What would you want to see changed in gameplay?

Sylphid

The game's been out for few days, and I'm sure everyone has some opinions by now. What I'm curious about is, what changes could be done to improve Heroes' gameplay?

Personally, I found it really good for a mobile strategy game and there isn't a lot that I feel the need to be changed. Something I find myself wanting though is a better pre-battle preparation screen. I'm not saying seeing the enemy colors and weapons isn't enough, because most of the time it is. But there are few situations that make me want to have a main FE game style preparation screen:

• Since we cannot see the map before entering the battle, it's possible to get screwed by the terrain. For instance, few times I would have wanted a flier when I didn't bring one, or had more ranged fighters than I could protect on an open field and apparently this happens to enemies too since there's that one enemy mage who's walled in and can't break out on their own. Then there's the fact that you can't change your characters' starting positions, which has caused me some issues.
  • The game doesn't tell you if your facing infantry, horses, fliers or armors so preparing for them is night impossible (4 units isn't exactly enough to prepare for every possible scenario). Most of the time this isn't an issue for me, but armored enemies are a constant thorn for me because my mages frankly suck and I never bring them anywhere over my stronger units. So when I do face armored enemies, the battle is prolonged a lot because I'm dealing peanuts for damage.

So, what about everyone else?

Note: it's possible to send feedback in-game by going misc. -> FAQ/Etc. -> Customer Support, so sending your suggestions to the developers would be a good idea.

I've got serious problems with armored enemies for the same reasons - they've got ridiculous Attack and Defense stats. I somehow manage to deal with green ones with my 5* Roy and 5* Lucina, while 5* Catria works quite well against red ones. But the blue ones are my nightmare because I was unable to summon a decent green unit (just a 4* Gunter, but he gets outclassed very easily in the last chapters on hard mode). My magic units also are terrible.

So yeah, if I had to choose something, I would definitely nerf armored units just a little.

The amount of feathers needed to upgrade stars is ridiculous and overkill, tbh.  While you can get them with a lot of patience, 20,000 for going 4-> 5 is wayyyyyyy too many when the most you can get from the Arena a week is only around 2,000 if your offense is good and AI using your units beats enough players, plus however the rank stuff works, while the other methods give ~five at a time.  And I don't see any way to purchase them either.

REPOSITIONING.  Since the maps are so small, the default positions can screw you over since you can't foresee maps.  For example, I wound up having Fae be locked up with Ryouma in that one Birthright map.  Not good.

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The amount of feathers needed to upgrade stars is ridiculous and overkill, tbh.  While you can get them with a lot of patience, 20,000 for going 4-> 5 is wayyyyyyy too many when the most you can get from the Arena a week is only around 2,000 if your offense is good and AI using your units beats enough players, plus however the rank stuff works, while the other methods give ~five at a time.  And I don't see any way to purchase them either.

REPOSITIONING.  Since the maps are so small, the default positions can screw you over since you can't foresee maps.  For example, I wound up having Fae be locked up with Ryouma in that one Birthright map.  Not good.

I definitely second both of these. 2000 feathers for 3*->4* is perfectly reasonable, but 20000 seems VERY high. Even something like 10,000 would be much better. Some maps heavily punish bad starting positions, and there's been times I started a map and immediately knew I would fail because my units were positioned all wrong.

I also wish the EXP gain formula wasn't quite as harsh about being overleveled. In the training tower, sometimes my lower rarity units can't do much in the stratum of their level, so I go down a stratum -- but since you get no EXP for beating low level enemies (either 4 or 5 levels below), it's really hard to get enough experience to get them to level up. I just need a way to get them to level 20 consistently!

11 minutes ago, Fly_or_Die said:

I also wish the EXP gain formula wasn't quite as harsh about being overleveled. In the training tower, sometimes my lower rarity units can't do much in the stratum of their level, so I go down a stratum -- but since you get no EXP for beating low level enemies (either 4 or 5 levels below), it's really hard to get enough experience to get them to level up. I just need a way to get them to level 20 consistently!

This. I have a lot of units that just can't level up because they're overleveled. And I can't get them to level up in the next stage of the Training Tower because the enemies are way too strong, so I'm stuck.

Also, I hadn't paid much attention to rarity, but... 20,000 Feathers to promote a character from 4* to 5* is absurd. Honestly, I would've thought even 10,000 would be too much. I believe something between 5,000-7,000 would be reasonable.

Edited by Pikappa93

I'm fine with not seeing the map or unit types (since you know about the triangle, you should take that in mind and prepare fot the widest variety of teams possible), but not giving an option of postitioning before the battle is simply unfair. 

I'm also concerned about ridiculously high stamina costs at higher levels.

Leveling my non-gold units is also an issue for me. Currently i hunt eight stratum (with levels ranging from 35 to 40) with 31 and 33 golden chars, 23 bronze and 22 silver. The latter are mostly used for bufffs/debuffs and scoring kills for the lunatic quests when possible. I have to say, it is quite interesting to manipulate enemies while trying both to win the game and set up kills for lower-leveled guys, but even so the experience gained by 22 lvl when killing 40 lvl is simply underwhelming. Honestly, in any "main" fe it's instant lvl up. Not quite the story here. I even start to wonder whether golden units gain exp faster. I only recently found out that you can upgrade the castle for permanent exp boost, but even with +40% it's still slow.

I really really wish one of the 2 star units you got at the start of the game was a healer. I understand Matthew, Virion, and Raigh provide a full set of ranged attackers to complement the melee only lords, but would it have killed them to give us a clarine or maria as well? I also wish less of the map designs revolved around bridges. Again, it's only something I'm complaining about because I wasn't graced with a flying unit, but it needs to be said. Funneling your units through a one tile space while being pelted by their ranged attackers is your only course of action most of the time and it sucks.

Other than those two complaints, I'm loving the challenges presented by the game, and the feeling of having the exact unit to counter individual enemies. Even 5 star units have built in weaknesses in terms of speed or defenses, so you can't just auto battle even with a level advantage.

Re-positioning at the start of maps is going to be necessary for the long term of this game.  I'm working on Lunatic difficulty right now and since I'm using Sheena as my main tank to absorb blows until Takumi and Lyn can whittle down my opponents, if she's in a bad spot at the start I either have to turtle until I can move her enough or die and redo the mission after changing her placement on my team roster

1. A "Battle Preparations" screen (even if just for advanced users) that show the map layout, enemy positions (bonus if it includes weapon type, more so it it actually tells what is there) and player positions (that can be changed around instead of being predetermined). Sure, it is another button and may not be "casual friendly" but to us tacticians out there, more information is greatly appreciated.

2. A "Crystal Exchange" shop. I don't mind trading at a loss, but sometimes I would really like certain Shards, Crystals, or Badges while I have a surplus of something else.

3. Add a starting healer, say Wyrs. Since healing options are rather limited, having a healer on a team can help immensely (unless dealing with burst-heavy enemy teams, but then again it is Human vs AI - kiting tactics can work if the terrain allows it.)

Otherwise, I would like to see an expanded deployment roster (up to 8 characters) and expanded maps (it could be a "Monster Hunter" or "Valkyria Chronicles 2" style version, with certain tiles leading to different maps), but considering the current formula I doubt this is going to be added any time soon, if at all.

Also, thanks for pointing out the Customer Support thing. I may end up sending them my suggestions directly.

Definitely something for battle preparations. Honestly, while the team set-up thing is nice, I'd like to see a feature where, if we want, you can just put together any 4 characters right there without having to edit a team in the Allies section. Getting to choose setting is good too.

And while this isn't quite gameplay, after the promotion for the 2 daily orbs stops, you think they'll continue with perhaps 1 orb a day or just stop it completely?

Rework the summoning system a bit. Maybe make it so there are times where doesn't cost as much, or make orbs easier to obtain without spending real money... The whole game is about summoning people, yet if you can't clear story missions quickly, log in at certain times, or get lucky with some of the side quests, you're not going to be summoning very many without dumping real money on the game...

Maybe have special times where the cost to summon is lower, or give orbs out daily. Bigger chapter rewards, with them having a smaller reward once cleared once would also be nice. Just make it so that free players are not at too much of a disadvantage against paying players...

Also, on the topic of summoning, there should be two options. One of them should be the option we have now, to summon by color. The others should be an option to summon by weapon, with the color being random instead. That way summoning wouldn't be as costly, but there could still be enough randomness to keep the game the way it is. I can't tell you how frustrated I was when looking for a bow user to replace the starting one, yet all I got were a bunch of staff users. I finally settled on a 4 star Gaius that I got today, and he's performing fairly well...

Also, I think that this will be addressed in an update, but there should be more chapters. With the right setup, it's easy to plow through a lot of them at once, and the last chapter leaves a lot of plot threads unresolved...

Edited by wheelsonfire

1 hour ago, wheelsonfire said:

Rework the summoning system a bit. Maybe make it so there are times where doesn't cost as much, or make orbs easier to obtain without spending real money... The whole game is about summoning people, yet if you can't clear story missions quickly, log in at certain times, or get lucky with some of the side quests, you're not going to be summoning very many without dumping real money on the game...

Maybe have special times where the cost to summon is lower, or give orbs out daily. Bigger chapter rewards, with them having a smaller reward once cleared once would also be nice. Just make it so that free players are not at too much of a disadvantage against paying players...

Also, on the topic of summoning, there should be two options. One of them should be the option we have now, to summon by color. The others should be an option to summon by weapon, with the color being random instead. That way summoning wouldn't be as costly, but there could still be enough randomness to keep the game the way it is. I can't tell you how frustrated I was when looking for a bow user to replace the starting one, yet all I got were a bunch of staff users. I finally settled on a 4 star Gaius that I got today, and he's performing fairly well...

Also, I think that this will be addressed in an update, but there should be more chapters. With the right setup, it's easy to plow through a lot of them at once, and the last chapter leaves a lot of plot threads unresolved...

It would be great if they made the current "2 orbs a day" promotion a permanent thing, but I would also be perfectly be fine if they even gave out one a day. At least it would be something.

And yeah, the later chapters need bigger rewards. It feels like a whole lot for very little right now.

Edited by Sentinel07

The stamina system needs to change. With how quickly battles go, the cost for the higher-difficulty maps is absurd. I've been eating through my starting stamina potions so fast just to play more than one map an hour. Honestly, the summoning lottery system and the finite number of orbs you can get in the main game should have been enough to encourage microtransactions; this extra stamina system is wholly unnecessary and I'm considering breaking away from the game now before I get tempted to spend real money unless another solution arises.

5 hours ago, Eail said:

Re-positioning at the start of maps is going to be necessary for the long term of this game.  I'm working on Lunatic difficulty right now and since I'm using Sheena as my main tank to absorb blows until Takumi and Lyn can whittle down my opponents, if she's in a bad spot at the start I either have to turtle until I can move her enough or die and redo the mission after changing her placement on my team roster

^^^^ I agree with this so much. Sometimes, I got screwed in certain maps just because my units were in a bad position, so being able to re-position your units would help a lot.

Make the promotion easier. Grinding for feathers is super annoying and I don't even know where to get the big emblems.

Just now, L9999 said:

Make the promotion easier. Grinding for feathers is super annoying and I don't even know where to get the big emblems.

You get them by beating the more advanced levels of the training tower, 6 and above. But yes, you're right, it's ridiculous.

You can convert your unwanted heroes into feathers by selecting "Send home", but that's far from a viable long-term source unless you're really spending a lot of money on this game.

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

You get them by beating the more advanced levels of the training tower, 6 and above. But yes, you're right, it's ridiculous.

You can convert your unwanted heroes into feathers by selecting "Send home", but that's far from a viable long-term source unless you're really spending a lot of money on this game.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Sentinel07 said:

You mean the Great Badges? Those are found in the 6th Stratum and higher in the Training Tower.

I'm playing the game in Spanish so I can't tell the English name.

You play around with positioning by entering the map and then changing around their slots at the Ally Screen. That's what I've been doing.

I actually don't have much of anything to say about it. As a stand-alone mobile game, it's pretty much perfect. So far, the only issue has been the difficulty. It's been too easy, and the way around it is not having your peeps grow really fucking quick (also, Rallies & Crystals/Shards). The strategy factor is definitely there.

Before you say anything, I'm not a richboy, nor a kid with his mom's credit card. But I think they need to adjust the price deals on orbs. It takes almost 20 orbs to most efficiently summon heroes but we can only get 3 for 2 whole dollars? Cygames has a much more agreeable credit per yen/dollar rate and players line their pockets with millions. If nintendo wants to keep this game afloat. They can't be stingy. 

13 minutes ago, Jaoenkatsu said:

Before you say anything, I'm not a richboy, nor a kid with his mom's credit card. But I think they need to adjust the price deals on orbs. It takes almost 20 orbs to most efficiently summon heroes but we can only get 3 for 2 whole dollars? Cygames has a much more agreeable credit per yen/dollar rate and players line their pockets with millions. If nintendo wants to keep this game afloat. They can't be stingy. 

Yeah, that pricing combined with the stamina system is absurd. I've run the numbers, once you get to the higher difficulty maps it can cost around 4 dollars an hour to play this game continuously using orbs to refresh your stamina. And when you only get one orb's worth of play every four hours, that's insane.

And that's not even the most expensive it can get! The hardest current map on lunatic can reduce your stamina to nil in just two attempts.

Edited by Alastor15243

'The feather costs need to be lowered quite a bit for 4* to 5* transition and there needs to be a way to "infinitely" earn them. The Great Badges may be like a coin flip when it comes to earning them in 6th or higher Stratum but at least you don't have to wait a week to get them or have the 7.1k per week cap from the arena.

1 hour ago, Jaoenkatsu said:

I was going to agree with you right off the bat (if people without any need to go through exchange rates complain about this, imagine us who do...), but then I realise, it's actually cool that they're that way. Think of it, it makes earning your characters more valuable. The game is easy enough as it is if you exploit everything is has to offer, so why not add to the "difficulty" by doing that? 

11 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

I was going to agree with you right off the bat (if people without any need to go through exchange rates complain about this, imagine us who do...), but then I realise, it's actually cool that they're that way. Think of it, it makes earning your characters more valuable. The game is easy enough as it is if you exploit everything is has to offer, so why not add to the "difficulty" by doing that? 

Nice that you would say that, but I object. They didn't implement paid content into the game to add "difficulty". They did it to incite players to sponsor the game's service. Some players who didn't reroll got screwed over by the initial summoning, and they are having a harder time clearing chapters than others; so what can they do? Roll for better heroes. But every first time chapter only gives one orb, and they get harder and harder as the game goes on. It isnt possible to grind for chapters because of the strict exp restrictions they put in the game. Orbs are crucial to players in the beginning, and its not fair that they should have to empty their wallets just to have fun playing a game they VOLUNTEERED to play.