"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

28 minutes ago, Hasechi said:

So Special cooldown charge + is a good thing for our units, and Special cooldown charge - is a bad thing.

Also I want to ask, is it worth to summoning Bramimond? He's dark blessing, that means he will stay in defense team. But Reginn or any Galeforce Cavalry can just 1 shot him and leave even he equipped with Close Counter right ? Ah I forgot about other unit with Close Save could cover him , Close Save is so annoying

1. Yes.

2. Defense teams aren't a priority, and he isn't especially good on them.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would Triandra be worth pulling for in may on her next rerun? I'm currently lacking in dark mythics, only having Sothis who honestly hasn't aged very well. And will definitely be pulling for Bramimond in june on his next rerun due to sharing with Leif and Alm, both being ones I could use.

But at the same time her being dark, and lining up seasons with Mila it makes her extremely suseptable to isolation. So I was kind of on the fence about her. Since I currently run dancer Eldigan as a dark season defense dancer, due to his absurd defense and hp basically making him immune to being Mila'd

And how does she perform in general non AR content as well? I typically don't like pulling for mythics if the only thing they are good at is AR. So if she is useless outside of that mode, i'll probably skip on her.

Edited by Faellin

1 hour ago, Faellin said:

Would Triandra be worth pulling for in may on her next rerun? I'm currently lacking in dark mythics, only having Sothis who honestly hasn't aged very well. And will definitely be pulling for Bramimond in june on his next rerun due to sharing with Leif and Alm, both being ones I could use.

But at the same time her being dark, and lining up seasons with Mila it makes her extremely suseptable to isolation. So I was kind of on the fence about her. Since I currently run dancer Eldigan as a dark season defense dancer, due to his absurd defense and hp basically making him immune to being Mila'd

And how does she perform in general non AR content as well? I typically don't like pulling for mythics if the only thing they are good at is AR. So if she is useless outside of that mode, i'll probably skip on her.

She is still a Dancer/Singer, so she is good almost everywhere. I personally use a lot of Dancers/Singers in Arena Assault. Triandra can also inflict Guard, so it is very useful in Røkkr Sieges.

For Aether Raids, she provides Spd, so that is extremely important for units running Spurn. If you got the dough to run 6 Spd Mythics, you can put someone like BH!Ike (or SK!Dimitri during Water Season) on your team and give him Noontime so he is extremely hard to kill. If you are running this setup, it is probably better to use mostly Yunes with one or two Triandras instead since you can box Yune off in the back and have her debuff from a distance and when SK!Dimitri had low HP, Triandra can warp to him to either attack or Dance/Sing him.

Edited by XRay

10 minutes ago, XRay said:

She is still a Dancer/Singer, so she is good almost everywhere. I personally use a lot of Dancers/Singers in Arena Assault. Triandra can also inflict Guard, so it is very useful in Røkkr Sieges.

For Aether Raids, she provides Spd, so that is extremely important for units running Spurn. If you got the dough to run 6 Spd Mythics, you can put someone like BH!Ike (or SK!Dimitri during Water Season) on your team and give him Noontime so he is extremely hard to kill. If you are running this setup, it is probably better to use mostly Yunes with one or two Triandras instead since you can box Yune off in the back and have her debuff from a distance and when SK!Dimitri had low HP, Triandra can warp to him to either attack or Dance/Sing him.

I don't think 6 mythics is a good idea. You're increasing your maximum defense lift loss by 30 compared to a standard 3/4 or 2/5 split.

7 minutes ago, Othin said:

I don't think 6 mythics is a good idea. You're increasing your maximum defense lift loss by 30 compared to a standard 3/4 or 2/5 split.

Yeah, but your Spurn tank is also nigh unkillable outside of Líf: Undying Ties Duo. Your HP stat is through the roof and double Spurn essentially triples your bulk.

30 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah, but your Spurn tank is also nigh unkillable outside of Líf: Undying Ties Duo. Your HP stat is through the roof and double Spurn essentially triples your bulk.

Charged Deadeye, tho...
Specially on Earth Season, when L!Claude can be used on offense. He can initiate on your tank without issue, get danced and proc Deadeye taking him out. Then you'll have a bunch of nothing on the field.

33 minutes ago, XRay said:

What about Bolt Tower? Given that the rest of your team may as well be air, it seems hard to prevent your tank from getting baited into it.

Is it worth to build Eliwood to +10 when I have a Brave Roy+2(+atk)? Reason I'm asking is I'm debating on getting Eliwood's Resplendent outfit since I plan to buy the FEH pass when Micaiah's resplendent outfit is available and thought I might as well get it. I also hear that Eliwood requires a lot of investment to be good. That's why I'm still a little hesitant to build him but if he is worth it, I'll build one since he is also one of my fav characters. But I don't have a lot of resources since I just came back to the game not too long ago. If he is worth to build, is +spd or +atk better? I have both that I can use.

I'm also curious on how good Eldigan is as well since I also like his resplendent outfit and I'm wondering if its worth to get XD

Another question: what's the best way to get divine dews? Almost all the units I want to improve on requires it.

9 minutes ago, ScarletSylph said:

Is it worth to build Eliwood to +10 when I have a Brave Roy+2(+atk)? Reason I'm asking is I'm debating on getting Eliwood's Resplendent outfit since I plan to buy the FEH pass when Micaiah's resplendent outfit is available and thought I might as well get it. I also hear that Eliwood requires a lot of investment to be good. That's why I'm still a little hesitant to build him but if he is worth it, I'll build one since he is also one of my fav characters. But I don't have a lot of resources since I just came back to the game not too long ago. If he is worth to build, is +spd or +atk better? I have both that I can use.

I'm also curious on how good Eldigan is as well since I also like his resplendent outfit and I'm wondering if its worth to get XD

Another question: what's the best way to get divine dews? Almost all the units I want to improve on requires it.

Your Roy is probaby good enough for most of the in game content out side of competitvie modes. Eliwood is popular in Aether Raids, and he's easier to +10 and has the Resplendent like you said. Roy might get one eventually, but Eliwood at +10 will be better than Roy at +3. Personally I think Eliwood is still better because of his high res he's harder to kill. +Spd is generally better because of all of the speed creep, and with his popular galeforce build you don't want to one shot things.

Eldigan's best game mode right now is Pawns of Loki because of his high HP, just give him an Armorsmasher. I don't thinks it's really worth, but if you like him that much it's up to you.

You get Divine Dew from Weekly Rival Domains (10), if you have those blessed gardens backlogged there is some to get there I think, and there are some other game modes I think as well as some  from FEH pass. Otherwise you get Refining Stones from Arena and Arena Assault, that give you 50 divine dew after you refine an inheritable weapon.

Edited by LoneStar

45 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

Your Roy is probaby good enough for most of the in game content out side of competitvie modes. Eliwood is popular in Aether Raids, and he's easier to +10 and has the Resplendent like you said. Roy might get one eventually, but Eliwood at +10 will be better than Roy at +3. Personally I think Eliwood is still better because of his high res he's harder to kill.

Eldigan's best game mode right now is Pawns of Loki because of his high HP, just give him an Armorsmasher. I don't thinks it's really worth, but if you like him that much it's up to you.

You get Divine Dew from Weekly Rival Domains (10), if you have those blessed gardens backlogged there is some to get there I think, and there are some other game modes I think as well as some  from FEH pass. Otherwise you get Refining Stones from Arena and Arena Assault, that give you 50 divine dew after you refine an inheritable weapon.

Thanks, I am thinking to use him for things like Aether Raids or those Lunatic+ so if he is good there, I will definitely build him. Which Boon do you think is better at +10? Speed or Attack? I have enough copies to instant +10 him xD Maybe speed so he doesn't get double'd?  I just went with speed after doing a bit of googling xD

Edited by ScarletSylph

28 minutes ago, ScarletSylph said:

Thanks, I am thinking to use him for things like Aether Raids or those Lunatic+ so if he is good there, I will definitely build him. Which Boon do you think is better at +10? Speed or Attack? I have enough copies to instant +10 him xD Maybe speed so he doesn't get double'd?

+Spd will help enable the most follow-ups for Eliwood. His base Spd isn't very impressive by itself, but it can be built to a high amount, which the Spd asset helps.

Keep in mind that on Player Phase, Eliwood can't be doubled, as the refine for Blazing Durandal is built with Steady Impact which disables enemy follow-ups (requiring Null-Follow-up or similar to counter). Enemy-phase is a different story, but by that point in AR-D he has hopefully wiped out at least one enemy or weakened multiple and allowing a WoM play.

I don't know how well Eliwood does outside of Aether Raids. A lot of his Spd and bulk comes from Mythic bonuses, which he won't have in other game modes.

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

+Spd will help enable the most follow-ups for Eliwood. His base Spd isn't very impressive by itself, but it can be built to a high amount, which the Spd asset helps.

Keep in mind that on Player Phase, Eliwood can't be doubled, as the refine for Blazing Durandal is built with Steady Impact which disables enemy follow-ups (requiring Null-Follow-up or similar to counter). Enemy-phase is a different story, but by that point in AR-D he has hopefully wiped out at least one enemy or weakened multiple and allowing a WoM play.

I don't know how well Eliwood does outside of Aether Raids. A lot of his Spd and bulk comes from Mythic bonuses, which he won't have in other game modes.

Makes sense, either way I will definitely use him in Aether Raids xD Thanks.

1 hour ago, Rinco said:

Charged Deadeye, tho...
Specially on Earth Season, when L!Claude can be used on offense. He can initiate on your tank without issue, get danced and proc Deadeye taking him out. Then you'll have a bunch of nothing on the field.

That is true. KOU!Claude can outlast BH!Ike, although I am not sure how common he is on offense.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

What about Bolt Tower? Given that the rest of your team may as well be air, it seems hard to prevent your tank from getting baited into it.

BH!Ike can reach 85 HP, so even if a Bolt Tower (O) reduces his HP by half, his bulk is still 1.5 times the bulk of regular units, and he can still heal himself with Noontime. I guess a Firesweeper with Dancer/Singer support can then take out 40 more HP and a nuke can just finish off the remaining 5 HP.

1 hour ago, ScarletSylph said:

I think he is worth it. I would not take him to +10 immediately though unless you need an Arena core or something. If you are using him in Aether Raids, +5 is fine, and you can slowly add merges to him whenever you have a lull in your other projects.

Like most player phase units, he is very cheap to build.
+Spd
Blazing Durandal [special]
Reposition
Moonbow — Ruptured Sky — Galeforce
(Any A that boosts Atk/Spd)
Desperation
(Any C)
(Any Sacred Seal that boosts Atk/Spd)
If you are using him in Aether Raids, then I recommend sticking with Galeforce. If you are using him on defense, then you also want to use Lunge, and I also recommend double Life and Death to further reduce his bulk to trigger Wings of Mercy more reliably.

2 hours ago, ScarletSylph said:

Ares is better. I would not bother with Eldigan.

You have to wait like everyone else. Just keep participating in every mode.

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

BH!Ike can reach 85 HP, so even if a Bolt Tower (O) reduces his HP by half, his bulk is still 1.5 times the bulk of regular units, and he can still heal himself with Noontime. I guess a Firesweeper with Dancer/Singer support can then take out 40 more HP and a nuke can just finish off the remaining 5 HP.

I imagine Winter Altina would also work well for taking him down from there, right? That's another case of "rare red pair unit able to bypass evasion", but two options is a lot more than one. (Personally, I don't have Valentine's Lif, but I do have Winter Altina.)

2 hours ago, XRay said:

There are enough stupidly fast red units in the game to deal with Spurn Ike if needed plus the existence of Deadeye and Twin Blades (which is very relevant in Astra/Anima season). Also, with the rest of the team made out of paper, it's not all that hard to simply chip Ike down in the 7 turns you have (8 with Mila) when there's nothing else presenting any real threat to you.

Spurn Ike is also rather vulnerable to guaranteed follow-up attacks when initiating combat as he doesn't get any damage reduction from Urvan on the opponent's follow-up attack since he makes his own follow-up attack in between.

Eldigan is really only worth getting if you already have one that you've invested in (or you need a second Ares for Arena Assault for whatever reason).

Otherwise, his best builds with refined Mystletainn are inferior to similar units like Sigurd, Helpful Chrom, and Legendary Seliph, and his best builds with Dark Mystletainn are inferior to Ares, who is much easier to obtain and merge.

Edited by Ice Dragon

13 hours ago, Matrograde said:

I'm relatively new, and I've only played the game off and on since it was released, so I have some decent units, but haven't gone in depth with many of them. I noticed a lot of people here make themed teams, which I think is really cool, and I wanted to do something similar. I just finished Holy War a couple of days ago, so I'm feeling slightly obsessed with it (going through the novelization now). I thought it would be fun to put together a team of second generation Holy War kids.

Please use this pinned thread at the very top of the forums in the future for questions.

I'm looking for advice and feedback, since it seems like there are some very experienced players here. Here is what I think I want to go with, trying to go for balance:

I guess the first question is, would you select a different party comp based on what I have available, and why?

Team composition is dependent on the mode and your playstyle preferences, and generally speaking, I strongly discourage mixing player phase and enemy phase units together.

For Aether Raids, the most competitive PvP mode, restarting is not an option, so you need a team composition that will give you consistent victory with ideally little to no unit losses depending on how high you want to rank. Player phase strategies rely heavily on nukes and Dancers/Singers, while enemy phase strategies rely heavily on tanks, buffers/debuffers, and healers. Due to limited team slots, it simply is not possible to fit both play styles into one team without severely reducing the team's effectiveness on both fronts. It is best to craft and focus your team around either player phase or enemy phase tactics, and then incorporate elements of the other playstyle via dual phase units.

For PvE modes, you can keep restarting forever, so consistency in winning is not an issue, and you can you use any type of team you want. However, if you want to complete Abyssal maps in a short amount of time, it is still best to follow the general team composition guidelines for PvP modes.

Since you are limiting yourself to gen II, I would run a team that consists primarily of dual phase and/or enemy phase units, so I generally would not run player phase units like Ced since there simply is not enough Dancers/Singers to run an effective player phase team. However, since he is the only green unit you have, it is better than nothing. If you get Julia in the future, I use her instead since she is a much better enemy phase unit if you plan to give her Flowers and Resplendent stat, and she can somewhat dual phase with Divine Naga.

Second question is, if I stick with these four, what recommendations do you have for builds? I've mostly been relying on game8.co for guides on how I should build my characters, but I want to really get things nailed down before I start using and farming resources. For Larcei, there is a Galeforce build. I'm not super experienced, but I know a lot of people use Galeforce and that it is strong. It looks like I can get it by promoting Cordelia to 5*? That build also suggests Fury 4 and Atk/Spd Oath 3, but I'm not sure I can get them, since I'm not necessarily willing to sacrifice my Fallen Ike.

Dual Phase:
+Spd
Larcei's Edge
Reposition
Regnal Astra
Atk/Spd Solo
Spurn
Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Atk/Spd Solo — Spd/Res Solo

Dual Phase Galeforce:
Larcei's Edge
Reposition
Galeforce
Flashing Blade — Atk/Spd Solo
Spurn
Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Atk/Spd Solo — Spd/Res Solo — Flashing Blade

For Ced they have a spiral build, but again I'd have to sacrifice a couple of my 5* units, which I am hesitant to do. Perhaps I shouldn't be? I'd have to sacrifice my Keaton (or Lewyn) for Special Spiral 3, and Edelgard for Rouse Atk/Def 3. I don't use either of them too much, and I have Legendary Edelgard already.

I would not give him a player phase build. I have noted and spoilered player phase builds below for future reference, but I recommend giving him a dual phase build due to your team composition restrictions.

Dual Phase:
+Spd
Winds of Silesse
Reposition
Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
(Any Solo that boosts Spd and another stat)
Lull Atk/Spd
Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Which stats you want to focus on via Solos is up to you. Just make sure both Solos boost Spd so he can avoid doubles.

Spoiler

Standard Player Phase
+Spd
Winds of Silesse — Gronnblade
Reposition
Moonbow — Ruptured Sky — Glimmer
Desperation
(Any C)

Player Phase Blazing:
+Atk
Madness Flask — Plegian Torch (with Res Smoke) — Winds of Silesse
Atk Refinement
Reposition
Blazing Wind — Blazing Light — Growing Wind
Flashing Blade — Heavy Blade (with Plegian Torch)
Special Spiral
Savage Blow — Res Smoke
Life and Death

14 hours ago, Matrograde said:

For Altena there is a DC Shield build, so I suppose she would be my tank. I'd have to sacrifice my Hector for Distant Counter, which is fine (I never use that unit because I have his Brave version). For Quick Riposte 3 I have a 3* Subaki that I can promote, and I can get Atk Smoke 3 from Kaze.

I would not bother with Iote's Shield nor Distant Counter, as she is weak to archers and she has crap Res. She is regular tank that is meant to handle only portion of enemies, not a super tank that is meant to handle 99% of all combat, so other units can deal with archers on her behalf.

Slow Def Tank
+Def
Earthly Gáe Bolg — Flowing Lance — Vanguard — Candy Cane — Courtly Candle — Gilt Fork
Def Refinement
Reposition
Bonfire
(Any Stance, Unity, or Catch that boosts Atk/Def) — Close Def
Dull Close — Quick Riposte
Atk/Def Rein — Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Sturdy Stance — Quick Riposte
When picking skills, make sure they all synergize properly. For example, do not run Candy Cane with Sturdy Stance together since both have Guard and two Guard effects will not stack with each other. And as a final note, Atk/Def Catch is not out yet, but it should come out within the next year or two.

Slow Def Tank
Spirited Spear [Def]
Reposition
Moonbow — Ruptured Sky — Ignis
(Any Stance, Unity, or Catch that boosts Atk/Def) — Close Def
Atk/Def Rein — Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Sturdy Stance — Quick Riposte
Same concept as above. I seperated Spirited Spear out to make the Special skill line more readable.

Slow Mixed Tank
+Res
Earthly Gáe Bolg — Flowing Lance — Barrier Lance
Res Refinement
Reposition
Bonfire
(Any Stance, Unity, or Catch that boosts Atk/Res) — Close Def
Atk/Def Rein
Mirror Stance — Quick Riposte

14 hours ago, Matrograde said:

Last would be Nanna. I was debating whether I wanted to have a healer or a dancer in the last slot (Lene would be the dancer). If I go with Nanna, which I assume would be more fun and challenging, there is a Savage Wrath build. I would have to sacrifice my Hinoka for Atk/Spd Bond 3 and Genny for Wrathful Staff 3. Savage Blow 3 should be easy since I have so many Bantu manuals.

I would not use Bantu; Camilla has Savage Blow at 4*.

Pure Support; Sabotage:
+Res (with Sabotage)
Tannenbaton — Ovoid Staff —  Kumade — Joyous Lantern — Rapport Wand — Melancholy — Flash
Dazzling Staff Refinement
Physic — Restore — Return
(Any Special) — Miracle
Fort. Def/Res
(Any Sabotage)
(Any Ploy)
Phantom Res — (Any Ploy)

Pure Support; non Sabotage:
+Atk
Tannenbaton — Ovoid Staff —  Kumade — Joyous Lantern — Rapport Wand — Melancholy — Flash
Dazzling Staff Refinement
Physic — Restore — Return
(Any Special) — Miracle
Attack +3
(Any Chill)
(Any C) — (Any Recovery) — (Any Drive)
(Any Chill) — (Any Drive)
For Kumade, Joyous Lantern, and Rapport, you ideally want to also want to run Chill Def, Atk Opening, and Spd Opening respectively for synergy.

Player Phase:
+Spd
Palm Staff — Pain — Gravity — Melancholy — Flash 
Wrathful Staff Refinement — Dazzling Staff Refinement
Return
Miracle
Atk/Spd Solo
Dazzling Staff — Wrathful Staff
(Any C) — Savage Blow
Atk/Spd Solo — Savage Blow

1 hour ago, Othin said:

I imagine Winter Altina would also work well for taking him down from there, right? That's another case of "rare red pair unit able to bypass evasion", but two options is a lot more than one. (Personally, I don't have Valentine's Lif, but I do have Winter Altina.)

That is true too.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

There are enough stupidly fast red units in the game to deal with Spurn Ike if needed plus the existence of Deadeye and Twin Blades (which is very relevant in Astra/Anima season). Also, with the rest of the team made out of paper, it's not all that hard to simply chip Ike down in the 7 turns you have (8 with Mila) when there's nothing else presenting any real threat to you.

If they chip him down below 50% HP, they need kill him immediately though or else Triandra can significantly magnify his threat range.

17 minutes ago, XRay said:

If they chip him down below 50% HP, they need kill him immediately though or else Triandra can significantly magnify his threat range.

Triandra will be long dead by then since you'd be letting the rest of your team waltz around Ike to kill all of his teammates or you can Isolation bait her into the same tank that's holding off Ike when she uses Wings of Mercy. Or if you don't use Isolation, your tank will ideally just kill Ike even faster since Ike is much less bulky when he initiates combat himself.

The problem with having a single passive unit is the same problem as having a passive unit in double battles in Pokémon, affectionately dubbed "all-of-my-friends-are-dead syndrome". You can effectively just ignore the passive unit and focus only on dealing with its teammates, then clean up the passive unit at the end.

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Triandra will be long dead by then since you'd be letting the rest of your team waltz around Ike to kill all of his teammates or you can Isolation bait her into the same tank that's holding off Ike when she uses Wings of Mercy. Or if you don't use Isolation, your tank will ideally just kill Ike even faster since Ike is much less bulky when he initiates combat himself.

The problem with having a single passive unit is the same problem as having a passive unit in double battles in Pokémon, affectionately dubbed "all-of-my-friends-are-dead syndrome". You can effectively just ignore the passive unit and focus only on dealing with its teammates, then clean up the passive unit at the end.

The fact that the teammates are all green tome units with greater reach than the tank makes it especially easy to bait them, you can easily force them all to swarm a red unit.

8 hours ago, XRay said:

Team composition is dependent on the mode and your playstyle preferences, and generally speaking, I strongly discourage mixing player phase and enemy phase units together.

Thank you for the thoughtful post! I started putting some skills on my units last night, but I am looking forward to going through your notes here and adding them to my spreadsheet! It looks like I have a lot to learn.

13 hours ago, XRay said:

lease use this pinned thread at the very top of the forums in the future for questions.

For Aether Raids, the most competitive PvP mode, restarting is not an option, so you need a team composition that will give you consistent victory with ideally little to no unit losses depending on how high you want to rank. Player phase strategies rely heavily on nukes and Dancers/Singers, while enemy phase strategies rely heavily on tanks, buffers/debuffers, and healers. Due to limited team slots, it simply is not possible to fit both play styles into one team without severely reducing the team's effectiveness on both fronts. It is best to craft and focus your team around either player phase or enemy phase tactics, and then incorporate elements of the other playstyle via dual phase units.

For PvE modes, you can keep restarting forever, so consistency in winning is not an issue, and you can you use any type of team you want. However, if you want to complete Abyssal maps in a short amount of time, it is still best to follow the general team composition guidelines for PvP modes.

Since you are limiting yourself to gen II, I would run a team that consists primarily of dual phase and/or enemy phase units, so I generally would not run player phase units like Ced since there simply is not enough Dancers/Singers to run an effective player phase team. However, since he is the only green unit you have, it is better than nothing. If you get Julia in the future, I use her instead since she is a much better enemy phase unit if you plan to give her Flowers and Resplendent stat, and she can somewhat dual phase with Divine Naga.

I have a few follow up questions, if you don't mind answering.

1. I totally forgot that Julia is available as a Resplendant Hero. I was taking a break when they added her. If I was to nab her now, would you give her a similar build to what you are doing with Ced here?
  2. A lot of people in my original thread were suggesting Ares, who I can +10, so I started building him too, but since I still don't have a good grasp on the different skills that work for different phase types, would you mind discussing how he would work? It seems like he can be a good enemy phase unit, but I'm not sure. I basically gave him the Distant Vantage build from game8.
  3. Are there any good alternatives to Spurn for Larcei? It looks like it only comes from the Kris units, and I have one female, but I don't want to lose her.
  4. You mentioned synergy, but I don't understand what you mean by Candy Cane and Sturdy Stance both having "Guard." I didn't see that word in either description. I don't really know how to tell what stacks and what doesn't. I've seen builds described that list Savage Blow both as C skill and seal on that site. Are those stacking?

Thank you for your time!

7 minutes ago, Matrograde said:

I totally forgot that Julia is available as a Resplendant Hero. I was taking a break when they added her. If I was to nab her now, would you give her a similar build to what you are doing with Ced here?

Julia is slow, meaning she absolutely needs Quick Riposte to function on enemy phase. Her Def is also pretty awful, meaning she won't be able to deal with physical opponents that can double her on her enemy phase, unlike Sety, who can at least avoid the follow-up due to having a massive 20 points more Spd.

Julia's primary use is as a counter to dragons and blue tomes. Refined Naga allows her to counterattack dragons on her enemy phase, whereas refined Divine Naga gives her a stronger player phase.

16 minutes ago, Matrograde said:

A lot of people in my original thread were suggesting Ares, who I can +10, so I started building him too, but since I still don't have a good grasp on the different skills that work for different phase types, would you mind discussing how he would work? It seems like he can be a good enemy phase unit, but I'm not sure. I basically gave him the Distant Vantage build from game8.

Dark Mystletainn's effect is the same as Slaying Edge + Special Spiral 3, allowing Ares to run the Vantage + Special Spiral build archetype.

Slaying Edge + Special Spiral 3 allows him to fully charge Bonfire after every round of combat, meaning on enemy phase, Vantage will allow him to attack first and hit the opponent with Bonfire before the opponent has a chance to attack, the goal being to kill the opponent in one hit.

19 minutes ago, Matrograde said:

Are there any good alternatives to Spurn for Larcei? It looks like it only comes from the Kris units, and I have one female, but I don't want to lose her.

Repel and Close Call have the same damage reduction effect, but have a less useful secondary effect. Lakche comes with Repel as a default skill, so you can use that if you don't have Spurn available.

21 minutes ago, Matrograde said:

You mentioned synergy, but I don't understand what you mean by Candy Cane and Sturdy Stance both having "Guard." I didn't see that word in either description. I don't really know how to tell what stacks and what doesn't. I've seen builds described that list Savage Blow both as C skill and seal on that site. Are those stacking?

Guard is a passive B skill with the effect "At start of combat, if unit's HP ≥ x%, inflicts Special cooldown charge -1 on foe per attack. (Only highest value applied. Does not stack.)"

Candy Cane and Sturdy Stance both have this effect with a different condition. Candy Cane has this effect with the condition of having an ally within 2 squares (i.e. "Unity condition"), and Sturdy Stance has this effect with the condition of the opponent initiating combat (i.e. "Stance condition").

1 hour ago, Matrograde said:
  • I totally forgot that Julia is available as a Resplendant Hero. I was taking a break when they added her. If I was to nab her now, would you give her a similar build to what you are doing with Ced here?

I would use her as an enemy phase unit to tank mages and dragons. You can technically salvage her physical bulk and jack up her Def, but similar to Altena, she got teammates to take care of units that she has trouble dealing with, so I would not bother. You can use her as a dual phase unit with Divine Naga to patch up her Spd; she still would not be able to go toe to toe with super fast enemies on the enemies' prefered combat phase, but she should be able to outspeed some of them on the phase that they are vulnerable in. For example, instead of having Julia initiate on Ronan, you can have Ronan initiate on Julia instead.

Enemy Phase, Res Tank:
+Res
Naga [special]
Reposition
Iceberg
Mirror Stance
Lull Atk/Res — Quick Riposte
(Any C) — Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke
Mirror Stance — Quick Riposte

Dual Phase:
+Spd
Divine Naga [special]
Reposition
Moonbow — Ruptured Sky
Lull Atk/Spd
(Any C) — Atk Smoke — Pulse Smoke

• A lot of people in my original thread were suggesting Ares, who I can +10, so I started building him too, but since I still don't have a good grasp on the different skills that work for different phase types, would you mind discussing how he would work? It seems like he can be a good enemy phase unit, but I'm not sure. I basically gave him the Distant Vantage build from game8.

He is a good dual phase unit as a Counter-Vantage unit. Counter-Vantage units work on both phases. Vantage just lets him "player phase" enemies on enemy phase by attacking first. Compared to other Counter-Vantage units though, Ares is a bit harder to get rolling since he needs to set up Special Spiral on his Weapon before he can spam Bonfire.

+Atk
Dark Mystletainn
Reposition
Bonfire
Distant Counter
Vantage
Def Smoke
Brazen Atk/Def
If you do not have Distant Counter, you can just use Brazen Atk/Def on the A slot as a temporary skill.

• Are there any good alternatives to Spurn for Larcei? It looks like it only comes from the Kris units, and I have one female, but I don't want to lose her.

Her default Repel is fine as a placeholder until you can get Spurn.

1. You mentioned synergy, but I don't understand what you mean by Candy Cane and Sturdy Stance both having "Guard." I didn't see that word in either description. I don't really know how to tell what stacks and what doesn't. I've seen builds described that list Savage Blow both as C skill and seal on that site. Are those stacking?

Some skill effects stack and some do not. It usually says it in the skill description whether something does not stack.

Guard does not stack with itself for example, but Quick Riposte sort of does; running two Quick Riposte will not let you attack three times, but one of your Quick Riposte and the enemies' Impact/Wary Fighter effect will cancel each other out, and your second Quick Riposte will allow the unit to perform the guaranteed follow-up attack.

Savage Blow stacks with itself. I personally prefer running two Atk/Spd Solos over two Savage Blows on staff units, but if Atk/Spd Solo is being used by someone else on the team, Savage Blow on the Sacred Seal is fine.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I would use her as an enemy phase unit to tank mages and dragons. You can technically salvage her physical bulk and jack up her Def, but similar to Altena, she got teammates to take care of units that she has trouble dealing with, so I would not bother. You can use her as a dual phase unit with Divine Naga to patch up her Spd; she still would not be able to go toe to toe with super fast enemies on the enemies' prefered combat phase, but she should be able to outspeed some of them on the phase that they are vulnerable in. For example, instead of having Julia initiate on Ronan, you can have Ronan initiate on Julia instead.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Julia is slow, meaning she absolutely needs Quick Riposte to function on enemy phase. Her Def is also pretty awful, meaning she won't be able to deal with physical opponents that can double her on her enemy phase, unlike Sety, who can at least avoid the follow-up due to having a massive 20 points more Spd.

Thank you both! This is very helpful.