Updated FE12 translation patch (Beta 2 released!)

As but an onlooker uninvolved in the project, I apologize if I am overstepping my boundaries or "backseat driving". Nonetheless, I would like to suggest revisions to the English script regarding the "clergy", if you will, of Khadein. While scrolling through the Japanese scripts of FE11 and FE12, it came to my attention that there are quite a few different ranks within Khadein's hierarchy.

Again, I must apologize if this is all old news to the translation team.

Unfortunately, Shadow Dragon's official localization already muddles things. In Japan, Miloah, Gotoh's discipline, bears the title "大司教", the word for archbishops in Catholicism. (As an aside, Rhea's class, Archbishop, is actually "大司教" in Japanese.) In Shadow Dragon's English releases (as well as in Heroes), Linde's father is addressed as "Pontifex Miloah". This choice seems all well and good; pontifices were high-ranking priests in the state religion of ancient Rome. The problem is that Wendell, a comparatively humble "司祭" (priest/Bishop class) during the War of Shadows, also refers to himself as a pontifex in the English script.

マルス王子 私は、カダインの司祭ウェンデルと申します。    “Prince Marth, I am Wendell, a pontifex of Khadein, City of Magic.”

As this is the official localization, there's nothing to be done about it.

I suppose it should also be mentioned that Wendell's FE11 character ending does not actually name the hieratic position he goes on to assume in Japanese. It merely states that he rose to the top of the hierarchy of mages.

カダイン魔道士たちの最高位につく。その後、世界の真理を求めて諸国放浪の旅に出た。    “Wendell became the senior mage in Khadein and embarked on a journey that took him from land to land in pursuit of truth.”

Now onto New Mystery of the Emblem and my suggestions. Two new ranks in the hierarchy are revealed by name: "高司祭" and "最高司祭".

"高司祭" is a term that, to my knowledge, does not appear outside of FE3/FE12 and does not seem to have a direct English translation. It refers to the order of mages (presumably) directly below Khadein's leader in rank. In the standing FE12 translation, this has been rendered as "pontifex", which results in three separate ranks having been translated as such. To be fair, "高司祭" actually is Wendell's epithet for his Book 1 character ending in FE3, but this detail is changed in FE11. In any case, my suggestions for "高司祭" are "high priest", "high bishop", or even "high pontifex".

"最高司祭", roughly "supreme priest", is the name of the position Wendell rises to between games, the very same held by Gharnef during the War of Shadows. ("Dark Pontifex" is just the localization of Gharnef's stock epithet "魔王", not his official position at the top of Khadein's hierarchy.) Currently, "最高司祭" is rendered as "Archmage" in the FE12 fan translation. However, this title interestingly appears in another Fire Emblem game: Awakening. Here, it is the title Validar addresses the possessed Future Robin with when introducing him to Chrom and friends. It was localized into English as "hierophant".

最高司祭殿、こちらへ。    “A hierophant, the highest of his/her order in Plegia.”

Alternatively, if the translation team wishes to maintain a "pontifical" naming scheme, the aforementioned title could be translated as "supreme pontifex", derived from one of the names of the Roman Catholic pope ("supreme pontiff").

With all this said, I would like to demonstrate the rough idea for a revised passage from Chapter 10 of New Mystery of the Emblem using my suggestions.

Japanese text: “最高司祭の下に数名の高司祭があり、 彼らの合議によって運営がなされていた。だが先の戦いでは、最高司祭ガーネフが ドルーアに加担して戦乱に巻き込まれ、カダインは大きな被害を受けた。主だった高司祭を 全て失ったカダインは、ウェンデルが最高司祭となって再建の道を歩んだ。

Old translation: “The Archmage has many pontifices under him, governing according to their counsel. In the previous war, Pontifex Gharnef allied with Dolhr and dragged Khadein into war, and the city suffered great damage as result. As Khadein had lost all of its pontifices, Wendell became its Archmage and started rebuilding the city.”

Proposed new translated: “The hierophant/supreme pontifex has many high priests/bishops/pontifices under him, governing according to their counsel. In the previous war, Hierophant/Supreme Pontifex Gharnef allied with Dolhr and dragged Khadein into war, and the city suffered great damage as result. As Khadein had lost all of its high priests/bishops/pontifices, Wendell became its hierophant/supreme pontifex and started rebuilding the city.”

Edited by Biozilla

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I just finished Shadow Dragon (with the full content patch) and was going to move on to Echoes: SoV and then play FE12.

If I begin playing using the Beta 2 patch, will my save be applicable to the Beta 3/Final version of this patch?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can see that this updated translation project has also been abandoned (possibly), but I just wanted to come here to report that the game with the Beta 2 patch won't run on my flashcart's firmware (R4i SDHC clone), nor will it run using ndsBootstrap on my DS Lite. The only way it can run on original hardware is with ndsBootstrap on my New 3DS XL (haven't tested it on my Old 3DS). The original translation patch by Heroes of Shadow still runs ok, with the same base rom, so this is an issue with this translation patch in particular. Anyone here has any idea of why that might be?

**Edit**

Checking the last updates of this project, it's clear that the new translation team had rough times when translating this due to them wanting it to be as faithfull as possible to other official localizations, and combined with the pandemic, it's no wonder the project has been sort of dead since 2020. I also read that the previous beta (beta 2 precisely) had kind of a mess with its files, which might even have something to do with it not booting on my flashcart. I don't know if my comment will be read by the team, but I hope you're all still around, and I'll wait patiently for the next updates to the patch. In the meantime, I guess I'll be "stuck" playing this beta exclusively on my New 3DS. Not that that's a bad thing, but I sometimes like playing my DS games on my actual DS.

Edited by MegaMarkLM

On 11/6/2018 at 10:02 PM, PersonWithTime said:

I'm actually holding my friend off from playing New Mystery of the Emblem until Beta 3 comes out! I think it will be well worth the wait. [...]

I'm sure it'll still be worth the wait, but man I feel bad reading this comment after all this time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 3:53 AM, MegaMarkLM said:

I'm sure it'll still be worth the wait, but man I feel bad reading this comment after all this time.

We eventually just played through the original fan translation...

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for necroing but wanted to share my experience with this patch. So firstly I noticed that patching the The Heroes of Shadow version with this TL reduced size of the ROM drastically, like from around 130 MB to 80 MB which is weird. And later when I tried to boot it on my 3DS with Twilight Menu I got an error that says ROM is missing DSi binaries, is that were 50 MB went? Don't know it it also happens on native DS hardware. Not sure what's going on there and if this patch removed them on purpose or I messed up the patching process somehow but results weren't ideal ( Game is marked as DSi Enhanced by the way). Well probably going to stick to og The Heroes of Shadow translation for now.

4 hours ago, ShiningRed said:

Sorry for necroing but wanted to share my experience with this patch. So firstly I noticed that patching the The Heroes of Shadow version with this TL reduced size of the ROM drastically, like from around 130 MB to 80 MB which is weird. And later when I tried to boot it on my 3DS with Twilight Menu I got an error that says ROM is missing DSi binaries, is that were 50 MB went? Don't know it it also happens on native DS hardware. Not sure what's going on there and if this patch removed them on purpose or I messed up the patching process somehow but results weren't ideal ( Game is marked as DSi Enhanced by the way). Well probably going to stick to og The Heroes of Shadow translation for now.

The difference in file size is probably due to the original patch not trimming the rom. If the game is actually 80MB, it would have needed to be released on a 128MB cartridge with 48MB of empty space. So an untrimmed rom is the full cartridge size while a trimmed rom is the game's actual size.

11 hours ago, ShiningRed said:

Honestly I am surprised you aren't seeing theses kind of errors with whatever old patch you are using. Any tool that is made to modify general NDS games will end up destroying those DSi binaries (so you have to find obscure tools that only work with DSi enhance games to keep them intact...) and a majority of ROMs you find online of any DSi enhance games tend to have these binaries broken on them already (for kinda similar reasons, needing unique software and hardware to get a rip of the game with those binaries intact, so any even slightly old rip of the game, or rip made in the same way as regular DS games tend to break them).

I will also point out that those DSi Binaries being broken shouldn't prevent you from playing the game, you should simply have to play this patch of the game on DS only mode (I am fairly certain that is a feature in Twilight). The DSi features were all tied to online services that are no longer running, and if you really want them you can find a save online with all the online features downloaded onto them already if you really want them. There is some convoluted work around to fake those services on PC, but it is a lot more trouble than it is worth, and I do not know how compatible it would be with it running on a 3DS. Plus those DSi features were used as a form of region-locking, at least on any system that can access those DSi feature (fun fact this is why my official cart of the game works on my old DS, and not my 3DS...)

• 4 months later...

Bump a few months later, sorry. Beta v3 doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon, so I figured it was time I stepped in with a bit of a compatibility fix update. I present to you Beta v2.1 (unofficial for obvious reasons), which fixes some of the ROM related issues present in the original ROM hack. This fixes issues with certain flash cartridge kernels out there (will touch on this in a bit), and allows the ability to run the game in DSi Mode via compatible solutions out there, allowing you the ability to take advantage of the DSi enhanced features that the game has, I also fixed the busted game icon, now it works properly. For those using the YSMenu kernel on flash devices, this fix unfortunately doesn't fix the ROM loading error that the kernel yields whenever you execute this version of the hack, this has something to do with the picky nature of the kernel and the changes made by js394 in the ROM hack, I do plan to dive into the hack a bit and see what's going on with it, but due to my unfamiliar nature with certain formats, the tools used for this title, let alone the game series as a whole, it would take me some time to figure out the issue(s). Kernels like Wood R4 can however run the game just fine, so if you can get your hands on a flash device that can run that or anything else just as useful, or use TWiLightMenu, then you are golden to run this updated build. If I manage to fix the other issues plaguing this version of the hack, I'll be sure to push an update here. Also I have no idea if this is technically a continuation of the original 2012 project or just an extension of sorts of the original 2012 works, if this isn't considered part of the original project, then I may extend my fix to the original 2012 works as well sometime soon.

Download:
https://mega.nz/file/1RgB2RoS#NCEnazxvnejzDzGJx1ZchmgD9DEi3CVt8GrnRayBTRk

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2022 at 3:28 AM, DeadSkullzJr said:

Bump a few months later, sorry. Beta v3 doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon, so I figured it was time I stepped in with a bit of a compatibility fix update. I present to you Beta v2.1 (unofficial for obvious reasons), which fixes some of the ROM related issues present in the original ROM hack. This fixes issues with certain flash cartridge kernels out there (will touch on this in a bit), and allows the ability to run the game in DSi Mode via compatible solutions out there, allowing you the ability to take advantage of the DSi enhanced features that the game has, I also fixed the busted game icon, now it works properly. For those using the YSMenu kernel on flash devices, this fix unfortunately doesn't fix the ROM loading error that the kernel yields whenever you execute this version of the hack, this has something to do with the picky nature of the kernel and the changes made by js394 in the ROM hack, I do plan to dive into the hack a bit and see what's going on with it, but due to my unfamiliar nature with certain formats, the tools used for this title, let alone the game series as a whole, it would take me some time to figure out the issue(s). Kernels like Wood R4 can however run the game just fine, so if you can get your hands on a flash device that can run that or anything else just as useful, or use TWiLightMenu, then you are golden to run this updated build. If I manage to fix the other issues plaguing this version of the hack, I'll be sure to push an update here. Also I have no idea if this is technically a continuation of the original 2012 project or just an extension of sorts of the original 2012 works, if this isn't considered part of the original project, then I may extend my fix to the original 2012 works as well sometime soon.

Download:
https://mega.nz/file/1RgB2RoS#NCEnazxvnejzDzGJx1ZchmgD9DEi3CVt8GrnRayBTRk

I just wanted to say thank you so much since this had been dead for a long while, and coincidentally I JUST got an Ace3DS+ clone since I heard those had better compatibility. I messed up something and deleted my v3.1 rom on my SD, so I had to look for the patch again, and it just turns out that there is now an updated version of the updated translation compatible with my new card. Again, thanks a lot, this was sorely needed. Old names are fine but I just prefer the updated ones.

• 6 months later...