Favorite Path & Why

Murrdogg93

Favorite Path & Why  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the 3 paths is your favorite?

• Conquest
    • Birthright
    • Revelation

Conquest. The gameplay feels most like what I think of as Fire Emblem, and it's story is decent as a stand-alone.

I do like some of Revelation's levels and mechanics, but it's story would be awful alone since it expects you to have played the other two (it's still pretty bad even with the other two though).

Birthright has a story that's super typical and boring except for a certain chapter that is only slightly more uncommon (but still fairly typical). The gameplay is a joke as well. I may be a veteran FE player, but BR Hard as my first BR run ought to at least given me the occasional challenge. The only slightly hard part was the final boss, and that was only hard since I had to rapidly adjust my strategy to counter his unexpected tile-change ability.

Edited by alatartheblue42

This is tough; most of my favourite characters are on the Hoshidan side, but Conquest has the best gameplay by far. Revelation especially is just very boring to play. However, I feel as if the inter-country supports in Revelation are some of the best examples of writing in the game. 

So I would answer Conquest, although on re-plays I skip all the cut-scenes and pay zero attention to the story. 

Birthright. I had a hard time enjoying Conquest's superior gameplay because I hated all of the player characters and didn't want them to succeed. Revelation was both tedious and it rendered the other two paths null. Although Birthright isn't super interesting it didn't offend me, the gameplay was still okay, and I'd say was on par with Awakening, which I was okay with.

Conquest: I like it due to being more in the vein of past FE games, and since it does not really allow for grinding, I don't feel compelled to grind, if that makes any sense.

It also has Leo, which is a major plus.

Though the choice to choose Nohr never really feels like the right choice, I think it has the more interesting story. Sadly, the Hoshidan siblings just feel cooler as villains and the gameplay is more of a challenge. I find a lot of the characters more memorable as well. I think I may be bitter about Birthright because the characters I was most excited for always got super RNG screwed (aka Subaki... Curse him and his 8 STR at level 20...) Revelation feels like the REASONABLE choice to make, but there are so many characters shoved into the story that I think it suffers. 

Mainly Nohr for the gameplay. 

I think Val was also alright. The idea behind it is good, just that the execution was disappointing. It's fun for supports and getting all characters, and some of gimmicky maps were interesting.

Overall, I enjoy Conquest.  It is more similar to older FE games, the pacing and difficulty were enjoyable, the story was pretty decent, and the various objectives made the gameplay way better and shows potential for even more different objectives in the future.

However, I like more of the Birthright characters as well as that Japanese aesthetic in a Fire Emblem game which gave a different flair and style which I really enjoyed.  The story wasn't too great though and it was too easy.

Revelations, while I enjoyed seeing the supports between Hoshido and Nohr characters, fell short for me because it felt like it was very barren in terms of story.  Sure it explains a little bit of the world, but it caused me to have more questions that aren't answered.  And I also didn't like that most of this path was in Valla where I found a lot of the map designs to be repetitive.  Like, yes I get it, we're on a floating chunk of land.

Revelation, but only as Nintendo suggests, after playing the other two.  I don't find the maps on Conquest to be any more difficult, just gimmicky and I'm a bit spoiled on having access to the great inter-country supports.

Conquest's story is just far too bad to enjoy and the no-grinding part is immediately circumvented by Map Pack 1 available on launch day.

Conquest. The gameplay was the most satisfying and the maps more varied without being to gimmicky. I actually think Conquest has the best story out of the three routes. Its got a lot of issues but at least it has something in it. 

Birthright was a bit to bare bones in both story and gameplay and ridiculously easy. 

As for revelations, I haven't finished it because gameplay wise I just wasn't having much fun. 

Conquest. It's the only path I've never gotten tired of playing. Cool maps and varied victory conditions made the game super fun to play and I really love the entire playable cast (although I like the Hoshidan and the Nohrian characters almost equally). The story is a bit disappointing, but to me it was the most engaging out of all three and it held my interest all the way through. To me, the Nohrian royals and their interactions were always the highlights of the story and the Hoshidan royals worked quite well as the antagonists.

Birthright has fun characters but unfortunately it was quite boring to play on hard. I have a lunatic run in progress and I'm hoping it'll make the game more enjoyable. My first run was ladies-only, and it turned out to be a fun experience.

I haven't finished Revelation yet but playing it is such a drag, although I'm enjoying trying out characters I didn't have a chance to use before.

Definitely Conquest. The maps were more challenging, which made them more fun. Plus, I really liked the Nohrian siblings and felt like they were more of a family compared to the Hoshidans (who I honestly didn't care about much, but they made decent antagonists in Conquest like others have said). It also has the story I...dislike the least out of all three. But hey, that's most likely just my Nohr bias talking.

...it's just too bad that Nohr is treated as the objectively "bad" choice and Hoshido the objectively "good" choice.

Birthright.

I am someone who values story a little more than pure gameplay. Birthright doesn't have the most exciting plot, but it is still servicable. The gameplay isn't outstanding but I found myself enjoying it, since I am not really a player who loves struggling for hours anyway. The cast is generally lovable, wth only a few exceptions, even if a lot of them are underutilised. 

I will admit that Conquest's gameplay is more complex and deserves all the praise it has gotten. But a story were the "hero" actively makes me want them to get offed and replaced by someone less of a selfish brat, is.. well not a good one I'd say. I did like the Nohrian cast (again, with exceptions), but I never bonded with them quite as much as other people have done.

Rev has a silly, though less offensive plot. The gamplay is too gimmicky for me to really enjoy.

Overall it all comes down to the formula: Gameplay + Story + cast = Quality for me.

Birthright has good gameplay, okay story, good characters, so it's a good game for me.

Conquest has great gameplay + shit story + okay cast, so it's just okay in the grand scheme of things.

Revelations has meh gameplay + meh story + well the cast from the two other games, so it's mostly just a very meh experience with small highlights.

1 hour ago, kcirrot said:

Help me out here, what girl doesn't die in Birthright but does in Conquest/Revelation?

1 hour ago, Res said:

Scarlet?

Yep. She's one of my favorite characters in Fates but you can only really use her in Birthright. ;A;

Gameplay: Conquest > Birthright > Revelaton
Story: Birthright > Conquest > Revelation

You just can't beat Conquest's map design and the limits on grinding are a nice addition. Birthright's maps are serviceable but they don't have anything that stands out like C10. Revelation's flexible team building doesn't make up for its extremely tedious maps. Storywise, all routes a bleh with Birthright being the least problematic. Conquest would easily take the top spot for the worst Fire Emblem story but it's at least engaging. Revelation on the other hand is painfully dull and that's an even greater sin. I like and dislike characters across the board so there are things to enjoy and avoid for all routes.

The final verdict is... Conright...Birthquest.

Edited by NekoKnight

Conquest.

IMO, Conquest has a lot more interesting characters like Nyx and Benny for example (Also Gunter too), the maps are much more exciting and in my opinion, has the bets story out of the three routes. The only thing I don't like about Conquest is the lack of grinding, however, the point of Conquest is to have no grinding, so I don't mind as much.

While Birthright is okay, its story is meh, but I feel like Conquest fleshes out the Hoshidan siblings better. Also, I find Hoshido characters less interesting, with the exception of like Takumi and Saizo.

Meanwhile, Revelations, IMO, is insulting to me as an FE fan. The story is absolute garbage, Corrin and Azura are at their worst, and that is saying something, the gameplay is horribly unbalanced making certain characters useless unless you grind, and while I don't mind grinding as long a sit is optional, if you HAVE to grind to make a character usable, that is bull. I mean Odin gets one-shot on the map he joins in. IMO, Revelations should not have even existed. I would have much preferred more DLC then this.

/rant over

Conquest. The lackluster writing isn't enough to take down the amazing map design that really pushes you to the limits to think of good strategy. Many maps have multiple ways to approach them. And there are also a bunch of good characters as well, such as Niles, Leo, Beruka, Benny, and Elise. Takumi also is one of, if not the best antagonist in the game, and the last few chapters where you fight against the Hoshidan siblings are particularly memorable.

After all the hype and first impressions faded away?

Revelation has bad plot, the same characters from both paths, and really dull gameplay; it hardly holds a candle to either in anything other than giving me access to more support lines.  CQ is challenging, has numerous great characters, but a plot that makes me hate much of the main cast.  BR isn't too challenging, but isn't tedious like Revelation.  BR has a plot that's enough to genuinely entertain me, and has some really great characters.

Really, it's close between CQ and BR.  BR has an edge because it has my absolute favorite characters there and because it was the first I played, thus there was novelty when I played it.  Plus, while I have a balance of enjoyment for both gameplay and story, the story side has more weight.

2 hours ago, Bandido Banderas said:

Takumi also is one of, if not the best antagonist in the game...

Spoiler

If only he wasn't merely a possessed puppet in the end...  Still a better antagonist than Anankos.