"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Surtr being blue, however, makes him pretty good for Aether Raids, as his color gives him an advantage against Eliwood and Legendary Sigurd compared to Gustav, whereas there are fewer threatening melee green units (though Harmonic Catria can potentially be a problem for Surtr).

It Harmonic Catria a thing in AR-D? I don't think I've ever seen her there.

1 hour ago, kradeelav said:

So I got my last +10 merge on Legault (+ATK) on the free pull today (wahoo!). Being a favorite of FE7 and my favorite thief in the series after Volke, I'd like to turn him into a competitive AR-O utility guy. Bonus if he's useful against save balls.

What's the status of colorless daggers in AR-O (aka how do they tend to be used these days)? I remember Sothe and Leila being meta for a while.  Do I go for a pure nuke build or a Blazing Wind AOE for Legault?  (leaning towards the latter - I don't have an AOE character yet, so he'd be doubly useful for Abyssals.)

Sothe and Leila get a lot from their prfs. Legault doesn't have a prf yet, but he's the 3rd candidate among the Book 2 demotes with regular non-staff weapons (after Soleil and Shigure) so he could be getting one later this year. That would likely change things and give him a clearer role.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kradeelav said:

So I got my last +10 merge on Legault (+ATK) on the free pull today (wahoo!). Being a favorite of FE7 and my favorite thief in the series after Volke, I'd like to turn him into a competitive AR-O utility guy. Bonus if he's useful against save balls.

What's the status of colorless daggers in AR-O (aka how do they tend to be used these days)? I remember Sothe and Leila being meta for a while.  Do I go for a pure nuke build or a Blazing Wind AOE for Legault?  (leaning towards the latter - I don't have an AOE character yet, so he'd be doubly useful for Abyssals.)

Legault is likely to get a refine in the next couple months, so it might be worth waiting to see what he gets before putting too much investment into him.

However, I'd expect him to at least keep his default weapon's effect, and based on that, I'd recommend leaning towards a nuke build, using either his teammates or structures to provide him with debuffs. Due to Legault's low base Atk and his weapon's effect only giving him an Atk boost during combat, I wouldn't run AoE Specials on him.

If you want to use him against Save balls, you'll want to run something like Windsweep + Fatal Smoke + Poison Strike, though I personally wouldn't recommend it because there are units that are much better at the job.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

It Harmonic Catria a thing in AR-D? I don't think I've ever seen her there.

I usually see her about 2 or 3 times a week (and typically just surrender without bothering with the match unless I know I can handle taking Triangle Attacks from her teammates).

30 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I usually see her about 2 or 3 times a week (and typically just surrender without bothering with the match unless I know I can handle taking Triangle Attacks from her teammates).

Now that you mention it, she was in my match right after I posted that. I forgot to account for her Triangle Attacks, it turned out inconsequential though. Everything just bounced off Henriette and Dedue.

Wonder if that's happened other times and I just never noticed.

Legault is likely to get a refine in the next couple months, so it might be worth waiting to see what he gets before putting too much investment into him.

However, I'd expect him to at least keep his default weapon's effect, and based on that, I'd recommend leaning towards a nuke build, using either his teammates or structures to provide him with debuffs. Due to Legault's low base Atk and his weapon's effect only giving him an Atk boost during combat, I wouldn't run AoE Specials on him.

If you want to use him against Save balls, you'll want to run something like Windsweep + Fatal Smoke + Poison Strike, though I personally wouldn't recommend it because there are units that are much better at the job.

But Legaults base weapon is total garbage because almost noone uses visible buffs. They would either need to give him a strong secondary effect or he is dead on arrival.

They could also change his exclusiv weapon to work differently. Instead of counting visible buffs he would count in combat buffs from C slots, A skills, weapons etc. It would make him excellent and a counter to all the new units that have like +5 to all stats in combat in their weapon. So IS prolly wont do that

4 hours ago, Hilda said:

Instead of counting visible buffs he would count in combat buffs from C slots, A skills, weapons etc. It would make him excellent and a counter to all the new units that have like +5 to all stats in combat in their weapon. So IS prolly wont do that

That could get really weird, since its own effect is an in-combat buff. Especially if you had two Legaults fighting each other.

Thanks for the advice everyone, hadn't realized the refine was coming up. I'll probably fuck around with a low-investment AOE build just to get a feel for that play style (57 attack being not that bad) but will pause for the serious investment until the refine comes along.

Hey guys, so I just got my hands on a Lewyn I really don't need, is there any particular unit I should fodder special spiral to?

15 minutes ago, FlyingKitsune said:

Hey guys, so I just got my hands on a Lewyn I really don't need, is there any particular unit I should fodder special spiral to?

Blazing nukes. They basically get permanent special uptime with SS. Some notable nukes...

• Ophelia has the easiest time getting her special ready on turn 1, thanks to Missiletainn (tome)'s effect.
  • Sothe is a 4* unit who has a very desirable refine that enables a Blazing nuke build without actually using a Slaying weapon.
  • Merric, Sonya, and Navarre all have weapons that grant a slightly stronger Quickened Pulse effect, enabling a Blazing special to be ready on turn 1 with assistance from the actual QP seal. Navarre's Scarlet Sword, however, has the slaying effect to enable better special uptime. Merric is a 4* unit, Sonya is in the 4* Special pool, and Navarre is a Grail unit.

Otherwise, any unit who has a Slaying weapon or the slaying effect in their weapon (see Ishtar, Leon, Lon'qu, Raven, etc) can run an effective Blazing nuke build, but will need some help to get their special charged up.

Edited by Xenomata

2 hours ago, kradeelav said:

Thanks for the advice everyone, hadn't realized the refine was coming up. I'll probably fuck around with a low-investment AOE build just to get a feel for that play style (57 attack being not that bad) but will pause for the serious investment until the refine comes along.

Special Spiral isn't exactly low-investment, though, so it isn't exactly easy to just play around with it, and neither is Time's Pulse if you don't have enough Infantry Pulse units lying around.

As for his Atk, 57 Atk is rather lackluster for an AoE Special build, especially considering that most units have higher Def than Res. The standard-bearer for comparison is still Ophelia, who reaches 64 Atk at +10 with no Dragonflowers and with Life and Death 3 instead of Life and Death 4, 69 Atk when fully maxed out with Hardy Bearing, and 74 Atk when maxed out with double Life and Death.

1 hour ago, FlyingKitsune said:

Ophelia should generally be the highest priority unit for Special Spiral due to the fact that she has the ability to pre-charge an AoE Special without the need for additional skills on herself or her teammates (she just needs teammates with specific weapon types).

After that, any unit with the Slaying effect and Quickened Pulse [2] on their weapon (Sonya, Merric with Dark Excalibur, and Navarre) can pre-charge an AoE Special without the need for Infantry Pulse (by either using Quickened Pulse in the Sacred Seal slot or Time's Pulse in the C slot). However, it's worth noting that Merric and Navarre have rather low Atk stats and aren't all that well suited for the role.

And after that, any unit with the Slaying effect can run Special Spiral with an AoE Special, but requires at least one Infantry Pulse (or Ostia's Pulse) in order to pre-charge their Special (you need three stacks of Infantry Pulse if you have neither Quickened Pulse nor Time's Pulse on the unit).

Alternatively, you can run Special Spiral with any unit that has Vantage on their weapon. However, as there are currently no weapons with both the Slaying effect and Vantage, you're stuck using the unreliable Glimmer if you don't have Ruptured Sky available.

5 hours ago, kradeelav said:

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Special Spiral isn't exactly low-investment, though, so it isn't exactly easy to just play around with it, and neither is Time's Pulse if you don't have enough Infantry Pulse units lying around.

If budget is a concern, Desperation and double Savage Blow is pretty cheap and it mimics the concept of Blazing nukes close enough. Blazing nukes are essentially just "Desperation" nukes, it is just that their first hit is much stronger and it happens outside of combat. Their "Desperation" can also "bypass" Hardy Bearing, and you can upgrade it with your own Hardy Bearing so that it even works againt Counter-Vantage units.

10 hours ago, Hilda said:

But Legaults base weapon is total garbage because almost noone uses visible buffs. They would either need to give him a strong secondary effect or he is dead on arrival.

My Aether Raids defense teams actually use visible buffs, and I have seen defense teams using visible buffs a bit more liberally nowadays. Not every team uses visible buffs, and they are still a minority, but they are out there and a bit more common than before. Aversa is not all that common anymore, so I figure I might as well use visible buffs until she becomes common again.

4 hours ago, FlyingKitsune said:

I third Ophelia if you have her. Other Blazing nukes are better once Blazing gets going, but if you are new to using Blazing nukes and/or player phase units in general, I recommend going with Ophelia since she is easier to use. That being said, if you are used to setting up player phase units for Desperation and Wings of Mercy already, setting up Blazing nukes is not all that different, so feel free to pick whoever you want that has decent Atk and an exclusive Slaying Weapon.

For Blazing nukes in general, I recommend sticking with ranged units as they are easier to use and safer compared to melee units.

Here is a list of ranged units that can run Blazing builds; some of them already come with Special Spiral:

Spoiler

Slaying with noteworthy effects:
Alfonse: Askran Duo — Got Special Spiral. Can charge his and his allies' Specials with Duo skill, but only by 2, so he cannot fully charge his own Special on turn 1 unless he gets more help.
Asbel — Nullify enemy buffs during combat.
Byleth: The Fódlan Star — Got Null Follow-Up; this will be more relevant once Windsweep/Watersweep or Desperation is released as a Sacred Seal for protection.
Flora — Got guaranteed follow-up; this will be more relevant once Desperation is released as a Sacred Seal for protection.
Ishtar — See Byleth: The Fódlan Star above.
Leon — Got Impact for protection.
Lilina: Firelight Leader — She is cavalry, so she cannot use Special Spiral, but she does not need it either, so she has an open B slot for Windsweep/Watersweep, Desperation, Lull Spd/Res, or SR Far Trace.
Merric: Changing Winds — See Byleth: The Fódlan Star above.
Ophelia — Can get her Special ready on Turn 1 with the right allies.
Shamir — Got Firesweep for protection.
Shinon — Got Close Counter in case you need to use him as an emergency tank.
Ullr — Got Null Special, so Guard does not slow her down.

Slaying:
Igrene — Got Special Spiral.
Innes: Frelian Moonlight
Lysithea
Jorge

Other:
Tharja — She is a Blade mage. While her Blazing trigger does not hit as hard, she hits really hard in combat as a Blade mage. She will also need Heavy Blade on A or Sacred Seal.
Odin — See Tharja above.
Nino — See Tharja above.
Sothe — Debuffs enemies and Pulses his allies.

Slaying with low Atk; I do not think they make good Blazing nukes, but I think I should mention them out of completeness since they got exclusive Slaying Weapons:
Merric
Niles — Got Flashing Blade, so Guard does not slow him down if he has higher Spd.
Nina — Got +7 true damage, but only if foe's Def is higher than Res by 5 or more.
Rebecca

Edited by XRay

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

After that, any unit with the Slaying effect and Quickened Pulse [2] on their weapon (Sonya, Merric with Dark Excalibur, and Navarre) can pre-charge an AoE Special without the need for Infantry Pulse (by either using Quickened Pulse in the Sacred Seal slot or Time's Pulse in the C slot). However, it's worth noting that Merric and Navarre have rather low Atk stats and aren't all that well suited for the role.

Dark Excalibur doesn't have a Slaying effect, just Wo Dao and QP2. Regular Excalibur is the one with Slaying.

Besides the Initiate/Squad Ace series, the only Sacred Seals I have left to upgrade are Armored Blow, Warding Blow, all the Boosts, and all the Spurs.

I cannot think of a reason to use any of the defensive Blows when Sturdy Blow and Mirror Strike exist. Do people use them at all?

Similarly for Boosts, they just plain suck, and I cannot even think of a niche application to use them in.

As for the Spurs, I am considering upgrading the double stat Spurs now since Flayn can use them to support Save tanks. However, I cannot really think of a reason to use the single stat Spurs when Drives and double stat Spurs exist.

Are there any niche applications I have not thought of for the Blows, Boosts, and single stat Spurs?

Edited by XRay

28 minutes ago, XRay said:

Besides the Initiate/Squad Ace series, the only Sacred Seals I have left to upgrade are Armored Blow, Warding Blow, all the Boosts, and all the Spurs.

I cannot think of a reason to use any of the defensive Blows when Sturdy Blow and Mirror Strike exist. Do people use them at all?

Similarly for Boosts, they just plain suck, and I cannot even think of a niche application to use them in.

As for the Spurs, I am considering upgrading the double stat Spurs now since Flayn can use them to support Save tanks. However, I cannot really think of a reason to use the single stat Spurs when Drives and double stat Spurs exist.

Are there any niche applications I have not thought of for the Blows, Boosts, and single stat Spurs?

I usually use Spurs in Rokkr Sieges (especially Spur Atk), and I've occasionally used them in Resonant Battles when they turn out to be a convenient way to hit certain stat thresholds.

I do not think the Boost and defensive Blow seals have any use, especially with the Solo seals being available.

21 minutes ago, Othin said:

I usually use Spurs in Rokkr Sieges (especially Spur Atk), and I've occasionally used them in Resonant Battles when they turn out to be a convenient way to hit certain stat thresholds.

But would not Drive Atk be better since it is more flexible in terms of positioning? And there is also Spur Atk/Spd too.

Edited by XRay

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

But would not Drive Atk be better since it is more flexible in terms of positioning? And there is also Spur Atk/Spd too.

Drive Atk is useful if you think you might need the Atk boost from 2 spaces away. In Rokkr and Resonant Battles, that's not necessarily a concern, and the extra point of Atk or extra 3 points in Def or Res can make or break a strategy.

51 minutes ago, XRay said:

I use Armored Blow and Warding Blow pretty often in Rokkr Seiges. You only get one Sturdy Blow and Mirror Strike Sacred Seal, so the other unit usually gets Armored Blow or Warding Blow against opponents with high enough Atk to be worth running more bulk. In general, the Brave + Galeforce strategy has no trouble dealing enough damage to win within the turn limit, so the extra bulk is more valuable so that I don't need to rely on healing as often.

Boost skills are junk. There is only one niche use for them, and that's in PvE maps where (1) you need the stat boost on both phases and (2) you can't rely on the positioning conditions of Solo and Bond skills and (3) the enemies don't have inflated HP stats. Which is basically never.

Single-stat Spur skills can have some use in Resonant Battles (and other PvE maps) if you end up in a situation where you happen to need exactly 1 more point in a stat than a Drive or dual Spur provides.

Hm... I guess my plan for now will be to upgrade my double stat Spurs first, then work on Blows, then single stat Spurs, and finally Boosts.

4 hours ago, Othin said:

Drive Atk is useful if you think you might need the Atk boost from 2 spaces away. In Rokkr and Resonant Battles, that's not necessarily a concern, and the extra point of Atk or extra 3 points in Def or Res can make or break a strategy.

I guess I can see myself using double stat Spurs in Røkkr Sieges on occasion, but why use single stat Spurs though?

As for Resonant Battles, I usually just player phase everything, so I find using bonus buffs easier since the nukes can carry it with them.

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I use Armored Blow and Warding Blow pretty often in Rokkr Seiges. You only get one Sturdy Blow and Mirror Strike Sacred Seal, so the other unit usually gets Armored Blow or Warding Blow against opponents with high enough Atk to be worth running more bulk. In general, the Brave + Galeforce strategy has no trouble dealing enough damage to win within the turn limit, so the extra bulk is more valuable so that I don't need to rely on healing as often.

Would not Mystic Boost be more useful in that scenario in Røkkr Sieges? Mystic Boost heals 6 HP on both phases, whereas Blows prevents 6 damage but only on player phase.

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Single-stat Spur skills can have some use in Resonant Battles (and other PvE maps) if you end up in a situation where you happen to need exactly 1 more point in a stat than a Drive or dual Spur provides.

That seems super rare though. I do not think I have encountered an Abyssal map yet where that single point matters. I generally just throw my Save tank team at everything, and since the enemies have a good mix of physical and magical damage, Spur Def/Res seems better most of the time on Flayn than Spur Def or Spur Res alone. If my Save tank team cannot handle it, then I use my player phase team, but that teams does not need or use Spurs at all.

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

Would not Mystic Boost be more useful in that scenario in Røkkr Sieges? Mystic Boost heals 6 HP on both phases, whereas Blows prevents 6 damage but only on player phase.

You still only have 1 Mystic Boost Sacred Seal, but generally 2 Galeforce attackers. If both of your attackers need more than 4 Def or Res, then you're still going to end up using Armored/Warding Blow. There's also the occasional Quick Riposte, Vengeful Fighter, etc. unit where Mystic Boost falls behind even Sturdy Blow and Mirror Strike.

23 minutes ago, XRay said:

That seems super rare though. I do not think I have encountered an Abyssal map yet where that single point matters. I generally just throw my Save tank team at everything, and since the enemies have a good mix of physical and magical damage, Spur Def/Res seems better most of the time on Flayn than Spur Def or Spur Res alone. If my Save tank team cannot handle it, then I use my player phase team, but that teams does not need or use Spurs at all.

Flayn and Save tanks kind of suck in Resonant Battles, where single Spurs are most relevant (especially when using Wings of Mercy), hence why I mentioned Resonant Battles in the sentence itself and other PvE maps in parentheses.

So extra copy of Pirate Naesala. That means 3 different possible fodder options: Atk/Spd Solo 4, Spd/Def Near Trace, and Stall Ploy. I'm wondering, is Stall Ploy worth inheriting to someone, or should I just stick to the tried and true Near Trace?

Thing about Ploy is that I have trouble picturing any one of my units who could potentially get "great" use out of it. Even when accounting for Mystic bonuses, none of my AR-O units have that amazing HP, and I'm just not sure how comfortable I am trying to rely on a skill which only does something in one specific scenario (pretty much just LegSigurd)
Other issue is that I just don't like trying to utilize Ploys. I'm never quite able to get my units lined up with the enemy...

...course I could always just say screw SI and just merge into my new Naesala, but he's +Spd -Res, which in my eyes doesn't need a merge, so... yeah.

Edited by Xenomata

10 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

So extra copy of Pirate Naesala. That means 3 different possible fodder options: Atk/Spd Solo 4, Spd/Def Near Trace, and Stall Ploy. I'm wondering, is Stall Ploy worth inheriting to someone, or should I just stick to the tried and true Near Trace?

Thing about Ploy is that I have trouble picturing any one of my units who could potentially get "great" use out of it. Even when accounting for Mystic bonuses, none of my AR-O units have that amazing HP, and I'm just not sure how comfortable I am trying to rely on a skill which only does something in one specific scenario (pretty much just LegSigurd)
Other issue is that I just don't like trying to utilize Ploys. I'm never quite able to get my units lined up with the enemy...

...course I could always just say screw SI and just merge into my new Naesala, but he's +Spd -Res, which in my eyes doesn't need a merge, so... yeah.

I haven't tried Stall Ploy, but it doesn't sound impressive to me unless you really hate Sigurd. My inclination would be to look for someone who wants his A and B skills, and have them get Atk/Spd Solo 3 from another source.

10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

You still only have 1 Mystic Boost Sacred Seal, but generally 2 Galeforce attackers. If both of your attackers need more than 4 Def or Res, then you're still going to end up using Armored/Warding Blow. There's also the occasional Quick Riposte, Vengeful Fighter, etc. unit where Mystic Boost falls behind even Sturdy Blow and Mirror Strike.

I do not think I have encountered a situation where I needed Armored Blow or Warding Blow more than I need Sturdy Blow or Mirror Strike though, since Røkkrs with high Atk can be Chilled easily by one of my Herons.

59 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Flayn and Save tanks kind of suck in Resonant Battles, where single Spurs are most relevant (especially when using Wings of Mercy), hence why I mentioned Resonant Battles in the sentence itself and other PvE maps in parentheses.

I use player phase teams for Resonant Battles since there is a time limit.

3 hours ago, Xenomata said:

SD Near Trace is more relevant in my opinion, although it is also more readily available since Tana: Frelian Starlight and Ashe: Fabled Sea Knight has it.

While Stall Ploy is nice, the only unit that I can think of that has any strong synergies with is Fjorm: Bride of Rime and maybe Loki, since they are built around limiting movement. Outside of Aether Raids, Hilda: Deer's Two-Piece could be okay too since she can inflict Isolation. If you do not use any othem often enough though, then I would not bother.

If you cannot decide yet, there is always the option of turning him into a Manual and decide later down the line.

25 minutes ago, XRay said:

I do not think I have encountered a situation where I needed Armored Blow or Warding Blow more than I need Sturdy Blow or Mirror Strike though, since Røkkrs with high Atk can be Chilled easily by one of my Herons.

If you find that you don't need them, good for you. I've never had a problem with not having enough damage output in Rokkr Sieges, so I've always used Sturdy Blow and Mirror Strike primarily for their bulk and not their Atk. Any time I've gotten close to not hitting the score cap has been a result of having to skip attacks because a unit didn't have enough HP, not because I was lacking in damage output.

27 minutes ago, XRay said:

I use player phase teams for Resonant Battles since there is a time limit.

Yeah. You were strangely fixated on Flayn and Save tanks in not-Resonant-Battles despite the fact that I said single Spurs' primary use case was in Resonant Battles.

Yeah. You were strangely fixated on Flayn and Save tanks in not-Resonant-Battles despite the fact that I said single Spurs' primary use case was in Resonant Battles.

Save tanks are the only ones I can think of that can make use of Spurs since their supporters are protected from getting sniped.

12 minutes ago, XRay said:

Save tanks are the only ones I can think of that can make use of Spurs since their supporters are protected from getting sniped.

Getting sniped is only a concern if you're facing sufficiently strong enemies in a position to snipe you. When you're preparing for a specific PvE map, you don't necessarily have to think that generally.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

PvE maps with fixed spawns, like Resonant Battles, let you plan out your movement exactly, which lets you tailor your skills specifically for that map so that skills with more restrictive positioning requirements like Bonds and Spurs can be planned around. Resonant Battles in particular have enemies with inflated stats where a single additional point of Atk or Spd can be meaningful.