[SOLVED] How Would You Make A Non-Flier Class A Flier?

Tactician Aria

So, I'm replacing the Lyn Lord class with a new class called the angel mage. As you know, lyn lord is an on foot class. This class is going to be a flier, but there is no option in nightmare for it. I figured it has something to do with the movement pointers but I don't want to ruin anything in the ROM. Is it possible to do something like this? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Tactician Duel
It got resolved.

I've never done this but I am pretty sure you can just give the class all of the features individually that a flier has. I am guessing you want it to have flier movement, give it the pegasus or wyvern icon, and be weak to bows and such. I don't think there is anything else that makes fliers different?

The icon you can do in Nightmare in the class editor - you have probably already seen that.

The movement you can as well. Just give it the same movement pointer that all the fliers have. You will notice pegasus knights/falcoknights/wyverns all have the same pointer. Use that and it lets them move over terrain. (Again pretty sure but it was a long time ago that I messed with this stuff.)

As for weaknesses, the way that I would do this (not sure if there is another way) is to create a new Effectiveness somewhere in free space in your ROM. I think weapons are marked as being 'effective' against specific class IDs, and not a general 'flier' status. You might have to do some digging on exactly how to do this but you can specify a spot in your ROM where you list the classes you want an item to be effective against. Make one with Lyn Lord class included (which from memory I believe is class 0x02?) and point all of the weapons that you want to be effective against your Angel Mage class to this new effectiveness.

Sorry that I can't explain it any better. But here I found a link to an old post that might help:

https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/27014-weapon-effectiveness-question/

Edited by Seracz

14 minutes ago, Seracz said:

I've never done this but I am pretty sure you can just give the class all of the features individually that a flier has. I am guessing you want it to have flier movement, give it the pegasus or wyvern icon, and be weak to bows and such. I don't think there is anything else that makes fliers different?

The icon you can do in Nightmare in the class editor - you have probably already seen that.

The movement you can as well. Just give it the same movement pointer that all the fliers have. You will notice pegasus knights/falcoknights/wyverns all have the same pointer. Use that and it lets them move over terrain. (Again pretty sure but it was a long time ago that I messed with this stuff.)

As for weaknesses, the way that I would do this (not sure if there is another way) is to create a new Effectiveness somewhere in free space in your ROM. I think weapons are marked as being 'effective' against specific class IDs, and not a general 'flier' status. You might have to do some digging on exactly how to do this but you can specify a spot in your ROM where you list the classes you want an item to be effective against. Make one with Lyn Lord class included (which from memory I believe is class 0x02?) and point all of the weapons that you want to be effective against your Angel Mage class to this new effectiveness.

Sorry that I can't explain it any better. But here I found a link to an old post that might help:

https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/27014-weapon-effectiveness-question/

I probably should have phrased myself better. I just wanted them to be able to fly over terrain (Mountains, Water, Etc.) like fliers. I didn't really want them to have the weaknesses of fliers. Sorry about that!

Edited by Tactician Duel

14 minutes ago, Seracz said:

OH GOD I DIDN'T SEE THAT BEFORE!! I'm so sorry!

5 minutes ago, Tactician Duel said:

I probably should have phrased myself better. I just wanted them to be able to fly over terrain (Mountains, Water, Etc.) like fliers. I didn't really want them to have the weaknesses of fliers. Sorry about that! Although does the icon option still apply?

Ok! So everything you want then can be done in nightmare easily.

Change all of the movement and terrain pointers to exactly the same ones that pegasus knights or wyverns have and thats all you have to do for the movement.

And the icons are under the Class Ability 2 list. Also just to note if your class is promoted you will have to add 01 on to that, so Pegasus icon for example is 0x10, so if your class is promoted, pick 0x11 (even though nothing is listed there) and it will give your class 0x10 + 0x01, (Pegasus icon + promoted status).

2 minutes ago, Seracz said:

Ok! So everything you want then can be done in nightmare easily.

Change all of the movement and terrain pointers to exactly the same ones that pegasus knights or wyverns have and thats all you have to do for the movement.

And the icons are under the Class Ability 2 list. Also just to note if your class is promoted you will have to add 01 on to that, so Pegasus icon for example is 0x10, so if your class is promoted, pick 0x11 (even though nothing is listed there) and it will give your class 0x10 + 0x01, (Pegasus icon + promoted status).

Thank you so much! I'm sorry about not reading the first post more carefully. Everything's working great now!

• 2 weeks later...

@Tactician Duel

You might want to also get the "movement sounds" nightmare module: http://feuniverse.us/t/walking-sounds/782/6 (this will allow you to adjust the sounds of movement for each class, duh)

You have to use your own classlist.txt for it, however. 

Tip: You can open your nightmare module file (.nmm) in a notepad editor, I suggest using Notepad++, and see what the actual file name is that needs opening. DO NOT ADJUST ANY OF THE .NMM FILE. Unless you are expanding the .nmm module, do not edit it. And you need to do something special to expand it so don't just be changing numbers and expecting your ROM to be a-okay. There's a tutorial on that too if you wanna add more items, classes, etc. right here:

Except the part where it says to multiply the amount of entries by the original size of entries, don't do that. Multiply it by the new size of entries (the amount of entries you want). 

Anyways, I'm just not sure how familiar you are with nightmare and how much you can actually manipulate which is why I'm saying all of this stuff, but I wanted to show you that just in case the angel mage sounds like it's walking like LynLord would normally walk and just in case you ever wanted to add more classes as opposed to replacing the existing ones, there's that as well.

5 hours ago, Avril Lavigne said:

@Tactician Duel

You might want to also get the "movement sounds" nightmare module: http://feuniverse.us/t/walking-sounds/782/6 (this will allow you to adjust the sounds of movement for each class, duh)

You have to use your own classlist.txt for it, however. 

Tip: You can open your nightmare module file (.nmm) in a notepad editor, I suggest using Notepad++, and see what the actual file name is that needs opening. DO NOT ADJUST ANY OF THE .NMM FILE. Unless you are expanding the .nmm module, do not edit it. And you need to do something special to expand it so don't just be changing numbers and expecting your ROM to be a-okay. There's a tutorial on that too if you wanna add more items, classes, etc. right here:

Except the part where it says to multiply the amount of entries by the original size of entries, don't do that. Multiply it by the new size of entries (the amount of entries you want). 

Anyways, I'm just not sure how familiar you are with nightmare and how much you can actually manipulate which is why I'm saying all of this stuff, but I wanted to show you that just in case the angel mage sounds like it's walking like LynLord would normally walk and just in case you ever wanted to add more classes as opposed to replacing the existing ones, there's that as well.

Wow, thanks Avril! I'll be sure to look into these when i get the chance, especially the repointing part. I'm comfortable with NM enough so that I know what I'm doing, but i wouldn't call myself a pro.