"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

37 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

@Rinco No. Getting hit once for 100% damage is always preferable to getting hit twice for 50% + 100% damage except in the single case where the opponent has a pre-charged Special and can't recharge their Special in time for their second attack, and Infantry Pulse teams are significantly less common nowadays.

If the units have equal bulk, having higher Spd to avoid a double is more often preferable over having lower Spd to take advantage of damage reduction.

Depends on how hard the enemy hits. Getting hit twice helps charge a stronger Special to finish off the opponent, and if the opponent hits like a wet noodle, then it does not matter if they hit twice.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

@Rinco No. Getting hit once for 100% damage is always preferable to getting hit twice for 50% + 100% damage except in the single case where the opponent has a pre-charged Special and can't recharge their Special in time for their second attack, and Infantry Pulse teams are significantly less common nowadays.

If the units have equal bulk, having higher Spd to avoid a double is more often preferable over having lower Spd to take advantage of damage reduction.

Not if you OHKO the opponent.

54 minutes ago, Othin said:

Not if you OHKO the opponent.

I mean, in general, a unit running Courtly Mask is not killing the opponent in one hit with a typical Save build. Even with Ruptured Sky + Special Fighter, you're probably not going to be getting all that many one-hit kills since you typically aren't running Atk-boosting skills in the A slot and Sacred Seal slot.

49 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I mean, in general, a unit running Courtly Mask is not killing the opponent in one hit with a typical Save build. Even with Ruptured Sky + Special Fighter, you're probably not going to be getting all that many one-hit kills since you typically aren't running Atk-boosting skills in the A slot and Sacred Seal slot.

JxKsmq2.jpg

My Dozla, deployed alongside a double Atk boost from Reginn and Altina. Courtly Mask and Far Save put him at 70 Atk, then Duo Peony and Duo Hilda can bring him up to 92 plus an instantly charged Ruptured Sky. No Atk boost from his A or S slots, although they do negate any Def bonuses on the opponent.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's not exactly "in general", though.

There's nothing strange about receiving Atk boosts from mythics - every offense mythic aside from Naga, Dagr, and Ullr gives some sort of Atk increase. The other teammates skew more towards Atk bonuses than usual, but not unreasonably so, and it's possible to OHKO plenty of mages even with less focus on Atk stacking.

9 minutes ago, Rinco said:

Altina is the worst mythic on Astra season, tho. I only use her when it's her bonus week and she usually never even see any combat. She's just bad.

That's irrelevant. On Astra season, as long as you're running at least two non-Naga mythics, they're contributing a total of +6 Atk or more.

21 minutes ago, Othin said:

The other teammates skew more towards Atk bonuses than usual, but not unreasonably so,

Um.

• Altina is giving +5 HP and +3 Atk and no other stats.
  • Reginn is giving +5 HP and +3 Atk and no other stats.
  • Duo Peony is presumably giving +10 Atk (Bond of the Alfar and Joint Drive Atk) and a +3 visible buff to all stats.
  • Duo Hilda is presumably giving +9 Atk (Sunshade Staff and Drive Atk 2) and no other stats.

That's +28/3/3/3 plus whatever's on Peony's Sacred Seal and whatever's on Hilda's C slot. That seems pretty unreasonably skewed towards Atk.

19 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Um.

• Altina is giving +5 HP and +3 Atk and no other stats.
  • Reginn is giving +5 HP and +3 Atk and no other stats.
  • Duo Peony is presumably giving +10 Atk (Bond of the Alfar and Joint Drive Atk) and a +3 visible buff to all stats.
  • Duo Hilda is presumably giving +9 Atk (Sunshade Staff and Drive Atk 2) and no other stats.

That's +28/3/3/3 plus whatever's on Peony's Sacred Seal and whatever's on Hilda's C slot. That seems pretty unreasonably skewed towards Atk.

Naga is also giving +5 Def, the missing skills are Odd Recovery and Distant Guard. So it's +28/3/11/7. Heavily skewed towards Atk, but not unreasonably so, he's still got 70 HP and both Def/Res in the 60s. It's also possible to further increase his defensive stats while maintaining the same Atk by swapping out Altina for Plumeria or Ashera, or by replacing Hilda's C slot.

17 minutes ago, Othin said:

Naga is also giving +5 Def, the missing skills are Odd Recovery and Distant Guard. So it's +28/3/11/7. Heavily skewed towards Atk, but not unreasonably so, he's still got 70 HP and both Def/Res in the 60s. It's also possible to further increase his defensive stats while maintaining the same Atk by swapping out Altina for Plumeria or Ashera, or by replacing Hilda's C slot.

The standard we're comparing against is still "in general", and in general, players are not going to be running 2 units that almost exclusively buff Atk. Your total Atk buff is 7 points higher than the buffs to all three other stats combined, which is an unusual setup.

I understand it's possible, but that doesn't make it typical.

My gripe has nothing to do with the blessing bonuses. It's the fact that you're running 2 units that specifically buff Atk, and units that do that are extremely uncommon (in fact, I think those are the only 2 units that do so). Drive buffs from weapons and other exclusive skills are typically 3-4 points in 2 stats or 2-3 points in 3-4 stats.

Between your 2 support units, you're getting +19/0/4/4 in combat buffs, and that's very clearly out of the ordinary.

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The standard we're comparing against is still "in general", and in general, players are not going to be running 2 units that almost exclusively buff Atk. Your total Atk buff is 7 points higher than the buffs to all three other stats combined, which is an unusual setup.

I understand it's possible, but that doesn't make it typical.

My gripe has nothing to do with the blessing bonuses. It's the fact that you're running 2 units that specifically buff Atk, and units that do that are extremely uncommon (in fact, I think those are the only 2 units that do so). Drive buffs from weapons and other exclusive skills are typically 3-4 points in 2 stats or 2-3 points in 3-4 stats.

Between your 2 support units, you're getting +19/0/4/4 in combat buffs, and that's very clearly out of the ordinary.

It may not be the most common, but it still fulfills the expected purposes of a Save build perfectly well. You said the lack of Atk boosts in A/S slot makes it difficult to get many OHKOs, and I think this shows that that is not the case.

Now, this was originally about Winter Cecilia, who has lower stats but can be merged through grails. Let's assume we've got a +10/+14 Cecilia with no Summoner Support, and have her match Dozla's weapon/A/S slots (including +Res for her nature and weapon). We'll devote a team slot to some melee tank (maybe with Close Save) who isn't helping her and say the others are Reginn, Plumeria, Ashera, and Duo Hilda, with two instances each of Drive Atk 2 and Distant Guard 3 among the C/S slots of Plumeria and Hilda.

Cecilia's stats:

• HP: 63 (48+15)
  • Atk: 89 (59+6+24)
  • Spd: 36 (33+3)
  • Def: 62 (37+3+22)
  • Res: 91 (51+6+34)

All while having 50% damage reduction on the first hit taken, an instantly charged special to help make sure there isn't a second hit, an open B slot to help deal with anything that does survive the hit, and an open team slot to take care of any other concerns. And aside from the Far Save skill, the rare SI needed can be obtained through Divine Codes, especially if you're willing to use cheaper substitutes for Ruptured Sky and/or Crafty Fighter. You could also rearrange it a bit to shift stats from Res to Def if desired.

This seems like a perfectly reasonable way to get OHKOs on a Far Save build to me.

Edited by Othin

19 minutes ago, Othin said:

This seems like a perfectly reasonable way to get OHKOs on a Far Save build to me.

Reasonable? Sure. Typical? Not really.

Yes, this is something that you can do without spending too many resources (and you can even substitute Brave Lucina for Duo Hilda for an easier-to-obtain unit at the cost of 3 Atk), but it's still a heavily specialized team composition that revolves around using multiple units with specific buffs in the weapon slot.

Either way, at this point, I think it would be best to get other people's opinions on what counts as typical. I know that I severely under-utilize buffs on my own team compositions (my main team this season only gets +5/6/7/7 from blessings and teammates), so I don't have a particularly great grasp on what's considered normal, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a challenger with any real investment into Atk (those who get through my defense map have always done so by either using Gravity/Isolation to block my mobility or by stacking bulk).

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Reasonable? Sure. Typical? Not really.

Yes, this is something that you can do without spending too many resources (and you can even substitute Brave Lucina for Duo Hilda for an easier-to-obtain unit at the cost of 3 Atk), but it's still a heavily specialized team composition that revolves around using multiple units with specific buffs in the weapon slot.

Either way, at this point, I think it would be best to get other people's opinions on what counts as typical. I know that I severely under-utilize buffs on my own team compositions (my main team this season only gets +5/6/7/7 from blessings and teammates), so I don't have a particularly great grasp on what's considered normal, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a challenger with any real investment into Atk (those who get through my defense map have always done so by either using Gravity/Isolation to block my mobility or by stacking bulk).

Whatever is typical, we seem to be in agreement on the main points - it's a way you could reasonably set up a Far Save unit to cover the main functionality needed while having a good shot at one-shotting attackers with Courtly Mask to only take the 50% hit. That's all I wanted to get across, that it's an option worth considering.

Regarding the spendthrift bow, since it has the downside of inflicting cooldown +2 to the unit after combat. I'm guessing I shouldn't bother with anything higher then a 2 charge special on the user?

The character I had planned for this build was Jeorge. And was also going to aim for the deadeye fodder from divine codes once I get this spendthrift bow fodder for him. But since deadeye is a 3 charge. i'm not sure if it would be good on him when combined with spendthrift bow.

But time pulse might solve this as well. Since I did free pull an extra Sothis from this legendary banner.

3 minutes ago, Faellin said:

Regarding the spendthrift bow, since it has the downside of inflicting cooldown +2 to the unit after combat. I'm guessing I shouldn't bother with anything higher then a 2 charge special on the user?

The character I had planned for this build was Jeorge. And was also going to aim for the deadeye fodder from divine codes once I get this spendthrift bow fodder for him. But since deadeye is a 3 charge. i'm not sure if it would be good on him when combined with spendthrift bow.

But time pulse might solve this as well. Since I did free pull an extra Sothis from this legendary banner.

With Time's Pulse, you can have Deadeye function as a 2 cooldown special once per turn, but not multiple times. Up to you if that's good enough, and if you consider all of that worthwhile. Seems a bit inefficient to me, personally.

What exactly are you planning on doing with him?

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

With Time's Pulse, you can have Deadeye function as a 2 cooldown special once per turn, but not multiple times. Up to you if that's good enough, and if you consider all of that worthwhile. Seems a bit inefficient to me, personally.

What exactly are you planning on doing with him?

My current planned build is more mix phase with the following:

Spendthrift, close foil, lull atk/spd, time pulse. But swapping out close foil for SS3 is an option from the Nailah manual on the way to deadeye to allow pure player phasing. Since close foil is coming with the bow. And lull atk/spd will come with deadeye.

Edited by Faellin

16 minutes ago, Faellin said:

You can still use higher cooldown Specials if your unit is slow enough to get doubled and you are strictly using them as an enemy phase unit.

2 minutes ago, Faellin said:

My current planned build is more mix phase with the following:

Spendthrift, close foil, lull atk/spd, time pulse. But swapping out close foil for SS3 is an option from the Nailah manual on the way to deadeye to allow pure player phasing. Since close foil is coming with the bow. And lull atk/spd will come with deadeye.

I strongly discourage wasting Orbs on Foils and Wards, especially since better versions of Counters are or will be available.

As a dual phase unit, I think he is fine with Parthia if he is just fighting mages since he got damage reduction, and he still got Atk+6 fighting against ranged units in general. If you really want him to fight melee units as a dual phase unit, I guess you can run Spendthrift Bow, but keep in mind that he will be fighting at a severe stat disadvantage without support units and/or outside of Aether Raids. And due to how generic Spendthrift Bow is, he is also fighting with a severe effect disadvantage against modern units with several effects on their exclusive Weapons on top of the usual all stat+X.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

You can still use higher cooldown Specials if your unit is slow enough to get doubled and you are strictly using them as an enemy phase unit.

I strongly discourage wasting Orbs on Foils and Wards, especially since better versions of Counters are or will be available.

As a dual phase unit, I think he is fine with Parthia if he is just fighting mages since he got damage reduction, and he still got Atk+6 fighting against ranged units in general. If you really want him to fight melee units as a dual phase unit, I guess you can run Spendthrift Bow, but keep in mind that he will be fighting at a severe stat disadvantage without support units and/or outside of Aether Raids. And due to how generic Spendthrift Bow is, he is also fighting with a severe effect disadvantage against modern units with several effects on their exclusive Weapons on top of the usual all stat+X.

All of the fodder is either from freebie manuals from divine codes, and an extra Sothis from a free summon. So haven't wasted a single orb on this build so far. And close foil i'm still on the fence about actually using since its just going to come with the bow when I get that since i'm still about 1000 away.

re: buffs and typicality - i tend to stay away from using buffs unless if there's a specific build that makes sense for it - eg fallen lyon who's my most reliable astra tank since there's a lot of meta-relevant colorless and blue ranged threats (the amount of times he's baited L!Claude and made that e z is... nice). and even his buffs are more 'park him away from people and a panic manor' braindead solo buffing.

Personally find them to be very ... flaky? in this current meta with Menaces, Ashera, and the Panic Manor and all that jazz. You also run the risk of certain types of buffs like bonds and solos not playing very well if you want to mix up your teams. it's also, uh, a little hard to keep all the numbers in my head. :D;;;

that being said I'm one of those that's gotten into VoH/Arena T21 a few times for flexing, but by no means am consistent about it (don't wanna put in the effort lol). This lack of tactical buffing and number crunching is likely one of the things that separates 'occasionally competitive player' into 'true competitive player'.

21 minutes ago, kradeelav said:

re: buffs and typicality - i tend to stay away from using buffs unless if there's a specific build that makes sense for it - eg fallen lyon who's my most reliable astra tank since there's a lot of meta-relevant colorless and blue ranged threats (the amount of times he's baited L!Claude and made that e z is... nice). and even his buffs are more 'park him away from people and a panic manor' braindead solo buffing.

Personally find them to be very ... flaky? in this current meta with Menaces, Ashera, and the Panic Manor and all that jazz. You also run the risk of certain types of buffs like bonds and solos not playing very well if you want to mix up your teams. it's also, uh, a little hard to keep all the numbers in my head. :D;;;

that being said I'm one of those that's gotten into VoH/Arena T21 a few times for flexing, but by no means am consistent about it (don't wanna put in the effort lol). This lack of tactical buffing and number crunching is likely one of the things that separates 'occasionally competitive player' into 'true competitive player'.

For the record, Menace skills don't interfere with any sort of buffs, and even the things that mess with field buffs like Rally can't do anything about combat buffs like Solos. Most of that was combat buffs, or mythic buffs which don't have any conditions beyond team composition.

Personally I don't find most of it to be too difficult to keep track of, especially in AR where my skill sets are pretty consistent. But also I love number crunching tactics in general, like using careful positioning to set up extra damage from Drive Atk or from catching the opponent in a dagger splash debuff.

In practice, the conditions can be pretty straightforward. Dozla's Distant Def skills trigger on their own, the Far Save boost comes up as long as I keep him from being the one attacked, and then I can just keep him near Hilda or anyone else giving Drive effects. Defensive teams in particular make that kind of bunching up units easy. (Especially with Save skills so ones near the front line are still protected.)

1 hour ago, kradeelav said:

It is not hard to buff units. If I can do it, you can do it.

If you know how to park Lucina: Brave Princess behind Ike: Brave Mercenary, you are 90% of the way to being a competitive player, or at least semi competitive player every other week. If you also know how to surround a pair of Save tanks with a bunch of Flayns, you are now a master of enemy phase tactics.

I went back to Micaiah's banner, and have managed to get her. -spd +def

My question is, I had 4 colourless orbs in the session, and she came out of the first one, should I open the other three to hope for a merge/better nature?

Pity rate is 9%, and of course I have already got Ashera and Edelgard so I don't care about getting them. 

17 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

I went back to Micaiah's banner, and have managed to get her. -spd +def

My question is, I had 4 colourless orbs in the session, and she came out of the first one, should I open the other three to hope for a merge/better nature?

Pity rate is 9%, and of course I have already got Ashera and Edelgard so I don't care about getting them. 

I almost always do full pulls when my pity rate is broken.

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

I almost always do full pulls when my pity rate is broken.

I completed the circle, and I got another Micaiah! 🙂

But she was ALSO +def! 😞 

Still, I guess we have Trait Fruits for that purpose.