Some (probably weird) ideas for a next FE game

After playing Heroes for like 15 minutes I noticed a stat I've never ever seen in a FE part before: SP / FP

Actually I don't even exactly know what it does, but I have an idea already.

Anyways the introduction of SP gave me some ideas for the weapon and skill system:

1. Mastery skills should be used by command, if the SP bar is full. Each mastery skill needs a certain number of SP. You'll get SP after each battle (not level up as in Heroes). You get more SP, if you fight more efficiently (getting the kill, landing a crit or attacking without taking counter damage). Also you'll get SP after the end of a map. It works similar to bexp. from the Tellius series. If you fulfill certain sidequests a / o end a chapter in a low number of turns, you'll get some bonus SP and battle exp. for your units. Instead of bonus experience, the units who where brought to this chapter will get a bit battle experience directly.
  2. Each class learns a class skill after like ten levels like it already exists in FE13 + 14.
  3. Furthermore you can buy optional skills like vantage, adept, cancel... in a skill shop. A second new stat besides SP should be introduced (I just call it skill points). You gain a skill point in each level guaranteed. If you have enough of them, you can trade them into a skill in the skill shop. For example cancel requires ten skill points, so you can buy them after ten levels.
  4. You learn skills by using weapons a certain number of times. The weapon level system vanishes. Instead for each weapon you'll learn a stat buff a / o skill. Each weapon has a bar. If this bar is full by attacking enough times, you'll learn the stat boost a / o skill the weapon gave you. The number of required attacks to learn the weapon skills depends on the might of the weapon. The bar of weaker weapons like irons rise faster than of stronger weapons like silvers. That means each weapon is usable at the beginning. Few examples: By using an iron axe you'll learn +1 strength and +5% accuracy. By using a silver axe you'll learn renewal (+10% auto heal before each turn). These learned skills could also be part of the skill shop.
  5. Skill and luck stat vanish. The hitrate and evasion of the unit is displayed in the unit menu and level up instead. Critevasion is added and replaces the main affect of the former luck stat. Skills whose activation rate were based on skil and luck will be based on hitrate and evasion instead.

Edited by Eleanor Hume

I feel like getting rid of Hit and Avo would take away from what we have been taught, especially on a non spinoff FE game; it would also get rid of clutch moments and those "Wtf, I got hit by a 3%" moments that everyone loves to see. But of course, this is just a post probably for fun, so my opinion doesn't matter.

I think this is most certainly unique. I honestly agree with most of these ideas for a future game except two of them. I honestly think skill and luck should be kept in and used the way they have been. The second is the weapon usage with stats boosts and skill gaining. I think that shouldn't be in a FE game, as there would be no point to lower level weapons except for maybe 1-2 chapters. Additionally we do not need the first Fire Emblem happening again with Marth using Jaigens silver sword and one shotting enemies, that removes the challenge for the player I think.

Some of this is actually giving me Advance Wars

Oh right... the first paragraph is exactly sth. what exists in this game.

The second is the weapon usage with stats boosts and skill gaining. I think that shouldn't be in a FE game, as there would be no point to lower level weapons except for maybe 1-2 chapters. Additionally we do not need the first Fire Emblem happening again with Marth using Jaigens silver sword and one shotting enemies, that removes the challenge for the player I think.

I came up with this idea from an other franchise which features exactly this weapon system.

Of course you would be able to use S weapons in the beginning theoretically, but you could prevent it, if you made them available much later in the game. It's not very common to have access to silver weapons in FE early.

Thracia 776 had skill manuals that were consumed to teach a character a skill. This could lead to some ridiculously powerful combinations (for example, Nanna + Earth Sword + Wrath Manual = essentially undefeatable).

Now, it's a testament to Thracia 776's high difficulty that this kind of thing wasn't overpowered, and you'd need a pretty harsh and challenging game in order for it not to be, but I think it would be a very good thing to make a game with enough challenge that the player controlling which units get which skills could be an integral part of the game.

My 2 Japanese yens/Australian cents:

Unit-specific traits for Attack/Support Stancing: Some classes have specific traits in attack/support-stancing. For example:

• A supporting Armor Knight/General can fill the defense gauge slightly quicker.
  • An attack-stancing Pegasi, Nomad(trooper), or  has a (Speed/2)% chance of doubling.
  • A supporting/attack-stancing Lord gives additional boosts in the effects of support-stance/conversation bonuses (or even leadership stars) to the unit supported/attack-stanced.
  • An attack-stancing Berserker can deal 3/4 (or even full damage), compared to the usual half damage.

More cases of cutscene-based events affecting gameplay outcomes: For example, if there is an ambush at the start of a chapter, then some units will have to start with less than full HP or debuffed stats. The extent varies - if a unit has low luck (or even speed/defense), then they may have to start with some temporary, yet significant debuffs (say, -4 across the board) or 1/2HP-1/4 of their max HP or even 1HP, while those with higher luck/speed/defense can start the chapter with 3/4 or even full HP. If there is a rescue/rendevous from allies, then all units have a temporary boost of hit/crit/skill activation rates reflecting their boosted morale. If the army becomes depressed after some tragedy (for example, Chapter 11 in Awakening, or Chapter 4 in Binding Blade), then the opposite can occur to reflect their dented morale. Of course, to what extent IS should do this without making the game either broken or unbeatable, I don't know.

Here's what I would like to see in terms of classes and skills. First off we get rid of grinding in multiple classes, because we only do this so that we can acquire something like astra for example, or to get better stats. This is how classes would work: you stay in your class line there is no changing from mercenary to cavalier. Instead there would be both branch promotions and 3rd tier promotions. So you start off as a mercenary, and you can promote to either hero or bow knight. Then you can promote again to either your parallel branch promotion or your 3rd tier which is vanguard. If you promote to your parallel promotion you can still achieve 3rd tier, if however you go 3rd tier first you miss out on the parallel class as it is tier 2 and there is now classing down.

Now for the skills there will four main types Defensive, Damage Multiplying, a Buff and Healing. Defensive is skills like Nihil, Great Shield, Aegis ect. Damage Multiplying is for Sol (Radiant Dawn version, as this is the true version of this epic skill) Luna, Impale, Collosus, ect. Healing covers Renewal, Imbue and others of this nature, buffs is for Wrath, Gamble and Resolve. Every class gets a skill from these catagories. The remaining skills like maybe Resolve, Provoke, Corrosion, Pass, Paragon I am not sure what to do with just yet, these are all Useful Miscellanious Skills that anybody can equip. These can be bought at a shop and then assigned to anybody, the area affect skills like Savage Blow from Fates will be an automatic additional affect to a unit's damage skill, stat reductions are added to a unit's defensive skill..

Beast units work the same way I'm going to call them Laguz they learn the same types of skills but we have an additional category, this final skill would be Formshift learned after reaching oh.... let's say level 40 for example they instantly learn this skill allowing them to stay shifted indefinitely. Their defensive skill is called Beast Hide working similar to Great Shield, their health renewal is Wild Blood allowing them to gain let's say 30-50% of their health per turn, they're buff will be called Wild Fury and will increase they're speed, strength and both defense and resistance simultaneously and their damage multiplying skill will be called Roar, Savage, Tear or Ire depending on the type of Laguz here. (I forgot what the Cat Laguz skill is called.) I hope you enjoy my thoughts on the subject, I know I enjoyed several people's ideas that were posted here you all have some great ideas.

Thracia 776 had skill manuals that were consumed to teach a character a skill. This could lead to some ridiculously powerful combinations (for example, Nanna + Earth Sword + Wrath Manual = essentially undefeatable).

Yeah, that's what I somewhat mentioned.

Each class has like two class skills and all the other skills can be set manual to make some great skill combos. However I find that you can swap your skills among units like you can in FE10, or replacing them by other skills if you want to change the skill setup. All in all it should be still flexible.

My 2 Japanese yens/Australian cents:

Unit-specific traits for Attack/Support Stancing: Some classes have specific traits in attack/support-stancing. For example:

• A supporting Armor Knight/General can fill the defense gauge slightly quicker.
  • An attack-stancing Pegasi, Nomad(trooper), or  has a (Speed/2)% chance of doubling.
  • A supporting/attack-stancing Lord gives additional boosts in the effects of support-stance/conversation bonuses (or even leadership stars) to the unit supported/attack-stanced.
  • An attack-stancing Berserker can deal 3/4 (or even full damage), compared to the usual half damage.

More cases of cutscene-based events affecting gameplay outcomes: For example, if there is an ambush at the start of a chapter, then some units will have to start If the army becomes depressed after some tragedy (for example, Chapter 11 in Awakening, or Chapter 4 in Binding Blade), then the opposite can occur to reflect their dented morale. Of course, to what extent IS should do this without making the game either broken or unbeatable, I don't know.

So these are improved support suggestions from FE13 + 14?

Also I like the idea of debuffed stats (aside of HP) for an unit who had to handle a tragedy.

Beast units work the same way I'm going to call them Laguz they learn the same types of skills but we have an additional category, this final skill would be Formshift learned after reaching oh.... let's say level 40 for example they instantly learn this skill allowing them to stay shifted indefinitely. Their defensive skill is called Beast Hide working similar to Great Shield, their health renewal is Wild Blood allowing them to gain let's say 30-50% of their health per turn, they're buff will be called Wild Fury and will increase they're speed, strength and both defense and resistance simultaneously and their damage multiplying skill will be called Roar, Savage, Tear or Ire depending on the type of Laguz here. (I forgot what the Cat Laguz skill is called.) I hope you enjoy my thoughts on the subject, I know I enjoyed several people's ideas that were posted here you all have some great ideas.

If laguz (or sth. like that) return, then they should be buffed. Letting learning them formshift is sth. but it takes forever till they reach level 40.

There's still more to do to improve them.

• Higher exp. gain for transformed laguz. If they transform, they'll become automatically ten levels higher (and not 20 as in FE10).
  • Getting rid of weapon strikes. Each laguz improves its strike automatically after reaching a certain level.
  • Dodging gives / costs 50% less of the gauge than (counter-)attacking.

More ideas:

• sand stave: Decreases the skill of the opponent to zero for five turns.
  • bann stave: Opponent close to you can be banned to place farer away from you (doesn't work on bosses).
  • flame stave: Opponent suffers on burning for five turns. It loses ten HP at the beginning of each turn.

On 2/3/2017 at 9:10 PM, SnaggyDragon said:

I feel like getting rid of Hit and Avo would take away from what we have been taught, especially on a non spinoff FE game; it would also get rid of clutch moments and those "Wtf, I got hit by a 3%" moments that everyone loves to see. But of course, this is just a post probably for fun, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Agreed with this. I know the RNG has come under fire recently, especially because Heroes did away with it. But I think it's an integral part of FE, and that FE would lose something important without it.

I still remember my first experience on RD Hard Mode (*coughcough*back when I thought it was "Normal" mode, dammit localizers >.>*cough*)  when my Edward got crit by one of the BANDITS at the beginning of the game and died immediately. I didn't even now they early-game bandits could crit! I just couldn't stop laughing.

Yup, I know the RNG has caused much heart/headache in the past, but it's also given us some amazing moments. 1% crit kill on a 35% chance to hit? Yes, please. :lol: