Returning Mechanics

i wish they make the game can only be played in classic mode 1st time playing the game, casual mode will unlock at some point of the game ( like when you 1st get character kill ) or when you beat easy mode. That way newcomers will know the pain losing units without noticing it and that feeling only come once.

On 2/22/2017 at 5:09 PM, Slumber said:

Doing this requires so much effort for so little payoff. It, by and large, also is indicative of poor character design in and of themselves.

Volke ONLY supporting with Bastion says more about Bastion and Volke than 30 different supports where Volke says nothing of substance.

If it was realistic to have 60+ soldiers all talking with each other all the time in between battles, if IS was capable of writing 30+ supports for each of those characters, and if there was actually any reason for it beyond just making babies, sure. Shoot for the moon with crazy supports.

But this really isn't the case, and until IS can create an AI to write immaculate characters and character interactions in seconds, it ain't ever gonna be the case. I'd rather see handfuls of characters have meaningful conversations/actual character development with characters that make sense for them, than see how many candy puns Gaius can make in 20 lines of dialogue upwards of 60 times with people like Panne, who likes carrots, or Tharja, who likes stalking and curses.

This. All of this. I've always been less of a fan of RD stripped down generic supports with everyone, and to a lesser extent, the abundance of Awakening and Fates supports, many of which were unremarkable and/or boring/generic.

Give me classic POR supports, please.

Meaningful conversations that exposed things about both characters. Not a conversation about baking pies.

On 2/22/2017 at 5:14 PM, TheNiddo said:

FE2 is somewhere in between classic FE and Awakening/Fates style FE, and they're adding in Casual Mode on top of it. I don't think it will be that divisive as much as a resounding "meh" in reception. Neither fanbase completely satisfied, but neither will hate it. Something different and something to tide people over until FE Warriors comes out.

Casual is a good business decision. Newcomers will be able to play without the permadeath scaring them away. And it's optional, so it's all good imo.

....Phoenix was a bit much, though. Took a little too much of the challenge out of the game, provided you didn't just use it to fill support log or breeze through to get all of the story.

Edited by Extrasolar

Fates reclassing - I like it because any one can be anything, but you gotta work for that. you gotta put some work to make Azura a berserker, and doing stupid shit like that is fine by me. besides, it's a single player game, don't want to reclass? Don't do it.

Skill Capacity or Skill slots - makes sense to me. Only hold a certain amount of skills

Hybrid classes - I know not a lot of people like these, but in fates, some characters actually have decent strength and magic growths to make it work in hybrid classes. Azura has a 25% magic growth, which could be useable. Sakura is pretty fucking strong for a healer at a 30% strength growth. Saizo is running around with a 50% str, 45% mag growth. Scarlet and Oboro have a 20% magic growth. Not much compared to magic units, but it's something.

Dual guard/attack stance - only in this case, the only stat dual guard gives is movement depending on the class

A proper avatar customization - let me customize the class god damn it I'm also a sucker for customization anywhere

Different versions of the same weapon - Like the sword/katana

fates daggers - but only useable at 2 range

no weapon durability - I like the debuffs. Sure, the weapon system isn't perfect, but this is the second time out of 14 games they've gone without durability. And the first time was FE2

Light magic - Except it buffs the users and/or allies after cast

Dark magic - Not so straight forward spells, or spells that have an affect. nosferatu, or maybe a knock-off imhullu which increases def and res by 5 when user initiates attack.

Combine the magic triangle with the weapon triangle - The magic triangle was cool and all, but it hardly mattered because magic units had high res, so the damage was minimal. Sword/anima > Axes/dark > Lances/light or something like that

Controllable Allies - More in the sense of PoR and RD where you can give commands to the allies, not directly control them

Home Castle/MyCastle - A hub world where you can go about and organize yourself. Buy items, sell shit, promote, access DLC or whatever, view supports, yada yada yada

Tellius cav promotion - Cavs can choose their side-arm

Branching promotion - might be a doosy when combined with reclassing, but i've thought about an idea for it.

GBA + Fates weapon caps - In the GBA games, you can choose which weapon to S-rank whereas in fates you didn't have a choice. Leave the S-ranks to the mono-weapon classes, but allow the player to choose whether they want A axes B swords or vice versa

Limited supports - not in the GBA 5 supports per characters, but characters can only support with a small amount of people. 

Gay S-supports - you know... for the rest of the people in the community that came out a bit weird

Tellius cav promotion not limited to cavs - but also the knights, maybe pagasi, and maybe wyverns.

On 2/24/2017 at 5:38 PM, RiverRed said:

i wish they make the game can only be played in classic mode 1st time playing the game, casual mode will unlock at some point of the game ( like when you 1st get character kill ) or when you beat easy mode. That way newcomers will know the pain losing units without noticing it and that feeling only come once.

That's a bit...odd isn't it? I mean why have it unlocked at some point.

I get it, that's what FE is about..permadeath but that's about as handholding as its going to get from this point on. There's really no other way to give handholding options besides implementing Lyn's tale.

Rescue, Canto, Shoving

The Magic Triangle: I quite liked the way it worked in FE 7 so I am fine with that. 

Genealogy Weapon Durability: So stuff can break but be repaired. 

Three Tier Promotion 

Supports: But maybe have less of them. 

Knives: From fates. 

On 3/7/2017 at 0:29 AM, Harvey said:

That's a bit...odd isn't it? I mean why have it unlocked at some point.

I get it, that's what FE is about..permadeath but that's about as handholding as its going to get from this point on. There's really no other way to give handholding options besides implementing Lyn's tale.

The only pain I feel is annoyance when I lose a unit. Honestly, it's jarring if you played almost any other SRPG. Having Casual be unlockable wouldn't just be odd, it'd be terrible. 

Edited by Augestein

On 3/10/2017 at 6:22 PM, Augestein said:

The only pain I feel is annoyance when I lose a unit. Honestly, it's jarring if you played almost any other SRPG. Having Casual be unlockable wouldn't just be odd, it'd be terrible. 

Me too, I don't know why I have this prejudices against casual mode and keep forcing myself to play on normal mode (I do have bias for permdeath because I did started with FE8). Every-time a small mistake or unlucky RNG forced me to reset and especially when I got a good level up really tended me to smash my 3DS. I am slowly adopting to casual mode hoping that I won't drop out of it halfway in Fates. I will be piss off if I can't choose casual in the beginning for the next game.