Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Just now, Arcanite said:

That's what I initially thought they'd do, but I guess they really want to makes us sweat for one season, and give us a breather for the other XD

Also, my score:

I am in tier 15

Score: 4,526

Rank in tier: 5,264

So far I'm going to rank up to 16, but not 17!

No defense wins though :/

I've had no problems getting above 4600 without trying before this. My methods of chucking people at things until they die... oh my beautiful, highly inept methods v.v

Oh well. I'll see where I get to :) I've only had three goes so far. Might burn through a few crests, when I get home, to get used to it.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deathless run on my first try, for a total of 4792 points.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2017-05-09-16-31-23.thumb.png.f78b11d5b73204ba7741fb7191b12a2e.png

I'm currently ranked #123 in tier 13, which means I'll probably go up 3 tiers. Quite nice. Same team as last week, and thanks to the new maps, everyone had time to shine. Ike and Ephraim held fortresses like champs, Soren annihilated blues and greys, and Tharja nuked all things not blue. I'm really fond of this team, it's going to be tough having to modify it  next week.

General strategy was splitting my team in to pairs to the very left and very right, making sure each pair was at a disadvantage from the enemies closest to them. That way, the CPU would split at the beginning, I'd immediately regroup on turn 2, and now with a scattered enemy army, I just had to pick them apart one by one. Easier said than done on some battles, specially the last one which I won just because the AI prioritizes attacking over dancing (which isn't a good Idea for Ninian if her attack is going to be directed to a Raven TA Soren in a fort :D ).

Edited by Taim Meich

Holy Naga, those changes spice things up a bit. Previously always in the top 10k of players, now I get a new personal best score and still feel like I will be easily surpasssed by the end of the week, though a rank up to 16 should be secured.. Deathless is now way easier for SI teams I feel, and the space, oh my god the space, screw you all Reinfarts (I like that one @Arcanite) and dancers, you aren't smart enough anymore to ruin all my runs. Also I have to use Mist.....,( gurl, I like you, I really do, but I wanted your brother, his gigolo and the red queen as well....... I'm just salty, sorry babe), both on the offensive and my defense. I wonder how I would fare with 4 great units and not just three.

Also, wth is up with my defense score? You all thought you could just roflstomp my Mist-lead team? BAM, 5 successful defenses. I am kinda surprised to be honest, as I don't think a healer is really that great on the new maps. They still just do nothing spectacular, imo.

In short, I really dig the changes at the moment.

So, finally did a deathless run, which costed me tons of Dueling Crests, but I'm pretty happy with my final score:

44ae0dad11.jpg

The team shown was my offense team while the defense team was Ike/Nowi/Takumi/Azura

If this holds out, I'll probably be bumped to tier 17.

But I must say, Lukas on a defense tile is ridiculous. He already had absurd defense at 47, but the tiles brings it to an effective 61 Def. I once had a moment of fright when a WoM Hector teleported next to him, but he didn't even do 10 damage.

I've nearly filled up all those slots for all my characters, but I still have the impression I'm getting a lower score per run than previously :unsure: . Maybe IS doesn't like mage emblem... even though mage emblem really likes those new maps :D: . Alas, I'll do a first run for deathless, and then might need to swap for more melee characters... In the end score doesn't matter as much anymore. I'll consider once I see how tough it is to make top 5% in tier 15.

On a side note: We can actually evaluate how many people play Heroes on a regular basis. At the end of the season it would be nice to have a list how many people were in each tier. I'm surprised how many people go for deathless runs on day 1 :blink: . Wasting those crests that come throughout the week...

1 hour ago, Cute Chao said:

I think a WoM Hector left me in a bad mood, because one unit that should have died (SAAAAAALT!!!) didn't -.-

A Hector suddenly flew at my Ninian and tried to cleave her in half. A stray Linde then finished her off because I screwed up with positioning and stuff.
It was my only death on the current successful run, on the two bridges and a platform inbetween map.

A score of 4,714 is rank 3,296 in tier 15 atm, and I am qualified to rise two tiers if the season ended today. (but of course it won't)

Will of course try again later this week. I wonder if 4,800 is beatable with my team.
This would require fishing for teams worth at least 686 points though, and I get everything between 678 and 688.

EDIT: lol @Arcanite your score and lack of defence wins, what will you brag about this time?

Edited by Vaximillian

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

A Hector suddenly flew at my Ninian and tried to cleave her in half. A stray Linde then finished her off because I screwed up with positioning and stuff.
It was my only death on the current successful run, on the two bridges and a platform inbetween map.

Will of course try again later this week. I wonder if 4,800 is beatable with my team.
This would require fishing for teams worth at least 686 points though, and I get everything between 678 and 688.

Hah, managed to prevent a double post :P::P::P: (couldn't help the amusement).

Anyhow... something tells me you'd have to burn a ton of crest to get all those 686+ from the 678~688 range.

9 minutes ago, Skala_Bundet said:

Anyhow... something tells me you'd have to burn a ton of crest to get all those 686+ from the 678~688 range.

Obviously, yeah. Which is why I'm only wondering. I'm almost out of crests anyway, just 6 left in my inventory.
I haven't been exactly economical, you see.

Edited by Vaximillian

The arena changes are interesting. I especially like the prospect of getting orbs in addition to getting feathers! I did a deathless run with Azura, Ike, Reinhardt, and Cherche for 4,780 points, which places me at 461 in Tier 14, at least for now. The new maps are also nice, although there are perhaps too many defense tiles in some of them.

4 hours ago, Clogon said:

I spy a Caeda. What are her IV's and the skills you gave her??? I am having trouble finding a use fore mine. :(

Sorry the late reply

I love Caeda/Shiida, she is one of my favorite fliers in the franchise, along with Catria

Well, my Caeda always kills hectors and green mages without problems. I decided to keep her darting blow so she can always double

And for the B slot i gave her drag back, it is pretty useful, in case she doesnt kill a unit (specially ranged unit) she drags them back and then someone else can kill them

Basically, I didnt change anything, i just added the B skill

Rally speed is also useful, but you can change depending on your team

And mine is +def -res, I am planning on giving her something like iceberg (i havent decided yet)

3 hours ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Also, wth is up with my defense score? You all thought you could just roflstomp my Mist-lead team? BAM, 5 successful defenses. I am kinda surprised to be honest, as I don't think a healer is really that great on the new maps. They still just do nothing spectacular, imo.

I'm extremely curious what your defense team looks like.  Its making me wonder if having Cecilia outfront is indeed causing people to simply skip my team over.  I flipped Zephiel infront for the time being.

My one regret this season is that I trained up Zephiel for my bonus unit (still 4*). Vanilla 4* armor on defense is the definition of 'curried, lol.' Selena got me 2 def wins already, though, so I probably won't miss the 400 feathers too much from the bonus unit defense score.

13 minutes ago, Katrisa said:

I'm extremely curious what your defense team looks like.  Its making me wonder if having Cecilia outfront is indeed causing people to simply skip my team over.  I flipped Zephiel infront for the time being.

I could imagine my Mist being the reason people are not skipping on me, but I will probably never know. My team is Mist (Put whatever I could find on her to increase score, HP +, Live to serve and the 7+heal depending on current health), Ryoma +2 (Standard Fury,Vantage build), Spring Lucina (standard Bladetome, Desperation build), Nowi (standard TA, Quick Riposte Build). As you can see, my team is nothing special and just decked out with SI.

Edited by MonkeyCheez3K

I ended up blowing all of my dueling swords fishing for only battles worth 694 points and up, but I ended up never getting a full deathless streak :/

I'll probably be forced to just settle with getting a score in the low 4.8k range, but I won't be able to complete a streak until Thursday at the earliest since I can only rely on daily refreshes now.

4 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I ended up blowing all of my dueling swords fishing for only battles worth 694 points and up, but I ended up never getting a full deathless streak :/

I'll probably be forced to just settle with getting a score in the low 4.8k range, but I won't be able to complete a streak until Thursday at the earliest since I can only rely on daily refreshes now.

Do you log in on miiverse? It gives you 60 points every week if you login to the eshop and miiverse. That's how I got so many crests and stamina potions over time.

5 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Do you log in on miiverse? It gives you 60 points every week if you login to the eshop and miiverse. That's how I got so many crests and stamina potions over time.

Oh, no, I haven't. I've linked my MyNintendo account but didn't know Miiverse gave stuff too. Thanks for the tip!

I think I just need to rethink my strategy and team composition though. In previous Arena seasons, a lot of my strategy relied on using glass cannons to ORKO, but that's made more difficult with the new defense maps. I haven't quite figured out yet how to best change team comp and playstyle to accommodate, but hopefully I'll get a handle on things by the end of the week. 

Hold on, so is there any estimate as to what tier you'll get if it's a 7 deathless streak? Can anyone confirm that it's safe to move up a tier if say you only had 2-3 deaths throughout the streak? Use tier 15 as an example.

3 minutes ago, Falcom said:

Hold on, so is there any estimate as to what tier you'll get if it's a 7 deathless streak? Can anyone confirm that it's safe to move up a tier if say you only had 2-3 deaths throughout the streak? Use tier 15 as an example.

There's no way to know yet where things will end up by the end of the week.

3 minutes ago, Falcom said:

It has less to do with deaths and more about how many points you've actually scored. Dying just takes points off of what you normally would have earned from a game.

If you're scoring at around 680-690 range T17 is a safe bet assuming no deaths. Then again, the season just started so that's liable to change.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

There's no way to know yet where things will end up by the end of the week.

2 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

It has less to do with deaths and more about how many points you've actually scored. Dying just takes points off of what you normally would have earned from a game.

If you're scoring at around 680-690 range T17 is a safe bet assuming no deaths. Then again, the season just started so that's liable to change.

Yeah maybe I'm a bit too impatient. I just wanna know the rankings for those who gotten a complete streak with no deaths. Guess I'll ask later down the week.

Also T17? As in tier 17? Might be wrong but is anyone actually at that tier?

2 minutes ago, Falcom said:

Yeah maybe I'm a bit too impatient. I just wanna know the rankings for those who gotten a complete streak with no deaths. Guess I'll ask later down the week.

Also T17? As in tier 17? Might be wrong but is anyone actually at that tier?

Right now, no. 

But the top 1000 or so (idr the exact number) people currently in Tier 15 will jump up to Tier 17 at the end of the week. 

EDIT: I was way off. It's just the top 10% (which is currently ranks 1 - 4715)

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

@Falcom, I'm set to jump from T15 to T17 assuming I don't get booted out of top cut this week.

The vast majority of the playerbase is clustered around 14-17.

EDIT: Let me reiterate. Give it a few weeks and the majority of the player base will settle at around that range.

Edited by MrSmokestack

12 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

@Falcom, I'm set to jump from T15 to T17 assuming I don't get booted out of top cut this week.

The vast majority of the playerbase is clustered around 14-17.

EDIT: Let me reiterate. Give it a few weeks and the majority of the player base will settle at around that range.

That doesn't sound quite right. Tier 17 and below put up many more players than they put down, so below Tier 17, the tier sizes should start shrinking quite a bit. Meanwhile, there's plenty of room in the upper tiers, so when things settle a bit, most players should actually be in Tier 17+ (~70%). The Tier 14-17 range should only end up with ~50% of players (with quite a bit of overlap because of Tier 17 being so large, being between a primarily-up tier and a primarily-down tier).

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 3.01.31 PM.png

These numbers certainly aren't exact, since they assume a perfect equilibrium which will never exist because of new players constantly joining Tier 7, but they should be a reasonable estimate.

Edited by Othin

8 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

but he seemed pretty content angsting behind everyone.

this made me bust out laughing

man it seems like armor teams are gonna have a fun time with this! especially with distant counter, just chilling out on defense tiles with Hones, Goads, Fortifies, and Spurs galore stacked up on 'em. i really hope i don't have to run into that rip Amphy. my team is pretty tanky so i think these maps will be good for me and i'll be able to capitalize on those defenses, but who knows.