"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

15 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Iceberg Pulse Niles does alright on offense, thanks to his high res and speed, but the problem with Res tanks is the same as always:

Most of them don't have the Res to actually tank mages, and have lackluster offenses because of stacking res.

+Atk, DB3, Moonbow Pulse Reinhardt straight up obliterates +Spd/-Res Niles with Fury 3, for example, meaning you've basically obtained an archer with typical (shitty) defenses with the ultra offenses of B!Cordelia and the like in exchange.

6 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I mean, I already said I knew he wasn't that great. XD I just like him, and I plan to promote him since he's got a pretty good nature. IDK exactly what kind of build I'd do for him, and I certainly wouldn't use him to tank Reinhardts especially since I've got Cecilia and Titania for that. But if I gave him Fury over LaD, he'd have 37 RES (and 40 SPD) which is more than my high RES mages (like Katarina), and they've been doing pretty great tanking hits from the inflated mages in the Tempest.

I just wanna' know if there's anyone else who'd do better with a Slaying Bow, otherwise Niles will probably get it.

The main problem isn't that Niles doesn't have the Res to actually tank mages, it's the fact that Niles is colorless and therefore cannot use weapon triangle advantage to put that Res to use. Any colored unit with that much Res can comfortably tank a single hit from a magic user when at weapon triangle advantage, and even more so with Triangle Adept, but Niles doesn't have that option.

Enemy-phase Niles can probably run something like [+Spd, -Def] (Slaying Bow+, Glacies, Fury, Quick Riposte, S Quickened Pulse) to decent effect as a single-use mage-deleter.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Any colored unit with that much Res can comfortably tank a single hit from a magic user when at weapon triangle advantage, and even more so with Triangle Adept, but Niles doesn't have that option.

Would a set of skills that allow a colourless unit pretend to be a certain colour be too powerful (even if it were, say, on the A slot to prevent being stacked with Triangle Adept)?

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The main problem isn't that Niles doesn't have the Res to actually tank mages, it's the fact that Niles is colorless and therefore cannot use weapon triangle advantage to put that Res to use. Any colored unit with that much Res can comfortably tank a single hit from a magic user when at weapon triangle advantage, and even more so with Triangle Adept, but Niles doesn't have that option.

Enemy-phase Niles can probably run something like [+Spd, -Def] (Slaying Bow+, Glacies, Fury, Quick Riposte, S Quickened Pulse) to decent effect as a single-use mage-deleter.

Eh... Triangle advantage only matters if you have it. Enemy Phase mage tank is already a niche unit type, add the fact that you only work against 1/3 of the mages in the game and that's a uncomfortable place to be in. If Niles had high enough res to be a blanket counter to mages (sacrifice some of that speed and Atk for even more res, for example---don't need Atk if you can just Glacies everything down), I'd like him as a unit, but 34 res just isn't that high when Reinhardts are pushing 50 Atk before buffs.

Sure, you can run tri-color teams, but not everyone wants to run 3 TA-3 units. Mind, nobody uses Leo right now, so you can probably cover everything with just Fae or DC Sheena, considering how most people don't setup their teams to buff Cecilia to crazy levels, causing Reinhardt to be the only troublesome mage.

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

Eh... Triangle advantage only matters if you have it. Enemy Phase mage tank is already a niche unit type, add the fact that you only work against 1/3 of the mages in the game and that's a uncomfortable place to be in. If Niles had high enough res to be a blanket counter to mages (sacrifice some of that speed and Atk for even more res, for example---don't need Atk if you can just Glacies everything down), I'd like him as a unit, but 34 res just isn't that high when Reinhardts are pushing 50 Atk before buffs.

Working against 1/3 of the mages in the game reliably is far better than working against none of them, which is what Niles's problem is. Niles can only barely survive a Litrblade user with only Hone Cavalry active and only barely survives standard non-Quickened Pulse Reinhardt with Hone Cavalry on Reinhardt and +4 Res on Niles.

Niles also cannot sacrifice his Spd at all if he's running Glacies, unless the swing is somewhere around 20-25 points in Res. 34 base Spd with Fury gets double attacked by 37 base Spd infantry mages with Life and Death, and getting double attacked will flat out kill him before Glacies lands. Lowering his Spd at all opens him up to Linde and Nino, both of whom sit at 36 base Spd and won't die to the first hit. If Niles is going to sacrifice his Spd, he needs to be running Iceberg, and he needs to still have enough Atk left over to one-hit kill every relevant mage with Iceberg.

16 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Sure, you can run tri-color teams, but not everyone wants to run 3 TA-3 units. Mind, nobody uses Leo right now, so you can probably cover everything with just Fae or DC Sheena, considering how most people don't setup their teams to buff Cecilia to crazy levels, causing Reinhardt to be the only troublesome mage.

No one ever said you need to run three units with Triangle Adept 3. You only do that if you're running a purely enemy-phase team.

A balanced team only needs an answer to blue and green mages, due to the relative rarity of red mages in the current meta, and answers to those aren't particularly hard to come by, and a player-phase team typically doesn't give a damn.

2 minutes ago, JSND said:

Kind of a weird question, but have anyone tried that 500 SP cost Special on Dancer stuff? how much does it affect Arena Scoring?

My Ninian runs Aether, but I literally cannot tell the difference due to how sparse the opponents are above 730 points. I'd expect it to matter as much as running Aether/Galeforce on anyone else does.

3 hours ago, Thane said:

Thanks for the advice, bud. I've got a four star HInata with Nino's name on him, so that Fury 3 is already fixed.

If you already did it it's cool but we had a discussion about this yesterday Nino would benefit more from Life and Death 3 than Fury 3. I don't believe Fury ever out ranks it except for the simple problem of not having L&D to give to her. 

Question about merging. I have a level 40 unit with 2k SP on them. I was going to merge them into a level 1 unit in hopes they get SP. Appears that doesn't work. Should I inherit the skills onto the one with the large SP reserve and merge them then into the level 1? The merge doesn't matter going to promote to a 5 star after I level the level 1 (better IV) 

4 minutes ago, Sleypnyr said:

If you already did it it's cool but we had a discussion about this yesterday Nino would benefit more from Life and Death 3 than Fury 3. I don't believe Fury ever out ranks it except for the simple problem of not having L&D to give to her. 

Fury lets Nino tank an unbuffed Reinhardt that isn't running Quickened Pulse Moonbow. That's about it, though.

1 minute ago, Sleypnyr said:

Question about merging. I have a level 40 unit with 2k SP on them. I was going to merge them into a level 1 unit in hopes they get SP. Appears that doesn't work. Should I inherit the skills onto the one with the large SP reserve and merge them then into the level 1? The merge doesn't matter going to promote to a 5 star after I level the level 1 (better IV) 

Yes. If you are giving up a unit for merging, always spend as much of their SP as possible before merging because the learned skills will transfer over and otherwise all of that SP is lost.

First pull of the day was Titania! Exactly what I wanted. I'm going to put her on my horse team instead of Frederick, so I wanted some tips on skills. She's 19 HP, 18 Atk, 6 Def, 8 Spd, 7 Res.

1 minute ago, Book Bro said:

First pull of the day was Titania! Exactly what I wanted. I'm going to put her on my horse team instead of Frederick, so I wanted some tips on skills. She's 19 HP, 18 Atk, 6 Def, 8 Spd, 7 Res.

+HP -Res. Slightly better than the +Def -Res one I got, but I don't have high hopes (I was told mine was bad).

Then again, you might be able to make do. I dunno how to build a lot of units. Just want to make this post longer than just your nature.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Niles also cannot sacrifice his Spd at all if he's running Glacies, unless the swing is somewhere around 20-25 points in Res. 34 base Spd with Fury gets double attacked by 37 base Spd infantry mages with Life and Death, and getting double attacked will flat out kill him before Glacies lands. Lowering his Spd at all opens him up to Linde and Nino, both of whom sit at 36 base Spd and won't die to the first hit. If Niles is going to sacrifice his Spd, he needs to be running Iceberg, and he needs to still have enough Atk left over to one-hit kill every relevant mage with Iceberg.

The thing about running lower speed, high res is that: You'll either be fighting high speed, high damage class cannons, who get OHKOd by Iceberg, or you're fighting slow but strong mages, who don't double Niles in the first place. But yes, you can't reliably use Glacies unless he has a shitton of Res. (I wanted him to get a boatload of it from his Atk and Res, something like 44 would be indestructible on a fort tile and reasonably bulky normally---though I'd probably swap into Iceberg for non-fort seasons.)

Weak mages will just do 0 damage to a high res Niles, so it doesn't really matter how much speed or bulk they have.

Bear in mind that, as long as his Atk and Spd drop in equal amounts, and the difference goes into Res, Niles keeps every single Iceberg OHKO he has currently. (This, because 1/2 res goes into damage during Iceberg, so if his Res increases by 200% of his Atk drop, his Iceberg damage remains the same.) And he has a lot of Iceberg OHKOs right now, at least vs. the faster mages. =Nino with Fury 3 only survives +Atk Niles with Iceberg and Slaying Bow at +9 levels without defense buffs, and fails to OHKO unless the same +9 levels are present, she's +Atk, and she has +4 all stats. Linde does even worse defense wise, although she does get the OHKO with only 4/4/0/4, L&D, +Atk, and +4 levels.

14 Mt from Slaying, 3 Atk from Fury, 18 damage from Glacies, and 29 Atk with +Atk (25 without) is 64 or 60 damage---very few mages reach 60 physical bulk, particularly if they're running L&D. (Reinhardt has 65, Leo has 64, but they're in the 'too slow to double' category.)

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

No one ever said you need to run three units with Triangle Adept 3. You only do that if you're running a purely enemy-phase team.

A balanced team only needs an answer to blue and green mages, due to the relative rarity of red mages in the current meta, and answers to those aren't particularly hard to come by, and a player-phase team typically doesn't give a damn.

I'm personally not a fan of running 'anti-meta' stuff just to catch the strongest and most popular units---part of why I prefer all out offense, since, in exchange for stricter positioning requirements, each individual unit has very high coverage. (I'm also an lazy ass, so my team is actually hilariously unoptimized---Cordelia still has WoM in her B-slot despite me having 3 Mathildas, and I'm even too lazy to give her back her pulse seal so she auto-triggers Galeforce after 2 combats.)

But yes, the current unit pool means that the dangerous mages can be covered with just 1 high res green. It's not just that Red mages aren't popular, it's also that Cecilia doesn't come close to Reinhardt's unbuffed matchup spread---her +6/+6 is quite good if you give her L&D as well, but, if you don't, she basically doubles jack all, meaning your Faes and Sheenas can tank her since they're not being doubled. The other green mages only have 2 move, which is a lot easier to deal with than 3.

Edit: And most of the Cecilias I see run -Raven TA-3 anyway. Annoying, sure, but not exactly a huge threat.

Edited by DehNutCase

Gonna try my hand at a horse team for the new quests. Don't think I'll be pulling on the cavalry banner until I get Lance & Axe Valor. Too bad since I want Eldigan and Olwen. Anyway, thinking of using this team composition:

+Atk/Spd- Reinhardt

+Spd/-Def Cecilia w/ GronnBlade

+HP/-Res Cain

Clarine

Who should get which buff? I do have Camus but I don't know if running 2 blue units is a bad idea or not. +HP/-Res on Cain isn't the best but I think he's the best red cavalier I have now(I have Eliwood[best one is +Spd/HP-] & Stahl. Don't have Xander though)

Also kinda lost on what to put on Cecilia. After a Hone Cavalry boost, she reaches 35 speed so I was thinking I can give her Fury 3 to reach 42 when within the range of Goad Cavalry for a Desperation set. I can already tell this team is gonna be expensive.  

Edited by tobuShogi

8 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

Gonna try my hand at a horse team since the new banner just came out. Thinking of using this team composition:

+Atk/Spd- Reinhardt

+HP/-Res Cain

Clarine

Who should get which buff? I do have Camus but I don't know if running 2 blue units is a bad idea or not. +HP/-Res on Cain isn't the best but I think he's the best red cavalier I have now(I have Eliwood[best one is +Spd/HP-] & Stahl. Don't have Xander though)

Also kinda lost on what to put on Cecilia. After a Hone Cavalry boost, she reaches 35 speed so I was thinking I can give her Fury 3 to reach 42 when within the range of Goad Cavalry for a Desperation set. I can already tell this team is gonna be expensive.  

Sorry i missed the i dont have Xander line, lol.

My full cavalry team is

Reinhardt, Olwen, Xander and Cecilia. Xander and Cecilia both have Hone. Reinhardt has Goad and Olwen has Fortify. I run double Hone so Xander can get buff because my team is weak to green and he wrecks Green units and can tank all Colorless. 

Edited by Sleypnyr

18 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Titania is mostly a hard counter to blue units (most notably blue mages because of her high res). Because of her low attack, you probably want to just stick with her Emerald Axe so she can at least hit blue units hard. For her A-slot, she'd really like Distant Counter to easily deal with mages, but since that's pretty expensive Fury might be a good way to patch up her lower Res and raise her Attack.

The B-slot is a bit more diffiult, as she doesn't need it to kill blue mages (she doubles Rein, and the other ones just get one shotted), and most popular lance units aren't that fast (Titania reaches 40 speed with after a Hone Speed, 43 if you're running Fury), and Titania has enough defence that with the triangle advantage, she won't take to much damage from them. So with those breaker skills out of the way and adding the fact that most enemies she attacks shouldn't counter attack (or do very little damage while doing so) Green Tomebreaker is probably the skill she gets the most use out off, as it allows her to kill squishy green tome users like Nino if your red unit is busy. There might be more creative and better options though.

For a special, Iceberg or Glacies is usually good on her, but with your nature you might want to go for Luna or Moonbow instead.

C-skill and Assist depends on what your team needs (although the C-skill should be a cavalry buff in your case).

Spoiler

Disclaimer: I don't have a Titania myself yet, so this is all just theory without anything coming from experience. It should still be useful though.

8 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

Gonna try my hand at a horse team since the new banner just came out. Thinking of using this team composition:

+Atk/Spd- Reinhardt

+HP/-Res Cain

Clarine

On a team of only nukes, there's not much point in running a healer. In that case, a horse emblem team needs to double up on one color, so why not blue? (I'm totaly not partial when Camus is concerned btw.)

On red units, Eliwood can become pretty good, but Cain should serve decently as well. The main job of your red unit is dealing with whatever your other units can't nuke down (so mostly green units, specificly ones with high Res), who Cain should have no trouble dealing with.

1 hour ago, Sleypnyr said:

My full cavalry team is

Reinhardt, Olwen, Xander and Cecilia. Xander and Cecilia both have Hone. Reinhardt has Goad and Olwen has Fortify. I run double Hone so Xander can get buff because my team is weak to green and he wrecks Green units and can tank all Colorless. 

Is your Olwen also running Dire Thunder? I feel like if your Xander goes down, a Nino/Julia with Green Tomebreaker can really give you a lot of trouble. 

1 hour ago, Bartozio said:

On a team of only nukes, there's not much point in running a healer. In that case, a horse emblem team needs to double up on one color, so why not blue? (I'm totaly not partial when Camus is concerned btw.)

On red units, Eliwood can become pretty good, but Cain should serve decently as well. The main job of your red unit is dealing with whatever your other units can't nuke down (so mostly green units, specificly ones with high Res), who Cain should have no trouble dealing with.

I chose Clarine because I she's the best that I can manage at this point. Plus, my Camus is almost at max HM so I wanted to give other units a chance. Will probably switch her out for Camus if I decide to go to arena with the horse team. 

As for Cain, I think he should be able to take care of all of the green mages. Hector might be a problem though. Debating if I should give him Axebreaker since Reinhardt already deals with red units. Axebreaker also grants me notable wins against Hector, Michalis, S!Tiki, S!Chrom, and Sheena. Bulky mages like Boey and Merric survive but Cecilia should be able to handle them. Swordbreaker is also an option but I would like to keep my Abel for now but that +Res/Atk- kinda hurts though. 

So since I'm quite bad at math for things beyond simple calcs, could someone more skilled in it please tell me the chance of getting any 5* out of Blue and Red orbs from the Alm's-Army-Banner if my pity rate is at 4.50%?
I'm strongly considering hunt-summoning to improve my chances that the rate doesn't get wasted, but I'd like to know how high they are first.

10 hours ago, tobuShogi said:

Is your Olwen also running Dire Thunder? I feel like if your Xander goes down, a Nino/Julia with Green Tomebreaker can really give you a lot of trouble.

Yup Olwen runs Dire Thunder also and it's all about the Hine Cavalry buff. Xander never does anything offensively unless he can get in and out as he's there to buff. Axe users do 0 damage to him. The green mage can cause problems, you bait them in Xander out damage on them and then Rein cleans up. 

Hey guys, pulled a -atk, +spd Mae the other day and i was wondering if she was at all salvageable, or if she should unfortunately be relegated to Desperation fodder. Her tome (Blarowl) with good positioning, plus something like Life and Death or Fury might make her reasonable, but I was wondering what to do before I started spending feathers. Thanks!

Hey guys, pulled a -atk, +spd Mae the other day and i was wondering if she was at all salvageable, or if she should unfortunately be relegated to Desperation fodder. Her tome (Blarowl) with good positioning, plus something like Life and Death or Fury might make her reasonable, but I was wondering what to do before I started spending feathers. Thanks!

@Thonir If you don't have any other Blárblade mages, Mae with that nature can fill the niche fairly well despite being -Atk, since base 33 Atk is still pretty high. 34 Spd is a bit on the low side but Fury and LaD can elevate her to a much more competent 37-39 Spd, especially with innate Desperation.

So, I'm looking for a bit of insight concerning a 4* Cordelia I just got. Does it hurt her that much to be -Spd when she is +Atk at the same time? I'm still almost certainly going to make her my next promotion anyways because she's one of my absolute favorites but this is just something I was wondering about.

16 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

So, um... a Brave Axe pegasus knight had to choose between my 3HP Fae and my full health T-Adept Olivia to attack. It attacked Olivia and died on the counter. Is there any explanation for this?

If it's to my understanding, the AI will always prioritize attacking a healer or dancer over any other unit when given the choice even when attacking the non-healer / non-dancer would've made far more sense like with your Fae. Anyone else reading this, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.