"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

12 minutes ago, ~Maverick~ said:

Inheritance question here: 

I have a +Spd / -Def Marth which has served me quite well. I decided to try Renewal on him, and I'm wondering what special skill would be best for him between Escutcheon and Moonbow. It seems like Moonbow is one of the best special skills to give units, but I know that Escutcheon is also a fast-acting skill.

Any suggestions? 

Choose Moonbow, not gonna give an explanation cause you sound like you know it's potential (I can give one if you want). Escutcheon helps his -def but you already have renewal to mitigate the damages. 

Edited by Arcanite

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

It was me, was it not?

Yeah. Thanks.

Going to figure which bias I have left ( I know some are still a speculation -- like Glen .. might holds a Sword because he holds a sword against Valter and we need Sword wyvern)

Figured I can create list myself but ... I dont want to copy paste every character. From 1 to 14.

@~Maverick~I'd personally go for Moonbow over Escutcheon. If you're going for a durable  Marth, I think Renewal should be enough. That +SPD is going to serve Marth well as an aggressive unit as long as his atk is decent as well. Also make sure to have some teammates with some supportive skills like Spur Def or Breath of Life around him. Just a side thing, I think your Marth would be good with Fury on him if he doesn't already have that. If he's 5* he also has Falchion which gives him advantage over dragons and a little extra HP restoration. I was going to say put Aether on him but I realize you want a special with lower cooldown so never mind. Overall though it sounds like you have a solid unit going, I hope my advice helps at least a little bit. 

This is a random side note but I saw this funny setup on Effie earlier in Arena. So this Jaffar charges me and I throw my 5* Jeorge at him like boy you're so done. Then Effie teleports across the map and instakills Jeorge I'm like wtf since when does Effie have Wings of Mercy it was smart but I wasn't expecting that lmao

Edited by MidnightFE

How exactly does arena scoring work? I saw a post somewhere else and this is what it read:

"Your arena score is whatever your current highest chain is. So, if you fight a 7 battle chain and get 3000 points, you have to get a chain higher than 3000 to update your score."

Is this true? I originally thought that incomplete chains still counted toward your overall score, but I was wondering why my score never went up.

7 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Does any1 know if we have any character as a bow knight/archer cavalier this time around? Cuz for the life of me I can't recall any encounters with one.

Nope. All bow users are currently infantry, if that's what you're asking!

So, I just yolorolled a few orbs, and pulled a Lucina. Regular Lucina, a dupe of her to be exact. My current Lucina is +Spd/-Atk, whereas my new one is +Atk/-Res. As tempting as a whopping +6 atk is, I wonder if it's worth training this new Lucina and merging my old one into her once inherited skill merging is a thing. My current Lucina still does very well with Defiant Speed + Desperation 3, and doesn't lack for damage most of the time. Does anyone know how big the difference from 36 to 39 base speed is in practice, or has general advice on which Lucina is best to stick with?

8 minutes ago, Ether said:

So, I just yolorolled a few orbs, and pulled a Lucina. Regular Lucina, a dupe of her to be exact. My current Lucina is +Spd/-Atk, whereas my new one is +Atk/-Res. As tempting as a whopping +6 atk is, I wonder if it's worth training this new Lucina and merging my old one into her once inherited skill merging is a thing. My current Lucina still does very well with Defiant Speed + Desperation 3, and doesn't lack for damage most of the time. Does anyone know how big the difference from 36 to 39 base speed is in practice, or has general advice on which Lucina is best to stick with?

An update is coming where you can merge skills onto units that you have 2 of. Example: +HP Lyn with Brash assault, when merged with +Spd Lyn with nothing will get the merged Lyn's brash. You know this already, but I'm just doing a reiteration.

That being said, since you're in early stages, and this Lucina isn't a 4 star that has bottom tons of SP get, I say make a team with 2 Lucinas. One with +Atk and one with +Spd. It even sounds filthy.

48 minutes ago, Tragonight said:

How exactly does arena scoring work? I saw a post somewhere else and this is what it read:

"Your arena score is whatever your current highest chain is. So, if you fight a 7 battle chain and get 3000 points, you have to get a chain higher than 3000 to update your score."

Is this true? I originally thought that incomplete chains still counted toward your overall score, but I was wondering why my score never went up.

When your chain ends (be it after 7 wins or after a loss), your score in that chain is compared to your current high score. If it's higher, it gets updated. If not, it stays.

6 hours ago, Kaden said:

@eclipse, regarding Shanna, fair enough. -HP/+Atk has been able to clear out enemies better than average Shanna, but average Shanna is more stable when I used her.

Re: Oboro. And I forgot Seal Def is a B-slot. Yeah, that's a good skill. The only issue is that I've run into red sword units who were fast enough to double her and despite her high defense, she ends up taking considerably more damage than she deals. Arena and training stratums I've brought her into have had stuff where I'm like, "Yeah, she should be fine", but then it shows the outcome and she's either dead or will be dead on the next turn while being used as a wall or after getting ganged up on the enemy phase. Sure, let's put her there as a wall. Instantly dies to a red sword unit. All I can think is: "Are you serious?" It might be because she's a 3*, but even then, other 3* units who were still stat screwed still did better than her at times. I'll figure out something for this smug girl. Should probably just give her second, +Res/-Def Jagen's Silver Lance... Average Jagen did fine for me; Jagen would rather have +Atk, +Def, or +Spd than having even more stupid res for lower def. Maybe Aegis since I have a spare 4* +Def/-Res Hinata -- I do not need more units with crappy res and average Hinata's been doing fine -- I could just dump his Fury 3 onto Oboro if I really, really wanted to. Pavise is probably not useful since she's that durable. Then again, the sword units who did a crapton of damage on her even with her defense.

And because I'm distraught over having no archers other than Virion. How are Gordin, Niles, and Rebecca? I've used a Jeorge before on my first file and he's really good and the previous Voting Gauntlet gave me a chance to use Klein, Setsuna, and Takumi. Klein's a strong player phase unit -- that damage --, Setsuna's goofy, and Takumi, well, it's Takumi.

I hope I get an archer in my next summons even though I want Camilla, Cordelia, and Hinoka and another at least neutral Cherche or neutral attack Cherche. I swear if it doesn't happen... It's going to be 16-20 total summons without one single godforsaken archer. I don't even have the luxury of choosing between 2 different archers.

If you really want Oboro to survive, get her to 4*.  The extra stats make a difference, since she's tanking.  She'll also want an offensive proc, since she has the stats to pull off Dragonic Aura and Bonfire (with Bonfire being preferable).

For archers:

- Gordin: Player phase nuke with the added bonus of being able to tank physical hits. During the Narcian battle, he choked a point and took zero damage from someone on Hard.  He needs a proc immediately (I prefer Dragonic Aura, but he can also work with Bonfire and Moonbow).  He also wants Death Blow in the A slot, for more damage when he attacks. If done right, his target will die on your phase.  Keep him away from mages, because a competent one will wipe him off of the map.

- Niles: His base Atk is awful.  His Defense is awful.  His Speed is better than average, and his saving grace is his Res.  Thanks to a Killer weapon, Iceberg, and half-decent Speed, his niche is to kill things via procs, without sacrificing his precious Atk to a Brave weapon.  His job is to kill mages, thanks to innately high Res and Warding Blow.  He works well enough with Fury/Desperation (though Life and Death is tempting, it shanks his Iceberg damage).  Dies to any melee Brave weapon/a competent Brave Bow user.

- Rebecca: Think Virion, who swapped his Def for Res.  She focuses on player-phase doubling due to Darting Blow.  Her Atk is a bit lower than Virion's (in other words, meh), and she really wants a proc (like Dragon Fang).  Since she has Darting Blow, she'll most likely double her opponent, which means she can get away with the 4-turn procs.  I think she'd be better served with a Killer Bow+.  Seal Atk is good if you aren't able to kill your opponent, but I find it less useful than Virion's Seal Spd, since my goal is to murder my target.  Ardent Sacrifice is okay, but I'm not sure why she came with it.  I think she's usable, but she requires heavy skill inheritance to do so.  Like Niles, dies to Brave weapon users/a competent Brave Bow user.  Unlike Niles, can also die to a pissed-off manakete.

Pulled two Caedas, one is +ATK/-HP and the other is +SPD/-RES, I'm leaning towards using the second one, seeing as she already has good speed, but I'm worried that her low attack is gonna be useless if I don't take the +ATK version... Any advice?

(right topic??)

3 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Pulled two Caedas, one is +ATK/-HP and the other is +SPD/-RES, I'm leaning towards using the second one, seeing as she already has good speed, but I'm worried that her low attack is gonna be useless if I don't take the +ATK version... Any advice?

(right topic??)

Yep, right topic!

Caeda's attack is awful, full stop.  She's tied for lowest base with Selena and Fir.  However, she has excellent Res, which means that she'll make good use of Iceberg as a proc.  Slap a Killing Edge on her, and she'll be the flying version of Fir.  She shines the most on a dedicated flier team, preferably with Hinoka for the Hone Fliers buff.  I'd go with +Atk, since the +Spd one is -Res, meaning that she'll get less mileage out of Iceberg.

Thank you!

I probably won't be trying for flier emblem ("fun emblem" according to Swype, lol :) ), F2P and I don't have the right units. I'm mainly leveling her to have her in case she's ever need for a GHB or something similar, so I probably will not use her on my main team, might not even skill inherit on her for a long time (if ever).

If we don't factor in SI, would +ATK stil be preferable due to her abysmal normal attack? (Sorry to keep asking, but I've read somewhere that SPD -in general- is the best boon?)

I'm raising my 3-star Michalis for potential team usage (my current team is actually rather lacking in physically defensive units), and right now, he's level 37. Right now, I'm struggling to push him past that to level 40. Is the extra SP at this stage particularly valuable?

23 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Thank you!

I probably won't be trying for flier emblem ("fun emblem" according to Swype, lol :) ), F2P and I don't have the right units. I'm mainly leveling her to have her in case she's ever need for a GHB or something similar, so I probably will not use her on my main team, might not even skill inherit on her for a long time (if ever).

If we don't factor in SI, would +ATK stil be preferable due to her abysmal normal attack? (Sorry to keep asking, but I've read somewhere that SPD -in general- is the best boon?)

If you want to use her in any capacity, and you get an awful Niles, she's the perfect candidate for Iceberg, just because of the sheer boost to her offense.

+Spd has two benefits:

- it keeps faster characters from doubling you
- it allows you to double slower characters

At base 37 Speed, Caeda isn't in danger of being doubled by anyone except for Lon'qu with Speed +3.  She already doubles everyone that's 32 Speed and below.  While being able to double the 33-35 range looks enticing, it's either made up of characters she has no business fighting (like Azura), units she shouldn't be in range of in the first place (Takumi), or units that aren't that common (Matthew).  The only units that I'd consider worth it are Maria and maybe Marth and Eirika.  There's also stuff like Fury-boosted units to consider, but they'll also be bulkier, and will hit harder in return.  In other words, she has diminishing returns with +Spd, due to her naturally high base.

With +Atk, she improves on her worst stat, and in her case, she will always welcome it, because she naturally OHKOs no one.  While Life and Death is really tempting (pushes her to 42 Speed and makes her Attack passable), she loses out on Iceberg damage.

THE OTHER EDIT:

9 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I'm raising my 3-star Michalis for potential team usage (my current team is actually rather lacking in physically defensive units), and right now, he's level 37. Right now, I'm struggling to push him past that to level 40. Is the extra SP at this stage particularly valuable?

Depends on how heavily you want to customize him.

Edited by eclipse
Oh, right, that's +3 Spd on boon

23 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Thank you!

Even without SI, I would argue for +Atk, as she doesn't benefit *that* much from additional speed (it lets her double neutral 33-35s, but that doesn't do any good if she can't deal damage in the first place), and it most definitely isn't worth reducing her ability to take special hits.

Edit: eclipse said it way better, ignore this

Edited by red-and-soulless

6 hours ago, Arcanite said:

Nope. All bow users are currently infantry, if that's what you're asking!

Well, I'll be damned, are there any notable character that is bow knights? All of the games I've played didn't have or implied to have any. It always seems that it's just a promotion option.

@Thany

Did you try FE Heroes wiki? They usually do have he quotes.

Edited by Zangetsu

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Well, I'll be damned, are there any notable character that is bow knights? All of the games I've played didn't have or implied to have any. It always seems that it's just a promotion option.

Astrid from Tellius and the nomads from Elibe (Sue, Shin, Dayan, Rath).

9 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Astrid from Tellius and the nomads from Elibe (Sue, Shin, Dayan, Rath).

Nobody ever remembers Jugdral! Genealogy's Midir, Lester, and Deimne, much more obscure Thracia 776's Selphina, and an absolutely obscure Robert.

Half of the Wolfguard (Wolf and Sedgar) are mounted archers too, as is New Mystery Beck.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Nobody ever remembers Jugdral! Genealogy's Midir, Lester, and Deimne, much more obscure Thracia 776's Selphina, and an absolutely obscure Robert.

Half of the Wolfguard (Wolf and Sedgar) are mounted archers too, as is New Mystery Beck.

Lester makes me think 'Axe Knight' because he looks too much like Lex, Deimne is a substitute I've almost never seen, I don't remember Thracia too well, and the Wolfguard are technically prepromotes. Midir, I'll give you.

Edited by phineas81707

25 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Lester makes me think 'Axe Knight' because he looks too much like Lex, Deimne is a substitute I've almost never seen, I don't remember Thracia too well, and the Wolfguard are technically prepromotes. Midir, I'll give you.

It doesn't matter that Lester looks like Lex. He is a bow knight of Jungby and fights like a bow knight of Jungby, shooting shit from horseback.

The Wolfguard aren't technically prepromotes in the original Shadow Dragon, because hunters didn't promote back in FE1. So they still count.

EDIT: noooo, Sakura's Forest is gone! :(

Edited by Vaximillian

Just now, Vaximillian said:

It doesn't matter that Lester looks like Lex. He is a bow knight of Jungby and fights like a bow knight of Jungby, shooting shit from horseback.

The Wolfguard aren't technically prepromotes in the original Shadow Dragon, because hunters didn't promote back in FE1. So they still count.

Appearances and association- I haven't had the capabilities to play FE4 personally, so I've been using systems that leave it... well, a little less than clear as to Lester's gameplay niche.

That makes some sense. I don't think they'd drop the horses for Heroes at any rate. This is one of those 'they fit the spirit, but not the letter'.

3 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Appearances and association- I haven't had the capabilities to play FE4 personally, so I've been using systems that leave it... well, a little less than clear as to Lester's gameplay niche.

That makes some sense. I don't think they'd drop the horses for Heroes at any rate. This is one of those 'they fit the spirit, but not the letter'.

I'm myself at a loss about Lester's appearance. He's Edain's son through and through, but she's blonde. His sister, Lana, is ginger. Genetics? Don't understand! His resemblance to Lex is uncanny indeed.

I'm definitely looking forward to playable bow cavaliers. Horse Emblem, anyone? I'd also love if they added physical anti-cavalry weapon line. Good old Longsword, Halberd/Poleaxe, and Horseslayer/Ridersbane have surely been missed.