Jedi

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

You know, I think I saw something similar in Hyrule. If you didn't use a Tear of Twilight on a map with Twilight Rules, not only would you have some constriction, your map would not show any enemy units.

The story mission in hyrule fields. it indeed had some fog of war inside the place, preventing you from seeing the enemies. So fog of war is doable for Fire emblem. the question is how much will they use of it? since fire emblem itself seems to have moved away from fog of war.

2 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

You know, I think I saw something similar in Hyrule. If you didn't use a Tear of Twilight on a map with Twilight Rules, not only would you have some constriction, your map would not show any enemy units.

Ah yes, certain missions were taken over by Twilight, obscuring the map for that mission (so you had to rely on what enemies you could see on the screen instead of where the enemies were on the map in order to find and complete your objectives).

That said, one story mission and the Reward Map mission for the Twilight Map had sight-blocking Twilight walls as a major obstacle too.

5 hours ago, Thany said:

So fog of war is doable for Fire emblem. the question is how much will they use of it? since fire emblem itself seems to have moved away from fog of war.

True enough, it seems. But hey, that doesn't mean that KT can't make use of it if they wanted to. Assuming FoW does appear, I'd hazard a guess and say it'd be as few in number as it is in FE, unless they decide to surprise us.

2 hours ago, BalancedPro said:

Can you pursue Lu-Bu? Is Lu bu beatable and if so who do you expect to fill in his shoes in Fire Emblem Warriors? I think someone like the Black Knight could do it.

Lu Bu is usually ultra powerful on even lower difficulties until you have some higher level characters or help, It's possible to beat him (not advised to do the slow long game against him though), but its usually not mandatory and when it is mandatory they usually tone him down. 

Good candidates for a potential Lu Bu like character would probably be, Camus, Eldigan, Hardin, The Black Knight, Saias, Zephiel, Valter, Walhart, Xander or Ryoma

Lu Bu's whole power scaling in Warriors games have been replicated by some characters who aren't him depending on the mission, if they were powerful so they could even have various ones. See Volga and Impa depending on the map in HW's story modes. (Or Ma Chao and several other Dynasty Warriors characters beside Lu Bu who have a map where they are stupidly powerful). 

Warriors Orochi had several, Lu Bu himself, Honda (From Samurai Warriors who is basically their Lu Bu dude), and Orochi of course Achilles joined that group (Although game-play wise he didn't have as impressive a moveset typical of Lu Bu styled characters)

Edited by Jedi

42 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Are there any videos that explain this Lu-Bu, Honda etc? I'm pretty clueless on what these archetypes mean!

They're characters who are really strong and will snap you in half if you fight them. But that's just early game(low levels).

Although in Samurai Warriors 3 there's a Tactical(optional) mission where you have to beat Tadakatsu Honda. It's stupid.

48 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Are there any videos that explain this Lu-Bu, Honda etc? I'm pretty clueless on what these archetypes mean!

This video is kind of graphic but it shows how insane the "Lu Bu is stupidly strong" thing has gotten over the years thanks to Dynasty Warriors (and some of his historical achievements).

2 minutes ago, Emeraldfox said:

They're characters who are really strong and will snap you in half if you fight them. But that's just early game(low levels).

Although in Samurai Warriors 3 there's a Tactical(optional) mission where you have to beat Tadakatsu Honda. It's stupid.

And to describe Honda, he was legendary for never getting injured in a battle and being super skilled, so he was often considered the Zhang Fei or Lu Bu of the Sengoku Period of Japan (Which Samurai Warriors takes place in).

That's absurd.

Are most/all of the people in the games like this then? Obscenely powerful legendary warlords that command armies of...for lack of better terms, useless mooks?

I mean it's kind of how I expect the things to go. What makes the lords really diverse then?

Edited by Elieson

1 minute ago, Elieson said:

That's absurd.

Are most/all of the people in the games like this then? Obscenely powerful legendary warlords that command armies of...for lack of better terms, useless mooks?

I mean it's kind of how I expect the things to go. What makes the lords really diverse then?

For what makes the Lords diverse, its their playstyle. multiple characters in the dynasty warrior series have various different movesets. you could have one lord just wield a normal sword and do some fast sword attacks, but another general with a bigger sword would do slower swings, but have a much Wider range of attack. Meanwhile someone with an axe could smash the ground and create a shockwave to send people flying, while others may throw theirs like a hand axe and attack really far infront of them. If you play a dynasty warrior like game, finding a character that controls the way you like em is the best way to enjoy your gameplay experiance. Just note theres going to be some characters you cannot stand to play, so dont force yourself to like every characters playstyle. but give em all a try to find what suits you best.

7 minutes ago, Elieson said:

That's absurd.

The lords are diversified by their personalities, weapon choices, movesets, motivations and Warriors and Tacticians they gathered to help serve them, the effectiveness of said mooks depend on difficulty, where on Chaos mode even the smallest groups can potentially bring you down if you aren't careful in flat seconds, if unprepared, but you can rip through them like butter. 

Its funny because in Dynasty Warriors even the characters that are playable who weren't super powerful warriors, get the chance to show more mystical abilities. 

Edited by Jedi

On 02/23/17 at 7:27 AM, Jedi said:

"Lu Bu is stupidly strong"

Understatement of the week award goes to...

But, if I had to some up an earlier question, I'd say that if this is 100% accurate to Lu Bu in a Dynasty Warriors entry, other characters when controlled by the AI are something along the lines of 1/16 or 1/32 of an AI controlled Lu Bu's abilities by comparison. There's a sizeable comparison but nothing that player input can't change.

1 hour ago, Light Strategist said:

Understatement of the week award goes to...

But, if I had to some up an earlier question, I'd say that if this is 100% accurate to Lu Bu in a Dynasty Warriors entry, other characters when controlled by the AI are something along the lines of 1/16 or 1/32 of an AI controlled Lu Bu's abilities by comparison. There's a sizeable comparison but nothing that player input can't change.

The sad thing is. the most your going to see your allies really helpful is if you raise moral, and let them do their own thing on the map. very few times will they actually help you out taking down a general. I know this best in dynasty warriors 8 where i had to take out sun ce. and i had 2 allies beating the crap out of him, we juggled him for quite a while.

Thank you, @Jedi, for pointing out this thread to me. I've been reading through, and I do have some questions, though they're not really strictly Warriors knowledge-based. Mostly, I have more theoretical/hypothetical questions that I'd like to see answered by people who enjoy both FE and Warriors to get some of their impressions on how the game might shape up and how it will appeal to FE fans.

1. As a fan of both Fire Emblem and Warriors, what aspects exist in both games that interest you? What are things about Warriors games that might be a turn off to people who play and prefer games more like FE?

2. What specific FE mechanics would you really like to see in FE Warriors, and how do you think they'd be used? Are there any particular FE mechanics you'd really NOT like to see brought over to Warriors?

3. What are some FE characters that you think would bring something unique and interesting to Warriors and how do you think they'll impact the game?

4. What kind of a plot should we expect to see in the game? Will it be something rather bare-bones that exists only as a means to get multiple characters from different worlds in the game, or can we expect/hope for something deeper?

5. What arguments would you make to FE fans who are already turned off of the game because of what they think they know about Warriors gameplay? What is one thing you could say that you think would change their mind?

And one last question, not related to my others, but I did see a mention of co-op earlier in the thread. How has co-op worked in previous Warriors games and how do you think it will be on the Switch? Partially wondering if it's the kind of thing where my husband and I would play together on one Switch or if it's more like online multiplayer where we'd each need our own.

3 hours ago, Thany said:

The sad thing is. the most your going to see your allies really helpful is if you raise moral, and let them do their own thing on the map. very few times will they actually help you out taking down a general. I know this best in dynasty warriors 8 where i had to take out sun ce. and i had 2 allies beating the crap out of him, we juggled him for quite a while.

My only real gripe with Warriors games is to make enemies tougher, they typically just up their defences and max health, so they're typically having you juggle enemies for a good 5 minutes before you finish them which is pretty boring long-term. Hyrule Warriors did a good thing by making unflinching enemies but I think they should be able to disrupt your attacks instead of just taking them and attacking you without a care. Some enemies guard, that's fine. But some just don't care what's going on, nor actually counter you. It's like fighting a ghost instead of an opponent.

Do you need to play all the other games to understand the story? I want to play a Warriors game before I get FE Warriors, but I only have a PS4 and from what I have heard, only Dynasty Warriors 8 is available for PS4 (Well so is Arslan, but I'm iffy on that game).

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'll take your last question Kirie, since the others seem very specifically intended for Jedi, iffen you don't mind that. I could answer 2,3,4, but you know. ;o

55 minutes ago, Kirie said:

And one last question, not related to my others, but I did see a mention of co-op earlier in the thread. How has co-op worked in previous Warriors games and how do you think it will be on the Switch? Partially wondering if it's the kind of thing where my husband and I would play together on one Switch or if it's more like online multiplayer where we'd each need our own.

Warriors games co-op has always been couch co-op, split screen. Then later featured online(barring Hyrule Warriors, I think) and couch-co-op. That said, I like to think that FE Warriors would have both online and couch, so it's possible you and your dearest could play together.

9 minutes ago, Azz said:

Do you need to play all the other games to understand the story? I want to play a Warriors game before I get FE Warriors, but I only have a PS4 and from what I have heard, only Dynasty Warriors 8 is available for PS4 (Well so is Arslan, but I'm iffy on that game).

No, the games each tell the same story, that being the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms", just in different ways and with more depth each game.(DW8 is noteworthy because it actually has 'hypothetical scenarios')

Also, DW8 is on PS3 as well. Since you have a PS4, you can check out Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition(which is a mouthful and what I would suggest) which contains the original DW8 and the expansion, Xtreme Legends. Also on Vita and Steam if you have/use those.

Edited by Soledai

Just now, Soledai said:

I'll take your last question Kirie, since the others seem very specifically intended for Jedi, iffen you don't mind that. I could answer 2,3,4, but you know. ;o

They're meant for anyone that likes both FE and Warriors games, so if you fit into that category, I'd certainly love to hear your opinions, too! ^^ Especially since you both might feel differently about some things. The same applies to anyone else who likes both and feels like answering.

14 hours ago, Kirie said:

Thank you, @Jedi, for pointing out this thread to me. I've been reading through, and I do have some questions, though they're not really strictly Warriors knowledge-based. Mostly, I have more theoretical/hypothetical questions that I'd like to see answered by people who enjoy both FE and Warriors to get some of their impressions on how the game might shape up and how it will appeal to FE fans.

1. As a fan of both Fire Emblem and Warriors, what aspects exist in both games that interest you? What are things about Warriors games that might be a turn off to people who play and prefer games more like FE?

2. What specific FE mechanics would you really like to see in FE Warriors, and how do you think they'd be used? Are there any particular FE mechanics you'd really NOT like to see brought over to Warriors?

3. What are some FE characters that you think would bring something unique and interesting to Warriors and how do you think they'll impact the game?

4. What kind of a plot should we expect to see in the game? Will it be something rather bare-bones that exists only as a means to get multiple characters from different worlds in the game, or can we expect/hope for something deeper?

5. What arguments would you make to FE fans who are already turned off of the game because of what they think they know about Warriors gameplay? What is one thing you could say that you think would change their mind?

1. I think the more hack n slash focus might be a turn off by itself, I've seen a number of people already be annoyed at the fact the game exists (Koei also has an extensive history of more tacitical games as well). 

What interests me is seeing the over the top Warriors style meshed with FE, which at times has already had the 1 man/woman army mentality, but now we can see a spectacle with it. Plus using ones favorites in something like this is another huge appealing part, and I think they can merge some stuff with the FE formulas fairly easily I did a video on this even if you'd want to take a look 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB0JvW3HQE4

2. I think my video in the first answer does give some insight, but I'd like to see forging, the weapon triangle (DW already did this and forging before even), along with the traditional level ups, and a side bonus mode that plays like FE, but with Warrior battles, they may even be able to use the Dragon Vein system in actual maps too. A game like this really doesn't need weapon durability.

3.Ooooh this is a hard one considering the various Warriors games clock in tons of characters with very unique movesets, we've even had a fighter who used calligraphy and a giant paintbrush to go with it. The standout things that FE could bring Warriors would be the Pegasus and Wyvern mounts, if they decide to use them, all the other weapons have been used before in Warriors, but I'm sure they have plenty of unique movesets to give us. 

4. I'd expect something akin to Hyrule Warriors which tries its own canon of sorts, but I can see the outrealm gate being used. I wouldn't expect anything deep or complex however, the DW/SW games are just getting to the point of making their plots somewhat interesting themselves in their more recent titles. 

5. I'd just tell them to give it a shot, they might be plesantly surprised, because while Warriors seems stupidly simple and mashy, there is some hidden depth that us Warriors players do enjoy besides the hack n slash nature, and theres usually alot to do in these games surprisingly. 

co-op is usually local & online in warriors games these days, you and your husband should be able to enjoy it side by side. 

14 hours ago, Azz said:

Ok so Dynasty Warriors retells the Late-Han and Three Kingdoms period of China, they are all retellings with their various minor twists and such. You don't miss anything by missing a previous game besides the cool gameplay & way they did the retellings or stories associated with it or modes, its more that.

Samurai Warriors is based on the Warring States of Japan. (Nobunaga, Tokugawa vs Mitsunari etc etc). 

Orochi is a Crisis Crossover between the 2. Etc

Edited by Jedi

Y'know... I actually misread that part of the question, I thought it stated: "I want to play a Dynasty Warriors before I get FE Warriors"...Yikes.

Anyway, that blunder aside and adding on; Arslan Musou has some very interesting gameplay, it's like a mix between Warriors and Bladestorm... though many people dislike the "Bladestorm" parts of the game where you basically control an entire army, kind of like controlling a wave instead of a single person, so to speak... I personally didn't mind from what I played, but wouldn't miss it if it were gone entirely.

8 hours ago, Kirie said:

Okay I'll answer them too, and I didn't fall asleep at all, shhh.
1. These actually have the same answer, the hack and slash aspect is what I like most, and I know that's what turns people off... That seems to be the naysayers' only complaint about it, ever.

2. Hmm, honestly, a pair-up type thing. Samurai Warriors 4 does this and does it well, I think. You pick two characters to make a team, you can switch between them anytime, stick together, split up and fight in other places, and all that good stuff. There isn't really anything I wouldn't like to see, so much as there being things that doesn't belong, that being fatigue or biorhythm.

3. Laguz or Manaketes for me. There used to be a musou "gauge" in older Warriors games, which was filled by fighting, charging it up, or collecting an item that boosted it, or one that made the gauge infinite for a while. That said, Laguz shifting can be handled like that, by having them fight, collecting Olivi Grass, Laguz Gem/Stone, etc.
Manaketes like Tiki, I don't think should be affected by a gauge, but instead given Dragonstones to equip(which I'm debating whether or not it can be changed on the fly). 

4. Honestly, nothing so paper thin that it can be blown away in the wind, and at the same time, nothing with layers of depth. I do expect an original story, just with some, possibly blatant, homages to FE here and there. I'll prematurely make a comparison to food like: "It was a good meal, not the best, but appetizing enough for seconds." Though I patiently wait.

5. Do what Intsys did, step outside your comfort zone and expand your outlook. The worst that can happen is the fleeting feeling of dissatisfaction, and who does that hurt? No one. Give it a shot if you're interested and form your own opinions from there. I know some expect something like #FE(whatever that means?). Reminder to those: This is not #FE nor does Atlus have a hand in it, this is KT turf from here on. Solicitors not welcome.

Also Jedi, Samurai Warriors' story has been interesting since the beginning. >:U

13 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Has any of the Warriors games ever had a customizable home base type area to manage characters, equipment, etc.? I'm wondering what features would be included if they wanted to incorporate the Fates My Castle concept in FE Warriors.

Warriors Orochi 3 had a home base, it wasn't customizable but, its where you forged weapons, built support points, accessed your items, and saw some random characters chatting to each other.

4 hours ago, Soledai said:

Also Jedi, Samurai Warriors' story has been interesting since the beginning. >:U

Sorry haha, Its been too long, although I am really enjoying 4 II's take on everything right now (I just got it yesterday).

15 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Has any of the Warriors games ever had a customizable home base type area to manage characters, equipment, etc.? I'm wondering what features would be included if they wanted to incorporate the Fates My Castle concept in FE Warriors.

Dynasty Warriors 7, 8(and all their expansions) have a sort of home base where you can do all the managing of characters, equipment and such before a battle. Though, home base customization really began in DW8's Ambition mode(where customization is encouraged), where you can change how your town looks, change the monuments, level up characters, talk to your allies, forge weapons, and stuff, and even raise horses if that's your fancy. 

The yet-to-be-released(in the west) Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada presumably has a customizable hometown type home base, too.

Also, like Jedi said, Warriors Orochi 3 had one too, but you could do more there, I think.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Sorry haha, Its been too long, although I am really enjoying 4 II's take on everything right now (I just got it yesterday).

Oh my! Is it relevant to the thread if I ask what story you started with?
I mean, it is asking about Warriors. ;)