Updated FE12 translation patch (Beta 2 released!)

2 minutes ago, Valkeir said:

Talking down to isn't belittling someone, there is a subtle difference. For example calling Kris by his rank is one example.

I would say that it's customary to address someone based on rank, actually. Kris is a squire, so it's not as if she's actually being disrespectful. 

Though I guess you are saying how its worded seems bad. Hence why I noticed now that you made this for @Hero of the Fire Emblems:

MS204_ED3_1_PCF1:

ELICE enters

ELICE: Oh my... You are one of the squires, are you not?

AVATAR: Ah, yes. I'm AVATAR. I came here hoping to become an Altean knight. And you are...?

ELICE: I am Elice. Marth's elder sister.

AVATAR: Oh! Prince Marth's elder sister... Please excuse my lack of manners.

ELICE: It's alright, AVATAR... I think it's very admirable that you've come to help Marth.

AVATAR: It is an honor to serve Prince Marth, the Hero-King.

ELICE: "Hero-King," you say...? It does seem that the people have grown fond of calling him that. But the truth of the matter is that Marth... Marth is still an idealistic young man.

MS204_ED3_2_PCF1:

AVATAR: Prince Marth is idealistic...?

ELICE: Yes, but that does not diminish Marth's accomplishments. Marth will always be the hero of the War of Shadows--yet he will always be a man who holds firmly to his ideals, as well. Still, AVATAR that is no weakness. Instead there are times when ideals collide with reality, and a choice must be made.

ELICE: Even as we speak, somewhere unknown to us, innocent lives are being lost. Sadly not even the "Hero-King" can be everywhere, save everyone. Marth is no god--but to be worthy of the title "Hero-King," he believes he must hold himself to the standards of one.

AVATAR: You're right... No matter how excellent a king, he is not almighty. No ruler is. With all the stories of the "Hero-King", it's easy to forget that kings are still just human.

ELICE: Ah, now you're beginning to understand. Most people accept this fact, and temper their ideals to suit reality. But Marth cannot do that. He truly must save everyone. If he fails even one friend, one comrade, one innocent... It is unbearable to him. He can hide it if he must, but any loss weighs upon him heavily, and Marth's heart is no stranger to regret...

ELICE: In this harsh world, it will be difficult for him to keep hold of those virtues... Still though he holds himself to such ideals. AVATAR, if you truly wish to be among Marth's knights, you must do more than protect the man--you must protect his ideals. For  without his ideals for would be no "Hero-King" and for Marth failing to hold true to his ideals would be worse than losing his life.

I only noticed two changes here, referring to Elice saying that Kris is "one of" the squires, and changing the words to say that Marth is idealistic, rather than thoughtful, sensitive.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed more than that, as I mentioned Elice calling Kris by his rank is gone. Instead I used AVATAR as this lends more of a confiding nature to the entire conversation. I also rephrased and changed a few other sentences in structure and by rewriting parts, the last sentence is one such example. The formality of using rank to refer to someone feels out of place for such a conversation, because as I mentioned this is something she's confiding in a potential companion of Marth rather than just something she's saying to a random recruit. By using Kris's name instead of their rank it makes the conversation more intimate and implies a sense of intimacy to the conversation. Similar to how if you were a driver for someone then you'd like them more if they called you by name rather just calling you driver all the time, you're more likely to want to help them by them bothering to learn and use your name.

I simply applied that principle and reinforced Marth's humanity and contrast to his myth, Elice mentioned "hero-king" more in my version to reinforce to Kris how Marth isn't his legend.

• 2 weeks later...

FE12 content keeps coming to Fire Emblem Heroes, slowly but surely. While a new character has not been added, as was the case with Fallen Hardin, instead we have a smaller but still important note in the form of an item update:

image.pngScreenshot_2018-06-30-03-50-59.png

Like Clarisse's Bow and Legion's Axe before it, Reese's Tome (named "Hellfire" in the older versions of the fan translation) has been added to Fire Emblem Heroes as Katarina's personal weapon, to be retroactively added to her learnset sometime around July 8th. In FE12, this weapon was one of the rare character-based items one could acquire from the Barracks function. With this news, it is safe to assume Intelligent Systems will add other FE12 character items to Archanean units when they need to buff them, such as Ogma's Blade or Roderick's Lance. We will be keeping a close eye on any further developments in Heroes, especially considering the recent, suspicious slew of Archanean characters getting new personal weapons or forge options for their existing personal weapons. 

Astute readers and players may in fact notice the Japanese reads Katarina's Tome, not Reese's Tome; the use of Reese instead was a change by the localization team here. This is likely because "Katarina's Tome" simply will not fit as a name in Heroes; and all the better, it wouldn't fit in FE12 either. However, "Reese's Tome" fits perfectly in both Heroes and FE12.

On a similar note, this localization choice also implies "Merric's Tome" as another localized name for a different weapon; that name fits and has also been implemented.

Further progress and developments will be posted; rest assured that this patch is not dead.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

I'll be posting another translation comparison using BSFE chapter 1, "Fall of the Palace," after my work with the Shadow Dragon Full Content Patch has calmed down. I'm kind of double-dipping with SD hacking and FE12 translation, sorry about that - but the SD work is winding down, so I'll be back to focusing on the translation shortly.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:59 AM, Reck said:

Hi, and thanks for your work here. I just want to know if I need to apply both updates or just the beta2?

The patch isn’t finished; all of the updates being worked on and discussed are for Beta 3, as well as the vast majority of the dialogue corrections and updates. Beta 2 is a little over a year out of date.

If you want to patch the game you need to patch Beta 2 to a rom that has already been patched with the HoS patch, and then the game will have the Beta 2 release.

However, that said, beta 2 is still a year out of date; it is nowhere near reflective of the work that has been going on.

If you caught these before, my apologies, but a couple points I personally noticed. (Though, props to Heroes of Shadow, it's a great translation)

In the final chapter of the game, there's some dialogue which uses God with a capital G. (As well as some support conversations, I think). This is really weird, especially when characters still say "oh, gods!" This deserves another look.

In Luke and Roderick's support, they specify "getting laid" and "the lay-deez." The first of which would never be in an official translation, and the latter sounds like cringy internet speak.

Additionally, some of the dialogue really overtly talks about dying and killing. Was FE11's dialogue this overt (it's been awhile since I've played it)? I thought they would usually say something like "defeat."

I'll look through the script again shortly. Are you keeping the "damns" and such? Not that it bothers me, and it does bring the game script closer to Awakening, but it feels unusual compared to SD.

One final personal note: I still think "Heroes of Light and Shadow" is a better subtitle by itself. New Mystery sounds like a typical Japanese remake name, and it's only in FEH because a lack of an official title. I think the former is what NoA would've picked, as not only does it keep "Shadow" as a motif, but the war is the War of Heroes, which doubles the relevance. Using both sounds way too long, but I understand

Some edits: What exactly is Pales referring to? Is this just supposed to mean the palace?

Edited by xatzimi

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. Will this also include any information that was omitted from the original? In Mystery of the Emblem, Xane explains how the Earth Dragons were the closest in strength to the Divine Dragons, but New Mystery doesn't say any comparison. Also doesn't mention all the Dragon tribes like the Flying one.

Another one is that Gotoh never reveals that Adrah, the first King of Archanea was a thief that stole the Shield of Seals. This was mentioned in the original but omitted in the remake.

On 07.07.2018 at 9:25 AM, xatzimi said:

Some edits: What exactly is Pales referring to? Is this just supposed to mean the palace?

It’s referring to Archanea’s capital, the Millenium Court. Or is Millenium Court just the palace complex? The game never cared enough to elaborate. IIRC, it used to be just “Palace” (hence Engrishified as Pales) in the Japanese version of SD and Book 1.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 8:08 AM, omegaxis1 said:

So with Legendary Marth out, we can say the official localization of the Shield of Seals... is Binding Shield. So guess the original translation of that works.

It also did not go unnoticed, but the country Marth makes out of merging the nations of Archanea is also now “The Archanean Alliance” instead of the United Kingdom of Archanea. And War of Heroes is official now, too- War of Shadows first showed up in Warriors, and gets reaffirmed here.

10 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

It also did not go unnoticed, but the country Marth makes out of merging the nations of Archanea is also now “The Archanean Alliance” instead of the United Kingdom of Archanea. And War of Heroes is official now, too- War of Shadows first showed up in Warriors, and gets reaffirmed here.

The Archanean Alliance sounds awesome. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played the translation about a year ago, I have to thank for the effort you put in. I assumed it took countless hours to translate everything to English and to check the grammar. Few are willing to undertake a large project.

Edited by Jingle Bells

I'm actually holding my friend off from playing New Mystery of the Emblem until Beta 3 comes out! I think it will be well worth the wait.

But I did have some concerns about a specific support conversation between Male Kris and Luke, and I'd be so happy if that was changed before beta 3 was released. It's at the end of their first conversation and Luke is all like, "Don't fall in love with me" and Kris is all like, "I... don't swing that way." I really can't see it being officially localized that way, and I also really don't like that line for an avatar character. Like, if I was to do what the game wants me to and insert myself in there, seeing an in-game me say that really takes me out of the experience. Cause I actually just so happen to swing that way. You know?

I hope it's not a big issue or anything, I'd just really like that to be changed. Like Female Kris as a response says, "Oh, I wouldn't worry about that." and I think that line is more vague and can be interpreted in anyway you'd like. I don't know what Male Kris says in the Japanese version, but I think a simple line change like, "Yeah, in your dreams." would work really well, but that's just an example from someone who doesn't know Japanese.

So yeah, I am extremely thankful for everyone who's working on this translation, as well as everyone who worked on the original one. I wouldn't be able to experience FE12 to it's full extent without it. And I'm really hoping I'm not bugging anyone by suggesting what I'm suggesting.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, osielv said:

Can someone tell me how exactly you add the patch. The rom I downloaded already came with the ver. 3.01 English patch. Is that fine or do I need to download a Japanese rom and add the patch to that one? 

I'd be wary of pre-patched roms if I were you. More often than not, they come with something besides just a patch. A friend of mine made that mistake, and got her PC infected with a very nasty virus that forced her to wipe her entire hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. Patching a Japanese rom is always the safest way to go.

But to answer your original question, the 3.01 version is the last patch that the HOS team made for the previous translation project. Honestly though, I'd wait until Hero and his team can finish beta 3 before trying to patch it, because beta 3 will blow everything that has come before it completely out of the water in terms of quality.

Edited by GamerX51
Point clarification and ease of reading edits

On 12/30/2018 at 7:33 PM, Sushi_Cat said:

Any update on the current state of the patch? There hasn't been news for a while.

It is mostly depend on how much money FE Heroes gets, imho.

If the game FE Heroes is performing well, and getting money everyday, this patch will never finish.

If the game FE Heroes is performing poorly, and get shutdown, only until then this patch may has a chance to be finished.

The patch gets an overhaul every time FE Heroes release a new update.

Hi guys, I'm the co-retranslator and script editor for the patch update, and I thought I'd let you know that I put it on hold so I could work on a proper translation for Thracia 776. I could release what we had done before I made the swap, which was the whole prologue and 2 BSFE chapters, with numerous menu/name fixes, but I'd have to get the files from Hero, who has been incommunicado for a while.

15 hours ago, hanhnn said:

It is mostly depend on how much money FE Heroes gets, imho.

If the game FE Heroes is performing well, and getting money everyday, this patch will never finish.

If the game FE Heroes is performing poorly, and get shutdown, only until then this patch may has a chance to be finished.

The patch gets an overhaul every time FE Heroes release a new update.

This is completely untrue, though. I don't know where you got that idea. It's true that we update things for newly-localized Heroes content, but you seem to think that's a Sisyphean endeavor when all it really means is going back and editing a few things.

Edited by Cirosan

15 hours ago, Cirosan said:

Hi guys, I'm the co-retranslator and script editor for the patch update, and I thought I'd let you know that I put it on hold so I could work on a proper translation for Thracia 776. I could release what we had done before I made the swap, which was the whole prologue and 2 BSFE chapters, with numerous menu/name fixes, but I'd have to get the files from Hero, who has been incommunicado for a while.

Thanks for the update! It's good to hear you guys are still planning on working on the patch.

Good job on the Thracia 776 patch too btw, it's good to have a proper translation coming after so long.

Edited by Sushi_Cat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ANNOUNCEMENT!
Good day to you, whatever time of day it may be. I am DekuNut, and I’m part of the new team working on this patch with @Hero of the Fire Emblems. With Cirosan now heading Project Exile, the patch will have to continue on without him. As such, Hero needed a new team, of which I am currently the spokesperson.

This, of course, means that progress will resume on the patch. The patch has, as of now, completely redone both the Prologue and some of the New Archanea Chronicles, as well as the menus, and has revised any content localized via Fire Emblem Awakening, Fire Emblem Echoes, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Fire Emblem Heroes through August 2018. Our goal for the near future will be to catch up on the updates to Fire Emblem Heroes (Gharnef, Legendary Tiki, etc.), and then continue retranslating the scripts for further chapters.

Along with Hero and myself, we also have @Hyness joining the team. Go give him a warm welcome.

Finally for the big question: no, we are not ready with the next version of the patch yet. It will take some time to catch up on everything we’ve missed over the last six months, and make up lost time on the patch since then, but we’ll do our best to give you all updates on what’s going on with the patch now that progress is continuing. Keep in mind there’s some things we aren’t ready to reveal until the next version goes live, however. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here, and we’ll do our best to answer them.