"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

Is it worth giving Nagi a near save skill? I pulled one that is +def while not-sniping on the Ascended Celica banner, and I have an extra copy of Dedue and Ascended Idunn that are just in my barracks. Does +0 +def Nagi even use near save well? If not near save, what are some other good C-skill options for her?

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

Is it worth giving Nagi a near save skill? I pulled one that is +def while not-sniping on the Ascended Celica banner, and I have an extra copy of Dedue and Ascended Idunn that are just in my barracks. Does +0 +def Nagi even use near save well? If not near save, what are some other good C-skill options for her?

Unless you really want a Near Save unit with a Raven effect, there are probably better uses for a Near Save skill. Although maybe she'll go up in the rankings when she gets a refine.

8 minutes ago, Othin said:

Unless you really want a Near Save unit with a Raven effect, there are probably better uses for a Near Save skill. Although maybe she'll go up in the rankings when she gets a refine.

Hmm, I suppose I'm not in any hurry for extra save units than I already have so I'll just wait to see what her weapon refine will be. Or if I pull any other better save options. Would you consider far save to be a better option for her, if I do get a copy of it?

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Hmm, I suppose I'm not in any hurry for extra save units than I already have so I'll just wait to see what her weapon refine will be. Or if I pull any other better save options. Would you consider far save to be a better option for her, if I do get a copy of it?

Far Save could mean more chance to make use of her weapon's effects, but it also means having to keep DC in her A slot rather than something else. I don't think either save skill would be bad for her, I imagine they'd be some of her strongest options, it's just that they're strong on a lot of units and I don't think Nagi is considered particularly powerful right now.

Disclaimer that this is all just guesswork at a glance.

29 minutes ago, Othin said:

Far Save could mean more chance to make use of her weapon's effects, but it also means having to keep DC in her A slot rather than something else. I don't think either save skill would be bad for her, I imagine they'd be some of her strongest options, it's just that they're strong on a lot of units and I don't think Nagi is considered particularly powerful right now.

Disclaimer that this is all just guesswork at a glance.

That's totally fair. I guess I could always wait to see what happens with her if/when she gets a refine and make a decision from there. Thanks!

If you use the Pair Up function does the character permanently go away? I haven't used it and want to make sure I understand what it actually does. I read the wiki page and it doesn't seem like that is the case, but also, don't want to screw anything up.

1 hour ago, jameslove001 said:

If you use the Pair Up function does the character permanently go away? I haven't used it and want to make sure I understand what it actually does. I read the wiki page and it doesn't seem like that is the case, but also, don't want to screw anything up.

No.

The game will explicitly warn you any time you are about to perform a destructive action.

EDIT: As a side note, it is still possible to deploy both the front and the back unit on the same team. However, doing so will temporarily disable the Pair Up.

Edited by Ice Dragon

On 7/21/2022 at 4:33 AM, jameslove001 said:

I am trying to pick a fourth member for the armor team (just for the orb a month at this point, no other purpose, although if it is a unit I should invest in for other uses, chime in). I only have Summer Edelgard, Legendary Tiki, Valentines Lucina ready. Available is this motley crew - Valbar x2, Gwen x3, Benny x2, Sheena x2, Grima and Draug (number equals how many units, none are merged and only Grima is currently 5*). Any tips on who to choose as member 4?

I guess another option is I have been interested in using Grails for Ignatz. I could do that or one of the other tanks there.

I'd recommend Grima personally but that's because I built him from the ground up to be a very strong tank.

Also I will not stop gushing over husbando dragon, strong Grima is awesome.

Also built in Distant Counter weapon is good, and his refine has built-in guard as well.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

Had to read the Japanese text to get a better understanding but I want to confirm before I spend resources, the Atk/Spd buff and the HP recovery on Shigure's refine activates as long as he uses an assist skill, right?

20 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

Had to read the Japanese text to get a better understanding but I want to confirm before I spend resources, the Atk/Spd buff and the HP recovery on Shigure's refine activates as long as he uses an assist skill, right?

Assuming the description is accurate and precise, it will not activate for Harsh Command, Reciprocal Aid, Ardent Sacrifice, Sacrifice, Maiden's Solace, all non-movement staff Assist skills, and all dance Assist skills. It activates both when Shigure uses a compatible Assist skill and when he is the target of one.

I have no idea if movement staff Assist skills count as movement Assist skills, but my gut says yes.

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Assuming the description is accurate and precise, it will not activate for Harsh Command, Reciprocal Aid, Ardent Sacrifice, Sacrifice, Maiden's Solace, all non-movement staff Assist skills, and all dance Assist skills. It activates both when Shigure uses a compatible Assist skill and when he is the target of one.

I have no idea if movement staff Assist skills count as movement Assist skills, but my gut says yes.

Rescue+ description:

Restores HP = 50% of unit's Atk (min 8 HP) to target ally. Unit moves 1 space away from target ally. Ally moves to unit's previous space.

If unit or ally cannot move to the target space (if another ally or foe is occupying the space), unit and ally will not move. Using this skill has no effect on Special cooldown charge and unit does not gain EXP or SP. (This skill is treated as a movement skill only when movement takes place.)

This implies that if movement takes place, it does count.

Edited by Othin

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

1 hour ago, Othin said:

This implies that if movement takes place, it does count.

I tested Rescue+ on a target unit that has a Link skill and both units got the buff so I'm gonna assume it'll work for his weapon.

Hey! What software are y'all using to record and load your videos? I just had a clear that I was proud of and thought it would be a good first one to record. Thanks. Also, thanks for being a supportive community. Having someone else besides Phoenix Master to teach me things has been a great experience this time around.

Sorry. I figured it out. Is there anyway to delete this?

I feel super old here. I left my original post up so it didn't seem like I was trying to hide something. I finally figured out how to screen record and recorded my first clear; then found that everyone is uploading from YouTube, so I added the video to YouTube; however, when I posted it is just the URL instead. Any tips? Is it something simple I am doing wrong?

Edited by jameslove001
Asking a new question

On 7/28/2022 at 9:26 AM, jameslove001 said:

when I posted it is just the URL instead. Any tips? Is it something simple I am doing wrong?

The link should automatically turn into a video once you paste it. It might take a second for the video to show up. At worst, you can tie it to a some text like this.

Does Opened Domain stack with a Harmonic skill? I tried it with 2 of my Harmonic units, specifically both being Resonance: Blades, and was only able to activate one so I suspect it will be the same. 

7 minutes ago, Flying Shogi said:

Does Opened Domain stack with a Harmonic skill? I tried it with 2 of my Harmonic units, specifically both being Resonance: Blades, and was only able to activate one so I suspect it will be the same. 

You can only have one stack of any unique status effect applied to a unit at a time, so if you have two sources of Resonance: Blades, only one will be applied.

I asked about this on the arena part of the forum, but don't know if people really go there anymore. I am on Level 18 this week and it feels like this is the first time I am having to skip match-ups. I am also having to become better since I wasted like 50 dueling crests since I kept screwing things up. I am currently like about 900 spots over the cut so supposing I make it to Level 19, I legitimately don't know how I am going to score any higher than I did today. I am running Summer Edeglard, Valentines Chrom and new Xander (with Thorr as my bonus unit). Any suggestions to help bump up my score?

Edited by jameslove001
changed points to spots

52 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

Any suggestions to help bump up my score?

You're going to have to change your approach unless you're up for spending thousands of orbs on merging up those 5-star exclusive units. What you want to do is to build a solid "arena core" (Google the term for more specific advice). The idea is that while having a highly-merged bonus unit is impractical to do with the bonus line-up changing on a weekly basis, your other three units can stay the same every week and as such you want them to be worth as much score as possible.

You'll want to plan out two or three core units, merged to +10 and with premium, high-scoring skill inheritance. For most players that means settling on more common units, either summonable at 3-4* or obtainable via Heroic Grails, and using all your feathers to get them up as high as possible. Also worth noting that the more recent the unit the better, as their better stats gives better score. I say two or three units because while you're in the process of building the team, it's probably more effective to build two as high as possible with your feather/grail income and have the third slot be an in-season Legendary unit, who will boost the scoring of heroes with the appropriate blessing.

Forma versions of 3-4* units tend to be a good base to build on, because you can start them off with very high-scoring skillsets essentially for free. Unfortunately this month's batch has no suitable candidates because all of them will cost orbs to merge, but last month you could have built Kempf for example, who as a GHB unit is easily mergeable. Admittedly as a horse unit he scores a little less than other movement types because of lower stats, but he'd still be worth more than any of your low-merge premium units. Same applies for ranged units scoring a little less than melee units, again the sheer ease someone like Young Innes has in killing is probably worth the penalty. Little expensive though as he's a TT unit and you'd need enough grails to buy 9 more copies. Yen'fay is being re-run soon and he'd be a scoring monster and as a GHB unit you'd need to buy far fewer copies.

EDIT: Here's a relatively recent table of high-scoring F2P-friendly options if you really want to optimise.

Edited by Humanoid

23 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

You'll want to plan out two or three core units, merged to +10 and with premium, high-scoring skill inheritance. For most players that means settling on more common units, either summonable at 3-4* or obtainable via Heroic Grails, and using all your feathers to get them up as high as possible. Also worth noting that the more recent the unit the better, as their better stats gives better score. I say two or three units because while you're in the process of building the team, it's probably more effective to build two as high as possible with your feather/grail income and have the third slot be an in-season Legendary unit, who will boost the scoring of heroes with the appropriate blessing.

So, something like a Ignatz-Yen'fay save team with Leonie doing some sniping? It will take me a while, because I wasted feathers on a pet Balthus project. Thanks for the help. 

5 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

So, something like a Ignatz-Yen'fay save team with Leonie doing some sniping? It will take me a while, because I wasted feathers on a pet Balthus project. Thanks for the help. 

Balthus will score as well as Yen'fay if you really invest in him. Use a tool like this to help figure out what skill setup you want for him, taking into account SP value as well as combat effectiveness.

2 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

I asked about this on the arena part of the forum, but don't know if people really go there anymore. I am on Level 18 this week and it feels like this is the first time I am having to skip match-ups. I am also having to become better since I wasted like 50 dueling crests since I kept screwing things up. I am currently like about 900 spots over the cut so supposing I make it to Level 19, I legitimately don't know how I am going to score any higher than I did today. I am running Summer Edeglard, Valentines Chrom and new Xander (with Thorr as my bonus unit). Any suggestions to help bump up my score?

Assuming you have a bonus unit on the team:

• Every 5 points of base stats are worth 0.5 points per match.
    • "Base stats" here are the unit's stats with no skills equipped, excluding stats from merges, Dragonflowers, Summoner Support, etc., but includes the first-merge bonus (the removed Flaw for units with a Flow and the +3 bonus points for neutral units).
    • This is overridden by Duel effects if the Duel effect is worth more points of stats.
    • Remainders aren't counted, so a unit with 184 base stats counts the same as a unit with 180 base stats.
  • Every 100 points of SP on the unit's equipped skills are worth 0.5 points per match.
    • SP is counted by the amount of SP it costs to learn the equipped skill. It doesn't include the cost of any prerequisite skills and doesn't include the 50% markup for skills learned through Skill Inheritance.
    • SP for Sacred Seals are counted as equal to the SP cost of the skill the Sacred Seal is based on. For skills that are exclusive to Sacred Seals, you can look up the value on the Fandom wiki.
    • Remainders aren't counted, so a unit with 1690 SP in equipped skills counts the same as a unit with 1600 SP in equipped skills.
  • Every merge is worth 1 point per match.
  • Every in-season blessing is worth 2 points per match multiplied by the number of matching Legendary Heroes.
    • Mythic Heroes count as having a matching Legendary blessing if they match the current Mythic season.
      • For example, during Fire-Water-Light-Dark season, Eir counts as having both Fire and Water blessings.

Some recommendations:

• Merges are often much more important than base stats (and basically everything else, too). For example, a +10 Gen 1 ranged cavalry (145-149 stat bucket) scores the exact same as a +5 unit with a 195 Duel effect if everything else is the same.
  • Similarly, a single merge is equal to 200 SP worth of skills, so while units with exclusive skills or tier-4 skills have access to skills with higher SP costs, the difference is easy to make up with better-merged units.
  • It is worth giving units a 500-SP Special skill, though, as each 500-SP Special skill is worth 1.5 points per match more than a 200-SP Special skill. A full team will give you 6 more points per match. Aether (Chrom) and Galeforce (Cordelia) are the easiest of these skills to obtain.
  • You can also squeeze out some extra points with 400-SP Assist skills, but they come at the cost of losing Reposition and are generally harder to obtain. I don't recommend using them unless you really need the extra points.
  • If your Legendary Heroes are not highly merged, it could potentially be optimal to not run one at all. Running 1 Legendary Hero + 3 blessings is worth 6 merges. Running 2 Legendary Heroes + 2 blessings is worth 8 merges. However, you do have to consider the fact that Pair-Up Legendary Heroes have Duel effects that could make up for a few more merges on top of the blessing score bonus.
Edited by Ice Dragon

16 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Assuming you have a bonus unit on the team:

• Every 5 points of base stats are worth 0.5 points per match.
    • "Base stats" here are the unit's stats with no skills equipped, excluding stats from merges, Dragonflowers, Summoner Support, etc., but includes the first-merge bonus (the removed Flaw for units with a Flow and the +3 bonus points for neutral units).
    • This is overridden by Duel effects if the Duel effect is worth more points of stats.
    • Remainders aren't counted, so a unit with 184 base stats counts the same as a unit with 180 base stats.
  • Every 100 points of SP on the unit's equipped skills are worth 0.5 points per match.
    • SP is counted by the amount of SP it costs to learn the equipped skill. It doesn't include the cost of any prerequisite skills and doesn't include the 50% markup for skills learned through Skill Inheritance.
    • SP for Sacred Seals are counted as equal to the SP cost of the skill the Sacred Seal is based on. For skills that are exclusive to Sacred Seals, you can look up the value on the Fandom wiki.
    • Remainders aren't counted, so a unit with 1690 SP in equipped skills counts the same as a unit with 1600 SP in equipped skills.
  • Every merge is worth 1 point per match.
  • Every in-season blessing is worth 2 points per match multiplied by the number of matching Legendary Heroes.
    • Mythic Heroes count as having a matching Legendary blessing if they match the current Mythic season.
      • For example, during Fire-Water-Light-Dark season, Eir counts as having both Fire and Water blessings.

So, first, thanks and also thanks @Humanoid. This is all some pretty straight forward helpful information. I have used the calculator in the past, but not really understood how to look things up when you have (in my case) like 50 5* characters. But the scoring breakdown helps tremendously. It is also helpful to know that I can continue the Balthus build since I am pretty far in. That means I can play around with the calculator before running my first set of Level 19 this morning.

I know I don't have the merges yet, but I think DuoChrom, Summer Edelgard and New Xander are still the best base team I can do while I built up other units.

Thank you to everyone, and specifically @Ice Dragon & @Humanoid. My new arena team is definitely not sexy, they have some temporary skills (Wings of Mercy DuoChrom for instance), but they are running high scores of 722 instead of 710. After the builds Balthus outshined what New Xander or Ascended Fjorm could do, so that was fun that a project I was already working on helped. I need to build feathers to sacrifice Aether to him and find a better skill to give poor Chrom.

I asked this years ago, but I am wonder if any of you use summoner support and ally support? Does it effect things like Area for scoring? I am using it for Heroes Journey, because why not? The consensus in the past was that maps require such different characters that many of you are not running ally support, but was seeing if that has changed for any of you.

16 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

I asked this years ago, but I am wonder if any of you use summoner support and ally support? Does it effect things like Area for scoring? I am using it for Heroes Journey, because why not? The consensus in the past was that maps require such different characters that many of you are not running ally support, but was seeing if that has changed for any of you.

I only use Ally Support for the units who outright require it to trigger weapon effects (Velouria, Fallen Lilith, Groom Rafiel, etc.) because there are very few units who I consistently use on the same team enough to warrant bothering with the function. The only exception is my Brave Marth and Muspell, since they are ALWAYS near each other.

As for Summoner Support, it's a permanent HP +5 All Stat +2 so there's no reason not to give it to your favoritest unit. My current SS unit is Brave Marth.

Neither has any effect on Arena scoring. It's also worth mentioning that Ally Support has no effect on AI-controlled teams, so maybe don't put AS-dependent units on your Arena Defense team.

1 hour ago, jameslove001 said:

There's no reason not to use Summoner Support since it gives a flat boost to stats that is independent of team composition. As far as optimization, this is best used on units that you use most often and/or bulky units that can make use of most of their stats.

Ally Support is a bit more niche, but it's still helpful enough. There are a few units whose weapons rely on having Ally Support, so it's worth giving Ally Supports to them if you're using them. Any units that you use on the same team often are also good choices, particularly those that often stick together, like Save tanks.

Neither affect Arena scoring, and neither affect AI-controlled defense teams.