"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

17 hours ago, Xenomata said:

In most cases yeah -Res is better on a physical unit than -HP. The only time you will be putting yourself at risk of magic attacks with a -Res unit is dragon units and Close Counter mages... and I guess staff users with CC to, but lol CC Healer. If your going up against a Dragon, then they're either Nowi or Ninian, who probably have Triangle Adept 3 and you were dead to begin with, or they're not going to last long against Draug.

The only worry I have about giving Draug a Speedy Brave set is that he is an Armor unit, so he won't be walking to many battles on his own unless you have Amelia's Armor March. Of course that is what positioning skills are for.

In the end though, I think anyone would pick -Res over -HP on Draug. His Resistance is on par with Frederick's Resistance, or Delthea's Defense. He's dead against most magic anyways.

I am assuming that the Res bane being the best bane for most physical units still apply to those units with semi decent resistance as well like Eliwood and Sully? I personally prefer bulk on my units since I tend to bait more than I go on the offense thinking that maybe they'll need to take a magical hit but that usually only happens when I positioned them incorrectly so I've been giving preference to +Speed/HP- natures than a +Speed/Def- or Res- but training up these units has made me reconsider that HP banes are doing more harm than good. 

Oh, I was just considering a build for him since I happen to have a Draug with those boons/banes. Besides, I pulled my first Hana today other than the 2 free ones we get with the daily rotations so L & D supply is scarce over on my end even though I haven't used the 2 freebie Hana's yet for SI.

Edited by tobuShogi

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys!

So far I've been able to pull two Brave Lyns, but unfortunately, they are +Def / -Spd and +HP / -Spd. Part of me wants to keep trying to pull a non -Spd Lyn but if I choose not to, would it be best to stick with the +HP Lyn? I'm contemplating +1'ing her but I also cannot deny that being able to give out Swift Sparrow to someone else is tempting.

And given that I'll have to work with a -Spd, any suggestions for skill changes? I'll be for sure giving her a +1 Spd Seal, but not sure if there really is anything else I can do to try to compensate for it. I planned on running her in a Cavalry team anyways, but I still want to try to get the most out of her as I can.

... Fuck IV's.

Edited by Koos

2 hours ago, tobuShogi said:

I am assuming that the Res bane being the best bane for most physical units still apply to those units with semi decent resistance as well like Eliwood and Sully? I personally prefer bulk on my units since I tend to bait more than I go on the offense thinking that maybe they'll need to take a magical hit but that usually only happens when I positioned them incorrectly so I've been giving preference to +Speed/HP- natures than a +Speed/Def- or Res- but training up these units has made me reconsider that HP banes are doing more harm than good. 

Oh, I was just considering a build for him since I happen to have a Draug with those boons/banes. Besides, I pulled my first Hana today other than the 2 free ones we get with the daily rotations so L & D supply is scarce over on my end even though I haven't used the 2 freebie Hana's yet for SI.

Unless the unit is highly merged or have a crap ton of HP, -HP is generally the worst defensive bane for baiting, since it is essentially a minor bane to both Defense and Resistance. Unless the unit has Triangle Adept, the unit should not handle both physical and magical attacks as it is better to just excel in one area.

If you prefer walling and counter killing strategy, you might want to use semi-dragon teams instead since they are cheaper to build with access to Lightning Breath. I would not go full dragon team since they will be very susceptible to Julias unless Y!Tiki is highly merged.

I would also keep and save at least one neutral Hana for Grand Hero Battles.

1 hour ago, Koos said:

Hey guys!

So far I've been able to pull two Brave Lyns, but unfortunately, they are +Def / -Spd and +HP / -Spd. Part of me wants to keep trying to pull a non -Spd Lyn but if I choose not to, would it be best to stick with the +HP Lyn? I'm contemplating +1'ing her but I also cannot deny that being able to give out Swift Sparrow to someone else is tempting.

And given that I'll have to work with a -Spd, any suggestions for skill changes? I'll be for sure giving her a +1 Spd Seal, but not sure if there really is anything else I can do to try to compensate for it. I planned on running her in a Cavalry team anyways, but I still want to try to get the most out of her as I can.

... Fuck IV's.

There is nothing I would change since she really needs her Swift Sparrow now, and she needs Sacae's Blessing to avoid being countered by Hector.

Edited by XRay

49 minutes ago, Lunastria said:

Is brave lyn viable on normal teams or is a horse emblem team a far better team? I'd also like to ask if a +def -hp brave roy and a +spd -atk brave ike are viable. I assume the ike is not.

Most any unit who is viable on Horse/Flier/Armor emblem is just as viable on a normal team as they are in their respective team, save for very certain exceptions. They may suffer from lower total stat bonuses, but usually they can still make it through.

Lyn especially is just as good on a normal team as she is Horse Emblem. 3 movement and 2 range with a bow is not to be doubted.

1 hour ago, De Gea said:

I was lucky enough to pull Hector from the banner. What's the best team comp for him?

Treat him as a bulky green unit, and go from there.  I gave mine Pivot, so he can run around the map.  Have three other assist skills that move units is helpful.

I just pulled a +DEF-ATK CYL Roy and wonder how could I built him to make best use of his weapons effect? 

First thought was Death Blow, but I guess I it will not be considered in the calculation of the heavy blade effect? Then i would stick with fury, because life and death will make him too vulrnable. 

36 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I just pulled a +DEF-ATK CYL Roy and wonder how could I built him to make best use of his weapons effect? 

First thought was Death Blow, but I guess I it will not be considered in the calculation of the heavy blade effect? Then i would stick with fury, because life and death will make him too vulrnable. 

I'd go with Death Blow.  Since Roy is on a horse, Hone Cavalry gives him a +6 buff.  The -blow calculations are taken into account when dealing with skills (otherwise, Spurs would be useless).

For a build that takes advantage of his B slot, I'd go with Swift Sparrow. . .which is a pain in the butt to get.

Edited by eclipse

7 hours ago, XRay said:

If you prefer walling and counter killing strategy, you might want to use semi-dragon teams instead since they are cheaper to build with access to Lightning Breath. I would not go full dragon team since they will be very susceptible to Julias unless Y!Tiki is highly merged.

For the slower dragons like Nowi, A!Tiki, and Fae, I'm assuming a Speed bane would be the most ideal bane? 

In terms of sword fliers, how are people building Palla and/or Caeda? I'm leaning towards Palla since she has higher attack and her speed can be somewhat patched up via Goad fliers but Caeda isn't that bad either since she can run Iceberg to boost her damage output.  

11 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

For the slower dragons like Nowi, A!Tiki, and Fae, I'm assuming a Speed bane would be the most ideal bane?

My Fae is +Spd -HP and she can take a Bridal Cordelia (with the Squad Ace A seal, yeah, but...)

7 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

In terms of sword fliers, how are people building Palla and/or Caeda? I'm leaning towards Palla since she has higher attack and her speed can be somewhat patched up via Goad fliers but Caeda isn't that bad either since she can run Iceberg to boost her damage output.  

For A!Tiki, -Spd is preferred. However, even with Triangle Adept, A!Tiki should careful when tanking green mages since her magical bulk is pretty low especially if she is 4* unmerged.

The calculator is bugging out for me right now, so I cannot confirm Nowi and Fae's best bane. I never recorded their banes to be -Spd, so I think they might need their Speed stat more than one of their defensive stats. However, if they are running Triangle Adept, I do not think their banes matter too much as long as it is not -Atk.

I primarily use Palla. Caeda's damage is too low, and there is no point in relying on Special damage to kill something if another unit can accomplish the same kill without a Special. Caeda's only niche that I can think of is that she can wall off green mages with Ruby Sword, and she can either run Distance Def and kill the mage during the next Player Phase, or she can run Distant Counter and counter kill the mage during the same Enemy Phase.

I'm mostly looking for some general opinions about Swift Sparrow, Fury, and, Life and Death. I'm trying to think of a good A skill for my +SPD -ATK Brave Roy. (Pulling for one with a better nature isn't possible as I've pulled 3, and I've lost my will to keep pulling for him. (+HP -ATK, +SPD -ATK, +RES -SPD). 

So according to the calculator, Fury gets him the fewest kills, fewest losses, synergizes with Desperation, and remains active on enemy phase. Life and Death gets him the most kills but it also leaves him very vulnerable. Swift Sparrow gets him more kills than Fury but not as many as LaD but fewer deaths. It's also not active on enemy phase. 

After running LaD Nino for a while, I'm finding that I like Fury WAY more since it gives her a way to handle Reinhardt. As a whole, do people value more kills over less bulk or the other way around? 

1 hour ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I'm mostly looking for some general opinions about Swift Sparrow, Fury, and, Life and Death. I'm trying to think of a good A skill for my +SPD -ATK Brave Roy. (Pulling for one with a better nature isn't possible as I've pulled 3, and I've lost my will to keep pulling for him. (+HP -ATK, +SPD -ATK, +RES -SPD). 

So according to the calculator, Fury gets him the fewest kills, fewest losses, synergizes with Desperation, and remains active on enemy phase. Life and Death gets him the most kills but it also leaves him very vulnerable. Swift Sparrow gets him more kills than Fury but not as many as LaD but fewer deaths. It's also not active on enemy phase. 

After running LaD Nino for a while, I'm finding that I like Fury WAY more since it gives her a way to handle Reinhardt. As a whole, do people value more kills over less bulk or the other way around? 

It really depends on how you use each character.

Nino and Julia have practical reasons to be using Fury over the other options since they are commonly used to bait Reinhardt. Other units with passable bulk can also use Fury if necessary (my Minerva uses it instead of Life and Death), and Fury is generally a pretty good choice for Arena defense teams.

Characters that are used exclusively for player phase benefit most from Life and Death, but Swift Sparrow can be used as an alternative if you don't have Life and Death available or if it gives you a win that you absolutely need that unit to get.

8 hours ago, eclipse said:

I'd go with Death Blow.  Since Roy is on a horse, Hone Cavalry gives him a +6 buff.  The -blow calculations are taken into account when dealing with skills (otherwise, Spurs would be useless).

For a build that takes advantage of his B slot, I'd go with Swift Sparrow. . .which is a pain in the butt to get.

Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure of deathblow, because heavy blade is an A-slot skill and therefore was never combined with deathblow before CYL Roy. 

Yeah, I have a dozen units that want Swift sparrow, but never got Katarina (or Lyn). I was thinking of changing desperation for QR, but that would bring me into the famous dilemma of mixing up enemy phase and player phase skills. 

26 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure of deathblow, because heavy blade is an A-slot skill and therefore was never combined with deathblow before CYL Roy. 

Yeah, I have a dozen units that want Swift sparrow, but never got Katarina (or Lyn). I was thinking of changing desperation for QR, but that would bring me into the famous dilemma of mixing up enemy phase and player phase skills. 

L&D is fairly safe as an alternative to swift sparrow, yeah, you take 4 or 5 more damage (due to level 2 or 3), but you also get 4 or 5 more speed on enemy phase, which avoids a lot of doubles on enemy phase.

I run Camus with L&D, and he very much enjoys the extra Speed and Atk. (Fury 3's fine as well, of course, but I didn't have a Hinata at the time, and level 2 L&D costs the same even if I did, so I just slapped level 2 on him.)

Edit: Oh yeah, @Ice Dragon, do you know if Lyn's Prf bow works versus dragon buffs? (I'm assuming 'magic user' means unit that hits res, but it might just mean tome and staff users.

Edited by DehNutCase

1 hour ago, DehNutCase said:

L&D is fairly safe as an alternative to swift sparrow, yeah, you take 4 or 5 more damage (due to level 2 or 3), but you also get 4 or 5 more speed on enemy phase, which avoids a lot of doubles on enemy phase.

I run Camus with L&D, and he very much enjoys the extra Speed and Atk. (Fury 3's fine as well, of course, but I didn't have a Hinata at the time, and level 2 L&D costs the same even if I did, so I just slapped level 2 on him.)

Edit: Oh yeah, @Ice Dragon, do you know if Lyn's Prf bow works versus dragon buffs? (I'm assuming 'magic user' means unit that hits res, but it might just mean tome and staff users.

I didn't think of LnD for Roy until now. I thought Fury would make him better use of his +DEF nature, but what is +3 DEF good for, if you take 7 Damage afterwards? I have 1 Hinata, 1 Klein and some Hanas left, but will wait for Friday to train him up for double SPs. 

Camus likes Fury better for Bonfire output btw. 

Edited by mampfoid
+3 DEF added

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

It really depends on how you use each character.

Nino and Julia have practical reasons to be using Fury over the other options since they are commonly used to bait Reinhardt. Other units with passable bulk can also use Fury if necessary (my Minerva uses it instead of Life and Death), and Fury is generally a pretty good choice for Arena defense teams.

Characters that are used exclusively for player phase benefit most from Life and Death, but Swift Sparrow can be used as an alternative if you don't have Life and Death available or if it gives you a win that you absolutely need that unit to get.

So I'll have to think about a player phase Roy versus enemy phase. Though it's likely I'll do the former considering he's not that bulky to begin with. I'll have to play around with calculations and see if my team for next season could use the extra bulk or not. 

4 hours ago, Rinco said:

So, I got a second Brave Ike, but this one is -Atk/+Def. Should I merge him on my -Hp/+Res? 

If you do not have a good defense team yet, I would actually try holding on to both of them and green spam your opponent. If that does not earn you any defense wins for a week, then merging them is fine. You can also try passing around Steady Breath to one of your other units, since 1 merge probably is not going to give you as good a return as inheriting a good skill.

12 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

My Fae is +Spd -HP and she can take a Bridal Cordelia (with the Squad Ace A seal, yeah, but...)

Impressive. Is she merged at all?

11 hours ago, XRay said:

For A!Tiki, -Spd is preferred. However, even with Triangle Adept, A!Tiki should careful when tanking green mages since her magical bulk is pretty low especially if she is 4* unmerged.

The calculator is bugging out for me right now, so I cannot confirm Nowi and Fae's best bane. I never recorded their banes to be -Spd, so I think they might need their Speed stat more than one of their defensive stats. However, if they are running Triangle Adept, I do not think their banes matter too much as long as it is not -Atk.

I primarily use Palla. Caeda's damage is too low, and there is no point in relying on Special damage to kill something if another unit can accomplish the same kill without a Special. Caeda's only niche that I can think of is that she can wall off green mages with Ruby Sword, and she can either run Distance Def and kill the mage during the next Player Phase, or she can run Distant Counter and counter kill the mage during the same Enemy Phase.

For A!Tiki, I think I'm gonna merge her up to +5 @ 5* rarity whenever I pull that many copies of her and/or have enough feathers for that. I believe +5 is when you get +2 to all your stats?

If we're not going with speed as a bane, would it better to invest in one of their higher defenses and lower the other one? 

What do you run on your Palla? I'm thinking of running her as a green check with her default Ruby Sword since her Speed is a bit low for a Brave Sword+ set especially since I don't have Hone Fliers. 

Just now, XRay said:

If you do not have a good defense team yet, I would actually try holding on to both of them and green spam your opponent. If that does not earn you any defense wins for a week, then merging them is fine. You can also try passing around Steady Breath to one of your other units, since 1 merge probably is not going to give you as good a return as inheriting a good skill.

I'm doing ok with defenses for now. I don't think I need to keep 2 Ikes.
Merging him on my trained one would net him +1 HP and +1 Atk, if I'm not mistaken, and some extra arena points. Is it really better to use him as fodder?

Who would be a good candidate for inheriting Steady Breath? Xander/Camus?

8 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Japanese uses the wording meant for tomes and only tomes. Based on the wording alone, my assumption is that staff and breath users are unaffected.

Compare with Watersweep, which specifically lists "magic, staff, or dragonstone" even in English.

6 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Would TA Bowbreaker Gronnraven Soren who is +Def-Res serve as a decent counter to CYL Lyn, or is his 20 Def, just too low?

Soren+0 is able to handle BH!Lyn [+Atk, vanilla, merge+10] with that skill set. He will drop from 36 HP to 21HP, so he should be able to handle one or two BH!Lyns. If she is running Brave Bow with everything else being vanilla, then Soren will drop from 36 HP to 14 HP, so he can only take one of her.

5 hours ago, tobuShogi said:

For A!Tiki, I think I'm gonna merge her up to +5 @ 5* rarity whenever I pull that many copies of her and/or have enough feathers for that. I believe +5 is when you get +2 to all your stats?

If we're not going with speed as a bane, would it better to invest in one of their higher defenses and lower the other one? 

What do you run on your Palla? I'm thinking of running her as a green check with her default Ruby Sword since her Speed is a bit low for a Brave Sword+ set especially since I don't have Hone Fliers. 

Yeah, merge+5 is +2 to all your stats. However, also keep in mind that the enemies you face in the Arena will be stronger too, even with Triangle Adept, I do not think A!Tiki can survive Julia if she is [+Spd, Naga, Life and Death], so you need another red or colorless unit to counter her.

That calculator is working for me now, so here are the sets for Nowi and Fae:

Nowi +Atk -Res
Lightning Breath, Moonbow
Fury, Quick Riposte
Enemy Phase 128:9:31
Enemy Phase [Merge+5] 126:8:34
Enemy Phase [Merge+10] 111:8:49
Enemy Phase [-Spd] 129:17:22
Enemy Phase [-Spd, Merge+5] 127:16:25
Enemy Phase [-Spd, Merge+10] 115:15:38

Speed bane will allow Nowi to activate Moonbow, so she can get an extra kill provided that she can survive being doubled. However, the few extra kills may or may not be worth doubling her losses depending on your play style and preferences.

Nowi +Atk -Res
Triangle Adept, Quick Riposte
Enemy Phase [No Greens]  109:6:19
Enemy Phase [No Greens, Merge+5] 105:6:23
Enemy Phase [No Greens, Merge+10] 105:5:24
Enemy Phase [No Greens, -Spd]  109:7:19
Enemy Phase [No Greens, -Spd, Merge+5] 108:7:19
Enemy Phase [No Greens, -Spd, Merge+10] 108:6:20

Similar to above, -Spd will ger her a few more kills in exchange for more losses.

Fae +Atk -Res
Triangle Adept, Quick Riposte
Enemy Phase [No Reds] 86:6:24
Enemy Phase [No Reds, Merge+5] 82:5:29
Enemy Phase [No Reds, Merge+10] 82:4:30

Speed bane gets Fae killed a lot more often with no upside.

I kept Palla's Ruby Sword since her main job is just to kill greens. She runs Axebreaker and Goad Fliers. I gave her Attack +3, although she should be using Fury, but I do not use her often enough to bother changing it. She should also have Reposition, but I have not have a huge need for Assists during flier quests.

5 hours ago, Rinco said:

I'm doing ok with defenses for now. I don't think I need to keep 2 Ikes.
Merging him on my trained one would net him +1 HP and +1 Atk, if I'm not mistaken, and some extra arena points. Is it really better to use him as fodder?

Who would be a good candidate for inheriting Steady Breath? Xander/Camus?

The Arena point difference is really small in my opinion with only 1 merge. I do not think +2 stat points is that big of a help. However, Ike is not limited, so when you summon more of him in the future you can merge him to a higher level, but that will take a really long time and lots of merges to see any noticeable difference.

Steady Breath should be used when you run out of Fury or Triangle Adept fodder for Enemy Phase builds. Those two skills are still better than Steady Breath in my opinion, but most players run out of Fury and Triangle Adept fodder pretty quickly since they are in high demand, so you should have other skills ready as substitutes.

Xander and Camus are both good candidates if you have not given them Fury yet.

Edited by XRay