Updated FE12 translation patch (Beta 2 released!)

1 hour ago, xatzimi said:

For a final question, what are you doing with the character's item names. Stuff like "Rody's Lance" would not fit when changed to "Roderick's Lance." These aren't in your changelog, so I'm curious if you checked them over them (or just did replace-all). I've got a couple in my save, so if it carries over with the patch, I'll give it a look.

Oh, and finally, have you considered changing the "How's Everyone" to whatever it is in Awakening?--"barracks," I believe.

Edit: is my patcher not working, or is it supposed to be smaller?

Roderick's Lance was shortened to "Roderick's Lnc" iirc. 

If "How's Everyone" and "Barracks" share the same name in the japanese version than it will be changed.

And yes its supposed to be smaller (~74 mbs i think)

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/17/2017 at 7:03 PM, xatzimi said:

That's quite peculiar, but I don't know the technicalities of it. However, it now does not work on my flash cart.

Does it work on an emulator?

so, Fire Emblem Warriors has released in the west. The name for War of Shadows has been officially localized in Marth and Celica's support conversations; I delayed this patch a bit to implement any last minute name changes brought about by things localized via Warriors.

if anyone notices anything in Warriors that is a localization of a term exclusive to 12, please let us know here! It would help things move along more smoothly

You'll likely have to use an unpatched rom unless it says otherwise. Did it myself before, didn't work.

As for save transferring, I'd say it depends on your emulator how you go about it. For most, I've seen changing the name of the save file to be the same as the new rom and leaving it where it'll be noticed by the emulator can work, but I can't tell if it works for the DS emulators (Partly as trying to find the save files is somehow tricky for me, for Desmume at least)

Edited by Dayni

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just as a progress update, I'm mostly trying to figure out how to replace and edit certain icons on the main menu and correcting a few straggling bits of spelling/grammar errors I can find or inconsistencies; There is also an error involving BSFE Chapter 2's name that I am waiting on OP to assist with. I don't think Beta 3 is terribly far off now, I would hope. I'm mostly trying to make the menu consistent with FE11 and making certain system messages consistent with ones used in 13/14/15.

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2018 at 2:11 PM, Cav317 said:

Good luck with all future versions of the patch! Playing through the game for the first time with your update installed over the HoS translation and it's fantastic.

Please keep in mind that the next revision is literally 6 months of work and cross referencing other games so far, especially since Warriors and Heroes quote FE12 verbatim or paraphrase it at times, so the next patch still in development will probably be a dramatic improvement in terms of consistency with localized games; in particular, the entire UI is almost finished being localized in the same way NoA localized the Shadow Dragon UI from the Japanese version, which will make the game much more consistent with shadow dragon (which was priority 1 for the patch, followed by consistency with Echoes, Awakening/Heroes, and Warriors where applicable). A few important translation-induced inconsistencies were fixed too, chiefly concerning the royal guards of Altea, which subtly but importantly affect certain plot details. Certain characters' dialogue was also brought more in line with how they parse words in the localized games, the biggest example being Legion's dialogue.

The main thing holding it back as of now is menu graphics, which are much harder to edit than pure text, as well as a handful of other similar technical issues

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

• 2 weeks later...

Cg_fe12_evt_05.png

6E9A9107-9CA5-4B14-807F-A63FC26E621B.thumb.jpeg.fd2f760884559853aabc545e10c8574b.jpeg

Hardin has made his debut in Fire Emblem Heroes, based on his appearance as Emperor Hardin in New Mystery of the Emblem (with his art more specifically referencing the blue aura shown around him in Chapter 8), so the patch will be updated to accommodate any dialogue localizations or other changes associated with hardin in Fire Emblem Heroes.

progress on the patch is continuing to proceed despite difficulties in updating certain graphics.

I did checked Hardin's title from the Fallen Heroes Banner in Fire Emblem Heroes, it's localized as "Dark Emperor". I'll keep an eye out any new localized names incase if more stuff from New Mystery of the Emblem hasn't been shown up yet. I'm pretty sure since Emperor is still kept in his title, I'm pretty sure his personal class along with Arvis's personal class is still kept as Emperor.

If I may, I'd like to offer my help with any raw text editing/review that still needs to be done. With more and more elements of FE3/12 being localized via Heroes, the work is likely getting more intensive. I've dabbled in FE12 dialogue editing before (hello world screenshot) and have enough of a background in writing that I would feel comfortable helping with any alterations or revisions that you feel need to be made. I likely wouldn't be much help with the graphics editing, however, which is what it seems like you need. Still, if you're interested, I'm willing to lend you a hand. I know I'm not very established in the FE modding community, but I'm an experienced modder of other games, and have collaborated with people on text-heavy projects before.

So as Hero of the Fire Emblems said, the main reason this patch is being held up is the graphics. Which is entirely my fault, since I'm the sole graphics hacker working on this.

When I started this a little over a year ago, I wasn't really planning on there being a lot of work. When it became apparent that the original team had moved on from the patch, I decided to try to fix the typos and name corrections that were never implemented. In my head I was thinking that it was going to take a few weeks at best if I worked on it here and there. I wasn't aware of just how much work had to be done at that point :D

I really only started this because the other project I was working on was stalled for a bit while we waited for a new graphics editor. FE12 being my favorite FE game, I decided to make this quick patch during that time. Obviously I wasn't able to finish everything that needed attention at that time, and after a little while I had to go back to my other project, which meant I was dedicating barely any time to this. 

Well, my other project was finally completed 2 months ago (check it out in my sig if you're interested, it's a great game), so this will be my main priority now. A new patch should be out relatively soon!

Just figured I owed everyone an explanation after I started this and then disappeared without a word.

13 hours ago, joesteve1914 said:

I really only started this because the other project I was working on was stalled for a bit while we waited for a new graphics editor.

This strikes me as ironic somehow.

Yes, Hopefully the Beta 3 patch revision will be out soon; I’m thinking a month or so at this rate, assuming everything is optimized properly? I’m going to err on the side of caution and say two months.

I managed to obtained Hardin in the summoning in Fire Emblem Heroes and I got him around in Lv. 34. I don't see him mentioning any stuff that appeared to be new localized names that were from New Mystery of the Emblem. I'll see if I can get him up to Lv. 40 and see if he mentions anything in his Lv. 40 conversation where he explains to Kiran.

Other than that, the only names that I think they only showed up in Hardin's profile were his "Dark Emperor" title and he did mentioned about the Dark Sphere and Archanean Imperial Army in his home base conversation. Also, I noticed that Hardin mentions in his conversation that saids: "Emperor of the Holy Empire of Archanea" under in "My name is Hardin, Emperor of the Holy Empire of Archanea. If you do not wish to be scarred by my fury, you will give me your name in return.". I'm pretty sure if I recall correctly in Shadow Dragon that Archanea was called "Holy Kingdom" unless it have been changed in Mystery of the Emblem's plot since Hardin did married to Nyna after the events of Shadow Dragon.

5 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I managed to obtained Hardin in the summoning in Fire Emblem Heroes and I got him around in Lv. 34. I don't see him mentioning any stuff that appeared to be new localized names that were from New Mystery of the Emblem. I'll see if I can get him up to Lv. 40 and see if he mentions anything in his Lv. 40 conversation where he explains to Kiran.

Other than that, the only names that I think they only showed up in Hardin's profile were his "Dark Emperor" title and he did mentioned about the Dark Sphere and Archanean Imperial Army in his home base conversation. Also, I noticed that Hardin mentions in his conversation that saids: "Emperor of the Holy Empire of Archanea" under in "My name is Hardin, Emperor of the Holy Empire of Archanea. If you do not wish to be scarred by my fury, you will give me your name in return.". I'm pretty sure if I recall correctly in Shadow Dragon that Archanea was called "Holy Kingdom" unless it have been changed in Mystery of the Emblem's plot since Hardin did married to Nyna after the events of Shadow Dragon.

Yes, Hardin reorganizes the Holy Kingdom into a Holy Empire during the plotline. I've already done all of Hardin's localized dialogue from Heroes, so far. I'm currently ensuring all dialogue is consistent with Heroes in addition to graphics work that is being done

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I managed to get Hardin up to Lv. 40 as of right now and there wasn't exactly anything shown any new localized names showed up. And speaking of which, I did saw Hardin spoke about the Darksphere that there is no space and the S is lowercase. Is the Darksphere in the game had it editted to "Darksphere" or was the Darksphere item was marked something like "Dark Sphere" in the fan translation patch?

And speaking of which, I did saw Hardin mentioned about the Rebel Army in his conversation in Heroes. Does the Rebel Army technically have a name in Mystery of the Emblem or New Mystery of the Emblem?

Edited by King Marth 64

On 3/17/2018 at 1:19 AM, King Marth 64 said:

Ok, I managed to get Hardin up to Lv. 40 as of right now and there wasn't exactly anything shown any new localized names showed up. And speaking of which, I did saw Hardin spoke about the Darksphere that there is no space and the S is lowercase. Is the Darksphere in the game had it editted to "Darksphere" or was the Darksphere item was marked something like "Dark Sphere" in the fan translation patch?

And speaking of which, I did saw Hardin mentioned about the Rebel Army in his conversation in Heroes. Does the Rebel Army technically have a name in Mystery of the Emblem or New Mystery of the Emblem?

The Rebel army is probably him referring to Marth's army

• 4 weeks later...