fighter, then you need to downgrade Ignis to Bonfire. You want to time your Special to activate during every round of combat if possible. In this case, you do not want to use Ignis because the Flame Emperor will not be able to trigger it during every round of combat. Frequency of activation is more important than the damage of the activation.

She has the stat spread ideal for a Player Phase build. However, dragons have a lack of access to Weapons dedicated to Player Phase combat. The best Player Phase dragons have exclusive Weapons. While the Spd Flaw hampers her ability as a Player Phase unit, you can still build her that way so that she will be ready to go once she gets a merge.

+Spd
Flametongue [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)

Her Weapon is fine as is, but you may want to consider Pain and Gravity in the future if you do not find much use for her default Weapon. I recommend sticking with her vanilla Weapon for now since I think Pain and Gravity is best given to other cavalry staff units first.

As a support unit, I recommend giving her Restore and Physic. Restore gets rid of negative status effects. Physic can heal from 2 spaces away, which is useful on certain maps. These are the two most important healing Assists in my opinion.

For her Special, I recommend giving her Miracle, Imbue, and Heavenly Light. Miracle is helpful to turn her into a temporary tank. Imbue increases the amount of healing on a single unit. Heavenly Light mass heals the team.

For her A slot, I recommend Attack +3 as the best budget option. If you are willing to spend Orbs on her, then I recommend Atk/Spd Solo or Atk/Spd Push. If you are using Atk/Spd Push, I recommend changing her Assist to Reconcile or run Renewal on her Sacred Seal slot to keep her HP up.

She should stick with Wrathful Staff.

For her C slot, I recommend adjusting it based on team composition. Once you have built up your fodder reserves, C slot skills would be pretty cheap, so I recommend giving her the full complement of:

Reveal hidden contents

Hone Atk
Hone Spd
Fortify Def
Fortify Res
Drive Atk
Drive Spd
Drive Def
Drive Res
Hone Cavalry
Fortify Cavalry
Savage Blow

On a Player Phase team, Hone Cavalry, Fortify Cavalry, and Savage Blow would be the most relevant depending on team composition.

For her Sacred Seal slot, I recommend Savage Blow or Atk/Spd. And as mentioned above, she should run Renewal if she is using Atk/Spd Push.

+Atk/Spd
Hliðskjalf — Pain — Gravity
Restore — Physic — Reconcile
Windfire Balm — Miracle — Imbue — Heavenly Light
Attack +3 — Atk/Spd Solo — Atk/Spd Push (with Renewal)
Wrathful Staff
(Any C)
Savage Blow — Atk/Spd — Renewal (with Atk/Spd Push)

You use Grails. You tap <Allies>, then tap <Use Heroic Grails>, then tap on a Grail unit that you want to summon.

I do think that the supertank among my collection is definitely the Flame Emperor.

Also when it comes to Veronica, I could give her physic+. If I upgrade Lachesis to 5 star. And attack/speed solo 3 if I sacrifice Hilda (which I don't like doing, but as she does compete for the same role as Edelgard. It does mean that I am unlikely to put her on the team instead of her, so maybe?) 

So should I use guard or desperation on a Fell Vessel with moonbow? I have seen both suggested. I am assuming I should keep dragonskin?

Seems to me I need a lot more feathers in order to get the skills I want on my favourite units, even in the cases I do have the right hero. I do need to get them up to 5 star to access the highest versions of some skills. Seems to me that voting gauntlet and arena is the best way to get it, is this correct? So I guess it is only a question of time. 

Edit. It is kind of funny just how many skill points I have on Veronica

Screenshot_20200407-082858.png

Edited by Darkmoon6789

28 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

I do think that the supertank among my collection is definitely the Flame Emperor.

Also when it comes to Veronica, I could give her physic+. If I upgrade Lachesis to 5 star. And attack/speed solo 3 if I sacrifice Hilda (which I don't like doing, but as she does compete for the same role as Edelgard. It does mean that I am unlikely to put her on the team instead of her, so maybe?) 

So should I use guard or desperation on a Fell Vessel with moonbow? I have seen both suggested. I am assuming I should keep dragonskin?

Seems to me I need a lot more feathers in order to get the skills I want on my favourite units, even in the cases I do have the right hero. I do need to get them up to 5 star to access the highest versions of some skills. Seems to me that voting gauntlet and arena is the best way to get it, is this correct? So I guess it is only a question of time. 

Screenshot_20200407-082858.png

Both work, it just depends on if you're using her as a tank (which I personally do not suggest or changing her weapon, but again that is just me).

I'd recommend if she is player phase to go with desperation and guard if you're going enemy phase I'd keep Moonbow as well for both.

But it's apples to oranges in terms of her ability to tank stuff, which is why I said Male Grima is the superior tank out of the two.  He's got the bulk she doesn't, which is why I use her for mostly Player Phase.  Also why she has the build I show cased.

Does Tailtu prefer a speed or attack asset? I'm thinking of making her my next merge project but I don't know which asset to go with. If it makes a difference, I'm probably going to build her for Tome of Thoron.

36 minutes ago, Alistair said:

Does Tailtu prefer a speed or attack asset? I'm thinking of making her my next merge project but I don't know which asset to go with. If it makes a difference, I'm probably going to build her for Tome of Thoron.

Atk is better for general use. Spd is better if you need to deal with new speed creep units often.

8 hours ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

Super tank refers to a tank that uses a lot of stat buffs provided by allies in Aether Raids. A super tank team refers to a team that generally consists of 1 super tank and 3-4 dedicated support units. Super tank does not refer to a player's best tank. The distinction between a super tank and a regular tank is that a super tank handles most or all of the team's combat and can rely on a huge amount of stat manipulation to get an edge in combat.

You can use a super tank team outside of Aether Raids, but it is not as effective due to having less team slots and no bonus stats from Mythic Heroes, particularly Eir. A super tank needs at least 1 buffer, and many run 2. M!Corrin is the most common and universal buffer. BH!Lucina and Kaden are the next best options, but they have restrictions or are more difficult to use compared to M!Corrin.

Hilda and Edelgard are very different units. Edelgard is a mixed phase combat unit. Hilda is generally a Player Phase unit. I recommend keeping both.

Atk/Spd Solo is really nice to have on Arrival of the Brave Veronica, but I do not think it is necessary unless you use them competitively a lot in Aether Raids or something, and even then, I do not think it is necessary. The benefit you get out of it does not justify the cost in my opinion, at least not until you have already built up most of your other units first and have nothing else better to do. I have not given any of my staff units premium A skills unless they already come with it themselves, and the ones that do not have premium A skills just run Attack+3.

Depends on what you need her to do. In general, I strongly discourage mixing Player Phase and Enemy Phase skills since it would just make the unit weak in both phases. If you are going with a Player Phase skill set, make sure the rest of her kit synergizes with Player Phase.

Player Phase:
+Spd
Flametongue [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)
Make sure to remove Dragonskin and run something like Fury or Life and Death on her A slot. Flametongue is expensive, as it is only available on Y!Tiki, so you can just stick with Expiration until you can afford Flametongue.

Enemy Phase:
+Spd
Expiration
Repostion
Moonbow
Dragonskin
Guard — Quick Riposte
Panic Smoke — Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Quick Riposte — Swift Stance
This build is assuming she is not being used as a super tank. As a tank, she should have Quick Riposte either on her B slot or on her Sacred Seal slot. She is also of the Spd tank variety, so try to give her as much Spd buffs as possible.

For a better Enemy Phase build, you want something like the following, but it is a lot more expensive:
+Spd
Expiration
Repostion
Moonbow
Swift Stance (tier 3 not out yet)
Quick Riposte
Panic Smoke — Atk Smoke
Iote's Shield

It is mostly just waiting for resources to come. Even if you are a whale, while Orbs can do a lot, there is only so much you can do with Orbs before you are bottlenecked by some other resource.

The best way for new players to get Feathers is to participate in every event and weekly PvP modes. The bulk of players' Feathers will come from modes in the Coliseum. When you first start out, do not worry about doing well, just focus on participation. About 80% to 90% of the rewards in the game is based on participation. You can focus on doing well later. Just get used to various modes first and make sure to remember to play every mode in the Coliseum and Events.

Once you have a large selection of units in your Barracks, the best way to get Feathers is to grind Rival Domains. You will have to consult YouTube videos to figure out the best setup for a particular week.

A lot of your units will eventually reach 9,999 SP. I have about 1 or 2 dozen units with maxed SP cause I ran out of meaningful skills to give them.

1 hour ago, Alistair said:

Depends on the build. In most cases, I recommend +Spd, since there are a lot of fast sword units lately, and you want to make sure you double them.

However, if you are using Tailtiu as a Blazing nuke, then I recommend +Atk.
+Atk
Tome of Thoron [Atk]
Reposition
Blazing Wind
Life and Death
Special Spiral
Savage Blow
Hardy Bearing — Attack +3 — Heavy Blade

Edited by XRay

I have an extra Thrasir combat manual and I was wondering if I should save it for fodder, or if I should just add a merge to my +1 +Spd Thrasir. If I'm gonna do it, I should do it soon to take advantage of her spot on my Anima defense map and lower some lift loss. The only unit I can think of right now who would really want Flashing Blade 4 right now would be Mareeta so she could free up her seal slot. But I'm just not sure.... I'm so indecisive when it comes to fodder or merges.

Speaking of Mareeta, that's another one I'm really struggling with. My main copy I've had since her banner is +Spd -Atk. She's been great for me, but the -Atk always bothered me. A few weeks ago I got pity broken by a +Atk -Res copy. Again, I'm not sure what to do. I love her superboon in Spd, but I think the +Atk copy may be better in the long run? I would merge her as she's one of my favorite units, but Close Call is probably one of the best skills in the game and I can think of a few units I'd like to give it too. One other thing holding me back, is that my +Spd -Atk copy has Dragonflowers and lots of SI already (including Galeforce), so it just feels like a waste. I just have no idea what the right call with here is....

1 hour ago, TEKWRX said:

I have an extra Thrasir combat manual and I was wondering if I should save it for fodder, or if I should just add a merge to my +1 +Spd Thrasir. If I'm gonna do it, I should do it soon to take advantage of her spot on my Anima defense map and lower some lift loss. The only unit I can think of right now who would really want Flashing Blade 4 right now would be Mareeta so she could free up her seal slot. But I'm just not sure.... I'm so indecisive when it comes to fodder or merges.

I would go for a merge.

Flashing Blade is too niche in my opinion to be worthwhile, and Flashing Blade Sacred Seal would do just as well. The only reason to run Flashing Blade on the A slot is if you have multiple units that need to use Flashing Blade at the same time.

1 hour ago, TEKWRX said:

Speaking of Mareeta, that's another one I'm really struggling with. My main copy I've had since her banner is +Spd -Atk. She's been great for me, but the -Atk always bothered me. A few weeks ago I got pity broken by a +Atk -Res copy. Again, I'm not sure what to do. I love her superboon in Spd, but I think the +Atk copy may be better in the long run? I would merge her as she's one of my favorite units, but Close Call is probably one of the best skills in the game and I can think of a few units I'd like to give it too. One other thing holding me back, is that my +Spd -Atk copy has Dragonflowers and lots of SI already (including Galeforce), so it just feels like a waste. I just have no idea what the right call with here is....

I would keep the +Spd copy. Merging or foddering +Atk are both fine. If you really like +Atk, you can also just build it up as a separate unit with a different build that better takes advantage of that Asset, such as specializing in tank busting. I have 3 different copies of Julias, 2 copies of Cordelias, 2 copies of Micaiah, and so on. I got 4 copies of Reinhardt and 3 of them are all +Atk. There is nothing wrong with redundancy.

Bulk creep is a thing, but its impact is severely limited. To this day, inheritable Blade, Brave, and Firesweep Weapons still have not been given a Refine, which attests to how easy it is to overcome high bulk.

Spd creep is also a thing, but its impact is much more significant on the other hand. The best way to increase your unit's damage output is by doubling. At the same time, another way of mitigating damage besides stacking Def/Res is to stack Spd to prevent doubles. Player Phase guaranteed follow-up is not common as an inheritable skill (Bold Fighter and Parity Follow-Ups are limited to armor units), and Enemy Phase inheritable follow-up denial is extremely limited too (Wary Fighter and Parity Follow-Ups are also limited to armor units), so the impact of Spd creep is much more significant.

For inheritance, I think the best user of it is BH!Ike. I cannot really think of another unit that can put the skill to good use as well as he can.

Edited by XRay

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

For inheritance, I think the best user of it is BH!Ike. I cannot really think of another unit that can put the skill to good use as well as he can.

Yes, he was one of the units I was thinking about. But I'm not sure how effective it would be until I get some merges and maybe a +Spd copy. Mine is +HP and only +2 at the moment. I tried hard to get more copies of him during the 3yr anniversary CYL rerun, and only managed to pull 3 green pity breaks and 0 Ikes.

The other unit I was thinking of for Close Call is Byleth. I'm leaning more towards Male, but I have +Spd copies of both so I could go either way. My M!Byleth is +1, but I have 2 books that I've been holding onto because of his great fodder, and I have 2 copies and a book of F!Byleth and haven't decided what to do with her yet (I have +Atk -HP or +Spd -Atk)

3 hours ago, TEKWRX said:

Flashing Blade 4 is really only good if the unit already has the skill and you don't have something to replace it with.

The main problem with Flashing Blade is the fact that it relies on a Spd check, but costs you a slot that would be used to give the unit a boost in Spd. Because of this, running a Spd-boosting skill in the A slot with Flashing Blade in the Sacred Seal slot is typically superior to running Flashing Blade 4 in the A slot with a Spd-boosting skill in the Sacred Seal slot since the A slot has better Spd-boosting skills than the Sacred Seal slot.

Technically speaking, if you don't have any other rare A skills, then Flashing Blade 4 + Darting Blow 3 is better than Life and Death 3 / Swift Sparrow 2 + Flashing Blade 3, but it's not so much better than it's worth sacrificing a Thrasir for.

p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

How does this look? Couldn't get any of the other smoke skills for now so res smoke has to do. Our defence isn't exactly great in comparison to some other tanks, so will she be sufficient for this role? Speed could also be better given that penalty, but at least the bonus to HP will help that role.

Might want a secondary skill set for her so she can be either an enemy phase unit or a player phase unit, depending on what I need.

I think the only other enemy phase unit I have right now is the Flame Emperor. Who for some reason has less defence than Edelgard, 37 in comparison to 40.

Also, I could swear you could buy Flame Emperors with grails. Do I remember that wrong? Was that for a limited time only?

41 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

How does this look? Couldn't get any of the other smoke skills for now so res smoke has to do. Our defence isn't exactly great in comparison to some other tanks, so will she be sufficient for this role? Speed could also be better given that penalty, but at least the bonus to HP will help that role.

I cannot see the image.

I think the only other enemy phase unit I have right now is the Flame Emperor. Who for some reason has less defence than Edelgard, 37 in comparison to 40.

Edelgard has access to Assets and Flaws. Flame Emperor does not.

Also, I could swear you could buy Flame Emperors with grails. Do I remember that wrong? Was that for a limited time only?

Flame Emperor is not available in the Use Heroic Grails menu yet. She will be added eventually.

What about now?

I guess the dropbox link didn't work. I might have it set on private something. Annoyingly enough. This image was larger than 2MB as the original screenshot.

Fell Vessel2.png

Edit: I totally forgot that my Edelgard  hadan asset in defence. I guess that would explain it. But does that make her a superior tank?

Edited by Darkmoon6789

42 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

What about now?

I guess the dropbox link didn't work. I might have it set on private something. Annoyingly enough. This image was larger than 2MB as the original screenshot.

Fell Vessel2.png

Looks good. Just swap out Res Smoke for Atk Smoke whenever you can get the skill.

43 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

Edit: I totally forgot that my Edelgard  hadan asset in defence. I guess that would explain it. But does that make her a superior tank?

Not necessarily. Edelgard has worse overall bulk with lower HP and Res. Her higher Spd is also a detriment in this case, since it means she will not be able to activate a higher cool down Special as reliably. Her primary advantage over the Flame Emperor is better mobility.

How is a speed tank supposed to be used anyway? How significantly does that hit in speed affect her ability to perform this role?

A slow tank relies on high Def/Res to mitigate damage, and they want low Spd to ensure that they get doubled to activate a stronger Special to kill the enemy. A Spd tank has high Spd to avoid doubles, essentially cutting damage output in half, but they generally take more damage per hit. They are designed to deal with different types of nukes.

A slow tank wants 30 or less Spd, preferably 25 Spd and lower, and ideally lower than 20 if possible.

For a Spd tank, the minimum Spd threshold depends on the mode. In Arena you want at least 40 Spd, and 45 Spd should be sufficient in most cases. For Aether Raids, a Spd tank needs to reach 50 Spd at the bare minimum, which is not feasible for most Spd tanks to achieve unless they are a super tank and can rely on buffs to boost it up. Even 50 Spd is kind slow in my opinion; while it should be sufficient against most defense maps, against a highly competitive defense map, you want something like 55 to 60 Spd to prevent units like Alm: Saint King from doubling your tank. While Edelgard can achieve 50+ Spd, it will take a lot of extra effort just to get her there, the cost is high, and the performance will be average at best.

Generally speaking, Def/Res tanks are more useful overall and easier to use due to their higher bulk and lower maintenance, but they are very vulnerable to anti-tank units that can bypass their high Def/Res like Alm: Saint King, Celica: Queen of Valentia, and units that utilize Slaying Weapon-Heavy Blade/Flashing Blade combo.

Spd tanks are specifically built to counter those deficiencies, and generally have less glaring weaknesses overall, but at the cost of being much more reliant on healing, so while they can handle one-on-one fights just fine, they cannot handle multiple rounds of combat per turn like Def/Res tanks.

The best analogy I can come up with is that a slow Def/Res tank is like a house that has no issue weathering the storm but is super vulnerable to earthquakes. A Spd tank is not as good at weathering the storm, but they are not super vulnerable to earthquakes either.

Edited by XRay

18 minutes ago, XRay said:

A slow tank relies on high Def/Res to mitigate damage, and they want low Spd to ensure that they get doubled to activate a stronger Special to kill the enemy. A Spd tank has high Spd to avoid doubles, essentially cutting damage output in half, but they generally take more damage per hit. They are designed to deal with different types of nukes.

A slow tank wants 30 or less Spd, preferably 25 Spd and lower, and ideally lower than 20 if possible.

For a Spd tank, the minimum Spd threshold depends on the mode. In Arena you want at least 40 Spd, and 45 Spd should be sufficient in most cases. For Aether Raids, a Spd tank needs to reach 50 Spd at the bare minimum, which is not feasible for most Spd tanks to achieve unless they are a super tank and can rely on buffs to boost it up. Even 50 Spd is kind slow in my opinion; while it should be sufficient against most defense maps, against a highly competitive defense map, you want something like 55 to 60 Spd to prevent units like Alm: Saint King from doubling your tank. While Edelgard can achieve 50+ Spd, it will take a lot of extra effort just to get her there, the cost is high, and the performance will be average at best.

Generally speaking, Def/Res tanks are more useful overall and easier to use due to their higher bulk and lower maintenance, but they are very vulnerable to anti-tank units that can bypass their high Def/Res like Alm: Saint King, Celica: Queen of Valentia, and units that utilize Slaying Weapon-Heavy Blade/Flashing Blade combo.

Spd tanks are specifically built to counter those deficiencies, and generally have less glaring weaknesses overall, but at the cost of being much more reliant on healing, so while they can handle one-on-one fights just fine, they cannot handle multiple rounds of combat per turn like Def/Res tanks.

The best analogy I can come up with is that a slow Def/Res tank is like a house that has no issue weathering the storm but is super vulnerable to earthquakes. A Spd tank is not as good at weathering the storm, but they are not super vulnerable to earthquakes either.

Thanks, wouldn't Fell Vessel Robin with the speed of 32 . The two slow for this role by a significant margin? Sure, she has a defence of 30, but this isn't all that high either.

My Flame Emperor has 25 speed, slightly too fast? And 37 defense (41,including bracing stance). But my Edelgard has the highest defence out of any unit I have (as well as the highest attack) , including the bonuses from attack/defence solo and rouse attack/defence. It is a total of 52 , the friends and 74 attack respectively. (40 defence and 62 attack base). With 32 speed. But I guess her higher speed and lower res makes her less viable as a tank? (and lower HP). But she is still definitely my best unit against anything that isn't magical.

Am I understanding this correctly? I kind of think that the Fell Vessel is really damn cold and I want to find a use for her. Basically trying to make her as useful as my best units such as Edelgard.

Screenshot_20200408-230630.png

Edited by Darkmoon6789

59 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

Thanks, wouldn't Fell Vessel Robin with the speed of 32 . The two slow for this role by a significant margin? Sure, she has a defence of 30, but this isn't all that high either.

You generally want to plan your build around the future of your unit, not in its present state. Her base Spd is 35 which points towards a Spd tank build.

My Flame Emperor has 25 speed, slightly too fast? And 37 defense (41,including bracing stance).

25 Spd is fine. Better than 30 Spd.

But my Edelgard has the highest defence out of any unit I have (as well as the highest attack) , including the bonuses from attack/defence solo and rouse attack/defence. It is a total of 52 , the friends and 74 attack respectively. (40 defence and 62 attack base). With 32 speed. But I guess her higher speed and lower res makes her less viable as a tank? (and lower HP). But she is still definitely my best unit against anything that isn't magical.

Stats are not the only thing that matters. Skills are important too. Overhauling Edelgard to be an Enemy Phase unit is expensive. As a dual phase unit, she only needs to replace her B skill with one premium skill. As an Enemy Phase unit, she needs to replace her A and B slots with premium skills.

You are also not comparing units at an even playing field, as Edelgard has Summoner Support, which inflates her stats.

Am I understanding this correctly? I kind of think that the Fell Vessel is really damn cold and I want to find a use for her. Basically trying to make her as useful as my best units such as Edelgard.

Some units are more viable in more modes than others, and it depends on many other factors, like where you are in the game, what the meta of the game is like, etc. In my opinion, FV!Robin is easier to use than Edelgard. Edelgard has issues in higher difficulty modes due to her somewhat awkward positioning requirements. She is fine in modes like Arena where enemies do not hit particularly hard and do not travel particularly far, but she does not work so well in modes like Aether Raids and Abyssal maps where you do not want your skills to have awkward positioning requirements to activate.

Edited by XRay

So I am a bit troubled with Rinkah. I just don't know what tο do with her statline. The one I pulled is +Spd -Red which is a fine nature for what she comes with. And the bane doesn't concern me as I still have 15 pulls in her banner and I could get lucky. With her high Spd I was thinking of Close Call/Repel which is fine, special would be Sol/Aether (Bonfire in AR), However, I am not sure of the rest as Distant foil is pretty bad when compared to its close counterpart or normal DC, however her neutral Res is way too bad. What C slot and SS can I use to raise her Res so I can safely use DC and allow her to take one magical hit (Sol heals her afterwards)? 

And something else, below is my Julia currently. I build her up today using an unwanted Kiria, a Midori and the Nino manual. In a week or something she reruns so I will try and get some more merges and now that Fae's flowers are finished it basically is just her and Sothis for flowers also note that she gets Corrin or Legendary Eliwood support when used. So expect her stats to be a bit higher than the ones shown here. My question is, if it is better to keep this +Spd nature and try get Lul Atk Spd and with Atk smoke (Spd smoke of fine too) call it a day or should I go +def, keep this Lul, give Atk smoke (when I get it) and swap the seal for Qr.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200409_004003.thumb.jpg.a72ca556ea203e894c065ea1de2e3bd6.jpg

3 hours ago, Thane said:

When you've summoned 40 times and get to choose a freebie, do they have a neutral nature?

I am 90% sure they have a neutral nature. Think of it like the free brave selection. 

1 hour ago, Dylan Corona said:

Is there a max to how many buffs you can have? Cause my Lilith is stuck at 38 Res and Def, cause of other teammates buffs, and so her movement boost skill isn't taking effect when I do a move skill.

There is a limit to the blue/visible buffs as only the highest one applies. Invisible buffs from drives etc. can stack as much as you want. One example is what some people are running in AR defence, fliers with the defensive invisible flier buff (I forgot its name) giving the team a massive overall bulk. If you refer to visible buffs then you most likely gave her the maximum number. If you are talking about invisible ones then perhaps you didn't check the conditions of the skill and it's not active at least that's what I think. 

Edited by SuperNova125

11 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

So I am a bit troubled with Rinkah. I just don't know what tο do with her statline. The one I pulled is +Spd -Red which is a fine nature for what she comes with. And the bane doesn't concern me as I still have 15 pulls in her banner and I could get lucky. With her high Spd I was thinking of Close Call/Repel which is fine, special would be Sol/Aether (Bonfire in AR), However, I am not sure of the rest as Distant foil is pretty bad when compared to its close counterpart or normal DC, however her neutral Res is way too bad. What C slot and SS can I use to raise her Res so I can safely use DC and allow her to take one magical hit (Sol heals her afterwards)? 

I lean towards a Galeforce build. With that Spd, feels like a waste to use her as an Enemy Phase unit.

If you plan to use her as an Enemy Phase unit, Distant Foil does not allow her to counter attack against mages, so I do not see the point in worrying about her Res. Even when facing only against archers, her primary ranged opponent is SK!Alm, and while she can knock him out in retaliation with Bonfire, she is going to take extremely heavy damage in the process and she would be in no shape to go through multiple rounds of physical combat if SK!Alm is around.

If you plan to turn her into a super tank, you want to use Distant Counter on the A slot, run 2 Eirs, and run extra copies of Drive Res on M!Corrin or another buffer to balance out her bulk.

30 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

And something else, below is my Julia currently. I build her up today using an unwanted Kiria, a Midori and the Nino manual. In a week or something she reruns so I will try and get some more merges and now that Fae's flowers are finished it basically is just her and Sothis for flowers also note that she gets Corrin or Legendary Eliwood support when used. So expect her stats to be a bit higher than the ones shown here. My question is, if it is better to keep this +Spd nature and try get Lul Atk Spd and with Atk smoke (Spd smoke of fine too) call it a day or should I go +def, keep this Lul, give Atk smoke (when I get it) and swap the seal for Qr.

Depends on whether you want her to be a Spd tank or not. And if you are going for a Spd tank whether you want her to be a super tank (super tanks need to deal with SK!Alm).

For a slow tank I would make some minor adjustments:
+Def
Naga [special]
Reposition
Iceberg — Moonbow (if enemies are slow) — Ruptured Sky (if enemies are slow)
Close Foil
Lull Atk/Res
Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Quick Riposte
Try not to boost her Spd, or else she would be too fast to activate Iceberg reliably. If she still has trouble activating Iceberg reliably, then she unfortunately will need to run Moonbow or Ruptured Sky.

For just a regular Spd tank, it is practically the same build but tweaking the Asset. Special, and Lull the other way:
+Spd
Naga [special]
Reposition
Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
Close Foil
Lull Atk/Spd
Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Quick Riposte
I do not recommend Noontime. It is generally best to offload healing to a support unit.

For a super tank build, just run Steady Posture instead of Quick Riposte:
+Spd
Naga [special]
Reposition
Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
Close Foil
Lull Atk/Spd
Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Steady Posture
Make sure she gets LOTS of buffs. Buffers can fix a bad stat distribution, but buffers cannot fix low BST, and she has piss poor BST as a gen I ranged unit, so make sure she got enough of a stat advantage over her opponents. BST is more important than stat distribution for a super tank since you can just adjust your buffs via Drives to fix any holes in the stat distribution. I would run something like 2 M!Corrins with full Drives.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I lean towards a Galeforce build. With that Spd, feels like a waste to use her as an Enemy Phase unit.

If you plan to use her as an Enemy Phase unit, Distant Foil does not allow her to counter attack against mages, so I do not see the point in worrying about her Res. Even when facing only against archers, her primary ranged opponent is SK!Alm, and while she can knock him out in retaliation with Bonfire, she is going to take extremely heavy damage in the process and she would be in no shape to go through multiple rounds of physical combat if SK!Alm is around.

If you plan to turn her into a super tank, you want to use Distant Counter on the A slot, run 2 Eirs, and run extra copies of Drive Res on M!Corrin or another buffer to balance out her bulk.

I think I worded it in a wrong way I meant to say that I find her base kit kind of bad and enemy phase with DC is better for me. I actually thought of a build for her. 

• Rinkah's Club
  • Reposition/swap
  • Bonfire/Aether 
  • DC
  • Close call/repel
  • Atk smoke
  • Warding stance (swift stance outside of AR as Eir and Peony won't be available to buff her) 

She will be supported by Corrin with Refined Yato, Spd Res link (that random Nina was useful), drive def and drive res. Along with Eir and Peony she will have as +Spd +1, 

51 Hp, 59 Atk, 57 Spd, 53 Def and 43 Res. Making her pretty scary 

About Julia, the second and third build are what I am gravitating towards as Corrin and Eliwood could support her and fix things. Also she won't be used in AR, mostly I would say abyssals, as with the third build and Eliwood she would be pretty wild. 

I also was thinking that the legendary one could also pull of something similar

• Virtuous Naga
  • Reposition/Swap
  • Iceberg or Moonbow
  • Close Foil
  • Light and Dark
  • Atk smoke
  • QR as I have a +Def one.

She will be countering physical melee and due to the B slot she won't have to worry about dragons. Also Weapon and A will be giving her extra stats against ranged opponent too when activated. Though I first need a Close foil.

So, got to forty summons on the new Journey Begins banner and I'm torn between Rinkah and Lilith. Rinkah seems good and having more axe infantry or axe units in general for me seems helpful. Stat-wise, she's the second axe infantry whose base speed surpasses Anna after Lovebirds Alm & Celica. That does ignore Hilda, Linus, Raven, and +Spd axe infantry with +35 base neutral speed, but speedy axe units seem useful to have. She is also simpler to work with; use her right out of the box or inherit stuff onto her to make her a Galeforce unit for instance. The only meh thing is her resistance, but Annette, Echidna, Hawkeye, Libra, and Osian can be used for dealing with magic damage. Also, abs.

Lilith on the other hand is the fifth flying dragon and the second blue flying dragon after Naga. Good offensive stats as she's the fastest flying dragon now. Astral Breath is stupid, but the issue is that I don't use supports much. Of the units who have support-related effects, I feel like M!Corrin might be the best to cover greens for her if all the stat stacking she can get from him isn't enough to deal with them. Clive and Mathilda have a color overlap with her, Leila I feel like she might work better with Bramimond, Gunnthra, Matthew, CYL Micaiah, Saizo, Ursula, or any dagger with Broadleaf Fan who make use of debuffs to power their weapons, and I don't have Velouria.

Lastly, convince me use a Nailah that showed up today for Distant Counter and Null C-Disrupt on CYL Ike (+Def, -Spd) or someone else. Neutral CYL Ike is staying for F2P strategies. I like Nailah and my first one is +Spd, -Def while the second one today is +Atk, -HP. Couldn't have showed up with a different, worse asset, bane now could we? If I could, I would love to merge her, but she comes with two coveted skills and she might not be the greatest of units. A Killer effect is always useful as is the Wo Dao effect when she's transformed, Atk/Spd Form 3 is helpful at times, and Glare is useful in certain situations. Stat-wise, she could have had a bit more had they introduced gen 3 BST with The Ruler of the Laguz banner instead of after it. So, a bit more attack or resistance, but I'm just complaining now.

Now, if I were to merge her, I should keep her as +Spd, right? The speed ceiling is ever growing and several of the recent fast units have been red.