New Lord Ideas

Jotari

So there's a topic going on the lord's personality, but I'd like to give some thought to what potential lords could we see in terms of their role or position in the world. They've struct pretty rigidly to the prince(ss) or high noble concept thus far in the series with Alm, Ike, Micaiah and (sort of) Robin being the only real exceptions. What potentially out there ideas can you think of? Like for example, what if we had a Pirate Lord. Instead of being the heir of some official kingdom, the lord was the heir to a vast pirate fleet. Or maybe a Wyvern rider lord. All the mounts we've see so far have been nameless and the equivalent of motorcycles for the lord. Plus in terms of gameplay flying would just be a great utility for lords. Anyway I'd like to see what cool and unique ideas people can come up with.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated, a Lord who's not a noble. By that, I meant a bandit or mercenary. Personality wise they would a bit rough and tumble: quick to use violence as a solution. They would start the war for selfish reasons, but ultimately do the right thing in the end. It'd be nice if they'd use Axes. They should also be female.

Edited by Gima

How is Micaiah not a noble? She's the older sister of the Empress of Begnion (granted she, and the player, doesn't know this at the beginning of the game, but regardless this fact still makes her a noble).

32 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

How is Micaiah not a noble? She's the older sister of the Empress of Begnion (granted she, and the player, doesn't know this at the beginning of the game, but regardless this fact still makes her a noble).

Because the fact that she doesn't know it means her character's position and circumstances are completely different to the rest of the protagonists. Alm and Robin are in the exact same circumstance in that regard. Or  maybe to put it another way, Micaiah's character shares more similarities with Ike than Roy since she's not an educated heiress fighting due to family expectations.

Edited by Jotari

An arrogant Lord is something i would like to see FE tackle, it's an idea that lends itself for simple, but satisfying character development if done right and it would set the Lord apart from previous ones.

IS will never make a pirate lord because they hate axes.

For whatever reason, I hate it when lords are mounted(Except for FE4 because you can't hate mounts in that game), so I don't know if I'd want a wyvern lord.

As I mentioned in the personality thread, I like the Ike concept, where the lord really isn't anyone of high standing, just somebody who learned from the best warrior in the world. I mean, Ike DID end up being special, but I like the concept of just a normal dude who raises raises up from nothing and saves the world.

1 hour ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I want a lord that rejects their nobility and flees the castle/palace/etc.

A bow lord would be cool, if they made archers viable

So like Joshua being the main character?

I would like a lord like the one YouSquiddinMe said a lord like Alibaba Saluja from Magi.

I'd definitely like to a pirate queen with a cutlass. Depending on how out there IS is feeling, I'd be interested in seeing them bring the series into a slightly more modern setting just for this instalment and have bows replaced by flintlock pistols, but that's just my own fantasy.

Anyway, a pirate lord would also be good for new progression, since they can sail nearly anywhere. Above all, I want the lord to be a female with no other male lords hogging the spotlight, because the series is long overdue for something like that. In terms of the main plot pushing a romance between her and the Avatar, I would rather they didn't. It was nice in Fates with Azura who, let's be honest, was the real lord of that game, but I think a more traditional, front-and-centre, non-Avatar lord should be able to have their own Support options (though I wouldn't mind the Lord having a same-sex marriage option or options, or even exclusively same sex marriages, if that's what IS wants to give them).

2 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I want a lord that rejects their nobility and flees the castle/palace/etc.

A bow lord would be cool, if they made archers viable

As much as I love her sword animations, for a while now I've been thinking it would have been better if Lyn was a bow lord. Not only does Eliwood use swords too but if she had more bow focus then you could have easily given her Murgleis for the final battle instead of some random sword Athos has that's super powerful yet conveniently never mentioned anywhere else.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

As much as I love her sword animations, for a while now I've been thinking it would have been better if Lyn was a bow lord. Not only does Eliwood use swords too but if she had more bow focus then you could have easily given her Murgleis for the final battle instead of some random sword Athos has that's super powerful yet conveniently never mentioned anywhere else.

Come to think of it, there are unused animations of her using the Durandal, and in Binding Blade, Eliwood (unlockable for trial maps) had an S Rank in lances and only A in swords. Maybe he was originally supposed to be a lance wielder, to complete the weapon triangle with Hector and Lyn, and he would have gotten Maltet for the last battle.

Anyways, back to the topic: I had an idea for a lord who's some kind of mage, and the apprentice of a great sage. They are unrelated to the continent's political situation, but the various faction want them to pick a side, because that sage - and his student - are seen as important by the people of the world, and are said to hold important secrets. He/she wants to find a way to not become a pawn of one of the nations who want to use their abilities as a weapon.

2 minutes ago, Night Zap said:

Come to think of it, there are unused animations of her using the Durandal, and in Binding Blade, Eliwood (unlockable for trial maps) had an S Rank in lances and only A in swords. Maybe he was originally supposed to be a lance wielder, to complete the weapon triangle with Hector and Lyn, and he would have gotten Maltet for the last battle.

Anyways, back to the topic: I had an idea for a lord who's some kind of mage, and the apprentice of a great sage. They are unrelated to the continent's political situation, but the various faction want them to pick a side, because that sage - and his student - are seen as important by the people of the world, and are said to hold important secrets. He/she wants to find a way to not become a pawn of one of the nations who want to use their abilities as a weapon.

So, basically Markl

Image result for howl's moving castle markl disguise

Haven't seen that movie in ages. My clearest memory of it is that it went way over my head when I was a kid and I had no idea what was going on.

I was actually thinking of something like Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Assuming noble birth with a lord that actually lives as one, a mage fits. Since nobles are so well learned compared to commoners

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

They've struct pretty rigidly to the prince(ss) or high noble concept thus far in the series with Alm, Ike, Micaiah and (sort of) Robin being the only real exceptions. 

Spoiler

Well... spoilers for Gaiden/Echoes, Radiant Dawn, and Awakening but

Alm and Micaiah are both revealed to be royalty at the end of their respective games. Robin being primed by the grimleal since birth to be the vessel of Grima is about as close as you can get to "noble birth" in all ways but name. Trust that being basically the second coming of Christ would be a league above kingship, as kings historically are only kings by claiming to be descendants of gods, not the gods themselves. Robin no doubt lived every day with no hardships before losing his memories. Ike is the only non-royal lord. His father clearly had status in Daein, but threw it away. 

Alm and Micaiah being ignorant of their heritage doesn't change the thematic arc for their character. The noble birth trope matters because it's shorthand for destiny, chosen ones, and self fulfilled prophecies. "Oh, you were this perfect before you found out your heritage? You're amazing!". Even Ike does not escape being the "chosen one", but that's more a result of Radiant Dawn's final act writing than a problem with Ike's character. That having been said, I'd only prefer a non noble protagonist for the sake of breaking the mold. While Underdog stories about rising against your oppressors can be great, so can tales of politics and strife from the viewpoints of people that cause them. Fire Emblem has had some great characters result from this angle in the past, and they could do it again.

Edited by Gustavos

19 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Alm and Miciah are both revealed to be royalty at the end of their respective games.

Off topic, but could you spoiler tag this one please? I know several people, myself included, haven't played the original Gaiden, and this just spoiled my hype for Echoes somewhat. ;^;

Edited by InfinityAlex

A thief lord that is not idealistic. I don't mind about one with a Robin Hood complex, but maybe a lord that has his own problems (whether they are related or unrelated to the conflict/civil war/whatever that is happening in the continent) and goals.

(Note: I'm referring to these lords as males, but I would actually like them to be female, provided they are not the incarnation of fanservice. A Lyn/Celica/Eirika/Micaiah type lord, in that sense).

Another idea would be a lord that acts for vengeance (I believe Tekun from Blazer's The Last Promise hack had something similar with his father, but he was not a lord). For example, he starts in a village trying to get information about his enemy, then he moves somewhere else where he discovers that his enemy is part of the army and decides to enlist to have the opportunity to fight him, and so on.

Another dream of mine that I got from watching the Blue Dragon anime about a month ago was having an informant as the main character/one of the main characters. Maybe he could act as a supporting unit, but as Homeron (from the above mentioned Blue Dragon) demonstrated, he may even have weaponry that is exclusive to him.

Something I can't believe no one has already thought of is a religious lord. He or she would travel a continent (before, during or after a conflict of sorts for example) to create/restore the faith of both common people and nobility in whatever gods or holy people they worship/used to worship.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

At least Lyn can use Sol Katti in her actual game, unlike Murgleis.  Anyways, she's obviously a sword focused unit (bows only coming in promotion, and while I know they gave some of their characters their secondary weapons like Raven, none of the focus characters have that treatment AFAIK), and Manni Katti was her signature weapon.  It makes sense for her final weapon to be what is essentially a better version of that.

1 hour ago, InfinityAlex said:

Off topic, but could you spoiler tag this one please? I know several people, myself included, haven't played the original Gaiden, and this just spoiled my hype for Echoes somewhat. ;^;

ngh...my apologies. That was insensitive to have written like that.

56 minutes ago, Goddess Serra said:

(Note: I'm referring to these lords as males, but I would actually like them to be female, provided they are not the incarnation of fanservice. A Lyn/Celica/Eirika/Micaiah type lord, in that sense).

Lyn wears no underwear, and Eirika is in a miniskirt and knee high boots. Put a bow or a tie on Eirika's chestpiece and it's basically a garishly colored schoolgirl outfit with a cape. While I understand that's not as much skin showing as camilla or azura, if they existed in games with 3D models and not just 2D spritework, they'd be pointed to as pretty fanservice-y. Micaiah at least manages to be drawn with attractive wear despite the inclusion of long pants.

A female lead is always appreciated, as long as they walk this fine line of balance.  Female corrin's inner thigh and feet being bare in her armor is questionable but you can make up an explanation for yourself regarding dragon transformations and enchanted clothing, even if the game doesn't care to give you one. But the quickest way to ruin her in story sequences is to reclass her to a cavalier. It's hard to take her seriously when most camera angles are of behind Corrin as she's wearing a thong between actual armor pieces. When it comes to female wear, no design would feasibly satisfy everybody until you've decided not to draw her as attractive. But you can't make an unattractive female lead without cutting into sales, so it's a bad position to be in.

Edited by Gustavos

Villager lord? Have a story about war from a at first non-important but still charismatic civilian's side would be great.

I also wish there was a war correspondent main character who covers different perspectives in the war.

But I definitely prefer 'the lord to go through character growth that comes with going on a long ass journey' idea. And have qualities that are interesting and nuanced beyond just ticking the likable personality traits list. One of the reasons why I find the discussions around Micaiah's character is because of that. 

And please no stupid armour design for a female lord. We have enough of that in games. Please IS, I'm begging you.  

I'm not expecting anything "new" in terms of a different personality from all the Lords we have to this point or do I think its necessary since all Lords are fine imo I'm not bringing up my expectations until 2018 until we get info but I personally like a full central Female Lord like Celica, Lyn, Eirika and Micaiah back don't care how she'll be just not like F!Corrin though.

6 hours ago, Refa said:

At least Lyn can use Sol Katti in her actual game, unlike Murgleis.  Anyways, she's obviously a sword focused unit (bows only coming in promotion, and while I know they gave some of their characters their secondary weapons like Raven, none of the focus characters have that treatment AFAIK), and Manni Katti was her signature weapon.  It makes sense for her final weapon to be what is essentially a better version of that.

Eh...Of course she's a sword focus unit. You hardly think I missed that fact playing the game given that she's sword locked at first tier (and like every depiction of her features a sword). I was saying it could have been more interesting if she was a bow focused unit instead of a sword focused one.

12 hours ago, OakTree said:

An arrogant Lord is something i would like to see FE tackle, it's an idea that lends itself for simple, but satisfying character development if done right and it would set the Lord apart from previous ones.

I want something like this as well.

As I've stated on a previous thread, I want a spoiled brat of a lord. Why is it that all the lords are humble, charismatic goody-two shoes that automatically understands the struggles of the commoner people? Surely it isn't impossible to imagine a young lordling as haughty and pampered. Why do the lords always skip a step in becoming a loving and just ruler? I would like a story where we see that journey. I would love to see a lord that starts off unappreciative of the little people - one that is naive, though I hate using that word thanks to the negative connotation Corrin gives it - and ignorant to the true burden they will have to bare once they take on the crown of their kingdom. A story of an ignorant child prince(ss) growing into a mature ruler through sweating, bleeding and crying from the trials and tribulations brought about by war, politics and responsibility: that is what want.

5 hours ago, Gustavos said:

ngh...my apologies. That was insensitive to have written like that.

Lyn wears no underwear, and Eirika is in a miniskirt and knee high boots. Put a bow or a tie on Eirika's chestpiece and it's basically a garishly colored schoolgirl outfit with a cape. While I understand that's not as much skin showing as camilla or azura, if they existed in games with 3D models and not just 2D spritework, they'd be pointed to as pretty fanservice-y. Micaiah at least manages to be drawn with attractive wear despite the inclusion of long pants.

A female lead is always appreciated, as long as they walk this fine line of balance.  Female corrin's inner thigh and feet being bare in her armor is questionable but you can make up an explanation for yourself regarding dragon transformations and enchanted clothing, even if the game doesn't care to give you one. But the quickest way to ruin her in story sequences is to reclass her to a cavalier. It's hard to take her seriously when most camera angles are of behind Corrin as she's wearing a thong between actual armor pieces. When it comes to female wear, no design would feasibly satisfy everybody until you've decided not to draw her as attractive. But you can't make an unattractive female lead without cutting into sales, so it's a bad position to be in.

You could go the Metroid route and stick her in full armour with a helmet. Actually for an avatar that would be a really good way to get around the fact that FMVs awkwardly never show your avatar fully because they don't know what his/her face looks like.

I'd like one of the following:

1 - Bow lord - Like, they start out with bows.

2 - Jackass - A lord that is cocky, snappy, and a bit of an asshole. Basically another shinon, but a lord with progressive character traits.

3 - A criminal - This one is the outlier for the Idea.  Now, think about this:  He/She is not a lord - but someone sentenced to death for a treasonous act or horrible crime committed, and he or she is sentenced to death. However, due to some "partners" who have the will and strength to help, this criminal escapes execution, and somehow gets tied into a war. Thus growing and redeeming himself/herself in the process.  (Standard FE plot of bigger and darker things going on behind the scene, maybe a new perspective on the Fire Emblem itself, etc.)  This protagonist formula brings back grey morality in a light that is quite rare for fire emblem games.  Sure, we've had bad people be playable characters in the past, or be side characters, but protagonists?  That's something I'd like to see.

EDIT: If we get all three in one, I don't care how everything else is.  It's like an actual unique character

Edited by Lord Tullus