"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

I have an extra duo Azura from the AHR banner, free summoned 2 of her on the same ring. So the 2nd is just fodder

So my question is, the only unit I have who would actually benefit from that trace skill fodder is Selena, and even then i'm not entirely sure if she'll make good use of it. Since with those abysmal defenses she kind of needs windsweep to not instantly get blown up by any kind of counter attack. So should I just keep that windsweep or give her thta S/R trace skill? I do get a fair bit of use out of her, being my strongest cavalry nuke by a wide margin currently.

Selena.jpg

Edited by Faellin

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Faellin said:

I have an extra duo Azura from the AHR banner, free summoned 2 of her on the same ring. So the 2nd is just fodder

So my question is, the only unit I have who would actually benefit from that trace skill fodder is Selena, and even then i'm not entirely sure if she'll make good use of it. Since with those abysmal defenses she kind of needs windsweep to not instantly get blown up by any kind of counter attack. So should I just keep that windsweep or give her thta S/R trace skill? I do get a fair bit of use out of her, being my strongest cavalry nuke by a wide margin currently.

Selena.jpg

Selena is built for Windsweep. I'd suggest saving the fodder for someone who wants it more.

13 minutes ago, Faellin said:

So my question is, the only unit I have who would actually benefit from that trace skill fodder is Selena, and even then i'm not entirely sure if she'll make good use of it. Since with those abysmal defenses she kind of needs windsweep to not instantly get blown up by any kind of counter attack. So should I just keep that windsweep or give her thta S/R trace skill?

Selena's bulk is garbage. Duo Peony's bulk is 38/16/23, and Selena's isn't much better at 40/16/23.

Unless you're using her for game modes that don't have significant usage of Distant Counter or bows, I don't think she can afford to give up Windsweep.

Well guys after looking at your advice i decided to finish summoning for the spark on the AHR banner, it's true that 11 summons for a spark is actually a pretty good deal  although i had no idea who to go for in the spark at the time. So going in for those 11 summons, i got the following:

1x Dedue

1x Fallen Lyon

1x L!M!Byleth  (the 40th and last summon no less, he was also the first of these units that i pulled in the banner, very fitting that he should be the one closing it)

Honestly glad with the results, weird that i didn't get any off-focus units until now but 3 5*s in 11 summons is crazy good. I sparked Azura  as i think i may be able to use Fury 4, s/r trace, or even cross spur res somewhere some day. with this i now have two of each of the focus units.

now, i honestly have no use for Dedue ( i have 2 atm) but suppose i wanted to use that Near Save for some one, would Brave Edel be a good choice? I still use her a fair bit and i have never given her a Save skill but she's still a great armor imo. I honestly can't imagine using or building too many different near savers.

5 hours ago, Sil/phire said:

now, i honestly have no use for Dedue ( i have 2 atm) but suppose i wanted to use that Near Save for some one, would Brave Edel be a good choice? I still use her a fair bit and i have never given her a Save skill but she's still a great armor imo. I honestly can't imagine using or building too many different near savers.

Near Save Edelgard is actually decently common within my AR-O battles. Her defensive attributes and being able to keep up with Inf/Fly/Cav allies to always be ready to Near Save them can make it hard to properly counter her without at least some plan. Not me mind you, my units are all very capable of taking her on, but... right making her a Near Save unit.
Wouldn't take much to build her either, most people could even use all of Dedue's fodder on Edelgard (keep in mind you can get Sturdy Stance 2 from Altina in the 3/4 star pool) with her default skills.

As for other possible Near Save units, it is important to keep two things in mind: does the Armor unit do well on EP, and can the Armor unit operate when next to allies. You could theoretically make any Melee Armor a Near Save unit, though obviously some are better than others especially as age has caught up to them.

On 3/23/2022 at 2:35 PM, Faellin said:

I highly recommend keeping two copies. Having a Dancer/Singer that can Dance/Sing a second Dancer/Singer that can also Dance/Sing back to the first Dancer/Singer is very powerful. It makes one turn Galeforce a lot easier in Aether Raids and in PvE content.

So I am finally getting around to finishing my MS!Nanna and I am trying to decide which skills are best.  I have quite a bit of fodder I could use,  here is the list: Loki, W!Eirika, P!Genny and HS!Sakura.  I am just kind of stuck as to what would be best.  I know Palm Staff+ is considered a good staff for her and that is easy enough I am just not sure what else to go with. 

1 hour ago, EricaofRenais said:

So I am finally getting around to finishing my MS!Nanna and I am trying to decide which skills are best.  I have quite a bit of fodder I could use,  here is the list: Loki, W!Eirika, P!Genny and HS!Sakura.  I am just kind of stuck as to what would be best.  I know Palm Staff+ is considered a good staff for her and that is easy enough I am just not sure what else to go with. 

If you're going for combat performance, Observant Staff (from Saul) is the strongest (but has a fairly restrictive condition) followed by Palm Staff.

For support, there are a ton of options, like Melancholy, Flash, and Serpentine Staff, as well as the usual easy-to-get cheaper options, like Gravity and Pain.

The best passive A skill is Atk/Spd Catch, followed by either Atk/Spd Solo or Atk/Spd Push.

The B skill should obviously be either Wrathful Staff or Dazzling Staff, whichever one you didn't get on her weapon's refine.

Spd/Res Rein is the best C skill if you already have buff and debuff support on the team, but Atk/Spd Menace is an option if you don't. For a support role, you can run whatever support skill makes sense for the team, like Atk/Spd Menace, Savage Blow, or any of the Guidance or Orders skills.

Edited by Ice Dragon

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

If you're going for combat performance, Observant Staff (from Saul) is the strongest (but has a fairly restrictive condition) followed by Palm Staff.

For support, there are a ton of options, like Melancholy, Flash, and Serpentine Staff, as well as the usual easy-to-get cheaper options, like Gravity and Pain.

The best passive A skill is Atk/Spd Catch, followed by either Atk/Spd Solo or Atk/Spd Push.

The B skill should obviously be either Wrathful Staff or Dazzling Staff, whichever one you didn't get on her weapon's refine.

Spd/Res Rein is the best C skill if you already have buff and debuff support on the team, but Atk/Spd Menace is an option if you don't. For a support role, you can run whatever support skill makes sense for the team, like Atk/Spd Menace, Savage Blow, or any of the Guidance or Orders skills.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking of grabbing the Young Marth forma. He currently has distant stance, null follow up and ruptured sky.

Which skills would suit him better for a mainly enemy phase build?

1 hour ago, Karuu30 said:

Been thinking of grabbing the Young Marth forma. He currently has distant stance, null follow up and ruptured sky.

Young Marth [+Atk / +Spd]
Rapier / Winter Rapier+ [Atk / Spd]
[Assist]
Hero's Blood / Vital Astra / Ruptured Sky
Distant Storm / Distant Pressure / Kestrel Stance 3 / Atk/Spd Unity
Spurn 3 / Special Spiral 3
Joint Drive Atk / Joint Drive Spd / Atk/Spd Menace

Vital Astra is not yet available from Hall of Forms.

Even if the unit has an exclusive skill in a slot, I prefer to grab a different skill even if you don't think you'll ever use it, so I'd personally grab Winter Rapier and Ruptured Sky from Fall of Forms.

Special Spiral is used for making use of Rapier's Vantage effect, whereas Spurn is used for standard tanking. Personally, I'd grab Spurn simply because it's harder to get, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it to spend the resources to get both skills.

2 hours ago, Karuu30 said:

Aether Raids Super Tank:
+Spd
Pledged Blade — Bellringer — Winter Rapier
Spd Refinement
(Any Rally) — Harsh Command
Ruptured Sky
Distant Stance — Kestrel Stance
Spurn
Pulse Smoke
Just replace a high scoring Assist with Repostion or something once you have him in your Barracks. I strongly recommend Kestrel Stance if you are not running some kind of Counter, as Guard is pretty crucial to mitigate Special triggers in case you are not running enough Spd Mythics and he gets doubled; similarly Pulse Smoke will help stop most Galeforcers and mitigate some Blazing nukes.

Personally, I would go for something that is more dual phase since he comes with Rapier:
+Atk
(Any Weapon) — Ninja Katana
(Any Rally) — Harsh Command
Ruptured Sky
Distant Storm
Special Spiral — Null C-Disrupt
Fatal Smoke
You can swap out Special Spiral for something else if you have a lot of that fodder already, or you can go with Null C-Disrupt. Null C-Disrupt lets you Counter-Vantage against Firesweepers. If you have Null C-Disrupt already too, then you can go for Spurn or Frenzy too.

Edited by XRay

Any idea how far off Sedgar is from a GHB rerun?

I have enough grails right now for the final merge on mine. But don't want to spend them if I know he's up for a rerun soon.

Also on an unrelated note. How is Ullr as a unit outside of AR? I don't really care to much about the mode, so want to know if shes any good outside of it. Since i'm trying to decide if I should keep going for Chrom on this current legendary banner. And due to my strict 2 out of 3 rule, she is the deciding factor if I continue pulling on this, since Seiros I have 0 use for extra copies of

Edited by Faellin

1 hour ago, Faellin said:

Any idea how far off Sedgar is from a GHB rerun?

I have enough grails right now for the final merge on mine. But don't want to spend them if I know he's up for a rerun soon.

Assuming things are similar to last year, Sedgar is most likely going to appear next in the summer rerun event. Last year's occurred in early August and had 6 Grand Hero Battles, and Sedgar is fourth in line if they do the same thing this year.

Sedgar is seventh in line for a "normal" rerun, so the summer rerun would come sooner than his normally scheduled rerun.

1 hour ago, Faellin said:

Also on an unrelated note. How is Ullr as a unit outside of AR? I don't really care to much about the mode, so want to know if shes any good outside of it. Since i'm trying to decide if I should keep going for Chrom on this current legendary banner. And due to my strict 2 out of 3 rule, she is the deciding factor if I continue pulling on this, since Seiros I have 0 use for extra copies of

She has the offensive half of Null Follow-Up, the offensive half of Tempo, and unconditional Desperation, giving her a guaranteed Deadeye on the first round of combat each turn. The only archers that really compete with her in combat performance are the two Chroms due to having effective damage against armors.

And even if she eventually gets powercrept by other units, every single one of her inheritable skills is valuable.

Free summoned a child Mia, and was thinking of foddering her off to my Itsuki for that new B skill. Since he looks to be a decent user of it, since doesn't quite reach the benchmark to reliably use a damage reduction B skill. So I mostly rely on his strong mixed bulk instead.

I also am in need of a better C skill, which I was thinking rouse speed/def 4 from an extra Priam I have on hand. Since its a straight upgrade and I could grab that null followup with it as well

Itsuki.jpg

Edited by Faellin

Looking to give Seliph a budget build he is +Atk/-Def and no I'm not merging him up I just want  to budget build him to cover my weakness of not having enough units from particular games.

2 hours ago, Faellin said:

Free summoned a child Mia, and was thinking of foddering her off to my Itsuki for that new B skill. Since he looks to be a decent user of it, since doesn't quite reach the benchmark to reliably use a damage reduction B skill. So I mostly rely on his strong mixed bulk instead.

I also am in need of a better C skill, which I was thinking rouse speed/def 4 from an extra Priam I have on hand. Since its a straight upgrade and I could grab that null followup with it as well

If he is fast enough to use Null Follow-Up in whatever mode you are using him in, then he is fast to use Spd based Dodge skills. At least in PvE, Spd generally is not an issue; he will stuggle a bit with Spd in most PvP modes though, but he should be fine in Aether Raids if you have enough Spd Mythics.

I would not run Tempo on enemy phase tanks and dual phase units, as the opportunity cost to doing so is Dodge, and giving up Dodge is not worth it. Tempo is more for player phase nukes.

2 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Looking to give Seliph a budget build he is +Atk/-Def and no I'm not merging him up I just want  to budget build him to cover my weakness of not having enough units from particular games.

I would go with Ares instead if you want a sword unit from Geneology of the Holy War, as his base Weapon is already decent.

I would not bother with Seliph unless you plan to invest more into him.

And for a budget build, Ares would be cheaper to build since he can run a player phase build. For Seliph, if you are not even spending Feathers for merges, I do not see much point in giving him an enemy phase build, so I would just have him focus on green units and run Axebreaker on B and Triangle Adept or Death Blow on A.

4 hours ago, Faellin said:

If you're primarily using Itsuki on enemy phase, then Lull is better than Tempo. Tempo is more useful on player-phase units to prevent enemies from blocking your Special activation.

I personally prefer Menace skills over Rouse skills unless you are using him in maps or game modes where Panic is an issue. Similarly, upgrading a tier-3 Rouse skill to a tier-4 Rouse skill is also not worth it unless you absolutely need the ability to nullify Panic.

1 hour ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Wait for a [+Atk/-Res] copy or at least merge him to +1.

Seliph is not really worth using unless you can spend Divine Dew on him. Ares is more reliable and doesn't need a refine to function.

His Vantage gimmick build looks like this and is mostly intended to fight only two rounds of combat:

Seliph [+Atk]
Tyrfing [unique / Atk]
[Assist]
Vengeance
Fierce Stance 3 / any other skill that boosts Atk on enemy phase
Vantage 3
[Passive C]
Quick Riposte 3

A more standard enemy-phase build looks like:

Seliph [+Atk]
Divine Tyrfing [unique]
[Assist]
Bonfire / Moonbow
Fierce Stance 3 / any other skill that boosts Atk (and preferably also Def) on enemy phase
[Passive B]
[Passive C]
Atk/Def Form 3 / any other skill that boosts Atk (and preferably also Def) on enemy phase

If you can't spend Divine Dew on him, go with something like this:

Seliph [+Atk]
Steadfast Sword+ [Atk / Def]
[Assist]
Bonfire / Moonbow
Fierce Stance 3 / any other skill that boosts Atk (and preferably also Def) on enemy phase
Quick Riposte 3
[Passive C]
Atk/Def Form 3 / any other skill that boosts Atk (and preferably also Def) on enemy phase

You can get Steadfast Sword easily from Tanith.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

If you're primarily using Itsuki on enemy phase, then Lull is better than Tempo. Tempo is more useful on player-phase units to prevent enemies from blocking your Special activation.

I personally prefer Menace skills over Rouse skills unless you are using him in maps or game modes where Panic is an issue. Similarly, upgrading a tier-3 Rouse skill to a tier-4 Rouse skill is also not worth it unless you absolutely need the ability to nullify Panic.

Wait for a [+Atk/-Res] copy or at least merge him to +1.

Seliph is not really worth using unless you can spend Divine Dew on him. Ares is more reliable and doesn't need a refine to function.

His Vantage gimmick build looks like this and is mostly intended to fight only two rounds of combat:

Seliph [+Atk]
Tyrfing [unique / Atk]
[Assist]
Vengeance
Fierce Stance 3 / any other skill that boosts Atk on enemy phase
Vantage 3
[Passive C]
Quick Riposte 3

A more standard enemy-phase build looks like:

Seliph [+Atk]
Divine Tyrfing [unique]
[Assist]
Bonfire / Moonbow
Fierce Stance 3 / any other skill that boosts Atk (and preferably also Def) on enemy phase
[Passive B]
[Passive C]

If you can't spend Divine Dew on him, go with something like this:

Seliph [+Atk]
Steadfast Sword+ [Atk / Def]
[Assist]
Bonfire / Moonbow
Fierce Stance 3 / any other skill that boosts Atk (and preferably also Def) on enemy phase
Quick Riposte 3
[Passive C]

You can get Steadfast Sword easily from Tanith.

I think I can get him to +1 because I got the FEHPass one, so that's easy enough.

Any special C skills I should look out for?

5 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Atk Smoke would be most relevant for tanks in PvE, and it is cheap.

17 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

If you're sticking to a budget build, there aren't really any good picks since all of the C skills that benefit the unit with the skill are all premium skills.

Smoke skills are okay, but they don't work on the first round of combat each turn, and they're extremely unreliable on pure enemy-phase units. It's better than nothing, though.

However, if you're running a dual-phase build with Divine Tyrfing (trade out the A skill and Sacred Seal for something that works on both phases), then Atk Smoke (4-star Kaze) and Def Smoke (5-star Rath) are both decent options.

Most of my budget-build infantry units simply don't have a C skill at all since none of them are particularly impactful.

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Most of my budget-build infantry units simply don't have a C skill at all since none of them are particularly impactful.

...you don't mean literally right? Even a Drive Atk or Drive Spd can sometimes help?

30 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

...you don't mean literally right? Even a Drive Atk or Drive Spd can sometimes help?

I assume metaphorical, since C slots are not that impactful for budget builds. I personally prefer Hone Attack since Atk is pretty universally desired and I am pretty sure I have in excess of a hundred of them, and probably well over two hundred if I include 3* copies.

57 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I am, in fact, being literal.

Some of my really old units (Ayra, Bride Caeda, etc.) have Hone Atk or Hone Spd from way back in the day when Litrblade was still commonly used, but for the most part, my budget-build infantry either have the C skill they came with or nothing at all (i.e. also the C skill they came with).

The few units that actually have inherited C skills are the aforementioned old units with Hone Atk or Hone Spd, Brave Ike (who has Drive Def, but I don't remember why), support units (Lachesis, Bride Lyn, Brave Lucina, etc., who have a variety of Drives and/or Close/Distant Guard), a couple units that got Time's Pulse, and a couple units that got Atk/Spd Oath from Legendary Celica when I was giving them Swift Sparrow 3.

Going through units that I have actually put some skill inheritance on or use pretty regularly, I don't have a C skill on:

• +10 Alm [+Atk] (Falchion [unique], Reposition, Moonbow, Death Blow 3, Cancel Affinity 3)
  • +10 Mia [+Spd] (Resolute Blade, Reposition, Moonbow, Flashing Blade 3, Wrath 3)
  • +10 Bride Tharja [+Atk] (Muspell Fireposy, Reposition, Moonbow, Swift Sparrow 2, Desperation 3)
  • +10 Lukas [+Def] (Daybreak Lance, Reposition, Bonfire, Fortress Def 3, Quick Riposte 3)
  • +10 Nephenee [+Atk] (Dauntless Lance, Reposition, Bonfire, Distant Counter, Wrath 3)
  • +10 Fallen Corrin (F) [+Spd] (Savage Breath, Reposition, Moonbow, Atk/Spd Solo 3, Sudden Panic 3)
  • +10 Innes [+Atk] (Nidhogg, Draw Back, Iceberg, Atk/Res Bond 3, Dull Ranged 3)
  • +10 Genny [+Atk] (Springtime Staff [unique], Recover+, Heavenly Light, Atk/Res Push 3, Wrathful Staff 3)
  • +8 Masked Marth [=] (Falchion, Reciprocal Aid, Aether, Fury 3, Renewal 3)
  • +6 Robin (F) [=] (Gronnowl+ [Def], Reposition, Bonfire, Close Counter, Quick Riposte 3)

Of these, Corrin and Genny are still used pretty regularly, with Corrin being used in Pawns of Loki and Genny being a regular for Tempest Trials.

Masked Marth was used for quite some time in the early days of Tempest Trials as a healer when I didn't want to run a staff unit (back before the refinery gave staff units the ability to equip both Wrathful Staff and Dazzling Staff simultaneously).

Lukas and Nephenee were used in Arena Assault back when they were still capable of actually tanking things. Robin was used in Grand Hero Battle maps way back in the day.

Edited by Ice Dragon