"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

Surprisingly, I managed to pull 2 L!Corrin. One is +res -spd and the other one is +def -res. Should I merge them or keep the +def one? Her fodder is just too tempting and could be extremely useful.

Thanks!

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Karuu30 said:

Surprisingly, I managed to pull 2 L!Corrin. One is +res -spd and the other one is +def -res. Should I merge them or keep the +def one? Her fodder is just too tempting and could be extremely useful.

Thanks!

I would merge, and I would use +Spd as the base. Since you only have +Def and +Res, I would go with +Res to balance her bulk.

Distant Counter can be obtained from Hector, who is cheaper and easier to summon from Weekly Revival Foci.

Shield Pulse is extremely niche, and I do not think it is all that useful for most tanks.

Drive Atk is pretty good for Counter-Vantage units if they are near allies, but Def Smoke is stronger (if it hits foes) and cheaper, and it does not come with positioning requirements. Res Smoke is about as expensive since it can be only obtained with Grails via Brunnya with Orbs Via FV!F!Robin. Joint Drive Atk's primary advantage is that the buff to Atk cannot be cancelled out by stuff like Restore and debuff nullification, so it is more consistent in that regard, but I do not think the positioning requirement is worth it. For regular tanks, they should stick with Atk Smoke to further increase their bulk.

50 minutes ago, Faellin said:

For skills like close call and repel, does the speed check for damage reduction only count visible changes to stats and blue buffs? Or does it take in combat buffs into consideration as well?

Against area-of-effect Specials, I believe it only counts visible Spd and Phantom Spd.

While in combat, it counts in combat buffs.

Edited by XRay

On 9/6/2020 at 4:12 PM, XRay said:

but I do not think the positioning requirement is worth it.

Having at least 1 ally within 2 squares is literally the most lenient positioning requirement in the game (outside of effects that are 100% guaranteed, like global effects and Rein-like effects).

On 9/6/2020 at 4:12 PM, XRay said:

but Def Smoke is stronger (if it hits foes) and cheaper, and it does not come with positioning requirements.

"If it hits foes" is a positioning requirement, and one that is less under your control than the positioning of your own units.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Having at least 1 ally within 2 squares is literally the most lenient positioning requirement in the game (outside of effects that are 100% guaranteed, like global effects and Rein-like effects).

"If it hits foes" is a positioning requirement, and one that is less under your control than the positioning of your own units.

For Counter-Vantage, you sometimes need to Smite them deep into enemy range and cannot rely on allies being close by or else they can get sniped.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, XRay said:

For Counter-Vantage, you sometimes need to Smite them deep into enemy range and cannot rely on allies being close by or else they can get sniped.

That doesn't change the fact that Smoke skills are still also dependent on positioning and that positioning is less under your control. You're downplaying the fact that there are just as many, if not more, ways for Smoke skills to fail than there are for Joint Drive skills to fail.

50 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That doesn't change the fact that Smoke skills are still also dependent on positioning and that positioning is less under your control. You're downplaying the fact that there are just as many, if not more, ways for Smoke skills to fail than there are for Joint Drive skills to fail.

It is true that Smoke is also dependent on positioning, but enemy positioning is easier to rely on in my opinion since the vast majority of defense teams bunch themselves up together.

46 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I have a forma Oliver with the following skills:

fire_emblem_heroes_2020_09_08_17_08_28_b

Is he worth getting, knowing he'll probably be benched?

You just answered your own question and I will provide the same answer.

No.

Just had male Kris randomly show up for me a 2nd time Got my first from his debut and he came up +speed back then as well which looks to be his best IV.

But I read somewhere that coming up -HP actually does hurt damage reduction skills quite hard, especially in Kris's case where HP is a superbane. I looked at the stat gains he would get from merging, and it would be +5 HP from patching up the IV, and an extra point in speed. Which seems very useful since I actually use him quite alot.

But at the same time I have a few units lined up who could benefit nicely from that spurn fodder.

A +5 Karla, +speed, and I already sacked a spare Byleth to her a long time ago. But her defenses are quite low even for damage reduction standards. And not sure if fury 4 would be beneficial for the setup as well.

A +10 male Corrin, fully invested with flowers, a sacked L:Celica for SS3 and atk/spd oath, he would absolutely kill for that spurn and joint drive atk fodder.

So what would you recomend in this situation? Merging to patch up that superbane on my +speed Kris, or fodder to one of the above characters?

Edited by Faellin

With his refine coming out, I've been trying to decide what to do with my dupe Brave Hector. Would +atk or +res be better for him? I've been leaning toward +res since it helps him survive, but atk is a superboon and might help with some OHKOs.

2 hours ago, Faellin said:

Just had male Kris randomly show up for me a 2nd time Got my first from his debut and he came up +speed back then as well which looks to be his best IV.

But I read somewhere that coming up -HP actually does hurt damage reduction skills quite hard, especially in Kris's case where HP is a superbane. I looked at the stat gains he would get from merging, and it would be +5 HP from patching up the IV, and an extra point in speed. Which seems very useful since I actually use him quite alot.

But at the same time I have a few units lined up who could benefit nicely from that spurn fodder.

A +5 Karla, +speed, and I already sacked a spare Byleth to her a long time ago. But her defenses are quite low even for damage reduction standards. And not sure if fury 4 would be beneficial for the setup as well.

A +10 male Corrin, fully invested with flowers, a sacked L:Celica for SS3 and atk/spd oath, he would absolutely kill for that spurn and joint drive atk fodder.

So what would you recomend in this situation? Merging to patch up that superbane on my +speed Kris, or fodder to one of the above characters?

I would not bother with Spurn/Close Call/Repel on anyone except BH!Ike or your favorite super tank. In my opinion, BH!Ike is the best candidate for Spurn, since he can stack the percentage damage reduction with Urvan. Other super tanks can use it as well, but I think Null Follow-Up is slightly better since denying guaranteed follow-up attacks is essentially the same as 50% damage reduction on two hits and it denies Special activation. Spurn in contrast only does 40% reduction and it does not stop Specials from triggering via guaranteed follow-up attacks. However, against units without guaranteed follow-up attacks, Spurn is better since Null Follow-Up is a dead skill against any enemies without guaranteed follow-up attacks, and Spurn also provides a little bit of protection against area-of-effect Specials.

If you are putting Fury on Karla, she should stick with a player phase skill set and use Desperation. Spurn is more for dual phase and enemy phase units who need their bulk to be constantly high.

Similarly for M!Corrin, if you gave him Swift Sparrow, I would stick with Desperation. I do not really see any point in using Spurn on a fast player phase unit when Desperation will essentially give a nuke "infinite" bulk.

Personally, I would save M!Kris as fodder for BH!Ike or some other super tank. I would not merge him unless you plan to turn him into a super tank.

1 hour ago, bottlegnomes said:

With his refine coming out, I've been trying to decide what to do with my dupe Brave Hector. Would +atk or +res be better for him? I've been leaning toward +res since it helps him survive, but atk is a superboon and might help with some OHKOs.

If you are using him as dual phase unit, then I would go with +Atk. If you kill the most threatening units on player phase, there is less need for a strong enemy phase.

If you are using him as an enemy phase unit, I lean towards +Res so he is less vulnerable to Brave Weapons. +Atk is not bad either, but I do not think it is super necessary since if you run Special Fighter, AOTB!Hector is going to retaliate back with Bonfire immediately to their face, and that would pretty much kill most nukes in one shot.

@XRay Do you consider Legendary F!Corrin one of those supertanks?

At 0 merge +Spd, with her weapons effect triggered, and with the Darting Stance SS (for examples sake, she can run any Spd-boosting seal she wants or Phantom Spd theoretically) she sits at 54 Spd, which can be boosted to 60 with Hone Dragons (now available as a Seal). I'm not saying that's fast enough to get the full effect of an Evasion skill, but there are still ways for her to get even more Spd, and at the end of the day she will be boasting 40% Damage reduction on top of the 30% reduction from Neutralizing Fang which can't be exploited for WTA damage, which honestly I feel is a disadvantage Bike has to deal with since units like Lysithea can still deal a large amount of damage to him. Dragon effectiveness would be the biggest problem, but Duo Idunn can help fix that problem if a slot is available for her.

I been meaning to ask, but I kept forgetting until this specific topic came up. I know Spurn probably won't actually do anything for Corrin, but the other two Evasion skills can be used if having used effects is an issue. There would also be the issue of Corrin being a legendary and unable to receive the full benefits of Peony, but Veronica's refine may help to replicate at least some of that benefit.

Did not notice inheritance restrictions, don't mind me.

Edited by Xenomata

While sparking for Shannan, I got a second Larcei. The new one is +Def/-Spd, the original is +Res/-Atk. What should I do with them? Atk/Spd Solo fodder would be pretty great for my +10 Naesala, but those banes are both pretty painful in their own ways, so I'm not sure which one I'd rather keep. I use Naesala way more than Larcei, so I do not think merging would be preferable.

2 hours ago, Othin said:

While sparking for Shannan, I got a second Larcei. The new one is +Def/-Spd, the original is +Res/-Atk. What should I do with them? Atk/Spd Solo fodder would be pretty great for my +10 Naesala, but those banes are both pretty painful in their own ways, so I'm not sure which one I'd rather keep. I use Naesala way more than Larcei, so I do not think merging would be preferable.

If you want to merge Larcei, then I'd keep +Def -Spd, since her Res won't come into serious play too often with her default skillset.
If you'd rather book a Larcei and use it for skill fodder, keep +Res. I assume, based on what you said, you wouldn't use Larcei seriously outside of very specific battles, so keeping as much of her Speed intact would seem a good option IMO, since her default kit makes it double for defense.

Personally I wouldn't use Larcei for AS-solo fodder (heh, ass fodder) when the skill exists on other units and other alternatives exist while the other two skills aren't quite as common yet, but that's just me putting a lot of value in rare skills I don't have many, if any, books of.

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

If you want to merge Larcei, then I'd keep +Def -Spd, since her Res won't come into serious play too often with her default skillset.
If you'd rather book a Larcei and use it for skill fodder, keep +Res. I assume, based on what you said, you wouldn't use Larcei seriously outside of very specific battles, so keeping as much of her Speed intact would seem a good option IMO, since her default kit makes it double for defense.

Personally I wouldn't use Larcei for AS-solo fodder (heh, ass fodder) when the skill exists on other units and other alternatives exist while the other two skills aren't quite as common yet, but that's just me putting a lot of value in rare skills I don't have many, if any, books of.

I certainly consider Repel her most exciting skill, but I already have access to it from my extra Fallen Ike, and haven't found someone who really wants it yet. My other Atk/Spd Solo units so far are Fallen Corrin F, Sothis, and Sirius, and they all have other cool fodder I could use them for if I get extras. Panic Smoke doesn't seem that exciting to me, personally. I already merged my extra Thrasir, and I still don't really have anyone in mind for it. 

Swift Sparrow 3 would be at least as good, admittedly, but my only current non seasonal unit with it is Brave Eliwood. And I'm not really expecting to get more Atk/Spd skills than I need, since I'll probably keep making merge projects that want them faster than I get fodder of them. 

I guess if I ever dig into the FE4 manual path for Special Spiral, Ishtar with SS3 wouldn't be too much further, so that's an alternative. But it's a ways off. Still, maybe I'll sit on the extra for now and see what happens. 

Edited by Othin

4 hours ago, Othin said:

14 minutes ago, Othin said:

I certainly consider Repel her most exciting skill, but I already have access to it from my extra Fallen Ike, and haven't found someone who really wants it yet. My other Atk/Spd Solo units so far are Fallen Corrin F, Sothis, and Sirius, and they all have other cool fodder I could use them for if I get extras. Panic Smoke doesn't seem that exciting to me, personally. I already merged my extra Thrasir, and I still don't really have anyone in mind for it. 

Swift Sparrow 3 would be at least as good, admittedly, but my only current non seasonal unit with it is Brave Eliwood. And I'm not really expecting to get more Atk/Spd skills than I need, since I'll probably keep making merge projects that want them faster than I get fodder of them. 

I guess if I ever dig into the FE4 manual path for Special Spiral, Ishtar with SS3 wouldn't be too much further, so that's an alternative. But it's a ways off. Still, maybe I'll sit on the extra for now and see what happens. 

A player really only needs two copies of Spurn/Repel/Close Call at most since the only units that can use them effectively are super tanks. Having a third or fourth copy is not a bad idea if the player is prone to making impulsive decisions and slapped one of the skills onto their favorite unit without thinking, but for most players, two is generally more than enough. It might also be a good idea to keep a third and fourth copy for future proofing, so the player can switch to a better super tank in the future, but I do not think Intelligent Systems is going to make a unit as bonkers as BH!Ike in the foreseeable future, so I do not think future proofing is all that necessary in this scenario.

If this is your second copy, I personally lean towards saving it in case you want to build two Spurn/Repel/Close Call super tanks, one for each Season. However, if you plan to only Spurn on one supertank, then I would fodder Larcei for Atk/Spd Solo.

If this is your third copy and you already have a Spurn fodder and a Repel fodder elsewhere, then I would prioritize Atk/Spd Solo over Repel. Atk/Spd Solo is pretty rare too, and I would save it for staff nukes if you have any. Dual phase units can also use them, but I do not see dual phase units being common and I am not sure they are that good in the current meta outside of Counter-Vantage units, and Counter-Vantage units generally do not need Solos.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

A player really only needs two copies of Spurn/Repel/Close Call at most since the only units that can use them effectively are super tanks. Having a third or fourth copy is not a bad idea if the player is prone to making impulsive decisions and slapped one of the skills onto their favorite unit without thinking, but for most players, two is generally more than enough. It might also be a good idea to keep a third and fourth copy for future proofing, so the player can switch to a better super tank in the future, but I do not think Intelligent Systems is going to make a unit as bonkers as BH!Ike in the foreseeable future, so I do not think future proofing is all that necessary in this scenario.

If this is your second copy, I personally lean towards saving it in case you want to build two Spurn/Repel/Close Call super tanks, one for each Season. However, if you plan to only Spurn on one supertank, then I would fodder Larcei for Atk/Spd Solo.

If this is your third copy and you already have a Spurn fodder and a Repel fodder elsewhere, then I would prioritize Atk/Spd Solo over Repel. Atk/Spd Solo is pretty rare too, and I would save it for staff nukes if you have any. Dual phase units can also use them, but I do not see dual phase units being common and I am not sure they are that good in the current meta outside of Counter-Vantage units, and Counter-Vantage units generally do not need Solos.

I don't have other evasion skill fodder right now, just the two. But that's a lot for my purposes. Are there any other super tanks you'd recommend for a budget player? Particularly for Astra season. 

I do have Atk/Spd Push, so I can use that when I build a staff nuke. That's another role I don't think I'd need multiples of.

Asking I don't merge, do you agree with keeping the +Res one?

4 hours ago, Othin said:

I don't have other evasion skill fodder right now, just the two. But that's a lot for my purposes. Are there any other super tanks you'd recommend for a budget player? Particularly for Astra season. 

Maybe Brunnya? I think she prefers Null Follow-Up though since Duma and Líf got guaranteed follow-up attacks.

I cannot really think of using anyone else for Astra besides BH!Ike, and the only thing holding him back right now is just a lack of Astra Spd Mythic.

I do not think there is anyone else too notable. Maybe someone like Say'ri who got high Spd and low Def can be okay, since they can take advantage of Naga's Def buff.

28 minutes ago, XRay said:

Maybe Brunnya? I think she prefers Null Follow-Up though since Duma and Líf got guaranteed follow-up attacks.

I cannot really think of using anyone else for Astra besides BH!Ike, and the only thing holding him back right now is just a lack of Astra Spd Mythic.

I do not think there is anyone else too notable. Maybe someone like Say'ri who got high Spd and low Def can be okay, since they can take advantage of Naga's Def buff.

Interesting. Although Brunnya can't use evasion skills anyway, and Say'ri comes with her own. 

1 hour ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Who wants a tier 4 bond skill?  I have some units I'm going to be investing in for maybe abyssal content, but I'm not sure who.

In 2020, no one really wants it. You can put it on an Arena core if they have a Distant Counter Weapon, but Unity skills score just as high, are easier to use, and are much more powerful.

Bonds are pretty much the new Defiants, since they are severely outclassed by better skills and are too much of a hassle to use.

1 hour ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Also would male Grima benefit from using pulse smoke?

Yes, but that is only really relevant in Aether Raids and maybe Arena where Pulse skills are more common.

In PvE content, the only units you will ever debuff with Pulse Smoke on a frequent basis are bosses with precharged Specials, and I do not think that is a good use of a tank's C slot since Atk Smoke is far more relevant as it can debuff anyone on the map instead of just the boss. I do not think I have seen any reinforcements spawn in with precharged Specials.

I would still give it to him anyways in case you encounter a scenario where unraveling the boss's Special is key to some strategy or something.

For other candidates, you may also want to consider Chrom: Crowned Exalt and any other commonly used bulky enemy phase/dual phase units you have.

So Valter's been a fabulous lead for a while, but he's starting to slip hardcore in effectiveness in AR (tier 18), and I'm getting the itch to make him into a Galeforce build, as well make him a bit more min/maxed with IVcados.  Is there some skills or obvious stuff I'm hardcore missing out?  

(for context as far as playstyle,  more of a serious casual?  I have no illusions at getting to the top levels of AR, lol, but would like to hit 21 once as a 'that was cool' moment.)

Screenshot_20200911-115113_Fire Emblem Heroes.jpg