"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont play AR, but damage reduction in general is a pain; i can often get 2 or even 3 players who are not able to clear my arena team with L!claude and duo Myrrh every week. I would imagine it would be easier but I do get pretty irritated when i see them on the opposite team myself. Since i do have L!Sigurd, I think i'll add him to the team and see how the team improves.

Also, is the new Grand Hero battle worth doing? Is the new unit OK? Since there are no orbs involved I am never too excited to try these.

Edited by Sil/phire

27 minutes ago, Sil/phire said:

i dont play AR, but damage reduction in general is a pain; i can often get 2 or even 3 players who are not able to clear my arena team with L!claude and duo Myrrh every week. I would imagine it would be easier but I do get pretty irritated when i see them on the opposite team myself. Since i do have L!Sigurd, I think i'll add him to the team and see how the team improves.

Also, is the new Grand Hero battle worth doing? Is the new unit OK? Since there are no orbs involved I am never too excited to try these.

All Grand Hero Battles are worth doing. They're free units.

Does anyone know what Astra mean? I know Anima in Latin is soul and it's elemental tomes from FE games (Fire, Wind, Ice, etc.) but what does Astra mean?

15 minutes ago, Naoshi said:

Does anyone know what Astra mean? I know Anima in Latin is soul and it's elemental tomes from FE games (Fire, Wind, Ice, etc.) but what does Astra mean?

Astra means star. (e.g.: astronaut, asteroid, etc.)

Edited by XRay

4 hours ago, Naoshi said:

4 hours ago, XRay said:

Astra means star. (e.g.: astronaut, asteroid, etc.)

Adding to this, all of the Legendary/Mythic elements use names of character affinities from the GBA and Tellius games.

The GBA games had Fire, Thunder, Wind, Ice, Light, Dark, and Anima. The Tellius games removed Ice and Anima and added Water, Earth, and Heaven.

In Heroes, the Heaven affinity was renamed to the Astra element, but it's still the same thing in Japanese.

Additionally, "Anima" is a localization of the name of the magic type and affinity in Japanese, which is 理 (kotowari), "reason" or "logic", presumably due to the fact that the magic type harnesses natural phenomena instead of supernatural forces. The internal name of the magic type in the GBA games was "Rev".

Thank you both you for explaining! 

That would explain why Naga and Altina are Astra, and the possibility Ashera being Astra as well. Thanks again!

Edited by Naoshi

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

If I have already acquired a legendary unit and they get a remix, do the ones I have already have the chance to learn the need skill additions?

Yes. Just go to Learn Skills.

44 minutes ago, Rinco said:

The only weapon types that don't have braves yet are dragonstone and staffs, right?

I wonder how long it will take for them to come out, if ever...

It depends on how you count it. Red, blue, and green tomes all have brave prfs, but colorless tomes don't.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

It depends on how you count it. Red, blue, and green tomes all have brave prfs, but colorless tomes don't.

Oh, right. That's probably reserved for Legendary Reinhardt (lol, just kidding)

Brave dragon is something that could show up without being too broken, but I think a brave staff would have the potential to be stupid

22 minutes ago, Rinco said:

Oh, right. That's probably reserved for Legendary Reinhardt (lol, just kidding)

I think everyone will get a Legendary version eventually, assuming the game lasts that long. Legendary Reinhardt would be pretty dope when we get him. I bet he will have Thunder's Zeal that is a 2 cooldown damage Special with Galeforce built in, as well as Raging Storm and full Canto on his Weapon (and it will probably come with Slaying and guaranteed follow-up attack with Desperation for good measure). Triple action Reinhardt can potentially take out half the defense team on Aether Raids and then Canto back to safety. Reinhardt is everything!

As for Brave Weapons, blue, green, and colorless beasts lack them too, as well as all the colored daggers.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I think everyone will get a Legendary version eventually, assuming the game lasts that long. Legendary Reinhardt would be pretty dope when we get him. I bet he will have Thunder's Zeal that is a 2 cooldown damage Special with Galeforce built in, as well as Raging Storm and full Canto on his Weapon (and it will probably come with Slaying and guaranteed follow-up attack with Desperation for good measure). Triple action Reinhardt can potentially take out half the defense team on Aether Raids and then Canto back to safety. Reinhardt is everything!

As for Brave Weapons, blue, green, and colorless beasts lack them too, as well as all the colored daggers.

Please no, we do not need that kind of cancer.

3 hours ago, Rinco said:

Brave dragon is something that could show up without being too broken, but I think a brave staff would have the potential to be stupid

A friend of mine noted that Laika's sister's husband in I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level looks uncannily like a dragon Reinhardt, and I joked that they'd give us a Brave cavalry dragon Reinhardt next.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

MInd telling me where I can find this brave colorless dagger? I mean if it's generic, if you're talking Lynja then yeah, not what i have been wishing for unfortunately. May be one day..

what I really wish to see is IS giving older units guaranteed follow-ups of some sort. The power creep has really left them far behind, and their refines don't help much either at times, I was really disappointed when Quan's refine came out, Eldigan's and Deirdre's refines are also pretty lacking, just to name a few. I wish they would put in more effort like they did when they did M!Morgan's or Micaiah's, for example.

Is there any point in inheriting Duel skills? I have seen people use B Duel Infantry for example in units like Ninian and Brave Lucina.Outside of using those units for arena, i would think using something like Fury would be better if you're looking to raise their stats, if you don't care to run a more focused skill like Solos or L&D. Does any one ever use these for AR?

What would you say is the best 2-turn cooldown Special for offensive use? I generally use Moonbow on my units because i feel it is more effective than Glimmer, but I just realized Ruptured Sky is also a generic Special with a 2-turn cd. Also do you think it is more efficient to run a 2 CD special for more frequent activation over something more specific to a unit like Bonfire or Iceberg?

Edited by Sil/phire

12 minutes ago, Sil/phire said:

MInd telling me where I can find this brave colorless dagger? I mean if it's generic, if you're talking Lynja then yeah, not what i have been wishing for unfortunately. May be one day.

It's only Duo Lyn.

Is there any point in inheriting Duel skills? I have seen people use B Duel Infantry for example in units like Ninian and Brave Lucina.Outside of using those units for arena, i would think using something like Fury would be better if you're looking to raise their stats, if you don't care to run a more focused skill like Solos or L&D. Does any one ever use these for AR?

Duel skills have exactly two purposes:

1. They increase your score in game modes that use Arena scoring, and
  2. Tier 3 Duel skills are equal to HP+5 and tier 4 Duel skills are superior to HP+5 for dancers in Aether Raids for avoiding Gjallarbru's Isolation effect.

If you're using them for anything else, you're probably using them wrong.

What would you say is the best 2-turn cooldown Special for offensive use? I generally use Moonbow on my units because i feel it is more effective than Glimmer, but I just realized Ruptured Sky is also a generic Special with a 2-turn cd. Also do you think it is more efficient to run a 2 CD special for more frequent activation over something more specific to a unit like Bonfire or Iceberg?

Ruptured Sky is the best 2-cooldown Special, but it's extremely hard to get. Moonbow is the best 2-cooldown Special that is available from the 4-star summoning pool.

The cooldown of the Special you want to use depends on how the unit functions in combat and should be determined on a case-by-case basis. For example, if you're using a slow, enemy-phase unit with a guaranteed follow-up, you want a Special that has either a cooldown of 1 or a cooldown of 3. In this comparison, 2 Moonbow activations with a Slaying weapon deals damage equal to 60% of the opponent's defense, but Ignis/Glacies with a Slaying weapon deals damage equal to 80% of your defense, typically making Ignis/Glacies a better option for this particular case. 

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Sil/phire said:

what I really wish to see is IS giving older units guaranteed follow-ups of some sort. The power creep has really left them far behind, and their refines don't help much either at times, I was really disappointed when Quan's refine came out, Eldigan's and Deirdre's refines are also pretty lacking, just to name a few. I wish they would put in more effort like they did when they did M!Morgan's or Micaiah's, for example.

Depends on the unit. Some have decent or really good Refines. Celica has a pretty good one for example, since she can skip Fury and run triple Brazen Atk/Spd.

Quan's is admittedly a bit disappointing, but it can be pretty good in Grand Conquest when cavalry have guaranteed follow-up effect applied.

Takumi's Refine suck, and the only way it can redeem itself is to have a mode where it is remotely relevant, which unfortunately there is not. Quan's Refine is at least good occasionally in one mode. Takumi's Refine is not even good enough for Resonant Battles even though that is the place where it seems like it could potentially have the most impact.

Generally speaking, you want to trigger your Specials as often as possible, with the most notable exception @Ice Dragon mentioned above for slow tanks.

All else being equal, triggering two Bonfires/Icebergs is even better than triggering one Ignis/Glacies, but things are often not equal and there is often an opportunity cost to doing so, so it really depends on how much you want your units to specialize. For example, if you want Lucas to specialize in just melee physical opponents, you can give him an A slot Breath so he can retaliate with Bonfires twice; if you want him to be a generalist though, Distant Counter and improving his Res will be more of a priority than trying to increase his damage output via double Bonfire triggers.

I recommend playing around with the battle calculator to get a feel of how different skills and effects work.

Edited by XRay

Are there any sections of the Hall of Forms that are particularly likely to offer Distant Counter or good seasonal swords?

Just now, Othin said:

Are there any sections of the Hall of Forms that are particularly likely to offer Distant Counter or good seasonal swords?

Counters are hard to come by, and it seems like they keep getting displaced by Foils and Wards. I am building up Saias right now, and the only Close skill I do not see is Close Counter. I have already seen Close Foil once (it came pretty early and is what I have right now) and Close Ward at least three times. I am aiming for Close Counter or Heavy Blade on A.

As for Weapons from Special Heroes, I think they are pretty random. Lower difficulties seem to give a better chance of non Refineable Weapons, but I cannot say for certain, so if you are aiming for In The Moment Weapons, you can try the lower difficulties. 

One more thing I didn't mention in my previous post is that even though Ruptured Sky and Moonbow are better for general use than Glimmer, Glimmer is not strictly outclassed.

Glimmer's biggest problem comes from how its damage is calculated. It deals low damage when you're already dealing low damage and high damage when you're already dealing high damage. Against opponents with high defenses, Moonbow easily out-perform it, but against opponents with low defenses, the extra damage that Glimmer deals compared to Moonbow is completely wasted because the opponent will likely die from either one.

However, the the extra damage against opponents with low defenses matters a lot more in game modes where enemies have inflated HP, like Resonant Battles, because less of its damage is wasted on overkilling the opponent.

So i decided to be that guy. I added all one of my F!Edelgard copies to my arena defense team, as my lead unit no less. I wish good luck to all facing my lvl 1 monster.

Any one else using her on your defense team, arena or AR? in arena you only get feathers for anything you ever win, so does any one ever try to actually put together a strong team for this mode?

2 hours ago, Sil/phire said:

Any one else using her on your defense team, arena or AR? in arena you only get feathers for anything you ever win, so does any one ever try to actually put together a strong team for this mode?

Defenses in Arena are only worth a few more feathers, so I don't really bother. It's been over 2 years since I last changed my Arena defense team.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Defenses in Arena are only worth a few more feathers, so I don't really bother. It's been over 2 years since I last changed my Arena defense team.

I use the same team I use to attack. Like you said, I don't care at all to compose a team for that, so I find it easier to use the same one