"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

6 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Two sets of questions, one about foddering VS merging and one about fodder preferences.

First, is LMicaiah's Fury 4 or Joint Distant Guard worth foddering more than fixing a SPD Bane on either of mine? I have a +HP and a +ATK. Similarly, is Bernadetta's Lull worth sacking her more than fixing a RES Bane?

Second, what's the better Skill to use a spare Constance for, A/S Far Trace or SPD/RES Rein? Also for Brave Marth, am I best off giving his DC boost plus Spurn or is the Tempest skill worth prioritizing? I also have an extra LDimitri(meaning another source of a Tempest skill) if that affects the Marth question.

Skills and merges are only as useful as the units you actually have them on. Do you have any units who actually want those skills, and do you use the base units in question? Bear in mind that stronger units and skills are being released all the time, and a skill you inherit may end up dropped for a stronger skill the unit gains access to later.

What I can say is that Legendary Micaiah wants Atk more than HP, Bernadetta shouldn't care much about Res, and Tempest skills aren't generally considered very valuable.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Two sets of questions, one about foddering VS merging and one about fodder preferences.

First, is LMicaiah's Fury 4 or Joint Distant Guard worth foddering more than fixing a SPD Bane on either of mine? I have a +HP and a +ATK. Similarly, is Bernadetta's Lull worth sacking her more than fixing a RES Bane?

Second, what's the better Skill to use a spare Constance for, A/S Far Trace or SPD/RES Rein? Also for Brave Marth, am I best off giving his DC boost plus Spurn or is the Tempest skill worth prioritizing? I also have an extra LDimitri(meaning another source of a Tempest skill) if that affects the Marth question.

1. Fury 4 is not exactly that premium a fodder skill. Give it if you have reason to give Joint Dist. Guard, since both it and Dist. Guard are available easily in the 4* pool. It's fun if you are able to give it to a unit who already has a Fury weapon (see Eldigan or any of the Halloween units with the Fury weapons), but unless a unit really needs all 4 stats boosted it doesn't offer a whole lot, and I wouldn't recommend that Fury build to anyone as anything other than a statball unit.
Joint Dist. Guard is more worth considering if you have a non-armor Ranged tank.
As for Micaiah's Spd bane, Spd is one of Micaiah's dump stats along with Def, since she already gets a guaranteed follow-up and doesn't have the Spd to outpace much more than some older units with low Spd or most Armor units, so it's not a big deal taking a Spd bane.

Bernadetta's Lull Spd/Def is alright fodder, and she ultimately doesn't care about any of her defenses, so she can safely keep the bane.

2. A/S Far Trace is a bit of a rarer skill, but it also just doesn't have as much need on units compared to SpdRes Rein being free stats for a Flier.
As for Brave Marth, Even Tempest has only one true application: pair it with the Odd Tempest SS to give any Infantry or Flier unit a permanent +1 Move and, ergo, a permanently active Bonus (unless False Start is in play.) It otherwise just grants a pretty good bonus compared to some of the bonuses given to other skills (see Oath 4, Menace, Joint skills, Cross Spur, etc.) Meanwhile, even if it's technically not quite as amazing as other Distant Counter+ skills, it's still DC+ that some units might appreciate. Spurn is... in my opinion kind of a side bonus in that regard.

Edited by Xenomata

2 hours ago, Othin said:

Skills and merges are only as useful as the units you actually have them on. Do you have any units who actually want those skills, and do you use the base units in question? Bear in mind that stronger units and skills are being released all the time, and a skill you inherit may end up dropped for a stronger skill the unit gains access to later.

What I can say is that Legendary Micaiah wants Atk more than HP, Bernadetta shouldn't care much about Res, and Tempest skills aren't generally considered very valuable.

For the most part I'm not using Micaiah or Bernadetta - just hanging on to them in case something comes up where I need them. This logic is the main reason I had a million useless Units clogging up my Barracks before you guys told me about the Reserves, like my Spring Xander, who I can guarantee will only see play if I am completely out of other Units to use. I do hang on to Bernadetta almost exclusively for Resonant Battles or Limited Battles, otherwise I would probably have sacked my first one a while back. Constance is in a similar boat - she was most helpful just now when I went to clear the Resonant Battles, primarily thanks to her Trace giving her that extra move, but mostly just sits on the bench. My Brave Marth does see use, but for the most part I'm not serious enough to need merge stats on him, plus am specifically considering using him for my OG Roy that I've been systematically giving lots of things to over time so it's more part of me trying to decide if I should be splurging on a pet project character and asking if those skills are any good as part of that.

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

1. Fury 4 is not exactly that premium a fodder skill. Give it if you have reason to give Joint Dist. Guard, since both it and Dist. Guard are available easily in the 4* pool. It's fun if you are able to give it to a unit who already has a Fury weapon (see Eldigan or any of the Halloween units with the Fury weapons), but unless a unit really needs all 4 stats boosted it doesn't offer a whole lot, and I wouldn't recommend that Fury build to anyone as anything other than a statball unit.
Joint Dist. Guard is more worth considering if you have a non-armor Ranged tank.
As for Micaiah's Spd bane, Spd is one of Micaiah's dump stats along with Def, since she already gets a guaranteed follow-up and doesn't have the Spd to outpace much more than some older units with low Spd or most Armor units, so it's not a big deal taking a Spd bane.

Bernadetta's Lull Spd/Def is alright fodder, and she ultimately doesn't care about any of her defenses, so she can safely keep the bane.

2. A/S Far Trace is a bit of a rarer skill, but it also just doesn't have as much need on units compared to SpdRes Rein being free stats for a Flier.
As for Brave Marth, Even Tempest has only one true application: pair it with the Odd Tempest SS to give any Infantry or Flier unit a permanent +1 Move and, ergo, a permanently active Bonus (unless False Start is in play.) It otherwise just grants a pretty good bonus compared to some of the bonuses given to other skills (see Oath 4, Menace, Joint skills, Cross Spur, etc.) Meanwhile, even if it's technically not quite as amazing as other Distant Counter+ skills, it's still DC+ that some units might appreciate. Spurn is... in my opinion kind of a side bonus in that regard.

I see. I mostly considered Trace worth it for the Canto, but Rein is definitely a good option considering how important Hel is to most of my pseudo-serious clears, being able to stack those AoE debuffs would be huge.

17 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I see. I mostly considered Trace worth it for the Canto, but Rein is definitely a good option considering how important Hel is to most of my pseudo-serious clears, being able to stack those AoE debuffs would be huge.

If you're going to use a Canto effect, it's usually better to use a skill that benefits the user the most. A/S Traces are neutral at best.

16 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

First, is LMicaiah's Fury 4 or Joint Distant Guard worth foddering more than fixing a SPD Bane on either of mine?

Fury 4 is a low-demand skill. Most units would prefer to focus on getting a lot of points on two stats instead of getting fewer points per stat on all four stats on top of recoil damage.

Joint Distant Guard is a decent skill for dedicated ranged tanks as well as support units. For tanks, still be stronger than Def/Res Oath 4 when it is released, but Def/Res Oath 4 works against both melee and ranged opponents and also saves you the need to apply buffs with a second unit.

If you're using Legendary Micaiah as skill fodder, it should be for Joint Distant Guard. You can tack on Fury 4 as just a bonus in case you need it for a challenge map sometime since both Distant Guard 3 and Fury 3 are easy to get and don't need to come from Micaiah herself.

Similarly, is Bernadetta's Lull worth sacking her more than fixing a RES Bane?

Lull Spd/Def is a decent skill, though there are more optimal, albeit harder to obtain, options for most units in that slot. Infantry have Spd/Def Tempo and Spd/Def Bulwark, and cavalry S/D Near Trace and S/D Far Trace. There are also the Dodge and Flow skill series that don't provide stats, but still make the skill slot extremely competitive.

However, as others have mentioned, Bernadetta doesn't really care about her defensive stats at all, so fixing a Res Flaw is not a significant priority.

Second, what's the better Skill to use a spare Constance for, A/S Far Trace or SPD/RES Rein?

A/S Far Trace is the Far Trace skill least in demand. There are very few player-phase ranged units that want Spd and bulk instead of Spd and damage. Fast units typically want Spd/Def or Spd/Res depending on their weapon type, and most slow units want Atk/Def or Atk/Res (Spd/Def and Spd/Res are also fine for slow units that aren't expecting counterattacks).

Spd/Res Rein is in much higher demand.

Also for Brave Marth, am I best off giving his DC boost plus Spurn or is the Tempest skill worth prioritizing?

Tempest skills are rather situational, and there are usually better options for that slot, like Assault Troop and Oath skills.

The only unit I can think of that actually has a good case to run a Tempest skill for general use is Young Boyd due to his weapon having an effect conditional on turn number.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

The only unit I can think of that actually has a good case to run a Tempest skill for general use is Young Boyd due to his weapon having an effect conditional on turn number.

You really did the OG(Helbindi) dirty like that lol.

Thanks for the answers folks, appreciate it!

51 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

In fairness Helbindi is no longer PURELY reliant on Odd-numbered turns to function. Boyd... basically gets completely gimped if it's anything other than such.

I could actually see twerp!Boyd getting Even Tempest as part of his refine to GTFO before he actually has to fight on an even-numbered turn...

Edited by Xenomata

On 2/23/2023 at 12:51 PM, SoulWeaver said:

Helbindi's refine gives him extremely lenient alternate conditions for his weapon's skill effects, so there really isn't a reason to focus his build around the turn-count conditions. If Helbindi were being considered for premium-ish skills, you definitely already have his weapon refined (because it's otherwise worse than modern inheritable weapons).

Meanwhile, Young Boyd swaps back and forth between being Charlotte on odd-numbered turns and being Atlas with a Rein Axe+ [Atk] on even-numbered turns, so there's value in focusing his build on odd-numbered turns.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 hours ago, Karuu30 said:

A hypothetical near save OG!Black Knight would prefer Special Fighter 4 or Savvy Fighter? Just in case I end up building up mine.

If you are using Arcane Éljúđnir, both are not great in my opinion due to effect duplication, and I would wait and see what other tier 4 Fighter skills have to offer once they get released.

If you are using Special Fighter, you will have two Guard effects. If you are using Savvy Fighter, there is technically no effect duplication, but combining Null Follow-Up and Omnibreaker is not necessary on a fast unit in my opinion. If it were a slow unit, then having both Null Follow-Up with Omnibreaker is fine.

If you must build him right now with one of those two skills, I lean more towards Special Fighter since it will still do something against nukes that manage to out Spd him (charge+1, healing), whereas Savvy Fighter does not do anything. Against slow pokes, Savvy Fighter gives damage reduction.

If you are sticking with Alondite, then either is fine. And if Vantage Sacred Seal is released, you may also want to consider running Special Spiral as it compliments Black Luna really well.

Edited by XRay

59 minutes ago, XRay said:

If you are using Arcane Éljúđnir, both are not great in my opinion due to effect duplication, and I would wait and see what other tier 4 Fighter skills have to offer once they get released.

You also have to remember that Arcane weapons actually cannot be used alongside a units existing Prf skills. Arcane Sword means no Black Luna.
Black Luna being the main reason to even use Black Knight in any form, you may as well just go for another Sword Armor if you're going to use Arcane Sword.

Edited by Xenomata

9 hours ago, Karuu30 said:

A hypothetical near save OG!Black Knight would prefer Special Fighter 4 or Savvy Fighter? Just in case I end up building up mine.

Savvy Fighter requires Black Knight to have a lot of Spd support.

With Spd Assets and maximum Dragonflowers on all units, his Spd stat is 7 points lower than Valentine Lucina's and Rearmed Grima's. Even at +10 merge, Black Knight's Spd is still 3 points lower than a +0 Valentine Lucina or Rearmed Grima. Furthermore, Alondite only grants +4 Spd compared to Gerbera Axe and Arcane Grima [Spd] both granting +8 Spd. On top of that, Black Knight requires a lot more Dragonflowers just to reach this point.

Savvy Fighter also likely means that he'll have to run Darting Breath in his Sacred Seal slot in order to effectively charge Black Luna, which will cost him a few more points of Spd.

Special Fighter 4 is definitely the easier skill to run on him since he won't need the Spd support as much, though it does leave him vulnerable to Tempo or Guard.

If you're looking for a fast Near Save unit, Valentine Hana is easily the best option currently available as a 4-star unit due to her gigantic Spd stat. Winter Manuela and Winter Hilda are the next-best options, with Winter Hilda having the advantage of Arcane Qiang being significantly better for the role than either Petalfall Blade or Arcane Eljudnir.

The best fast Near Save 5-star unit is Winter Black Knight by far, though Valentine Lucina, Rearmed Grima, and Winter Sothis are all more than viable, even at +0 merge.

Edited by Ice Dragon

10 hours ago, Xenomata said:

You also have to remember that Arcane weapons actually cannot be used alongside a units existing Prf skills. Arcane Sword means no Black Luna.
Black Luna being the main reason to even use Black Knight in any form, you may as well just go for another Sword Armor if you're going to use Arcane Sword.

That is true. I should have specified no Black Luna as well. He is the only easy to get armor unit in Path of Radiance though, so if a player wants to abuse Save tank strategies without spending too much Orbs on merges for Limited Hero Battles, he was the only option. There is also Ludveck for Limited Hero Battles, but he is technically from a different game, so it might matter in the off chance they decide to split the Tellius games up for that mode.

There is also Hardy Fighter as another option, but follow-up denial from Arcane Éljúðnir and defensive half of Null Follow-Up is a bit overlapping too.

Edited by XRay

What are some support or unique units that can be easily merged up in the regular summoning pool? Just got my feather count under 900k but I figured I need to make a bigger dent. Preferably I'd like to merge up units that don't require Grails or a weapon refine since I'm mainly doing this to spend feathers so their actual usage will be low but I'm not hurting for either resource. So far, I've already fully merged Titania, Seth, Fae, and Seteth. I also gave Marth and Odin their refines back in the day when they were released so I can always give them their remaining merges but that's only 2 units. I know Mae has the same weapon refine as Odin but I probably don't need another Atk/Spd Link support.

6 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

that don't require Grails or a weapon refine

F Shez and Reyson come to mind. Maybe Temari+ Tethys but I don't know if powercreep has obsoleted that option yet.

6 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

What are some support or unique units that can be easily merged up in the regular summoning pool? Just got my feather count under 900k but I figured I need to make a bigger dent. Preferably I'd like to merge up units that don't require Grails or a weapon refine since I'm mainly doing this to spend feathers so their actual usage will be low but I'm not hurting for either resource. So far, I've already fully merged Titania, Seth, Fae, and Seteth. I also gave Marth and Odin their refines back in the day when they were released so I can always give them their remaining merges but that's only 2 units. I know Mae has the same weapon refine as Odin but I probably don't need another Atk/Spd Link support.

My personal favorites would be Dancers/Singers: Olivia, Silvia, Tethys, and Reyson.

For staff units, Wrys got a pretty high HP and Res for stat comparisons, especially after factoring in Flowers. If you do not want to use Flowers, Emmeryn got the highest HP and Dwyer got the highest Res. Forrest is not bad either if you need a bit more mobility.

Merlinus's crappy Atk and balanced bulk is good for training allies in Special Training Maps, since he can chip units after combat without actually dealing any damage in combat. Wrys and Azama can do this too, but you need to fix their lopsided bulk.

Mordecai is good for Smiting even without his Refine.

There is Chrom if you need a Reciprocal Aid/Ardent Sacrifice healer.

Soren got Chill Atk.

Not unique, but Phila got Rein Lance and Miriel got Blárlion.

If you do not mind a bit of Refines, Corrin: Fateful Prince provides stat boosts if you have not built him yet. There is also the rest in the following, but you are scraping the bottom of the barrel for a lot of them in my opinion:

Spoiler

Eirika (Hone Atk)
Jagen (Chill Atk)
Mathilda (Drive all stats for Support Partner)
Shigure (Atk/Spd Link with healing)
Oscar (Drive Atk/Spd for cavalry and infantry)
Camilla (Drive Atk/Spd for cavalry and fliers)
Gunter (Drive Atk/Def cavalry and infantry; Chill Atk/Def)
Klein (Chill Def)
Gordin (Atk/Def Rein)
Virion (Panic Ploy)
Lilina (Chill Res)
Morgan: Lad from Afar (Atk/Spd/Res Menace)
Tharja (Spd/Res Rein)
Robin: High Deliverer (all stats Tactics)
Nino (Odd Atk Wave)
Tiki: Naga's Voice (Reciprocal Aid/Ardent Sacrifice).

10 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

Just got my feather count under 900k but I figured I need to make a bigger dent.

Not really an answer to your actual question, but my usual solution for this is to promote a ton of Chrom and Cordelia manuals for Aether and Galeforce. Alternatively, I promote a bunch of staff units, have them all give their 5-star staves to one unit, and refine all of them with both refines to convert rocks into dew.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

Merlinus's crappy Atk and balanced bulk is good for training allies in Special Training Maps, since he can chip units after combat without actually dealing any damage in combat. Wrys and Azama can do this too, but you need to fix their lopsided bulk.

Every new unit has zero trouble in the Special Training maps with only the Mystic Boost Sacred Seal equipped. Unless you're going back to some of the worse Book 1 or 2 units, you really shouldn't need anything more than the unit you're training, the unit with the Valor skill and a Chill Sacred Seal, and a disarmed staff unit with Physic+ and some Drive/Guard buffs just in case. You can have the fourth unit just be another Chill bot, but it's not really necessary except for really weak units or staff units before getting the Wrathful Staff refine on them.

23 hours ago, Humanoid said:

F Shez and Reyson come to mind. Maybe Temari+ Tethys but I don't know if powercreep has obsoleted that option yet.

I'm merging ShezF so I'm just waiting for the extra copies. I actually forgot that my Reyson was already at +5 so he got his remaining merges.

------------------

@XRay Thank you for your suggestions. I actually have a handful of the listed units promoted to 5* rarity so I might just give them their remaining merges.

19 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Not really an answer to your actual question, but my usual solution for this is to promote a ton of Chrom and Cordelia manuals for Aether and Galeforce. Alternatively, I promote a bunch of staff units, have them all give their 5-star staves to one unit, and refine all of them with both refines to convert rocks into dew.

I rarely run Aether on anyone but I do like to build Galeforce units. Thanks for the reminder.

Brave Lysithea in Hall of Forms. Currently have S/R Tempo in her B slot. Want to get Special Spiral 4 because it seems very useful to her. Currently have Seal Spd 4 queued up for her.

Question A. Should I take Seal Spd? Question B. Are the Seal 4 skills good on Infantry units when they have so many more options available to them, at least compared to Ranged Fliers having Far Traces and that's about it?

EDIT: I have passed on Seal Spd 4, but I still legit wanna know the answer.

Edited by Xenomata

3 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Brave Lysithea in Hall of Forms. Currently have S/R Tempo in her B slot. Want to get Special Spiral 4 because it seems very useful to her. Currently have Seal Spd 4 queued up for her.

Question A. Should I take Seal Spd? Question B. Are the Seal 4 skills good on Infantry units when they have so many more options available to them, at least compared to Ranged Fliers having Far Traces and that's about it?

EDIT: I have passed on Seal Spd 4, but I still legit wanna know the answer.

Seal Spd 4 is only worth running if (1) winning a Spd comparison against fast units is more important than being able to hit bulkier units for more damage AND (2) you are not running a Spd Menace (or any other reliable Spd debuffing skill) on the unit or on any of its teammates.

Seal Spd 4 loses a lot of its value if you run Spd debuffs, as its effective +10 Spd maximum is reduced to only +4 Spd against an opponent hit by Menace, at which point you're better off running Lull, Tempo, Bulwark, or Trace depending on the unit to get a similar amount of Spd plus additional points in another stat.

I am working on Claude right now in the Hall of Forms. Here is what I have so far: Any tips would be great:

Wind Parthia (was thinking of getting another since this will be free)

Rally Spd/Def+
Deadeye

Swift Sparrow 3

A/S Far Trace 3

Atk/Spd Menace

Atk/Res Solo 3

sorry for the weird spacing 

2 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

Wind Parthia (was thinking of getting another since this will be free)

Rally Spd/Def+
Deadeye

Swift Sparrow 3

A/S Far Trace 3

Atk/Spd Menace

Atk/Res Solo 3

If you don't already have a refined Wind Parthia in your barracks, take the refined one from this event to save 200 Divine Dew.

For the special, while Deadeye is rarer than Ruptured Sky, Claude want to trigger his special as often as possible because he heals himself every time it does. Therefore the lower cooldown of Ruptured Sky will help tremendously with his survivability.

Swift Sparrow 3 is a skill that has long been powercrept. Not only does Atk/Spd Catch give more stats, it works in both phases.

S/D Far Trace is the superior Trace skill because reducing the enemy's Spd and Def is almost always what you want over reducing their Atk and Spd.

Atk/Spd Menace is a fine pick. There are decent alternatives depending on your playstyle however, most notably Atk/Spd Oath which will let you teleport around and is great fun. Spd/Def Hold is another option if your buffs and debuffs from Menace are already supplied by another unit, since they don't stack (whereas Hold does).

2 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

I am working on Claude right now in the Hall of Forms. Here is what I have so far: Any tips would be great:

I'd probably aim for something like this:

Wind Parthia [unique] / Whitecap Bow+ [Spd / any]
Rally Atk/Spd+ / Harsh Command+
Deadeye / Ruptured Sky
Atk/Spd Catch 4
S/D Far Trace 3
Spd/Def Hold / Atk/Spd Oath 4 / Atk/Spd Menace

Wind Parthia is fine if you haven't already refined his weapon since it saves you some dew to get it this way. Otherwise, try to go for Whitecap Bow+. If you are offered Ninja Yumi+ before Whitecap Bow+, you should grab it just in case you don't get offered Whitecap Bow+.

Any max SP Assist skill is fine. I tend to favor Rally Atk/Spd+ or Harsh Command+ since they are generally useful. However, Rally Atk/Spd+ is less useful if your teammates are running Atk/Spd Oath or Atk/Spd Menace, so other Rally skills are still viable. If that's the case, Rally Def/Res+ is probably your best option since it overlaps the least with the most common self-buffing skills.

Deadeye is harder to get, but Claude needs to take a counterattack in order to activate it. Ruptured Sky is easier to get, but will activate even if the opponent cannot counterattack. Your pick.

Atk/Spd Catch 4 is the best A skill Claude can get, given that Remote Sparrow isn't yet in the pool (or at least I don't think it is).

S/D Far Trace is the most generally useful B skill Claude has access to. A/S Far Trace is an okay alternative that gives him a bit more bulk at the cost of a bit more power, but is generally seen as inferior. Seal Spd 4 and Seal Def 4 are okay picks, but lose value if you're running debuffs on the unit or its teammates.

C skills depend on whether or not you expect to have sources of buffs and debuffs on the team. Spd/Def Hold is the best option if you already have other sources of buffs and debuffs on the team. Atk/Spd Oath is the best option if you have debuffs, but no buffs. Atk/Spd Menace is the best option if you have neither.

I have a spare R!Grima and haven't foddered my Alfred yet so wanted to know: are there any speedy lance armors that would be good A/S Near Savers? Someone to match R!Grima herself on the opposite season, basically?

Thanks in advance!