"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

3 hours ago, Xenomata said:

So what can Clarisse do that other Archers can't? It looks like she is inferior to Bridal Cordelia, Cordelia being able to utilize natures and trading bulk for power and speed compared to Clarisse's slightly bulkier but slower and less powerful build, and her weapon is a ranged Dark Breath, but that's about the only thing setting her apart from everyone else. I can only really think she is a crippler over all else, maybe give her a Seal skill in place of Poison Strike and possibly Death or Darting Blow to ensure she can weaken or kill the enemy as best possible, but I'm not really sure otherwise.

I'd like to utilize one of these Grand Hero units one day, but the only one I'm slightly interested in is Legion and Clarisse, both whom seem outclassed by other units.

Clarisse can be obtained without the use of orbs :0 Cordelia can't even be obtained any more right now for the time being, so that's one pretty big strike against her: obtainability. That said, ofc every other archer is worse than Cordy, so using basically any of them comes down to the aforementioned reason as well as favoritism IMO. 

Anyway yeah, what Clarisse mainly has going for her is being easy to build. Her default kit is already useful for debuffing, with her Special being the only thing that isn't particularly useful, and Seal Skills / Savage Blow can be tossed on top of that to tweak it to your preference, but if you need someone who can be built for relatively few resources to do this job, she really only needs a decent A-skill and a better proc to be made usable. 

Apart from that, she's probably got the best neutral archer stats after Bridelia and Takumi, having 1 point more speed than Klein, 2 more Atk than Rebecca, and trading a point of Atk for Spd compared to Takumi. She's at a disadvantage in not being able to have a non-neutral nature ofc, so all three of those archers can beat her stats by running the right nature. So... I guess it'd be mainly favoritism and availability that are the main factors going for her-- she's a better archer for pure offense than most of the other archers guaranteed available for F2P. 

2 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

How valuable/useful would a Panic Ploy + Clarisse's Bow Virion be? I have a friend who's a really big Virion fan that's thinking this build would be very useful, but to me it seems like it's rather situational. So I came here to get advice from the experts.

I think that could work on Virion, although I would suggest going the route of giving him Savage Blow / Threaten Def/Res as well as either Poison Strike or Seal Defense/Res. Panic Ploy seems less useful on that specific set to me, meanwhile with Threaten, Seal, and the bow you can debuff all four stats in one round (...I think. I might be remembering wrong how some of those work). Poison / Savage seems like the option that I would prefer, though. For even more AoE softening ridiculousness can even throw Growing Wind with a Quickened Pulse seal in there or something lol.

I don't know if this is the BEST set that Virion can run, but it certainly seems fun and interesting. Could be good when paired with Life and Desp teammates who are too squishy to take hits and get in range of Desp normally, maybe. 

32 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Well Setsuna I feel is still relevant since she is faster than Bridal Cordelia, if weaker.

Setsuna is viable, but not really more relevant than she already was (Takumi beats her in offensive spread and gets better K/D ratio with the same build, albeit narrowly)... Bridelia is still hands-down the best archer right now, but it's not like archers like Klein, Jeorge, and Setsuna are bad or anything. Heck even Niles has niche uses for the right team comp. 

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Xenomata said:

So what can Clarisse do that other Archers can't? It looks like she is inferior to Bridal Cordelia, Cordelia being able to utilize natures and trading bulk for power and speed compared to Clarisse's slightly bulkier but slower and less powerful build, and her weapon is a ranged Dark Breath, but that's about the only thing setting her apart from everyone else. I can only really think she is a crippler over all else, maybe give her a Seal skill in place of Poison Strike and possibly Death or Darting Blow to ensure she can weaken or kill the enemy as best possible, but I'm not really sure otherwise.

I'd like to utilize one of these Grand Hero units one day, but the only one I'm slightly interested in is Legion and Clarisse, both whom seem outclassed by other units.

Clarisse can be obtained without the use of orbs :0 Cordelia can't even be obtained any more right now for the time being, so that's one pretty big strike against her: obtainability. That said, ofc every other archer is worse than Cordy, so using basically any of them comes down to the aforementioned reason as well as favoritism IMO. 

Anyway yeah, what Clarisse mainly has going for her is being easy to build. Her default kit is already useful for debuffing, with her Special being the only thing that isn't particularly useful, and Seal Skills / Savage Blow can be tossed on top of that to tweak it to your preference, but if you need someone who can be built for relatively few resources to do this job, she really only needs a decent A-skill and a better proc to be made usable. 

Apart from that, she's probably got the best neutral archer stats after Bridelia and Takumi, having 1 point more speed than Klein, 2 more Atk than Rebecca, and trading a point of Atk for Spd compared to Takumi. She's at a disadvantage in not being able to have a non-neutral nature ofc, so all three of those archers can beat her stats by running the right nature. So... I guess it'd be mainly favoritism and availability that are the main factors going for her-- she's a better archer for pure offense than most of the other archers guaranteed available for F2P. 

2 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

How valuable/useful would a Panic Ploy + Clarisse's Bow Virion be? I have a friend who's a really big Virion fan that's thinking this build would be very useful, but to me it seems like it's rather situational. So I came here to get advice from the experts.

I think that could work on Virion, although I would suggest going the route of giving him Savage Blow / Threaten Def/Res as well as either Poison Strike or Seal Defense/Res. Panic Ploy seems less useful on that specific set to me, meanwhile with Threaten, Seal, and the bow you can debuff all four stats in one round (...I think. I might be remembering wrong how some of those work). Poison / Savage seems like the option that I would prefer, though. For even more AoE softening ridiculousness can even throw Growing Wind with a Quickened Pulse seal in there or something lol.

I don't know if this is the BEST set that Virion can run, but it certainly seems fun and interesting. Could be good when paired with Life and Desp teammates who are too squishy to take hits and get in range of Desp normally, maybe. 

32 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Well Setsuna I feel is still relevant since she is faster than Bridal Cordelia, if weaker.

Setsuna is viable, but not really more relevant than she already was (Takumi beats her in offensive spread and gets better K/D ratio with the same build, albeit narrowly)... Bridelia is still hands-down the best archer right now, but it's not like archers like Klein, Jeorge, and Setsuna are bad or anything. Heck even Niles has niche uses for the right team comp. 

48 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Setsuna is relevant at 0×4.

Setsuna [+Atk] has 31/37 offenses. Clarisse has 31/34 offenses.

41 minutes ago, XRay said:

Panic Ploy and C's Bow sounds redundant together. The most common buffs are Hones, so when Panic Ploy activates, C's Bow is not going to be doing much debuffing.

Panic converts positive buffs into negative buffs, but they still occupy the buff slot. Clarisse's Bow applies a debuff, which occupies the debuff slot. It's possible to have both a negative buff and a negative debuff simultaneously.

48 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Setsuna is relevant at 0×4.

Setsuna [+Atk] has 31/37 offenses. Clarisse has 31/34 offenses.

41 minutes ago, XRay said:

Panic Ploy and C's Bow sounds redundant together. The most common buffs are Hones, so when Panic Ploy activates, C's Bow is not going to be doing much debuffing.

Panic converts positive buffs into negative buffs, but they still occupy the buff slot. Clarisse's Bow applies a debuff, which occupies the debuff slot. It's possible to have both a negative buff and a negative debuff simultaneously.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

So they stack?

1. Neutral Reinhardt Dire Thunder [41A, 18S]
2. Reinhardt gets buff Hone Cavalry [47A, 24S]
3. Reinhardt ends turn north of Clarisse [47A, 24S]
4. Clarisse's turn starts [35A, 12S]
5. Clarisse attacks Reinhardt [30A, 7S]

Is that right?

Edited by XRay

37 minutes ago, XRay said:

So they stack?

1. Neutral Reinhardt Dire Thunder [41A, 18S]
2. Reinhardt gets buff Hone Cavalry [47A, 24S]
3. Reinhardt ends turn north of Clarisse [47A, 24S]
4. Clarisse's turn starts [35A, 12S]
5. Clarisse attacks Reinhardt [30A, 7S]

Is that right?

Other than the fact that Clarisse's Bow applies the debuff to everyone around the target, but not the target itself (so Clarisse has to attack someone other than Reinhardt that is 2 or fewer squares away), yes.

Reinhardt would end up with -6/6 from Panic Hone Cavalry and -5/5 from Clarisse's Bow.

You can do a simple test on Paralogue 3-1 with Raven's Threaten Def and Priscilla's Panic.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Other than the fact that Clarisse's Bow applies the debuff to everyone around the target, but not the target itself (so Clarisse has to attack someone other than Reinhardt that is 2 or fewer squares away), yes.

Reinhardt would end up with -6/6 from Panic Hone Cavalry and -5/5 from Clarisse's Bow.

You can do a simple test on Paralogue 3-1 with Raven's Threaten Def and Priscilla's Panic.

I just checked it. My unarmed Xander got massive debuffs from Hone and Fortify Cavalry turning negative.

I also took the opportunity to test Sanaki's Harsh Command, but it did not do affect the negative buffs. I thought it would at least reverse Raven's debuff and give Xander a +4 Def debuff, but the only thing it did was eliminate the debuff entirely so Xander is left with -6 Def, instead of -2 that I had hoped.

Does that mean Harsh Command's description is wrong where it does not actually turn debuffs into buffs, or do units under Panic cannot receive positive buffs?

17 minutes ago, XRay said:

I just checked it. My unarmed Xander got massive debuffs from Hone and Fortify Cavalry turning negative.

I also took the opportunity to test Sanaki's Harsh Command, but it did not do affect the negative buffs. I thought it would at least reverse Raven's debuff and give Xander a +4 Def debuff, but the only thing it did was eliminate the debuff entirely so Xander is left with -6 Def, instead of -2 that I had hoped.

Does that mean Harsh Command's description is wrong where it does not actually turn debuffs into buffs, or do units under Panic cannot receive positive buffs?

Harsh Command's effect is it turns debuffs (but not negative buffs) into buffs of the same magnitude. In your case, this is what happens:

• Xander has +6/6/6/6 buffs and -0/0/4/0 debuffs for a total of +6/6/2/6.
  • Xander is inflicted with Panic. He now has -6/6/6/6 buffs and -0/0/4/0 debuffs for a total of -6/6/10/6. The buffs are still +6/6/6/6 behind the scenes, but applied negative from Panic.
  • Harsh Command is used on Xander. The -0/0/4/0 debuff is turned into a +0/0/4/0 buff. The +4 buff is less than the +6 buff and is therefore does not replace the existing +6 buff. Xander is left with -6/6/6/6 buffs and no debuffs.

Panic is a persistent effect applied over everything else and isn't a one-time thing that occurs the moment it is applied.

Reminder that buffs never add to each other, only replace each other.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Harsh Command's effect is it turns debuffs (but not negative buffs) into buffs of the same magnitude. In your case, this is what happens:

• Xander has +6/6/6/6 buffs and -0/0/4/0 debuffs for a total of +6/6/2/6.
  • Xander is inflicted with Panic. He now has -6/6/6/6 buffs and -0/0/4/0 debuffs for a total of -6/6/10/6. The buffs are still +6/6/6/6 behind the scenes, but applied negative from Panic.
  • Harsh Command is used on Xander. The -0/0/4/0 debuff is turned into a +0/0/4/0 buff. The +4 buff is less than the +6 buff and is therefore does not replace the existing +6 buff. Xander is left with -6/6/6/6 buffs and no debuffs.

Panic is a persistent effect applied over everything else and isn't a one-time thing that occurs the moment it is applied.

Reminder that buffs never add to each other, only replace each other.

More I think on it, the worse the idea of giving Anna Harsh Command seems...

Any better ideas?

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

More I think on it, the worse the idea of giving Anna Harsh Command seems...

Any better ideas?

Positioning skills are literally never bad. Beyond that, Rallies are also decent, giving +4 in a single stat or +3 in two. (Rallies are also some of the less 'contested' assists, since most people go for positioning skills.)

The fact that reposition only exists on 3 units, one of whom is a 5* base, hurts a lot, though. Drawback's pretty neat, so's swap and pivot, but reposition's the clear front-runner.

Reciprocal aid is also a great niche option. Just having a single copy means you can swap hp between all characters: Turn 1 10% hp Anna goes to 100% from character B, turn 2 100% hp Anna full heals character C.

@phineas81707 Outside of dancers/singer, Renais twins, and staff users, I put positioning Assists on all my frequently used units. Ranged units have Draw Back and/or Reposition, and melee units all have Reposition. Some of the melee units have Swap too, but I only give them Swap if it is needed for GHB or something.

Edited by XRay

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

Positioning skills are literally never bad. Beyond that, Rallies are also decent, giving +4 in a single stat or +3 in two. (Rallies are also some of the less 'contested' assists, since most people go for positioning skills.)

The fact that reposition only exists on 3 units, one of whom is a 5* base, hurts a lot, though. Drawback's pretty neat, so's swap and pivot, but reposition's the clear front-runner.

Reciprocal aid is also a great niche option. Just having a single copy means you can swap hp between all characters: Turn 1 10% hp Anna goes to 100% from character B, turn 2 100% hp Anna full heals character C.

Hm... this Anna is going to wind up with Wings of Mercy and Escape Route, so I expect her to warp a lot. Reposition, maybe? She's supporting mages.

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

What's the recommended amount of times one should spend on expanding the bracket?

PLZ don't say around 1000, I'm not made of money here.

I assume you mean the barracks.

The maximum barracks size is 500. You can't go bigger than that even if you wanted.

Expand as much as you summon. It's 1 orb to add 5 slots and 20 orbs to fill them.

So here's my idea...

Clarisse is clearly not the offensive presence that Bridal Cordelia is, but she does serve as a semi-debuffer. The problem is that she doesn't have the bulk to stand up to the likes of most magic users and popular Distant Counter users.

My theory is, give her Darting Blow and either Windsweep or Watersweep. Because she isn't an offensive presence, more a debuffer thanks to her bow, it doesn't matter that she can't double attack. While it does mean you have to pick between the two sweeps, there are good reasons for both (Distant Counter users are powerful and can typically one-round Clarisse anyways, while Clarisse's Resistance means she takes a lot more Magic damage anyways.

Her Speed would mean that she wouldn't be able to outspeed the major threats anyways (Ryoma, Nino, Linde, etc), which is why Darting Blow is given on top of a Hone Speed/Rally Speed buff (not Attack/Speed, as the one point difference matters). LnD3 would be decent to and boost the damage she does, but at the cost of surviving any enemy phase attacks. Fury could technically work as well, but the speed boost from it is not as big as the other 2 options. And of course Savage Blow because if your gonna debuff them, may as well hurt them as well.

It's just a theory, and I'd like to see the problems behind it, because it all depends on the target Clarisse attacks, which while we can't guarantee a Ryoma Hector Nowi/Ninian Bridelia set or Magic Horse Emblem set... well, I'll leave it at that.

Question: Which unit do I move from 4* to 5*?

I have not been the greatest with feathers. Every time I get 20 orbs I have to clear out the barracks, which has often meant leveling characters from 3* to 4*, to maximize inheritance. I am at the point now of realizing that I might be best serve by sending people home or just being satisfied with level 2 skills (like Felicia's breath of life 2 instead of leveling her to give breath of life 3). That said, I almost have 20,000 (or will after the current gauntlet and arena). I was just looking for advice on the biggest DIFFERENCE 4* to 5* makes, or which characters would be best at 5*.

My current 5* set is - Karel, Chrom, Masked Marth, Hinata, Tharja, Bride Charlotte, Effie, Spring Xander, Perri, Clair, Ninian, Beruka, Julia, Julia (yes, two), Jakob and Maria.

My current 4* set is -

Red - Alphonse, Marth, Ogma, Navarre, Seliph, Roy x2, Fir x2, Lloyd, Eirika x2, Lon'Qu x2, Olivia, Masked Marth, Hana, Laslow, Selena (I always forget she exists), Draug x2, Zephiel x2, Eliwood, Xander, Caeda, Tiki, Raigh, Sophia, Henry x2,

Blue - Shareena, Lukas, Donnell, Oboro, Effie x3, Camus, Sully, Catria, Est, Clair, Shanna, Florina, Subaki, Corrin F x2, Robin M, Ursula x2

Green - Anna, Legion, Bartre, Arthur, Sheena x2, Fredercik, Michaelis, Narcian, Cherche x2, Beruka, Boey, Nino x2, Soren, Robin F, Cecilia

Colorless - Gordin x2, Clarrise, Klein, Setsuna, Niles, Felicia, Wrys, Serra, Lissa x2, Azama x2, Sakura, Clarine x2

Thanks to any of you who waded through all of that. My goal is to do a better job of moving 4s to 5s, and I just want to work at it in a best use of energy/time approach. My gut says Xander, Tiki, Ursula, Shareena, Camus or Michaelis, but would love any feedback.

I have not been the greatest with feathers. Every time I get 20 orbs I have to clear out the barracks, which has often meant leveling characters from 3* to 4*, to maximize inheritance. I am at the point now of realizing that I might be best serve by sending people home or just being satisfied with level 2 skills (like Felicia's breath of life 2 instead of leveling her to give breath of life 3). That said, I almost have 20,000 (or will after the current gauntlet and arena). I was just looking for advice on the biggest DIFFERENCE 4* to 5* makes, or which characters would be best at 5*.

My current 5* set is - Karel, Chrom, Masked Marth, Hinata, Tharja, Bride Charlotte, Effie, Spring Xander, Perri, Clair, Ninian, Beruka, Julia, Julia (yes, two), Jakob and Maria.

My current 4* set is -

Red - Alphonse, Marth, Ogma, Navarre, Seliph, Roy x2, Fir x2, Lloyd, Eirika x2, Lon'Qu x2, Olivia, Masked Marth, Hana, Laslow, Selena (I always forget she exists), Draug x2, Zephiel x2, Eliwood, Xander, Caeda, Tiki, Raigh, Sophia, Henry x2,

Blue - Shareena, Lukas, Donnell, Oboro, Effie x3, Camus, Sully, Catria, Est, Clair, Shanna, Florina, Subaki, Corrin F x2, Robin M, Ursula x2

Green - Anna, Legion, Bartre, Arthur, Sheena x2, Fredercik, Michaelis, Narcian, Cherche x2, Beruka, Boey, Nino x2, Soren, Robin F, Cecilia

Colorless - Gordin x2, Clarrise, Klein, Setsuna, Niles, Felicia, Wrys, Serra, Lissa x2, Azama x2, Sakura, Clarine x2

Thanks to any of you who waded through all of that. My goal is to do a better job of moving 4s to 5s, and I just want to work at it in a best use of energy/time approach. My gut says Xander, Tiki, Ursula, Shareena, Camus or Michaelis, but would love any feedback.

12 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

My current 4* set is -

There are various options. The Askr trio (Alfonse, Anna, Sharena) are a good investment for always having an arena bonus unit under hand. Eirika is a great support characters for a Blade tome user and I see you have a 5*Tharja to enjoy it. Nino is another great Blade unit, especially if she has a good IV (+speed especially; +Att also good). Several of the GHB units are good to raise (like Xander, Michalis, Sharena, Ursula especially with a horse team, Legion...). It's best to time raising them with their time as arena bonus unit so that makes Legion most interesting right now of that lot.

Are there any type of units you feel like you miss? If you don't like missing a 5* Blue mage, I guess Ursula becomes more worthwhile (although i'd reccomend having Odin under hand to give her a Blade tome before that) for ex? Do you want to make a flier or cavalry team? etc.

14 minutes ago, salinea said:

There are various options. The Askr trio (Alfonse, Anna, Sharena) are a good investment for always having an arena bonus unit under hand. Eirika is a great support characters for a Blade tome user and I see you have a 5*Tharja to enjoy it. Nino is another great Blade unit, especially if she has a good IV (+speed especially; +Att also good). Several of the GHB units are good to raise (like Xander, Michalis, Sharena, Ursula especially with a horse team, Legion...). It's best to time raising them with their time as arena bonus unit so that makes Legion most interesting right now of that lot.

Are there any type of units you feel like you miss? If you don't like missing a 5* Blue mage, I guess Ursula becomes more worthwhile (although i'd reccomend having Odin under hand to give her a Blade tome before that) for ex? Do you want to make a flier or cavalry team? etc.

Thanks for the feedback. It would be NICE to have a great blue tome, but I am holding out for actually getting Olwen or Reinhardt and building other things in the mean time.

I am working on a flyer emblem team. I realized I made a mistake and am working on Palla since all my eggs were in the Caeda basket. I like my horse emblem team, although it would be great to have Leo so that I have a red, blue and green tome user. I would like to do an armor emblem team, but since I am not investing any money, I just don't know how I can invest the time to get Draug and Sheena usable. 

In answer to your question, what do I miss? I miss a STRONG blue or red attacker. I think I develop Chrom or Masked Marth into that, and I hear people have made Lukas into something great. Effie is fine except I often take too much damage before she can do much of anything. But I think what I miss most is that Ryoma/Ike/Hector/Takumi types that can defend near and far. I realize I can do that with Tiki, but it is what makes me lean toward Camus and Xander. 

Thanks for the feedback.

19 minutes ago, jameslove001 said:

In answer to your question, what do I miss? I miss a STRONG blue or red attacker. I think I develop Chrom or Masked Marth into that, and I hear people have made Lukas into something great. Effie is fine except I often take too much damage before she can do much of anything. But I think what I miss most is that Ryoma/Ike/Hector/Takumi types that can defend near and far. I realize I can do that with Tiki, but it is what makes me lean toward Camus and Xander. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Marthina is better than Chrom for a strong red attacker (Chrom is very slow, so he relies on Brave Sword builds to really put in the damage, and that's expensive since you need a Brave Sword + fodder. Mask Marth is fast and strong and only need a solid set of skills to complement her excellent bases). Tharja should be a solid red attacker too, in the magic side of things :)

But if you want a defense phase Distant Striker, yeah Camus and Xander are the way to go.

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Wtf it won't let me buy more orbs for some reason. When I choose an orb plan it just stops me and says exactly that, with no reasoning.

@Ice Dragon hlep

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20170630-025751.thumb.png.194cfcfabb46bbf51121ed4acc5c70c8.png

Because only squares spend money on this game

You a square Soyboy?