Capibara´s splicing nightmare

Capibarainspace

First Line. 

1)I already told you that I liked the sprite.

2) Did you really reworked the hair? Overall, that's a cool sprite.

3) As ZaManSwings stated, the chest and collar mismatch.

Second Line

She doesn't have the "roguish/rebellous" vibe anymore. Careful with her left eye, it seems pretty high.

Third Line

Damn, from all the hairstyles she got that one is my favourite.

Fourth Line

1) This is one freakin' good one. Don't know what to say.

2) It seems to me that his shoulders are a bit too large.

3) It looks like the wings on the tiara are directly facing us. 

Have a nice day and keep up the good work!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2017 at 2:53 PM, Ycine said:

First Line. 

1)I already told you that I liked the sprite.

2) Did you really reworked the hair? Overall, that's a cool sprite.

3) As ZaManSwings stated, the chest and collar mismatch.

Second Line

She doesn't have the "roguish/rebellous" vibe anymore. Careful with her left eye, it seems pretty high.

Third Line

Damn, from all the hairstyles she got that one is my favourite.

Fourth Line

1) This is one freakin' good one. Don't know what to say.

2) It seems to me that his shoulders are a bit too large.

3) It looks like the wings on the tiara are directly facing us. 

Have a nice day and keep up the good work!

On 4/8/2017 at 11:34 AM, ZaManSwings said:

Yo duuude, so Im a beginner, so take this with a bag or morton salt: 

Row 1 left, SWEET druidess, the monacle is on point. Something about the bang on the right side of her face seems choppy.
Row 1 mid, that bandana is super contrasted with the face below it, and thats probably from the border colours. The body on this one ROCKS. 
Row 1 right the collar and chest orientation are mismatched, but the face is SUPER clean. 

Row 2, the right side of her face and hair are super split up, the border colour separates them pretty handilly. Maybe try blending those? Her face on the right side, the eye is pretty high up, maybe down a pixel?

Row 3, her hair on the right side going over the pauldron, probably some sort of shading needed. It'd make a shadow in real life, I feel like? 

Row 4 left, LOVING the darker dude's colour choices. give yourself more credit, the body looks aight! The right hand side where the cloak comes under the pauldron is a bit wonky, but those details are super hard to nail down. 
Row 4 mid, this is probably the most obvious splice, but only because you diddn't do too much to BabyZeph's head as a base. :^_^: The royal blue of that cloak also hurts my eyes a bit, it's almost neon. The left hand side where the cloak goes over his shoulder also needs a bit of blending to smoothe it out. 
Row 4 right, thats above my pay grade.. but if I had to guess,  her right shoulder needs some TLC. I'd just match it up with Lalum's dancer ribbons, like you did on the left hand side, at least for now. that should give you some leway to focus on the the only real issue, the headpiece. Thats a ballsy sprite, dude :):. The head piece could probably be lightened up a tad. ignoring the wings, i'd say try blending the part where the headpiece goes across the forehead. With my jewelry pieces on my folks, I usually use the same as the darkest shaded pixel on the skin to help it out.  

Heres to your good luck! Hopefully thats not overstepping nuthin'! 

Thank you both so much for the replies and I´m sorry I didn´t comment earlier, real life got rough!

I updated a couple of mugs with help from your suggestions,

NewFixes.png.aa016eef8899dfc6d7118d84faf05648.png

1) Not much, just improved the shading on her right bang. I think the hair still needs some work...

2) I changed parts of the border colour on the bandana and wow that is what she needed all along. Also tried to improve the hair above her forehead.

3) I don´t know how I missed that clunky eye from before, thank you both. I tried combining both designs, I like it better but I´m not at peace with her yet. 

4) My PegKnight assassin aahh!. I love her but that chest orientation has been haunting me. I reworked it a little but I fear it´s not enough.

I haven´t touched the others, mainly because they need more work, but I´ll keep your feedback in mind!

1) Shaman lady is always good. Maybe try more shading on her hair?

2) Wyvern lady is freakin' cool. 

3) I don't know what to say, she looks good.

4) I never realized but the way her mask interacts with her collar is off?

12 minutes ago, Ycine said:

1) Shaman lady is always good. Maybe try more shading on her hair?

2) Wyvern lady is freakin' cool. 

3) I don't know what to say, she looks good.

4) I never realized but the way her mask interacts with her collar is off?

4) Yep, I remember it was a challenge when I first spliced her way back when. I may try to redo her when I have some time.

Thanks!

I updated this guy (better eyes, hair, shading)  and made my first hackbox!

Icarusold.png.d4a5e29a838cfb5c7e6becf3a8abb674.png  >>> IcarusHB.png.d0053a61f743a8bcb7da2b36114a5894.png

I´ll be glad for any input, especially the mini mug since it was my first time trying.

Also, for some reason I can´t align the mouth box properly in Feditor. I can drag the box normally but it doesn´t "fit" anywhere in the image. Weird thing is I can drag the eye box and fit it perfectly. Any ideas?

On 12/09/2017 at 2:55 PM, Capibarainspace said:

NewFixes.png.aa016eef8899dfc6d7118d84faf05648.png

Shaman is looking better, maybe just lacking a bit of 3rd shade on cloth. It would help with the depth. Not much but a bit

Mercenary still has fuzzy hair's root. You really need to use 3rd shade. Maybe Sain could be a reference, but right now it just looks flat.

Yound girl's hair seems a bit like a wig. You need to give her some hair on the back of her head. A bit like Serra has. Also, the top of her head is really flat and lacking any shading.

On your Assassin Peg, the orientation of her face cloth is wrong. The highest point has to be on top of her nose, whire right now it appears more under her eye. The second point is 100% personnal opinion, but the red ou use isnt right for an armor, if you want to give it a metallic look, you need a brighter and more contrasted red.

16 hours ago, Capibarainspace said:

I updated this guy (better eyes, hair, shading)  and made my first hackbox!

Icarusold.png.d4a5e29a838cfb5c7e6becf3a8abb674.png  >>> IcarusHB.png.d0053a61f743a8bcb7da2b36114a5894.png

There seems to be a misplaced bright pixel on the brighest part of the armor that wasnt there in the before version. 

Chin is really weird. Like he's lacking any chin. Looks a bit like Cormag, but Cormag had that issue too...

7 hours ago, Ycine said:

Icarus is excessvily convincing now. The shade on his left cheek is too straigth though.

As for FEditor I don't know, sorry.

Appreciate it, this was one of my first mugs and has come a long way. It was hell though.

Icarusold.png.da8bb5177a5e193e559d7ae71cc5d4ae.png (shivers)

1 hour ago, Kratos Aurion said:

Shaman is looking better, maybe just lacking a bit of 3rd shade on cloth. It would help with the depth. Not much but a bit

Mercenary still has fuzzy hair's root. You really need to use 3rd shade. Maybe Sain could be a reference, but right now it just looks flat.

Yound girl's hair seems a bit like a wig. You need to give her some hair on the back of her head. A bit like Serra has. Also, the top of her head is really flat and lacking any shading.

On your Assassin Peg, the orientation of her face cloth is wrong. The highest point has to be on top of her nose, whire right now it appears more under her eye. The second point is 100% personnal opinion, but the red ou use isnt right for an armor, if you want to give it a metallic look, you need a brighter and more contrasted red.

There seems to be a misplaced bright pixel on the brighest part of the armor that wasnt there in the before version. 

Chin is really weird. Like he's lacking any chin. Looks a bit like Cormag, but Cormag had that issue too...

1) WIll try the shaman thing.

2) I beleive I used three different hairs for this one. I think I´ll redo it from scratch now that I am comfortable with splicing hair.

3) Lol, I´m starting to hate her.

4) That´s what it was! The cloth always bugged me. I like the colour but now that you mention it I see it looks like plastic rather than metal, I´ll see what I can do.

5) Thanks for the pixel heads up, I don´t know what I did there but it got wonky. Regarding the chin, YES, it´s a mess.

I got to work and here it is. With more chin and less derp.

IcarusHB.png.37f558993686c7000cbcdedb70b9f84f.png

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve been doing a needed rework on some of the older mugs. Here are a couple,

PanComp.png.852c3bb3a78827bde7a026f8abd8b4d4.png Demon baby villager vs Ok Archer. 

I nearly started again from scratch, there was no other way. Tried to make him young without using the villager body which was rather boring. Improved hair, face, details, etc. The hair is not there yet, I feel splicing hair is my weakest point, any tips?

Also some recolours,

RonanTanya.png.456e09bc72cf6b238702dcbf1ac3e34e.png Ronan and Tanya from Thracia

PrincessComp.png.fdea69e38af6d10a4f48c39c98e1cf8d.png

Her expression always bugged me, she looked worried, and the dress/robes was messy. I improved the face overall but I will change the lips later (she is not worried now but I want her to have more of a serene expression). Also, I feel the new neck works better, not prone to vertebrae dislocation.

FridComp.png.88fa6165c6338dc9d15462614ec3c042.png

I wanted to use brighter colours, I noticed I use darkish purples too much. I improved shading and head placement. Overall I think this would have been an improvement if I hadn´t fucked up the chin so much...

Some hackboxes as well,

LeandreHB.png.d9cabad1f761315ac6edd75a5c8154b2.pngOrestesHB.png.2dcb81cd2601e2d3fc5a17df3a774e64.pngTeresaHB.png.1471deb8cb8211a712f2c05929e8b5ec.png

The first one still needs adjusting on the lock of hair over her left eye. I improved her hair colour, it was too pale before.

On 26/09/2017 at 4:02 PM, Capibarainspace said:

I´ve been doing a needed rework on some of the older mugs. Here are a couple,

PanComp.png.852c3bb3a78827bde7a026f8abd8b4d4.png Demon baby villager vs Ok Archer. 

I nearly started again from scratch, there was no other way. Tried to make him young without using the villager body which was rather boring. Improved hair, face, details, etc. The hair is not there yet, I feel splicing hair is my weakest point, any tips?

New version is much cleaner. Hair look a bit too much manga style IMO. I think you should add a bit of shading (mostly 2nd shade) to give more depth. Also, maybe it's on purpose, but there's a lot of hair's length inequity : A part of his bang appears to be longer than all the rest of his hair, while the middle of the bang is way shorter.

PrincessComp.png.fdea69e38af6d10a4f48c39c98e1cf8d.png

Her new face looks more mature, but she lacks upper lip. The back of her head also seems a bit too flat. Her hairs appear to be long, so they can't just disappear in the back of her head and be that flat. Even more, her haircut is unsymitrical, so we need to see all that extra hair from the left side (OPV) thatmust be behind her head.

FridComp.png.88fa6165c6338dc9d15462614ec3c042.png

I wanted to use brighter colours, I noticed I use darkish purples too much. I improved shading and head placement. Overall I think this would have been an improvement if I hadn´t fucked up the chin so much...

New version is better, he looks way more adult than previous version who was somewhere inbetween age. Chin is good from what i can tell. Eyes are a bit too close of the headband.We can't even See eyebrows!

Some hackboxes as well,

LeandreHB.png.d9cabad1f761315ac6edd75a5c8154b2.pngOrestesHB.png.2dcb81cd2601e2d3fc5a17df3a774e64.pngTeresaHB.png.1471deb8cb8211a712f2c05929e8b5ec.png

The first one still needs adjusting on the lock of hair over her left eye. I improved her hair colour, it was too pale before.

First one, there seems to be a dark pixel over the shoulder pad that shouldn't be there. It gives a square look while all the rest is smooth.There should be a bit a 2nd shard on pad too because of the hairs. Not a lot, but a bit on the left side (OPV). Jaw line is too strong too, close to the ear, you dont need that much 5th shade.

Second one's armor isnt clean... But it's an issue with the original mug. Scarf is pillowshaded too and shading of the scarf on the neck is off, also over pillowshaded.

Third one need shade on the chin because of the collar. Also, the back of her head isnt in the same orientation than her face (That face is hard to work with).

1 hour ago, Kratos Aurion said:

New version is much cleaner. Hair look a bit too much manga style IMO. I think you should add a bit of shading (mostly 2nd shade) to give more depth. Also, maybe it's on purpose, but there's a lot of hair's length inequity : A part of his bang appears to be longer than all the rest of his hair, while the middle of the bang is way shorter.

I´m not too familiar with manga style but I agree about adding 2nd shade, it´s a little bit empty. Honestly, the long bang was kept because of convenience lazyness, it fit well when I spliced it. I will try the hair again in the future.

Her new face looks more mature, but she lacks upper lip. The back of her head also seems a bit too flat. Her hairs appear to be long, so they can't just disappear in the back of her head and be that flat. Even more, her haircut is unsymitrical, so we need to see all that extra hair from the left side (OPV) thatmust be behind her head.

By the back of her head, do you mean the braids or just above them? She is supposed to have braided hair that goes in circles around her ear, perhaps is not coming across well. I agree about some hair missing.

New version is better, he looks way more adult than previous version who was somewhere inbetween age. Chin is good from what i can tell. Eyes are a bit too close of the headband.We can't even See eyebrows!

I didn´t realize that about the eyebrows, thanks!

First one, there seems to be a dark pixel over the shoulder pad that shouldn't be there. It gives a square look while all the rest is smooth.There should be a bit a 2nd shard on pad too because of the hairs. Not a lot, but a bit on the left side (OPV). Jaw line is too strong too, close to the ear, you dont need that much 5th shade.

Dark pixel is gone now. Sorry, I don´t really understand this, "2nd shard on pad too because of the hairs. Not a lot, but a bit on the left side (OPV)" . Do you mean it needs more shading because of the hair?, also you mean Object point of view with OPV, right?

Second one's armor isnt clean... But it's an issue with the original mug. Scarf is pillowshaded too and shading of the scarf on the neck is off, also over pillowshaded.

I think the messyness of the armour works because he is supposed to be a veteran knight with some battles behind him. True about the pillowshading, that scarf gives me nightmares to this day. 

Third one need shade on the chin because of the collar. Also, the back of her head isnt in the same orientation than her face (That face is hard to work with).

Yep, chin needs shading and I´ll see what I do with the positioning, it´s hard alright.

Thanks a lot for the detailed observations, I appreciate it!

Edited by Capibarainspace

5 hours ago, Capibarainspace said:

1- By the back of her head, do you mean the braids or just above them? She is supposed to have braided hair that goes in circles around her ear, perhaps is not coming across well. I agree about some hair missing.

2- Dark pixel is gone now. Sorry, I don´t really understand this, "2nd shard on pad too because of the hairs. Not a lot, but a bit on the left side (OPV)" . Do you mean it needs more shading because of the hair?, also you mean Object point of view with OPV, right?

1- I meant because of the missing hair making the back of her head empty

2- I meant 2nd shade (not shard) on the shoulder pad. Since light source is from top right corner, the hair should produce shade on shoulder pad too. 

And OPV is Our Point of View. 

Note to myself re-read what I write before posting!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/11/2017 at 6:53 PM, ZaManSwings said:

NewMage.png.6be883af04dba7ff620fa785e6ed708b.png
This one. This is a SWEET look! Kinda androgynous, though, unless that's what you're going for? I can't tell if that's a beard or what on their chin, though. Also, I think the green hair is MUCH better looking. 

Thanks! She was originally a female cavalier so the androginy makes sense, it was not intended but I just went with it. 

I agree about the green, the red was just a what if. I don´t see the beard though :blink:. On a closer look, I think I overdid the shading on the chin a bit, maybe that´s what you mean.

On 30/10/2017 at 4:41 AM, Capibarainspace said:

NotWendy.png.6fe8c6e04d2d49c1dc775c2a6f5d2da6.png

She looks really good. You may give more volume to her hair but overall this is a good mug. The heavy shadowing on the inside of the scarf is kind of awkward in my opinion. 

On 19/10/2017 at 11:16 PM, Capibarainspace said:

NewMage.png.6be883af04dba7ff620fa785e6ed708b.png

I prefer the green one. And I got to say, this is nice mug.

Keep up the good work and have a nice day!

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2017 at 6:57 AM, Ycine said:

She looks really good. You may give more volume to her hair but overall this is a good mug. The heavy shadowing on the inside of the scarf is kind of awkward in my opinion. 

Thanks! Yep, the green one stayed. 

Update: In the near future all splices on this thread will be free to use, I´ll post the complete ones in the main post when I have a sizeable amount.

On 20/11/2017 at 6:57 AM, Ycine said:

Thanks! Yep, the green one stayed. 

Update: In the near future all splices on this thread will be free to use, I´ll post the complete ones in the main post when I have a sizeable amount.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so the Mugging Blitz gave me a much needed push to complete a bunch of my mugs.

CapibaraMugs.png.41c03b67c206bf71ad27da85a68d4507.png

From now on all mugs posted in the OP will be free for everyone to use, just give credit, you can PM too but it´s not necessary.

Mugs on the thread but not in the OP are not completed yet so please don´t use those.

Thanks everyone for the critiques and feedback, I wouldn´t have improved this much without you!!

First row from left to right.

1) Like it a lot.

2) This guy looks way better than the first time you showcased him. Good work.

3) I'm impressed by the volume of hair she got.

4) Ah, your old avatar. He looks good but he got like the shortest forehead I've ever seen.

Second Row

1) His right eyebrow doesn't look convincing. Try it on his left one.

2) Her hair says Neimi but she reminds me too much of Dorothy. Nice.

3) I really like her hair.

4) Nice.

Third Row

1) Don't know what to say. He looks good.

2) Really stylish. But her ear seems a little bit far away from the rest of her face. I don't know. It may just be me but anyway she's nice.

3) Her neck is rather thin. But she looks good.

4) Just nice.

Final Row.

1) Try a lighter color for her hair. It kind of mend with her armor.

2) Ines wished he'd look that good.

3) Too much space from inside his scarf. Maybe put more shadow in it?

4) Don't know what to say. 

Overall, as usual, those are great. Have a nice day and keep up the good work!

9 hours ago, Ycine said:

First row from left to right.

1) Like it a lot.

2) This guy looks way better than the first time you showcased him. Good work.

3) I'm impressed by the volume of hair she got.

4) Ah, your old avatar. He looks good but he got like the shortest forehead I've ever seen.

Second Row

1) His right eyebrow doesn't look convincing. Try it on his left one.

2) Her hair says Neimi but she reminds me too much of Dorothy. Nice.

3) I really like her hair.

4) Nice.

Third Row

1) Don't know what to say. He looks good.

2) Really stylish. But her ear seems a little bit far away from the rest of her face. I don't know. It may just be me but anyway she's nice.

3) Her neck is rather thin. But she looks good.

4) Just nice.

Final Row.

1) Try a lighter color for her hair. It kind of mend with her armor.

2) Ines wished he'd look that good.

3) Too much space from inside his scarf. Maybe put more shadow in it?

4) Don't know what to say. 

Overall, as usual, those are great. Have a nice day and keep up the good work!

Thanks so much for the feedback and having the time to go through all of them! 

I agree with a couple of details you noticed. For the time being I won´t be updating the ones I consider complete (in the OP) but there´s always room to improve them so I´ll probably edit them gradually.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...