Jump to content
js394

Updated FE12 translation patch (Beta 2 released!)

Recommended Posts

Oh okay, I can send you a script dump if you'd like, if you don't want to do it yourself (it takes a while since the game has like 90 different files that need to be dumped individually iirc), Japanese or English . I can look into fe13 as well if you still need that, since I have edited the script for that in the past. 

But it won't be until about 8-9 hours because I'm at work right now :D:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, at least that answers the question of Eine's name.  It's a cute pun, but it has nothing to do with the light theme, sadly.

Thus, if Elise/Nino are cinnamon roles, Katarina is a peanut butter cup. ;/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update- I found the chapter titles and figured out how to edit them!

tlbt_16258.png

 

I went over the dialogue today and replaced all instances of "divine sword" with "divine blade" (and also took care of the "Panther" and "Bull" titles.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hero of the Fire Emblems we may have an issue with using "Big Brother/Sister". Does the Japanese version differentiate between brother and sister depending on if the avatar is male or female? 

If it doesn't, than it would likely take some advanced hacking to make it like that; at the very least I wouldn't be able to do it. :(

Edited by joesteve1914

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joesteve1914 said:

@Hero of the Fire Emblems we may have an issue with using "Big Brother/Sister". Does the Japanese version differentiate between brother and sister depending on if the avatar is male or female? 

If it doesn't, than it would likely take some advanced hacking to make it like that; at the very least I wouldn't be able to do it. :(

Judging by the wiki topic on Tiki, yes, it does; there's a couple epithets Tiki variously uses for the Avatar at given points.  Male Kris regularly gets called either クリスのおにいちゃん or クリスのおじいちゃま, derived from her nicknames for Marth and Bantu respectively, while female Kris gets クリスのおねえちゃん or クリスのおばあちゃま (same derivation; literally "Big Brother/Sister" and "Grandpa/Grandma").  There's also a couple instances of クリス様 (lit. Lord/Lady Kris).  クリスのおにいちゃん/クリスのおねえちゃん are the most common ones used, though.

The original Heroes of Shadow patch, as you're likely aware, uses "Tar-Tar" for the former case and "Uncool Kris" for the latter case, regardless of gender.

Edited by Reiska
Left out a ), woops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Reiska said:

Judging by the wiki topic on Tiki, yes, it does; there's a couple epithets Tiki variously uses for the Avatar at given points.  Male Kris regularly gets called either クリスのおにいちゃん or クリスのおじいちゃま, derived from her nicknames for Marth and Bantu respectively, while female Kris gets クリスのおねえちゃん or クリスのおばあちゃま (same derivation; literally "Big Brother/Sister" and "Grandpa/Grandma").  There's also a couple instances of クリス様 (lit. Lord/Lady Kris).  クリスのおにいちゃん/クリスのおねえちゃん are the most common ones used, though.

The original Heroes of Shadow patch, as you're likely aware, uses "Tar-Tar" for the former case and "Uncool Kris" for the latter case, regardless of gender.

Okay, so big brother/sister should work. Thanks!
 

I'm trying to edit the chapter titles, but I can't for the life of me figure out what font they're using. For the "Red Dragoon" one I just reused characters from another chapter title. It'd be much easier to just use the font that is used in the current patch.

chapter_text021_Title.pngchapter_text021_Place.png

@VincentASM I'm assuming you don't remember since it was 5 years ago :D, but if anyone recognizes it or is able to find one that looks very similar, that would be a big help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, joesteve1914 said:

but if anyone recognizes it or is able to find one that looks very similar, that would be a big help.

Looks like Cambria, one of MS Office default fonts: (original on the top, my cheap knock-off on the bottom)

kn53s01.png7QTshU9.png

Chapter name in this case is 19pt 84% width, location name is 9pt 74% width.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Looks like Cambria, one of MS Office default fonts: (original on the top, my cheap knock-off on the bottom)

kn53s01.png7QTshU9.png

Chapter name in this case is 19pt 84% width, location name is 9pt 74% width.

Thanks! This'll be a big help :):

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone happen to have a save with all the items unlocked at their normal amounts? (yes, there's cheats, but they set everything to 99 and I think it's causing text glitches)

Or at the very least, one with "Klein's Bow" and "Hellfire" unlocked? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, joesteve1914 said:

Does anyone happen to have a save with all the items unlocked at their normal amounts? (yes, there's cheats, but they set everything to 99 and I think it's causing text glitches)

Or at the very least, one with "Klein's Bow" and "Hellfire" unlocked? 

I'm pretty sure there is a cheat that allows you to buy anything from the convoy armory. As in, the vendor has all the existent items, including whatever you forge. 
Or was, at least. I had a saved file with that thing some time ago 'cause of curiosity, but now that I try to find the cheat again... it just seems like it doesn't exist anymore.

But why are you asking anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently playing through New Mystery for the first time with this updated names patch, and I figured I could help out and mention if I notice anything.

And I did, actually. In the guide, name changes mess up where names are located. Legion is still under R, for example. No idea how hard this is to change or even if it's worth it, but I thought it would be worth bringing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2017 at 11:31 PM, Blueshirt said:

I'm currently playing through New Mystery for the first time with this updated names patch, and I figured I could help out and mention if I notice anything.

And I did, actually. In the guide, name changes mess up where names are located. Legion is still under R, for example. No idea how hard this is to change or even if it's worth it, but I thought it would be worth bringing up.

Nice catch! I'm guessing it's not going to be terribly difficult to fix it, but either way it's still essential imo.

I'll try to get the first complete patch out soon. I have everything listed in the spreadsheet in the OP implemented with the exception of some dialogue, so it shouldn't be much longer of a wait.

 

Edited by joesteve1914

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 6/18/2017 at 9:19 PM, Zelith said:

I'm pretty sure there is a cheat that allows you to buy anything from the convoy armory. As in, the vendor has all the existent items, including whatever you forge. 
Or was, at least. I had a saved file with that thing some time ago 'cause of curiosity, but now that I try to find the cheat again... it just seems like it doesn't exist anymore.

But why are you asking anyway?

One of the item names just barely fits, but there's a glitch with it that I suspect has to do with the cheat forcing it to be 99/whatever the max is. 

 

Edit - sorry to double post, I meant to edit the one before this

Edited by joesteve1914

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Blueshirt said:

Another random small typo: Matthis talking to Lena in the Epilogue. "[email protected] was worried about you" Should be "Lena?! I was worried about you", there's an @ in there somehow.

That's weird.... well anyways, I fixed it.

 

tlbt_15519.png

:B):

New title screen, courtesy of Kenthos and myself! The old title screen was not bad by any means, but it was inconsistent with the FE11 english title screen (FE11 and FE12 have the same style of logo in the japanese versions). I also managed to fit the *entire* subtitle in there. This should solve the debate over which one to use, now we get the best of both worlds :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joesteve1914 said:

That's weird.... well anyways, I fixed it.

 

tlbt_15519.png

:B):

New title screen, courtesy of Kenthos and myself! The old title screen was not bad by any means, but it was inconsistent with the FE11 english title screen (FE11 and FE12 have the same style of logo in the japanese versions). I also managed to fit the *entire* subtitle in there. This should solve the debate over which one to use, now we get the best of both worlds :)

Also has the added side benefit of actually showing all five orbs at once on the title screen, which is an unintended but very appreciated side effect of using the FE11 logo.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy that this is still being worked on despite being technically fully translated. Such a service by fans to fans.

Not sure if this has been brought up, but sometimes in the flavor text for items (on the bottom screen), the first letter "spills" from the left onto the right side of the screen. Is this even fixable? It's not game-breaking or anything, but something to consider as low priority. "Sword" always spills part of the S onto the right of the screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lost Knight said:

Crazy that this is still being worked on despite being technically fully translated. Such a service by fans to fans.

Not sure if this has been brought up, but sometimes in the flavor text for items (on the bottom screen), the first letter "spills" from the left onto the right side of the screen. Is this even fixable? It's not game-breaking or anything, but something to consider as low priority. "Sword" always spills part of the S onto the right of the screen.

Hmm, I never noticed that. I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beta 2 is up!
The number one thing that needs to be checked in this one is the chapter title screens. This would include 7, 10x, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 21, 22, 23, and 24. I never got a chance to verify that they display correctly because I don't have a save with those chapters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joesteve1914 said:

Beta 2 is up!
The number one thing that needs to be checked in this one is the chapter title screens. This would include 7, 10x, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 21, 22, 23, and 24. I never got a chance to verify that they display correctly because I don't have a save with those chapters.

I have an Endgame save so I checked how they are in the results scroll.

None of the titles render properly on at least the final results of the game, so that needs to be fixed before Beta 3; the edited names are still filed under the wrong letters in the guide (Arlen and Reese are still listed under the letter E, for example). Draug's help text doesn't display properly in the guide. The description for the fighter in avatar creation doesn't display properly either

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

I have an Endgame save so I checked how they are in the results scroll.

None of the titles render properly on at least the final results of the game, so that needs to be fixed before Beta 3; the edited names are still filed under the wrong letters in the guide (Arlen and Reese are still listed under the letter E, for example). Draug's help text doesn't display properly in the guide. The description for the fighter in avatar creation doesn't display properly either

I fixed the Draug and fighter text, once again I'm not sure how that happened :D Must've been something I screwed up with a "Replace All"

Would you mind sending me that epilogue save? I'll look into what's going on there. 

I still haven't figured out how to change the order of the names in the guide... I'll keep trying though.

 

On 6/28/2017 at 9:30 AM, Lost Knight said:

Crazy that this is still being worked on despite being technically fully translated. Such a service by fans to fans.

Not sure if this has been brought up, but sometimes in the flavor text for items (on the bottom screen), the first letter "spills" from the left onto the right side of the screen. Is this even fixable? It's not game-breaking or anything, but something to consider as low priority. "Sword" always spills part of the S onto the right of the screen.

I looked into this. I managed to fix a few like "Sword", "Axe", and "Lance" by adjusting the spacing, but some of them still repeat on the other side of the screen. I'm not good enough with ASM hacking to fix this unfortunately. I'll go ask in the SF romhacking discord though, there's a fair bit of experienced hackers there.

Edited by joesteve1914

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently played through the original "final" patch, so I figured I'd point out some oddities I ran across in my playthrough.

  • The Magestone is missing a period at the end of its item description.
  • Throughout the Archanean Chronicles script, characters always use the phrase "millennial capital" instead of Millennium Palace.
  •  Merric's recruitment conversation with Elice in Endgame uses the phrase *ahem* instead of just "Ahem!" Mind you, this isn't really a typo as much as it is an inconsistency. Nowhere else in my playthrough had I come across an *action* in the script. Stuff like Tiki's "Munch!" and instances of "Sigh..." were always written out and not put in asterisks.

Those are the only things I really remember off the top of my head. I believe I remember seeing some typos throughout Anri's Way, but unfortunately I never documented them. Maybe a starting point when combing through the script for things to fix? It may sound like I'm being nitpicky, but I figured since we're updating the patch, we might as well make it as perfect as possible.

Edited by Cor Leonis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Cor Leonis said:

I recently played through the original "final" patch, so I figured I'd point out some oddities I ran across in my playthrough.

  • One of the Dragonstone descriptions (I believe it was the Mage or Ice Dragonstone) is missing a period at the end.
  • Throughout the Archanean Chronicles script, characters always use the phrase "millennial capital" instead of Millennium Palace.
  •  Merric's recruitment conversation with Elice in Endgame uses the phrase *ahem* instead of just "Ahem!" Mind you, this isn't really a typo as much as it is an inconsistency. Nowhere else in my playthrough had I come across an *action* in the script. Stuff like Tiki's "Munch!" and instances of "Sigh..." were always written out and not put in asterisks.

Those are the only things I really remember off the top of my head. I believe I remember seeing some typos throughout Anri's Way, but unfortunately I never documented them. Maybe a starting point when combing through the script for things to fix? It may sound like I'm being nitpicky, but I figured since we're updating the patch, we might as well make it as perfect as possible.

Don't worry, "nitpicking" the script is practically my job at this point. As far as I am aware I'm the primary person updating the name chart (someone else might be updating behind the scenes without me knowing, of course) and my obsessively compulsive checking of the script/other games is how I stumbled upon things like Katarina being a 軍師 in the script, which was localized in FE7, Awakening, and Heroes as "Tactician"; which her DLC class of Grandmaster is in reference to, or the "Potions" actually having the same name as the tonic items from Awakening and Fates, which were similarly corrected to match their names in the 3DS duo.

Anything like that is actually much appreciated, and any inconsistencies with the localized games like with the Tonics or things like the Ladyblade are also much appreciated.

The name chart is like a mile long at this point, and that's I think partly why Beta 2 got put out was because so much had been done over the course of June that it's a very sizable update, substantial enough to where it's probably a good time to check in and update with all that delicious progress.

And we're still hard at work, amazingly; joesteve went into this not realizing how much needed to be changed and it's getting to the point where even I, a major FE12 fanatic am being surprised by the amount of things that got localized/were inconsistent with localizations in the original patch. we're also doing some minor script revisions; like with Legion's dialogue being made to be consistent with Awakening and Heroes.

Not making the original May deadline is definitely a blessing in disguise, with the Echoes of Mystery Heroes banner coming out in June and giving us a lot more to work with in localization and all the additional progress made over the course of June when careful examination was put in.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 28, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Lost Knight said:

Not sure if this has been brought up, but sometimes in the flavor text for items (on the bottom screen), the first letter "spills" from the left onto the right side of the screen. Is this even fixable? It's not game-breaking or anything, but something to consider as low priority. "Sword" always spills part of the S onto the right of the screen.

Do you mind posting a screenshot of this oddity? I don't ever remember encountering this, but my latest playthrough was on real hardware through a flashcart. Part of me says your concern might be an emulation error and not an actual problem with the patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Cor Leonis said:

Do you mind posting a screenshot of this oddity? I don't ever remember encountering this, but my latest playthrough was on real hardware through a flashcart. Part of me says your concern might be an emulation error and not an actual problem with the patch.

20170630_101250.png

Thats from drastic, i'll have to check it on my flashcart tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...