Favourite Children of Fates

FleetofFeet

Children of Fates  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Male Child

2. 2. Favourite Female Child

Hard choice... I went ahead and chose Shigure for my dude choice because I absolutely adore his design as well as his voice. He's not a bad unit either. (I really wanted a lovely male pegasus knight, and he fulfilled my wishes!) (But Percy and Forrest are both honorable mentions for being awesome.) And then I picked Ophelia because she has potential to be a magical powerhouse, and her chemistry with her father is the absolute best! (I also adore Nina and Midori for always being amazing units.) 

P.S. Should Forrest be moved to the section for the guys? 

For males, it'd have to be Forrest. I like how passionate he is about more feminine things, and how he doesn't care about what others think about him. He's pretty generous, too, wanting to make clothes for others as shown in his Supports with F!Corrin and Midori (heck, he MADE F!Corrin's wedding dress). Plus, that one crit line: "I'M stunning, YOU'RE dead!"

For females...it'd have to be Rhajat. Unpopular opinion, I know. Bias most likely plays some part of it, since I liked Tharja from Awakening and how I can marry her as F!Corrin. But apart from that, her Supports show that she's not all bad; her Support with her mother showed how concerned she was about the health of a village with sick people, and how she tracked down a rare herb in order to cure them. She went out of her way to make something for Mitama that'd help her with her haikus, and the two just got along so well.

(...it's only a shame that Treehouse decided to trash her unique Support with F!Corrin. It was genuinely sweet and cute in the Japanese version, but instead WE got...more stalking.)

It also helps that these two are rather good units, or at least they were for me.

Not voting until Forrest is in the male section, but for me:

Males: Forrest. (in the japanese version at least) He actually struggles with feeling horribly alienated by others, including his dad, but ultimately puts being himself above it. It's just really nice to see him give it his all and become awesome in his own way. Great character in both concept and execution.

Female: Mitama. I do enjoy how she can be quirky without it feeling obnoxious, and her haikus are always interesting to me. I also like her supports with Shara/Rhajat. Gameplay wise, she is also a true monster when mothered by Effie.

I cheated and was able to vote for my two favorite children: Shiro and Forrest. 

That said, I like Shiro because he is rightly snarky—towards his father. Unlike the majority of the children, Shiro expresses his completely justified anger towards being ditched in Baby Realm. He is also frustrated towards the expectations placed on him by his father, Ryoma, despite said Lobster Lord Jr. never being present to teach him—or even inform him—about such duties. I can't say I'm a fan of his support with Ryoma—as a matter of fact, I dislike it—as it is reminiscent of Cordelia/Severa, in which the parent doesn't even acknowledge the emotional trauma their child has gone through in part because of them. That said, I also appreciate that, despite his less than perfect childhood, he is a pretty friendly, optimistic, determined puppy dog of a character (Why can't he and Hinata support?) that also happens to be a pretty useful unit in battle.

Forrest, I love the notion behind his character. Being unafraid and unashamed of the things one likes. I'm more partial towards the ENG portrayal of him, to be honest; he is confident in his choices and hobbies, but a simple word can allow insecurity to seep into the cracks and crumble that brave facade.

Shiro's great in all the important ways, having a personality that makes him both relatable and likeable without ever relying on a specific trope. He comes across as one of the most genuine characters in the entire series, and it pains me that he's an effectively non-canon child unit who's also super tough to recruit if you postpone hooking Ryouma up with someone. He's one of the five characters from the game I really, really like, and I find it strange how they managed to make him so much more interesting than his father, who's supposed to be a main character/major supporting character.

As for the women, I must say that contrary to Awakening where I liked the female second generation characters more, I don't particularly care for anyone here. I guess Mitama can be fun, but I voted for Caeldori because of her support with Shiro, since it's a great mini story for both of them and one of my favorite supports in the series. 

Edited by Thane

Siegbert and Forrest.

Siegbert is a nice, dorky guy who closely resembles the earlier lords. To me Sieg comes off as more of an old school Fire emblem character who has a personality without relaying on a gimmick. A lot of the things he does and says are also very sweet.

Forrest had a lot of pitfalls he could have fallen into but he avoids them all. Forrests issues aren't a running gag and its generally handled very tastefully. Forrest also has some nice debt to him. Despite how he looks and his meek behavior Forrest seems pretty strong willed and is even the leader of his little group in Heirs of fate. 

Not voting until Forrest is in with the males.

My favorite female is Midori. Her personal skill is one of the best in the game, and it was really fun giving her Profiteer and Hoshidian Unity and instakilling lategame enemies - it helps that all her crit quotes are good.

Edited by Bandido Banderas

I'd really have to say Shiro. I've married him in a few files and I very much enjoy his personality. He's a jock, but without most of the negative aspects that come from that branding. He's ridiculously friendly, easygoing, and accepting. And I think he's a great dad for Kana. His conflict with Ryouma is definitely understandable, and I think it makes him even more of an interesting character. His insecurities are subtler than his counterpart, Siegbert's, are. 

For female units, Eponine is probably my favorite. She's friendly and snarky, but is usually quite helpful towards her friends. Her yaoi-obsessed side is an interesting quirk? And I think her supports with her mother are great, in terms of humor. I usually have Nyx be her mom, so I guess they can bond over romantic literature?

Males: Hisame. My main criterium for liking or disliking characters in any type of story is always the same question: Would I hang out with them IRL? Hisame is one of those characters. The guy actually surprised me with how different he was from what I was expecting. I thought he was going to be an arrogant, stuck-up piece of hot garbage, but he is actually a nice enough fellow if you read his supports. He may be a bit bland, but in the face of such over the top pricks (not naming any names here, you know who I'm talking about), his blandness comes off as a nice distraction.

Females: Ophelia. I like her cute, endearing personality and the genuine kindness she shows in her supports with others. Her supports with Corrin and Male Kana especially were pretty touching, funny and sweet. And, of course, the prelude to her Paralogue has to be one of the funniest bits in FE history, right after Frederick's "I fear my derrière is not worthy". Of course, she's also possibly the best magic user you can get in the entire game, but that is secondary to me. I'd use her even if she was the worst unit in Fire Emblem period (looking kind of at you, Nyx... it always breaks my heart to admit that, though).

I would have voted for Velouria, as my reasons for liking her are pretty much the same as Ophelia's (minus the magic user part, obviously), but you can't vote for two people T_T

Males: Shiro - Easily my favorite 2nd gen character in Fates. I love how he is the only child that doesn't have a single gimmick that defines all his supports. He's got many layers to his personality, from his insecurities at the thought of inheriting the throne that he wants to surpass his dad (a reason why he uses the naginata rather than the katana) to the approachable, bro-like attitude. He also makes a great contrast to his father personality-wise; Shiro is laid back while Ryoma is super serious most of the time. Shiro is also one of the few characters who calls out how stupid the Deep Realms are and has a genuine relationship with his dad that reflects that, and I just a number of his quotes ("Big Cheese of Hoshido" never gets old hahaha). He's also an awesome and reliable unit; you can't go wrong with Spear Fighters!

Females - Honestly, there isn't a female child that I really care for in Fates. I picked Selkie for the poll mostly because of her design, being a decent unit in my playthroughs, and having a cute personality (although she is quite one-note, hence why she isn't someone I care for all that much). Some other females that I liked include Velouria (mainly for her performance as a unit; I'm not a fan of her personality), Sophie (solid unit and rather adorable), and Nina (for her Robin-hood aspect to her, not the Yaoi-obseession side of her).

Kiragi for the male children, undoubtedly. He's the sweetest, most adorable and sunniest character in the entire series, to the point that he even manages to get edgelord Takumi to calm down and stop downing himself all the time. He isn't even mad when Takumi reveals that he lied to him out of fear and envy that Kiragi might surpass him one day. Kiragi is best child. His cheer could raise anyone's spirits.

Female was an easy choice with Ophelia. I love the contrast between her and Odin; he's loud and bombastic, while she's more soft-spoken with her intensity, delivering them with just as much sincerity as Odin does. Her lines are very amusing as well, and just the whole "dark and edgy" chosen one angle is pretty hilarious. Her adoration for her father was very sweet, and their support conversation is one of the best in Fates imo as far as feels go. Not to mention, she was more useful in gameplay than her father for me (I paired Odin with Selena, so she was doubling everything and critting most of the time).

I will very honestly say that if I were to pick a single unit out of the entirety of the 2nd gen, it is undoubtedly Shiro the Hero!

Otherwise, I'm actually rather indifferent to the rest tbh, but for the sake of the poll, I'm going Mitama cause she spits barz