"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

39 minutes ago, Faellin said:

For Asbel forma, life and death 4 or flashing blade 4? Going to be giving him an AoE special if I redeem him, and since those are in the 4 star pool i'm just going to inherit one to him if I redeem him. My top priority is obviously a better A skill, and for an AoE special setup life and death or flashing blade 4 feel like the best choices.

As for Sara, any general improvements I should aim for?

This is the first HoF i'm tempted to redeem 2 units off of a single lineup

LnD 4 gives +17 overall extra damage compared to Flashing Blades +5, although it is true damage. Although if you combine Flashing Blade and LnD seal the overall damage to the unit you're targeting is also +17. The benefit of LnD 4 is more splash damage on everything and that unit can run Hardy Bearing. While the other option lets you break through Guard effects, but I don't think that's as common. I guess Guard is probably more common than Vantage unless you're playing in the lower tiers of stuff.

That Sara looks pretty good. Canto Control and Grandscratcher are generally the things you're looking for outside of her base kit.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went into the War Room and did not see what I am about to ask. I am wondering if there is another part of the forum that deals with level specific problems. I am having trouble with the latest 8.5 and not finding a lot of YouTube videos.

Ok I have a question on Yuri, I have a +res copy and of course the free neutral plus one I turned in to a manual that was also +res.  I am thinking of merging since I like Yuri and I have other units with his good fodder if I need it.  Anyway I wanted to know if +res or neutral was better and what I should give him for an A skill. 

1 hour ago, jameslove001 said:

I went into the War Room and did not see what I am about to ask. I am wondering if there is another part of the forum that deals with level specific problems.

Nah, this is the catch-all thread for all questions (and no one will complain even if there is another thread out there for the specific topic).

22 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Ok I have a question on Yuri, I have a +res copy and of course the free neutral plus one I turned in to a manual that was also +res.  I am thinking of merging since I like Yuri and I have other units with his good fodder if I need it.  Anyway I wanted to know if +res or neutral was better and what I should give him for an A skill. 

Definitely neutral. The neutral first-merge bonus for Yuri is +1 HP/Atk/Spd, which is far more useful than the +3 Res from a Res Asset.

The best budget options for his A skill are Swift Sparrow 2 (Luthier), Life and Death 3 (Sothe), and Atk/Spd Ideal 3 (Miriel).

The best premium skill is Atk/Spd Ideal 4 unless you're running an AoE Special (moderately common on Infantry Pulse teams), in which case it's Life and Death 4. Swift Sparrow 3 is a viable substitute if you have a lot of spare fodder you're not using for whatever reason and don't have one of the optimal skills.

39 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Definitely neutral. The neutral first-merge bonus for Yuri is +1 HP/Atk/Spd, which is far more useful than the +3 Res from a Res Asset.

The best budget options for his A skill are Swift Sparrow 2 (Luthier), Life and Death 3 (Sothe), and Atk/Spd Ideal 3 (Miriel).

The best premium skill is Atk/Spd Ideal 4 unless you're running an AoE Special (moderately common on Infantry Pulse teams), in which case it's Life and Death 4. Swift Sparrow 3 is a viable substitute if you have a lot of spare fodder you're not using for whatever reason and don't have one of the optimal skills.

Thanks, I will see what I have fodder wise.

2 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

I went into the War Room and did not see what I am about to ask. I am wondering if there is another part of the forum that deals with level specific problems. I am having trouble with the latest 8.5 and not finding a lot of YouTube videos.

Just to be extra clear so we are all in the same page, I assume you mean the Main Story map Book VI, Chapter 5: Part 5?

If you have Joshua: Resolute Tempest, he should be able to clear it with his base kit and Reposition with three supporting Dancers/Singers. Just wait for the enemy to come down towards you, and you can pick them off one or two at a time.

I know Eldigan would be worse with it than Ares, but between refined Dark Mystletainn and refined Mystletainn, is there any reason to go for the latter?

All it is is Slaying and Fury 3, which yes can lead to severely inflated-looking stats with a total Fury 10, but that'd be all it does otherwise (and the post-combat damage... yeesh...), meanwhile with the former Eldigan would just be a worse Ares (which in this case is a moot point because I already +10ed Eldigan)

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I know Eldigan would be worse with it than Ares, but between refined Dark Mystletainn and refined Mystletainn, is there any reason to go for the latter?

All it is is Slaying and Fury 3, which yes can lead to severely inflated-looking stats with a total Fury 10, but that'd be all it does otherwise (and the post-combat damage... yeesh...), meanwhile with the former Eldigan would just be a worse Ares (which in this case is a moot point because I already +10ed Eldigan)

Thoughts?

If you pair Eldigan with Medeus, there's no post-combat damage and you could just enjoy +10 all stats.

Guys, does anyone know if Legendary Heroes can be used in Mjollnir Strike outside of their season?
Like, if I have a +10 L!Dimitri, can I use him in one of the scoring slots instead of a +10 regular unit? Does the "BST increase for scoring" effect of his pair up status aply in Mjollnir Strike?

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

Thoughts?

The only gameplay reason to use Mystletainn over Dark Mystletainn is for the extra magic bulk, which is really hard to justify on a unit with really bad magic bulk to begin with. The +5 Atk/Def from Dark Mystletainn is already better than the +3 to all stats from Mystletainn in almost all relevant situations, even if you ignore Dark Mystletainn's other effects.

Eldigan is only really worth using if you have his Resplendent boost, as it helps close the gap between his and Ares's Atk stats. With the Resplendent boost, Eldigan has +7/-2/-4/+3/+3 compared to Ares, which is 2 Atk for a bunch of bulk and is not too terrible of a trade. With the same build, Resplendent Eldigan's instant Bonfire with Dark Mystletainn will at worst hit for 1 damage less than Ares's due to rounding (if Eldigan's Def is odd, he hits for 1 damage less than Ares; if Eldigan's Def is even, they hit for the same damage). Ares is still better in general, but Eldigan is at least viable when he has his Resplendent stats.

57 minutes ago, Rinco said:

Guys, does anyone know if Legendary Heroes can be used in Mjollnir Strike outside of their season?
Like, if I have a +10 L!Dimitri, can I use him in one of the scoring slots instead of a +10 regular unit? Does the "BST increase for scoring" effect of his pair up status aply in Mjollnir Strike?

Duel effects are always active regardless of season.

There is nothing in the effect description that limits the effect to a specific season, unlike the blessing stat boost effect that explicitly says it's limited to a specific season. (Or at least, I assume it does in English since it does in Japanese.)

3 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Thoughts?

I think the only reason to go for the latter is to use him as a Wings of Mercy beacon like Eir during Astra season, but if you have Leif: Destined Scion, he is way better with that role (double Life and Death with Miracle means he can take a huge amount of counter attack damage and survive; for Chaos season, you might also want to consider double Fury too since cav lines are more likely to die in one hit so they cannot provide counter attack damage) and he can Galeforce too.

On 6/24/2022 at 4:48 PM, XRay said:

Just to be extra clear so we are all in the same page, I assume you mean the Main Story map Book VI, Chapter 5: Part 5?

If you have Joshua: Resolute Tempest, he should be able to clear it with his base kit and Reposition with three supporting Dancers/Singers. Just wait for the enemy to come down towards you, and you can pick them off one or two at a time.

It was actually Book VI, Chapter 8, Part 5, but your advice combined with someone saying Wavecrest Micaiah was my best offensive weapon actually was what I needed. I just used Yuri to snipe the mage, and then danced Micaiah around to kill everyone else on turn three. Thanks for the help. It was exactly what I needed.

33 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

It was actually Book VI, Chapter 8, Part 5, but your advice combined with someone saying Wavecrest Micaiah was my best offensive weapon actually was what I needed. I just used Yuri to snipe the mage, and then danced Micaiah around to kill everyone else on turn three. Thanks for the help. It was exactly what I needed.

Oh woops, yeah, not sure why my fat fingers typed Chapter 5. I meant 8. I clearly had a brain and finger fart.

These days, I am too lazy to think so I just throw my Save tank teams at everything PvE, but Story Maps generally can be cleared by player phase teams by either taking the initiative and clear them out in one or two turns (this is harder to do on some maps, like this one, since it is not easy pull off without high mobility nukes and high mobility Dancers/Singers), or you can wait for the AI to zerg rush you like an idiot, break formation, and pick them off one or two at a time.

I know there is not one "right answer" to this, but I am wondering if the best use for Alfonse, Sharena, Anna, Fjorm, Eir, Peony, Reginn & Ash is "support." It seems like the mechanisms of bonuses are based on the free FEH specific characters, so it is best to have each of them (specifically more the Askr trio and Peony) with skills that boost their teammates? Or would it be better to have the trio to have high scoring Arena skills and give Peony skills that can get her anywhere fast? I have unlocked Alfonse and Sharena and working on getting them to 40 and am a couple of thousand feathers away for Anna. I didn't want to waste the feathers on them and have the chance to have a +4 Summer Claude instead, but it felt like in the meta, getting those three to five stars was the better move.

13 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

I know there is not one "right answer" to this, but I am wondering if the best use for Alfonse, Sharena, Anna, Fjorm, Eir, Peony, Reginn & Ash is "support." It seems like the mechanisms of bonuses are based on the free FEH specific characters, so it is best to have each of them (specifically more the Askr trio and Peony) with skills that boost their teammates? Or would it be better to have the trio to have high scoring Arena skills and give Peony skills that can get her anywhere fast? I have unlocked Alfonse and Sharena and working on getting them to 40 and am a couple of thousand feathers away for Anna. I didn't want to waste the feathers on them and have the chance to have a +4 Summer Claude instead, but it felt like in the meta, getting those three to five stars was the better move.

Different skills for different modes, so it depends on where you want to use them. If you want to use anyone in Arena, and this applies to units outside the Askr trio too, you want to consider giving them Duel skills for scoring if they do not score high naturally. If you want to use someone elsewhere, generally there is no need to worry about scoring in terms of skill sets.

I would personally wait a little longer before promoting them when you are near the high tiers of Arena, but promoting them early is fine too if you have trouble getting kills with them.

For building Alfonse outside of Arena, if you want to stick with his default Weapon, you will want to use Atk Refine (his special Refine is too niche and not really worth it) and give him a player phase skill set with Desperation-Brash Assault. For Sharena, you will want to use Spd Refine for her default Weapon, and she can player phase, enemy phase, or dual phase; I lean towards enemy phase to make completing quests easier. For Anna, I would swap her Weapon out entirely, and you can run Brave Axe, Rein Axe, Slaying Axe, Spirited Axe, or Unbound Axe if you want something cheap, and you want to use Spd Refine on those Weapons; I lean towards enemy phase since her Atk kind of sucks, so being an enemy phase unit near support allies is a bit easier to increase her damage output, and it is easier to complete quests with her too.

2 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

Just gonna go through each of them:

• There's really not much good to say about the Askr trio. Alphonse is slow but physically strong, Anna is weak but fast and resiliant, and Sharena is more balanced, but all 3 are significantly weaker than other units in the same unit categories, even among the 3*/4* summoning pool and grail units. They're who you use as bonus units if you literally can't use any of the other offered bonus units, or you're using them in quests that demand their specific usage. They can't get merges for extra stats or to cover up a stat flaw either.
    Unfortunately there's really not that many ways you could build them for "support" either, since there's not many Swords, Lances, or Axes that offer purely support effects, and the ones that do exist are seasonal. Anna is the closest you can get to utilizing support, but only because her refined weapon can let her teleport to use an assist skill.
  • Fjorm can at least be used for Ranged tanking, though she is considerably weaker in that regard compared to... basically any Far Save armor, including her own Ascended alt.
  • Eir can be built for support in mind. Give her Res-boosting passives and a Res-refined Temari+ and she can provide Sabotage Atk/Spd coverage on top of her existing start-of-turn heals and Res+5 map-wide boost. Otherwise you are looking at her being primarily a magic tank.
  • Peony is a dancer. Trying to get kills with her would be time better spent dancing someone who is far more likely to get the kill.
  • Reginn comes with most of what she already wants as a player-phase Sword Cav. You'd be weakening her significantly by trying to build her with Support in mind.
  • Ashe already has a great support effect in her prf C passive. A positioning assist on her would really only be for getting an already used unit out of the way.

As stated by Xray, if you want to use any of the above in the Arena they really only need a Duel skill just to ensure their score is boosted (Peony already comes with B Duel Flying). Peony, Reginn, and Ashe already come with most all of the skills they could possibly need for their intended uses. Eir's A and B passives could be changed depending on how you want to use her, but otherwise she is solid out of the box as well. Fjorm comes with everything she wants post remix down to having two different A passives... it's really just the Askr trio who are the main issues, but after a point you should wind up only using them for quests, at which point they only need to be built to handle specific enemies.

3 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna are heavily outdated at this point. Their stats aren't great, and they don't have access to merges to bolter them or remove a Flaw. Their refines are also old and only widen the gap with newer units. In general, they are really only used for quest rewards, and it's still worth having them promoted to 5-star rarity and leveled up because some of the quest requirements can be a bit difficult. (I'm currently running all three of them with only their base skills plus Reposition, and it can occasionally be pretty difficult to set up kills for them in Grand Hero Battles and Bound Hero Battles since they're increasingly incapable of soloing their targets.) It's worth noting that if you don't care too much about competitive modes, a solo team of just the bonus Askr unit for the week can typically get you up to about tier 17 in the Arena.

Fjorm is usable with her refine and remixed skills as a Distant Counter infantry unit. There are better units out there for the job, but she's certainly not bad. Her biggest issue is her middling Spd, which forces her to run Quick Riposte in the Sacred Seal slot.

Eir is typically used for her healing support in Aether Raids, though with her refine and remix, she's sufficiently competent as a combat unit as long as she isn't being counterattacked by a physical unit.

Peony is a dancer with relatively low Atk and no combat effect on her weapon. She shouldn't be fighting.

Reginn is one of the better Canto units right now due to having Canto (3), though only on the first 4 turns, and her Seidr Shell provides good burst damage on her first round of combat. She's intended to snipe a problematic unit and then retreat back to safety and is pretty good in Aether Raids and Summoner Duels. She also sees use in Resonant Battles due to the mobility granted by Canto.

Ash's Opening Retainer skill is one of the best mobility support skills in the entire game, if not the best. On top of that, Ash herself is no slouch in combat, having high Atk and Def, a guaranteed follow-up, follow-up prevention, and Tempo, which allow her to perform well as both a tank and a wall breaker.

I have been running a team of Gatekeeper, Legendary Dimitri (the one that self heals, not the one with Tempest), Wavecrest Micaiah and Yuri for the infernal GHBs. First a question (then a complaint): There are times with Micaiah that I can’t use foul play. Is there something in her skills preventing that? I think that is the case I don’t just understand it. Complaint: whatever skill that blue mage has to mess with Yuri’s foul play post-movement (I think it is the Canto Control 3) is frustrating.

25 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

There are times with Micaiah that I can’t use foul play. Is there something in her skills preventing that? I think that is the case I don’t just understand it.

Are you trying to use Foul Play while Yuri is standing on a forest tile? Cavalry cannot move onto forest tiles.

27 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

Complaint: whatever skill that blue mage has to mess with Yuri’s foul play post-movement (I think it is the Canto Control 3) is frustrating.

Yeah, that's Canto Control. It exists because Canto is one of the strongest skill effects in the game and absolutely deserves having a counter.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Are you trying to use Foul Play while Yuri is standing on a forest tile? Cavalry cannot move onto forest tiles.

No. On the Thor/Eitri map She will be to the left of the second from the bottom cavern on the right side. Yuri is going through Gatekeeper and Dimitri to get there. And if it is before her attack he can do it, but after her attack she can’t. 

3 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

No. On the Thor/Eitri map She will be to the left of the second from the bottom cavern on the right side. Yuri is going through Gatekeeper and Dimitri to get there. And if it is before her attack he can do it, but after her attack she can’t. 

Can you post screenshots? It's really hard to figure out what you're doing just from text.

18 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Can you post screenshots? It's really hard to figure out what you're doing just from text.

This is where old age is kicking in. I did a screenshot, but don’t Know how to shrink the size. I think I figured it out though. For some reason on foul play it wasn’t going to Yuri’s original spot (maybe because of canto?). I moved Dimitri and it worked. He was occupying the spot that it wanted to move Micaiah to. I always thought that Yuri moved someone to his original spot, but it wasn’t this time.

Edited by jameslove001
Changed I to he to make sure people understood Dimitri

23 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

This is where old age is kicking in. I did a screenshot, but don’t Know how to shrink the size. I think I figured it out though. For some reason on foul play it wasn’t going to Yuri’s original spot (maybe because of canto?). I moved Dimitri and it worked. He was occupying the spot that it wanted to move Micaiah to. I always thought that Yuri moved someone to his original spot, but it wasn’t this time.

Yeah, Foul Play works exactly like Swap, but at 3 range instead of 1 range. It trades positions after the unit using the skill moves to the tile that it can target the target from, not from the unit's original position.

EDIT: Oh, and there's no need to shrink the size of the screenshot. When you paste the link into the forum, it should shrink to a reasonable size automatically. If it still looks too big, it's common practice to just put it in a spoiler tag and not bother with resizing shenanigans.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Continually I come back here for input on Grail projects (building them, merging them, showing them off continually in Abyssal Hero Battles...) and I don't know why I can't just PICK... but anyway I could use some input. I have literally no specific needs, just a wanting for more units. Narrowed my choices down to the following:

• Units who are likely to get a refine in the next 6 months: Rutger, Haar, Fallen Delthea, Cynthia, Kronya. I limited this range to only 6 months, despite building up grails taking longer, because in those 6 months I cannot predict what other units will be released, and my interest in any particular unit is likely to change. I assume that by the time I amass enough Grails to build another Grail unit, these 6 should have already received their refines. But maybe it would be in my best interest to at least merge them up ahead of time?
  • Yen'fay - I know he's good, otherwise why would he keep appearing in every other Arena fight I get in. I don't have Vital Astra to stack damage reduction further, but I do at least have Spd Smoke 4.
  • Arden - Still on the table as a great Near Save unit. The idea has grown on me since properly building Winter Ephraim.
  • NY!Kyza - +10m +5df +Def with just his weapon has 59 Def and 61 transformed Atk with +5 damage. Might not be Strong-and-Tough-Arden with Near Save, but that's still great IMO.
  • Camus - Good Spd and a good effect on a refined DC weapon. Enough Spd stacking and Spd Smoke 4 should make him near impossible to kill as long as he doesn't get Fatal Smoked. Only issue is that I maaaay have run out of AScatch4 and KestrelStance3 fodder...
  • Finn - Better Ninja Naginata on a unit with, to be fair, somewhat iffy base stats... the special refine I wonder if that's enough to balance the difference between giving NN+ to, say, Spring Luthier...?
  • Halloween Sophia - At the expense of making Spider Plush much more expensive to inherit onto other units (500 grails is quite a bit you gotta admit...), this one is pretty much a favoritism pick. In fact making the Spider Plush more expensive is what's making me hesitate.
    ...I mean... have you seen that Spider Plush?
  • Young Boyd - Yes his only being good on odd numbered turns is iffy, if not outright unreliable, but it could be an interesting challenge to work around...
  • Valentine Lissa - Potential to be a super-bulky Far Save unit. Even already comes with the perfect weapon for it.
  • Scion Nanna - Great offensive stats on a Staff Flier. Only wish there were more staves with offensive in-battle effects... Palm Staff is about the only one aside from the one Groom Saul has I think?
Edited by Xenomata

But maybe it would be in my best interest to at least merge them up ahead of time?

I think they all got their second or third rerun by now, so you could get them all to +10, but I would just merge them up to +9 to save on resources and in case they decide to give them all another rerun. The last merge generally is not super necessary. Depending on the unit and build, even +7 should be sufficient.

• Yen'fay - I know he's good, otherwise why would he keep appearing in every other Arena fight I get in. I don't have Vital Astra to stack damage reduction further, but I do at least have Spd Smoke 4.

I am not sure how many super tanks and Save tanks you have, but if you got a bunch like I do, I would upgrade him last. He is not really necessary in Limited Hero Battles due to lots of good Save tanks in Awakening. He is great for new players and some free players, but if you have been playing the game for a long while, I do not think he offers anything that veterans do not already have.

• Arden - Still on the table as a great Near Save unit. The idea has grown on me since properly building Winter Ephraim.

He is better than Ephraim: Sparkling Gallantly in my opinion.

• NY!Kyza - +10m +5df +Def with just his weapon has 59 Def and 61 transformed Atk with +5 damage. Might not be Strong-and-Tough-Arden with Near Save, but that's still great IMO.

You can turn him into a Blazing nuke whenever Still Earth gets released if you want something interesting.

• Camus - Good Spd and a good effect on a refined DC weapon. Enough Spd stacking and Spd Smoke 4 should make him near impossible to kill as long as he doesn't get Fatal Smoked. Only issue is that I maaaay have run out of AScatch4 and KestrelStance3 fodder...

Like Yen'Fay, I do not think he adds much to most veteran player's barracks, especially if you already got good Save tanks and super tanks for Shadow Dragon.

• Finn - Better Ninja Naginata on a unit with, to be fair, somewhat iffy base stats... the special refine I wonder if that's enough to balance the difference between giving NN+ to, say, Spring Luthier...?

As a cavalry unit, I guess you can give him Surge Sparrow and Flow Guard, but he will have damage output issues without a way to get past Guard. Quad attacks these days can only do so much without more effects to back it up.

• Halloween Sophia - At the expense of making Spider Plush much more expensive to inherit onto other units (500 grails is quite a bit you gotta admit...), this one is pretty much a favoritism pick. In fact making the Spider Plush more expensive is what's making me hesitate.
    ...I mean... have you seen that Spider Plush?

I personally would not bother, but even I splurge a bit on waifus occaisionally, even if I do not use them.

• Young Boyd - Yes his only being good on odd numbered turns is iffy, if not outright unreliable, but it could be an interesting challenge to work around...

Should be fine in Galeforce clears since you only need one turn.

• Valentine Lissa - Potential to be a super-bulky Far Save unit. Even already comes with the perfect weapon for it.

Her damage output is going to suck though. If you already have Robin: Tactful Deliverer (or any Far Save tank for non Limited Hero Battles), I do not think she is going to offer much of anything.

• Scion Nanna - Great offensive stats on a Staff Flier. Only wish there were more staves with offensive in-battle effects... Palm Staff is about the only one aside from the one Groom Saul has I think?

You want Serpentine Staff from Xane: Desert Mage, as it comes with Fatal Smoke, Poison Strike, and Savage Blow, so she can at least dent something. Even with her stat line with Observant Staff, she is not going to put much of a dent on any bulky that is properly built.

Edited by XRay

3 hours ago, XRay said:

I am not sure how many super tanks and Save tanks you have

As far as Save units go (maybe not tanks specifically) I have:

• Near Save: Black Knight, Winter Ephraim, Benny, Asc.Idunn, Gustav, Caineghis, Halloween M!Grima. Note that Idunn, Gustav, and Grima are only running their base kits.
  • Far Save: Valentine Henriette, Valentine Rudolf, Brave Hector, Leg.Tiki, Asc.Fjorm, Valentine Alfonse, Valentine F!Robin. Henriette runs her base kit, Rudolf is Far Save because I was able to give him Distant Force and DRfar save in HoF.

And at least as far as "super" tanks go... pretty much no one. Brave Ike, Halloween F!Robin maybe. I have units to SUPPORT super tanks, I have very bulky units who take very little damage, but not many actual "super tanks..." there is also Brave Marth, but he doesn't actually tank, just kills before the enemy can hit him, so I hesitate to count him.

4 hours ago, XRay said:

He is better than Ephraim: Sparkling Gallantly in my opinion.

Gonna have to explain yourself there. Arden's prf weapon is a meister weapon with Atk+4, Def+6, and Guard; Ephraim's is an EP conditional brave weapon with all stat +4, an Atk/Def -5 debuff, and healing on each of Eph's strikes. The condition for his Brave effect might be counterable, but from my experience it's still a pretty easy condition to meet.
...not opposed to building Arden mind you, I'm just interested in that statement of yours.