Which units are the best to use in Sacred Stones?

I know Sacred Stones is quite old, and this topic has probably been covered already, but I want to know which units are the best to use. I just started playing Sacred Stones not too long ago (currently on chapter four), so I want to know who I should bother training. People say Sacred Stones is easy and it doesn't matter who you pick, but I still want to know which units are strong (preferably to carry to the endgame). Side note: I don't mind babying some characters, but I don't like it and wouldn't prefer it. 

Anyone in FE8 can get to the endgame fine, so use who strikes your fancy.

Seth is usually considered the single best unit in the series.  

Lute's pretty awesome.

Bishops get a special skill that grants x3 weapon might when fighting monsters (Moulder, Natasha, and Artur can promote into this class).  Since a good chunk of enemies are monsters, this is incredibly useful.

The lords are quite good, Ephraim in particular.

Everyone in Sacred Stones is good. Seth breaks the game. Lute is pretty amazing and so is Ross.(This is a minority opinion, but the trainees are pretty great. Since you said you prefer not to baby units this probably isn't the choice for you.) Natasha is a great healer and Tana and Joshua are pretty good to.

I agree fully with Seth, Lute, Tana, Joshua, Ephraim, and Natasha. I personally recommend Amelia as well. She is a trainee unit, but you get her pretty early on and she is one of 2 generals you can get. I go with her as her defense is high, she has higher speed then most generals, she also has semi-decent res for a general, and her skill level is good too. Her luck is very good though, she'll take a few levels to be effective but she can carry the team. The other unit I recommend is Gerik.

Erika is the speedier of the two lords, and her campaign is easier of the two, but overall her strength is lacking along with her defense, so I'd go with Ephraim over her tbh, it'd still be wise to train her up some but use Ephraim over her whenever you get both of them together

Train both lords: Eirika can be a bit strength screwed, but she stil tends to turn out fine and Ephraim is stupidly good.

Of the trainees, I think Ross can work fine, even with Hard mode, but Amelia and Ewan are going to find their starts harder, especially in Hard mode.

Really, this game is one case where anyone can work.

Characters in this game range from amazing to good. There are none that are really bad so you can just use who you like the most. 

Seth is amazing but at higher levels he will be slightly weaker than the other potential Paladins. They are all great.

Ross--> Pirate--> Berzerker is really good because Berzerker is an amazing class.

Lute should go Sage and she will probably hit the 30 MAG cap.

Niemi should go Ranger.

Swordmasters are one of the worst classes in the game due to being swordlocked but this doesn't matter so much for casual play. Joshua is better than Marisa in every way.

For casual play Hero!Gerik is amazing. If concerned with turncounts Ranger!Gerik is better.

Cormag is probably the best unit in the game from a stats/mobility standpoint. All of the fliers, except for Syrene, have great potential because of flight.

Erika is really good even though she is sword locked. Ephriam is one of the most dominant Lords in the Fire Emblem franchise in comparison to the enemies/difficulty of their respective games. Use him.

As far as potential stats go, Innes, Rennac, Dozla, and Syrene are probably the 4 worst units in the game, but they are all still good and can hold their own in the endgame with even just their base stats.

L 'arachel, Knoll, Marisa, Ewan, and Amelia will be the most difficult to train up without going to the tower to train them. But they are all good when trained up.

Lute gets great caps as a Sage, but she can really use Mage Knight to her advantage, with the higher con and move in exchange for the caps and light magic that Sage keeps to itself. If you want her to use staves, go with Sage.

Seth, Cormag, Tana, Gierk and Lute are generally quite reliable. 

If you're up for a little bit of babying, Ewan as a Druid, and Amelia a General. They are worth it imo. 

Edited by komasa

Seth, Lute, Natasha, Joshua, Franz, Tana, Vanessa, and Gerik are all good to great. Anyways, as for Ross, Amelia and Ewan, the former is possible to get up to speed without the need for grinding, but the latter two aren't (if you want to use the former of the latter two, I'd recommend Cavalier > Paladin - 3 move and a new weapon type easily trump whatever Knight has to offer).

Seth, Cormag, Eirika, Ephraim, Joshua, Marisa, Vanessa.

@Levant Mir Celestia Paladin dont gain new weapon type. Still sword and lance. Great Knight is pretty good...preference really. Paladin has really low str CAP. personally I like Paladin more... though I wont say 'no' to GK.

Edited by Ryuke

44 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

@Levant Mir Celestia Paladin dont gain new weapon type. Still sword and lance. Great Knight is pretty good...preference really. Paladin has really low str CAP. personally I like Paladin more... though I wont say 'no' to GK.

As far as this game goes, I don't like Great Knights - they are essentially foot units that take worse movement penalties, which defeats the purpose of then being mounted (note that you LOSE movement if you promote from Cavalier to Great Knight).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

As far as this game goes, I don't like Great Knights - they are essentially foot units that take worse movement penalties, which defeats the purpose of then being mounted.

IIRC GK = 7, Paladin = 8... Also they can use 3 weapons.

GK also has high def. But the problem is all the possible GK unit has meh def.(if I remember correctly)

GK comes with armorslayer... that's the problem.

GK have 6 movement in SS, not 7. And their terrain options can be a big problem.

Their double weakness doesn't help, and monsters can have armour and horse weapons.

It's an option I'd consider more for knights than cavaliers to be honest.

18 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

IIRC GK = 7, Paladin = 8... Also they can use 3 weapons.

GK also has high def. But the problem is all the possible GK unit has meh def.(if I remember correctly)

GK comes with armorslayer... that's the problem.

You must've missed my edit, which stated that Cavaliers lose movement when promoting to GK. And I don't see axe access as enough to make up for dual weaknesses and being -2 move from Paladin.

• 2 weeks later...

The pure best:

Seth: No explanation needed.

Franz: You get him at the beginning and if the RNG doesn't screw you he is like a 2nd Seth.

Vanessa: Ferries dudes and visits towns, you feed her exp by killing dudes that somehow survived. Best promotion is Wyvern Knight for Luna skill, because Vanessa's atk stinks.

Moulder: His con is ridiculous and he is available right from the beginning to suck exp with excessive healing. 

Gerik: Super strong character, nuff said. 

Tethys: Dancer shenanigans are strong.

Saleh: He is a nerfed Pent but that is not bad. A body ring and he is golden.

Cormag: Literally Raven if he were a dragon rider. His starting defense and weapon are better as well.  

The rest are filler and the lords are worthless in comparison. Yes, including Ephraim, he suffers from Roy syndrome (everyone promotes around him while he can't and he bites the dust because he doesn't have a horse for the huge maps).

Edited by L9999

I mostly agree (Saleh is not that impressive on Eph!route, but eh), exept for the lord part. Sure, their promotion is story-based, but it's not even close to Roy in terms of timing. Sure, they only have 5 chapters left after promotion (not counting the Lagdou ruins), but unlike Roy, they don't really have huge issues to hold their own until chapter 16 because a) the level curve hasn't risen as high as it has in FE6/ch.23 and b) the enemies in Sacred Stones are weaker in general.

The lower movement does suck, but rescue/drop is still a thing. I guess people tend to overrate Ephraim quite a bit, but imo, he's far from worthless and even one of the better infantry units in the game, especially if you don't care about turncounts.

Bomb ass SS unit list:

Seth: this goes without saying. Hes not the typical Jeigan. Hes solid all game to the point where he could solo it. 

Joshua: My favorite character in this game. Hes fast, he will hit decently hard, and just is a great staple for a footie. Always go Swordmaster with the Hat Man. Assassin is shite.

Gerik: This guy can actually promote as soon as you get him if you are so inclined. His bases are good enough for that. But if you want to let him get to 20 first, hes even more beastly. I prefer Ranger for him because i like the movement, but Hero has axe use and thats good shit. He can be good either way.

Tana: Shes the sturdier peg knight. Vanessa comes sooner and shes great, but Tana is just death with wings. I dont care for putting either in wyvern upon promotion though...but thats just me.

Lute: Probably the strongest magic user in the game. She joins early and has access to staves and a pony. Or if you prefer Sage, she can do that smashingly well too. 

Moulder: Sturdiest healer. My preferred go-to, because of how early he joins and how much hes basically THE BOULDER.

Cormag: Objectively amazing. Not my favorite unit though because i dunno. Im weird that way. This guy has little res. but that wont be a really big deal, even in endgame if you can Barrier staff. 

Vanessa: Your first flier. Shes a bit squishy at first, but she grows well. Her utility early on is too useful to pass up.

Colm: A great utility unit. He joins early so its easier and better to make use of him.

Franz: The best of the three cavs you get. Our Christmas Cavs this time around are kinda meh. Franz offers earlier join time and just plain better stats. Hes great and is like Seth Jr. (he'll also always have more HP than Seth if that matters to you.)

Saleh: Hes a prepromote, but hes good. Very solid especially on Eirika route. He can play backup to Lute very nicely. His staff rank is also decent when you get him.

Tethys: Because refresher unit. That is always bomb ass shit.

Duessel: On Ephraim route, this guy is a stone wall. On Eirika route, hes not that amazing. 

Units to Avoid: 
Sacred Stones isnt a difficult game by any means, but there are units who are pretty damn crap.

The Trainees: Ross is usable because of how early he shows up, so hes the best bet if you wanna use anyone from this lot. While i like Amelia, shes really hard to use and requires grinding to get gud. Ewan is garbage. 

Knoll: This guy is a bit of a mixed bag because he can go Summoner which means he can summon a 1 hp unit to act as a decoy. But you may wonder if its worth it. Knoll outside of that utility, is really bad. 

L'Arachel: is one of my favorites, but she comes midgame and fucking low leveled as hell. Shes a nuke if you can get her to promote but holy shit, shes likely not promoting unless you grind. 

Neimi: Just no. Shes absolute shite. 

Garcia: has his niche but i dont find him worth it. 

Forde: He just seems to never be great. Franz will always be better. Seth will always outstrip this guy too.

Marisa: Unless you really love this character, dont feaking bother.

On 2/16/2017 at 6:57 PM, Ryuke said:

@Levant Mir Celestia Paladin doesn't gain a new weapon type. Still sword and lance. Great Knight is pretty good...preference really. Paladin has really low str CAP. personally I like Paladin more... though I wont say 'no' to GK.

The Str cap isn't actually much lower (compare 23 Str to 26 for girls, 25 to 28 for guys). And Amelia's stats won't be much different as a Great Knight compared to her as a Paladin. And if a trained Amelia's gonna be a speedster that has no business fighting bosses no matter what route she goes, you might as well make her a Paladin.

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem I've had with Vanessa, is that if she uses Pierce (which is not Luna, Pierce = ignore def and Luna = 50% def/res) while wielding the S-Rank lance Vidofnir on the final boss on EP without being in kill range and she's able to double him, then you'll break the game.

the full Pierce animation takes shorter then the boss' HP bar to drop and because she still has to do an attack the command gets send, but blocked because the HP bar is not done yet and it's never send again so the game just stops. no freeze or anything, music continues normal, just nothing happens after and you need to reset #TrueStory.