"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Far less than I should be playing it. I've been really bad at optimising for ages now - I barely hand out Dragonflowers, I probably haven't set an Ally Support for over a year, and my Summoner Support is on a unit I don't even use anymore (Bowlyn).

The reasonable approach would be doing it once a day for my 4-star units at least to take advantage of the first-time bonus, it can be tricky to clear the maps with them otherwise.

I caught up on my Heroic Ordeals a while ago, but I've fallen behind lately. I'll have to catch back up sometime.

Haven't been using many dragonflowers either, so it hasn't mattered.

Need help deciding what divine code path to go for first, It will really come down to those damage reduction skills. So my question is, would this Itsuki benefit from one? Or is that 39 speed to low to really make use of it? (Still missing 2 merges on my actual copy of him, but I should reach those by the time I can atleast reach the Say'ri manual)

AAaraGAABjqs.jpg

Edited by Faellin

11 minutes ago, Faellin said:

Need help deciding what divine code path to go for first, It will really come down to those damage reduction skills. So my question is, would this Itsuki benefit from one? Or is that 39 speed to low to really make use of it? (Still missing 2 merges on my actual copy of him, but I should reach those by the time I can atleast reach the Say'ri manual)

AAaraGAABjqs.jpg

Itsuki doesn't seem like a great evasion user to me, unless you're planning on dumping further buffs on him from teammates like Peony. And there's not much need if he's already got a perfectly good Lull skill.

On that build, the special and C slots seem like the ones to try to improve, to me. Although for the C slot that wouldn't take something rare, just Noontime or Moonbow.

Edited by Othin

curious, what do you guys do with units you don't use? i have stuff like dream princess corrin, surtr, kliff, nils, purgatorial prince berkut, red bow igrene, zelgius, to name a few; they're cool, but once you have a few teams to play with, do you guys develop all your 5* units? plus some of these older units, like sword Lyn, i hear have not aged well. do you turn any of them to feathers?

2 minutes ago, Sil/phire said:

curious, what do you guys do with units you don't use? i have stuff like dream princess corrin, surtr, kliff, nils, purgatorial prince berkut, red bow igrene, zelgius, to name a few; they're cool, but once you have a few teams to play with, do you guys develop all your 5* units? plus some of these older units, like sword Lyn, i hear have not aged well. do you turn any of them to feathers?

If they're not clogging up your barracks too much they can be used for different content like Arena Assault and the Limited Hero Battles. Also for Hero Merit feathers. The only one from what you listed off which is probably not worth your time is Lyn. Igrene and Kliff have some good skills for inheritance, so at least manual them.

20 minutes ago, Sil/phire said:

I train up and keep a 5* level 40 copy of every unit I get, and I generally try to get their Heroic Ordeals dragonflowers and some Hero Merit feathers. I don't necessarily build them beyond that, but more options are always better. I also take a collector's perspective, so just having them in my barracks is a major objective in itself.

I don't think I've turned any units into feathers since the introduction of combat manuals. I've never turned a 5* unit into feathers, the feather gain is too tiny to be worthwhile.

Surtr, Nils, and Igrene are all plenty good units and I use all of them from time to time. Surtr mostly for Arena Assault, Igrene mostly for Limited Hero Battles, and Nils is on my AR-D Dark team as Infantry Pulse support.

Edited by Othin

23 minutes ago, Sil/phire said:

I have to admit mostly nothing. I get the shiny new unit, level them to 40 in a Forging Bonds event or somesuch, then never touch them again. I stopped building units about a year ago and have been content to use those units instead of learning how to effectively deploy the increasingly complex new units. For a lot of them I don't even know what they do. I expanded my barracks gradually during the pre-manual days, so with 690 barracks slots it's no real bother.

29 minutes ago, Sil/phire said:

I mostly limit myself to using the units I +10 (though a few of them have fallen from use a bit) and a lot of the more recent powerful units released. I'm also a bit of a unit collector, and as a result my 600-high barracks are absolutely filled.

To put it simply... nothing. Back in the day it was clear I tried to build some of them to some extent, but otherwise I just don't touch them.

17 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Not running Desperation in the B slot has its own benefits that you're conveniently ignoring, such as the ability to shut down bonuses with Lull skills or increase both your damage and bulk with Spurn as well as the ability to charge your Special on the opponent's counterattack.

Nukes can already kill most enemies, regardless of whether or not enemies are running bonus buffs. As I have mentioned before, it is not killing things that is the problem for most nukes, it is getting to places where they need to be, and high bulk is incompatible with Wings of Mercy. You can make things work without Wings of Mercy, but I think most players agree that Wings of Mercy makes things far easier.

"Strong" and "stronger" are not the same thing. Whether or not old units are strong is not the issue here. It's whether or not they're stronger than more recent units, and in general, that is simply not the case.

Tharja, Nino, Eliwood, BH!Roy, Elincia, Caeda, Cordelia, Clair, and Raven are all still competitive player phase units. Ogma and Navarre can Galeforce without using Heavy Blade/Flashing Blade Sacred Seal. White Wings are unmatched for Røkkr Sieges. Outside of player phase units, BH!Ike still dominates enemy phase in Aether Raids. Arden is stupidly strong. M!Corrin and BH!Lucina are only rivalled by Flayn. Virion is the best Panic inflicter and Arvis got unconditional super Ploy. That is 14 player phase units, 1 enemy phase, 1 dual phase, and 4 supports. That is more than just a handful of units.

Not running Desperation in the B slot has its own benefits that you're conveniently ignoring, such as the ability to shut down bonuses with Lull skills or increase both your damage and bulk with Spurn as well as the ability to charge your Special on the opponent's counterattack.

Most nukes can already deal enough damage to brute force past bonus buffs, and bonus buffs are not super common outside of Arena. Dealing damage is not the issue for most nukes.

Desperation means you are infinitely bulky since enemies cannot hit you in the first place. Low HP also gives you better mobility via Wings of Mercy. If you are really concerned about damage output, low HP also gives you access to Brazen Atk/Spd 4, the strongest stat boost in the game.

16 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I'm looking for an alternative nuke to my Male Morgan, who of the newer units would make a decent player phase nuke?  I'm looking for a tome unit, I think.

13 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I have pretty much all of them save Marianne for obvious reasons.  I basically need Fury/Desperation combo that's more recent than Morgan so the stats are higher.  The aim is for a WoM beacon if that helps narrow it down some.

If you just need more Atk, then just giving him Rauðrblade should do.

If you need more Spd or some form of guaranteed follow up Atk, then yeah, you might need to change to a faster unit or someone with guaranteed follow-ups.

As for Wings of Mercy, if you want to land the whole team into the right HP range quickly, Líf: Undying Ties Duo is probably your best bet since he also got guaranteed follow up attacks. He can run Fury-Desperation to get himself into Wings of Mercy range, and his recoil splash damage will land his allies into Desperation range; and if those allies have Fury, they will also get into Wings of Mercy range after one round of combat (most units have less than 50 HP, so 26 total recoil damage should land most of them under half health).

I personally lean towards Líf: Undying Ties Duo since that is what you have on hand, and he can turn anyone near him into a beacon.

1 hour ago, Sil/phire said:

I save them in case I need to use them for Limited Hero Battles and Resonant Battles. I try to build everyone, but I get lazy.

For Dancers/Singers specifically, I personally use all of mine for Arena Assault. I generally use around 11 Dancers/Singers for each weekly run.

Lyn is still decent. Her Refinement essentially gives her "infinite Spd", as she will double most units with Brash Assault, and slow units that cancels her Brash Assault with Wary Fighter effects are usually not fast enough win the Spd check. She does not hit particularly hard though, but that can be desirable for a Galeforce unit.

With the free Lyn from AHR, i'm wondering who the best recipient for that fodder would be. Already have another copy I actually use sometimes, so its not like its going to waste.

The 2 I have who I feel would immediately benefit from that SS3 and rein fodder are:

Bow Hinoka, merged up to +4, refined, and one of my most used units in general. That rein skill would go so well with her refine so i'm leaning more towards her.

Seteth, a current merge project of mine. At +5 already. And another unit I use regularly. But I already sacked a valentia Catria for him for that bond 4 and aerobatics skill. So he already has a functional ability set going for him. Its just these 2 skill would overall be better for him it looks like.

15 minutes ago, Faellin said:

Bow Hinoka, merged up to +4, refined, and one of my most used units in general. That rein skill would go so well with her refine so i'm leaning more towards her.

Seteth, a current merge project of mine. At +5 already. And another unit I use regularly. But I already sacked a valentia Catria for him for that bond 4 and aerobatics skill. So he already has a functional ability set going for him. Its just these 2 skill would overall be better for him it looks like.

I would have said Seteth due to the ease in merging him, but if you already gave him Atk/Spd Bond 4, I think it's more worth your resources to give the skills to Hinoka instead.

20 minutes ago, XRay said:

Nukes can already kill most enemies, regardless of whether or not enemies are running bonus buffs.

23 minutes ago, XRay said:

Most nukes can already deal enough damage to brute force past bonus buffs, and bonus buffs are not super common outside of Arena. Dealing damage is not the issue for most nukes.

Being able to kill "most" enemies is not enough.

I've run into situations where my nukes simply have no chance. Most recently, this was an Aether Raids map with 5 armors covered by Henriette, who flat out took zero in-combat damage from Ophelia and would kill Ophelia on the counterattack. Mjolnir Strikes has also gotten to the point where Ophelia can potentially fail to kill more recent blue and colorless units and severely struggles against green tome units.

As a reminder, my Ophelia is fully maxed out (merges, Dragonflowers, skills, everything), and Ophelia is still the gold standard for AoE spam, as a maxed out Lilina will only begin to out-damage Ophelia above 47 visible Res and is more vulnerable to Evasion skills.

Your ideal of an all-powerful nuke that has perfect combat performance all of the time doesn't exist.

26 minutes ago, XRay said:

You can make things work without Wings of Mercy, but I think most players agree that Wings of Mercy makes things far easier.

I'm not "making things work" without Wings of Mercy. Most of the dancers I use don't even have the skill anymore outside of Resonant Battles. It's not hard to forgo the skill outside of Galeforce strategies.

I still think you've spent too long using Wings of Mercy as a crutch.

30 minutes ago, XRay said:

That is 14 player phase units, 1 enemy phase, 1 dual phase, and 4 supports. That is more than just a handful of units.

On the contrary, that really is still just a handful of units when you consider that the game now has 637 different units and is getting new units at a rate of about 140 a year. Those 20 are still outliers.

Furthermore, you've noticeably not bothered to refute or concede the fact that older units all require more resources to build to the point where they are competitive, as they typically need merges and/or Dragonflowers to compete in stats, Dew to refine their weapons, and usually require their entire skill set to be inherited from scratch. In contrast, most new units are capable of functioning at a comparable level with no merges, no Dragonflowers, and with minimal skill inheritance.

33 minutes ago, XRay said:

Desperation means you are infinitely bulky since enemies cannot hit you in the first place.

You are only infinitely bulky if you can guarantee that the opponent will die in one round of combat. That is no longer always the case.

44 minutes ago, XRay said:

low HP also gives you access to Brazen Atk/Spd 4, the strongest stat boost in the game.

The drawback of Brazen skills is that they are worth jack squat on your first round of combat unless you can damage your own units beforehand with one of the Lifs or you have a convenient Bolt Trap to step on.

16 minutes ago, Faellin said:

With the free Lyn from AHR, i'm wondering who the best recipient for that fodder would be. Already have another copy I actually use sometimes, so its not like its going to waste.

The Kinshi Hinoka you have would benefit greatly from it. A debuff of Spd/Def -8 in addition to the boost she gets from being near allies is simply massive, and even if you switch her to a Firesweep Bow she still gets a boost in the stats that a Firesweep unit wants the foe to have be as low as possible. Same with a Brave Bow build.
Generally speaking, most physical damaging Fliers will benefit greatly from it. Cordelia is probably one of the best 4* options available for it, though she may have a harder time triggering Galeforce with it equipped. Seteth is of course another potent option, though I do not speak from experience in using him so I can only guess.
Swift Sparrow 3 is an added bonus, though you will need the proper fodder to get it and SD Rein... unfortunately, it is not a 4* skill on anyone yet (despite so many units having it), so your next best bet would be to wait to summon Brave Lyn, Ayra, Pale Flower Nino, Katarina, Sue, Ishtar, or Anamnesis Eirika from 4* Special Summons (alternatively, you get a free Anamnesis Eirika from the Heroes Path quests), promoting one of the Grail units who has it (Naesala, Felix), or grabbing it using Divine Codes (Tanith has it on the PoR/RD path without having much else in terms of "valuable fodder")

When I first start the game (around 1.5 month ago), there was a thing called Formula Soul & near end of hall of forms event(we can't battle anymore to gain skills, just choose 1 of 4 heroes) .I didn't know anything about it yet & use formula soul to summon Spring Princess Veronica without training & come with basic skill... uh oh ... I wonder if she's a good unit

Edited by Hasechi

I wasted all of my orbs trying to, and finally get Claude. I haven't ever used any of my trait fruits and wonder if it would be worth it to change him from plus HP to plus speed. Any thoughts? I would have another trait fruit cache probably by the end of April since I haven't been using them at all.

8 hours ago, Faellin said:

The 2 I have who I feel would immediately benefit from that SS3 and rein fodder are:

I also lean towards WOF!Hinoka as well. Brave Bow and Firesweep Bow would greatly appreciate that C skill.

Seteth is pretty meh in my opinion, and he already comes with Brazen Atk/Spd.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Being able to kill "most" enemies is not enough.

I've run into situations where my nukes simply have no chance. Most recently, this was an Aether Raids map with 5 armors covered by Henriette, who flat out took zero in-combat damage from Ophelia and would kill Ophelia on the counterattack. Mjolnir Strikes has also gotten to the point where Ophelia can potentially fail to kill more recent blue and colorless units and severely struggles against green tome units.

As a reminder, my Ophelia is fully maxed out (merges, Dragonflowers, skills, everything), and Ophelia is still the gold standard for AoE spam, as a maxed out Lilina will only begin to out-damage Ophelia above 47 visible Res and is more vulnerable to Evasion skills.

Your ideal of an all-powerful nuke that has perfect combat performance all of the time doesn't exist.

Most enemies as a standard is more than good enough. I advocated for having a nuke solo PvE content, not Aether Raids. Unlike in PvE, you cannot have a nuke solo Aether Raids as there is too much build diversity, especially the obnoxious ones. In Aether Raids, you always want at least two different types of nukes, and I personally ran three.

For Abyssal content, most nukes (at least the Blade mages) are more than capable of soloing most old Abyssals, and they should be able to tackle a decent amount of modern Abyssals too.

On the contrary, that really is still just a handful of units when you consider that the game now has 637 different units and is getting new units at a rate of about 140 a year. Those 20 are still outliers.

20 represents a significant portion of first years' 140 or so units. What we discussed was whether gen I as a group is competitive. I would argue gen I is still pretty competitive with 20 out of 140 being top-of-the-line or near-top-of-the-line units.

Furthermore, you've noticeably not bothered to refute or concede the fact that older units all require more resources to build to the point where they are competitive, as they typically need merges and/or Dragonflowers to compete in stats, Dew to refine their weapons, and usually require their entire skill set to be inherited from scratch. In contrast, most new units are capable of functioning at a comparable level with no merges, no Dragonflowers, and with minimal skill inheritance.

They require more resources, but generally not the same resources.

New units are more financially demanding and require significant Orb expenditure to obtain, and not all of them can be guaranteed summon with 135 Orbs. Old units technically cost Orbs too, but they are much cheaper in that you do not have to specifically spend Orbs on them as summoning units in general will give you old units automatically.

New units have very little need for Feathers since most of them are already 5* exclusive. They have very little need for Flowers since they simply cannot take stomach that much. They have no use for Dew. New units require no less skill inheritance than old units, and the cost of Skill Inheritance is not that much greater for old player phase units (Fury, Brazen, Life and Death, Desperation, etc. are pretty cheap).

New units and old units do not have a lot of resource overlap, and when they do, it is not a huge issue (2,000 Feathers for Skill Inheritance is nothing; Flowers are more important for super tanks, and they are less necessary for regular tanks as Resplendent stats becomes more common; Fury, Brazen, Life and Death, Desperation, etc. are plentiful).

You are only infinitely bulky if you can guarantee that the opponent will die in one round of combat. That is no longer always the case.

For Abyssal, that is still the case.

For Aether Raids, that is still the case for against most enemies as long as you bring a variety of nukes; for defense teams that specialize in bulk and enemy phase a lot, their player phase is going to be shit so you can just enemy phase them in return your super tank.

The drawback of Brazen skills is that they are worth jack squat on your first round of combat unless you can damage your own units beforehand with one of the Lifs or you have a convenient Bolt Trap to step on.

For Abyssal, you can often eat a counter attack, or failing that, just use the nuke on enemy phase to bait. Abyssal enemies do hit hard, but not so hard to the point where it is impossible to find someone to eat a counter attack or bait from.

5 hours ago, Hasechi said:

When I first start the game (around 1.5 month ago), there was a thing called Formula Soul & near end of hall of forms event(we can't battle anymore to gain skills, just choose 1 of 4 heroes) .I didn't know anything about it yet & use formula soul to summon Spring Princess Veronica without training & come with basic skill... uh oh ... I wonder if she's a good unit

In my opinion, the best Heroes to use a Forma Soul on should ideally be both rare (Grail Heroes, Special Heroes, Mythic Heroes, etc.) and powerful (really strong combat or support performance). Veronica: Spring Princess is rare, but she is not really powerful.

27 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

I wasted all of my orbs trying to, and finally get Claude. I haven't ever used any of my trait fruits and wonder if it would be worth it to change him from plus HP to plus speed. Any thoughts? I would have another trait fruit cache probably by the end of April since I haven't been using them at all.

If you plan to get more KOU!Claudes in the future, then I do not recommend using a Trait Fruit.

Edited by XRay

Before I give F!Corrin her last merge, I wanted to ask if it's worth switching to +Atk from +Spd? I'm of the mindset that you can always offset a lower attack stat with a special when you have a choice between +Atk/+Spd and the unit is decently fast. Not building her specifically for anything, I just like her weapon's refined effect so most likely she's going to be fielded in AA and/or Limited Hero Battles.

Edited by Flying Shogi

Just now, Flying Shogi said:

Before I give F!Corrin her last merge, is it objectively better to switch to +Atk from +Spd? I'm of the mindset that you can always offset a lower attack stat with a special when you have a choice between +Atk/+Spd and the unit is decently fast. Not building her specifically for anything, I just like her weapon's refined effect so most likely she's going to be fielded in AA and/or  Limited Hero Battles.

I lean towards +Atk. Her Atk is a bit better than Caeda's, but it is still pathetic, and she also got a super Asset in Atk. If you are just using her PvE, then Spd is not a huge issue since enemies are not that fast.

29 minutes ago, XRay said:

In my opinion, the best Heroes to use a Forma Soul on should ideally be both rare (Grail Heroes, Special Heroes, Mythic Heroes, etc.) and powerful (really strong combat or support performance). Veronica: Spring Princess is rare, but she is not really powerful.

Is there a way return Veronica & get Formula Soul back ^^

Edited by Hasechi

Just now, Hasechi said:

Is there a way return Veronica & get Formula Soul back ^^

Unfortunately, there is no way to do that.