Updated FE12 translation patch (Beta 2 released!)

On 6/4/2017 at 5:53 AM, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

It's not the same item in the Japanese version. It's the Star Gemstone in the Japanese version, not the Star Orb/Starsphere. So they're not relocalizing Starsphere, they're localizing an entirely different item.

And, as said above, it's impossible to be the starsphere anyway since that thing is broken during Echoes with the pieces scattered across Archanea.

on that note, the orbs didn't have the same Japanese names in Awakening either. In Awakening, they were called the Five Flames- White Flame, Black Flame, etc. So Argent isn't a relocalization of the Lightsphere, and so on.

do we have an E.T.A. on the name chart yet?

I've started one here -

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B1DDdrdGBECm3Kvdga9aa09WWlP5tVVlcZybTTetN-w/edit?usp=sharing

I've been really busy with my job lately (:dry:), so that's all I've got so far.

But if anyone wants to help add stuff to it let me know and I'll send you a link to edit it :^_^:

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, joesteve1914 said:

I've started one here -

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B1DDdrdGBECm3Kvdga9aa09WWlP5tVVlcZybTTetN-w/edit?usp=sharing

I've been really busy with my job lately (:dry:), so that's all I've got so far.

But if anyone wants to help add stuff to it let me know and I'll send you a link to edit it :^_^:

You forgot to put down Hero-King, Bull, Panther, and New Mystery of the Emblem in that Name Chart.

55 minutes ago, RJWalker said:

The document says Mormotard was changed to Marmothod due to Shadows of Valentia. But it's actually called "Mamorthod", not "Marmothod."

Fixed, thanks :D:

6 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

You forgot to put down Hero-King, Bull, Panther, and New Mystery of the Emblem in that Name Chart.

Thanks, I'll add them.

Added some names to the name chart. I think I might have stumbled onto the reason why it's Ice Dragon Shrine instead of Temple; it might be a localization that was already done that the old patch actually picked up on. I'm looking into it, along with what Cain's title is in the old patch and if and where Hero-King is used at all in FE12

when are the changes to Legion's dialogue being implemented? After all the names are set? Because there's some other dialogues that need to be looked over as well that I am looking into

also, the name chart link should be added to the OP so that people can see the name changes across the board

EDIT:

Katarina, Luke, and Roderick are heading the next banner in Heroes. We might get a localization of Katarina's real name.

Legion is also an enemy with dialogue

@joesteve1914 I also found what I believe is an official localization of Ice Dragon Temple in Awakening, looking into it now

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Tiki/Supports

Tiki refers to it as "Temple of the Ice Dragon"; the avatar refers to it as "The Ice Dragon's Temple"

Should we use the first, second, or both? This is a similar situation to Divine Blade/Exalted Falchion

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

On 6/12/2017 at 10:12 AM, dondon151 said:

any idea on an estimate for the final version of this patch? i'd like to start recording a playthrough soon but if the patch isn't finished by then, then i'll have to use the old version.

The only thing left to do is the Chapter slides. I'm having trouble locating them in the rom. Everything else is all done so I'm aiming to have it done this weekend if I find the graphics by then. I guess I'm just going to have to diff the translated rom with the jpn one, no big deal it'll just take a while. Edit - Hero of the Fire Emblems is going to be rewriting Legion's dialogue as well as some other stuff to be more accurate to the original Japanese, so that'll probably delay it a bit more. (But I'll release a Beta 2 with everything except the rewritten text finished hopefully by this weekend.)

Also I'm really looking forward to your playthrough! I loved your FE6 and FE11 ones and I was so disappointed when I heard that you cancelled FE12.

20 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Added some names to the name chart. I think I might have stumbled onto the reason why it's Ice Dragon Shrine instead of Temple; it might be a localization that was already done that the old patch actually picked up on. I'm looking into it, along with what Cain's title is in the old patch and if and where Hero-King is used at all in FE12

when are the changes to Legion's dialogue being implemented? After all the names are set? Because there's some other dialogues that need to be looked over as well that I am looking into

also, the name chart link should be added to the OP so that people can see the name changes across the board

EDIT:

Katarina, Luke, and Roderick are heading the next banner in Heroes. We might get a localization of Katarina's real name.

Legion is also an enemy with dialogue

@joesteve1914 I also found what I believe is an official localization of Ice Dragon Temple in Awakening, looking into it now

I looked up "Bull" in the script, and the only time it appears is in the character guide (he's referred to as "Great Bull"). "Black Panther" comes up in the guide and also in a support conversation. The only instance of hero king that I remember right now is in the intro, but I'll be sure to check that later. 

As far as Legion's dialogue,  @RedEyedDrake suggested that. I probably shouldn't have put that in the OP since I don't plan on doing that myself; I'm not that great of a writer and I'm not sure to what extent his dialogue needs to be rewritten.. If anyone else wants to take a shot at it they're welcome to, but I'm not planning on doing it myself :(

That heroes banner could be interesting. It really annoys me that they confirmed they are using "New Mystery of the Emblem" as the official title. I suppose we should come to expect inconsistencies from them at this point :D

And yeah let me know what you find about the ice temple. 

Edited by joesteve1914

35 minutes ago, joesteve1914 said:

The only thing left to do is the Chapter slides. I'm having trouble locating them in the rom. Everything else is all done so I'm aiming to have it done this weekend if I find the graphics by then. I guess I'm just going to have to diff the translated rom with the jpn one, no big deal it'll just take a while.

Also I'm really looking forward to your playthrough! I loved your FE6 and FE11 ones and I was so disappointed when I heard that you cancelled FE12.

I looked up "Bull" in the script, and the only time it appears is in the character guide (he's referred to as "Great Bull"). "Black Panther" comes up in the guide and also in a support conversation. The only instance of hero king that I remember right now is in the intro, but I'll be sure to check that later. 

As far as Legion's dialogue,  @RedEyedDrake suggested that. I probably shouldn't have put that in the OP since I don't plan on doing that myself; I'm not that great of a writer and I'm not sure to what extent his dialogue needs to be rewritten.. If anyone else wants to take a shot at it they're welcome to, but I'm not planning on doing it myself :(

That heroes banner could be interesting. It really annoys me that they confirmed they are using "New Mystery of the Emblem" as the official title. I suppose we should come to expect inconsistencies from them at this point :D

And yeah let me know what you find about the ice temple. 

I'm going over some key dialogue like Legion's dialogue myself with a few other people. Since you're doing parts of the script dialogue over anyway, is there any chance we could work it out to where I run the kanji by you and what I think the best approximation for those dialogues are to be in line with localization? The only legwork you'd have to do would be putting it in. Legion's dialogue is basically a matter of using the same code of style as he has in Awakening and Heroes, and applying that to what he says. His dialogue is written with an intentionally strange grammar, and Awakening and Heroes approximate that to English in a specific way

Also, I found the two localized names for it, taken from Avatar X Tiki support. What should I put down on the name chart? EDIT: I put both down with a forward slash separating them

I also updated Cain's current epithet as "Great Bull" now that you found it in the script. I also moved Roderick up by Sheena and removed the "voting gauntlet" specification since he's in the next banner. I hope the layout I made the namechart and the notes I added are acceptable

5 minutes ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Legion's dialogue is basically a matter of using the same code of style as he has in Awakening and Heroes, and applying that to what he says. His dialogue is written with an intentionally strange grammar, and Awakening and Heroes approximate that to English in a specific way

He basically does Gollum speech in Awakening and now Heroes, pluralising nouns where it’s not entirely needed and Uwee hee hee’ing all the time.

19 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

He basically does Gollum speech in Awakening and now Heroes, pluralising nouns where it’s not entirely needed and Uwee hee hee’ing all the time.

Basically, which I can look through and approximate accordingly along with looking at other key things. There's a few things that aren't technically mistranslations, but miss an inflection from the Japanese dialogue that make them way out of character and there's one dialogue in particular that a lot of people take issue with that I'm looking over right now since a very similar dialogue happens between Tiki and Lucina in Awakening.

@joesteve1914 I'd probably put the patch off until a few days after the banner and Echoes of Mystery paralogue, just in case they localize something else at the last minute- assuming they aren't out by this weekend which they might be

16 minutes ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

I'm going over some key dialogue like Legion's dialogue myself with a few other people. Since you're doing parts of the script dialogue over anyway, is there any chance we could work it out to where I run the kanji by you and what I think the best approximation for those dialogues are to be in line with localization? The only legwork you'd have to do would be putting it in. Legion's dialogue is basically a matter of using the same code of style as he has in Awakening and Heroes, and applying that to what he says. His dialogue is written with an intentionally strange grammar, and Awakening and Heroes approximate that to English in a specific way

Also, I found the two localized names for it, taken from Avatar X Tiki support. What should I put down on the name chart?

I also updated Cain's current epithet as "Great Bull" now that you found it in the script. I also moved Roderick up by Sheena and removed the "voting gauntlet" specification since he's in the next banner. I hope the layout I made the namechart and the notes I added are acceptable

Sure, sounds good. 

What are the names for it? (We're talking about the Ice Dragon Shrine/Temple right?)

Thanks for updating the chart! :)

Something else I just remembered, this always bothered me in fe12. From the Heroes of shadow website -

Spoiler

"In the Japanese version, Tiki affectionately refers to Marth and the Avatar as "Marth-oniichan" and "Avatar-oniichan" (if male) respectively. "Oniichan" literally translates to "big brother," so Tiki is essentially saying "Big Brother Marth" and "Big Brother Avatar."

The English version of Shadow Dragon localised "Marth-oniichan" as "Mar-Mar." However, due to the limitations of our hacking knowledge, as well as limitations of the English language, it's impossible for us do a similar play with the Avatar's name, eg. Vin-Vin for Vincent, and stuff like Chr-Chr for Chris would look silly.

After much argument and apathy, we decided to stick with "Tar-Tar", which is derived from the word "Avatar."

By the way, Tiki still has "Avatar-oniichan" syndrome in Fire Emblem: Awakening, but we could hardly have afforded to wait for Awakening's English release before releasing the translation patch..."

How did Awakening end up handling this?

19 minutes ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

@joesteve1914 I'd probably put the patch off until a few days after the banner and Echoes of Mystery paralogue, just in case they localize something else at the last minute- assuming they aren't out by this weekend which they might be

Yeah that's a good idea. I'd we're lucky Katarina or Legion will mention Clarisse or Eremiya so we have confirmation outside of the website (or maybe even Katarina's real name o_o. I doubt it though).

Although I was going to put out a Beta 2 patch after I update the chapter title graphics. Do you have an approximation of when the dialogue will be done? Because if it'll be relatively soon I'll probably hold off on that beta patch

23 minutes ago, joesteve1914 said:

Yeah that's a good idea. I'd we're lucky Katarina or Legion will mention Clarisse or Eremiya so we have confirmation outside of the website (or maybe even Katarina's real name o_o. I doubt it though).

Although I was going to put out a Beta 2 patch after I update the chapter title graphics. Do you have an approximation of when the dialogue will be done? Because if it'll be relatively soon I'll probably hold off on that beta patch

You'll probably be interested to note that Tokyo Mirage Sessions handled this, not Awakening; she uses "Big Brother" for Itsuki 20160513_180938_thumb.png

I think since the avatar can have multiple names, it is probably best that we go the route of TMS and have her call the avatar Big Brother in the same vein as she does Itsuki. "Tar-Tar" is.... really strange, even with the default name of Kris. And I didn't even pick up that it's supposed to be derived from "Avatar" until it was pointed out to me because it seems out of nowhere.

Awakening itself has Mar-Mar, and Tiki even says this when she recalls Marth on his death bed... which is kind of soul crushing how she says it.

Should I put Tar-Tar > Big Brother down on account of TMS?

Right now I have no idea how soon I'll be able to get the raw kanji for legion's dialogue; right now we're mulling over one other piece of dialogue which should hopefully be done soon. Legion's entire set of dialogue is a lot... but it might get done soon, no idea how soon. I'll probably send at least that one minor note we're looking at if not the entire Legion thing. I'll probably wait until I see how they make him talk in Heroes to even start on that

also, the two names are "temple of the ice dragon" (Tiki) and "ice's dragon's temple" (the avatar)

on the awakening note, it does this:

• Avatar: Well, that is...most flattering. I don't know what to say. ...... 
  • Tiki: What is it, Mar-Mar? 
  • Tiki: Ah! Forgive me! I was in habit of calling Marth by that name... It must have slipped out by mistake. Gracious, the resemblance is so uncanny, it's making me forget what millennium it is! 
  • Avatar: Heh, I suppose there are worse people to be mistaken for... 
  • Tiki: Please, forgive me. 
  • Avatar: Actually, I must admit, I rather enjoyed the attention...

I'm not 1000% sure, but I think how Awakening's localization "handled" it is by avoiding it altogether and having Tiki let Mar-Mar slip out. Anyone can feel free to correct me on this.

i feel like TMS's "big brother" will work better for the avatar himself.

er, Tiki only does this for MALE avatars, right?

Datamined stuff from Heroes shows that Legion refers to someone called 'Reese', saying he likes this person but thinks Clarisse is cold. So when the new update comes out along with confirmation, Eine -> Reese.

EDIT: Clarisse's dialogue also refers to her sister 'Reese'.

Edited by RJWalker

1 minute ago, RJWalker said:

Datamined stuff from Heroes shows that Legion refers to someone called 'Reese', saying he likes this person but thinks Clarisse is cold. So when the new update comes out along with confirmation, Eine -> Reese.

Wait, where is Katarina's localized real name Reese mentioned at, I don't see it appeared in this thread?

And also, I kinda wondered if the Assassination Group that Katarina, Legion, and Clarisse was from that will get a creative localized name similar to like the Deliverance in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and Shepherds in Awakening?

IMG_8803.thumb.PNG.2ece1d13ed977e1db25a04dfb8904477.PNG

Absolutely no doubt about it. Eine got localized as Reese.

EDIT: well, I'm late to this party. I'll update the name chart once I finish this paralogue

@joesteve1914 I think, in light of this, the poll on what Eine should be localized as should be closed. Maybe keep the Binding Shield one open unless you have to close both. Also, have you decided what you think on my proposal for Tar-Tar?

EDIT 2: Updated. Added Clarisse and Reese to ingame heroes names. Did I miss anyone?

How did we not think of Reese before :lol:

Although I've only ever seen it as short for the name "Maurice" so seeing it as a girls name is a little weird.

I wish that they mentioned Eremiya though. Her, Marisha, and the Grust twins I still have doubts about. 

Edited by joesteve1914

1 minute ago, joesteve1914 said:

How did we not think of Reese before :lol:

Although I've only ever seen it as short for the name "Maurice" so seeing it as a girls name is a little weird.

I wish that they mentioned Eremiya though. Her and Marishia I still have doubts about. 

I'm working on a write up for Legion's dialogues as we speak. I'll PM it when completed

1 minute ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

I'm working on a write up for Legion's dialogues as we speak. I'll PM it when completed

Cool, sounds good. 

I never even thought about it, but are you working from a script dump or are you using the game itself? Because locating all the dialogue for one character is easy with the script dump. 

2 minutes ago, joesteve1914 said:

Cool, sounds good. 

I never even thought about it, but are you working from a script dump or are you using the game itself? Because locating all the dialogue for one character is easy with the script dump. 

...I was using the game (for 12 specifically; some things like the tucked away Ice Dragon's Temple in Awakening were tip offs from friends) but I guess I'll use a script dump now

The issue I have is getting the Japanese dialogue, as of writing I'm basically having someone feed me the kanji where I need to check straight from their Japanese playthrough (one other relevant thing I got the kanji for to check, and the fan translation makes this specific moment WAY out of character because of what seems to be a misinterpretation of the kanji for the context)