Forced to redownload 400 MB update occasionally

Nadaph

I was wondering if this has been an issue for anyone else. Usually this is a minor inconvenience for me but when I wanted to play without a wifi connection today this was a problem for me and I started looking into it. I obviously have downloaded it before, but it randomly redownloads the patch anyway and it has happened since the game launched but only in the past couple days has it become persistent. I think that it's a bug they'll patch out soon, but if anyone has had this problem and/or has found a solution to it I would be appreciative of the help. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Suichimo said:

Are you rerolling?

Nope, I did that when I first started and it made sense to redownload the patch. This is just normal play, opening the app and finding the patch again.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

What kind of phone do you have?

iPhone 5c on iOS 8. Yeah, I know the phone is a brick. At least it works :D I did consider this to be a possibility as my friend who has a 6s (I think, it's newer, that's all I know) never has this problem.

As, uh, mean as this sounds. . .have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?  My iPhone occasionally does weird things, and a restart tends to fix it.

In all honesty that's what I should have tried in the first place. It seems to be working now, but I'll have to wait and see what it does tomorrow as it's random when it decides to update. I'll be back if the problems persist, thanks!

So the problem occurred again, but I noticed it in relation to something else which was really interesting.

So my phone is jailbroken and I use tsProtect 8+ to play, otherwise it would crash. I usually set an alarm on my phone at night and to prevent it from being screwed up I put my phone into safe mode. When I brought it out of safe mode I had to reinstall the patch. I turned off my phone and turned it back on and the problem was still there and it's sitting at 91% right now. This doesn't really point to anything, but it's certainly interesting.

Edit: Happened again with no respring/boot from safe mode. I'm at a loss at this point.

Edited by Nadaph

I think I found a solution.

Short answer: Make sure you have plenty of room for the 400 mb patch, if you have your phone full of stuff the patch will constantly have to download

So I got to a point that closing the game required me to redownload everything, so I went spelunking in the two feet of cave that is the iPhone settings. I found that my Fire Emblem Heroes storage was only 78.4 mb, standard size with no patch, not the 596 mb it is with the patch. I saw that I had about 200 mb left on my phone and I went on cleaning everything, eventually freeing up 1.3 Gb of room. I'm currently downloading the patch, and will update if I find something.

My theory is that it is part of the game's cache as clearing the cache from the game wipes the massive patch. This means that the patch will be written over or deleted if the phone needs to, or that to play it needs to download the patch and hold it in ram, which would not surprise me cause when I last downloaded the patch it was stuttering and slow, which would happen from sharing so much ram space.

I highly recommend keeping an eye on your phone's storage to prevent this from happening if you run your phone near capacity a lot or have little storage to begin with. Hopefully this helps others with the problem.

It's most likely a space issue.

I had the same problem, around when my phone was getting low in space. It turns out I had a pending iOS update downloader downloaded into my phone without me knowing, so FE: Heroes would frequently need to redownload the 400 MB multiple times in the day (the worst was 2 times in the same hour!)

After freeing up the space, this didn't happen again for me :)

• 7 months later...
On 2/8/2017 at 7:49 AM, Nadaph said:

I was wondering if this has been an issue for anyone else. Usually this is a minor inconvenience for me but when I wanted to play without a wifi connection today this was a problem for me and I started looking into it. I obviously have downloaded it before, but it randomly redownloads the patch anyway and it has happened since the game launched but only in the past couple days has it become persistent. I think that it's a bug they'll patch out soon, but if anyone has had this problem and/or has found a solution to it I would be appreciative of the help. Thanks!

I have the same problem and I have an iPhone 6s ios 11 and about 2gb of extra storage, I tried turning my phone on and off (obviously) I also tried deleting and downloading it (linking my nintendo account) but nothing worked.