Modifying FE4 with Nightmare

The Filthy Casual

First of all, I'm sorry if this isn't the best place to post this. I'm new to the forums, (I've lurked for a long time but never posted anything) so if I should put this somewhere else just let me know and I'll move it. Thanks.

So I decided I wanted to try modifying FE4 in nightmare, and there are several things I want to do. However, I'm not sure how to do them, or even if I can at all. I'm going to try and think of as many questions as possible so that I don't have to update every time something new occurs to me.

First of all, I want to make all of the Holy Weapons, with the exception of Gungnir and Loptyr, usable by the player. However, I want to do it in a somewhat realistic way. As in, I don't want a character to just randomly have the Helswath or Valflame in their inventory right off the bat for no reason. That's where the tricky part comes in. Messing with Holy Blood and inheritance is easy, but the game doesn't even give you the Holy Weapons that no one in your party should be able to use, for obvious reasons. So, this question has 3 parts. First, can I make it so that the minibosses will drop their holy weapons? For example, Langbalt with the Helswath in chapter 5? I went into his character data and tried to make it his dropable item, but it doesn't seem to be an option. If I'm able to do this, can I make it sellable, just in case the wrong character kills him? And if I'm not able to do these things, is it possible to put it in the proper character's inventory after the boss is dead? If someone could direct me to a way to do any of these things, I'd be very grateful. 

And that's all I can think of for right now. If I run across any other issues, I'll update. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I should probably mention that if I have to use a program other than Nightmare, I'm willing to do that. Keep that in mind.

Edited by The Filthy Casual

• 2 weeks later...

First, can I make it so that the minibosses will drop their holy weapons? For example, Langbalt with the Helswath in chapter 5? I went into his character data and tried to make it his droppable item, but it doesn't seem to be an option. If I'm able to do this, can I make it sellable, just in case the wrong character kills him? And if I'm not able to do these things, is it possible to put it in the proper character's inventory after the boss is dead?

Yes. But by default, no. You see, the reason they won't drop them is because they're only normal weapons rather than player weapons.

If you've noticed the player weapon editor, it's basically how the game differentiates item from item due to the copies they possess. If Helswath is made into a player weapon, then it is available for Langbalt to drop, although either you must expand the pointers or replace something else.

Afterwards, you must make the Helswath's player weapon index his droppable item. It should now be the Helswath he drops in Chapter 5 upon defeat.

For the sellability question, truthfully, I do not know.

On 07/02/2017 at 6:01 PM, The Filthy Casual said:

First, can I make it so that the minibosses will drop their holy weapons? For example, Langbalt with the Helswath in chapter 5?

to put it in simpler terms than above, go into the player weapon editor, find an item number that isn't being used in the first generation (or one that is, say, being used by a different enemy and you can swap them) and change that item to the one you want, then give langobalt the item number in question in his third slot of his inventory

I have an updated player equipment textfile that I made here, a few items still aren't labeled but it should alleviate a lot of hassle, just replace the existing ones in the folders with this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rftxtbnlpyabff6/FE4 Player Equipment.txt?dl=1

keep in mind that droppable items in the enemy character data use YOUR inventory list, and since that weapon isn't available in vanilla FE4...

also, as a side note, there is an issue with holy weapons not being inherited by children. I'm unsure how to fix that

If I'm able to do this, can I make it sellable, just in case the wrong character kills him?

if you put the same item number in a shop, or a character somewhere in the current generation owns the item, the boss's item will not be droppable

this can be seen in vanilla FE4 if certain characters inherit items from the first generation that bosses in the second generation drop

for example, corple inheriting the bargain ring, which is carried by a boss in chapter 7; the boss will not drop it because someone owns it, but if you didn't get it in the first generation, it will now be available to you

And if I'm not able to do these things, is it possible to put it in the proper character's inventory after the boss is dead?

this would require event coding instead of a boss item drop (giving an item to a specific character after a certain character dies) and I dunno the event codes necessary, although that sounds like a useful thing to try and learn... alternatively, you can just make holy weapons sellable

On 13/07/2015 at 0:37 PM, Shin said:

If you want to be able to sell Holy Weapons, all you need to do is change the byte at 4B4E7 to 00 from 16. It won't display sell value in shops, but it'll let you buy and sell them as with any other weapon.

Edited by Lamia

• 3 years later...