"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

Got my first legendary Chrom after god knows how long. And of course he comes up +speed -attack.

I've seen quite a few speed based builds for him, but is that only worth trying at higher merges?

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts on Young Ilyana's Asset?

Atk, Spd, and Res all seem viable, which makes it hard to pick one of the other.

Res is the obvious favorite since she has Dragon Wall on her weapon, but Spd allows her a bit more player-phase presence since she doesn't have a guaranteed follow-up like Soren. Atk is unlikely to get picked over the other two, but it's still an option.

That said, she probably wants to run Quick Riposte anyways, so Spd isn't as important on a pure enemy-phase build, and she'd instead be able to build entirely for Atk and Res.

2 hours ago, Faellin said:

Got my first legendary Chrom after god knows how long. And of course he comes up +speed -attack.

I've seen quite a few speed based builds for him, but is that only worth trying at higher merges?

Personally, I think creeping Legendary Chrom's Spd is the way to go simply to increase the number of enemies that he'll be able to double.

The only real downside to running a Spd build that I can think of is the fact that Chrom could potentially get a refine down the line that gives him a both a guaranteed follow-up and Null Follow-Up, which would make a Spd build mostly worthless since the units that nullify the combination of a guaranteed follow-up and Null Follow-Up are likely too fast to double regardless. However, a refine for Chrom is likely at least a year out at this point, so I don't think that should really be a major concern.

I think I personally lean towards something like

Legendary Chrom [+Spd]
Randgridr
To Change Fate!
Deadeye / Ruptured Sky
Atk/Spd Ideal 4
Null Follow-Up 3 / Lull Atk/Spd 3 / Lull Spd/Def 3 / Spd/Def Tempo 3
Time's Pulse 3
Atk/Spd Solo 3 / Blade Session 3

The Special can be replaced with Moonbow (general use) or Aether (Arena scoring) for a cheaper build.

The A skill can be replaced with any of the typical Atk/Spd A skills.

I prefer Null Follow-Up on the B skill to counter the common follow-up negation effects on modern armors. However, the other options are there if you don't need the effect or if you can get the effect from a teammate (like Legendary Male Byleth, who is also a Water Legendary).

Edited by Ice Dragon

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Personally, I think creeping Legendary Chrom's Spd is the way to go simply to increase the number of enemies that he'll be able to double.

The only real downside to running a Spd build that I can think of is the fact that Chrom could potentially get a refine down the line that gives him a both a guaranteed follow-up and Null Follow-Up, which would make a Spd build mostly worthless since the units that nullify the combination of a guaranteed follow-up and Null Follow-Up are likely too fast to double regardless. However, a refine for Chrom is likely at least a year out at this point, so I don't think that should really be a major concern.

I think I personally lean towards something like

Legendary Chrom [+Spd]
Randgridr
To Change Fate!
Deadeye / Ruptured Sky
Atk/Spd Ideal 4
Null Follow-Up 3 / Lull Atk/Spd 3 / Lull Spd/Def 3 / Spd/Def Tempo 3
Time's Pulse 3

The Special can be replaced with Moonbow (general use) or Aether (Arena scoring) for a cheaper build.

The A skill can be replaced with any of the typical Atk/Spd A skills.

I prefer Null Follow-Up on the B skill to counter the common follow-up negation effects on modern armors. However, the other options are there if you don't need the effect or if you can get the effect from a teammate (like Legendary Male Byleth, who is also a Water Legendary).

The big thing i'm worried about is i'm just not sure if it would be feasible at low merges. I've never been one to go out of my way to merge any 5 star exclusive character. So I doubt i'm going to be getting anywhere near that. At most i'll try to atleast get a +1 if their IVs are absolutely terrible

27 minutes ago, Faellin said:

The big thing i'm worried about is i'm just not sure if it would be feasible at low merges. I've never been one to go out of my way to merge any 5 star exclusive character. So I doubt i'm going to be getting anywhere near that. At most i'll try to atleast get a +1 if their IVs are absolutely terrible

Even at +0+0, I think it's still viable. With something simple like double Atk/Spd Solo 3, you're hitting 42 Spd (with another 3 Spd possible from Dragonflowers), which lets you push into doubling mid-Spd tanks, like Ash (32 Spd at neutral +10+5) or Legendary Fae (38 effective Spd at neutral +10+5).

Hey~ (yep I still play this from time to time).

So as time has passed I've come into possession of a few more of my personal favorites and just some fun units but dont entirely know what I want to do with them so I'd like some advice for them.

Ilyana

My favorite FE9-10 mage. +10ing her is a no brainers but with her stat spread I'm not sure what to do. Her ATK Is massive and something like a Special Spiral Build would be fun, but her RES is so stacked she could run an EP build or a Close Ward build with Mystic Boost for dragons. Lull ATK/RES is also a no brainer and I have the fodder.

Theres also Mirror Impact but she isnt the fastest so I feel like she wants to nuke with her special since she likely wont double. Mirror Stance is also a thing but feels less necessary when Spider Plush+ exists and is probably one of her best options, Drifting Grace+ seems better for Miriel or a speedier blue mages. It really seems like a Special Spiral build with TP would be the way to go or something.

Needless to say, I need help.

Ilyana (Young)

Because she has a prf and a lull skill in her B slot this is a bit easier. She probably wants QR in her seal slot but it still begs the question of her a skill. A stance skill perhaps? I have no ATK/RES Unity fodder so that's out of the question.

Boyd (Young)

Here is the thing, I have a fully invested Ross. +10, Full DF +ATK/+SPD with a DC/Spurn build. Looking at what's changed, Ross is probably due for a Prf, Basillio and Gonzales are literally STRICTLY better versions of Ross, stat wise. Better in almost every way.

I like Gonzales and considered building him. but Boyd looks to be the better option. Shamir and Hana are the go tos for a speedy axe (leaning towards Shamir) but none of them hit even close to as hard as Boyd and he seems like the better version of the male inf axes.

Now how should I build him? I dont want to copy Ross, his build is better on a faster axe. Boyd's ATK is so nonsense I definitely want to take advantage of that but I don't know where to start.

Erk

The easiest of them to build. He's +SPD and +4 but unbuilt. How should I go about building him? It seems like he'd love an Ideal A slot but it seems like a missed opportunity without Luminous Grace+ which I dont have. Drifting Grace+ is easy to get so it seems like it would be better to put the Ideal skill on Miriel since she can get the tome to match.

Build ideas would be nice but the biggest question is, what Tome should he use?

As always I appreciate the help.

Edited by Zeo

30 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Ilyana

My favorite FE9-10 mage. +10ing her is a no brainers but with her stat spread I'm not sure what to do. Her ATK Is massive and something like a Special Spiral Build would be fun, but her RES is so stacked she could run an EP build or a Close Ward build with Mystic Boost for dragons. Lull ATK/RES is also a no brainer and I have the fodder.

Theres also Mirror Impact but she isnt the fastest so I feel like she wants to nuke with her special since she likely wont double. Mirror Stance is also a thing but feels less necessary when Spider Plush+ exists and is probably one of her best options, Drifting Grace+ seems better for Miriel or a speedier blue mages. It really seems like a Special Spiral build with TP would be the way to go or something.

For enemy phase, her best build right now is probably something like this:

Ilyana [+???]
Spider Plush+ [Res]
[Assist]
Ruptured Sky / Moonbow / Glimmer
Atk/Res Solo 4 / Atk/Res Unity / Close Ward
Lull Atk/Res 3 / Quick Riposte 3
Joint Distant Guard / Atk/Res Menace / etc.
Quick Riposte 3 / Atk/Res Form 3 / etc.

As a note, Close Ward doesn't require running Mystic Boost. It already nullifies targeting the lower defensive stat.

Lull Atk/Res + Quick Riposte is better in game modes where the opponent is expected to have field buffs, whereas Quick Riposte + Atk/Res Form is better elsewhere (if you don't need to tank physical units).

Ilyana does have the option to run some less conventional builds with her stat spread, like stacking Spd or patching up her Def, but I think those are generally better for AI-controlled builds than player-controlled builds.

If you want to use her for player phase, her Spd isn't so bad that you can't run a conventional build like this:

Ilyana [+Spd]
Drifting Grace+ [Spd]
[Assist]
Atk/Spd Ideal 4 / Atk/Spd Solo 4 / Swift Sparrow 3
Lull Spd/Res 3 / Lull Atk/Spd 3 / Desperation 3 / etc.
Time's Pulse 3 / Atk/Spd Menace / etc.
Atk/Spd Solo 3 / Blade Session 3 / etc.

Drifting Grace is set to return pretty soon on a Double Special Heroes banner, and Levn is a 4-star summon, so it shouldn't be too hard to get extra copies.

59 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Ilyana (Young)

Because she has a prf and a lull skill in her B slot this is a bit easier. She probably wants QR in her seal slot but it still begs the question of her a skill. A stance skill perhaps? I have no ATK/RES Unity fodder so that's out of the question.

I'm honestly not sure how to exactly to build Young Ilyana. I'm currently leaning towards something like this:

Young Ilyana [+???]
Windy War Tome
[Assist]
Mirror Stance 3 / Atk/Res Unity
Lull Atk/Res 3 / Quick Riposte 3
Joint Distant Guard / Time's Pulse 3 / Atk/Res Menace / etc.
Quick Riposte 3 / Atk/Res Form 3 / etc.

Her Spd is less salvageable than her normal version's, but it might still be worth running a Spd/Res-based build since her Spd isn't completely awful.

No clue on her best Asset.

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

Boyd (Young)

Here is the thing, I have a fully invested Ross. +10, Full DF +ATK/+SPD with a DC/Spurn build. Looking at what's changed, Ross is probably due for a Prf, Basillio and Gonzales are literally STRICTLY better versions of Ross, stat wise. Better in almost every way.

I like Gonzales and considered building him. but Boyd looks to be the better option. Shamir and Hana are the go tos for a speedy axe (leaning towards Shamir) but none of them hit even close to as hard as Boyd and he seems like the better version of the male inf axes.

Now how should I build him? I dont want to copy Ross, his build is better on a faster axe. Boyd's ATK is so nonsense I definitely want to take advantage of that but I don't know where to start.

Ross is still quite a ways away as far as refines go, being seventh in line in the 4-star schedule, but we're no longer getting a guaranteed 4-star character every month anymore due the fact that 4-star refines have now caught up to 5-star refines.

Boyd is weird. He's basically a slightly stronger, slightly slower Charlotte, but only on odd-numbered turns, having +6.9 Atk and -3 Spd compared to Charlotte. On even-numbered turns, he's still strictly better than Gonzalez.

I think he should be built something like this:

Young Boyd [+Spd]
Large War Axe
[Assist]
Atk/Spd Ideal 4 / Surge Sparrow / Distant Pressure
Frenzy 3 / Spurn 3
Odd Tempest 3

Odd Tempest is there to make sure he can reach a target when his weapon is at its strongest. Time's Pulse or Atk/Spd Menace can be used instead for better combat performance.

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

Erk

The easiest of them to build. He's +SPD and +4 but unbuilt. How should I go about building him? It seems like he'd love an Ideal A slot but it seems like a missed opportunity without Luminous Grace+ which I dont have. Drifting Grace+ is easy to get so it seems like it would be better to put the Ideal skill on Miriel since she can get the tome to match.

Erk is just a standard Spd-based tome unit. You can build him exactly like any other.

Luminous Grace+ [Spd] is the best inheritable red tome for him, but his default Raudhrfox+ [Spd] is fine as is, as it's the best option from the standard summoning pool. Raudhrblade+ is obviously also always an option.

Ideal is worth running even without reliable healing. Atk/Spd Ideal 4 should be interpreted as +7 Atk/Spd if you have a Bonus active and an additional +2 Atk/Spd on your first round of combat, which makes it better than all other Atk/Spd skills in the A slot on your first round of combat and equal in strength on subsequent rounds of combat.

Atk/Spd Ideal 3 is the best Atk/Spd skill in the A slot obtainable from units in the standard summoning pool, though Atk/Spd Solo 3 is a better tier-3 skill if you have access to it.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:41 AM, Faellin said:

I also second a Spd build simply so he can double armor units more easily. While merges do help, they are not super necessary. He can easily reach the low 40s with minimal skill investment, and you can swing the stats further to the high 40s with buffs.

On 4/9/2022 at 3:04 AM, Ice Dragon said:

Thoughts on Young Ilyana's Asset?

Atk, Spd, and Res all seem viable, which makes it hard to pick one of the other.

Res is the obvious favorite since she has Dragon Wall on her weapon, but Spd allows her a bit more player-phase presence since she doesn't have a guaranteed follow-up like Soren. Atk is unlikely to get picked over the other two, but it's still an option.

That said, she probably wants to run Quick Riposte anyways, so Spd isn't as important on a pure enemy-phase build, and she'd instead be able to build entirely for Atk and Res.

Depends on the role. I lean towards Atk/Res for tanking and Spd/Res for super tanks. You can also do Atk/Spd for player phase, but I do not see much point in doing so since you want to swap out her Weapon for something that gives more Spd.

I lean towards Atk/Res for regular tanking since her Def is a bit low for super tanks.

3 hours ago, Zeo said:

Ilyana

I lean towards player phase since she already comes with a Fox tome and she is not that slow. Enemy phase as a mage tank is also fine though.

I am personally not a fan of high HP player phase builds in general because they do not work with Wings of Mercy; while this is just a matter of preference for melee units, the same is not true for ranged units. While melee units can pull off high HP player phase builds due to higher bulk and better skill access (Surges for additional healing; Spurn for infantry; Flow Guard for fliers and cavalry), most ranged units have far more difficulty doing so since their overall bulk is lower and they have much less skill access to give them additional bulk. I would not recommend Drifting Grace unless she is only fighting other mages and melee units that cannot counter attack.

With Drifting Grace, you can pull off a dual phase build, but similar to above, it is not as ideal compared to melee units since they have better bulk and skill access, and you have still have to be careful around archers on either phase and melee units on enemy phase.

4 hours ago, Zeo said:

Guard is more important, so I lean towards Mirror Stance.

However, note that Guard can be offloaded to a staff unit via Tannenbaton, so if you have Elimine, Ilyana: Awakened Appetite can double stack Dodge and can run something else other than Stance on the A slot.

4 hours ago, Zeo said:

Boyd: Future Great is better off as player phase unit in my opinion since it is generally easier to pick when and where to battle as a nuke, and player phase units in general need less skill effects to work well so he should still be usable on even turns, although quite a bit lackluster.

I am not a huge fan of his gimmick, but I second Odd Tempest as well. Time's Pulse could also work and it would help boost his even turn performance, but I think that skill is better off on a more consistent unit. If you are bothering to use Boyd: Future Great, then consistency is probably not a huge priority.

4 hours ago, Zeo said:

Erk

A player phase build would be fine. I lean towards Rauðrblade myself, but Rauðrfox is okay too if you are worried about Lulls and bonus negation.

Similar to what I said about Ilyana, I am not a fan of Luminous Grace for ranged units. It is risky for player phase nukes since they will lack Desperation, and dual phase units are not that much better and are still limited in their selection of foes they can safely face off.

7 minutes ago, Karuu30 said:

Currently building up L’Arachel: Princess of Light. Been debating which would be a better B slot for her, Far Trace or Lull?

Lull is better in game modes where the opponent is likely to use Bonuses, like high Arena. Trace is better in game modes that favor mobility.

I'd still prefer Desperation due to her extremely low physical bulk. You can run Atk/Spd Push 4 to reduce the healing from her refine if you find it difficult to keep Desperation active.

On 4/10/2022 at 9:02 PM, XRay said:

I also second a Spd build simply so he can double armor units more easily. While merges do help, they are not super necessary. He can easily reach the low 40s with minimal skill investment, and you can swing the stats further to the high 40s with buffs.

So something this possibly?

Atk/spd ideal 4, lull spd/def, atk/spd oath 3

I can get the ideal / oath combo from the Louise manual in codes 3 lineup since its on the way to what i'm really after on the path. And I still have a lull spd/def from a NY Lethe manual from a few months ago

24 minutes ago, Faellin said:

I can get the ideal / oath combo from the Louise manual in codes 3 lineup since its on the way to what i'm really after on the path. And I still have a lull spd/def from a NY Lethe manual from a few months ago

I wouldn't say Oath is necessary to have on him, since all it provides is an Atk/Spd field buff that can be supplied from other sources (he himself can get Atk+6 from his prf assist), and other skills can provide better effects (Time's Pulse, Menace skills, Drives, even rouseAS4 is overall better due to the additional Null Panic effect)

But if Oath is all you can afford, then it does do a good enough job at helping Chrom out. ASideal4 and LullSD both check out as well.

57 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

But if Oath is all you can afford, then it does do a good enough job at helping Chrom out. ASideal4 and LullSD both check out as well.

I can probably try to pull for something better later. Its just this is going to come with the ideal 4. So might as well make use of all the fodder value I can from it. Atk/spd menace might be more valuable, and since i'm planning on sniping blue hard on the june legendary banner for Ullr, I might have a shot at stocking up on that fodder as well

A surprise Shinon rerun would also be useful for deadeye + time pulse

Also the -attack IV mine came with, I managed to get another copy last night. So Brought him to that +1 to fix that

Edited by Faellin

4 hours ago, Karuu30 said:

Currently building up L’Arachel: Princess of Light. Been debating which would be a better B slot for her, Far Trace or Lull?

I would also stick with Desperation since her physical bulk is kind of abysmal, and if Atk/Spd Push on A is not enough, there is also Fury on Sacred Seal to deal additional damage.

Her Weapon is dual phase, and while you can use her that way, I think it is super risky since ranged threats in my opinion are about 50/50 to 40/60 split in ratio of physical to magical nukes, so not being able to deal with 40-50% of enemies due to low physical bulk is iffy.

1 hour ago, Faellin said:

So something this possibly?

Sounds fine. I prefer Time's Pulse on C to improve performance since buffs can be offloaded. Fatal Smoke can also help against annoying bulky tanks that heal.

All thats left is time pulse + deadeye for Chrom now. I'm also in the process of repurposing my old +10 Corrin to be a speed battery. All thats left is an apotheosis Anna for that joint drive + atk/spd ruse fodder combo

The deadeye + time pulse from Chrom i'll have to try and grab a Shinon or extra Ullr once they rerun. But as is, this should be more then enough to ramp up Chrom's speed to a decent level.

Corn chrom.jpg

Edited by Faellin

Trying to plan out my orb spending for april and may now.

And currently the following are on my "Maybe" list. Those being legendary Micaiah, Elimine, and legendary female Byleth, and legendary Eliwood (although most likely due for a remix later this year, so I don't mind waiting for that)

And since I don't really care much about AR or summoner duels, I doubt Elimine will be of much use for me. And since I have a forma brave Micaiah heavily decked out, her legendary is a very low priority.

So its basically just me asking, how good is legendary female Byleth? I see literally no discusion going on about her at all. I doubt she's terrible or anything. I'm guessing just very forgettable. Its just for me, expanding my wind and earth legendary lineups would be beneficial. Since for wind its basically just Sigurd, Hrid and Lucina for my legendaries of that season, so more couldn't hurt.

As for Eliwood, I know he's dedicated support. But from what i've heard he's damn good at it. But as I brought up, if he isn't something super broken currently. I don't mind waiting for his remix

Edited by Faellin

9 minutes ago, Faellin said:

As for Eliwood, I know he's dedicated support. But from what i've heard he's damn good at it. But as I brought up, if he isn't something super broken currently. I don't mind waiting for his remix

Eliwood provides All Stat +6,  Bonus Doubler status, and a possible Feint/Ruse trigger on enemies through his default kit, which admittedly is not bad. Granted he has to be on a team with a Beast/Dragon ally to grant half of those stat bonuses, and the boosts are only granted to the unit or units with the highest Atk stat, but what becomes All Stat +12 is not to be underestimated, especially if run on a unit who operates off Bonuses anyway.

Worth keeping in mind, however, is that his boosts become worthless when Lulls and Panic are taken into account, and Astrid functions very similarly if you happen to already have her.

I recall the gimmick around Eliwood was based around balancing the Atk values of his three (or at least two) allies so that multiple units benefit from his buffs. Fun in theory but in practice I messed around with it for a day then never used him again. Not saying that supporting one unit is worthless of course, but I'd be reluctant to sacrifice the slot on the team for that. So yeah, I would definitely wait on the remix, especially as you have higher odds of pulling him on a remix banner than a legendary/mythic one anyway.

For Byleth I think the lack of discussion is probably simply down to the male variant being commonly considered better in both combat performance and support. Helps that he also was much more obtainable thanks to AHR. Of course none of that helps you when looking for a Wind legendary.

Edited by Humanoid

And since I don't really care much about AR or summoner duels, I doubt Elimine will be of much use for me.

Elimine is useless in Summoner Duels. The mention of Summoner Duels in her weapon effect is there to tell you that most of its effects don't apply there.

Elimine's primary purpose outside of Aether Raids is essentially identical to that of Flayn. It's also worth noting that she counts as a Roy-head unit and not as a Lyn-head unit.

And since I have a forma brave Micaiah heavily decked out, her legendary is a very low priority.

Brave Micaiah is completely different from Legendary Micaiah.

Legendary Micaiah functions similarly to regular Micaiah. The only major differences other than better stats and a different color is that Legendary Micaiah's damage reduction has no restrictions based on enemy type, her exclusive Assist skill is Sacrifice and Harsh Command+ combined, and her weapon only comes with Desperation 2 and she can't run Desperation 3 due to her exclusive passive skill taking up the B slot.

Brave Micaiah is a debuffer and debuff exploiter.

So its basically just me asking, how good is legendary female Byleth? I see literally no discusion going on about her at all. I doubt she's terrible or anything. I'm guessing just very forgettable. Its just for me, expanding my wind and earth legendary lineups would be beneficial. Since for wind its basically just Sigurd, Hrid and Lucina for my legendaries of that season, so more couldn't hurt.

She's essentially a slightly different version of Legendary Male Byleth.

Female Byleth has "Joint Drive Tempo" that's always active when initiating combat and buffs herself with +7 Atk/Spd, Null Follow-Up, and Warp Powder as Bonuses when starting the turn within 2 spaces of an ally.

Male Byleth has "Joint Drive Null Follow-Up" that's always active when initiating combat, fully charges his Special at the start of every turn with Time's Pulse, and has a Special that deals slightly more damage and ignores percentage damage reduction.

Female Byleth's advantages are that her Special cannot be stopped by Guard, she has Warp Powder mobility, and self-buffs herself with a superior +7 Atk/Spd without the need of support. However, she has no way around percentage damage reduction. However, because female Byleth's Special is intended to land on the second hit, it gets around Fallen Edelgard's damage reduction on the first hit.

Male Byleth's advantages are that his Special ignores percentage damage reduction and deals slightly more damage, but he's vulnerable to Guard if he engages in more than one round of combat in a single turn.

Both Legendary Byleths are intended to function as Fallen Edelgard counters and as Null Follow-Up Windsweepers.

Female Byleth is also really good skill fodder, as she has both Atk/Spd Ideal 4 and Ruptured Sky.

Legendary Eliwood is good support because he grants Bonus Doubler and +6 Atk/Def to the unit(s) with the highest Atk excluding himself, but he's rather inflexible due to the fact that you can't choose the target(s) of his buffs once you're in a map and the fact that the +6 Atk/Def requires a beast or dragon unit on the team.

Astrid does virtually the same thing, but applies Bonus Doubler (and +1 Movement) when she uses a Rally Assist instead of as a start-of-turn effect. This gives you the benefit of being able to pick a target for the buffs as well as the stats given by the Rally, but comes at the cost of an action and can only be applied to one unit per action.

Eliwood's main issues right now are the fact that his buffs are inflexible and require more preparation at the point of team building and the fact that he has poor combat performance due to the complete lack of combat effects on his weapon. He's good, but I wouldn't consider him a must-have, and it'd be better to wait for his Remix to pull for him.

12 hours ago, Faellin said:

And currently the following are on my "Maybe" list. Those being legendary Micaiah, Elimine, and legendary female Byleth, and legendary Eliwood (although most likely due for a remix later this year, so I don't mind waiting for that)

Micaiah: Radiant Queen is pretty nice, but so are most modern nukes these days, so I do not think she is a must have.

And since I don't really care much about AR or summoner duels, I doubt Elimine will be of much use for me. And since I have a forma brave Micaiah heavily decked out, her legendary is a very low priority.

Elimine is largely interchangeable with Flayn, but can be slightly stronger depending on the team composition if you choose to invest a bit more into her. Flayn's damage reduction support comes from her Weapon, while Elimine moves that effect to the C slot so her Weapon slot is free to provide an additional Guard effect via Tannenbaton.

She is pretty good, and I would say she is better than most nukes due to her combination of abilies.

Most nukes are all interchangeable with each other, so if you already have a strong nuke, you do not really need another one. However, the nukes that really stand out are ranged Galeforcers and ranged tank Sweepers. I think Byleth: The Fódlan Light is one of the best wall breakers right now due to reliable damage output (being able to trigger Specials consistently and have Null Follow-Up) and being able to run Sweeps on B for safety.

Off the top of my head, other ranged nukes that can Sweep tanks are Ishtar, Lyn: Lady of the Wind, Sue, Merric: Changing Winds, Byleth: The Fódlan Star, Soren: Hushed Voice, and basically any infantry thief with decent Atk/Spd.

He is a bit dated in my opinion. He works best on a super tank team that uses lots of long range support. He works well with Edelgard: Hegemon Husk for example, and you just Smite her in and watch enemies throw themselves at her and suicide. You may also want to consider having Eir on the team to provide lond distance healing, and maybe Ashera or Chrom: Fate-Defying Duo to counter penalties.

10 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I recall the gimmick around Eliwood was based around balancing the Atk values of his three (or at least two) allies so that multiple units benefit from his buffs. Fun in theory but in practice I messed around with it for a day then never used him again. Not saying that supporting one unit is worthless of course, but I'd be reluctant to sacrifice the slot on the team for that. So yeah, I would definitely wait on the remix, especially as you have higher odds of pulling him on a remix banner than a legendary/mythic one anyway.

Yeah, his utility is pretty limited, so it is pretty much restricted to super tank teams that does not care you are only supporting one super unit.

Edited by XRay

This is not a question related to the building of a unit, let me say that first.

What do you believe are the odds that the merge limit will be increased at any point in the lifespan of FEH, and what should I do with all of these 5* manuals which I have not ever used in years? Explanation below.

Spoiler

I have a lot of units from the first few years of Feh at +10 merge, especially 5* exclusives. As one may know, a lot of the 5* exclusives from back then have absolute garbage for skill inheritance, or at the very least overshadowed by better options released on later units like Takumi (Close Counter) or even made available on demote units like Siegbert (Atk Tactics), or that I plain do not use (Goads and Wards are pretty good examples). So as you may imagine, I just threw merges onto those units as I got them. Over time many of those units eventually became +10 and could no longer have merges put on them... which became an issue when I would occasionally still get those units despite their summons being absolutely worthless to me otherwise, and ESPECIALLY especially when some of those same units would get Resplendent alts that I would buy into because why wouldn't I, I like to give to the units I have built up, but that would mean having a 5* freebie that I could do nothing with.

I don't like building multiples of a unit either. It just feels like a massive waste of time. I know there are things I could do with multiples of the same unit, but that really only applies to support units and they really don't need merges to support any better.

So that leaves me with a lot of early years units whose fodder I can do nothing with (either because it's garbage, has since been deemed not that great to get from 5* units, or are skills I just do not use) and whose manuals do nothing for me because they've already been fully merged. Just to give an example, I have 8 manuals of Elincia, who gives Flier Formation, which is a skill I do not use and have never had a reason to use on any units other than those who already come with it.
If that's a bad example, how about Leif, a unit whose fodder is either garbage, demoted since his release, or just completely niche when compared to alternatives. Azura's skills were all demote from the beginning, and Sapphire Lance is a joke. Julia has literally nothing to offer. I haven't given anyone a Bladetome in years, so this Nino book has just been gathering dust. And yes, all of the above mentioned units I have +10 merged.

So yeah it seems like having all these useless manuals would do me no good... but there's always the paranoid thought in my head that they might increase the merge limit, and thus when I could have had a theoretical +20 Elincia easily, I instead just have 8k extra feathers.

39 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

What do you believe are the odds that the merge limit will be increased at any point in the lifespan of FEH,

Zero.

I would have given a low, but non-zero, number prior to the release of Dragonflowers, but I now consider the odds to be actually zero. Unlike most other games where extra copies of units after a full "merge" are actually completely useless (and typically give you some form of consolation currency to make up for it), FEH has an alternate use for extra copies. Not increasing the merge limit is what gives players confidence to spend their extra copies of rare units on skill inheritance instead of hoarding them for a potential future limit increase.

39 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

and what should I do with all of these 5* manuals which I have not ever used in years?

Feather piggy bank.

Edited by Ice Dragon

On 4/14/2022 at 10:49 PM, Xenomata said:

This is not a question related to the building of a unit, let me say that first.

What do you believe are the odds that the merge limit will be increased at any point in the lifespan of FEH, and what should I do with all of these 5* manuals which I have not ever used in years? Explanation below.

Reveal hidden contents

I have a lot of units from the first few years of Feh at +10 merge, especially 5* exclusives. As one may know, a lot of the 5* exclusives from back then have absolute garbage for skill inheritance, or at the very least overshadowed by better options released on later units like Takumi (Close Counter) or even made available on demote units like Siegbert (Atk Tactics), or that I plain do not use (Goads and Wards are pretty good examples). So as you may imagine, I just threw merges onto those units as I got them. Over time many of those units eventually became +10 and could no longer have merges put on them... which became an issue when I would occasionally still get those units despite their summons being absolutely worthless to me otherwise, and ESPECIALLY especially when some of those same units would get Resplendent alts that I would buy into because why wouldn't I, I like to give to the units I have built up, but that would mean having a 5* freebie that I could do nothing with.

I don't like building multiples of a unit either. It just feels like a massive waste of time. I know there are things I could do with multiples of the same unit, but that really only applies to support units and they really don't need merges to support any better.

So that leaves me with a lot of early years units whose fodder I can do nothing with (either because it's garbage, has since been deemed not that great to get from 5* units, or are skills I just do not use) and whose manuals do nothing for me because they've already been fully merged. Just to give an example, I have 8 manuals of Elincia, who gives Flier Formation, which is a skill I do not use and have never had a reason to use on any units other than those who already come with it.
If that's a bad example, how about Leif, a unit whose fodder is either garbage, demoted since his release, or just completely niche when compared to alternatives. Azura's skills were all demote from the beginning, and Sapphire Lance is a joke. Julia has literally nothing to offer. I haven't given anyone a Bladetome in years, so this Nino book has just been gathering dust. And yes, all of the above mentioned units I have +10 merged.

So yeah it seems like having all these useless manuals would do me no good... but there's always the paranoid thought in my head that they might increase the merge limit, and thus when I could have had a theoretical +20 Elincia easily, I instead just have 8k extra feathers.

Takumi is still good for making inheriting higher tier Close Counters more efficient, so I recommend keeping copies of him. Same with Hector.

Leif got Blazing Light and that is not in the regular 4* pool, so that is something that is somewhat rare. I prefer Blazing Wind so I do not really use any other Blazing Specials, but I still keep Blazing Light and Growing Thunder fodder around to load up my favorite units on skills, even if they do not really use them. Same with Flier Formation. I guess I recommend keeping harder to obtain skills just in case you need them, like around three copies or so.

For Manuals like Azura and Julia, I guess you can turn them into Feathers.

I personally just keep everything and not send anything Home, in the off chance they do something with older Manuals. While I do need more Feathers, I am not in a huge rush to use them, and most of my Feather usage is mainly to get Aether and Galeforce.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Takumi is still good for making inheriting higher tier Close Counters more efficient, so I recommend keeping copies of him. Same with Hector.

Leif got Blazing Light and that is not in the regular 4* pool, so that is something that is somewhat rare. I prefer Blazing Wind so I do not really use any other Blazing Specials, but I still keep Blazing Light and Growing Thunder fodder around to load up my favorite units on skills, even if they do not really use them. Same with Flier Formation. I guess I recommend keeping harder to obtain skills just in case you need them, like around three copies or so.

For Manuals like Azura and Julia, I guess you can turn them into Feathers.

I personally just keep everything and not send anything Home, in the off chance they do something with older Manuals. While I do need more Feathers, I am not in a huge rush to use them, and most of my Feather usage is mainly to get Aether and Galeforce.

I mean what I listed were just a few examples of the units who I literally have nothing I can do with their manuals. It's one thing when I just have a bunch of manuals doing nothing, it's another when there are so many manuals that it is cluttering my... bookshelf?

Spoiler

hXJFg3Wl.jpg?1OVfSwJsl.jpg?1T8KR6uGl.jpg?1WM7y8ail.jpg?1XIC0YIrl.jpg?1

I'm not asking to justify the existence of all my manuals (because frankly most of them are just units I keep in the reserve barracks and have been too lazy to take out for the sake of a few merges), but I am trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do with... why the goddamn do I have a Lukas manual???

6 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I mean what I listed were just a few examples of the units who I literally have nothing I can do with their manuals. It's one thing when I just have a bunch of manuals doing nothing, it's another when there are so many manuals that it is cluttering my... bookshelf?

This is mostly personal preference, but I like having a large library. I keep everything, but for Manuals like Julia, you probably do not need to keep.

6 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I'm not asking to justify the existence of all my manuals (because frankly most of them are just units I keep in the reserve barracks and have been too lazy to take out for the sake of a few merges), but I am trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do with... why the goddamn do I have a Lukas manual???

Lukas got Killer Lance, so it helps the receiving unit get Slaying Lance out of him if you do not have a lot of Nephenees.

So I'm a dummy who doesn't read skill descriptions very well, and until the recent discussion in the New Heroes thread I was simply thinking "hey, I was told Young Innes is a great foot archer and Shinon has skills that foot archers want" and that was as far as my planning went. I didn't even know Innes' whole schtick was about negating damage reduction. Now I realise it'd probably be stupid to sack one of my two spare Shinons to give Deadeye and Time's Pulse to him. Or is it? I have a bad habit of holding onto fodder until it becomes obsolete though so I figure I should still use at least one of my Shinons while keeping the other around for a future next-gen archer.

I guess what I'm asking is whether this line of thinking is correct. Would a Young Innes merged to say, +4 to +6 still benefit more from Deadeye and Time's Pulse than literally my only other reasonably current foot archer Shamir, who seems she'd have really good synergy with those skills given her ho-hum default special and C-skill? She's unmerged and neutral so nothing too impressive there either. (Speaking of which, in another doesn't-read-skills fail, I didn't realise she had conditional sweep)

P.S. I had a look at my non-infantry archers too of course, my most used archer by far is Pirate Hinoka, but other than Deadeye itself she seems to have no use for the other skills. And Legendary Leif is a no-go for obvious reasons. Next best in their movement classes are probably CYL Claude and Bernadetta, but I don't use either and see no particular skill synergy for them anyway.