New screenshots from online store (+3 more) (+8 ENG)

I am loving what I am seeing so far. This looks really, REALLY good.

I hope this lives up to my expectations. 

EDIT: Why the heck hasn't the Japanese Website updated anything? 

EDIT 2: On Alm's dungeon screenshot thingy, it appears that he can have a maximum up ten units on his team? That's indicative of a small cast. Ten units for Alm and Ten for Celica? I am excited! I hope they FINALLY have unit portrait changes upon promotion. I want the characters' costumes to match with their in-game portraits, for once. PLEASE.

Edited by Leif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, King Marth 64 said:

That was a Bonewalker that Celica fought in the screenshot, not a Revenant, Revenants doesn't use Swords. Those Bonewalkers' portraits does have nice details and made it more scary than Awakening's and Fates's monsters.

Yeah I haven't seen the sword icon. My bad.

The portrait look quite nice indeed. I'm hyped to see how the ones for the Draco Zombies and Gargoyles would be.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

That's very likely, given how it's called bandits'/thieves' shrine. It's in the very beginning of the game, and follows Gaiden's structure of how enemies are encountered. 

It looks very straightforward though, but I suppose that's only natural given it's the first dungeon in the game.

Yeah I suppose some of the later dungeons would have more paths especially for 

Spoiler

the Tower of Duma's in Alm's route. That place was like a big puzzle! I really wonder how it would look like in the remake.

Edited by Thunderstar

3 hours ago, Reinfleche said:

TEC is almost definitely Skill renamed. I wonder if this will stay in the future so Skill and Skills have more differentiated names.

Reminder: This is a Japanese screenshot.

To this day, the stat screens have always had kanji. Only exceptions being hit, dmg, and crt.

技 being for skill. Tec for Technique is appropriate "Engrish".

It can still be skill in English.

Edited by shadowofchaos

12 minutes ago, Leif said:

EDIT 2: On Alm's dungeon screenshot thingy, it appears that he can have a maximum up ten units on his team? That's indicative of a small cast. Ten units for Alm and Ten for Celica? I am excited! I hope they FINALLY have unit portrait changes upon promotion. I want the characters' costumes to match with their in-game portraits, for once. PLEASE.

You could only take 10 characters in the dungeons as well in Gaiden.

Spoiler

There were 32 characters and each army had 16 characters

so yeah it was quite small but it seems that it will be bigger since it would probably have OCs like Efi.

I would love this to happen as well and

Spoiler

it could happen since both Alm and Celica changed their portraits after they promote. I hope that it is the case for the other characters as well.

That's angel, with a 4 next to it? Angel cost 4HP to cast in Gaiden.

HP costing spells confirmed? The other guess was a limited use tome, but that's definitely angel...

I'm honestly surprised since I thought they would scrap that.

Edited by Tryhard

1 hour ago, SullyMcGully said:

Could TEC be SKL and MAG combined?

Or

TECH could just be a renamed skill stat.

POW was used by both Magic users and physical weapon users in Gaiden

1 hour ago, Altean Tactician said:

In the picture where Celica is fighting the bone walker, the angel icon seems to be a tome. I'm wondering if this means that spells function like in a traditional fire emblem style where you equip a tome?

In Gaiden, each spellcaster (and villager by extension) had a set list of skills they could learn. Maybe now you can equip tomes to temporarily have access to a certain spell (e,g, Equipping an Excalibur tome to say Mae and then she has access to that spell so long as she keeps the tome equipped)

The screenshots are nice! Let's hope they'll be generous and give us a few more character portraits.

I'm actually weirded out by the marketing strategy. I know we still have a couple months to April, but it seems weird they haven't revealed a whole lot yet. Looks like they're following Nintendo's latest trend of revealing something just a couple months before you release it. 

But I mean, there's only about 10 weeks left to promote this game (in Japan at least), so you think they'd start doing a weekly reveal of like 4 characters (32 original cast members + potential new characters + significant antagonists should be around 40 characters). And I doubt they'll reveal character artwork a week before it launches, because usually a trailer comes out at that time.

1 hour ago, Dandy Druid said:

The screenshots are nice! Let's hope they'll be generous and give us a few more character portraits.

I'm actually weirded out by the marketing strategy. I know we still have a couple months to April, but it seems weird they haven't revealed a whole lot yet. Looks like they're following Nintendo's latest trend of revealing something just a couple months before you release it. 

But I mean, there's only about 10 weeks left to promote this game (in Japan at least), so you think they'd start doing a weekly reveal of like 4 characters (32 original cast members + potential new characters + significant antagonists should be around 40 characters). And I doubt they'll reveal character artwork a week before it launches, because usually a trailer comes out at that time.

I'm pretty sure they will release some information through Famitsu in March and April. I still remember the leak craze for Fates.

Hooooly crap I just realized something: Celica's chance to hit with the Angel spell is 90%, as opposed to the static 80% in Gaiden. I can only hope this means Skill affects spells' chance to hit in Shadows of Valentia, because I'm not sure I can handle constantly missing six Thunders in a row in yet another game because Kliff's ridiculously high Skill stat was completely and utterly useless.

2 hours ago, Thane said:

Hooooly crap I just realized something: Celica's chance to hit with the Angel spell is 90%, as opposed to the static 80% in Gaiden. I can only hope this means Skill affects spells' chance to hit in Shadows of Valentia, because I'm not sure I can handle constantly missing six Thunders in a row in yet another game because Kliff's ridiculously high Skill stat was completely and utterly useless.

Oh yes please be the case, cause I swear to god if Silque or Genny miss any more Nosferatus.....

To be fair, I don't think anyone who even loves Gaiden would be opposed to having better hit rates (and they'll probably do either 2RNG or Fates RNG systems too). Skill not affecting spell hit rates in the original was weird, I expected it to be changed. Wonder if magic will still be unaffected by terrain bonuses though.

Edited by Tryhard

2 hours ago, Azz said:

Oh yes please be the case, cause I swear to god if Silque or Genny miss any more Nosferatus.....

Speaking of, I'd like Nosferatu's hit rate buffed. 50% is just way too low, especially if healing is still a "cast from hit points" thing.

6 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

They will definitely release some more info. As someone else said they will likely release some in a Famitsu, and there will also very likely be another Direct in a month or two that will show some more info on it. Fates went through a good month or two from its announcement before info really started coming out on it.

To add to what SoC said, unless my memory sucks, I don't believe any previous Japanese Fire Emblem has written the stats in English.

In fact, I am pretty sure Skill is called TEC or something similar in the internal coding for the GBA FEs.

So putting that all together, it's extremely likely that TEC is simply what the Japanese know as our SKL.

EDIT

Yeah, it's "tech" in Binding Blade. Funnily enough, Speed is "quick".

Edited by VincentASM

I wouldn't assume that mages are screwed in SoV. Sure spells cost hp, but most units in Gaiden have large enough health pools to afford casting. Plus, many spells are simply better than any physical counterpart, apart from the legendary weapons. It's important to remember that in Gaiden, very few units have good res, so even the weak spells like fire hit hard. Thunder has 1-3 range, Excalibur has 100 base hit and 20% base crit, and Ragnarok, while rare and expensive, costing 24 hp(!) has 24 might and 100 base hit.

Mages and the like where always valuable in Gaiden, and I imagine the same will occur here, regardless of health costs.  

10 minutes ago, Megapikman132 said:

I wouldn't assume that mages are screwed in SoV. Sure spells cost hp, but most units in Gaiden have large enough health pools to afford casting. Plus, many spells are simply better than any physical counterpart, apart from the legendary weapons. It's important to remember that in Gaiden, very few units have good res, so even the weak spells like fire hit hard. Thunder has 1-3 range, Excalibur has 100 base hit and 20% base crit, and Ragnarok, while rare and expensive, costing 24 hp(!) has 24 might and 100 base hit.

Mages and the like where always valuable in Gaiden, and I imagine the same will occur here, regardless of health costs.  

Ragnarok only costs 10 HP. If it cost 24 HP, I don't think anyone would be using it, despite how good it is.