Least Favourite Character Redesign

I'm not sure where the whole "Roy and Lilina are 10" thing is coming from since aren't they 10 in the Blazing Blade epilogue? If so, compare those appearances to their Binding Blade appearances and then Heroes appearances.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

I'm not sure where the whole "Roy and Lilina are 10" thing is coming from since aren't they 10 in the Blazing Blade epilogue? If so, compare those appearances to their Binding Blade appearances and then Heroes appearances.

I thought they were like 5

15 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

They were referring to their in-game Heroes art, which may look too kid-ish to non-Asian's lens.

I mean there's also Raigh who was supposed to be what? 12?

Edited by pianime94

1 hour ago, pianime94 said:

They were referring to their in-game Heroes art, which may look too kid-ish to non-Asian's lens.

I mean there's also Raigh who was supposed to be what? 12?

At the end of the day, it was the SAME artist that drew both Roy and Lilina. Maybe it's just the artist's style...

---

I don't like Setsuna's eyes either....

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Lyn.  To me, at least, the slit in her outfit looks a couple inches higher than it was in FE7, which makes her attacking pose (and especially that weird, bent-double lunge/dodge) look rather disturbing.

Least favorite: Lachesis. She looks way too young and 'moe'. I understand turning Est into that, but Lachesis should look more dignified than that. Maybe if they took out some of the baby fat in face...

Either that or Jakob.

Eliwood and Rebecca are pretty creepy. I also feel weird about Florina.

Gunter, Ogma, and Jagen are the worst for me, though. Especially Ogma, dear lord.

Matthew deserves a mention as well. His face is just at an odd angle, though I like the angle of his injured portrait.

But the portraits I did like a lot is Chrom. But then again, I like thin, skinny men. xD; I'd have married him if he looked that skinny in his actual game.

Edited by Faye

On Wednesday, April 05, 2017 at 10:55 AM, BestFriendJ0 said:

I'm glad this came around, now I'm going to rant.

1) It HURTS to look at Rebecca, I just can't do it.

2) Lilina, Roy, and Gunter have some pretty creepy looking eyes. Lilina and Roy have a thick black ring around their irises, making them looks fairly demonic. Gunter's eyes are actually fine until he has the attack portrait, in which case his pupils and irises disappear and he is left with just eye whites.

Well, I mean, look who breast fed him. Maybe something passed down in the process.

14 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

14 hours ago, Thor Odinson said:

I thought they were like 5

The entire inbetween of FE7>FE6 is wonky. Supposedly FE6 is 20 years after FE7, but Roy and Lilina are 15 in FE6 and five at the end of FE7. Maybe they mean 20 years from the end of FE7's main story, that still leaves five missing years.

7 minutes ago, Suichimo said:

The entire inbetween of FE7>FE6 is wonky. Supposedly FE6 is 20 years after FE7, but Roy and Lilina are 15 in FE6 and five at the end of FE7. Maybe they mean 20 years from the end of FE7's main story, that still leaves five missing years.

The ending scene in the epilogue occurs 10 years after Final Chapter. Roy and Lilina were born 5 years after Final Chapter. FE6 starts 20 years after Final Chapter.

22 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The ending scene in the epilogue occurs 10 years after Final Chapter. Roy and Lilina were born 5 years after Final Chapter. FE6 starts 20 years after Final Chapter.

Ok, I thought it was only 5 years based on the ages. That fixes that, then.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I could have sworn that scene was 15 years after the end of FE7.

oCoJ4pk.png

7 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I could have sworn that scene was 15 years after the end of FE7.

oCoJ4pk.png

Yeah, my memory sucks. (It's been 10 years since the last time I played FE7.)

In which case, Roy and Lilina are 10 in that scene.

Eliwood and Rebecca really got shafted in the eye department, I mean, holy crap... But the rest of Rebecca's face is pretty busted too--I really hate how shiny her cheeks are, and how big and shiny her lips are. The overall coloring doesn't look good, especially in her hair. She perhaps takes the "least favorite redesign" award for me in terms of artistic direction.

I think the art for F-Corrin is pretty bad, with bad anatomy, too sharp lines and pointy curves (chin, knees, elbows), and her hair looks like streams of paper or ribbons. Everything looks flat, in a bad way. She'd be a contender, although the art isn't as offensive to the eye as Rebecca's.

As has been mentioned, both Roy and Lilina look way too young. I have Roy, and he looks like he was pulled straight from a shonen where the protagonist is, like, 10.

Nobody has mentioned this yet, but Nino is an even worse offender in that department, she looks like she's 7-8. In previous iterations of her art, she actually looked about 14. But they loli-ified her. Grr!! So I give the "worst redesign" award to Nino. I absolutely hate the kid-ification, especially since I really like Nino. The artwork is good, and it's all very cute, but it also turns her into a kid. I find it's a really grating portrayal, especially with the ridiculously chipper attitude. I think they did that just to irk me....

Gordin was shota-ified, and his picture art is pretty grossly moe, but, oh well, it's just Gaggles.

Nobody has mentioned the Spring Banner, are we just pretending like it didn't happen?

Edited by Astellius

14 minutes ago, Astellius said:

As has been mentioned, both Roy and Lilina look way too young. I have Roy, and he looks like he was pulled straight from a shonen where the protagonist is, like, 10.

The weird thing is that in your typical shounen manga with a 10-year-old protagonist, the protagonist usually looks older than 10 years old to me. They, both said protagonists and Roy and Lilina, probably wouldn't look too out-of-place in a middle school or even as high-school freshmen.

For that matter, I think Nino looks fine as is, as well. I think she could pass just fine as a high-school freshman. Though, she does look a bit too short (as in her head is a bit too big relative to her torso and legs) in her attacking art. Her idle and damaged art look more or less fine, though.

14 minutes ago, Astellius said:

Nobody has mentioned the Spring Banner, are we just pretending like it didn't happen?

People are probably too distracted by Xander's fabulousness to pay attention to the art.

Edited by Ice Dragon

I actually like Nino's art except for the fact her tome is red when she is a green unit but even then it's a minor nitpick that isn't really bad, just inconsistent. Plus, I didn't know how old she was, but she did come off as pretty young so...eh.

17 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The weird thing is that in your typical shounen manga with a 10-year-old protagonist, the protagonist usually looks older than 10 years old to me. They, both said protagonists and Roy and Lilina, probably wouldn't look too out-of-place in a middle school or even as high-school freshmen.

For that matter, I think Nino looks fine as is, as well. I think she could pass just fine as a high-school freshman. Though, she does look a bit too short (as in her head is a bit too big relative to her torso and legs) in her attacking art. Her idle and damaged art look more or less fine, though.

People are probably too distracted by Xander's fabulousness to pay attention to the art.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

I actually like Nino's art except for the fact her tome is red when she is a green unit but even then it's a minor nitpick that isn't really bad, just inconsistent. Plus, I didn't know how old she was, but she did come off as pretty young so...eh.

To Arthur97's point, I did say the art was good quality, and she's cute. My complaint is the kid-ification, I hate it that they turned her into a loli (who appears obnoxiously chipper). She was 14 in Blazing Blade.

To Ice Dragon, for comparison, I pulled the old art and put it next to her attacking portrait from Heroes. I stuck them in the spoiler, along with my analysis.

Spoiler

latest.thumb.png.3dd65a71f0a14f68a30a99da77d5be3a.png421.png.7bb0f3b3c55da62d51123203cfa63143.png

In the Heroes portrait, her head is proportionately much larger in comparison to her body, and her torso and her limbs are all very small. Her face is also much wider, which is typical for kids. For a sense of proportion, let's suppose the tome she's holding in the portrait on the right is the size of a textbook. It fits from her hand into the crux of her elbow, so her arms are very small, and it's also wider than her body. She has all the proportions of a child in the 7-8 y/o range, and looks like she would probably be in elementary school. (I also hate the really deep, knees-bent inward, pigeon-toed pose in the Heroes attacking picture (which is why I used that one).)

The Blazing Sword one, her torso is longer, approaching adult proportions. The face is sharper, less rounded, and the head is a proportionate size to the body for someone in their mid-teens.

Liking or disliking this portrayal of her is, of course, subjective. However, comparison of objective features shows that Nino in Heroes has a much more childish body.

My point was that I really dislike that they took a character and redesigned her into a much younger one (specifically a loli-style one). This is my least favorite redesign because Nino was one of my favorites from Blazing Blade, and they took a good design and turned her into a kid. And I'm not too fond of kids running amok everywhere in FE.

@pumpkinspice48 Yeah, Raigh looks too young as well, but I was pretty ambivalent towards him in the game, and don't use him. Probably why he hasn't been mentioned yet as well.

31 minutes ago, Astellius said:

To Ice Dragon, for comparison, I pulled the old art and put it next to her attacking portrait from Heroes. I stuck them in the spoiler, along with my analysis.

1. Now that I look at it, Nino's body actually looks too large in her original official artwork. Namely, her hips and legs are enormous. The more I look at it, the more it's actually creeping me out.
  2. You picked her attacking art to represent her Heroes artwork, which I already acknowledged makes her body too small. You've also acknowledged yourself that you picked the artwork of her that you like least from Heroes, so at the very least, you should use both the art of her you like most and the one you like least for a better objective comparison.

True, the standing artwork is more similar and therefore better for comparison. If the dimensions are off in the attack pose specifically, then you should have presented all three.

As for the chipperness, is she not supposed to be chipper? Isn't her thing kind of being the chipper person despite having a terrible life? Granted I haven't played Blazing Blade in quite a while.

2 hours ago, Astellius said:

To Arthur97's point, I did say the art was good quality, and she's cute. My complaint is the kid-ification, I hate it that they turned her into a loli (who appears obnoxiously chipper). She was 14 in Blazing Blade.

Reveal hidden contents

latest.thumb.png.3dd65a71f0a14f68a30a99da77d5be3a.png421.png.7bb0f3b3c55da62d51123203cfa63143.png

In the Heroes portrait, her head is proportionately much larger in comparison to her body, and her torso and her limbs are all very small. Her face is also much wider, which is typical for kids. For a sense of proportion, let's suppose the tome she's holding in the portrait on the right is the size of a textbook. It fits from her hand into the crux of her elbow, so her arms are very small, and it's also wider than her body. She has all the proportions of a child in the 7-8 y/o range, and looks like she would probably be in elementary school. (I also hate the really deep, knees-bent inward, pigeon-toed pose in the Heroes attacking picture (which is why I used that one).)

The Blazing Sword one, her torso is longer, approaching adult proportions. The face is sharper, less rounded, and the head is a proportionate size to the body for someone in their mid-teens.

Liking or disliking this portrayal of her is, of course, subjective. However, comparison of objective features shows that Nino in Heroes has a much more childish body.

My point was that I really dislike that they took a character and redesigned her into a much younger one (specifically a loli-style one). This is my least favorite redesign because Nino was one of my favorites from Blazing Blade, and they took a good design and turned her into a kid. And I'm not too fond of kids running amok everywhere in FE.

@pumpkinspice48 Yeah, Raigh looks too young as well, but I was pretty ambivalent towards him in the game, and don't use him. Probably why he hasn't been mentioned yet as well.

Where is the FE7 official artwork from?  Because the Heroes artwork much more closely matches the impression I got from her in-game portrayal.  Then again, I never would have guessed she was 14, either (I never had her support with Rebecca).

10 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Where is the FE7 official artwork from?  Because the Heroes artwork much more closely matches the impression I got from her in-game portrayal.  Then again, I never would have guessed she was 14, either (I never had her support with Rebecca).

FE9 had galleries for FE7/8 characters and in the Japanese version, 6 too, that were unlocked by linking games.

It may have been released somewhere else before that but it's definitely in that gallery.

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

True, the standing artwork is more similar and therefore better for comparison. If the dimensions are off in the attack pose specifically, then you should have presented all three.

As for the chipperness, is she not supposed to be chipper? Isn't her thing kind of being the chipper person despite having a terrible life? Granted I haven't played Blazing Blade in quite a while.

I think it goes like: 

Spoiler

1. Her adoptive mother killed her family and only Nerval saved her life due to her magical potencial.

2. Her adoptive mother left her on her own and she had to learn how to read and use magic.

3. Then the player can use her to kill her remaining (blood?) brother.

So yeah. 

5 minutes ago, Rezanator said:

I think it goes like: 

Hide contents

1. Her adoptive mother killed her family and only Nerval saved her life due to her magical potencial.

2. Her adoptive mother left her on her own and she had to learn how to read and use magic.

3. Then the player can use her to kill her remaining (blood?) brother.

So yeah. 

Nino is unrelated to Lloyd and Linus.  She's their foster sister, and cared for them both greatly, but they're not related.

She is, however, heavily implied to be Canas's wife's niece/Hugh's cousin