Jump to content
Harvey

How is Roy more popular than Marth?

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Mirania said:

Wait, don't tell me different people have different tastes. Say it ain't so.

Also (green hair>)red hair> blue hair

Red>Blonde>Brunette>Blue>Green>White/Silver>Orange>Purple>Pink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I'm wondering too. I thought that Marth was the most iconic FE character because he appeared in more games (especially outside of FE) than Roy and Ike, but apparently not. And he was the first Lord in the series, is mentioned a lot of times and almost considered as a god by the characters of FE13. And he's a good guy, even if he suffered from the age of his games. 

Mah boi needs more love He better not be excluded from the next Smash after that poll. Or I'll get really REALLY angry :angry:

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mirania said:

No, no, no.

Green > Red > Blue > Blonde > Purple > Brunette > White/Silver, Pink > Orange

Wrong on several accounts.
Green > Purple > White/Silver > Red > Blue > Blonde > Orange > Pink

Anyways, so as not to entirely derail the thread, Roy comes off as less "vanilla" than Marth. Japan's more used to Marth than Roy; he's a classic, while Roy's less so. Roy's also flashier in Smash, and has that cool new design from it. Plus, Roy's at least got some supports to differentiate himself and give more character interaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Harvey said:

It matters because its a confusing matter. When you compare characters who are just the same with one having better personality than the other and the fact that Marth's appearance is the main key that FE was born, its a known thing that Marth has to atleast come there atleast from 1-5.

This can be summed up as "different tastes".  I voted for neither, because my priorities were elsewhere.  If I had to choose between them, I'd choose Marth, because FE6 bored me to tears.

6 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Adding supports was a possibility for SD, they just chose not to.

Supports do exist, though it's not in the sense that you think it is.  Certain characters get a support bonus (a la GBA FE games), though the requirements aren't clear-cut.  Most of these have no conversation.  On the flip side, there's some characters who get a conversation, but don't necessarily get a support bonus.  The former are either fairly obvious (the woodcutters with each other, the Whitewings, etc.), or they get that bonus with Marth.  The conversations add to the game, but don't really affect much else.  Still, some of them are pure gold (Roger/Marth comes to mind).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Brand_Of_The_Exalt said:

Eh, I'm wondering too. I thought that Marth was the most iconic FE character because he appeared in more games (especially outside of FE) than Roy and Ike, but apparently not. And he was the first Lord in the series, is mentioned a lot of times and almost considered as a god by the characters of FE13. And he's a good guy, even if he suffered from the age of his games. 

Mah boi needs more love He better not be excluded from the next Smash after that poll. Or I'll get really REALLY angry :angry:

I'd argue there's a difference between being iconic and being popular. Marth being apparently less popular than Roy doesn't mean he's not iconic. I mean, Mario's the most iconic character of the Super Mario series, but how many people do you think would label him as their favourite character? There's also absolutely no reason to remove him from Smash.

On the main topic, though, I'd say it really just comes down to a matter of preference. You can say things like, "they're the same but one has a better personality," but that in itself is completely subjective. People are gonna like what they're gonna like, and Marth being the original Lord has absolutely nothing to do with individual tastes and preferences. Maybe they prefer Roy's personality, maybe they like Binding Blade better than Marth's games, maybe they just think Roy looks cooler than Marth in Smash. I don't know, and personally, I don't care, because in the end, it doesn't really matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2017 at 1:37 PM, Mirania said:

Wait, don't tell me different people have different tastes. Say it ain't so.

Also (green hair>)red hair> blue hair

THIS!!! XD

But the real reason people voted for Roy is quite simple...Most people played binding blade and liked it much more than shadow dragon....

Edited by Eilanzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me Marth is the vanilla lord. He's the original soft and gentle young prince who needs to grow. But Marth has to share this position on the lord spectrum with Eliwood and Seliph and while not a lord Siegbert seems to fit the archtype as well. 

Roy on the other hand fits a little better into his own niche by being wise beyond his years and generally more adept at politics and strategies than most lords.You could even argue Roy's biggest flaw, his performance as a unit fits in perfectly with his niche because he's the brains over brawns type and much younger than his fellow lords too.  He also has supports to flesh his personality out a little more which is something Marth doesn't have. 

Marth having had more appearances might be something of a weakness rather than a strength. Due to appearing so many times in different ways he's not a very consistent character. Somewhat childish in the original games, a western styled hero in shadow dragon and a sissy in new mystery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too sure about the fandom in the US/EU/AU, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Japanese fans were introduced to FE through Smash Melee. At least in my case, I found out about the franchise through that. Although I didn't play Smash Melee, I did play FE6 (which came 3-4 months after) as my first entry into the series. Thinking about it now, if anything, Roy made me wish a modified/modifiable form of leadership stars were a thing in FE6, to better utilise his "brains over brawns" style.

Edited by henrymidfields

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

To me Marth is the vanilla lord. He's the original soft and gentle young prince who needs to grow. But Marth has to share this position on the lord spectrum with Eliwood and Seliph and while not a lord Siegbert seems to fit the archtype as well. 

Roy on the other hand fits a little better into his own niche by being wise beyond his years and generally more adept at politics and strategies than most lords.You could even argue Roy's biggest flaw, his performance as a unit fits in perfectly with his niche because he's the brains over brawns type and much younger than his fellow lords too.  He also has supports to flesh his personality out a little more which is something Marth doesn't have. 

Marth having had more appearances might be something of a weakness rather than a strength. Due to appearing so many times in different ways he's not a very consistent character. Somewhat childish in the original games, a western styled hero in shadow dragon and a sissy in new mystery. 

I disagree except on the part that Roy is knowledgeable.

Marth has a better personality than Roy simply because there is a lot of depth in him and he isn't always calm unlike Roy who ALWAYS is.

Infact his character is further developed in Shadow Dragon. Its because of his lack of knowledge that develops his wisdom later on. 

Roy doesn't have that development. The only time the game gives Roy such depth is during his supports but that's not saying much because the supports themselves are not that great.

As for the game...that brain power means nothing if he can't even compensate for his lack of..well almost everything. So by having brain power, you think it was smart for him to just be sword locked even after promotion and still have that crappy five movement as well? Not to mention that he's not that brainy to even get a horse upon promotion?

Oh and more on that brains phrase...so if that is the case, how the hell does he end up with great luck instead of a high skill and speed? That alone could have helped his lame brain over power excuse. idk about luck here but since the hit rates are almost bonkers in FE6, I just feel that luck is pointless to have huge hopes on.

 

 

 

Edited by Harvey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honestly quite surprised myself Roy placed so high.

Smash obviously had big influence on Marth/Roy's popularity but even in Smash Marth was a superior character, even competitive tier lists reflect this.  In my opinion Marth had a better looking design also.

What really gets me though is I have a good feeling many Roy fans have never played Binding Blade, he is the definition of average.  His character does absolutely nothing to standout and he is very average as a unit needing to be ferried around to seize frequently and his late promotion does him no favors.  His only savior is the abundance of Manaketes in the final chapters and their weakness to the sword of seals.

The other part that gets me is that Binding Blade has never received an official translation whereas FE1 has seen one in the form of FE11.  FE11's lukewarm reception might have something to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait the results are out? Can someone provide a link?

 

Also yeah it's totally because of the red hair and fire sword.

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Ha. Oh yeah the actual website. Why didn't I think of checking there first? :>_<:

Nowi is more popular than Tiki? :Heartbroken: Curse the game splitting votes (though as someone asked earlier, I'll answer now, even if Marth' votes were combined he wouldn't have matched Roy).

Ardan is the third most popular Holy War character. I can only imagine there was a concentrated systematic effort of sympathy votes dedicated to him.

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...