Translation patch for Echoes Special Edition

Since the Special Edition will unlikely to come out in English (and no Japanese dub?) I'm thinking of buying the original game in Japanese & get all the goodies. My DS is homebrewed so I can play out of region games but I was wondering if there will possibly be a translation patched released down the line?

And I'm just curious about the process. Is it a lot of hassle to patch the subtitles or is it simply copy/paste the files?

It really depends on how the game was designed.

Maybe @shadowofchaos or somebody could help? Like what happens if you swapped the Japanese Awakening or Fates text files for the English ones?

I know New Mystery was a pain in the butt since it didn't even have a fully functioning English alphabet for the dialogue...

If there are no issues, you could try pasting the English files from the official English translation after it releases in May.

I seriously don't think anybody is going to fully translate the game before then... Actually, you never know, considering it's a remake of Gaiden and most of Gaiden's text has been translated, plus some fans are *really* dedicated.

Edited by VincentASM

3 hours ago, VincentASM said:

It really depends on how the game was designed.

Maybe @shadowofchaos or somebody could help? Like what happens if you swapped the Japanese Awakening or Fates text files for the English ones?

I know New Mystery was a pain in the butt since it didn't even have a fully functioning English alphabet for the dialogue...

If there are no issues, you could try pasting the English files from the official English translation after it releases in May.

I seriously don't think anybody is going to fully translate the game before then... Actually, you never know, considering it's a remake of Gaiden and most of Gaiden's text has been translated, plus some fans are *really* dedicated.

Thanks for the reply. I keep coming back to this page so it's very tempting ._.

Yeah. That special edition version feels like they are explicitly catering to the export market. (That, or this is some sort of anti-scalping attempt)

Edited by sirmola

4 hours ago, Hardin said:

Why don't you just buy the special edition version that does not include the game and wait to play it in English? 

Oh wait there is?? I can only find that & the normal version on amiami. Would you have a link for the set you're talking about?

28 minutes ago, rubysp said:

Oh wait there is?? I can only find that & the normal version on amiami. Would you have a link for the set you're talking about?

It's exclusive to the My Nintendo Store.

Valentia Complete (no game card)

I'm a bit surprised you missed this information ^^;;;

5 minutes ago, rubysp said:

thanks heaps for the link! I signed up for serenesforest but am not active. Just popped here today because of Echoes

No worries!

Oh, I'm surprised you didn't hear about the news elsewhere, but I guess not a lot of people will be talking about the Japanese special edition ^^;;;

20 hours ago, shadowofchaos said:

I've never tried switching the English text into the JP version... simply because l can read Japanese. Or at least the simplified Japanese in FE games.

Sorry.

Theoretically, it could work.

Ah, I meant getting Echoes in Japanese and patch it with English subtitles. I can understand basic Japanese but Kanji & Keigo trips me up 

I don't think we'll be seeing a fan translation for echos like we did for fates, as the release time between the Japanese version and the English version will only be a month. We may have someone who finds out how to swap the audio files around. 

Why not just wait until the english version comes out and rebuy the game then? no one is going to go through the effort to translate the game just so a few handful can play the japanese version in english.

I mean if you're already going to pay that much for the special edition, I assume its mainly about getting the collectors items than actually playing the game early. So it shouldn't be a big deal to buy the game again in English later.

7 hours ago, bufkus said:

Why not just wait until the english version comes out and rebuy the game then? no one is going to go through the effort to translate the game just so a few handful can play the japanese version in english.

I mean if you're already going to pay that much for the special edition, I assume its mainly about getting the collectors items than actually playing the game early. So it shouldn't be a big deal to buy the game again in English later.

When I posted the topic I was unaware that nintendo sells collectors items separately from the game. I think I'll follow your suggestion. Cheers

Now hoping for an undub for Echoes *cross fingers

On 2/12/2017 at 4:30 PM, rubysp said:

Since the Special Edition will unlikely to come out in English (and no Japanese dub?) I'm thinking of buying the original game in Japanese & get all the goodies. My DS is homebrewed so I can play out of region games but I was wondering if there will possibly be a translation patched released down the line?

And I'm just curious about the process. Is it a lot of hassle to patch the subtitles or is it simply copy/paste the files?

An undub, at least, I can commit to making happen.

Censorship/bad translation...less likely, but we'll see. I plan on putting the same amount of effort into tools for SoV as I did into If.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

I'm curious if anything in Gaiden was, uh, "sketchy" enough to warrent any kind of major rewriting. 

Fates is notorious, but I recall talk that Awakening had some major character changes, but the only I know of is Henry. 

And Henry's change was for the better, at least in my and many other opinions, considering he's far more popular in the west than he is in Japan.