What Makes A Character Boring?

Raumata

What personality traits turn you away from liking a character?

What sort of character interactions would make you like or dislike a character?

How would you rewrite the character, so that they'd be better developed?

I've been inspired to make this topic, so that I could better understand what it is like to hate a character of a popular work. (for example, if someone thought characters like Superman and Tim Drake were boring.)

Edited by Raumata

Boring or that I dislike? Because if it's boring, what makes a character boring to me is them not having any really interesting or meaningful interactions. IE, every "aloof" character in almost every anime ever. Where they are needlessly aloof to the point that it's jarring to watch them interact with other people if they even do, and most of the time their "tragic" reason for behaving that way isn't even that bad. 

For the most part, I don't like self-righteous characters. It's not enough for a character to simply believe their perspective is the correct one but they acknowledge that there are other opinions besides their own, it's characters that take a "I'm right you're wrong mentality for everything." IE, a character that always stands on some moral pedestal while knocking everyone else down. It's some of the reason I don't particularly like the Tales of Abyss cast because everyone in that game seems to suffer from that really badly (well there's one character that doesn't but I won't say which one because of spoilers).  Whining can be annoying too as a trait. Because again, what warrants whining is all in perspective. So I don't want to see it if I can avoid it. 

Generally speaking, it's not often a personality of the sort that turns me away from a character, it's more so the responses characters have to other characters that ultimately make me not like a character. IE, if a character is a jerk but everyone appropriately reacts to them, the jerk can be entertaining. IE, Mr. Jameson from Spider Man is a huge jerk, but people react to him appropriately so he ends up becoming hilarious. When you have characters making decisions with no ramifications or the world seems to contort itself to ensure that the character is "right," it's annoying.

What character in question are we talking about rewriting, because I can't say how I'd rewrite a character in general (if at all!).

Predictability is the number one killer for me. You know, the types of characters who just scream "I've seen this before" whenever they appear onscreen. A character can be cliche without being predictable though, and it's usually enough to save them in my mind. The way they would do this is through interactions, backstory, and other things that would give them enough personal flair to make it interesting despite the fact that the character archetype itself might be a common one. 

Another thing that can really make or break a character is believabitlity. Characters should never be perfect, because this in turn will make them both predictable and unrelatable, which is basically a death sentence in my eyes. Even comic book heroes, often superhuman beings with powers well beyond a normal human, usually have some sort of inner struggle that makes them feel human in a lot of ways. If it's part of their character to think that they are indeed perfect, then the supporting characters need to make up for this by their treatment of said character. A character doesn't have to be relatable to to avoid being boring (I.E a character like the Joker who is basically insane, Jonah Jameson being a prick like Augustein said), but it certainly never hurt. Believability shouldn't be compromised however, because if I can't believe that this character could exist in whatever universe they're from, then I'm inclined to be a lot less interested in whatever antics they may be up to. 

If I find a character boring, it's because they do nothing or have no traits I find interesting or notable, positive or negative, but that's actually not enough to make me completely dislike them.  Just make me go "meh, whatever" and ignore them.  The real qualifier is whether they're hogging the spotlight away from other less boring characters to continue being... well, boring.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

52 minutes ago, Augestein said:

What character in question are we talking about rewriting, because I can't say how I'd rewrite a character in general (if at all!).

Just ones from a series (invested in enough to know the world and the little details) you like or hate, where there are certain characters you find to be either boring or you dislike them in some way.

Edited by Raumata

what makes a character boring for me, is when theirs little or no point to the character existing. Lucina for instance only exists to serve the time travel narrative of awakening, but if she where to be removed from the plot then what happens would largely remain the same and could have potentially been even better once accounting for the one or two plot points that she contributes to that could have been given easy alternative solutions or simply have been removed from the plot entirely to construct a more focused or interesting narrative. Essentially I find characters that contribute little, nothing, or pointless things to the world building or are only there because of or to justify plot devices to be very boring, especially if the thematic significance they have is unimportant, Lucina again as example is heavily tied thematically to the ideas of family and sacrifice and that's about it, with both of these ideas already having superior coverage in other areas of the games story.

Essentially I find characters that exist only as characters or as justification for plot devices that don't need to be there to be very boring. Even if there is little to no substance behind a character they should at least be important to the world or themes, important to the plot not the plot being important to them.

I get bored with a character If I feel like the character's personality is dictated (more than the normal amount) by the marketing team. Cute characters are normal offenders. I think people exaggerate when it comes to cool characters though. It's really easy to differentiate between "cool" and "rule of cool" type characters imo. 

Rewriting these kind of characters can be done playfully- you could have a character who is "genuinely" cool/cute who gets confused because of people being oblivious or not showing the attention they think they deserve. You can make a normal character (or a cartoonishly dorky/ugly) get treated as if they were appealing (either surreally or with the flatterers trying to abuse their vanity). You could even have a formerly cute character get addicted to their praise, and grow monstrous in their demand for more. 

Of course if you are not going for comedy and want to fix a character that stands out- you can also just reconcile them the other way around- make  the theme universe in general more cool (not necessarily a memetic world of badass) to prevent them looking to over the top compared to the other guys. You should also watch out for "near magic detective work" It might be fun for some batman stories/Code Geass, but can appear tacky if not done very stylistically.  You could also defang an individual fight scene by explaining afterwards (or during battle if you have narration/internal thoughts) by showing that the character surprised themselves and doesn't expect to pull off what they do or just barely made it through. Maybe show them exhausted or in need of medical attention even. In general when I get worried about if my characters "show off" I set the bar at about Indiana Jones level for fighters/ingenuity, and Colombo for detective work/strategizing. I find if my characters are more resourceful than them, then some people will feel like "they win because the writer made them win" and not because "they fought/planned better" especially if they won against an established antagonist that would normally beat them easily..

One thing that makes characters incredibly boring to me is if they are relatively normal characters in an over the top setting. If they end up playing the straight man then its alright but if they do not then you end up with a character that just doesn't fit in with their wacky surroundings. 

The main hero and villain from Disgaea 5 are a perfect example. They come off as characters from a regular Shonen anime and the main villain might make for a good antagonist in a Tales game but these serious and very grounded characters inhabit a world full of eccentric and wacky characters, a world where an average  attack might just destroy the moon or a solar system so it just doesn't fit. 
The other disgaea main characters were an extremely bratty demon who got weaker when near big breasted woman or positive expressions, a mad scientist boy or a very eccentric vampire who is a trainee for the series punching bags and who invades government buildings when they make a typo. In contrast Killia is just a serious guy with a dead love interest and a superpowered dark side. Boring!

Another example is Kojiro from Sengoku Basara who's a serious guy defined by his loyalty to his master. When that character exist is a setting where giant robots beat up gorilla warlords or where a biker Samurai screams ''Put ya guns on!'' then the serious Kojuro comes off as incredibly dull. 

As for dislike, I tend to greatly dislike a character when there is a disconnect on how the plot wants us to view that character and what that character actually is. 

God of war wants us to root for Kratos and to feel good for him when he gets his revenge but all the story is actually giving us is a guy who has no problem destroying the world over a temper tantrum. Every time Kratos kills a god natural disaster happens until the world is a scorched wasteland. Kratos is okay with this because he feels he earned his ''revenge'' but the reason he has it out for the gods is because Zeus killed him....because Kratos wouldn't stop massacring the Greeks if Zeus hadn't done that. Even the later plot twists just don't change the fact that Kratos was killed because he was a violent spycho and that he earned the ''betrayal'' that killed him.

Another example is Sasuke from Naruto. At one point in the story he has become an international terrorist who kills innocent people, wants to assassinate world leaders, kidnaps family members of world leader and who already joined a madman out to destroy his homeland even before that. When the controversial new leader Danzo does his job and puts a bounty on Sasuke this gets treated as yet another signal of Danzo being up to no good. 

Pretty sure Kratos is supposed to be the villain.  I don't even like his character but I feel like you're missing the point.

On 9-2-2017 at 4:45 PM, Refa said:

Pretty sure Kratos is supposed to be the villain.  I don't even like his character but I feel like you're missing the point.

I don't think he is supposed to be the villain actually. His relation with the girl resembling his daughter, the plot twist about the gods, Kratos final moments in the game and Pandora's little speech all point in the direction of Kratos being in the ''right''. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Mary Sue like...majority of current anime and Hollywood main characters. Kids nowadays dont care about the story of struggle of a flawed character, they only care who is more cool and kick more ass. At least some dozen years ago, badass dudes like Kenshiro and Jojo are really badass and convincing, nowadays we have jesus kirito who can act and say the dumbest thing and is still badass no matter what.

9 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think he is supposed to be the villain actually. His relation with the girl resembling his daughter, the plot twist about the gods, Kratos final moments in the game and Pandora's little speech all point in the direction of Kratos being in the ''right''. 

Fair enough, never really thought about it like that before.

11 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The thing is, Kratos never cared about any of that, and even Pandora's speech didn't really reach him until she dies more or less as a direct result of his actions. For God of War 1, he had a semi-justifiable reason for taking up issue with Ares(Ares manipulated Kratos' brutality and rage to goad Kratos into killing his wife and daughter), and Ares WAS a bad guy. He's loosely an "anti-hero" in this game.

God of War 2, he's more or less straight up a villain. Once again, the gods manipulate him to showcase his flaws, and he falls for it completely. Now completely pissed at EVERYBODY, he basically goes on a roaring rampage driven really by nothing more than his own ego, kills several Greek heroes, and kills off gods one by one, knowing that by doing stuff like killing Poseidon will flood Athens(And possibly the world), killing Hades will cause the dead to come back and ghosts to raise, and killing Apollo will cast the world into eternal darkness. Literal world ending stuff.

The Greek gods were assholes, but they were keeping the world in check, and once Ares was out of the picture, they were separated from humanity, not having much of a direct impact beyond making sure everyone was alive. Kratos, on the other hand, was fine killing as many people as possible, both directly and indirectly, so long as he could quench his rage boner. Kratos, in the grand scheme of things, was very much the villain for ALL of GoW2 and most of GoW3. Until the very end, where he suddenly thinks that the hope from Pandora and Pandora's Box should belong to the people and not the gods, or whatever. I forget. The end of GoW 3 is really dumb and sappy.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Boring characters are just characters who just have poorly explained motivations, no outstanding personality traits, and no real character growth. It can overlap, but is usually different from a character with just a bunch of bad traits, poor writing, and awful motivations. Kratos, while we're on the subject, would be both a bad and a boring character. The writing of his character past the first game is poor, and almost everything he does after the opening of 2 makes little to no sense. He never learns or grows, and he just stays exactly the same for both games as he rips through every man, woman, and god in his way for no real adequate reason. Again, until the very end when his heart grows three times its size because of Pandora Lou Who, and he gives the world hope out of nowhere.

Edited by Slumber

Characters that are one dimensional are the ones I find boring/dislike, like ones that are shown as "perfect" and don't learn from their mistakes or have any flaws that they will admit to.  I like characters that grow and learn from their mistakes like the guys in Saiyuki, even the "bad guys" have real reasons for doing what they are doing in that manga and anime, but when I watch some of the newer popular anime the characters tend to not change or grow over time and tend to not be developed like they should be.  It's the same with the books I read I am to the point where I just read authors that I know unless someone I know highly recommends a new book because I like well developed characters.

As to how I would rewrite a character I find boring I guess I would delve in to their character more, explain why they act the way they do and what their motivation is for doing what they are in the story.

Any characters that are cliche or annoying in general. Unless they get character development and become mature.

I also find edgy characters or jerk characters (such as say...Zuko from Avatar (?) and Duckman, respectively) to be boring, and mostly unlikable. I mean, I get that most edgy characters have some tragic past, but really, I really don't like them to be angry all the time in every episode to exist.

• 1 month later...

I guess I would differentiate between boring characters and forgettable ones.  Forgettable characters would be a lot of background characters and others who tend to have very little screen time, or whose screen time just doesn't make much of an impact.  For instance, in the Harry Potter series, this would cover the vast majority of Hogwarts students besides Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Draco.  Most of them exist just to keep the halls of the school from getting too empty, and that's it.  They're not very memorable, but that doesn't make them boring.

Boring characters would be more characters that make dread having to read/watch/play through their portions of the story.  The prime example I can think of here is in the Wheel of Time series.  (Not sure if this will spoil anything, so we'll use a tag just in case.)

Spoiler

Throughout the course of the series, we follow three main characters and approximately 782,988 supporting characters.  The main characters consist of Mat, the loveable rogue who tends to have interesting interactions with luck and fate, and generally just makes his portions of the story fun to read; Perrin, who has a lot of epically heroic moments and the whole wolf thing, which makes his story portions tend towards exciting and dramatic; and Rand whose story portions just tend to drag on and on as he comes to terms with being a massive Mary Sue and contemplates a prophecy which, in keeping with fantasy tradition, doesn't mean what every single person who hears it assumes that it means.

Rand's portions of the story were usually slow and tedious with little in the way of plot advancement (just rehashing what had already been discussed before), and made me constantly flip forward to see how many more pages I was going to be subjected to it.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it tends to be the main characters who don't seem particularly special to me and tend to overshadow what looks to be a more interesting cast. 

Ichigo from Bleach is a huge one for me here. He just does the same thing again and again and again and eventually everyone in his universe just seems to fawn over him to the point where it detracts from their actual characters. I originally liked his character until the whole universe became about him. 

I found the same about Ike in FE9 and 10... I used to like him in FE9 but he became so overblown in the second game (seriously, only he can land the final hit?), he overshadows all the new cast and other characters, and then becomes overhyped by the fandom. 

So those sorts of characters are the biggest boring ones to me, since I want to learn more about other characters and they hog all the limelight without bringing anything I see as particularly special to the table. Some might call them Mary-Sues / Gary-Stus, but I think that label can be overused so I don't tend to put it on them, and I'm not sure all the characters I find boring might be considered such. 

• 1 month later...

For me it's a few things: how they interact with their surroundings, how they relate to other characters, and whether or not they, to put it simply, can fuck up.

The quickest way to make me detach from a character is to give them no impact on or connections to what's going on around them. If a character is in a setting I, as a viewer, am unfamiliar with, then I want to see how they experience it. Even if it is a setting that I would know (like the town in Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy, for instance  - a small rural Canadian town with a lot of regional nuances and very little adult supervision? Exactly the scenario I grew up in) then I still want to see how they interpret and experience the things happening around them.

(This is gonna be a huge rant, so spoilered for space.)

Spoiler

To use a Fire Emblem example, a lot of people on here give Ike a hard time for his Stu-like qualities, and I agree he has those, but I have a hard time disliking him because I enjoy learning about the Tellius worldbuilding through him. I like seeing how he treats the mercs and the Laguz, what he thinks of the political war, etc. On the other hand, I have zero attachment to Elincia because, even though we spend a lot of time with her too, I feel like she has almost no commentary on any of that. What she gives us and tells us is directly related to the people closest to her, and to herself, and that's...about it. But for me, there's more fun to be had when you have characters like Ike and his frat boys - characters who mostly exist in the same circumstances within the game, but who interpret the things happening to them as a group so, so differently. How Oscar and Shinon interact with Laguz units (the same one, actually, since they both have some really entertaining supports with Janaff) gives context to that relation as a generic Beorc/Laguz relationship, to how Oscar approaches the situation, to how Shinon approaches the situation, and to how Janaff himself acts when he goes through the same thing twice with two wildly different people. 

And that leads into my next point - characters who shut themselves out from building more relationships to focus on only the most important ones. Someone mentioned Kirito earlier in this thread, and yeah, he's a bad example of that. Of course, he has his shallow friendships with whatever fuckin characters, I don't even remember all of their names, Klein and...whoever. But they're so generic and one-sided - all of them are "friend is impressed by everything Kirito does and then he kind of snarks at them, but not really." The only people that matter to him at all are Asuna and whoever the bad guy is. There's nothing to explore there beyond that, and on top of that, he suffers from the horrible writing sin where even those relationships aren't that interesting. He loves Asuna a lot and hates the bad guys. It's so standard and bland, I can't help but consider characters who treat their friends and enemies differently than the most expected route. How would Usagi Tsukino act in his setting? Much differently, because her character develops in a way that allows for further exploration than "bad guys = bad, blragrh ba d g utgys". I like that she's openly jealous of some of her friends, openly attracted to other ones, and that her missions play out differently based on who she has with her at any given time. Or what about Ryuko Matoi, the theoretical opposite approach? Here we have a character who actually does try to shut out all but one or two people, but the narrative of Kill la Kill lets every other character develop around her even when she isn't directly interacting with them. The end result of that was an incredibly likeable and well-rounded cast that, when Ryuko finally accepted their assistance and let them into her life, felt like an actual family. 

Finally, I don't think I should need to explain why characters need to be able to make mistakes. If they don't, then the plot will inevitably start bending itself around them to allow them to continue their ways without needing to stop and criticize themselves. It makes other characters look bad when they make inexplicable, out-of-character judgement calls to let the protagonist do whatever it is they gotta do. And yes, I'm aware I previously excused Ike for this, but I won't pretend he wouldn't be so much better if this didn't happen with him. If the character is providing entertaining enough insight to me that I can at least enjoy the fictional universe through them, then I don't mind them not screwing up enough. However, if they're just kind of a dead-eyed flesh husk who doesn't really seem to give a shit about commenting on the plot and just lets it happen around them, then I start gagging. They don't even have to have an active role in moving that plot along. They just have to have something interesting to say about it.

I think that's everything!! Sorry it got so lengthy. At least now you have a new novel for your rainy days, haha.

• 4 weeks later...

When characters stay roughly the same or develop little, if nothing at all.

I couldn't stand Hikari Shinji because for the entirety of Evangelion he is depressed and moping around despite almost the entire cast rooting and supporting him, Asuka, the girl for whom he harbors romantic feelings for, responding well to him and making advances, as well as him having a successful career as an EVA pilot. The only thing he shows to care about is his father, who was an asshole everytime he was on screen and treated him like dirt. Then he proceeds to consider a guy who he just met 15 minutes ago as the only person who truly understood him and the best friend he ever had, despite all the rooting he previously received from characters that supposedly were dear to him (what happened to his romantic feelings for Asuka?) until he forgot about them entirely after falling into crippling depression again. He's an Eeyore on early Evangelion, a slightly better Eeyore on mid Eva and he's back to square one near the end.

I hope the End of Evangelion movies have a different, more developped Shinji.

Oh, and characters like Kururugi Suzaku, who stubbornly stand up for the most ridiculous things while pretending that their reasoning is sound even though he sees living contradictions to it every single day, making them unlikable hypocrites whose faces you feel like punching every time they're on screen. For people who don't know him or Code Geass, he's basically the equivalent of a jew who chose to become a nazi to change Nazi Germany's government for the better from the inside, despite seeing jews like him being sent to concentration camps and being treated badly daily. Characters can be stupid, but it starts bothering me when it feels like he's being forced to hold the Stupid Ball(TM) and ignore every contradicting evidence all the time, especially when they point contradictions between his values and actions.

Shirou during Saber's route also qualifies, never tell your overpowered armored waifu who you've seen beat a guy who ultimately manhandled you to stay in the kitchen, then proceed to put yourself in risk because you're too stubborn and stupid and then you end up putting her in risk anyway because of your actions.

Edited by Rapier

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

When characters stay roughly the same or develop little, if nothing at all.

I couldn't stand Hikari Shinji because for the entirety of Evangelion he is depressed and moping around despite almost the entire cast rooting and supporting him, Asuka, the girl for whom he harbors romantic feelings for, responding well to him and making advances, as well as him having a successful career as an EVA pilot. The only thing he shows to care about is his father, who was an asshole everytime he was on screen and treated him like dirt. Then he proceeds to consider a guy who he just met 15 minutes ago as the only person who truly understood him and the best friend he ever had, despite all the rooting he previously received from characters that supposedly were dear to him (what happened to his romantic feelings for Asuka?) until he forgot about them entirely after falling into crippling depression again. He's an Eeyore on early Evangelion, a slightly better Eeyore on mid Eva and he's back to square one near the end.

I hope the End of Evangelion movies have a different, more developped Shinji.

Oh, and characters like Kururugi Suzaku, who stubbornly stand up for the most ridiculous things while pretending that their reasoning is sound even though he sees living contradictions to it every single day, making them unlikable hypocrites whose faces you feel like punching every time they're on screen. For people who don't know him or Code Geass, he's basically the equivalent of a jew who chose to become a nazi to change Nazi Germany's government for the better from the inside, despite seeing jews like him being sent to concentration camps and being treated badly daily. Characters can be stupid, but it starts bothering me when it feels like he's being forced to hold the Stupid Ball(TM) and ignore every contradicting evidence all the time, especially when they point contradictions between his values and actions.

Shirou during Saber's route also qualifies, never tell your overpowered armored waifu who you've seen beat a guy who ultimately manhandled you to stay in the kitchen, then proceed to put yourself in risk because you're too stubborn and stupid and then you end up putting her in risk anyway because of your actions.

I think Suzaku is naïve, but he's important to the story because he's pretty much Lelouch's foil. Lelouch is not an angel, and he does terrible things for the sake of his goals. He's always treading the fine line between selfishness and justice (or at least what he thinks is justice). The fact Suzaku keeps having his ideal challenged doesn't mean his ideal is wrong, as Lelouch faces the same problems (or, at least, we as the audience see that Lelouch's path is corrupt despite his sincerest intentions).

And Shirou is never portrayed as an exemple to be followed. All of the other characters always point that out to him, that his borrowed ideal is foolish. I haven't played Fate in ages but I'm pretty sure that Fate!Shirou is the least developed of the three but still develops and takes something from his time with Saber. In fact, I find HF!Shirou the worst of them, because HF!Shirou would end the world to be with Sakura if needed be, he just got lucky the events unfolded in a way he got put in a position to exorcise Angra Mainyu from her.

Edited by Cerberus87

59 minutes ago, Cerberus87 said:

I think Suzaku is naïve, but he's important to the story because he's pretty much Lelouch's foil. Lelouch is not an angel, and he does terrible things for the sake of his goals. He's always treading the fine line between selfishness and justice (or at least what he thinks is justice). The fact Suzaku keeps having his ideal challenged doesn't mean his ideal is wrong, as Lelouch faces the same problems (or, at least, we as the audience see that Lelouch's path is corrupt despite his sincerest intentions).

And Shirou is never portrayed as an exemple to be followed. All of the other characters always point that out to him, that his borrowed ideal is foolish. I haven't played Fate in ages but I'm pretty sure that Fate!Shirou is the least developed of the three but still develops and takes something from his time with Saber. In fact, I find HF!Shirou the worst of them, because HF!Shirou would end the world to be with Sakura if needed be, he just got lucky the events unfolded in a way he got put in a position to exorcise Angra Mainyu from her.

Spoiler

Suzaku is wrong because helping the Britannian Empire oppress Elevens is in no way helping their situation. Even in the long run, if a well-intended princess hadn't literally fallen on his arms and indirectly given him more influence than he could've obtained in a lifetime of service to Britannia along with more opportunities to be humanitarian toward the other side (which would have proven his point, if Lelouch hadn't screwed the opportunity accidentally, but would still be very lucky of him), I really doubt his effort would amount to anything but increased oppression toward Elevens, as we see in season 2 (which is also Lelouch's fault, but Suzaku had a big part to play on this for arresting Lelouch and handling him to Charles). He is as bad as Conquest!Kamui and even Xander because he does exactly as Britannia orders him even as it contradicts his ideals in principle, and his only saving grace is noticing how bullshit his actions are/were later on season 2.

I know Shirou was never portrayed as an example to be followed. I'm just pointing out how stubbornly stupid he is and how annoying it is to me, especially during Saber's route when those characteristics are more proeminent and he makes the same type of blunders repeatedly. I rather like HF!Shirou, especially the alternative ending where he becomes as calculating as Kiritsugu and Kirei affirms that he is going to win the war, but I agree with you. The best Shirou is UBW!Shirou, that was when I managed to start liking him.

Edited by Rapier

• 2 weeks later...