"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

4 hours ago, Karuu30 said:

Got a +res -hp Hubert in the Chill skills banner. I’m not sure if I should build him or just fodder him for Infantry Hexblade, which I’ve heard is a decent skill for some mages. 
Thanks!

I would not bother with Infantry Hexblade.

If you are bringing Infantry Hexblade, it already means you are bringing both physical and magical sources of damage, which makes the skill in itself a little pointless. It does almost nothing (or absolutely nothing) against enemies with relatively balanced bulk. It's positioning requirement is too strict in my opinion, rendering it only viable with Enemy Phase units.

If you want to increase damage output, I would either bring Brave Heroes Lucina or a support unit with Infantry Rush/Infantry Flash. Increasing the rate you are charging your Special is better in my opinion for increasing damage output.

BH!Lucina is limited to supporting Enemy Phase units, but she can support all physical units and not just Infantry ones, she can support from 2 spaces away, and she gives a lot of buffs on top.

Infantry Rush and Infantry Flash works with all types of infantry units, not just physical, and it can support up to 2 spaces away as well. And due to its increased range, it can also support a Player Phase infantry Galeforce team. Infantry Rush and Infantry Rush does have reliability issues as well since it is based on stat comparisons, but Infantry Hexblade is based on stat comparisons too.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Does Halloween Henry like being a close counter mage?  I'm thinking of giving him vengeful fighter as well if he does.

Every ranged armor is viable for Close Counter, so yes.

Henry is also fast enough to comfortably run Special Fighter, so it's your call (resources permitting) if you want to go with Vengeful Fighter or Special Fighter.

Who's a good candidate for Distant Counter?  I pulled another Hector (+HP/-Def) to keep and am curious as to whom would like it.  It's a toss up between Regular Chrom, Lucy or merge to get rid of the Def bane, or some other unit who really needs it.

1 hour ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Who's a good candidate for Distant Counter?  I pulled another Hector (+HP/-Def) to keep and am curious as to whom would like it.  It's a toss up between Regular Chrom, Lucy or merge to get rid of the Def bane, or some other unit who really needs it.

If I had to pick one unit in the entire game it'd be Ares for sure.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

If I had to pick one unit in the entire game it'd be Ares for sure.

Yeah. Ares is a great option for DC unit. Bonfire + DC + Vantage for Ares is a pretty good combo.

I was thinking in others options, but most of them kinda want Null C-Disrupt as well.

3 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Every armor that doesn't already have it on their weapon. Every dragon that doesn't already have it on their weapon. Ares. Perceval. Sigurd. Sword Reinhardt. Brave Ike. Laevatein. Keaton.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:42 AM, Karuu30 said:

Got a +res -hp Hubert in the Chill skills banner. I’m not sure if I should build him or just fodder him for Infantry Hexblade, which I’ve heard is a decent skill for some mages. 
Thanks!

give it to Babyzura. if you build her in arena that could be helpful. 

Update to my last problem: I found the option! When you select a part in a chapter to go into, there's a toggle for skipping dialogue. However, it seems to affect all of them instead of what it did on my previous device, which was to remember which difficulty levels I want to skip dialogue on and which ones I don't. Maybe I haven't messed around with it enough yet, though.

34 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

I got lucky and pulled Tibarn, Hubert, and Saber as free summons. Tibarn as bad IVs, so I’m wondering what’s the best skill to fodder?

Sturdy Impact and Chill Atk. You promote Athena to 5* to get Sturdy Blow, and then you fodder Tibarn for Sturdy Impact and Chill Atk.

As long as Tibarn is not -Atk, I would keep him since he should still be usable. With guaranteed follow-up, his only stat that practically matters is Atk, and as long as it is neutral or better, it should be fine.

21 minutes ago, XRay said:

As long as Tibarn is not -Atk, I would keep him since he should still be usable. With guaranteed follow-up, his only stat that practically matters is Atk, and as long as it is neutral or better, it should be fine.

Even if Tibarn is -Atk, that's still 35 base Atk. Less than ideal, sure, but still more than serviceable.

@ZeManaphy

I swear to god this games RNG likes to screw with me. I was trying to figure out what I'm gonna do about this seasons AR bonus unit, and I had an urge to do a YOLO summon since I saw the banner is ending tonight and I really wanted Larcei in the first place. I know it's silly thinking, but whatever....

cbu2npSl.png

Well, I had incredible luck, but not really. Yes, it was a good pull but it isn't Larcei AND it gave me the same crap IVs I already have (+HP -Res). Why does this always happen to me? Like the last Mythic banner I pulled 3 Ikes all with the same dumb IVs. Uggggg. Well, at least I have some Wrath fodder now I guess.

So now I still don't know what to do for a bonus unit. My options are: Switch my current Shannan's blessing from Dark to Astra (I only have 4 of each right now), Keep both Shannans and bless the new one Astra and wait to fodder him until next week (seems like a waste), Promote Anna or Travant. I like Travant better but Anna is the smart choice because she's on rotation. But I only have around 70k feathers so I would have to give her a budget build which probably means not Galeforce. I may have enough refining stones to get the dew needed for her PRF, but I wanted to do Eliwood next so not sure if I want to spend the dew now.

So what do you guys think I should do? Am I just stressing over the 20 extra points for nothing?

1 hour ago, TEKWRX said:

I swear to god this games RNG likes to screw with me. I was trying to figure out what I'm gonna do about this seasons AR bonus unit, and I had an urge to do a YOLO summon since I saw the banner is ending tonight and I really wanted Larcei in the first place. I know it's silly thinking, but whatever....

cbu2npSl.png

Well, I had incredible luck, but not really. Yes, it was a good pull but it isn't Larcei AND it gave me the same crap IVs I already have (+HP -Res). Why does this always happen to me? Like the last Mythic banner I pulled 3 Ikes all with the same dumb IVs. Uggggg. Well, at least I have some Wrath fodder now I guess.

So now I still don't know what to do for a bonus unit. My options are: Switch my current Shannan's blessing from Dark to Astra (I only have 4 of each right now), Keep both Shannans and bless the new one Astra and wait to fodder him until next week (seems like a waste), Promote Anna or Travant. I like Travant better but Anna is the smart choice because she's on rotation. But I only have around 70k feathers so I would have to give her a budget build which probably means not Galeforce. I may have enough refining stones to get the dew needed for her PRF, but I wanted to do Eliwood next so not sure if I want to spend the dew now.

So what do you guys think I should do? Am I just stressing over the 20 extra points for nothing?

You're T21, if resources are scarce for you right now, just do a week without a bonus unit. From T21 onwards the difference is not so damning if you don't score high one week.

Also, Shannan is way more than wrath fodder, take his A skill, far more valuable. Or better, take both, by using a thea and an astram.

13 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

You're T21, if resources are scarce for you right now, just do a week without a bonus unit. From T21 onwards the difference is not so damning if you don't score high one week.

Also, Shannan is way more than wrath fodder, take his A skill, far more valuable. Or better, take both, by using a thea and an astram.

Yeah, you're right. When I do fodder him I will get both Wrath and Steady Posture 3 using a Thea.

And in the end, I just changed my current Shannan's blessing to Astra. I figure my Astra teams are set, so I won't need the blessings for a little while, and I'll get more soon anyway.

I just really wish I would have pulled Larcei instead of a duplicate Shannan. Close Call/Repel are some of the most broken skills in the game, lol. Oh well....

@XRay and @Ice Dragon

Okay, due to real life intervening it took me quite a while to actually write an answer to you, so first of all: Let me thank you both for your advice.
Just for your information on what I did so far: I ended up keeping the +Atk versions of Legendary Marth and Sacred Memories Eirika while merging my Veronicas (since I recently got another Genny for Wrathful Staff and figured that foddering her off would be more efficient). I haven't done anything with my spare Legendary Tiki or Flora yet, though I'm leaning towards giving Flora's Atk/Res-Solo to Yune (who is at least used somewhat frequently during Aether Raids and should benefit from that).

You both suggested giving Tiki's skills to an armored unit with built-in Distant Counter, but my only real option for that is the Black Knight, I suppose (since the others have DC in their A slot). If I want to give Bold Fighter to one of my characters with Armor March instead, I'm kind of wasting the Breath skill, and if I inherit Fierce Breath to one of the many many people that want a Breath skill, I'm probably wasting Bold Fighter. Oh well.

I recently got a second New Year Hrid though and therefore finally want to finish his build, so... Should I just keep his native Atk/Def-Bond or replace it with something else that's somewhat budget-friendly? I know that bond skills generally aren't really great on most offensive player phase units and should be replaced with something like Fury, but since it's usually easier for enemy phase tanks to clump together and actually activate them...

Also, regarding Lon'qu and Raven: Do you think it's better to double up on Life and Death for them or should I rather utilize Fury to have an easier time reaching Desperation range/surviving a single hit?

Besides that, I gave Sonya her legendary refine some while ago and was wondering about a good B slot skill for her that's not Special Spiral. Something like a chill or sabotage skill maybe? Cause she doesn't really seem fast enough for Desperation or bulky enough for Quick Riposte, and most Breaker skills aren't really all that good anymore anyways...

And one final question: How do you choose the special skill on your offensive units? I know that simply picking Moonbow should be pretty much optimal most of the time (unless we're talking about Bladetome mages), but there's a decent amount of units that's also good in one of their defensive stats and therefore kinda commonly seen with a skill that capitalizes on this (e.g. Eir with Iceberg).
Do you still just pick Moonbow regardless of that, mix it up depending on someone's stats or does it also somewhat rely on their general skillset (due to Moonbow getting comparatively worse when you hit an enemy with debuffs from a Chill skill or a dagger or something like that)?

3 hours ago, Sias said:

I recently got a second New Year Hrid though and therefore finally want to finish his build, so... Should I just keep his native Atk/Def-Bond or replace it with something else that's somewhat budget-friendly? I know that bond skills generally aren't really great on most offensive player phase units and should be replaced with something like Fury, but since it's usually easier for enemy phase tanks to clump together and actually activate them...

Bonds are fine for easy modes like Arena and Tempest Trials, but I do not recommend it for Aether Raids.

For New Year's of Fire and Ice Hríd, you can give him Sturdy Stance, which is available from Altena, who was recently dropped into the 4* pool.

3 hours ago, Sias said:

And one final question: How do you choose the special skill on your offensive units? I know that simply picking Moonbow should be pretty much optimal most of the time (unless we're talking about Bladetome mages), but there's a decent amount of units that's also good in one of their defensive stats and therefore kinda commonly seen with a skill that capitalizes on this (e.g. Eir with Iceberg).
Do you still just pick Moonbow regardless of that, mix it up depending on someone's stats or does it also somewhat rely on their general skillset (due to Moonbow getting comparatively worse when you hit an enemy with debuffs from a Chill skill or a dagger or something like that)?

For general purpose and PvP, you want to time your Special so that it activates during every round of combat, or at least as often as possible. For me, Moonbow is the default Special for Player Phase units, even for Blade mages. Moonbow is more helpful than Glimmer against Def/Res tanks. The difference in most cases is not huge though.

For Abyssal, I use Celica with three Dancers/Singers, and in her case, I generally switch between Luna, Dragon Fang, Blazing Wind, Growing Wind, and Blazing Light. I generally use the Blazing and Growing Specials since it helps deal more damage to a group of enemies. In certain cases though, I am forced to use Luna or Dragon Fang to nuke a specific boss down since their Res is too high for Blazing and Growing Specials to be effective, or if they have Vantage.

5 hours ago, Sias said:

You both suggested giving Tiki's skills to an armored unit with built-in Distant Counter, but my only real option for that is the Black Knight, I suppose (since the others have DC in their A slot). If I want to give Bold Fighter to one of my characters with Armor March instead, I'm kind of wasting the Breath skill, and if I inherit Fierce Breath to one of the many many people that want a Breath skill, I'm probably wasting Bold Fighter. Oh well.

If a skill has to go to waste, it'd be better to waste Fierce Breath since it has substitutes in Sturdy Breath and Warding Breath whereas there are no substitutes for Bold Fighter.

If you're considering using the Black Knight, he wouldn't be a bad choice for the skills, but it might be better to wait for a better recipient, like Grima. Either way, there isn't any harm in just holding onto a unit if you aren't running out of barracks space.

5 hours ago, Sias said:

New Year Hrid is too slow to effectively use on player phase, so Bond skills are fine as long as you aren't using him in Aether Raids since fliers have a tendency to clump anyways.

5 hours ago, Sias said:

Also, regarding Lon'qu and Raven: Do you think it's better to double up on Life and Death for them or should I rather utilize Fury to have an easier time reaching Desperation range/surviving a single hit?

If you're planning on merging Lon'qu and Raven to +10 and getting their refines, they should have enough bulk to survive most things even with Life and Death doubled up. Lon'qu has 68 bulk without buffs under these conditions, and Raven has 67.

Do note that the merges are extremely important since they contribute a full 8 points of that bulk. If you aren't planning on getting merges anytime soon, it's probably better to run Fury instead as long as you know you can spare the fodder.

Alternatively, if you somehow have a spare Fjorm (or Saber), Raven can run Life and Death + Shield Pulse + Pavise as an alternative build.

5 hours ago, Sias said:

Besides that, I gave Sonya her legendary refine some while ago and was wondering about a good B slot skill for her that's not Special Spiral. Something like a chill or sabotage skill maybe? Cause she doesn't really seem fast enough for Desperation or bulky enough for Quick Riposte, and most Breaker skills aren't really all that good anymore anyways...

Desperation is still an option (and is the cheapest option) because you can always use the Swift Sparrow or Darting Blow Sacred Seals to patch up her Spd.

5 hours ago, Sias said:

There are a lot of different ways to do this, and it mostly depends on what you're looking for.

The majority of units want to run a Special that will activate in every round of combat (assuming the enemy isn't already dead before it has a chance to activate). The cooldown of the Special you want to run depends on the skills on your build. Skills that reduce the base cooldown, increase your charge rate, charge your Special outside of combat, or give you or your opponent more attacks will allow you to use Special skills with higher cooldowns, and skills that increase the base cooldown or prevent you or your opponent from attacking (this includes Desperation) will force you to use Special skills with lower cooldowns.

Some builds, usually those on units with very high Atk stats, don't require a Special that activates in every round of combat. Additionally, some builds (namely those with weapons that slow your Special) simply cannot run a Special that activates in every round of combat. In these cases, you have a bit more freedom as to what to pick. Bulkier units might like the healing that Aether provides in exchange for having a very long cooldown while more aggressive attackers might prefer burst damage from a skill like Bonfire or Glacies, though it's still worth making sure the Special is charged to land on the right attack (usually the first attack of the second round of combat).

And then there are specialty builds that use specific Special skills designed for a very specific use, like Galeforce builds and Infantry Pulse builds, to name a few.

Finally, all exclusive Special skills currently in existence except Radiant Aether are sufficiently stronger than inheritable options that it's worth building the unit around their Special skill instead of picking a Special skill based on their build. Radiant Aether is the exception because of its long cooldown and situational effect.

Once you've determined what cooldown your build needs, here's how you determine which skill to use:

2 cooldown: Ruptured Sky is universally the best 2-cooldown Special in the game. Obviously, it's expensive, so your options are likely restricted to Moonbow and Glimmer. Moonbow is typically the better of the two since it scales better the less damage you do, but Glimmer is viable on units with Litrblade-like weapons.

3 cooldown: If the unit has high Def or Res, run Bonfire or Iceberg, whichever one corresponds to the stat. If the unit has neither, run Luna since it almost always scales better than Draconic Aura. Blue Flame's positional restriction makes it less useful for player-phase units, though it's still an option for teleporting units (but it's also expensive).

4 cooldown: If the unit has high Def or Res, run Ignis or Glacies, whichever one corresponds to the stat. If the unit has neither, it's usually better to try to rework the build to run a 3-cooldown skill instead by replacing a skill that enables a higher cooldown with a skill that just gives you more straight Atk.

AoE Specials are usually only worth using if you can charge it up for every round of combat, including the first round. Blazing Wind is typically preferred for most cases. For Aether Raids defense, you're more likely to hit additional targets with Blazing Light or Blazing Thunder instead depending on the layout of your map.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Looking at Lif's kit, seems like all he needs is a good B-skill, which reminded me of a spare Bow Alm I've gotten not too long ago. Would Null Follow-up be a good fit for Lif?

1 hour ago, Karimlan said:

Looking at Lif's kit, seems like all he needs is a good B-skill, which reminded me of a spare Bow Alm I've gotten not too long ago. Would Null Follow-up be a good fit for Lif?

Líf's B skill is fine. He is not fast enough to take advantage of Null Follow-Up in my opinion.

I’m trying to figure out what seal to put on my +atk -hp Lif. Would a chill seal be better or atk smoke? Also does anyone have any suggestions for team members he would do well with?

37 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I’m trying to figure out what seal to put on my +atk -hp Lif. Would a chill seal be better or atk smoke? Also does anyone have any suggestions for team members he would do well with?

Legendary Celica, if you have her, I'd like to think

44 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

For super tanking on offense, I think BH!Lucina is probably his best partner, and if you use her, you can swap his B skill for Lulls to cancel out bonuses and has no HP requirement. You might also want to consider Kaden since Kaden is green and he can take on the dangerous blue stuff.

For just Player Phase teams in general, I would just use him as a support unit like Darkness Within Berkut to get my Player Phase units into Desperation range.

Due to the way his Weapon works, I do not think he works too well in a regular Enemy Phase team though.

For defense team, I recommend running a bunch of Desperation nukes, ideally ones with 40 HP or less if possible for Wings of Mercy shenanigans. If you still want to do Wings of Mercy shenanigans with higher HP nukes, just run Slaying Edge, A slot Breath, Shield Pulse, TIme's Pulse, Quickened Pulse, or some combination of those skills with Miracle, so players will probably have to kill Líf in two rounds of combat, which would cause 40 HP in damage to the defense team around him.

For the Sacred Seal, it depends on what you use him for. Swift Stance is nice though to patch up his Spd and Res if you are using him as a tank.

5 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

Legendary Celica, if you have her, I'd like to think

And Brazen Atk/Spd 10 Celica too. Running both would be nice to as most super tanks seem to run either blue or green super tanks.

Edited by XRay