"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

She has 31/42 HP in that round of combat, which is just low enough to activate Vantage.

Her weapon has Meisterschwert's dual-phase Brave effect on it.

That must be what it was.  Odd.  Though that weapon is troublesome in its own right...

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

That must be what it was.  Odd.  Though that weapon is troublesome in its own right...

Dunno about it being "odd". She has Vantage in her base kit and the skill icon and skill name "Vantage 3" flashed across the top of the screen when it activated.

The weapon itself is Meisterschwert with 1 less Mt in exchange for Distant Counter. Honestly, that's pretty reasonable considering Keaton has 4 more Atk than Altina (including their weapons), the Wo Dao effect, and the ability to receive blessing bonuses in exchange for having to give up his A slot for Distant Counter.

Edited by Ice Dragon

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Dunno about it being "odd". She has Vantage in her base kit and the skill icon and skill name "Vantage 3" flashed across the top of the screen when it activated.

The weapon itself is Meisterschwert with 1 less Mt in exchange for Distant Counter. Honestly, that's pretty reasonable considering Keaton has 4 more Atk than Altina (including their weapons), the Wo Dao effect, and the ability to receive blessing bonuses in exchange for having to give up his A slot for Distant Counter.

I didn't notice it at first, but thanks for clarifying.

So I pulled Nailah and was wondering who'd be a good candidate for DC.  I don't know of any special cases, though I do have brave Ike and he seems like the logical choice.

Anyone else who needs DC in their builds that don't have it naturally?

Edited by TheSilentChloey

7 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

DC Vantage units, like Ares, Kaeton and Laevatein, or tanky units that will make good use of Null C-Disrupt, like Nowi and Libra. Nowi has Lighting Breath, but you can give her DC and use a different Breath (I use Water Breath, for example).

1 hour ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I didn't notice it at first, but thanks for clarifying.

So I pulled Nailah and was wondering who'd be a good candidate for DC.  I don't know of any special cases, though I do have brave Ike and he seems like the logical choice.

I would go with Brave Heroes Ike. He does not have a huge need for a defensive B slot and Sacred Seal slot due to how stupid good Urvan's Refine is, so he can go all out with Null C-Disrupt and Quick Riposte. Just watch out for Blazing mages and Hardy Bearing units though, since they might have enough Atk to breakthrough his low Res or bypass Urvan's defense.

If you do find he needs more bulk, the best B skills I can think of would be Guard and Lull Atk/Spd or Lull Atk/Def (depends on whether he needs to avoid doubles). I lean towards Lulls since it debuffs all of the opponent's attacks, whereas Guard only reduces damage if the opponent is running a Special that can activate in time.

I do not think it is a good idea to run healing skills like Mystic Boost or Sol-Special Spiral, since I think damage prevention is more important than healing for sustaining multiple rounds of combat, and if you need to heal, running a dedicated healer would be better.

1 hour ago, Landmaster said:

Fierce Breath on Sothis, yay or nay?

I personally lean nay. I lean towards Steady Breath and Warding Breath for better bulk, or Darting Breath for certain units whenever that is released.

I would only use Fierce Breath for Counter-Vantage units running Distant Counter Meister Weapons, but the only one who has that is Altina and she is a flier so she cannot run Breaths.

I basically lean nay for the same reason I prefer +Spd/Def/Res (or even neutral or +HP in those rare cases if you really want that HP boost to avoid Panic Panor (D) and stuff) on Enemy Phase units rather than +Atk on Enemy Phase units. I think bulk is more valuable than increasing Atk since whatever Special the unit is running should be more than sufficient to kill the enemy, and having higher bulk also makes it easier to fight multiple rounds of combat.

However, on the flip side, if you think the unit has more than enough bulk to tank whatever you need it to tank, then Fierce Breath might be more appealing to you. If you are having Sothis only tanking greens or weak reds for example, there is no need to increase bulk and going all out on Atk might make better sense to ensure whatever attacking the tank is dead.

Edited by XRay

I have a whole bunch of four star units that I am debating whether or not to five star, I have a short video of my barracks for FEH here:

Spoiler

Are there any standouts who I should probably five star (either to merge or good base IVs) to work with or should I be focusing on certain skills?  There are also some units who have a five star merge waiting for them as well to remove their flaws, if that helps any.

37 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I have a whole bunch of four star units that I am debating whether or not to five star, I have a short video of my barracks for FEH here:

Reveal hidden contents

Are there any standouts who I should probably five star (either to merge or good base IVs) to work with or should I be focusing on certain skills?  There are also some units who have a five star merge waiting for them as well to remove their flaws, if that helps any.

Palla, Catria, Est, and Reyson are really good for Røkkr Sieges. The former three can quad and run Galeforce, and their ideal nature should be +Atk. Reyson is useful for healing to keep his teammates' Guards up, and his nature and build does not really matter. The White Wing's set up is pretty simple:
+Atk
White Wing Weapon
Special Refinement
Reposition
Galeforce
Death Blow
Guard
Ward Fliers — Goad Fliers
(Any Sacred Seal that boosts Atk)
You will need about 60,000 or 80,000 Feathers per White Wing. You need 20,000 for Galeforce and another 20,000 for Guard. You will need 20,000 to promote a White Wing to 5* and you may need another 20,000 for merges to fix a Flaw, especially if it is Atk/Spd. HP/Def/Res Flaws might also need to be fixed depending on if it is difficult to keep Guard up.

Eliwood, Caeda, and Clair are decent Galeforcers who got Heavy Blade/Flashing Blade built into their weapons. They are more useful in competitive modes in my opinion, but if you do not care about Aether Raids, they can function decently in Røkkr Sieges as well, especially Caeda and Clair against an armor Røkkr.

Navarre, Cordelia, Peri, and Raven are good Galeforcers, but they do need Heavy Blade/Flashing Blade.

Other than that, there is not much more I can recommend. Kronya, Mordecai, and Seliph are more suited for Aether Raids, and I do not think they translate too well into PvE.

You seem to have a lot of nukes already and quite a few that needs to finish leveling up, but if you need more nukes, Lilina, L'Arachel, Mae, Darkness Within Delthea, Ursula, Soren, etc. are all decent, but I would not bother with them up unless you are really bored or something and need to fill out your Blessing teams for Arena Assault.

Just a quickie on boon selection for Legendary Julia. HP and Spd for her seems to be more or less a case of six of one or half-a-dozen or the other. Mirror Impact however means that Spd is slightly marginalised as it only prevents being doubled on enemy phase now. That said, it still helps her double particularly slow enemies on player phase which is still infinitely more offensive benefit than HP provides.

2 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Just a quickie on boon selection for Legendary Julia. HP and Spd for her seems to be more or less a case of six of one or half-a-dozen or the other. Mirror Impact however means that Spd is slightly marginalised as it only prevents being doubled on enemy phase now. That said, it still helps her double particularly slow enemies on player phase which is still infinitely more offensive benefit than HP provides.

If you want to be crazy, it's entirely possible to run the Darting Blow Sacred Seal on her to make her moderately fast. She has 37 Spd on initiation with a Spd Asset while also lowering the opponent's Spd by 2 with Light and Dark and disabling their field buffs.

I'd lean towards Spd even if you aren't running Darting Blow.

1 minute ago, Super Endriu said:

I mean do they work together with Ike's refined weapon? 

Calculations for start-of-turn effects occur before any of the effects activate, so yes, they will work together if his Special is fully uncharged the moment the turn starts.

2 hours ago, Super Endriu said:

Does it make sense to put wrath and time pulse on b!ike? I mean do they work together with Ike's refined weapon? 

Keep in mind that Time's Pulse might be more clunky than people think due it not working when you have one or more cooldown charge. So if you are going all out on a Special with 3 charges like Ignis (Urvan reduces the total cooldown charge from 4 to 3), and BH!Ike got 1 charge after battle, BH!Ike will have to wait an additional two turns for Wrath to charge Ignis back up.

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

So if you are going all out on a Special with 3 charges like Ignis (Urvan reduces the total cooldown charge from 4 to 3), and BH!Ike got 1 charge after battle, BH!Ike will have to wait an additional two turns for Wrath to charge Ignis back up.

And in this particular scenario, if Ike had a fully uncharged Ignis after battle, it would still take 2 turns to charge it back up because Time's Pulse and Wrath give it 2 points on turn 1 and Wrath gives it the last point on turn 2.

Time's Pulse simply makes sure that it will never take more than 2 turns for Ignis to charge off of Wrath.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

And in this particular scenario, if Ike had a fully uncharged Ignis after battle, it would still take 2 turns to charge it back up because Time's Pulse and Wrath give it 2 points on turn 1 and Wrath gives it the last point on turn 2.

Time's Pulse simply makes sure that it will never take more than 2 turns for Ignis to charge off of Wrath.

Oh yeah, for some reason I thought Time's Pulse reduces cooldown by 2. I guess Bonfire would be better in this case since it will always charge back up.

If we are discussing Time's Pulse I am curious if putting it on Counter Vantage Keaton over Defense Smoke would be an improvement? He does get that nice +10 damage on special activation. And getting Defense Smoke off isn't always a guarantee + the debuff can be danced away or harsh commanded.

Also of the 2 turn specials which would you go with if Ruptured Sky was off the list? I have been running Reprisal and using the Bolt Trap to drop his hp(which can't always be relied on). That is about 15 damage under ideal circumstances. But am wondering if I would be better off with Moonbow/Glimmer for those situations where I can't nuke his HP to single digits?

Though if I ever get Infantry Rush fodder(or a second Brave Lucina I guess) It could be interesting to try and use a 3 turn special. Draconic Aura would be fun. That would require the team to be rebuilt though since he is the only infantry on it.

27 minutes ago, Usana said:

If we are discussing Time's Pulse I am curious if putting it on Counter Vantage Keaton over Defense Smoke would be an improvement? He does get that nice +10 damage on special activation. And getting Defense Smoke off isn't always a guarantee + the debuff can be danced away or harsh commanded.

Also of the 2 turn specials which would you go with if Ruptured Sky was off the list? I have been running Reprisal and using the Bolt Trap to drop his hp(which can't always be relied on). That is about 15 damage under ideal circumstances. But am wondering if I would be better off with Moonbow/Glimmer for those situations where I can't nuke his HP to single digits?

Though if I ever get Infantry Rush fodder(or a second Brave Lucina I guess) It could be interesting to try and use a 3 turn special. Draconic Aura would be fun. That would require the team to be rebuilt though since he is the only infantry on it.

Time's Pulse only works once per turn, while Def Smoke can be reapplied after every round of combat if the enemy manages to get rid of the debuff. I think TIme's Pulse is better if you are only facing one or two opponents at a time, but Def Smoke would be better in my opinion if the Counter-Vantage unit is in the middle of an enemy formation.

@XRay Thanks for spelling it out. Yeah sounds like it would really only impact first combat. Which could help in some circumstances but is probably not better than Defense Smoke overall. So seems like if I want to make use his +10 special damage I need a source of Infantry Rush or another Lucina.

@XRay @Ice Dragon

Thanks!

Was probably more of a thought of who to fodder sothis off to. I am not sure if b!ike would actually benefit from it, seems more like a situational thing. Although at the beginning of any battle his cooldown would be lower by one, so it's a gamechanger either way.

Maybe I will fodder off an atk/spd solo-wrath combo, will see.

43 minutes ago, Super Endriu said:

Was probably more of a thought of who to fodder sothis off to. I am not sure if b!ike would actually benefit from it, seems more like a situational thing. Although at the beginning of any battle his cooldown would be lower by one, so it's a gamechanger either way.

I think it is pretty decent on BH!Ike, as it gives him a better Player Phase presence. Special Spiral can accomplish the same thing too and it works after every round of combat, although you will be missing out on the Wrath damage.

Other than BH!Ike, Lyn running Wrath can use Time's Pulse pretty well too. Since a Wrath Lyn is not concerned about multiple rounds of combat, she does not benefit from Def Smoke like Special Spiral Lyn does.

19 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Hide contents

Since all of my barracks and books are in the post above, which nukes should I be using, since I can't seem to get a nuke to do nukeish things properly (and I really dislike fury as we all know well).  I am still not sure who I should invest in (merge up, si etc).  I'm also debating on 10+ Henry because favouritism, or healers I want to remove flaws off who have a five star merge (Lucius, Wrys or Brady etc) or certain other non healers in the same boat (Lilina).

I suppose what I'm getting at is who is worth the minimal investment I can give atm to work very well.  Anything more than 20,000 feathers to five star isn't cutting it.  I don't have the sixty to eighty thousand feathers to invest so readily.

4 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Since all of my barracks and books are in the post above, which nukes should I be using, since I can't seem to get a nuke to do nukeish things properly (and I really dislike fury as we all know well).

If you are not using Fury to get their HP down, are you making sure they take enough counter attack damage? Nukes should be under 75% HP to activate Desperation, and ideally under 50% so Dancers/Singers can activate Wings of Mercy. If you are not getting a nuke's HP down, it would be very hard to use them.

I am not sure why you dislike Fury so much, but if it stems from your habits playing the main saries, Heroes is not like the main series in this regard. While you generally want to keep everyone's HP high in the main games, you do not want Player Phase units to have high HP in Heroes. In fact, high HP is generally more of a bad thing than a good thing for Player Phase units in Heroes.

You got some really good nukes already at 5*, so I am not sure you really need more nukes unless you plan to Bless them for maximum convenience and maximizing score in Arena Assault. Summer's Arrival Tana, Reinhardt, F!Morgan, A Sketchy Summer Camilla, Lewyn, Nino, Brave Heroes Lyn, Wings of Fate Hinoka, Maribelle, Celica, Lilina, Bridal Bloom Tharja, Linde, Delthea, Tailtiu, Ishtar, Ophelia, Summer Returns Laegjarn, Sonya, Lugh, Greil's Devoted Mist, Scattered Fangs Nino, Alm: Saint King, Summer's Arrival Noire, Love Abounds Roy, Hares at the Fare Loki, A Sketchy Summer Takumi, Brave Echoes Camilla, Claude, Tharja, Lute, Elise, and Brunya are all at least pretty decent nukes, and some of them are outright amazing. Celica is your best bet for clearing Abyssal content, and maybe Ophelia too. ASS!Takumi is the best Player Phase archer in the game in my opinion; Claude and BH!Lyn are not far behind as amongst the best archers. Most of them work best with Desperation, but if you really dislike managing low HP on nukes, SR!Laegjarn and Lewyn have reverse Desperation.

4 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I suppose what I'm getting at is who is worth the minimal investment I can give atm to work very well.  Anything more than 20,000 feathers to five star isn't cutting it.  I don't have the sixty to eighty thousand feathers to invest so readily.

Player Phase nukes are really cheap to build compared to Enemy Phase tanks. A tank is no where near as effective as nukes given the same budget. Reposition, Moonbow, Fury/Life and Death/Death Blow, and Desperation/Breakers are all obtainable from 4* units. The only thing you need 5* units for are the Weapons+, and Blade tomes and Brave Bows are pretty common.

Tanks in contrast need to spend Feathers on their Weapons AND B slot (Guard or Quick Riposte), on top of needing a premium A skill to have the same level of ease of use and effectiveness as nukes. Many of their ideal Weapons are also 5* exclusives or costs Grails, such as Safeguard, Barrier Lance, Hack-o'-Lantern, and Serpent tomes. If you really want them to shine or fulfill a niche, they may need a premium B skill too like Lulls and Null C-Disrupt.

Edited by XRay

3 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Since all of my barracks and books are in the post above, which nukes should I be using, since I can't seem to get a nuke to do nukeish things properly (and I really dislike fury as we all know well).  I am still not sure who I should invest in (merge up, si etc).  I'm also debating on 10+ Henry because favouritism, or healers I want to remove flaws off who have a five star merge (Lucius, Wrys or Brady etc) or certain other non healers in the same boat (Lilina).

For nukes, you want to build a team around them; the best teammates are dancers, a secondary nuke (ideally of the colour they have WTA against, so that it has WTA against enemies the primary nuke has WTD against), and a tank to intercept any EP combat needed. What team you use depends on what mode you're currently playing, but I'll describe a general-purpose team.

Ophelia and Legend Alm are (IMO) the best nukes you have. Legend Azura as a dancer/buffer would be a good teammate in  both cases. For Ophelia's team, Dance Micaiah works as a dancer/secondary nuke, and finish with a non-infantry tank, such as Nagi. For Alm's team, I would use Flying Olivia, and any non-flying tank such as Brave Ike.

Also make sure you have a debuff of some kind. Debuffs tend to be situational, but I find Chills to work best. They will always hit the most troublesome enemy, and always hit a single enemy remaining.

6 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Larchel is a fairly easy option to build. Ivaldi's effect and a Spd Asset help fix up her otherwise middling Spd stat for a better chance at doubling or you can use Blarblade (without the "plus" if you don't have feathers to spare) for better one-hit kill potential. Being a cavalry unit also means she has easy access to buffs.

Lilina is a good unit if you have the spare Dew for her weapon's refine (if not, then you can alternatively use Raudhrblade with or without the "plus"). She's relatively slow, so you're best off focusing on boosting her Atk stat as high as you can to aim for one-hit kills. Weaponbreakers are also cheap to get if you need the double to grab specific kills.

So I got pity broke by Idunn and since I already have a good IV one, I'm curious as to if I should merge her or not (I mean she's been pretty serviceable until now and does tank quite well all things considered).

If I go down the no merge route, then who would benefit from the skills she offers as SI?

Also thanks everyone for the advice.