Jedi

Since FE Warriors was announced, I've seen a fair bit of confusion and misinformation in terms of what to expect, this will not be a speculation thread. This is more a thread for those of you unfamiliar with the Warriors games, to ask questions for me or other experienced Warriors players, such as @Tryhard or @Soledai to answer. 

Don't be afraid to ask something you might consider dumb or obvious, most of the time there isn't a stupid question. I'll also try my best to answer in depth if the question in particular requires it.

So with that, have at it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I got a question here.

The first Warriors game is a fighting genre. How did the team decide to make the series to what it is now instead of following what the first game did? And how were the fanbase fine that the sequel isn't the same as the original in everyway?

Also, What is special about the Warriors series in a personal point of view? The footage I see often is mindless repetitive hack and slash that makes it look like it will be a boring experience.

What's the relation between the Warriors games and Koei's older Strategy games?  I know they made both of them, but 1) are they made by the same people in the company, or different groups altogether 2) have they been influenced at all by the older Strategy games, and if so, how?

20 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Ok so I got a question here.

The first Warriors game is a fighting genre. How did the team decide to make the series to what it is now instead of following what the first game did? And how were the fanbase fine that the sequel isn't the same as the original in everyway?

Also, What is special about the Warriors series in a personal point of view? The footage I see often is mindless repetitive hack and slash that makes it look like it will be a boring experience.

The first game interestingly enough isn't counted in the Japanese series of Shin Sangokumusou, it was simply titled Sangokumusou, but since the West called the game Dynasty Warriors, we are techically a number ahead in the series, Dynasty Warriors 2 for us, is the original Dynasty Warriors in Japan, and so forth, while we are on Dynasty Warriors 9, it will be 8 for Japan. So they largely keep the games separate, only referencing the fighting games roots in Warriors Orochi 2's versus mode. The fanbase in Japan adores the Warriors formula and thats why there are so many offshoots of it, the west only recently got more warm to them. 

The thing with the Warriors series is dominating a battlefield with a colorful cast of characters you love, the challenge varies on the game (older games actually completely destroyed you if you weren't careful). There are more nuances than there seems to be from a glance, doing specific mission objectives so your army doesn't lose, helping your allies, getting special items & weapons, a leveling system, extra modes that usually are surprisingly deep for a game of its type. Such as the very roguelike Xtreme mode in the Xtreme Legends games. The movesets are overall simple yes, but you do need to know what combos are most effective for particular situations, and if you need to get people into a juggle instead of full knockback among other things. 

9 minutes ago, Refa said:

What's the relation between the Warriors games and Koei's older Strategy games?  I know they made both of them, but 1) are they made by the same people in the company, or different groups altogether 2) have they been influenced at all by the older Strategy games, and if so, how?

The Warriors games are handled by "Omega Force" which is basically like a separate division of Koei or Koei-Tecmo nowadays, kinda like how Team Ninja is for Tecmo, when they started doing Dead or Alive and eventually the Modern Ninja Gaiden games. So they are most certainly a different team.

Most of the similarities are just in the historical timeframes they use, and maybe some designs, although the Tactical games are usually more true to well... Romanticized Chinese/Japanese looks were in those time periods.  

Edited by Jedi

14 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

So, my only Warriors experience is Hyrule, so I was wondering... what are some of the more Zelda-ish features of Hyrule that I can probably expect to be absent from Fire Emblem?

The Giant Bosses are the biggest thing that is unique to Hyrule Warriors, as is the Dashing, but Warriors games tend to have mounts you could call at will, to get around quicker and you have a limited but different moveset depending on the character while mounted, Epona being a Weapon for Link was kind of a first where a mount got a fully dedicated moveset. 

Subweapons aren't really a thing in warriors either, older games you had a backup Bow you could use (even characters who used bows in their attacks lol). 

The Level caps being absurdly high is something else that HW has to its name, Warriors games tend to do level ups up to either, 16, 20ish or in Orochi's case 99, not 250 haha. 

Characters also didn't used to have tons of different weapons that entirely changed their playstyle, although that changed more recently in DW7, and 8 you could equip 2 weapons (and 2 movesets to switch between), but every character had their core go to moveset that was special to their weapon and was best wielded by them.

Fairies aren't a thing either, and while HWL's character switching was done in Orochi, your characters weren't seperate they were just freely switchable while you stood there, and they wouldn't have any Ai influence while not controlled by you, it was just you had 3 characters in your pocket. 

The last might be in FE Warriors though.

Edited by Jedi

Well... this can only get wonderful.

The Giant Bosses were ridiculously annoying to defeat, I never used subweapons except for exploiting weaknesses (mostly of the Giant Bosses), the level cap was just a turn-off, I only really used one weapon style per character, and if you're talking about My Fairy, well, I did play the Wii U version as well.

...Though if you don't mind the selfishness, I'd like to extend that question a slight bit. When I asked it, I was also thinking somewhat about Heart Containers and other secrets hidden in levels and offered as rewards. I hear Hyrule is not alone in having a ridiculously large 100% playtime amongst Warriors, so what am I looking at to run around and collect normally?

5 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

...Though if you don't mind the selfishness, I'd like to extend that question a slight bit. When I asked it, I was also thinking somewhat about Heart Containers and other secrets hidden in levels and offered as rewards. I hear Hyrule is not alone in having a ridiculously large 100% playtime amongst Warriors, so what am I looking at to run around and collect normally?

Usually theres hidden goodies more along the lines of Super Final Weapons for every character that require something super specific to be done on a certain map to unlock them, some games even took this to the extremes of hidden items to boost character stats. Occasionally the specific stuff was just for equitable items or particular Horses or Elephants. 

Something DW/SW also does is that when you defeat Generals they drop random stat boosts or a new weapon, but I dno if FE Warriors will follow that formula at all. So getting a character capped out can be annoying sometimes, the higher the difficulty the bigger the rewards as well.

Edited by Jedi

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Fairies aren't a thing either, and while HWL's character switching was done in Orochi, your characters weren't seperate they were just freely switchable while you stood there, and they wouldn't have any Ai influence while not controlled by you, it was just you had 3 characters in your pocket. 

I'm pretty certain they did in WO3: Ultimate

18 minutes ago, Motendra said:

I'm pretty certain they did in WO3: Ultimate

Pretty sure that's something different.

Hyrule Warriors Legends's character switching has more in common with Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3's character switching, but the amount of characters you're allowed to take with you into a map tends to vary much more, and you typically don't get to take more than 3 characters for the Adventure Mode map missions (which is where the real meat of the Hyrule Warriors games lie) while Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 had you take a team of 4 characters in almost every map.

@Folt I mean in regards to Ai. In WO3 Ultimate, they actually DO fight beside you, should you choose to have them come out, and still be able to switch between them in battle. However, doing so can be dangerous cause they also can take damage and even die on the spot, if you're not careful.

It also had "Gauntlet Mode" where it was mandatory and you make a team of 5, that with it, can be put into formations that give stat bonuses, depending on which one it is. Some are more attack oriented, some are defense, I think(?) there was speed, and then there was scouting as well.

47 minutes ago, Motendra said:

@Folt I mean in regards to Ai. In WO3 Ultimate, they actually DO fight beside you, should you choose to have them come out, and still be able to switch between them in battle. However, doing so can be dangerous cause they also can take damage and even die on the spot, if you're not careful.

It also had "Gauntlet Mode" where it was mandatory and you make a team of 5, that with it, can be put into formations that give stat bonuses, depending on which one it is. Some are more attack oriented, some are defense, I think(?) there was speed, and then there was scouting as well.

I stand corrected then. But if I'm gonna be frank, I much prefer Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3/Hyrule Warriors Legends's take on it.

I think ill ask a question this time, dispite the few warrior games i played, what were the side modes like for the series? Hyrule warriors had that adventure mode, samurai warriors had that take on an nes game, and dynasty warriors had a mode where your trying to impress the emperor, what other kinds of modes were in the series, and what could possibly be in Fire emblem warriors?

3 hours ago, BalancedAce said:

Do fat Characters have jiggle physics on their stomaches? If so do you hope Oliver will have sexy man boob physics as well?

Not something I particularly noticed, but I think the fatter characters might have that in the more recent games. 

1 hour ago, Thany said:

I think ill ask a question this time, dispite the few warrior games i played, what were the side modes like for the series? Hyrule warriors had that adventure mode, samurai warriors had that take on an nes game, and dynasty warriors had a mode where your trying to impress the emperor, what other kinds of modes were in the series, and what could possibly be in Fire emblem warriors?

Xtreme Mode was like a Stage to Stage randomized roguelike game with tons of differing elements and you just went until you dropped, there were also bonus score attack modes like "Get as many KOS in this amount of time", "Knock these people off towers before they knock you off!" 

Warriors Orochi had a Dream Mode which was an extra set of levels based on particular characters from Dynasty & Samurai who may not have had a chance in the main plot to work together. 

There were also modes for Create A Characters, in some of the Xtreme Legends games, and of course the Empires offshoot games mixed the tactical elements of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games with the Dynasty Warriors mechanics. 

Some of the older games even had a Versus mode, where you and a friend fought each other, Samurai Warriors 2 had a monopoly styled game attached to it, along with a tower gauntlet mode.

The Sky is the limit for what they may do for FE modes.

Edited by Jedi

3 minutes ago, BalancedAce said:

Have your ally AI units every been useful? Hyrule Warriors AI seem to never attack and constantly miss.

That highly depends on the game and the mission in particular, in Dynasty Warriors & Samurai Warriors, if the AI is controlling someone who did great things in the battle you're fighting in, they tend to be really good. 

Older Dynasty Warriors games, it helped to have some allied generals around for some harder difficulties vs people like Lu Bu, it just VARIES alot, Hyrule Warriors is on the lower end of the "Useful Ai" spectrum than like any other warriors game unfortunately.

Warriors AI tends to do better offscreen than onscreen as well. Unless its someone you're supposed to protect most of the time. (Although Sun Ce in Dynasty Warriors 8 can survive on his own for quite awhile in the mission where he gets poisoned).

Edited by Jedi

my question is has there even been a "final boss" in any of the dynasty/samurai warrior games? Cause it seems like ganon from hyrule warriors would the the only "final boss" that makes sense.

Just now, Thany said:

my question is has there even been a "final boss" in any of the dynasty/samurai warrior games? Cause it seems like ganon from hyrule warriors would the the only "final boss" that makes sense.

Not really, besides the Warriors Orochi games having the titular Orochi being the main final force (and he was more OP than Lu Bu). In those games, the more traditional Dynasty and Samurai Warriors games don't tend to have final bosses really because their plots end at different points in history, and when they used to do character specific stories instead of Faction focused storylines, they all had their final battle, some shared theirs with differing context, but they all had their own "finale" so to speak.

Just now, Jedi said:

Not really, besides the Warriors Orochi games having the titular Orochi being the main final force (and he was more OP than Lu Bu). In those games, the more traditional Dynasty and Samurai Warriors games don't tend to have final bosses really because their plots end at different points in history, and when they used to do character specific stories instead of Faction focused storylines, they all had their final battle, some shared theirs with differing context, but they all had their own "finale" so to speak.

So if im to take a guess, Fire emblem warriors might not have a true final boss huh? sounds to me like it will be a final boss respective to their series.

Just now, Thany said:

So if im to take a guess, Fire emblem warriors might not have a true final boss huh? sounds to me like it will be a final boss respective to their series.

I wouldn't be surprised if FE Warriors did the rare final boss, they could probably get Medeus or something to work.

Is there any previous examples of playable characters that heal allied units? I'm wondering how clerics and other healers could work in a Warriors game.

Also, Hyrule warriors had a massive amount of female characters compared to male, which was surprising given the series' exclusive use of one, male protagonist. Though I suspected the reason for that was Team Ninja's veneration of the female form. The Fire Emblem franchise has no such lack of female representation, so am I correct in assuming Chrom will be the only male playable character in this game?

18 hours ago, Jedi said:

Since FE Warriors was announced, I've seen a fair bit of confusion and misinformation in terms of what to expect, this will not be a speculation thread. This is more a thread for those of you unfamiliar with the Warriors games, to ask questions for me or other experienced Warriors players, such as @Tryhard or @Soledai to answer. 

Don't be afraid to ask something you might consider dumb or obvious, most of the time there isn't a stupid question. I'll also try my best to answer in depth if the question in particular requires it.

*Being flattered intensifies*
Also, I'm glad you said most of the time

47 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Is there any previous examples of playable characters that heal allied units? I'm wondering how clerics and other healers could work in a Warriors game.

Also, Hyrule warriors had a massive amount of female characters compared to male, which was surprising given the series' exclusive use of one, male protagonist. Though I suspected the reason for that was Team Ninja's veneration of the female form. The Fire Emblem franchise has no such lack of female representation, so am I correct in assuming Chrom will be the only male playable character in this game?

Yes there is. First, in Dynasty Warriors 5 Xtreme Legends, if you helped a certain character during a mission in a mission in Xtreme Mode, he would heal you as thanks. In Warriors Orochi series from 2 on, if you approached an ally that requested aid, you would automatically heal them. Later, AoE healing would become a Musou for certain characters in Dynasty Warriors 7 and 8.

...I literally cannot take this second question seriously at all, I just can't. If I'm not mistaken, LoZ series has more active women(background or otherwise) than men, so it wasn't surprising that HW had more female characters. So no, this is not a correct assumption. Backing up my claim is the trailer itself, how many men own the swords in shown in the trailer? My apologies if you were serious, but......

2 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Nah, Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors rosters have way more males than females, HW is more of a case of there only really being significant female characters for the most part in Zelda. As Soledai stated.