Updated FE12 translation patch (Beta 2 released!)

FE12_Boxart (1).png

Beta 3 is currently being worked on as of July 2018. 

Beta 3 will implement drastic user interface corrections for consistency with Shadow Dragon, as well as more recent name corrections and corrections to the dialogue to better match Shadow Dragon, Awakening, Heroes, and Warriors.

The current patch (Beta 2) can be downloaded below.

Screenshots (outdated, will be updated soon.l

Spoiler

tlbt_15541.png

fe12done_8425.png

tlbt_1397.png

fe12done_9009.png

fe12done_9202.png

fe12done_9519.png

fe12done_10057.png

fe12fix_10188.png

tlbt_16258.png

Here's the list of changes that have been/will be implemented

Download (Must be applied to a rom that has already been patched with ver. 3.01 of the Heroes of Shadow patch!)

fe12_update_beta1.xdelta (May 29th, 2017) 

fe12_update_beta2.xdelta (June 29th, 2017)

Credits

VincentASM and the rest of the Heroes of Shadow that produced the original patch and allowed us to make this update for it

Nintendo of America/Europe for finally giving us official translations for these characters :)

(Old info)-

Spoiler

Name changes implemented

Spoiler

Chris is now Kris

Roro is now Legion

Maris is now Malice

Elrean is now Arlen

Cecille is now Cecil

Kleine is now Clarisse

Eremiah is now Eremiya

Yubello is now Jubelo

Malicia is now Marisha

Feena is now Phina

Leiden is now Reiden

Robert is now Roberto

Rody is now Roderick

Samto is now Samuel

Sheema is now Sheena

Yumina is now Yuliya

Aimee is now Larabel

Other changes (items, locations, etc.)

"Dragon's Altar" to "Dragon's Table"

"Wyvern's Dale" to "Wyvern Valley"

"Flame Barrel" to "The Flame Barrel" (same thing for similar location names)

"Angelic Robe" to "Seraph Robe"

"Quality of life" update to Legion's dialogue to be more in line with FE13's localization (planned)

Changed all instances of “defence” to “defense”

Typos fixed

Spoiler

Don't say that crap again, not until you've killed much more people than me. -> 
Don't say that crap again, not until you've killed many more people than me.

Warren's a bit of an idiot. Just 'cause they payed him well, he went ahead and joined the rebel army! ->
Warren's a bit of an idiot. Just 'cause they paid him well, he went ahead and joined the rebel army!

If you ever feel the urge, then go ahead take a peek! ->
If you ever feel the urge, then go ahead and take a peek!

Then, they dispached powerful dracoknights to guard the country's forested borders. ->
Then, they dispatched powerful dracoknights to guard the country's forested borders.

Your Highness is to lead the entire army of Altea and sortie at once, supressing the Grustian rebellion. ->
Your Highness is to lead the entire army of Altea and sortie at once, suppressing the Grustian rebellion.

And Katarina, that you includes you of course. ->
And Katarina, that includes you of course.

Merric told much me about you. ->
Merric told me much about you.

I pity Lena for having to put up your stupidity. -> 
I pity Lena for having to put up with your stupidity.

Hardin… Why did you to attack our country? ->
Hardin… Why did you attack our country?

Edited by joesteve1914

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot for this! And about Wyvern Valley and Dragon's Table. Yes, it should be Dragon's Table, it is the same place, and they call it like that on Awakening, buuut, Wyvern Valley and Wyvern's Dale are two different places, WV is on Valm/Valentia, WD on Ylisse/Archanea.

Very nice! It might take me a while to get used to the new names, but I suppose they're "official" now. Has Chris become Kris?

And yes, I believe Dragon's Altar/Dragon's Table are the same place. Wyvern's Valley, however, is in Valm!

Well...

1. The 'Ice Dragon Shrine' should be renamed to the 'Ice Dragon Temple'. There is no way that this sort of building is a 'shrine'.

2. Maybe come up with a term for Gharnef's followers that is more appropriate than "heretic bishops". Especially since none of them nor Gharnef are actually bishops anymore. Nor are bishops the only promoted magic users in the game. I mean, Gotoh is called the 'archsage' so why not? I'd say that the term 'sectarian mages' works, given how 'sectarian' is listed as a synonym for both 'heretic' and 'unorthodox' and not to mention the actual meaning of the term.

Oh, and if this does get changed then so should Julian's dialogue upon his recruitment. Have him talk about a 'strange person in robes' or something. And did the Japanese term that was used really identify the person in question as male? Because if not, there is at least one antagonist of each gender that this could be referring to.

3. The opening of Chapter 12 (and any other place where it is mentioned) should refer to the Flame Barrel as 'THE Flame Barrel'. The current text is "This is Flame Barrel". And maybe change the name of the event in the Event Recap section to match? Naturally, this sort of thing should apply to most if not all location names in general.

4. Wasn't the original Naga always referred to with gender neutral pronouns in the original FE3's Japanese script? If so, I think that all dialogue that refers to Naga should be changed accordingly. I'm not suggesting referring to Naga as it but to word the text so that the terms 'he' or 'she' are never needed and to use terms like '...then Naga did so and so...' or 'And so Naga decided...', ect. And I used the term 'original Naga' because Nagi being female doesn't mean anything due to how reincarnation is depicted to work in various mythologies. Speaking of, Awakening's Naga looks more like Nagi after going through an art update than anything else.

5. Thirding what Ini and FoD have said.

6. Maybe change Michalis' threat to Rucke into one talking about a weapon in general rather than a lance in particular? He is an axe user in Heroes, after all. Though, an axe isn't the sort of weapon you'd shove down someone's throat. So then, "...feel this weapon upon your throat...", maybe? I mean, I'm aware that he joins with only lances in his inventory but still. Minerva talks about being a pegasus rider before becoming a wyvern rider in the second support conversation between her and Catria as if those are separate things despite how that works in this game as far as promotions go (and that bit should be kept as such, of course).

Oh, and Palla is a sword user in Heroes but her first support conversation with Minerva also mentions a lance/spear (and Minerva talks about a spear of her own as well). Speaking of, the avatar talking about swords while being in a different class was very odd. Perhaps it would be best to just go ahead and change all similar mentions of a specific weapon into ones that just talk about 'a/the/your weapon' in general? Unless the dialogue is specifically such where it doesn't work, of course (like the support conversations between the avatar and Sedgar, for example). Or maybe just do that for the characters who have weapon differences between here and Heroes (so just Caeda, Draug, Palla, Sheena and Michalis) or elsewhere (Minerva and maybe other people between FE11 and here vs FE1 and FE3) as well as the avatar.

However, I think that stuff like Malice referring to herself as a mercenary should be kept instead of changing it to the more catch all 'sellsword' (Navarre calls himself that in the third Archanea Chronicles chapter, does he not?) or something similar because she is, indeed, in the Mercenary class in Awakening. So stuff like that, by contrast, should be kept. The male=Mercenary and female=Myrmidon thing was stupid anyway. Though, on that note, maybe chapter 6x would be more appropriately titled "Sellsword Squad"? Between Caesar and Radd only one of them is in the actual Mercenary class.

Oh, and speaking of Heroes, how about changing Minerva's title into 'Red Dragoon' to match the Heroes one?

7. You didn't list changing the avatar's default name to Kris. Please don't forget that. Also, don't forget things like items names. Clarisse's Bow comes to mind. Oh, and if the term 'Hero-King' ever comes up...well, you get it by now.

8. All instances of referring to Archanea's capital should be changed to refer to it as 'the Millennium Court'.

9. I think that the third support conversation between the avatar and Samson would be better of if the avatar were to say "I asked the vendor lady to write them in the last time I stopped by there". Having only played Shadow Dragon and Gaiden before playing Heroes of Light and Shadow (I decided to go through the franchise in order back when I discovered it) I remember being really bothered by the avatar suddenly bringing up a 'Miss Aimee' that was never mentioned before as if I was supposed to already know who that is in that instace. The signature on the letter that is part of that conversation would have to changed to match, though. Maybe change it to something 'everyone's favorite vendor' for more flavor?

10. On the subject of Katarina's name...Well, I think I hit the jackpot.

Search Clarisse on wikipedia. Note how it says that an individual member of the Poor Clares is called a 'Clarisse'. Now, that order is named after Clare of Assisi. So here's the thing. Go to her article and read the first paragraph under the biography part. Note the birth name of that last one of her blood sisters to be listed. Note what said sister did with it. Having said all that, it is now my firm belief that having Katarina's other name be anything besides 'Agnes' would be a colossal waste of an opportunity.

And besides, I don't think the name Agnes has been used in Fire Emblem before, ever. As in, not even for characters mentioned in passing like, say, Marth and Elice's mother being Liza. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Also, watch the Shadows of Valentia equivalents of Frey, Norne, ect. prove me wrong. Because of course it will end up this way now that such a perfectly fitting name has been found.

On top of that, perhaps Katarina should be referred to by her other name, even in the textbox, during the second DLC chapter (and I mean even after talking to Katarina the village girl and said Katarina leaving)? She doesn't use the 'Katarina' alias until much later, after all. But her text box using 'Katarina' throughout the entirety of the main story is fitting.

11. One of the houses that you can visit in chapter 19 refers to Midia as "...the daughter of Archanea's former supreme commander, Count Owen". I'm sorry but what? Midia's father is the deceased marquess Charon of Deil. Did someone make a mistake somewhere? Maybe when going over the Japanese text for that house?

12. Do a 'quality of life' update of Legion's dialogue to be (even more) in line with the Awakening depiction? Also, maybe it would be better to change instances of where the word 'clone' is used into something more in line with the medieval setting? The words 'copy' or 'duplicate' come to mind.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

Thanks guys!

Wow that's a lot of stuff, I didn't know that much has been changed officially. 

So yeah, I did change Chris to Kris, I just forgot to put it in the post :) . And thanks for the clarification, Wyvern Dale will be kept the same and I'll change Dragon's Altar to Dragon's Table.

RedEyedDrake: I'm pressed for time at the moment, but I'll be sure to address the stuff in your list tomorrow. Thanks!

1 hour ago, joesteve1914 said:

Thanks guys!

Wow that's a lot of stuff, I didn't know that much has been changed officially. 

So yeah, I did change Chris to Kris, I just forgot to put it in the post :) . And thanks for the clarification, Wyvern Dale will be kept the same and I'll change Dragon's Altar to Dragon's Table.

RedEyedDrake: I'm pressed for time at the moment, but I'll be sure to address the stuff in your list tomorrow. Thanks!

Actually, Wyvern Valley is actually the same location (I know that it's in Valm in Awakening), Ayven Knight (VincentASM) did posted it on the Name Chart. And can you might change the name of the title from "Heroes of Light and Shadow" to "New Mystery of the Emblem" and might put something with "Avatar" also, it's the same localized name from the Avatar mechanics from Awakening and Fates? But, thanks alot for updating the patch with using the localized names.

5097 - Fire Emblem Shin Monshou no Nazo (Japan)-patched_21_18372.png5097 - Fire Emblem Shin Monshou no Nazo (Japan)-patched_44_18055.png

And you might need to change Marth's title as "Hero-King", Cain's title as "Bull", and Abel's title as "Panther" since Cain's and Abel's title names were mentioned from Stalh's and Sully's support conversation and Marth's title was actually used in Awakening, Fates, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, and Heroes as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

Neato! My only question being, would applying the patch reset my file? I remember such a thing happening when trying to apply the Gaiden patch for FE11, while I was on CH16 and have to start over, and I hope thats not the case

@King Marth:

I'm going to have to disagree with the notion of changing "Heroes of Light and Shadow" into "New Mystery of the Emblem". The former is more in line with the titles "Shadow Dragon" and "Shadows of Valentia" and, given that all three games take place over a comparatively short period of time, I think that all three having similar names would be more fitting. We can even refer to them as 'the Shadow Saga/Trilogy' if we want to.

@joe:

Alright, looking forward to your commentary on my suggestions.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

I don't really want to step in too much, but as one of the original translation members here are some of my thoughts regarding the suggestions proposed.

Wyvern Valley in Valm is a different place, but the two share the same name in the Japanese versions. I don't believe this is a coincidence and it's entirely possible the Wyverns (they can fly after all) moved nest or there are multiple nests. In any case, it is 100% an allusion IMO.

"Ice Dragon Shrine" was chosen due to text restraints. No idea if you could fit it in, without making it I. Dragon Temple or something, but I hate abbreviations. Besides, it could be a shrine from the perspective of a dragon. Either way, pretty sure the terms are synonymous in Japanese, but I guess this *is* an English translation XD

You can use gender-neutral pronouns for Naga if you want, but we found it waaaay too bothersome and slightly contrived (Naga this, Naga that gets really repetitive). Granted, it is a bit of a leap for everybody to sudden know that Naga is female. But whatever you do, don't call Naga a king or a "he". We all know better now.

I'd advise against retconning things unless necessary. So I wouldn't change Michalis's threat too much. Heroes is technically a spin-off so New Mystery should be the baseline, not the other way round. In my opinion anyway.

Likewise, I don't think it's a good idea to change all instances of the Palace. In Shadow Dragon, they said it's "sometimes" referred to as the Millenium Court. AKA it's a nickname.

Dude, don't get rid of the Aimee reference. We don't need to be NOA.

About Owen/Charon, I believe it's a known inconsistency with the lore. You have to realise the developer's notes are a resource, not a bible. Not only that, but things can change mid-development. Kaga always made a point about this, in future games too.

My Unit should totally be Avatar. I was way too lazy to change the related graphics after Awakening launched.

Also, as I mentioned via PM, definitely try to scour through Heroes for nuggets. Like Navarre should be the "Scarlet Sword", rather than Scarlet Swordsman or whatever we called him.

Hmmm. . .the only thing I want to comment are on names.

"Clarisse" apparently means "bright" in Latin.  This goes with the light/shadow moniker.  For Eine, I'd go with "Aurora".  It's also a light-based name, and it doesn't invoke images of my own archaic middle name.

@Vincent:

1. Oh. They use the exact same name in Japanese? Scratch my previous point about that then. If that is the case then please DO go with 'Wyvern Valley'.

2. I'm sorry but what? 'Shrine' and 'Temple' are both six letters long, are they not? Or is it because of the 'i' in 'shrine'?

And I actually wouldn't mine an 'I. Dragon Temple', tough. 'Fire Dragon' and 'Mage Dragon' also get shortened to 'F. Dragon' and 'M. Dragon' somewhere, do they not?

3. You don't have to JUST start talking about 'Naga' instead of 'he/she'. You can also use terms like "...then the war/Falchion/Binding Shield was (so and so)..." where it fits.

4. I was more referring to using 'Pales' as if it is an actual term, at least in the English version. That was actually a translation error to begin with, was it not? Using 'the Archanean Royal Palace' where it fits works but still, I feel that my point about 'the Millennium Court' still stands.

5. I see. But maybe it would be best to go with Charon for the sake of consistency. Unless Owen turns out to be some other relative of Midia's, as per the Japanese script?

6. Wasn't Navarre actually referred to as 'the Scarlet Swordsman' at some point in Shadow Dragon, though? Chapter 3, the Event Recap, something? If he was, he probably gets called 'Scarlet Sword' in Heroes due to text limitations.  I mean, they refer to Seliph as 'Heir of Light' and not 'Scion of Light' even though the latter is a better fit for 'Child of Light'. Meanwhile, the weapons angle refers to FE1/3 or brings more attention to the existence of the Hauteclere as regalia of Macedon.

@eclipse:

I'm going to argue that real life has set it up too perfectly for this chance to go to waste. Not to mention that Eremiya is a bishop, so that is another point for being thematically appropriate. And the idea of Clarisse, who usually refers to Katarina by her full other name (the full 'Agnes' in the case I'm arguing for), calling her 'Nancy' in her own final moments really works for me ('Nancy' IS a nickname-ish form of 'Agnes', isn't it? I'm not absolutely sure).

Still, I get your point.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

2. The font is variable width. If you print screen your post and overlap "Shrine" and "Temple", you'll see there's a few pixels difference. Which is a LOT for long names. Yeah, we did, but I really didn't like the abbreviations for those. Sadly they didn't give us a lot of space to play around with : /

4. We never used Pales AFAIK (only in the original SNES version). If we did then, whoops. No, it's not a translation error, but people keep thinking it's one. In the original, they even call the "palace" Pales Palace/Castle. It just so happens Pales looks exactly like what you'd translate to Palace. (Or it's some clever wordplay.)

6. I don't recall his title appearing in Shadow Dragon, but I wasn't really paying attention much. There's stuff like Silent Sword and Laconic Swordsman. Hmm, yeah, I was bemused about Seliph. That said, I dunno if they're referring to him as the "Noble of Light" or "Light Inheritor" in Heroes. I need to check the Japanese version...

EDIT: His title is "Light Inheritor" in Heroes, so "Heir of Light" is more appropriate.

Edited by VincentASM

I see. Though, I'm pretty sure that the title on his character screen does read 'Heir of Light'. At least in the US version.

Also, I forgot to include this in my previous post but...

In a similar vein to Navarre, I think that Shadow Dragon did refer to Naga as the Divine Dragon King at some point, didn't it?

And I'm going to have to disagre.on the subject of "knowing better". Kaga has kept it consistently gender neutral, Xane shows that the dragons had acess to shapeshifting magic unparalleled to explain Jugdral and, like I said, Awakening's Naga looks too much like Nagi for me to ignore that. There is too much room for ambiguity about the original Naga for me to support anything other than keeping the gender neutrality anywhere we can.

And no, I wouldn't trust modern IS about any answer they'd give regarding this aspect of the original Naga. They aren't that sort of company for me.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

No, I can see where you're coming from, but you're looking at it from the perspective of a purely English-speaking fan.

I dunno how to explain myself without sounding pretentious, but there are some things you can only see if you think in English AND Japanese.

Kaga didn't keep Naga consistently gender neutral, Japanese kept Naga consistently gender neutral. AFAIK pretty much the entirety of Japanese grammar is gender-neutral. Heck, even the word we associate with "King" is gender-neutral in Japanese.

I can't really argue with Xane, although he always seemed like a special case to me.

Nah, IMO Nagi is quite clearly Naga, just like how we knew the Black Knight's identity before it was revealed. Her title, ending and dialogue with Medeus all allude to her being Naga. Plus her freakin' name in the game code is "Naga".

Awakening simply confirmed the theory (although it's annoying how they never acknowledged Tiki as Naga's daughter).

We don't need modern IS to confirm anything when Naga has already appeared as a woman in Genealogy.

On the other hand, except for a potentially historically inaccurate representation of Naga in Mystery of the Emblem (why would Naga need to wield a sword and shield?), Naga has never been shown to be a male. The stuff about Naga appearing as both genders in Awakening was added in the localisation to "fix" the error in Shadow Dragon.

Anyway, that's just my view on the lore, which doesn't really have much impact on the translation patch. I'm totally fine with keeping the pronouns gender-neutral, but it wasn't done on purpose for the reason you think.

On a general note, does anyone else feel that the 'Wyvern Dale' should be changed ' Wyvern Valley' after all. If their names are the exact same in Japanese, as Vincet claims, then I don't see why not. And yes, this is despite the fact that the two places are on different continents. We all know that the official teams have done worse in regards to duplicate names, anyway.

I'm also up for debate on any other points that I have brought up so far. Like, say, what do other people on about the "I. Dragon Temple" abbreviation being used where necessary? Or the term "sectarian mages"? Or anything else?

@joe:

A few extra points to add to my previous ones.

13. The screen for the extra chapters used to call them 'side quests'. Should that not be updated to 'paralogues' now?

14. Maybe add an extra sentence to when Michalis tells Rucke to bring Minerva to him? I don't know, I always found it jarring that when she appears on the screen at that point the wyvern is already there. Probably not that big of a deal but I thought I'd bring it up.

15. There are a few points where Katarina is referred to as Clarisse's big sister (or was it Clarisse being referred to as Katarina's little sister?). You sure that wasn't supposed to be the other way around? Katarina certainly looks younger than Clarrise. I guess that the terms could be intentionally used the way that I have just described with the implication being that Eremiya found Katarina before Clarrise but it doesn't hurt to check with the translation team.

@Vincet:

Well, if nothing else, I'd argue that putting in the effort to be true to the original FE3 is worth the effort. We'll see. Also, Xane explicitly referring to Naga as a 'she' and that passing by without comment from Marth or anyone would be odd. So sticking to gender neutrality would also avoid that. Also, the wiki says that Xane refers to Naga with outright masculine terms. Something to further check for someone actually versed in the Japanese language (unlike myself), then.

Also, having checked over the script for chapters 2 and 3 for Shadow Dragon as well as the appropriate character endings I can't actually find any instances of Navarre's nickname being brought up. And the same goes for Naga's title. Nor did the term 'dragon tribes' ever come up (the one time something like that did they were referred to as a 'clan'). However, if someone does find these terms in Shadow Dragon then please speak up. I admit that I might have still missed them. But if not then I guess that the terms "Scarlet Sword" for Navarre and "Red Dragoon" for Minerva are the way to go after all. And unless Naga's title does come up in Awakening I guess it would be best to go with something like 'the Divine Dragon Ruler'. As for the subject of 'tribe', 'clan' or any other such term...

Was the term 'tribes' decided upon because the Japanese term for the Laguz tribes and the one used here are the same? Also, the 'clan' thing comes from Bantu's recruitment dialogue in Shadow Dragon. Is the Japanese term used there the same? If all three are the same then I'll have to advice to change the usage of the term 'tribe' to 'clan'. Ditto for the term used here and the one being used in Bantu's recruitment dialogue being the same but the term for the Laguz tribes being different. But if Bantu's term is the odd one out then sticking to the 'tribe' translation is just fine.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

On 2/14/2017 at 5:24 PM, RedEyedDrake said:
Spoiler

Well...

1. The 'Ice Dragon Shrine' should be renamed to the 'Ice Dragon Temple'. There is no way that this sort of building is a 'shrine'.

2. Maybe come up with a term for Gharnef's followers that is more appropriate than "heretic bishops". Especially since none of them nor Gharnef are actually bishops anymore. Nor are bishops the only promoted magic users in the game. I mean, Gotoh is called the 'archsage' so why not? I'd say that the term 'sectarian mages' works, given how 'sectarian' is listed as a synonym for both 'heretic' and 'unorthodox' and not to mention the actual meaning of the term.

Oh, and if this does get changed then so should Julian's dialogue upon his recruitment. Have him talk about a 'strange person in robes' or something. And did the Japanese term that was used really identify the person in question as male? Because if not, there is at least one antagonist of each gender that this could be referring to.

3. The opening of Chapter 12 (and any other place where it is mentioned) should refer to the Flame Barrel as 'THE Flame Barrel'. The current text is "This is Flame Barrel". And maybe change the name of the event in the Event Recap section to match? Naturally, this sort of thing should apply to most if not all location names in general.

4. Wasn't the original Naga always referred to with gender neutral pronouns in the original FE3's Japanese script? If so, I think that all dialogue that refers to Naga should be changed accordingly. I'm not suggesting referring to Naga as it but to word the text so that the terms 'he' or 'she' are never needed and to use terms like '...then Naga did so and so...' or 'And so Naga decided...', ect. And I used the term 'original Naga' because Nagi being female doesn't mean anything due to how reincarnation is depicted to work in various mythologies. Speaking of, Awakening's Naga looks more like Nagi after going through an art update than anything else.

5. Thirding what Ini and FoD have said.

6. Maybe change Michalis' threat to Rucke into one talking about a weapon in general rather than a lance in particular? He is an axe user in Heroes, after all. Though, an axe isn't the sort of weapon you'd shove down someone's throat. So then, "...feel this weapon upon your throat...", maybe? I mean, I'm aware that he joins with only lances in his inventory but still. Minerva talks about being a pegasus rider before becoming a wyvern rider in the second support conversation between her and Catria as if those are separate things despite how that works in this game as far as promotions go (and that bit should be kept as such, of course).

Oh, and Palla is a sword user in Heroes but her first support conversation with Minerva also mentions a lance/spear (and Minerva talks about a spear of her own as well). Speaking of, the avatar talking about swords while being in a different class was very odd. Perhaps it would be best to just go ahead and change all similar mentions of a specific weapon into ones that just talk about 'a/the/your weapon' in general? Unless the dialogue is specifically such where it doesn't work, of course (like the support conversations between the avatar and Sedgar, for example). Or maybe just do that for the characters who have weapon differences between here and Heroes (so just Caeda, Draug, Palla, Sheena and Michalis) or elsewhere (Minerva and maybe other people between FE11 and here vs FE1 and FE3) as well as the avatar.

However, I think that stuff like Malice referring to herself as a mercenary should be kept instead of changing it to the more catch all 'sellsword' (Navarre calls himself that in the third Archanea Chronicles chapter, does he not?) or something similar because she is, indeed, in the Mercenary class in Awakening. So stuff like that, by contrast, should be kept. The male=Mercenary and female=Myrmidon thing was stupid anyway. Though, on that note, maybe chapter 6x would be more appropriately titled "Sellsword Squad"? Between Caesar and Radd only one of them is in the actual Mercenary class.

Oh, and speaking of Heroes, how about changing Minerva's title into 'Red Dragoon' to match the Heroes one?

7. You didn't list changing the avatar's default name to Kris. Please don't forget that. Also, don't forget things like items names. Clarisse's Bow comes to mind. Oh, and if the term 'Hero-King' ever comes up...well, you get it by now.

8. All instances of referring to Archanea's capital should be changed to refer to it as 'the Millennium Court'.

9. I think that the third support conversation between the avatar and Samson would be better of if the avatar were to say "I asked the vendor lady to write them in the last time I stopped by there". Having only played Shadow Dragon and Gaiden before playing Heroes of Light and Shadow (I decided to go through the franchise in order back when I discovered it) I remember being really bothered by the avatar suddenly bringing up a 'Miss Aimee' that was never mentioned before as if I was supposed to already know who that is in that instace. The signature on the letter that is part of that conversation would have to changed to match, though. Maybe change it to something 'everyone's favorite vendor' for more flavor?

10. On the subject of Katarina's name...Well, I think I hit the jackpot.

Search Clarisse on wikipedia. Note how it says that an individual member of the Poor Clares is called a 'Clarisse'. Now, that order is named after Clare of Assisi. So here's the thing. Go to her article and read the first paragraph under the biography part. Note the birth name of that last one of her blood sisters to be listed. Note what said sister did with it. Having said all that, it is now my firm belief that having Katarina's other name be anything besides 'Agnes' would be a colossal waste of an opportunity.

And besides, I don't think the name Agnes has been used in Fire Emblem before, ever. As in, not even for characters mentioned in passing like, say, Marth and Elice's mother being Liza. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Also, watch the Shadows of Valentia equivalents of Frey, Norne, ect. prove me wrong. Because of course it will end up this way now that such a perfectly fitting name has been found.

On top of that, perhaps Katarina should be referred to by her other name, even in the textbox, during the second DLC chapter (and I mean even after talking to Katarina the village girl and said Katarina leaving)? She doesn't use the 'Katarina' alias until much later, after all. But her text box using 'Katarina' throughout the entirety of the main story is fitting.

11. One of the houses that you can visit in chapter 19 refers to Midia as "...the daughter of Archanea's former supreme commander, Count Owen". I'm sorry but what? Midia's father is the deceased marquess Charon of Deil. Did someone make a mistake somewhere? Maybe when going over the Japanese text for that house?

12. Do a 'quality of life' update of Legion's dialogue to be (even more) in line with the Awakening depiction? Also, maybe it would be better to change instances of where the word 'clone' is used into something more in line with the medieval setting? The words 'copy' or 'duplicate' come to mind.

(spoiler to shorten length of post)

1. I'll see what I can do, if I can fit it I'll definitely change it. I'm not sure how limited the space is, but I'll take a look at it. 

2. IMO this is pretty minor, but I am out to improve this as much as I can :). I'll do some research on this, but from what you posted I think "sectarian mages" does make more sense.

3. Hmm this one would depend on the Japanese script. Could anyone who speaks Japanese confirm that "The" should be in front of "Flame Barrel"?

4. I always saw Naga as a female (Maybe because the only games I've played with Naga in it were FE11-FE13), but I suppose if Naga is gender-neutral it would make sense. I don't think replacing all pronouns with Naga's name would work though. Just read the two sentences before this one out loud :^_^:. Either way, this is probably going to require a little more work than the rest of the stuff so I'd like to get to the other ones first, then we can have a long discussion about what to do about this. ;):

6. Like Vincent said Heroes is more of a spinoff, versus FE12 being a main series game; Heroes should be conforming to FE12 in terms of weapon use consistency, so I don't think FE12's script is at fault here. Plus "lance" sounds more natural than "weapon" in that case imo :) . And yeah, Crimson Dragoon should be Red Dragoon, thanks! (even though Crimson sounds a million times better to me :D)

8. What game was "the Millennium Court" mentioned in? I'll look into this when I replay FE12 soon (I'll probably start Friday) since I don't remember exactly how this is handled in the translation patch.

9. I'm gonna have to side with Vincent on this one, I don't really want to go as far as removing her name completely from it. Maybe the sentence can be modified to make it clear that she's the vendor?
One more thing on this - since this patch is based on the American release of FE11, should Aimee be Larabel? What do you guys think? https://serenesforest.net/general/localisation-changes/issues/ (bottom of the page)

10. Wow... that's an amazing find! I like "Aurora" too, but imo "Agnes" couldn't fit more perfectly. What does everyone else think?

11. Yeah that makes sense to me. Could someone who speaks Japanese confirm this?

12. Yes that is also planned.

8 hours ago, RedEyedDrake said:

@joe:

A few extra points to add to my previous ones.

13. The screen for the extra chapters used to call them 'side quests'. Should that not be updated to 'paralogues' now?

14. Maybe add an extra sentence to when Michalis tells Rucke to bring Minerva to him? I don't know, I always found it jarring that when she appears on the screen at that point the wyvern is already there. Probably not that big of a deal but I thought I'd bring it up.

15. There are a few points where Katarina is referred to as Clarisse's big sister (or was it Clarisse being referred to as Katarina's little sister?). You sure that wasn't supposed to be the other way around? Katarina certainly looks younger than Clarrise. I guess that the terms could be intentionally used the way that I have just described with the implication being that Eremiya found Katarina before Clarrise but it doesn't hurt to check with the translation team.

13. Thanks, I didn't even think of that. Those are graphics though so I'm dreading having to edit those :rolleyes:

14. I'll have to look at this also when I replay FE12 since I don't quite understand.

15. I agree. If someone could confirm who's older between Katarina and Clarisse that would be great.

Edited by joesteve1914

@joe:

3. This is less due to any Japanese text there might or might not be and more due to the fact that this is how it is usually done in English.

...Is it not?

6. Well, is nothing else, I figure that Minerva's support conversations with Palla having her talk about how she couldn't rule as well as she could "wield a lance/spear" is a bit odd. I mean, them sparring via lance vs lance combat is acceptable but the wording I just listed? That makes it sound as if Minerva's main weapon is the lance. Which it most definitely isn't. Oh, but please agree and do what I have been asking for here for the avatar. Seeing my mage guy talk about swords is on a whole different level.

Also, the thing about Michalis. He is the crown prince of Macedon. Macedon's only weapon regalia is an axe. So him having lances as his preferred weapon is also odd. You'd think he would have been trained to favor axes so that he could wield the Hauteclere.

Also, in addition to "Red Dragoon", could you please read over my responses to Vincent (I think it would be easier on everyone this way)? So how about going with "Scarlet Sword"? What about "the Divine Dragon Ruler"? And should it really be 'tribe'? Or would 'clan' be better?

8. That would be Shadow Dragon, of course. Whenever the Archanean royal palace is spoken of it always gets referred to as "the Millennium Court".

14. I'm referring to how when Minerva's model appears on the map during the conversation between Michalis and Rucke she uses the regular Dracoknight model. Now, we've the artwork during the opening narration for chapter 2 has already shown us her being imprisoned in her armor (for some reason) so her appearing already in armor during the conversation isn't that odd. But the wyvern that is part of the model just appeared out of nowhere. That is what I found a bit jarring. Slipping in a sentence about getting Minerva a wyvern would fix that.

15. I don't think there is any information on that beyond what is in the game and their character designs. And looking at their character designs I just can't see Katarina being biologically older than Clarisse.

Oh, and some new ones:

16. What King Marth 64 said about Cain and Abel's titles is absolutely correct. Assuming those actually get mentioned somewhere (no, I'm not referring to the names of their individual endings since those have nothing to do with the titles "Bull" and "Panther").

17. I think that, like the word 'clone', the word 'country' is too modern and any instances of it being used should be replaced with 'land', 'realm', 'kingdom' and other such words. And, of course, I'd advise to not overuse a select one or two words that might be appropriate here. Variation across the game would be key.

18. Was the Fire Emblem ever referred to as "the Conqueror's Proof" (as it does in its item description in here) in Shadow Dragon? Because if it wasn't I'd advice to change that title to something more organic sounding in English. And isn't there a term that can mean both 'proof' and 'emblem/crest/symbol/sign/mark' in Japanese anyway? I figure that this was the reason behind the translation being what it currently is, was it not?

Edited by RedEyedDrake

I don't see why you're changing stuff like 'Dragon's Altar' to 'Dragon's Table'. 'Dragon's Table' is the name of that location during the time period of Awakening. Names change. This is even a plot point in the japanese version of Awakening where the Fire Emblem is called by a different name until Emmeryn (or was it TIki) that later says that the item with the new name and the legendary Fire Emblem are the same.

@RJ:

I'd imagine that it would be for the same reasons that I now support the idea of there being two Wyvern Valleys. As in, the Japanese names being the same (Dragon's Table) or not the same (Binding Shield vs Pedestal of Flames) across the two games.

...Unless, of course, they aren't the same for the former and/or are the same for the latter. I don't actually know whether they are or aren't. Though, the wiki would imply that what I just described is indeed the case.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

Hmm, I dunno, I'd stick with Bishops for Gharnef's posse TBH. That's literally what the games call them. I don't think they care so much about religion than sounding cool. Who knows, maybe Gharnef has his own mini church?

I think it might cause an issue with alliances (on the mini map), since "Heretic" barely fit.

With regards to Flame Barrel and any geographical location, there is no "The _____" in Japanese AFAIK. That's something you can choose to add in English if you want to.

The Dragon's Table is a similar boat as Wyvern Valley, except it's literally in the same location. So there's no reason not to change it to its localised counterpart.

I don't recall which chapter they mention Katarina being the older sister, but I don't remember noticing any issues. Maybe you can jog my memory? ^^

@Vincent:

The bishop thing is a relic of the NES days. IS let Minerva get an axe regalia so why not? None of them are actually bishops anymore (other than Eremiya) anyway.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

On 2/14/2017 at 10:00 PM, King Marth 64 said:

And you might need to change Marth's title as "Hero-King", Cain's title as "Bull", and Abel's title as "Panther" since Cain's and Abel's title names were mentioned from Stalh's and Sully's support conversation and Marth's title was actually used in Awakening, Fates, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, and Heroes as well.

Yeah, thanks I'll change those.

On 2/16/2017 at 5:17 AM, RedEyedDrake said:

@joe:

3. This is less due to any Japanese text there might or might not be and more due to the fact that this is how it is usually done in English.

...Is it not?

6. Well, is nothing else, I figure that Minerva's support conversations with Palla having her talk about how she couldn't rule as well as she could "wield a lance/spear" is a bit odd. I mean, them sparring via lance vs lance combat is acceptable but the wording I just listed? That makes it sound as if Minerva's main weapon is the lance. Which it most definitely isn't. Oh, but please agree and do what I have been asking for here for the avatar. Seeing my mage guy talk about swords is on a whole different level.

Also, the thing about Michalis. He is the crown prince of Macedon. Macedon's only weapon regalia is an axe. So him having lances as his preferred weapon is also odd. You'd think he would have been trained to favor axes so that he could wield the Hauteclere.

Also, in addition to "Red Dragoon", could you please read over my responses to Vincent (I think it would be easier on everyone this way)? So how about going with "Scarlet Sword"? What about "the Divine Dragon Ruler"? And should it really be 'tribe'? Or would 'clan' be better?

8. That would be Shadow Dragon, of course. Whenever the Archanean royal palace is spoken of it always gets referred to as "the Millennium Court".

14. I'm referring to how when Minerva's model appears on the map during the conversation between Michalis and Rucke she uses the regular Dracoknight model. Now, we've the artwork during the opening narration for chapter 2 has already shown us her being imprisoned in her armor (for some reason) so her appearing already in armor during the conversation isn't that odd. But the wyvern that is part of the model just appeared out of nowhere. That is what I found a bit jarring. Slipping in a sentence about getting Minerva a wyvern would fix that.

15. I don't think there is any information on that beyond what is in the game and their character designs. And looking at their character designs I just can't see Katarina being biologically older than Clarisse.

Oh, and some new ones:

16. What King Marth 64 said about Cain and Abel's titles is absolutely correct. Assuming those actually get mentioned somewhere (no, I'm not referring to the names of their individual endings since those have nothing to do with the titles "Bull" and "Panther").

17. I think that, like the word 'clone', the word 'country' is too modern and any instances of it being used should be replaced with 'land', 'realm', 'kingdom' and other such words. And, of course, I'd advise to not overuse a select one or two words that might be appropriate here. Variation across the game would be key.

18. Was the Fire Emblem ever referred to as "the Conqueror's Proof" (as it does in its item description in here) in Shadow Dragon? Because if it wasn't I'd advice to change that title to something more organic sounding in English. And isn't there a term that can mean both 'proof' and 'emblem/crest/symbol/sign/mark' in Japanese anyway? I figure that this was the reason behind the translation being what it currently is, was it not?

3. I have almost zero knowledge of Japanese, so I didn't know that the definite article "the" doesn't have a Japanese equivalent (thanks Vincent ;):). So yeah I'll be changing it to The Flame Barrel then. I'll look at the other locations and make similar adjustments where needed.

6. I don't know about the Minerva/Michalis thing yet, but I'll definetely be changing the Avatar one. Even though idk why you would make your Avatar a mage :P:

Yeah Red Dragoon will be used instead of Crimson Dragoon, same with Scarlet Sword. Not sure about "Divine Dragon Ruler" yet, where was this used?

8. I'll have to look at the FE11 script and see how "The Millennium Court" is used. I'm leaning towards how it is right now because the original translators clearly decided against using the "Millennium Court" despite it being localized in FE11. But don't worry I will look at it before deciding anything. 

14. It was like this in the original Japanese version, so I don't see any reason to modify it. (unless of course there was a line like that in the original script, in which case that would be a mistranslation and I'd fix it :D )

15. Vincent, I'll try to get back to you on which chapter this is in.

16. Yeah, the only times they're mentioned are in the character guide and in an Abel/Est support. I can't say I agree with NoA's decision (IMO "Great Bull" and "Black Panther" sound much better than just "Bull" and "Panther"), but it is what it is :)

17. Hmm, I wonder did FE13 reference Legion's clones at all? Maybe that will give us some ideas. I kind of agree about "country", I'll have to look at the script. The word is only used 30 times in the script, so variation shouldn't be too difficult.

18. Could anyone answer this? Thanks!

@joe:

6. I meant for this to be a gender neutral replacement for the title 'Divine Dragon King'. As far as I can tell no such title or any sort of equivalent was ever used to refer to Naga in Shadow Dragon. So unless there is such a title in Awakening I don't see why not go for it.

Also, as the term 'tribes' was never used in reference to the dragons in Shadow Dragon, there is still the matter of checking whether Bantu's term from Shadow Dragon is the odd one out in Japanese or not.

17. Yes, at least once. The term 'clone' is used in the current translation in the post battle part of chapter 6x. Though, that is the only instance of it being used that I can remember off the top of my head.

Additionally, you listed the change to the name 'Wyvern's Dale' that is in the OP as a change from that name to the name 'Wyvern's Table'. It should be listed as a change from 'Wyvern's Dale' to 'Wyvern Valley'.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

55 minutes ago, RedEyedDrake said:

@joe:

6. I meant for this to be a gender neutral replacement for the title 'Divine Dragon King'. As far as I can tell no such title or any sort of equivalent was ever used to refer to Naga in Shadow Dragon. So unless there is such a title in Awakening I don't see why not go for it.

Also, as the term 'tribes' was never used in reference to the dragons in Shadow Dragon, there is still the matter of checking whether Bantu's term from Shadow Dragon is the odd one out in Japanese or not.

17. Yes, at least once. The term 'clone' is used in the current translation in the post battle part of chapter 6x. Though, that is the only instance of it being used that I can remember off the top of my head.

Additionally, you listed the change to the name 'Wyvern's Dale' that is in the OP as a change from that name to the name 'Wyvern's Table'. It should be listed as a change from 'Wyvern's Dale' to 'Wyvern Valley'.

6. Agreed.

17. I meant FE13 as in Awakening :)

And thanks I wasn't thinking when I typed that :D

Edited by joesteve1914

@joe:

Another point that I remembered.

19. I think that the term 'temple knights' was thrown around once or twice somewhere in the current translation. This is a nonsensical term and should be replaced with the term(s) 'knights', 'court knights', 'castle knights' and/or some other similar term that makes at least some degree of sense in comparison. The only 'temples' in the game are the Fane of Raman and the Ice Dragon Temple and there was no talk of knights in relation to either of those places.