"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

55 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

All skills that rely on comparing stats, like Sabotage skills, check the stat value at the beginning of the turn and are triggered at the same time as all other Start of Turn effects, such as Hones. As such, you cannot use Fortify skills to modify the number of targets a Sabotage/Ploy skill can affect.

However, it is important to know that effects that were applied during the previous turn will impact this. So for instance, if during Enemy Phase a unit with a refined Smoke Dagger+ was attacked, giving everyone on your team a +6 to all stats, that would impact a units ability to affect targets since their Res was improved before the Start of Turn effect. The same applies for all skills that rely on stat comparisons, such as Chills.
Keep in mind that a turn is not the same as a phase. Enemy Phase 1 would be Turn 2, Player phase 2 would be Turn 3, so on so forth.

This is admittedly not a reliable way to improve the number of targets affected by Sabotages, and it would be far easier to use skills such as Fortresses and stat boosting Sacred Seals.

Got it, thanks!

Although, your description of turns/phases is different from how I've always conceptualized turns. I thought Turn 1 encompassed PP1 AND EP1. 

In the context of AR defense, if my Tethys uses Fortify Res to buff a teammate, I've always assumed the buff lasts through not only my team's phase but also the foe's phase; is that true? Likewise, in PvE content, if I buff a teammate during Player Phase, does that buff last through the following Enemy Phase? 

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, SRPG Tryhard said:

This didn't answer my question.

Pretty sure I answered it here in this thread before several a few pages back.

In case you missed it, I will quote myself.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:11 AM, XRay said:

I do not think the question needs an entire thread, so I will be answering here.

From my experience, buff cancelation is not very common and it is mostly found on tanks or units that comes with it by default.

Buffs are not actually necessary either unless you are running Blade mages, but I will elaborate on buffs a bit. Hones and Fortifies are generally better on a player phase teams, while Goads and Wards are generally better on an enemy phase team. Player phase teams need positioning flexibility when engaging in combat, and it simply is not feasible to waste several cavalry unit's turn to just stand by and sit on the front lines just to buff one nuke to take out an enemy. Similarly, enemy phase units generally needs a bit heavier stat stacking to compete with player phase units, and while they can use Hones and Fortifies, Hones and Fortifies do not stack and you will want to increase stat advantage further via Goads and Wards.

For Arena Assault, using movement teams is not the best way to tackle Arena Assault and the stat difference does not actually matter that much. The most efficient way to tackle Arena Assault is to build dedicated hard counters outlined in the following and give them Dark and Anima Blessings. You also want to collect as many Dancers/Singers as possible, as they give you more leeway for misclicks and mistakes.

Hard Counter
+Atk
(Any Gem Weapons) — (Any Armor Effective Weapons) — (Any Brave Weapons) (with Luna)  — (Any Blade Weapons)
(Any Assist)
Glimmer — Luna (with Brave Weapons)
Death Blow — Triangle Adept
(Any Breaker)
(Any C)
(Any Sacred Seal)

If you do want to run movement teams, it is best to use a player phase team composition with two or three nukes and one or two Dancers/Singers, and you want the Dancer/Singer to be the one carrying bonus buffs. Infantry and fliers are well suited for this. I do not recommend cavalry teams unless you have a cavalry Dancer/Singer.

I would not bother with armor units at all due to their low movement range, unless you have the means to address that mobility issue.

I do not recommend running teams mixing player phase and enemy phase units together since they each require different support units. If your strategy for a map is to counter pick the most or all of the enemy team, mixing player phase and enemy phase units is fine since you have less need for support units when you counter pick. Player phase teams need Dancers/Singers to work smoothly and generally do not want healing. Enemy phase teams want a healer on the team, and while they can use Dancers/Singers somewhat, healers are more important.

21 minutes ago, uhmuzing said:

Got it, thanks!

Although, your description of turns/phases is different from how I've always conceptualized turns. I thought Turn 1 encompassed PP1 AND EP1. 

In the context of AR defense, if my Tethys uses Fortify Res to buff a teammate, I've always assumed the buff lasts through not only my team's phase but also the foe's phase; is that true? Likewise, in PvE content, if I buff a teammate during Player Phase, does that buff last through the following Enemy Phase? 

I was wrong about almost everything below the first paragraph. My original comment was edited, though... I guess I didn't edit fast enough?

About turns and phases, I got the phrases mixed up because it's pretty much never talked about. One turn counts as PP1 and EP1, but one PHASE is each individual turn, so Phase 1 = Player Phase 1, Phase 2 = Enemy Phase 1, Phase 3 = Player Phase 2, etc etc. That is entirely my bad.

And as for the second question, what happens is that all bonuses on your team, including buffs from Hones/Fortifies and Rallies and buffs like from Naga's personal skill or Legendary Eliwood's Ardent Durandal, are removed at the end of the turn, hence the phrase "for 1 turn" in such skill descriptions. All effects remain through the current turn until then, unless something happens that would remove the buffs (which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist outside of in-combat effects)
Penalties that were inflicted during the Enemy Phase will remain on the unit through the next Player Phase until either the unit takes their action (such penalties will not return even if the unit is granted a second action for any reason) or an ally uses an assist that would clear their penalties.
That was mainly what I was wrong about before actually: after I made my comment I went to see how the skills interacted with each other, but even though the Sabotage skill holders Res was boosted to a point where it would affect a unit it wouldn't before, the Field buff was gone by the start of the next phase.

Edited by Xenomata

3 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

That was mainly what I was wrong about before actually: after I made my comment I went to see how the skills interacted with each other, but even though the Sabotage skill holders Res was boosted to a point where it would affect a unit it wouldn't before, the Field buff was gone by the start of the next phase.

Yeah, unfortunately it seems like bonus buffs get applied after the stat checks have happened at the start of a turn. It would be pretty cool if bonus buffs can help a unit apply Sabotages and Ploys.

17 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I was wrong about almost everything below the first paragraph. My original comment was edited, though... I guess I didn't edit fast enough?

About turns and phases, I got the phrases mixed up because it's pretty much never talked about. One turn counts as PP1 and EP1, but one PHASE is each individual turn, so Phase 1 = Player Phase 1, Phase 2 = Enemy Phase 1, Phase 3 = Player Phase 2, etc etc. That is entirely my bad.

And as for the second question, what happens is that all bonuses on your team, including buffs from Hones/Fortifies and Rallies and buffs like from Naga's personal skill or Legendary Eliwood's Ardent Durandal, are removed at the end of the turn, hence the phrase "for 1 turn" in such skill descriptions. All effects remain through the current turn until then, unless something happens that would remove the buffs (which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist outside of in-combat effects)
Penalties that were inflicted during the Enemy Phase will remain on the unit through the next Player Phase until either the unit takes their action (such penalties will not return even if the unit is granted a second action for any reason) or an ally uses an assist that would clear their penalties.

Ohhh okay, yeah I see you edited your first reply now. I guess I quoted you/starting formulating my question before you went back to your post. 

I guess it makes sense Sabotage skills can't be manipulated with buffs. Perhaps they would be too prevalent if that were the case... If it were possible I figured it would be a useful application of Fortify Res 4, since it's such a rare skill it seems a waste not to use it, but in practice my Defense team seems to be better served by Res Tactic. 

Quick question, does anyone know how skill effects such as Special Spiral, Yarne's Bunny Fang, or Celica's refine Royal Sword effect of Special charge after combat interacts with skills like Pulse Smoke or the Resonant Battle foes Sacred Seals? Like, does the special charge boost on the player skills activate at the same time as the foes Special charge penalty?

5 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Quick question, does anyone know how skill effects such as Special Spiral, Yarne's Bunny Fang, or Celica's refine Royal Sword effect of Special charge after combat interacts with skills like Pulse Smoke or the Resonant Battle foes Sacred Seals? Like, does the special charge boost on the player skills activate at the same time as the foes Special charge penalty?

I believe they happen at the same time, so Yarne and AOTB!Celica (with Time's Pulse) should be able to Galeforce as normal in Resonant Battles.

Good users for the blue flame special? Random Owain showed up for me and I have no real reason to use him. Already have him at +1 with +speed. I never really use him outside of awakening limited battles and arena assault sometimes. I have no real intention of investing heavily into him either.

4 hours ago, Faellin said:

Good users for the blue flame special? Random Owain showed up for me and I have no real reason to use him. Already have him at +1 with +speed. I never really use him outside of awakening limited battles and arena assault sometimes. I have no real intention of investing heavily into him either.

I've been using it (alongside Wrath, both from the Owain manual) on my +10 Gwendolyn, personally. She's one of my main Arena units, so it helps her score high without needing Aether, and her weapon lets her do the same thing as Owain of charging it in a single hit from the enemy.

Edited by Othin

5 hours ago, Faellin said:

In terms of performance, nobody wants it. Its only purpose is scoring, so just give it to any Arena core who wants a Special quicker than Aether.

Ruptured Sky is much better in my opinion. It scores the same but has lower cooldown and no positioning requirements.

To make the best use of Blue Flame, you will want to use it on a unit that utilizes Bonds and other skills requiring adjacency.

39 minutes ago, XRay said:

In terms of performance, nobody wants it. Its only purpose is scoring, so just give it to any Arena core who wants a Special quicker than Aether.

Ruptured Sky is much better in my opinion. It scores the same but has lower cooldown and no positioning requirements.

To make the best use of Blue Flame, you will want to use it on a unit that utilizes Bonds and other skills requiring adjacency.

Ruptured Sky is usually better, but that's irrelevant if someone doesn't have access to it. Furthermore, on a unit that doesn't care about the lower cooldown on Ruptured Sky (such as Gwendolyn) and already wants to stick with their team (such as an armor on an Armor March team), Blue Flame is basically just free extra damage.

Just now, Othin said:

Ruptured Sky is usually better, but that's irrelevant if someone doesn't have access to it. Furthermore, on a unit that doesn't care about the lower cooldown on Ruptured Sky (such as Gwendolyn) and already wants to stick with their team (such as an armor on an Armor March team), Blue Flame is basically just free extra damage.

I rather just wait for Ruptured Sky to come than use Blue Flame, since Galeforce and Aether are still available as options. While I would not merge Owain personally either, I would save him for Wrath fodder.

I have not paid much attention to how common Guard is Arena, but Gwendolyn can still utilize a low cooldown Special to make sure she activates a Special even against an enemy with Guard.

47 minutes ago, XRay said:

I rather just wait for Ruptured Sky to come than use Blue Flame, since Galeforce and Aether are still available as options. While I would not merge Owain personally either, I would save him for Wrath fodder.

I have not paid much attention to how common Guard is Arena, but Gwendolyn can still utilize a low cooldown Special to make sure she activates a Special even against an enemy with Guard.

That's a terrible idea. For players who do little or no spending, waiting for Ruptured Sky could take years for even one copy, and even longer if you have any other units who'd like it as well. In the meantime, you're losing out on scoring and/or performance.

Wrath is a far more common skill. Ruptured Sky appears on just 2 units in the main 5* pool (Byleth F and Byleth M), while Wrath appears on 9 units: 5 in the main 5* pool (Owain, Osian, Rinkah, Shannan, and Byleth F), plus 2 revival units (Nephenee and Karla), 1 mythic (Sothis), and even 1 GHB unit if you're willing to go for that (Astram). Byleth F and Sothis might be less relevant, since they both have rarer skills that can't be fully inherited alongside Wrath, but even so, there's plenty of Wrath sources available. I do not think Wrath is in so much more demand than Blue Flame to be the bigger concern here. And you can inherit Wrath alongside Blue Flame, anyway. Gwendolyn even gets great use out of the combination!

I have not had issues with Guard. You could have Gwendolyn run Ruptured Sky over Blue Flame, but you shouldn't. It's not a good tradeoff.

Edited by Othin

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

That's a terrible idea. For players who do little or no spending, waiting for Ruptured Sky could take years for even one copy, and even longer if you have any other units who'd like it as well. In the meantime, you're losing out on scoring and/or performance.

Aether and Galeforce exist. Blue Flame is better than Aether for performance, but I do not think you need that much performance for Arena. Besides scoring modes, Blue Flame is not really usable anywhere else as every other Special outperforms it.

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

I do not think Wrath is in so much more demand than Blue Flame to be the bigger concern here. And you can inherit Wrath alongside Blue Flame, anyway. Gwendolyn even gets great use out of the combination!

That is true, Wrath is not in much high demand either, and you might as well get Blue Flame out of Owain while you are at it.

However, I would still prioritize Wrath over Blue Flame.

Is it a bad idea to keep characters' base skill sets? All my 5 star level 40 units (Thrasir, Sothis, B!Alm, B!Hector, Lysithea, Valter, Walhart, Gangrel, Iago and B!Edelgard) have their base kits and I think yeah this was a very dumb idea on my part actually

Like yeah everyone except the first 5 keeping their base sets is okay because I don't use them that much but the first 5 are on my Aether Raids defence team and I really think they need better skills (Alm doesn't even have all 3 of his base skills because I saw the bit about dealing damage to the user in his A skill and noped the hell out of getting him it because he's already depressingly frail as it is).

18 minutes ago, XRay said:

Aether and Galeforce exist. Blue Flame is better than Aether for performance, but I do not think you need that much performance for Arena. Besides scoring modes, Blue Flame is not really usable anywhere else as every other Special outperforms it.

That is true, Wrath is not in much high demand either, and you might as well get Blue Flame out of Owain while you are at it.

However, I would still prioritize Wrath over Blue Flame.

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish in the Arena. If you're already having an easy enough time getting what you want out of it, sure, who cares. On weeks where I'm not trying to pick up another crown, I don't get much benefit from having Blue Flame on Gwendolyn. But on weeks where I'm aiming for T21 and having to dig for specifically high-scoring fights, spending several arena crests per fight as a result, I sure don't want to be performing any worse than I have to. I only have so many crests, and they can go away fast, especially when I mess up a chain like that and have to start over. And I've found Blue Flame very valuable for my performance in making those chains successful, allowing Gwendolyn to take hits from foes like Legendary Alm and then OHKO them before they can get their follow up.

After my previous comment about the time it takes to wait for Ruptured Sky, I decided to do some math. When the current FE9 banner ends, main banners will have 96 units available in the off-focus 5* pool. (This excludes revival units, but includes Altena.) 2 of them have Ruptured Sky, so that's about 1 in 48 main banner off-focus 5*s, depending on the colors you pull. For simplicity, if we assume full summons (4 orbs per pull) and no pity rate (3% of pulls are off-focus 5*), getting 48 off-focus 5*s and therefore 1 copy of Ruptured Sky on average means about 6400 orbs worth of summoning. For comparison, there were 3965 free orbs available in 2019, so an average of about 330 per month. So getting 6400 free orbs takes about 19.4 months.

There's a lot of approximations here, of course. This model ignores free summons, but also assumes the player spends all their orbs on main banners, rather than other banners that might have lower or nonexistent chances of getting the skill in question. Or higher chances, if they're a focus. But for now, I think a decent way to ballpark the time needed for a F2P player to wait for a premium skill they aren't actively searching for is to divide 3 years by the number of main-pool units with the skill.

28 minutes ago, kuromiko said:

Is it a bad idea to keep characters' base skill sets? All my 5 star level 40 units (Thrasir, Sothis, B!Alm, B!Hector, Lysithea, Valter, Walhart, Gangrel, Iago and B!Edelgard) have their base kits and I think yeah this was a very dumb idea on my part actually

Like yeah everyone except the first 5 keeping their base sets is okay because I don't use them that much but the first 5 are on my Aether Raids defence team and I really think they need better skills (Alm doesn't even have all 3 of his base skills because I saw the bit about dealing damage to the user in his A skill and noped the hell out of getting him it because he's already depressingly frail as it is).

Recent rare units tend to start with strong skill sets on their own, but they always have at least one slot open, so you may as well at least fill that one. Although for an AR defense team, assists can be disadvantageous. But you can change or remove unwanted skills at any time. For that reason, I'd very much suggest having Alm learn his A skill and trying it out, getting like 13+ extra damage per hit is very powerful and well worth the damage he takes.

For units that start with weaker skill sets (such as the GHB units you listed - Valter, Walhart, Gangrel, and Iago), there's more room to improve them, so if you're interested in using them, I'd suggest trying out other skills. But there's no need to worry about building units you aren't using, of course.

My main suggestion is to experiment and try different things to see what works, while making sure to keep at least one copy of every unit you get, in case they turn out to have a use you hadn't anticipated.

53 minutes ago, kuromiko said:

Is it a bad idea to keep characters' base skill sets?

Depends on the unit and depends on what mode you use them in.

57 minutes ago, kuromiko said:

Thrasir

She is fine as is for Aether Raids defense, but I would also give her Swift Sparrow Sacred Seal. I would not give her a positioning Assist though as @Othin mentioned, since the AI can do some pretty dumb stuff with those. You can give her Harsh Command or any non-positioning Assists though to make your defense team a little more aggressive.

1 hour ago, kuromiko said:

Sothis

Same as Thrasir, but you can replace her A with a different skill if you wish.

B!Alm

2 hours ago, kuromiko said:

Alm doesn't even have all 3 of his base skills because I saw the bit about dealing damage to the user in his A skill and noped the hell out of getting him it because he's already depressingly frail as it is

I would keep BE!Alm's A skill, but I would swap out Dracofalchion for Brave Sword. Gameplay in Heroes is not like the main series, and recoil damage is extremely beneficial in Heroes. The AI and the player have two different victory requirements. Unlike the player who needs to win with everyone alive, the AI does not care about losing units as long as they beat the player or inflict a certain amount of damage.

Most player phase units do NOT want high HP because they want to activate Desperation quickly and Wings of Mercy on allies. For the AI, I would not bother with Desperation since it is not good at using it, but the AI can use Wings of Mercy to great effect.

BE!Alm
+Atk
Brave Sword
(Non-Positioning Assist; Optional)
Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
Scendscale
Special Spiral — Lull Spd/Def
Time's Pulse
Death Blow — Fury (not yet released)

B!Hector

I am not a fan of using armor units on defense since they are really slow movement wise, so it is easy for the player on offense to pick off the rest of your team while the armor is still in the back trying to get to the front lines.

Lysithea

Similar to Thrasir and Sothis, she is fine as is for Aether Raids defense. Just give her Swift Sparrow or Death Blow Sacred Seal.

Valter

I am going to assume he is going to be used as a player phase unit. He can be a decent Galeforce unit.

Galeforce:
+Spd
Cursed Lance
Galeforce
Reposition
(Any A that boosts Atk/Spd)
Desperation
(Any C)
Heavy Blade

Walhart

He kind of sucks since he does not have guaranteed follow-up attack on his Weapon. If you want to actually use him, I would get rid of his default Weapon and turn him into a Def tank.

Def Tank:
+Def
Guard Axe — Rearguard — Deck Swabber — Huge Fan — Legion's Axe
(Any Assist)
Moonbow (if foes does not double him consistently) — Bonfire (if foes double him consistently)
Sturdy Stance — Atk/Def Unity
Lull Atk/Def — Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Quick Riposte — Sturdy Stance

Gangrel

If you want him to stick with his Weapon, he is best on an Infantry Pulse team.

Infantry Pulse
+Atk
Levin Dagger
Iceberg — Glacies
Mirror Impact
Lull Spd/Def
Time's Pulse — (Any C)
Mirror Impact — Quickened Pulse

If you want to use him yourself, you can use him as a player phase unit.

Player Phase:
+Spd
Barbed Shuriken [Spd] — Levin Dagger
Reposition
Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
Desperation
(Any C)
(Any Sacred Seal that boosts Atk/Spd)

Iago

As a support unit, he can either specialize in comparing HP or Res, or he can do a mix of both.

HP comparison debuffing:
+HP
Iago's Tome
(Any Positioning Assist)
(Any Special) Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
HP+5
(Any Pulse Ties)
(Any C) — Panic Ploy
HP+5

Res comparison debuffing:
+Res
Iago's Tome
(Any Positioning Assist)
(Any Special) — Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
Fort Def/Res
(Any Sabotage)
(Any C) — (Any Ploys)
Fortress Res

HP/Res comparison debuffing:
+HP/Res
Iago's Tome
(Any Positioning Assist)
HP/Res
(Any Sabotage)
(Any C) — (Any Ploys)
HP/Res

2 hours ago, kuromiko said:

B!Edelgard

I would use her as a player phase Galeforcer due to her outstanding mobility:
+Atk
Flower Hauteclere
Reposition
Galeforce
Death Blow
Black Eagle Rule
(Any C) — Atk Smoke
Heavy Blade

She can also be a dual phase unit:
+Atk/Res
Flower Hauteclere
Reposition — Swap
Bonfire — Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
Distant Counter — Atk/Def Solo — Atk/Res Solo
Black Eagle Rule
(Any C) — Atk Smoke — Panic Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Heavy Blade — Quick Riposte — Atk/Def Solo (not yet released) — Atk/Res Solo (not yet released)

2 hours ago, XRay said:

I would keep BE!Alm's A skill, but I would swap out Dracofalchion for Brave Sword. Gameplay in Heroes is not like the main series, and recoil damage is extremely beneficial in Heroes. The AI and the player have two different victory requirements. Unlike the player who needs to win with everyone alive, the AI does not care about losing units as long as they beat the player or inflict a certain amount of damage.

Most player phase units do NOT want high HP because they want to activate Desperation quickly and Wings of Mercy on allies. For the AI, I would not bother with Desperation since it is not good at using it, but the AI can use Wings of Mercy to great effect.

BE!Alm
+Atk
Brave Sword
Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
Scendscale
Special Spiral — Lull Spd/Def
Time's Pulse
Death Blow — Fury (not yet released)

I am not a fan of using armor units on defense since they are really slow movement wise, so it is easy for the player on offense to pick off the rest of your team while the armor is still in the back trying to get to the front lines.

Similar to Thrasir and Sothis, she is fine as is for Aether Raids defense. Just give her Swift Sparrow or Death Blow Sacred Seal.

I am going to assume he is going to be used as a player phase unit. He can be a decent Galeforce unit.

Galeforce:
+Spd
Cursed Lance
Galeforce
Reposition
Desperation
(Any C)
Heavy Blade

He kind of sucks since he does not have guaranteed follow-up attack on his Weapon. If you want to actually use him, I would get rid of his default Weapon and turn him into a Def tank.

Def Tank:
+Def
Guard Axe — Rearguard — Deck Swabber — Huge Fan — Legion's Axe
(Any Assist)
Moonbow (if foes does not double him consistently) — Bonfire (if foes double him consistently)
Sturdy Stance — Atk/Def Unity
Lull Atk/Def — Quick Riposte
(Any C)
Quick Riposte — Sturdy Stance

If you want him to stick with his Weapon, he is best on an Infantry Pulse team.

Infantry Pulse
+Atk
Levin Dagger
Iceberg — Glacies
Mirror Impact
Lull Spd/Def
Time's Pulse — (Any C)
Mirror Impact — Quickened Pulse

If you want to use him yourself, you can use him as a player phase unit.

Player Phase:
+Spd
Barbed Shuriken [Spd] — Levin Dagger
Reposition
Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
Desperation
(Any C)
(Any Sacred Seal that boosts Atk/Spd)

As a support unit, he can either specialize in comparing HP or Res, or he can do a mix of both.

HP comparison debuffing:
+HP
Iago's Tome
(Any Positioning Assist)
(Any Special) Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
HP+5
(Any Pulse Ties)
(Any C) — Panic Ploy
HP+5

Res comparison debuffing:
+Res
Iago's Tome
(Any Positioning Assist)
Fort Def/Res
(Any Sabotage)
(Any C) — (Any Ploys)
Fortress Res

HP/Res comparison debuffing:
+HP/Res
Iago's Tome
(Any Positioning Assist)
HP/Res
(Any Sabotage)
(Any C) — (Any Ploys)
HP/Res

I would use her as a player phase Galeforcer due to her outstanding mobility:
+Atk
Flower Hauteclere
Reposition
Galeforce
Death Blow
Black Eagle Rule
(Any C) — Atk Smoke
Heavy Blade

She can also be a dual phase unit:
+Atk/Res
Flower Hauteclere
Reposition — Swap
Bonfire — Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
Distant Counter — Atk/Def Solo — Atk/Res Solo
Black Eagle Rule
(Any C) — Atk Smoke — Panic Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Heavy Blade — Quick Riposte — Atk/Def Solo (not yet released) — Atk/Res Solo (not yet released)

I suggest ignoring any aspect of this that looks inconvenient. Building units on this level is generally more trouble than it's worth, especially if you're just starting out.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

I suggest ignoring any aspect of this that looks inconvenient. Building units on this level is generally more trouble than it's worth, especially if you're just starting out.

I do not think it is that troublesome. I think offered one affordable build for each unit for most units.

20 minutes ago, XRay said:

I do not think it is that troublesome. I think offered one affordable build for each unit for most units.

Fair enough. Still, price is relative. Even a few specific 4* skills and 20k feathers for a weapon or Galeforce can be a steep price to pay for a new player. I think it's better for them to focus on getting a variety of units with decent builds and learning to use those effectively than on replacing perfectly good skills on units that don't need help.

I'm building Ilyana with plans to +10 her but I'm a little stumped in how to build her considering she's pretty flexible. So far I've just slapped some random stuff that I had lying around (and a +Spd Gatrie I got along the way) and have this:

5tE5ho5.jpg

The Rally+ and Sol (just a step stone towards Aether) are for arena purposes, she'll be using Iceberg/Glacies for most builds. Drive Atk 2 is another incomplete line that'll end with Joint Drive Atk. 

What I'm mostly stuck around is what to do with her weapon/A-slot/B-slot. Fort. Def/Res and Sabotage Spd make for a great support build considering Ilyana's gargantuan Res stat but that makes Blárfox kind of a waste as a support unit would focus more on Enemy Phase than Player Phase. If I were to make the most out of the Fox tome then I'd be better to go with something like Fury 4+Desperation/NFU but I already have F!Delthea to cover that kind of role. 

TL,DR: What tome should I give Ilyana for an EP build (excluding Serpent as I don't plan to fodder F!Morgan) and what non-Desp build could work to make the most out of her Fox tome?

32 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

TL,DR: What tome should I give Ilyana for an EP build (excluding Serpent as I don't plan to fodder F!Morgan) and what non-Desp build could work to make the most out of her Fox tome?

Fox tomes kind of suck in my opinion, even for player phase. Blade tomes give 4 or 6 less Spd but gives huge amount of Atk.

If you do not want to invest in enemy phase with Serpent tomes nor player phase with Desperation, you can try dual phase with Counter-Vantage. It is expensive though since it requires Close Counter, but other skills in the set does not require anything else that is too expensive.

1 hour ago, Alexmender said:

What I'm mostly stuck around is what to do with her weapon/A-slot/B-slot. Fort. Def/Res and Sabotage Spd make for a great support build considering Ilyana's gargantuan Res stat but that makes Blárfox kind of a waste as a support unit would focus more on Enemy Phase than Player Phase. If I were to make the most out of the Fox tome then I'd be better to go with something like Fury 4+Desperation/NFU but I already have F!Delthea to cover that kind of role. 

I don't think there's much of anything good to do with a Fox tome, Blade tomes are so much better and they're easily accessible.

For non-Serpent enemy phase, I'd suggest Blarraven. Raven tomes can go nicely on support units, since they tend to only want to fight at WTA.

Alternatively, you could use a support weapon to further play up that aspect of her role. Those are all seasonal weapons, but Silver Goblet and Flora Guide are the strongest ones and they could be more accessible. Personally I wouldn't go for them, especially since I've thought a few times about merging Rinea, but your priorities might be different.

Edited by Othin

6 hours ago, Othin said:

Alternatively, you could use a support weapon to further play up that aspect of her role. Those are all seasonal weapons, but Silver Goblet and Flora Guide are the strongest ones and they could be more accessible. Personally I wouldn't go for them, especially since I've thought a few times about merging Rinea, but your priorities might be different.

So you're arguing against Flora Guide? Asking as I have a Summer!Lute lying around that could be good for Ilyana.

Alright, so I've got a big pile of 5* units sitting in my manual pile that I'd like to start using because it's getting a bit silly as it stands. I'll go and list them, just looking for general recommendations because I have a lot of units to pick from.

1: Does anyone think they'll increase the number of skills to inherit? I do think it's about time they should, but honestly I doubt it.

2: Just an aside, which divine code path do people recommend? I've cleared Heroes and am just wondering which would be better between Archanea or Tellius.

Manuals:

Spoiler

Alm (Windsweep, can't think of much use beyond Byleth)

BKhorm (Aether, Chill Def, Sword Valor)

Bunny!Palla (Pegasus Carrot, Swift Sparrow 2, Disarm Trap, Hone Fliers)

HS!Ryoma (It's Curtains...., Atk/Def Solo, Chill Spd, Odd Def Wave)

Selkie (Atk/Spd Bond, Sabotage Atk, Even Res Wave)

Adrift!M!Corrin (Atk/Def Bond, Null Followup, Hone Dragons)

NY!Ryoma (Sky Maiougi, Chill Def)

Summer!Lute (Flora Guide, Spd Tactic)

Linus (Brazen Atk/Spd)

Edelgard (Atk/Def Solo, Atk/Def Rouse)

Hector (DC)

NY!Fjorm (Kabura Ya, Atk/Spd Bond, Atk/Spd Link, Even Res Wave)

Summer!Laevateinn (Buoyboard, Mirror Impact, Def/Res Link, Odd Atk Wave)

Takumi (CC)

Kinoka (Atk/Spd Bond, Filer Formation/Guidance)

Bunnero (Lethal Carrot, Spd/Res Bond, Live for Bounty)

Other fodder:

Spoiler

Caineghis (DD4, Vengeful Fighter, Distant Def) (Would it be worth merging onto my base one?)

Loki (C Duel Inf, Odd Atk Wave, Restore+)

Dimitiri (DB4, Lull Atk/Def)

Bravica (Galeforce, DB4)

M!Byleth (DC, Chill Spd, Odd Spd Wave)

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

So you're arguing against Flora Guide? Asking as I have a Summer!Lute lying around that could be good for Ilyana.

Alright, so I've got a big pile of 5* units sitting in my manual pile that I'd like to start using because it's getting a bit silly as it stands. I'll go and list them, just looking for general recommendations because I have a lot of units to pick from.

1: Does anyone think they'll increase the number of skills to inherit? I do think it's about time they should, but honestly I doubt it.

2: Just an aside, which divine code path do people recommend? I've cleared Heroes and am just wondering which would be better between Archanea or Tellius.

Manuals:

Reveal hidden contents

Alm (Windsweep, can't think of much use beyond Byleth)

BKhorm (Aether, Chill Def, Sword Valor)

Bunny!Palla (Pegasus Carrot, Swift Sparrow 2, Disarm Trap, Hone Fliers)

HS!Ryoma (It's Curtains...., Atk/Def Solo, Chill Spd, Odd Def Wave)

Selkie (Atk/Spd Bond, Sabotage Atk, Even Res Wave)

Adrift!M!Corrin (Atk/Def Bond, Null Followup, Hone Dragons)

NY!Ryoma (Sky Maiougi, Chill Def)

Summer!Lute (Flora Guide, Spd Tactic)

Linus (Brazen Atk/Spd)

Edelgard (Atk/Def Solo, Atk/Def Rouse)

Hector (DC)

NY!Fjorm (Kabura Ya, Atk/Spd Bond, Atk/Spd Link, Even Res Wave)

Summer!Laevateinn (Buoyboard, Mirror Impact, Def/Res Link, Odd Atk Wave)

Takumi (CC)

Kinoka (Atk/Spd Bond, Filer Formation/Guidance)

Bunnero (Lethal Carrot, Spd/Res Bond, Live for Bounty)

Other fodder:

Reveal hidden contents

Caineghis (DD4, Vengeful Fighter, Distant Def) (Would it be worth merging onto my base one?)

Loki (C Duel Inf, Odd Atk Wave, Restore+)

Dimitiri (DB4, Lull Atk/Def)

Bravica (Galeforce, DB4)

M!Byleth (DC, Chill Spd, Odd Spd Wave)

I'm not arguing against it, just saying it doesn't fit my personal playstyle. If you have a Summer Lute you wouldn't mind sacrificing, that works perfectly. 

Go for whatever manuals have the skills you need. Don't worry about completing entire paths unless you have a plan for the final manual, I'm partway through several.