"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Hurry can said:

Is Lena worth promoting? I'm new to this game, sorry for the noobish questions.

Im on the fence between Lena or Wrys for my main healer.

Screenshot_20200806-144041(1).png

Lena has good stats and a useful weapon, so she's worth promoting, especially if you want to mainly use characters from Akaneia.

That said, you've starting merging her at 4*. If you promote her to 5*, she will lose her merges. Depending on how much you want to invest in her, it may be better to keep her at 4*.

1 minute ago, Hurry can said:

Right. Funny story actually.. 

She WAS lvl 5, but screwed up merging and.. This happened. I was upset.

You mean you promoted her to 5*, then merged that copy into a 4* and so now she's 4*?

That's actually not so bad, since it means she should still have access to her 5* weapon and skills. A 4* merged to +10 is stronger than an unmerged 5*. It's weaker than a 5* merged to +10, but that's a lot more expensive. It costs the same as promoting 10 other units, so it depends on how you want to allocate your resources.

2 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

You mean you promoted her to 5*, then merged that copy into a 4* and so now she's 4*?

That's actually not so bad, since it means she should still have access to her 5* weapon and skills. A 4* merged to +10 is stronger than an unmerged 5*. It's weaker than a 5* merged to +10, but that's a lot more expensive. It costs the same as promoting 10 other units, so it depends on how you want to allocate your resources.

Thanks for the input.. This is a lot to think about.

Yea, if anything, I learned to take it slower when upgrading characters.

2 hours ago, Hurry can said:

Is Lena worth promoting? I'm new to this game, sorry for the noobish questions.

Im on the fence between Lena or Wrys for my main healer.

Screenshot_20200806-144041(1).png

Depends on what you want your healer to do.

Wrys matches Lena in Res after factoring in Dragonflowers, as well as surpassing Lena in HP by 3 points under that consideration. For pure support versatility, Wrys is much better than Lena since he can both do Sabotage like Lena and he can do Infantry Pulse and Sudde Panic better than her. His Atk stat is also much lower, making him far more ideal in certain team compositions that utilize Atk Openings, Joyous Lantern, and Eliwood: Blazing Knight.

If you want a staff unit that can do Sabotage and deal a bit more chip damage, I would go with Lena.

Personally, I would not promote nor merge either of them until you can secure a Sabotage or Sudden Panic for their B slots. Without that B skill, they are not that different from any other staff infantry.

1 hour ago, Hurry can said:

Right. Funny story actually.. 

She WAS lvl 5, but I screwed up merging and.. This happened. I was upset.

59 minutes ago, Hurry can said:

Thanks for the input.. This is a lot to think about.

Yea, if anything, I learned to take it slower when upgrading characters.

As a new player, before you do anything that sacrifices a unit, I recommend doing some research first and pay attention to what sacrificing a unit does.

I do not recommend merging 4* units if it is for a unit you care about getting to 5*+10. If you want to take Lena to 5*+10, do NOT merge her if she is 4*. Getting her to 4*+10 and then to 5*+10 requires an additional 10 copies and that is a massive waste of Orbs. It is essentially flushing an extra 40 to 50 Orbs down the toilet and the only minor benefit is saving 3,000 Feathers, which is a horrible trade off. I would only take a unit to 4*+10 if it is a unit you do not care about.

While we are on the subject of sacrificing units, NEVER send 5* units home for Feathers. The average player can get 20,000+ Feathers per week, so sending a 5* unit home for 1,000 Feathers will not significantly speed up you ability to get more Feathers for promoting your favorite units to 5* in the short term, and it is extremely detrimental long term since it means you are missing out on extra tactical options if that was your only 5* copy of the unit, missing out on extra stats from merges, and/or missing out on skill fodder.

If you really do not need a 5* copy of unit, turn them into Combat Manuals instead of sending them home.

This also applies to 3* and 4* units, and the trade off is even worse since it is essentially sending a unit that costs 4 to 5 Orbs to summon for a measly 300 or 150 Feathers. I would personally never send any of these units home for Feathers unless you need those Feathers for an emergency to follow a guide or something. Even if a unit does not have great skill fodder, all units have the ability to be part of a skill fodder chain to make more efficient use of better skill fodder units. For example, Virion generally is not considered great for skill fodder by itself, but if you are foddering Cordelia off for Galeforce, you can fodder off Virion first for Night Sky and Astra, so you can get Galeforce from Cordelia as well as the full Triangle Adept line from her.

Edited by XRay

38 minutes ago, XRay said:

Depends on what you want your healer to do.

Wrys matches Lena in Res after factoring in Dragonflowers, as well as surpassing Lena in HP by 3 points under that consideration. For pure support versatility, Wrys is much better than Lena since he can both do Sabotage like Lena and he can do Infantry Pulse and Sudde Panic better than her. His Atk stat is also much lower, making him far more ideal in certain team compositions that utilize Atk Openings, Joyous Lantern, and Eliwood: Blazing Knight.

If you want a staff unit that can do Sabotage and deal a bit more chip damage, I would go with Lena.

Personally, I would not promote nor merge either of them until you can secure a Sabotage or Sudden Panic for their B slots. Without that B skill, they are not that different from any other staff infantry.

As a new player, before you do anything that sacrifices a unit, I recommend doing some research first and pay attention to what sacrificing a unit does.

I do not recommend merging 4* units if it is for a unit you care about getting to 5*+10. If you want to take Lena to 5*+10, do NOT merge her if she is 4*. Getting her to 4*+10 and then to 5*+10 requires an additional 10 copies and that is a massive waste of Orbs. It is essentially flushing an extra 40 to 50 Orbs down the toilet and the only minor benefit is saving 3,000 Feathers, which is a horrible trade off. I would only take a unit to 4*+10 if it is a unit you do not care about.

While we are on the subject of sacrificing units, NEVER send 5* units home for Feathers. The average player can get 20,000+ Feathers per week, so sending a 5* unit home for 1,000 Feathers will not significantly speed up you ability to get more Feathers for promoting your favorite units to 5* in the short term, and it is extremely detrimental long term since it means you are missing out on extra tactical options if that was your only 5* copy of the unit, missing out on extra stats from merges, and/or missing out on skill fodder.

If you really do not need a 5* copy of unit, turn them into Combat Manuals instead of sending them home.

This also applies to 3* and 4* units, and the trade off is even worse since it is essentially sending a unit that costs 4 to 5 Orbs to summon for a measly 300 or 150 Feathers. I would personally never send any of these units home for Feathers unless you need those Feathers for an emergency to follow a guide or something. Even if a unit does not have great skill fodder, all units have the ability to be part of a skill fodder chain to make more efficient use of better skill fodder units. For example, Virion generally is not considered great for skill fodder by itself, but if you are foddering Cordelia off for Galeforce, you can fodder off Virion first for Night Sky and Astra, so you can get Galeforce from Cordelia as well as the full Triangle Adept line from her.

My head hurts. This is very insightful, though.

Thanks. Julian X lena are just too good to pass up. Hope they don't get nerfed.

11 minutes ago, Hurry can said:

My head hurts. This is very insightful, though.

The simplest way I can put it is Wrys is better if you just want a pure support unit. If you want eye candy that is a little more fancy, Lena is not a bad option either.

In terms of resource management, just do not send anyone home and do not merge any 3* and 4* units until you get more acquainted with the game.

14 minutes ago, Hurry can said:

Thanks. Julian X lena are just too good to pass up. Hope they don't get nerfed.

Units being hard nerfed is pretty rare, and the only time it happened with a noticeable level of severity that I can recall was back in early 2018 when Trenches were first introduced, and it significantly impacted cavalry units' mobility on new maps moving forward.

Outside of that one instance, units generally fall out of favor gradually over time rather than being immediately unviable overnight. Power creep affects combat units that focuses on raw performance the most, and this includes units like Reinhardt and Black Knight. Raw performance nukes and tanks are the most dependent on stats and the quality and quantity of effects they can cram onto their Weapons.

For units less dependent on stats like Galeforcers and Firesweepers, power creep impacts them far less. Especially for Galeforcers with some type Heavy Blade on their Weapon, they do not have to worry about power creep very much, if at all, since team composition is far more important than raw combat performance due to the limited availability of some Sacred Seals to make Galeforcing viable.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

The simplest way I can put it is Wrys is better if you just want a pure support unit. If you want eye candy that is a little more fancy, Lena is not a bad option either.

In terms of resource management, just do not send anyone home and do not merge any 3* and 4* units until you get more acquainted with the game.

Before everything is said and done, I'll end up with both Wrys and Lena. It's the main focus I'm going for..

That being said... I've got a lot of work to do.

Edited by Hurry can
Typo

Currently i'm in an awkward situation. I have a copy of Bernie who i'm never going to use, mostly since I already have Claude at +6 with a +speed IV to boot. And she has 2 skills that would make fantastic fodder. But for 2 different units.

Brave Veronica would love that atk/spd push 4. But at the same time my next merge project Roderick would kill for that lull spd / def 3.

My other option is the duo Byleth I have. Fodder Bernie for that lull skill, and Byleth for that push skill. But considering its my only copy of duo Byleth I really don't think that would be a good option.

2 hours ago, Faellin said:

Currently i'm in an awkward situation. I have a copy of Bernie who i'm never going to use, mostly since I already have Claude at +6 with a +speed IV to boot. And she has 2 skills that would make fantastic fodder. But for 2 different units.

Brave Veronica would love that atk/spd push 4. But at the same time my next merge project Roderick would kill for that lull spd / def 3.

My other option is the duo Byleth I have. Fodder Bernie for that lull skill, and Byleth for that push skill. But considering its my only copy of duo Byleth I really don't think that would be a good option.

I would still keep Bernadetta around. She is one of the few units with an exclusive bow that rivals Brave Bow in power, and not many bows can do that. Claude's bow is crap in comparison.

If you still want to fodder her anyways, I would prioritize AOTB!Veronica. As a Firesweeper, Roderick can just use Poison Strike to deal guaranteed after combat damage. In my opinion, Firesweepers are better off with Poison Strike due to guaranteed damage, and the cost is much cheaper too. I would save Lulls for units with Desperation Weapons like Lyn or Lewyn.

My policy is to keep a copy of every unit, no matter what. I really recommend that approach. Don't underestimate the value of a whole unit, and don't overestimate the value of a slight improvement to one of your skill slots. 

13 hours ago, Hurry can said:

Before everything is said and done, I'll end up with both Wrys and Lena. It's the main focus I'm going for..

That being said... I've got a lot of work to do.

UPDATE: heres what I'm working with so far.

Taking into consideration what Baldrick and Xray said; I'm racking up feathers to get marth to 5 *s. And gathering multiple heroes to rank up other units.

Screenshot_20200807-160540~3.png

4 hours ago, Karimlan said:

Hey @XRay, you going default skillset on Yarr!Tibarn? Methinks he's always looking for the jump on Atk to ensure Heavy Blade procs consistently. 

Yeah, but I am planning to give him Moonbow, Death Blow, and Desperation so he can do regular raw damage nuke role as well. I might also give him Fury and Life and Death if he cannot get his HP low enough consistently.

What's the verdict on the ideal asset for a +10 Cecilia? Currently I have her at +Spd/+9 running a blade tome but her refine seems to want more attack. If +Atk is better, what's a decent budget build that I can try? She'll most likely be an AA counter pick. But the thing is, I also have a WoT!Olwen so I can just swap her into my current cavalry team if I need a blade tome unit but there's a part of me that says it's safer to keep Cecilia at +Spd in case I need an emergency blade tome, which TBH, the chances are quite low but I figured it'd be nice to have. 

4 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

What's the verdict on the ideal asset for a +10 Cecilia? Currently I have her at +Spd/+9 running a blade tome but her refine seems to want more attack. If +Atk is better, what's a decent budget build that I can try? She'll most likely be an AA counter pick. But the thing is, I also have a WoT!Olwen so I can just swap her into my current cavalry team if I need a blade tome unit but there's a part of me that says it's safer to keep Cecilia at +Spd in case I need an emergency blade tome, which TBH, the chances are quite low but I figured it'd be nice to have. 

Cecilia is considered a slow unit to begin with. Even with an Asset, she only has 29 Spd unmerged. Back in the old days, that was reasonable due to the accessibility of Hone Cavalry compared to other buffs and the fact that units simply had lower Spd in general, but 29 Spd is really slow by current standards.

Even if you need an emergency Gronnblade user in the future, I'm not sure how much she'd actually benefit from +Spd compared to +Atk unless you're seriously stacking the crap out of Spd-boosting skills.

I've been looking back over Tactics Drills and still haven't been able to figure out Skill Studies 84 or Grandmaster 29/31/32/34/36/38/40-42/44-46/48/50-55/58/61. Does anyone have any vague hints for any of those? Like, a way to get pointed in the right direction but without making it too obvious.

Just to be sure, but there was not a time frame or whatever for someone to have a non-focus, "wrong" 5* to show up in the 2020 Hero Fest banner and it doesn't matter if you actually spent orbs or not, right? I just remembered a few minutes ago that the banner would end today and decided to burn my free summon and tickets and the first summon was an Elincia who is a gen 1 unit. That means Sothis is compensated to me despite me not having actually spent an orb, but a free summon. I think?

Probably should merge the +Def Elinicia a while back into the neutral one. Either way, she will be +3 merged and she just wants attack and speed over defenses which neutral has +1 HP, Atk, and Spd over +Def being a superasset. Neutral Elincia at +3 having 38 HP, 36 Atk, 38 Spd, 25 Def, and 28 Res to +Def Elincia having 37 HP, 35 Atk, 37 Spd, 29 Def, and 28 Res.

Sothis is another question since she wants to make use of all her stats. The Sothis I summoned from legendary Seliph's banner is +Res, -Def and +Res does help considering she has Distant Counter. It would be a question of do I want +3 Res over +1 HP, +1 Atk, and +1 Spd; a stat spread of 42 HP, 34 Atk, 40 Spd, 32 Def, or 30 or 43 HP, 35 Atk, 41 Spd, 32 Def, and 27 Res. Also, I do have Yune, so I do run them both for dark season, so I do not really need two Sothises, Sothii, Sothese? Whatever.

45 minutes ago, Othin said:

Skill Studies 84

I'm not sure how vague this is or if this makes any sense, but you want to end phase 3 with Mila ahead, location-wise, of Duma.

Edited by Kaden

17 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Just to be sure, but there was not a time frame or whatever for someone to have a non-focus, "wrong" 5* to show up in the 2020 Hero Fest banner and it doesn't matter if you actually spent orbs or not, right? I just remembered a few minutes ago that the banner would end today and decided to burn my free summon and tickets and the first summon was an Elincia who is a gen 1 unit. That means Sothis is compensated to me despite me not having actually spent an orb, but a free summon. I think?

Yeah, I think they edited the notification to make it clearer. It now says at the bottom that players who summoned those units before the Hero Fest ends on 8/9 will get the free units. Doesn't say anything about caring if orbs were spent.

20 minutes ago, Kaden said:

I'm not sure how vague this is or if this makes any sense, but you want to end phase 3 with Mila ahead, location-wise, of Duma.

That was the perfect amount of information. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Othin said:

Yeah, I think they edited the notification to make it clearer. It now says at the bottom that players who summoned those units before the Hero Fest ends on 8/9 will get the free units. Doesn't say anything about caring if orbs were spent.

Okay, that makes sense since they are doing maintenance shortly after the reset on 8/9 and those who summoned before it ended are going to be players who played before it initially ended and not after since I believe new players have access to the Hero Fest banner for the same duration, but it starts when they started playing.

26 minutes ago, Othin said:

That was the perfect amount of information. Thanks!

No problem. The Grandmaster ones that you listed I may have cleared one of them without a guide or came very close to doing so, but I don't remember them or at least none of them make me think, "Oh yeah! That one." I guess for Grandmaster 34 and I had to look up a guide to see the end of it, the kids will have to help Grimama take out the healer. Basically, keep in mind the truth of Grima and Ward Dragons is actually a good skill in the end.

Edited by Kaden

10 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Okay, that makes sense since they are doing maintenance shortly after the reset on 8/9 and those who summoned before it ended are going to be players who played before it initially ended and not after since I believe new players have access to the Hero Fest banner for the same duration, but it starts when they started playing.

No problem. The Grandmaster ones that you listed I may have cleared one of them without a guide or came very close to doing so, but I don't remember them or at least none of them make me think, "Oh yeah! That one." I guess for Grandmaster 34 and I had to look up a guide to see the end of it, the kids will have to help Grimama take out the healer. Basically, keep in mind the truth of Grima and Ward Dragons is actually a good skill in the end.

Yeah, sounds like it.

And thanks, got that one as well now!

5 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

If you have the resources, you can just build both natures up. Cecilia is pretty common and she is not used as fodder too often. You can specialize the +Spd one towards Blade-Desperation, the +Atk one towards Raven/Counter-Vantage, and give one Light Blessing and the other Astra Blessing. The ideal Asset is generally more dependent on build than on who the unit is.

A +Spd Cecilia at +10 can reach 33 Spd on stats alone, and while it is not great, it is usable. I do not recommend giving her Flowers +5 since it would take her to 41 HP, making her vulnerable to Bolt Traps. Life and Death (5), Brazen Atk/Spd (7), and Hone Cavalry (6) will take that to 51 Spd, which should be sufficient for modes outside of Aether Raids. If you want to deck her out with Brazen Atk/Spd 4, she can reach 56 Spd.

For +Atk Cecilia, whether or not you want to go +10+5 depends on how often you want to utilize Counter-Vantage. If you plan to use Counter-Vantage often, I would keep her at +10 so she can step on a Bolt Trap and be ready to go. If you plan to use her as a Raven mage more often, then I would go the full +10+5 to give her more bulk and punching power.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, Kaden said:

Just to be sure, but there was not a time frame or whatever for someone to have a non-focus, "wrong" 5* to show up in the 2020 Hero Fest banner and it doesn't matter if you actually spent orbs or not, right?

I'm a new player and was wondering what heroes are "wrong" here. Is it all the heroes that appear here https://i.imgur.com/Ey0wHpw.jpg? Just trying to work out what compensations I should be getting.

Also in general, are these "wrong" heroes impossible to get now except through revival focus banners?

6 minutes ago, tralak123 said:

I'm a new player and was wondering what heroes are "wrong" here. Is it all the heroes that appear here https://i.imgur.com/Ey0wHpw.jpg? Just trying to work out what compensations I should be getting.

Also in general, are these "wrong" heroes impossible to get now except through revival focus banners?

If you get any of those Heroes in the picture, you get either Sothis, DM!Ephraim, Nagi, or Bernadetta. If you get a wrong Hero that is red, you get Sothis. If you get a wrong Hero that is blue, you get DM!Ephraim. And so on and so forth.

You can check the in game Notifications on the Home screen for more detail, it is next to the Present List. If you have trouble finding the specific notification, you can read it here on Gamepedia.